Browse SketchUp Reviews

Alain Jove from Telecommunications

Sketchup and 3D Modeling made easy

Overall, the functionalities are great and the price is just right for it. Although it just takes time to learn the tricks but it is worth it. Also, I had a few exchanges with support and was pleased they gave me the answers in a timely manner. I was inquiring about using a house decoration in my design. Just making sure what the permissions from the owner of the model allows me..

Pros

I like Sketchup because it makes 3D modeling easier. I used to think that similar apps on 3D modeling is complicated and to the point that you'd have to be an architect or engineer yourself to do it. For me, hearing CAD designing is somewhat a complicated process. But with this, I'm happy to have those house designs materialize. It is easy and you won't lose your way basing your reference lines on the X,Y, and Z axis. It is also awesome because you can snap your lines to align with any axis. These are models for windows, doors, appliances to decorate your home with, and you can even download for more. And the best part for me is to have that guy model walk around your house design to give you a feel of your finished product.

Cons

Using the browser can be a bit of a pain sometimes as I had a few times of lagging when your design details accumulate. But the app works seamlessly. I'm not sure with other browsers but I tried it with Chrome and Firefox but haven't used it with Opera and Edge. In the apps, there are just a very few times when the lines don't align and there can be gaps on the walls if you mess around a lot with skewing and stretching the surfaces but it can be fixed and you can initially lock the lines into groups so that you can ensure it stays the same and locked in place, and also for ease of duplication.

Reasons for Choosing SketchUp

The apps I mentioned were just too complicated for me as a beginner at that time. Sketchup tools are easier to use and there's tons of Youtube videos to give you a crash course as I was so excited to jump in and do my models right away.

Fayeba from Invent Graphic

It make 3D Arts simple and easy

As of now SketchUp is the best programming for 3D displaying which is furnished with heaps of highlights which are inaccessible in elective programming. Also, requiring low execution while working extremely smooth is extraordinary. A few entanglements will happen assuming you do complex plans yet for general purposes this is awesome. Can be utilized even by a novice without confronting issues.

Pros

I expected to plan a few structures and utilized SketchUp to make a 3D model. Before I utilized SketchUp I thought 3D demonstrating was hard however with SketchUp, model was done effectively and had the option to encounter how it would take care of development. What's more, with 3D stockroom include I had the option to make exceptionally sensible reproduction making the plan interaction very more straightforward. Indeed, even as a novice SketchUp was straightforward and powerful instrument. Got many devices to help clients in demonstrating. Best component is in SketchUp is stroll around choice which will give genuine reproduction how the last plan will be. Additionally SketchUp got extraordinary modules which will set aside both time and cash of an originator. With 3D stockroom and expansion distribution center a client can assemble any plan utilizing next to no work. What makes SketchUp the best 3D plan programming is not normal for any option is capacity to run as expected in any PC. Most CAD programming require a top of the line PCs with superior execution framework yet SketchUp turns out great in any average PC.

Cons

Utilizing SketchUp through program was slacking and extremely more slow contrasted and introduced rendition. Furthermore, I confronted issues with holes in dividers and floors in the event that you interfere with it multiple times. Likewise SketchUp need to move up to make complex plans on the grounds that as of now it's difficult to do as such.

Anthony from A J Ross

Industry: Animation

Good, but not great

As a user of several 3D software applications (Maya/3DS Max/ZBrush), I would consider this one to be best suited for beginners of Architectural Design and for those that are just looking to generate a basic visual image for a pitch.

Pros

I found it easy and quick to learn because it has a basic interface setup. SketchUp provides free training courses for anyone to signup for. You have the opportunity to add plugins and create animated features.

Cons

In my experience using this platform, the final outcome of project designs are not always completely clean looking. Instead, some results have rough edges to a straight object such as a rather pixelated door frame. I found that it lacked the potential of adding additional features that could enhance material detail such as wood or steel to make it look realistic. The more information you add to a project then the slower the commands eventually get such as rotating around the layout.

Sanda from Homevision GmbH

Great 3D Modeling software

Overall I am very satisfied with Sketchup. It is compatible with most other softwares, that I use. Because of the affordability of the software, it is a great addition to my main drawing softwares and is a great tool for editing 3D Models, which I mostly use it for.

Pros

I like the rather simple use of sketchup, how easy it is to edit even the tiniest parts of an object. It allows me to edit or form objects, that I can't edit with f.e. Archicad. I also love, that the software is very affordable, that was the main point for me to even try it out, cause I did not have to spend crazy amounts of money to properly learn or trial the software. As I do not use it as main main software, the price is affordable enough for me to still buy it as an extra.

Cons

As easy it is to use, if your model gets too big or you import a certain amount of objects into sketchup, it starts to lag and it gets really annoying to move around the project. I do have a powerful PC, so it is not always the problem of your PC. Sketchup could include more free features and add ons for modeling.

Ryan from Temple University

A great place to start with 3D modeling

As an amateur "maker" working with 3D printing and fabrication on a small scale, I've found SketchUp to be sufficient for my needs. I keep finding new and surprising things that I can do with it, and while certain functions remain a little mysterious, it is easy enough to use that almost anyone can make something useful right out of the box.

Pros

I was able to get started with SketchUp right out of the proverbial box even though I had literally no experience with, or knowledge of, CAD software or 3D modeling. I knew that SketchUp had originated as a Google product back in the day, and so I thought it would be a relatively simple place to start (I was looking specifically for a tool to design objects for 3D printing). Without much fuss, it is entirely possible for a newbie to design and export effective models and 3D files, and with continued tinkering, you can do some really impressive work with the software.

Cons

The software is very powerful, but there are some odd quirks that can take some time to resolve. For example, there is no built-in tool to draw a three-dimensional sphere, and you have to follow several steps to do this. It can also be frustrating (and, in some cases, impossible) to use the software as-is to do certain things (e.g., making sure an object is in fact "solid"), and you have to rely on third-party plugins that vary considerably in their quality and usefulness. I also don't like that SketchUp seems to have discontinued its "free" version/license altogether and replaced it with the buggy and ill-featured "SketchUp for Web" app--they've priced the license very ambitiously which I think will unfortunately put it out of reach for a lot of people.

Reasons for Choosing SketchUp

Cheaper, more accessible, less intimidating

Jay from Private

Not for Production

For someone that just needs to communicate concepts, ideas, shapes etc. - it's a great tool. Whether it be for a city submission or documentation, it can take you that far. Once you need to take it into fabrication or any sort of production it can work against you. Manufacturers will almost always need to rebuild/reconstruct your files into a real CAD format that can translate into CAD for grown-ups. Those people deal in precision and need things to equate to real numbers where things add up and can be changed into other real things. They will most likely charge you to rebuild your files. It is a nightmare to deal with Sketchup files as a manufacturer. The main problem is with curves. Sketchup exports curves and line segments. If you want to cut a curved object on let's say - a CNC router, a very small file that consists of a single vector curve will balloon into a huge file that is made hundreds or even tens-of-thousand straight-line sections to make that curve. That can crash some peoples routers. Now if you ask the manufacture to offset that curve in one direction or another....just forget about it if it came from Sketchup. If you plan to make real tangible objects from your drawings I suggest learning Rhino 3D. The learning curve is slightly higher but it can talk to the manufacturing world more easily and it's a lot easier to learn than AutoCAD.

Pros

It's very easy to use to create drawings and 3D models and renderings. It's actually fun to create in Sketchup

Cons

I hate to receive construction drawings from customers who design in Sketchup.

Nigel from CAD International

My take on SketchUp

Brilliant software that i had the privilege of being the distributor for for some time.

Pros

Ridiculously easy to use if you follow some basic rules and principals. Makes 'dumb' 3D models with ease. Works super well with all our other CAD software as a compliment to them. In landscape we use landworkscad which links directly, in architecture we use ARCHLine.XP which links directly, For rendering we use Lumion and Archlinexp live, both have live links.

Cons

Sometimes too easy to select items you don't want to and sometimes hard to manipulate if you are zoomed too far in or out.

Reasons for Choosing SketchUp

We use Sketchup in conjunction with other software

Jennifer from Architect

Industry: Architecture & Planning

The modeling software with the most complete library

Especially when I want to model architectural interiors, sketchup is the best option, because it allows me to detail each scene with the most usual and unusual objects that I would find in it.

Pros

SketchUp has the most complete library of modeled objects. From complete projects, to the smallest details useful to set a model.

Cons

Sometimes SketchUp closes unexpectedly without saving automatic changes, which causes you to lose hours of work.

Reasons for Choosing SketchUp

I choose SketchUp for its wide and varied object library.

Anish from Brut design studio

Industry: Architecture & Planning

One of the best software out there, need some refinements

Pretty great experience with this software as it has been a foundation to my career as an Architect

Pros

Love the interfaces as it were easy to understand and layman can understand yhe software with practice. Very simple tools. Great previewing

Cons

The software is getting optimized with more and features, but the material pallet remains the same since day 1. Updated material pallette can do wonders.

Andrew from CHRISTIE OVERHEAD DOOR

TECHNICAL SUPPORT DOES NOT EXIST

I currently have a licencing issue and I can not resolve it due to an error with their online process. I am now forced to move all my work over to Solid Works at this point

Pros

Easy to use for simple drawings but has a lot limitations for modeling

Cons

This software is NOT ideal for modeling 3-D prints or proto-typing. There is NO way to get any technical support. I have called and left numerous messages and they do NOT call back, you are basically on your own

Reasons for Switching to SketchUp

I am sorry I did the customer support here is nonexistent

Juliette from University

SketchUp: An Intuitive Software for Young Designers

SketchUp is a great software for students learning to design. My peers and I always look forward to using SketchUp because we know that the program is intuitive but still filled with interesting features. Even if we don't know how to use these features initially, it is not hard to find easy instructions to figure out how they work.

Pros

My peers and I love using SketchUp for design projects. The software has always been intuitive and easy to use, even on Mac (which can be hard to find in other design software). The menu buttons are intuitive compared to AutoCad but there are still thousands of features to use. Creating a design in SketchUp takes significantly less long compared to other programs due to the easy design of the software. Even if I am using a feature that I've never used before on the program, it tends to be intuitive and I don't have to spend hours searching for solutions on the internet.

Cons

Some of the mouse/keypad functions are confusing, especially on Mac. I find it too easy to zoom in or out when I am working on a design if I'm just a keypad as I design. It is annoying to always have to correct this. I wish that features such as zoom in/out were not as sensitive to keypad changes.

Leures from EasyLean

Industry: Utilities

Ease of creating layouts

I have been using it for many years. All projects presented were praised by customers. I have already achieved professional highlights for using this software. I always recommend it to my contacts and give training on how to use it.

Pros

Tools for creating models are very easy to use and very close to a realistic view. It helps to quickly demonstrate to the client the idea of the proposed layout

Cons

Tools for creating tubes could be improved. There is a great need to design hydraulic utilities and projects

kashif Mehmood from Landsmith Landscape Gardening Works

Sketchup pro

Pros

It is very easy to use Especially for Architectural 3d modeling

Cons

Its material library is very limited especially plants and trees library

july from Arozi architect

December 2021

Meets the expectations of an architect.

Overall sketchup meets my needs with medium-sized projects.

Pros

The commands are intuitive and easy to use. The possibility to use the keyboard to move the project also makes it easier. The design itself is cool.

Cons

The paid version has a high price, and the program when it has many landscaping blocks is heavy. It could have a rendering option already included in the skecthup, example of the LUMION program.

Ignas from Rocket

The best in the field

Great

Pros

I have used a bunch of similar software tools but stayed with Sketchup because of the extensive model library and ease of use.

Cons

Rotating in three axes needs some practice.

Reasons for Switching to SketchUp

Better model library and more tools

Kiyoshi Guahyba from Lar

Sistema de desenho e CAD mais leve, simples e intuitivo que amo usar e ensinar!

Consigo ensinar de modo muito objetivo e dinâmico o uso totalmente intuitivo das ferramentas e os recursos.

Pros

A possibilidade de trabalho online sem a instalação de nenhum aplicativo local e a leveza de poder usar recursos de alta definição e detalhes mesmo com um computador com recursos básicos.

Cons

Estão demorando a adaptar uma versão para mobile.

Reasons for Choosing SketchUp

Não exige uma instalação, tem versão gratuita e roda em computadores com poucos recursos de processamento.

Reasons for Switching to SketchUp

Custo do produto e do hardware exigido.

Sebastian from descomanian- YouTube

Easy to use 3D Design Software

Good experience overall

Pros

The Software is easy to use also for Beginners. The Software UI is clean overall. It’s easy to Modell what you want in a Short time.

Cons

The Pro Version is really expensive. For Beginners or hobbyists which what’s more desktop software functionality it wouldn’t be the right choice.

Reasons for Switching to SketchUp

Sketchup is better to start with 3d Modelling.

Chanaka from Maga Engineering

Industry: Civil Engineering

Made my design works very easy

Currently SketchUp is the best software for 3D modelling which is equipped with loads of features which are unavailable in alternative software. And requiring low performance while working very smooth is great. Some complications will occur if you do complex designs but for general purposes this is the best. Can be used even by a beginner without facing issues.

Pros

I needed to design several buildings and used SketchUp to create a 3D model. Before I used SketchUp I thought 3D modelling was hard but with SketchUp, model was done easily and was able to experience how it would look after construction. And with 3D warehouse feature I was able to create very realistic simulation making the design process quite easier. Even as a beginner SketchUp was simple and effective tool. Got many tools to help users in modelling. Best feature is in SketchUp is walk around option which will give real life simulation how the final design will be. Also SketchUp got great plugins which will save both time and money of a designer. With 3D warehouse and extension warehouse a user can build any design using very little effort. What makes SketchUp the best 3D design software is unlike any alternative is ability to run smoothly in any computer. Most CAD software require a high-end computers with high performance system but SketchUp works fine in just any mediocre laptop.

Cons

Using SketchUp through browser was lagging and very slower compared with installed version. And I faced issues with gaps in walls and floors if you meddle with it few times. Also SketchUp need to upgrade to create complex designs because presently it's hard to do so.

Reasons for Switching to SketchUp

SketchUp was very user friendly in 3D modelling and had many predesigned model which saved lot of time working as a designer.

Robyn from Freelance

Industry: Architecture & Planning

SketchUp: A good place to start your 3D modeling experience.

Apart from the occasional hiccup, my experience with the software has been great. Most of the challenges that I've faced was due to user error and due to habits that were hard to shake after switching to SketchUp. SketchUp is great for beginners and professionals alike.

Pros

Compared to other 3D modelling software that I've tried, SketchUp is by far the easiest to learn and even master. Though it comes with less tools and features than most other software, those that are there are exceptionally focused to to create simple models in an efficient manner. The 3D Warehouse is one of this software's best features for at the click of a button, you have access to a wide variety of models ranging from simple doors to incredibly detailed light fixtures. The user interface can be customized to your comfort and the wide range of plugins available in the plugin warehouse makes your modeling possibilities nearly endless. All the free videos that can be found online makes it really easy to learn the software without having to spend any additional funds.

Cons

With the existing features, one is limited to only creating simple models for the software doesn't handle complex curves very well. Though there are plugins that can help, there is only so much you can do. You'd want to keep your file size as small as possible because the program does lag when there is too much information to process. The software is very temperamental. On multiple occasions I've lost progress due to it crashing.

Reasons for Switching to SketchUp

I struggled a lot with learning to create 3D models in AutoCAD. I needed a software that is easier to learn and helps me be more efficient.

Amy from Dell

Industry: Computer Hardware

Amazing 3D modeling tool

I have designed multiple properties with this software. I don't know how I could have done it without this software. I have used it for site planning, 3D modeling of homes, geolocation and proper orientation. This has allowed me to be able to be creative without having to employ someone else (and wait for them) to draw up my designs. Really a game changer for me. I absolutely love this product.

Pros

I found Sketchup relatively easy to use compared to other comparable software. I was able to create 3D mockups rather quickly and able to move around the object with ease. I used this software to design an off-grid cabin - all the way down to the electrical schematics. The tool did not limit me in what I wanted to accomplish. I love the 3D Warehouse, where I was able to download furniture and other objects already created. I was also able to use the shadows window and geolocate my model to see how the sun would shine in the windows over the days and months. I adjusted my overhangs and orientation based on this to build an extremely comfortable cabin. Amazing software!

Cons

Because this software is so robust, it will take some training to be able to comprehend all of the features. Additionally, in later years it is no longer a client based application, but rather a web based application. The client side app is a much better product and does not require an internet connection for usage (other than the 3D warehouse). The geolocating feature is also now a paid/licensed feature that used to be free.

Price

Anees from Architecture & Planning

SketchUp - Unveil your imagination easily

Overall : ========== If you are using SketchUp for 3d models and building plan it’s a great software, and i find this too much user friendly and as easy as MS paint. But if u want to use this software for drawing sectional details and working drawings, u need to be an expert in getting output.

Pros

1) The biggest pro i like is less hardware demand i.e. You don’t need a heavy machine to use this software, a general configuration laptop does the work quite effectively unlike other softwares. You can import the finalized design in lumion and get a realistic render in no time and. 2) One good advantage of using SketchUp is the u can easily pull push the walls and apply the desired changes instantly and things gets finalized very fast. Whatever you want to imagine, you can apply instantly from painting to cladding to railing designs and wallpapers. 3) Being a designer, the biggest hurdle is the changes client wants, but in SketchUp the visualization and applying changes is super easy, you can sort it out in a meeting or two. It made around 30-40 percent increase in client understanding and project approval. 4) Another plus point i realized is the real time working screen is no less than a simple render other softwares have. And if you have time and know how to use SketchUp, you don’t need an interior designer for some scale projects as the library itself suggest you some great ideas.

Cons

1) The rendering part and you need to install different plugins for different works. 2) The library is great but limited, if u want to attach a luxury couch in the drawing room you will not have many great options. 3) Attaching a component to a certain place is bit time consuming as it takes at least 2 angles to see whether the component is fixed accurately or still have some space left here or there.

Reasons for Switching to SketchUp

Why I switched from AutoCAD to SketchUp: ====================================== Coming from a small as a small business owner in construction of residential and commercial buildings, SketchUp helped a lot in turning my clients in my favor. I was using AutoCAD before but since 2017 i have switched to SketchUp, practically no one is interested in learning about the section or plan view, if u can give then a 3d bird eye view from a 360-degree angle controlled by your mouse. You can give a feel your clients to enter their house, walk in their house and suggest and apply changes quickly. The real time screen does great job and avoids costing loss if those changes worked out during construction it will cost manpower and material loss.

Quinn from HEI

Fast, Easy Modeling With None of the Hassle

All in all, Sketchup’s purpose is for modeling subjects that pertain to architecture and structures, and to do so quickly. It can go into finer modeling subjects and it can do much, much more than just modeling, but not nearly as good as other programs can. If your needs are under a time constraint (such as most real-world job requirements) and you need to consistently model structures that don’t need a photo-realistic feel, Sketchup is the perfect tool for you.

Pros

Sketchup takes the complexity of modeling and design programs and delivers the power that you need but with none of the hassle. One of the best things about Sketchup is simply its ease of use. If you can think of a way to model something, you likely can within the program and if you can’t, there’s probably an extension built that you can download for that purpose. Additionally, Sketchup’s openness to new users is amazing. They have a free version which is still very powerful as well as numerous helpful training courses for users to explore. Finally, the programs inclusions of key tools makes it a game changer when compared to other programs. It has the ability to get specific and deep into the details of a model, should it be needed. But it really shines when your purpose is for fast modeling to give your audience that extra push. Sketchup provides tools that let you do just that, and do so quickly. Things like their Google Earth inclusion means that you can drop your model into a real world setting with very minimal working time.

Cons

It does, at times, feel like it has it has limitations, specifically when models get large and extremely detailed. It won’t matter how powerful your computer is, certain large models just won’t run well within the program. Also, features that are very important for my work either require separate programs or lots of extra work time to get right. Exporting into Adobe Illustrator is one of these workflow issues. You can export your Sketchup file into a 2D graphic, but there’s no easy way to do so if your model is dimensionally large as it won’t fit into your Illustrator file. Another pain point is finishing details. Sketchup allows you to play with lighting and textures, but sometimes their tools just are not enough. That’s required me to look further into other programs such as Blender.

Timmy from Epic Software

Advanced Software for 3-D Rendering Rookies

Anytime a 2-d layout or 3-d model needs to be rendered with great detail, but faster than any computer-assisted designers are available, this program has been extremely useful. It allows us to greatly reduce our time spent wondering if a design will "work" and more time actually implementing and testing the design.

Pros

I loved that this software pulled no punches when it came to number of features or the complexity of the layering, tie-point, and drawing tools. There was nothing stopping me from doing a deep-dive in to advanced 3-d modeled surfaces besides the fact that the menus are expansive.

Cons

There are no tutorials with this software, and there is also very little explicit integration into other programs that deal with rendered files (such as Adobe, Photoshop, Illustrator, or AutoCAD software). I feel like this software operates on an island- nothing interfaces natively.

Reasons for Choosing SketchUp

AutoCAD would have been prohibitively expensive for the number of product licenses we required. Also it's too advanced for our purposes (sketching, rather than design).

Reasons for Switching to SketchUp

Adobe Illustrator licenses needed constant updating and the program was overly complex for simple mock-ups.

Ed o from MODUN CONSULTING

Industry: Building Materials

3d design for everybody

1st time I heard about SKETCHUP was several years ago. I was looking for some fast sketching solution (preferable in 3d ) and search engine listed this program as near 1st position (and not a CAD). So, I clicked on the link and saw a fantastic piece of software. After some 8 or 9 years SKETCHUP is still on my computer. It's more poreful than several years before (form SKETCHUP 6, if I remember correctly), there are more materials, components and models (when 3d warehouse started it made a revolution of it's kind, enthusiast could show their models and companies could offer their products and services). Several things made me a follower/user of this program: simple to use, fast drawing, diferent type of finishing, cross-sections, user-friendly interface, diferent ways to achieve same results (by multyplaying or by dividing, by pulling or following,...), plenty of options and many special features that came during years. On of the first features was inserting a 3d object on GOOGLE EARTH (GOOGLE was a previous owner). That had a tremenduos effect and in short perid of time every city had many of landmarks made by SKETCHUP and inserted on maps. 3d warehouse was also an succesfull feature. Interesting feature, also, is "projection and perspective view". Changing this You can switch from "natural" 3d view to "geometrical" 3d view. This is MUST BE USED when You switch from designing to taking measures (hard to describe but imediately visible when used) Interesting feature, from a few version ago, is to match a photo. You simply load a photo (interior or exterior) and with help from program You model a 3d object, At the end You had a 3d model replica from photo with textures acquired from photo. If You are in real estate business, You understand what can be done regarding virtual demonstrations. Another nice feature is another warehouse - for extensions. With these addons You can have a completely different way of doing Your job, from drawing, designing or 3d printing. PRO version have some other usefull features that I like .DWG handling and several types of calculation, reporting (these are important part of my work with it) and exporting results. If You need a good sollution for 3d sketching, drawing or design, and You don't have time to learn a full CAD software this is software for You.

Pros

Simple tu use, fast drawing, starting 3d models and 3d warehouses, extensions, textures, importing of photos and materials, finishing, rendering options, drawing/sketching options, perspective changing, components and objects designing, friendly-used interface, cross-sections, active comunity,...

Cons

Many options are not visible or even expected. Without manual and (several) video tutorials many things that are simple to do You can't be done as they are not explained/offered. Switching axes sometimes is very irritating. Deleting a part of object sometimes cause un-expected results. Pushing/pulling sometimes cause small but irritating problems with surfaces.

Jeremy from Universal Creative

SketchUp is the Ultimate!

I absolutely love it! I use Sketchup Pro for small projects but just love the detail I can get with the program giving me a full blown idea of what my models will look like before anything has been physically constructed.

Pros

What can I say, the first time that I heard about Sketchup Pro was a few years back when I was developing a Haunted House attraction believe it or not. I needed a 3D modeling software that could help give me and idea of what it would be like to walk through and build it before anything was purchased. It allowed me to go through and find holes in the design plan that would have been very costly if I did not simulate it later down the road. The ease of use is so easy, any one from absolute beginner to expert level CAD designer can plug and play into Sketchup Pro! I also want to mention that it is a FUN product to use as well and the amount of features is incredible! From the 3D wear house to being able to make 3D renderings turn into 2D schematics is such an amazing feature. I have enjoyed using sketch pro so much that I have even taken a few online courses on how to become better and it makes the software my go-to for all my modeling needs. Anyone from small real estate firms, architectural and engineering businesses, down to the home haunter like myself, Sketch Up Pro is the one stop shop for all of your needs!

Cons

I really enjoy Sketchup Pro so there really is not a whole lot that I can say that is a problematic about it. The one thing that does stick out (and may be its only flaw) is the price tag attached to it for one license is a little steep. Now, even though I say that, the value and ROI of Sketchup Pro far surpasses the initial price tag. It really comes down to what you want to use it for, but no matter the case, it really is worth every penny that you pay for it!

Fast and easy 3D & 2D design software

SketchUp-Pro is generally easy to use, fast, convenient and much reliable. It has exposed me to newer designs and has allowed me to explore architecture even more. I’ll definitely go for the program over most other competitive software.

Pros

Most designers, regardless of their skill levels, find SketchUp-Pro one of the fastest and easiest CAD software programs for both creating and editing 3D & 2D designs. I bet this is mostly because of the thousands of models present in its intuitive toolbars and 3D Warehouse. What I like the most about the program are its customizable toolbars and large icons. These two features make it easy even for beginners. The software has no house wizard, but it still makes it simple to create all sorts of designs. It grants me access to the Trimble’s 3D warehouse. The Trimble’s 3D warehouse stocks thousands of models that I may download and use. This way I have access to lots of shared files together with a growing number of designs. The Program also has other built-in features such as the animations, lighting and textures effects. The Plugins are available to serve the purpose of advanced photorealistic rendering. In addition, the program offers built-in rendering styles. The software is compatible with an array of file types such as AutoCAD’s DXF and DWF files. It allows me to use the 3D printing image files, PDF and STL file. Some useful 2D CAD features include the layer manger and text & color editing. The layer, measurement and style toolbars make editing easier. I can quickly switch between different functions and correctly apply styles faster. In addition, other features such as import capabilities, macro recordings, and setup manager make the use of the program more convenient

Cons

Although the software offers architectural tools to promote building plans, SketchUp Pro lacks the house wizard and a wall tool. These two aspects would otherwise give the software a more powerful influence on architecture.

Sketchup mi software favorito

Lo uso desde un poco antes de entrar a la universidad, he alcanzado por mi misma sin ningun curso niveles de detalles impresionantes y cada dia mejoro mas mis imagenes de proyectos. La verdad me parece una herramienta de primera necesidad para la arquitectura y espero en algun momento poder tomar alguna capacitacion para perfeccionarme en su uso, es el programa que yo siempre elijo.

Pros

Me gusta la facilidad que tiene para el diseño de proyectos de arquitectura, es muy muy facil de usar, tiene una variedad de herramientas impresionante, puedes alcanzar detalles sorprendentes y puedes modelar en 3d proyectos enteros en mucho menos de lo que te tomaria en otros softwares de modelado 3d. Es mi herramienta favorita a la hora de trabajar en proyectos y al complementarlo con V-Ray realmente puedes alcanzar un nivel de renders excepcional, recomiento Sketchup en un 100% sobretodo si se usa para la arquitectura o el diseño, es un programa que definitivamente prefiero sobre cualquier otro.

Cons

Lo unico que no me gusta de este software es que para hacer esferas, circulos o curvas en general el nivel de detalle no es muy bueno, puede complementarse con extensiones para mejorar esto, pero po si solo no tiene muy buen nivel de detalle en eso. Otra cosa que quiza no es tan buena del programa es que la opcion de cotas que tiene no es muy buena esteticamente hablando, fuera de eso es mi software favorito.

Israel Jose from Freelance / Self-employed

Industry: Civil Engineering

Fastness, reliability and easy to use CAD

As a hydraulic engineer, and not an architect, I started using Sketchup Pro to make general designs and more for fun than need, then, when making work proposals, it became a fundamental tool thanks to the speed with which I could generate 3D decorative solids, with textures and lighting effects from simple 2D drawings.

Pros

Despite the fact, the almost all the CAD software are essentially very complex programs, the first and most I like of SketchUp ProCAD is its easiness of use, even for beginning designers. The Custom Tool Palette permit you to create custom palettes or menus with the tools and features that you can choose according to your needs, and if you no longer use or need any tool, you can simply delete them. Then we have the Drag and Drop functionality, that allows you to take blocks and symbols from the palettes and drag and drop them in your drawing, you can also use this function to toggle the order of the drawings within a project and move them to the position you want. Sketchup Pro has the most common and useful features, such as Measure Command Tool, simply select the object you want to measure, and the program will indicate its dimensions, area, volume of solids and even perform calculations such as the area of a solid minus the area of other solids that intercept or are located within it; also has Snap Tool; Layer Manager; Text Editing; Point Marker; Color Editing, and of course, one I really love, the Extrude 3D Models from 2D Designs, with which you can create a 3D model from a more complex 2D design, and to perform the inverse process generating 2D Designs from 3D Models. If you are a programmer, or not, Sketchup Pro comes with Macros that allows you to record and automate any process. The 3D Warehouse is one of the most useful resources, with which you will have a wide var

Cons

Within the cons, the photorealistic rendering provided by the software could give more striking results but they are also quite decent, and of course, another significant con is the lack of Wall Tool and House Wizard, and other architectural tools

Review of Sketch up 2017

All round, it is a good and flexible software especially for beginners who'd like to just get started with architecture modelling software.

Pros

I really like that the software is very flexible. You can literally use it to perform any function pertaining to architectural drawings such as drawing plans, and sections especially with plug-in with a variety of functions you can perform such as builing walls, doors and windows as components etc. I like that you can import and export files ranging from 2D DWG TO 3D COLLADA. I also like that it has a very active community that can assist with any problems you may be facing with the software. I especially like that it intermittently autosaves for you incase of any mishaps that may occur along the line. You can also simply just drag in components and materials without any hassle.

Cons

I don't love the unexpected bugsplats and the fact that if I change the setting of one scene it affects the outline profile of the work. I think the zooming options needs a little work because sometimes it can be difficult to orbit around work without expecting it to enter into a surface all the time. I feel the snapping to edges might need a little work as well because sometimes its difficult to close polylines unless you zoom in critically.

Ricardo from Estructuras Nabla4 S.A.S

A simple, but advanced tool for Architechtural and Engineering Design

Sketchup Pro is a must-have tool for any Architecture or Engineering designer. Its simple interface, along with its variety of options, allows you to create very professional designs that will allow you to win the client you want. As a Civil Engineer, I've used this software to create 3D models and plans for buildings, and I'm completely satisfied with the products this software allows me to create.

Pros

It is an easy-to-use but complete software that allows you to create many products required in an Engineering or Architecture Project, such as: - Detailed Construction Documents, such as plans, that are entirely essential for any project, and you can create them with many easy features that provides you a great aid to create a very professional set of plans. - 3D Renderings and Animations: In any Civil Engineering project is important to have a set of professional renderings, and this software does a great job with it. - It is a software that allows you to export your model to other specialized softwares in case that your model cannot be completed with this one. It also allows you to import as-drawn drawings so you can create your 3D model from a set of plans from other software. - Dynamic components, this feature allows you to safe plenty time when it comes to complex models. And last, but not least: - Extensions: they are some features that you can install into the interface of the software, you can download them from many websites. These Extensions allows you to do some tasks that the normal set of tools of the program doesnt allow you to do them. So, you can say it is like an upgrade.

Cons

I don't have many issues with this software, it is very complete and it has a very intuitive way to use and learn. My only con about this software could be that the Rendering motor may be not the best, but with the exporting tool, you can export to a 3D rendering specialized software, such as 3DS MAX, but that is not a problem for me.

Sharon from Traditional Edge Designs

SketchUp Pro, The best and affordable space planning software

I was introducted to this back in school when I have to produced a residential project and I had not learned revit yet. I panicked, I search in vain to find a product to find a product that I could use to build my kitchen in 3D with fairly quickly. I was introduced SketchUP, I think it was version 7. I loved it so much I upgraded to pro. Now its the industry standard. Very easy to teach and make very impressive presentations with. Which makes me look good to my clients. Perfect for commercial and residential design. Highly recommended!

Pros

What did I not love about the software. You can learn it in about three hours; easy to build from. The furniture and textile library uses a lot of the same pieces you’d find in your favorite stores, thus it creates realistic space plans. The pro version you create professional plans and it integrates with AutoCAD, you can create a digital walk around in your 3D presentations. Works with the representatives color paint colors as well. You can change the style of how your presentation looks from hand drawn to very clean and linear.

Cons

The sheets take a bit of time to learn, but once you do they look very professsional. You need a separate rendering program to make it more realistic and they can be pricey.

SketchUp - my favourite CAD tool!

Fantastic tool. Perhaps it is because I've tinkered with it since its early days, but I find it my go-to tool for any CAD projects. Perhaps it is for this reason that I have had such success with it in the classroom over the years. However, it is a shame that Trimble have changed their policy on SketchUp Pro for Educators - this has limited access to it in certain areas of the world.

Pros

I have loved SketchUp's approachability since it was a Google product. I find that the ability to play around and create something really quickly is a real hook into getting students enthused and excited about using and learning the product. It can be used from Students to Hobbyists to Professionals: everyone can get benefit from the Platform - especially now that it has its online browser-based Free version that has Microsoft Office 365 SSO as well as Google (important if you are in a country that has banned Google!). There are GREAT Tutorials available for all skill levels; we are particularly impressed with the ones made available for Education at the K(4)-12 level.

Cons

Personally, it has really impacted me that SketchUp Pro is no longer made available to Educators for free. I have multiple projects that were designed on SU Pro and these are no longer easily accessed or worked on. (It IS possible through uploading and downloading through the 3D Warehouse, but this is a pain and does not work well in cases of bigger projects.)

Danny from Lumber Traders, Inc.

Amazing tool for design and planning

We have used the product extensively for store design and planning out displays. Additionally we use the software to do quick illustrations to send to customers, rather than tacky hand drawn scans. This is a great piece of software and reasonably prices as far as CAD systems go. I would love to see subscription (monthly) based pricing, though.

Pros

The program is relatively intuitive if you have any familiarity with CAD software, but even if you're brand new there is a lot of content out there to help - Google is your friend! - Feature rich - Very stable program - Makes spatial planning for business design easy and accurate

Cons

While there is a lot of content out there that can be Googled, if you need more detailed assistance there is little 1st party product support; most items will be answered via online message boards. - Deeper features can be a bit convoluted - Sometimes a shape has a geometry error, but there is little help on how to fix

Reasons for Choosing SketchUp

More economical. Easier for beginners.

Brings Imagination into better Reality!

I'm Civil Engineer and freelancer and I've worked with sketchup almost about 3 years now.This software is very easy to learn,use and teach.So what else do I need?

Pros

Best 3D modelling software ever.This software eases the designing of aesthetic structures and helps to customize the 3D worksapce.Very user friendly software and I highly recommend for all the beginners to use sketchup for 3D modelling and you will never regret.

Cons

Absolutely nothing!Sketchup fulfills my requirements other than any software I used and using for 3D modelling.

Aditya from Davies Design Build

Good for Architects.. Bad for Civil Engineers

I have been using this for at least 3 years. Why do I like this ? Because it the best for rendering and getting a visibly beautiful output of my design. I usually use AutoCAD and Revit for detailed modeling and construction detailing. But whenever I need to present my model to someone, I use rendered sketches and views to convey the idea.

Pros

This is the most flexible software for modeling. If you dream about it, you can model/design it. Its that simple. Architects love this software because it gives them the freedom to design whatever they think. It has fewer constraints. Its different render engines give us way too realistic output compared to other modeling software like AutoCAD.

Cons

I can say this is NOT a SMART software. why? Because- 1) It's not Building Information Modelling compatible- you cant use data in any BIM tool. 2) Components built in this does not have properties as other software as Revit has.- Its just good for 'looks' 3) Import/Export to other platforms is not available.- Interoperability is poor for data transfer

Manuel Alberto from Promec Ingenieros, C.A.

User-Friendly, Fun To Use & Versatile

i shortened time of work it took me days to make a 3d model but now i just invest at much four or five ours and the i can start rendering that helps me with the clients normally you ask for two weeks to complete a job but now i can do it in a week

Pros

I've been using SketchUp everyday in my line of work for over three years now. It is one of the easiest CAD programs I've used/learned as well as one with some of the best support and communities I've participated in. There are tons of models in the 3D warehouse to learn from or integrate into your own creations. It's for more than just architectural and interior design; I've even used it for animations, pattern making and film! More importantly, I'm still able to import/export files types outside of SketchUp's. It accepts dwgs, dxf.

Cons

It's too basic at times, so any detailed things you would have to use another program. it also does not look quite as professional, as the graphics are a little lacking. I usually make the 3-d model and then I bring it into photoshop to render for a better look.

at from Mobilias Mamad

Industry: Furniture

Sketchup - Ferramenta simples agil e super poderosa

Uso sketchup acessivelmente a 3/4 anos e uso para diversos fins, seja maquete eletronica , design de produtos, design de mobilias e interiores interiores. É um programa flexivel, curva de aprendizagem muito baixa qualquer um pode aprender investindo apenas algumas horas e ter um resultado espetacular mesmo que nao tenha experiencia com nenhum software 3d.

Pros

1- Uma das coisa que mais gosto do Programa é a versatilidade e compactibilidade com diversos softwares de renderização; 2 - Possibilidade de instalar diversos plugins que nos permitem criar praticamente qualquer forma usando apenas um único software 3- Leve , Nao precisa de uma máquina super poderosa para rodar, roda praticamente em qualquer computador 4- Nos ultimos anos vemos o grande investimento em tecnologia bim para este software

Cons

Um dos problemas que se verifica neste software é o travamentoda viewport quando a modelagem vai ficando mais pesada, problema este que pode ser ultrapassado investindo em um computador mais potente

Stephen from Neth & Son Inc.

Great product which makes 3D modeling a breeze!

Drafting, planning, and assistance with project management

Pros

The 3D modeling components are very user-friendly, and super easy to use. Any novice drafter can learn this program rather quickly with minimal instruction. This product also allows you to turn your 3D models into 2D plans by importing them to a secondary "Layout" program. Trimble Sketchup Pro comes as a product suite with 3 individual programs, but transferring your models between them is a fairly simple and fast process. Each program has a different function from modeling, plan design, and graphic design components. Sketchup is also integrated with built-in shading modules, access to the Sketchup library with access to hundreds of thousands of communal models, and additional "plug-ins" which allows you to add more functionality to your modeling tools. Their customer support is also very accommodating and responsive.

Cons

The "maps" function is far less than stellar since Trimble's contract with Google expired.. If you are looking to import an existing building footprint using this function, you will end up with an extremely grainy and tiny map graphic. Also, from time to time, glitches will occur with other imported graphics in their "Layout" program which causes the need for those graphics to be uploaded once again.

SketchUp saved my life!!

Pros

I LOVE SketchUp!!! I have used so many 3D softwares but this one takes the cake. Not only is it easy to use, it also looks SO good when rendered with the correct software. I have used Revit in the past, and when it comes to design planning and space planning Sketchup just looks so much better every time, I think compared to others Sketchup has so many more options and the ability to add finishes is so much easier and importing furniture is also so easy. Another thing I love is how easy it is to build furniture, every time I do I am so happy with the result. SketchUp is the one!

Cons

The only thing that I wish sketch had was a 2D view of the floor plan and the ability to make elevations and things like that, but other than that I love it.

Reasons for Switching to SketchUp

SketchUp was just too good!

Renier from Alza.cz

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

SketchUp best to show your creativity, good to view and create 3D.

Overall experience it is very good software to show your creativity and very useful in planning and see the layouts and drawings. Very helpful for us in future projects to be able to visualize and see it in 3D. It is very helpful as it serve as our guide in doing projects.

Pros

What I like most about the Sketchup is you have the freedom to be creative create anything that you want. Very minimalist buttons and it very nice and very convenient for me as a user. I love it very much I do warehouse layout in 3D and also you can make even the smaller parts very easy to use.

Cons

Very demanding software for your computer you need a good PC with a good graphic card on it, because of the 3D that you draw the files getting larger. I hope that Sketchup integrate a extension that you don't need to download although you can download extensions that makes your file size smaller I hope that Sketchup integrate it with their software so you don't need to download extensions.

Fredy from Archteuno

Awesome software.

It made our workflow way easier 10+ ago with no turning back to previous software used.

Pros

Easy to use, the learning curve is way shorter than any other 3d software I've used, great compatibility with most of the professional software out there. Has an awesome community of users and developers that make it even greater (with their extensions). Been using it for more than 10+ years. For Us, it replaced Autocad altogether (if you team it up with Sketchup Layout - that comes included with Sketchup Pro). Level of detail can be controlled up to 0.000000 mm Or (1/64") Works great making 3D models for 3d printing as well (if you use some of the available extensions)

Cons

I believe the free version is no longer available as a standalone software (you need a browser now) Might be too expensive for a hobbyist but not if used for work. Gets slow if the geometry is too complex or if you don't know how to use components

SketchUp Pro

I use SketchUp on a daily basis as an exhibit designer, booth designer and interior designer. I also do several home projects on a regular basis with it. I really love SketchUp Pro and the warehouse makes it incredibly easy to add and build models using pre-built geometry. You can even modify other peoples drawings to make them match your design. This is a great and simple to learn / use software.

Pros

I love that you can quickly build awesome models to scale and create beautiful renderings with many various plugins. This software wasn't always a big hitter but I think companies are starting to see it's potential. Sketchup Pro has some additional features that make it nicer than make such as being able to save and export to DWG. Overall it's a great software that I love using.

Cons

I wish there was a decent rendering engine built into this software. It is simply lacking in that area but other than that, with plugins like VRay, Keyshot Etc, you can create beautiful renderings quickly.

Majeed Mohammed from Unicad

Most Easier

Pros

It's Really Simple And Quick to Use. Because Other Related softwares Are Taking To much of Time To Create object. Everyone Can Easily Learn this Software without trouble.And OuTput Also Too Gud For Spend Money to this Software

Cons

It has some Trouble One of that, An Obejct should Be GROUP before make Another object On that If not When Move an object Everything will Stretch and Collapse. But little amount trouble on y Have this Software I hope it will be Fixed coming Updates. That will be very helpfull

Reasons for Switching to SketchUp

I am getting out put Too quick

Jason from Charles County Public Schools

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Free, but it's gone downhill.

In general, I love SketchUp and will use it for most of my rendering needs. If you want to make fast renders quickly and for free, and if you're not making working drawings, then SketchUp is enough. There is a reason you see it on HGTV when they design kitchens and are showing the clients their ideas, but you don't see it on the corners of their working drawings.

Pros

I love the price (free) and how easy it is to use SketchUp. I currently use it to explain 3D objects to my drafting students or to explain what something will look like when we're done. I sometimes use it for demonstrating geometry concepts, too. Back when I was a draftsman for a small design-build firm, I exclusively used SketchUp for all drafting and document production (in conjunction with Microsoft Word). I am a big fan of their warehouse of items for if you are trying to populate a house with furniture or a street with cars.

Cons

A few years ago, SketchUp switched to being mostly cloud and less of a downloadable program. While this is mostly good since I can access my files on any computer with the internet, its layout changed and it is much harder to find the tools you want to use. It used to be that lines and edges were sharp and I could edit cleanly and easily in MSPaint, but the online version of SketchUp doesn't render the same way and it has made my freelancing as a draftman more difficult. Also, SketchUp is not great at generating documents and printing to scale compared to Autodesk Inventor. Lastly, they don't use true curves for cirlces and arcs which saves RAM but can be good or bad when rendering.

Mario from The Eisen Group

Great software for not just for professionals but everyone

Overall, it is a must learn software because of how easy is to learn it and the possibilities you have with it

Pros

It is not just a professionals tool as many bloggers and students use it in a daily basis for creating almost everything they can think of. For example, I just say last week a blog of a person who was doing a sketchup model for her desk so that she could build it, and it provided everything she needed. Me as an architect, I use it a lot to do 3D modeling in order to visualize the buildings before construction. With the Pro version you have the opportunity to do section cuts and even set a "sheet set" for your drawings. The pro of Sketchup is that as it is free of use (free version) there's also a library called "google warehouse" where you can upload/download models from anyone (who uploads theirs) and use it as if it was created by you, and all of this, for free.

Cons

I would love Sketchup to be more like a professional software and have more tools to help you design properly and detail things like a BIM software but because of the reasons I listed above, I think Sketchup should stay focusing as a "free" software and anyone can use it.

Hentry from EDEN BUILDERS

SIMPLE AND POWERFUL

Architectural drawings.. modeling

Pros

Sketchup is really easy to use.. and has the basic features for a 3D modeling software.. Backed up by great community, plugins and extensions. it is very easy to do basic modeling and it has a large collection of free models in 3D warehouse. it can work along most of the render engines and give realistic results in minimum effort. Layout is also great for doing 2D works .. it is clean.. simple and gives cool results when compared with different styles

Cons

sketchup lacks capability to do animations. I wish if i could do basic animations(without any plugins) and modeling complex objects is difficult.. like organic structures. sometime its seems to crash on heavy projects. and when there is lots of plugins installed it takes some time to set up after launching

hanady from architect

User-friendly software

Its my first choice to create fast and easy 3d models since I first began working on 3d modeling at University.

Pros

Skecth up is a simple and quick software for modeling compared to other 3d modeling softwares especially for first time 3d modelers. The work area is not complex and easy to learn. It also provides a wide library of 3d components in the SketchUp Warehouse and very useful extensions in the SketchUp Extension Warehouse which make modeling tasks much easier. And once the work is done, it could be easily exported in other softwares.

Cons

It can be more difficult to create specified details for complex projects on Sketch up comparing to other similar softwares. The files can sometimes be very heavy especially when adding multiple components that the software crashes.

Sketchup

Pros

Sketchup is how I started my career and I still use it almost every day. Its strong points are creating geometry on the fly and pulling from the extensive model warehouse that has almost everything you'd ever need. It's also so user-friendly, someone can easily pick up the program and start using it within a couple of weeks proficiently.

Cons

I don't like the way geometry can't be smoothed to the extent other software can do it. In other words, with bends and curves, it's sometimes hard to make them clean in Sketchup to where the textures and UV maps won't be messed up when I export to something like Unreal engine. If you're exporting from Sketchup, you have to be prepared to do a lot of cleanups if you want a high-quality mesh to visualize with photo-real textures and lighting.

Mark from fiverr

One of the best software for 3D and 2D design

The features are excellent, and the pricing is reasonable. Although learning the tricks takes time, it is well worth it. I also had a few conversations with support and was delighted with how quickly they responded. I wanted to know if I could incorporate a house decoration into my design. Just double-checking what the model's owner's permissions allow me to do.

Pros

In comparison to other 3D modeling software I've used, SketchUp is by far the most straightforward to learn and master. Even while it has fewer tools and features than most other applications, the ones it does have are laser-focused on creating simple models quickly. One of the best aspects of this software is the 3D Warehouse, which gives you access to a wide range of models, from simple doors to very detailed light fixtures, at the touch of a button. The user interface may be tailored to your preferences, and the plugin warehouse's vast selection of plugins hardly limits your modeling options.

Cons

Sketchup comes in two versions: a desktop version and an internet version. The online version works in any browser, which is excellent, but it lacks some features that the installation version has. Consider the 3D Text tool. You can use customised type fonts in both editions, however you can only use 5 or 6 predefined type fonts in the online version.

Ornella from 3+ Arquitectos

Sketchup levantamiendos en 3d

Mi experiencia con sketchup ha sido excelente, tarde muy poco tiempo en aprender a usarlo y con el tiempo la facilidad de uso del software me han permitido dominarlo a nivel profesional, sin duda es una herramienta fantastica que te permite trabajar rapidamente y en una buena calidad.

Pros

Lo que mas me ha gustado es la facilidad de uso y la rapidez que brinda para levantar información 3d, puedes levantar proyectos en minutos ya sean grandes o pequeños, sketchup es mi herramienta favorita para los levantamientos 3d.

Cons

lo que menos me gusta el software es que no tiene herramientas para armar laminas de calidad superior o de poder sacar del modelo plantas, secciones y elevaciones, me gustaría que pudiera incorporar esas herramientas, de esa forma podria usar solo ese programa y no tener que meazclarlo con otros.