Browse Apache OpenOffice Reviews

Halimatun from PwC Malaysia

Free office suite

Pros

It is free and open-source, and it can accomplish some of the duties that other sophisticated software in its field can. Still, if you want stability and better performance, I would recommend using something else. I primarily use these for document creation and editor. However, it has more features in it. The document processing and spreadsheet modules can be easily converted to Microsoft Office products. OpenOffice can read Microsoft Word and Excel documents, which is very convenient. We've saved a lot of time because of this function.

Cons

You'll mostly run into issues on particular platforms, which might lead you to loose or disrupt your work. Other concerns with working in an open workplace might also influence your coworkers. To some, it may be adaptive, while to others, it may be a complete nightmare. If you are accustomed to Microsoft Office, don't expect to be able to transition simply; in fact, switching can be a significant challenge.

Nibaruta from Humpay

Alternative to Microsoft office

I have had OpenOffice freeze in mid of work and the only way to solve the issue was to restart the pc. you can as well go to save and have the entire application shutdown automatically.

Pros

Free and open-source, it can do some of the tasks that are done by other professional software in its category but I would recommend choosing another if you want reliability and better performance.

Cons

Mostly on certain systems, you will encounter bugs that can cause you to lose or interrupt your work. The open office has other issues that can as well affect those you work with. It could be adaptable to some and absolute a nightmare to others. If you are familiar with Microsoft office don't think you will be able to use open office easily matter of fact it can be a very big problem to switch.

I switched back to Microsoft 365

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

Was looking for the best but had to cancel both.

claudio from esc

December 2021

Suite per ufficio sostitutiva ad Office

Pros

Economico perchè già disponibile nella versione gratuita ricca di funzionalità pari alla suite concorrenti.

Cons

Se si devono aprire file di office ho riscontrato qualche problema di compatibilità e alcune funzionalità non subito subito intuitive.

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

Necessità su alcune postazione di non avere licenze

Joshua from First Baptist Church Lake Alfred

Price is the best thing about it

When I first discovered OpenOffice it was a great alternative for Microsoft word and other Microsoft office products. It has all of the features you would look for in those products and is free. As time has gone on I have begun to use it less though. It has an old look to it and can sometimes be laggy. With newer alternatives out there like Google Docs and Google Slides it has become less useful.

Pros

Free alternative to all Microsoft office products. Can make text documents, presentations, spreadsheets, etc. Ability to export in many file types.

Cons

Has a cheap look to it. Is laggy compared to brand name product. Does not have auto mic updating. Has crashed on me before.

Goran from Zagreb iTV

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

A great alternative

I switched from MS Office to OpenOffice and I must admit, I feel no difference. It is a good thing, though, as Microsoft Office is rather expensive, while OpenOffice is completely free! I would expect a significant quality drop between the two, but I have not found one. I can only recommend everyone to switch over as it has saved me hundreds of dollars so far.

Pros

It is good at doing what it advertises. It is a full on suite of programs on par with the mainstream alternatives. I was especially surprised with how easy it was to switch from Microsoft products to OpenOffice and how little difficulty there was.

Cons

Sometimes it lags a bit. It feels like it has some optimization issues. Larger actions make my computer lag more than it ever happened with MS Office suite. I also noticed some issues with layouts and formatting - it just won't behave as I would expect it to.

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

I was trying out new alternatives to Microsoft Office and free options I was using this far.

Luis from Self-employed

Does what MS Office does, free

It does the job and it's free, what more can you say?

Pros

Apache OpenOffice is a replacement for Microsoft Office that is free. It has a suite of apps replacing Word, Excel, and more. It has the majority of features as well.

Cons

The equivalent to Word, Writer, can't save in .docx format, only .doc. Not a terrible problem but annoying.

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

Libre has a few features that are better than OpenOffice, but for whatever reason, I find OpenOffice's layout more comforting.

Nakita from Buffalo Wild Wings

Could be better

Pros

The thing I like most about this software is its free to use. It doesn't require you to purchase the product after a certain amount of days.

Cons

The application could be improved or updated. Last time I used the product it kept closing or not responding and when I would go to pull it back up and load my document, it would close again.

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

Free product versus having to pay for a product

A very Good Backup Utility to have

I had Microsoft Office for many years, Due to business slowing down, we had to rely on another software, Apache OpenOffice was just as good a software as I had used.

Pros

I like this software, any documents made from another compatible software, will be able to export it to this cost efficient just as well.

Cons

lack of templates for useful documents to use for implementing a plan. I didn't see much of word art offers

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

Budget cuts, fixed income. I had to start tightening up belt and use other software that has same compatible formats

Ryan from Content Customs

OpenOffice is a great free alternative to MS Office

Overall, it's great! In a nutshell, this is a free version of Microsoft Office, for most practical applications.

Pros

The best thing is the price, as it's free to download and use the full suite of functionality! However, that wouldn't matter if the software was poor. The good news is that it's not, and OpenOffice gives me virtually every feature from MS Office that I regularly use. I don't doubt that MS Office has a leg-up in certain areas if you need deeper, more obscure features, but for day-to-day document creation, Open Office is great.

Cons

Two things: 1) I can't seem to find a way to save a document as a .docx. That might be proprietary to MS Word. 2) I'd like to be able to see more than just the last 10 documents I opened. It'd be nice to be able to choose an item at the bottom of the list such as "Show more" that would open up expanded document history.

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

Because OpenOffice is free.

Michele from ESC Enterprise Software Consulting Srl

Ottimo prodotto open source alternativo a Microsoft Office

Ottima suite da utilizzare in caso servano delle funzioni Word o Excel sostitutive a quelle originali.

Pros

Ottimo prodotto open source per sostituire gratuitamente tutta la suite Microsoft Office. Affidabile e facilmente utilizzabile

Cons

Alcune funzionalità non sono perfettamente compatibili con la suite Microsoft e ogni tanto si possono generare dei problemi con alcuni utenti.

Nicholas from Kepeliketo Corporation

Apache Open Office Business and Individual User Friendly

We found OpenOffice years ago when we were first starting out and needed an alternative to spending thousands of dollars on Microsoft Excel. We use this daily for in house use and when working on projects for customers. Because so many people use Excel we simply work on OpenOffice and reload to Excel with very few changes necessary. This software saves us time and money and to continue interacting with other businesses seamlessly.

Pros

This software is very user friendly and meets the word processing and spreadsheet needs of our company. We use it daily for word processing, article construction, publication writing, and all of our spreadsheets. To say it is amazing does not do this software justice, I mainly use these two features but know it does far more, such as Drawing, Presentations, Calculator and Illustration. Co-workers use some of those other included features, but my work keeps me occupied otherwise. The word processing and spreadsheet program sections can be converter to Microsoft Office products with minimal effort. Especially nice is that Microsoft Word and Excel products can be opened by OpenOffice. This feature has saved us so much time. If we make changes to those documents they may be saved to either OpenOffice or Microsoft formats. The program is updated frequently at no cost or loss of information.

Cons

There has not been a single complaint from my staff. I personally have a problem printing envelopes, but I think that is because I rarely do so.

Reasons for Choosing Apache OpenOffice

Cost. Now OpenOffice is high priority upload to any new device.

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

Cost initially. But it is so nice if you're on the road a need emergency access. I had to replace a laptop on the road. I did so, added OpenOffice to the new laptop, signed in to the company network and was on my way without Microsoft's ridiculous software fees to add to a new device. I could access all the needed files.

Sharon from Writing and Editing

Industry: Writing and Editing

If you can't afford MS Office...

I've used it on numerous occasions to rescue and reformat corrupted files (particularly in its Word version), earning major kudos from students and clients in full panic mode that the CV or project they've put their heart into has been lost forever. Not so! Open Office rescued it. It loads quickly, can save in many different formats (more than MS Office) and is more adaptable. The portable copy has proved a lifesaver when out and about. I can plug it into any Windows computer and get to work immediately.

Pros

Open Office reminds me of the old MS Office, with a similar layout and ease of use. It's not as big a resource hog as MS Office and for basic use it's excellent. Being free certainly doesn't hurt! While I do have MS Office as well, I write first drafts in Open Office and then copy it across. Seeing the subtly different layout allows me to see errors that I missed before and since Open Office can be got as a portable app, I can take it anywhere on a memory stick, plug it in and get going. It saves to MS Office formats as well as its own proprietary ones, and you can set it to default to MS Office format if you want. It can often open files MS Office struggles with, allowing you to rescue corrupted documents and put them back into a format MS Office can read, so even if you have the expensive software having this as a backup is worth it for when things go wrong.

Cons

Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of MS Office and sometimes you want to do something that in MS Office would be a breeze (like inserting page numbers) and in Open Office is a little more tricky, but there are tons of searchable help files and advice pages which means you can usually find a way.

Rex from RbF Inc.

Novels in Open Office

I write good business letters; often for other people; sometimes a printed letter gets more attention than an email. The envelopes, formatted and printed in Open Office, are proper business envelopes. At a time when we are working more from home more, Open Office is a sensible alternative to expensive word processing, and spreadsheet programs. I do my company books with an Open Office spreadsheet that I designed myself. It calculates income, expenses, sales and income taxes etc. as I go. When it's time to do taxes, the numbers are all there at the bottom.

Pros

I use Open Office for at least three hours every day—usually six. It is my go to word processor. I've written two novels and a collection of short stories with it. I was easily able to format and style the layout for the paperback and eBook files, so they conformed perfectly to Amazon's publishing requirements. Most folks don't know this is possible so they farm it out and pay dearly. I didn't rate the support category above because I have never had to use it. Open Office works fine all the time. It's totally reliable and at a cost 100% less than MS Word.

Cons

Figuring out how to do headers and footers on alternating pages was a bit of a brain buster, but I got it. I'm sure it could be more intuitive.

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

Well, obviously, this was a very long time ago. Microsoft Word had come on the market and it was expensive. I was still struggling in Wordperfect when Open Office appeared. I tried it and never looked back. Great program. I've tried MS Word since. No reason to switch.

Excellent MS Office Alternative - Minus Some Bells and Whistles

OpenOffice is hands down my favorite office application suite. Yes, it isn't the prettiest or the most feature-rich, but it offers everything probably 95% of today's workforce would need, minus real-time editing collaboration.

Pros

OpenOffice is excellent for a free and open-source office application suite. It offers all the essential core functionality of MS Office for the low low price of absolutely free! When I was a student and began my career I was using OpenOffice exclusively. If offers excellent capabilities right out of the box and is available even on Linux (my preferred operating system).

Cons

The lack of an online collaboration feature really is the only reason I had to switch away from this with my company. It's a much-needed feature, especially at this time, with everyone working remotely.

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

At the time of switching, OpenOffice felt more intuitive with its controls. and more familiar to the older versions of MS office that I was used to.

Munema from Freelance

If you don't need all the bells and whistles, go for this

Pros

I remember coming across OpenOffice several years ago and thought I would give it a try as it seemed a valuable "agnostic" solution that worked on Mac, PC, and Linux machines alike and it was free to download, install and use. Generally, what I liked about OpenOffice was the fact that it provided most of the main features of the various Word, Excel, etc. True, the user interface may not have been as good as that of such tools but, overall, OpenOffice met its goals of letting users leverage the core features needed for writing, creating tables, etc. I would say that if you don't need advanced features but mainly the basics, OpenOffice could be the one "digital office tool" for you.

Cons

There are a few things I am not a fan of when it comes to OpenOffice. The firsts one is the fact that, unlike some of the other tools, it doesn't have a mobile app. This means that you will always be dependent on working from your computer, always. Next is the fact that it does come with a "ceiling" meaning that you might find yourself in need of something else at some point in the future because you may feel as if you have outgrown OpenOffice as a platform. Also, keep in mind that it has been discontinued so you may find versions still available for you to use but may be outdated.

Amy from Art By Shaughnessy

Apache OpenOffice, you're my main squeeze.

Absolutely phenomenal software. I don't know where I'd be without it. It is not at all dramatic to admit this software changed my life.

Pros

I wouldn't even know where to begin. I've been using (did I say using? I mean in love with) this software for over 12 years. You can create ANYTHING with it. I've landed jobs from creating resumes with this app, wowed fellow creators with artistic documents, made myself calendars and fitness goals lists with all the fancy fonts and borders, and even one classy and sassy resignation letter to a former employer of questionable morals. This software has been the backbone of my progress for so long. Tons of features, easy to navigate, and doesn't slow down your system. Standing Ovation.

Cons

The word con has no place with OpenOffice. This software is incredible. I do wish it would not let microsoft word open up my unfinished-and-saved-for-later documents, which I know is just an issue with my PC and not Open Office. Still, it would be great to see it push Microsoft out of the way just once and make it known which one I'm loyal to.

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

It was back in 2007-2008, and the Microsoft Word trial expired, thus requiring funds I did not have at the time. A coworker recommended Apache OpenOffice and I've been a fan ever since.

Amit from Trevita Techno

Best Productivity Application and Alternate to Micrososoft

Apache OpenOffice is really helping me in my business. It is saving us from everyday licensing issues of microsoft. This software is really complete peace of mind.

Pros

I liked OpenOffice software because it fulfills all aspects of productivity applications. This is free of cost software provided by Apache foundation. Apache have provided software setup so that this software is easily getting installed on PC/Laptop. The software is compatible with microsoft office files and you can easily open/edit files microsoft files. OpenOffice is complete suite of office application which includes spreadsheet, word-processor, slides presentation applications and other important tools also. I liked its interoperability feature so that its files are easily supported across various platforms. I appreciate Apache Foundation for making such hassle free software which is giving benefits to masses.

Cons

I am using Microsoft Office applications since a long so i am habitual to save files in Microsoft format like .docx,doc, .xlsx,xls, .pptx.ptt etc but while i save files in open-office, it b defaullt takes .ods/.ots/.odp format which sometime creates confusion and i have to save them in microsoft format so that while sharing to others they can easily understand that.

Ivis Coromoto from Consejo Federal de Gobierno

I use it in my office every work day to write information or do calculations among other things

There are many benefits among which we can mention that it is a free software that can be downloaded directly from the Internet, it can be installed in other operating systems that are not Linux, it takes few resources from the team in terms of memory and space in disk unlike other programs that exist in the market, it is easily installed and has the same structure as Microsoft Office.

Pros

I installed it on my home computer when I started using it to learn it and I was amazed that it was too fast to run, since this computer has very low performance and when loading other similar applications it takes a long time. What I like the most is that you do not need a large capacity to run in addition to being able to download it for free because it is not licensed.

Cons

What I do not like is that it does not have all the advantages of functionality as far as tools are concerned and that it is not 100 percent compatible with Microsoft Office, which is a limitation when exchanging information between both programs. For example, with open office calc and excel lack many tools so that office calc is a hundred percent compatible with the case of macros that are made in excel. If a document made with macros in Microsoft excel is tried to load in open office would not be compatible.

Actually it has all of the features you should need

Since my student-subscription ran out i was not willing to renew my subscription with the full paid version of Microsofts Office. So i switched to Apache and - honestly - was not disappointed. Since my last time using it, it gained a lot of functions and especially stepped up in overall appearance of the userinterface and in accessability. I would definitely recommend checking it out, before spending loads of money on commercial competitors!

Pros

It's astonishing, that Apache OpenOffice is still a freeware, if you keep in mind the incredible amount of functions it features. The "similarity" to Microsoft Office makes it very easy to switch between those products. The same goes for interchangeability of data. With Apache OpenOffice you can edit data from Microsoft Office without any loss in format and layout.

Cons

While it features a lot of features, there might be some very advanced functions, that are not availible in OpenOffice. That might not be a problem for the bigger part of users, because one might not even know about those. But for commercial usage it might fall short at parts.

Ross from Massey University

A decent alternative to Microsoft if required

I like it. I tend to use Office myself but that's mostly because it is what is provided. I use OpenOffice occasionally just to keep me up to date with it so I can help students that are using it but this has meant that, with familiarity, I've reached the point where if I were paying the bill myself, I would absolutely look into deploying OpenOffice in my workplace.

Pros

The thing I like most about this product is probably the price. It's free and works well. Outside of this though I really like the development that has gone into OpenOffice. When it started out it was hideous, limited and buggy. More importantly compatibility with Office programs (e.g. Word and Excel) was incredibly iffy and lagged behind each update. There was very little reason to use OpenOffice aside from the price. Nowadays it still doesn't look great (it's better though!) but it's such an improved experience in terms of the rest of those issues. For example Writer does everything most will want from Word and I actually prefer the way that it handles pasting images and formatting tables. There are now legitimate reasons to choose OpenOffice in terms of the programs on offer, and if opensource is appealing then I'd recommend it as the default work-suite.

Cons

OpenOffice suffers the same issues as most opensource software. It is written by people that have a very good understanding of coding and perhaps are not as good at UI or understanding how to ease relatively new users into an experience that differs to Word. OpenOffice generally works on the function over form approach and so the best that can be said of most of the offerings within is that they are "not hideous anymore" The UI is both stark in aesthetic and a little merciless for newcomers though; options are packed in and occasionally something requires a little more "under the hood" work to get going (e.g. getting the default list of recent documents to be longer can be a bit of a chore)

I Love OpenOffice!

Pros

I've used OpenOffice for YEARS now. There are so many things I love about it, it's hard to indicate just a few in one review. As a writer, I need a word processing software that, put simply, simple! OpenOffice has the capacity to do a LOT of complex things for other industries--like graphics, spreadsheets, presentations--and it can do everything Microsoft Office does, but I think the standout thing about OpenOffice is it never glitches on me (except maybe visually when I'm scrolling through an 500-page document) and it doesn't take up a lot of space on my computer so it always opens right away--as opposed to Microsoft Word which always takes forever to open and crashes on my Macbook Pro frequently. Also, OpenOffice is free.

Cons

I don't have any complaints. Sometimes when I'm working with a 500/800 page document, the text sometimes glitches visually, but all I do is scroll up and down a bit and that fixes it.

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

Office is far to big a program it seems to run on my MacBook Pro. I don't know why. But OpenOffice just always opens when I need to open. It's fast. It does what I need it to do.

Paul from SC Zwagerman IT

Fast, easy and free* office suite

Since the day office became more expensive, I started to search for an alternative which I found via a website which offered alternatives for paid software packages, I even started to implement this software is other non profit companies and they had to learn a bit but never regret it!

Pros

It does exactly the same as any other paid version of office, as a really small company we need to look at every euro, since we switched, we never looked back, because we don't need more than this office suite is giving!

Cons

Its not perfect with writing to xlsx or docx, but who needs this? You normally export to PDF and you don't need these more compressed file types anyway.

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

Found openoffice a bit more user friendly

Ed from Paddledoo Music

Does everything and for free

I depend on it daily for writing and spreadsheets and am not disappointed! Cannot beat the free price.

Pros

It does everything -- i mainly use word processing and spreadsheets -- without getting wrapped up in Microsoft's intrusive and expensive software. I can open and save as Word, can open CVS, etc. Easy and effective

Cons

What's not to like, except they leave phone apps to private developers and i do wish i could search and replace tabs and other formatting symbols, but nobody's asked this since Microsoft Works in the 1990s!

Reasons for Choosing Apache OpenOffice

Less intrusive, free, and capable of opening and saving to Microsoft formats if needed.

Mohammad Iqbal from MIKS

The best free office suite

My overall experience of using Apache OpenOffice was great. It saves license cost. It is fast. I am having more benefit by using operating system of my choice.

Pros

Apache Open office is a free and powerful alternative to all popular office suites. It offers all basic and advance possibilities which other office suites are offering. It is available for all popular operating systems like Windows, Linux, Android, etc. It is comparatively small in size. It is fast to run. It supports all popular file formats.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is no support for DOCx, XLSx and PPTx file formats.

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

I switched to save the cost.

Warren from DFW Computer Integration

Best free office product on the market

I have been using Open Office since 2007 or so. At the time I owned and operated The Computer Wizard in Plano, Texas. We supported a client base of 5,000. The newest version of MS Office that came out had a HIDEOUS interface and I decided I was done paying $$$ every version change for something I hated. I tried Open Office and liked it immediately. It is a friendly interface and easy to use.

Pros

This is a rock solid office product with versions compatible on PC, Mac and Linux platforms. It is STABLE. After setup, you simply have to change 3 settings to make it fully MS Office compatible so that it creates .doc and .xls files instead of Open Office versions.

Cons

No graphics export in spreadsheet. I had to create screenshots to get graphs exported.

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

In 2007, the newest version of MS Office that came out had a HIDEOUS interface and I decided I was done paying $$$ every version change for something I hated. I tried Open Office and liked it immediately. It is a friendly interface and easy to use.

Amanda from Self-employed

Industry: Graphic Design

A good budget option for Office utilities

It has been a lifesaver when other options are not at hand (no internet, or no budget to spend on fancier programs). I really like being able to search for templates online, and it was really helpful when making CVs that looked really professional.

Pros

OpenOffice is a free open-source software that can be installed and used in just minutes. Its similarities to other softwares make it easy for users to adapt and learn how to use it quickly, so it becomes a great otion for low-budget situations. It has a suite of programs with different functionalities, including a word processor, sheets and database makers, presentation and slides software, even a drawing program. All of these are fairly standard and don't require intensive learning to start using, which is a great perk. A feature I like about OpenOffice is that you can create custom templates, and many people offer their own templates online for other users to check and modify, which makes it easy to start new projects based on what others have built before. It is also relatively easy to save the files in formats that can be opened in other programs, so that you can send them to colleagues who may not have OpenOffice in a way that they can still use and modify them.

Cons

The visual style of the programs can seem a bit crude, and sometimes it can bug out or take really long times to load. It can also have some formatting problems when taken to other applications (tables or figures might move around and it can be difficult to correct for these modifications in other softwares).

Christopher from Simpson Dental Associates

Hands-Down the Best Productivity Software

I've used Apache OpenOffice for years. I used it when I was a college student until now at my current career. This year actually makes it 5 years that I've used Apache OpenOffice. Happy anniversary!

Pros

The best thing about Apache OpenOffice is that it's free, not to mention, that it offers the same office software that it's competitor Microsoft Office does. This software has every feature that you could think of and is so easy to use. I know that it may not be a deal breaker for a lot of people, but I even when downloading this software, it is so fast to download and you are able to select which Apache software to download onto your computer, even if it's just one, for example, OpenOffice Calc.

Cons

There's really nothing that I dislike about this software. I would have to sit and really think and just force something. This software is flawless.

Reasons for Choosing Apache OpenOffice

The price, ease of download, features, and the ability of downloading only the software that I need.

Rica Mae from Luzviminda

OpenOffice Review

Pros

I liked the fact that the product is an open source software and is very easy to setup and use. OpenOffice did a fine job handling every office tools that any company needs to have. It is free and always will be

Cons

The downside of the product same as other open source document tool is that sometimes content on OpenOffice is not really working with MS Office, you must modify the contents you made just for it to become the same

Small business or penny-pinching private user, the best affordable alternative to Microsoft Office.

Pros

For those that love Microsoft Office and its indispensable status as the required software suite for business, but hate having to pay an outrageous price tag. I've been using OpenOffice since back when it was OpenOffice.org, and it was and still is mind blowing how a software suite that basically did nearly everything Microsoft Office could do could also be free of charge.

Cons

Compatibility issues are the biggest concern. If you originally created a document in Microsoft Word or Excel and then try to open it in the equivalent software within OpenOffice, you may get a red flag that not everything will transfer correctly. Likewise, those that are used to Microsoft Office and its features may occasionally find that OpenOffice doesn't do EVERYTHING Microsoft Office does, at least for now. For instance, the ability to freeze panes in Excel was a useful feature that OpenOffice Writer didn't replicate until later on.

Awesome! The same as Microsoft Products!

I use this software just like I would Microsoft to help write letters collect data and keep me accountable. This software has been a huge help, especially when I did not have the budget for Microsoft and have been true to open office ever since.

Pros

Need I say more, this is by far the best product out there. I started using open office several years ago when I didn't have the budget for Microsoft office, excel, word, etc. This software is free and is identical to Microsoft. The best part is when you are ready to save it gives you an option that converts it to a Microsoft formst so it can be opened anywhere on any computer. This is definitely by far an amazing program that allows you to accomplish so much from writing letters, to data sheets like excel, to creating presentations. It does pretty much the same thing but all for free, how can you ask for more?

Cons

There really is no cons to this program, as it does so much for a free application.

Valentina from Valentina Benicchi

Industry: Translation and Localization

Some bugs need improvements

I really like to use free softwares when they are available because I agree with the free movement point of view. I have used Apache OpenOffice everyday for several years and I was fully satisfied until a big bug made me loose important work files. I tried to find out a solution to fix it, but I could not find it, so I was forced to change this software for another one.

Pros

It's a complete software that fully replaces the Microsoft Office pack... and for free!!! I like its interface, the fact that it's easy to use and the possibility to use shortcuts.

Cons

This software has been the perfect substitute of Microsoft Office pack for several years, but during the past year I had several problems due to some bugs that haven't been fixed. I tried to reinstall it several times, to contact their help service, but I could not find out a solution to my problem. That's why I had chosen to uninstall it and to use another similar software. It's a pity, because I really liked it.

Best Microsoft Office Word and PowerPoint, Open Source Alternative

The product is easy to use, economical and a great resource for a company short on immediate funds for a paid license(s) to similar software.

Pros

The price for OpenOffice is unbeatable at free. My first favorite component of this suite is OpenOffice Writer. It carries enough features to enable a user to write and maintain an immense document, such as a novel, easily. In order to make an OpenOffice Writer document compatible with Word, simply save the .odt file as .doc. OpenOffice Impress is my second favorite software in the bundle and can be used to create very nice presentations. It is also a bit easier for a tech newbie to work with vs PowerPoint.

Cons

OpenOffice Math has a con. Simply because it is not something I would need or use often. Saying this, if I did need to use it rarely, it is a bit time consuming to justify learning for a use greater than once or twice use every two - three years.

Abdul Wahab from Softronic Systems

Apache Open Office is best free office suite

I am saving on licensing cost by using free office suite by Apache with a freedom to choose any operating system of my choice.

Pros

Most importantly, it's free and opensource. It is very easy to use and to switch from other office suite. It is available to use on various operating systems. I got freedom to choose any operating system of my choice for my daily office works. It consumes low disk space in comparison to other similar software. No licensing required. Support almost all popular file formats.

Cons

In my throughout experience of using Apache Open Office, I didn't experienced any issue except file format support for new Microsoft Office file formats like DOCx, XLSx and PPTx.

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

I switched from Microsoft Office to enjoy this free alternate with freedom to choose almost any operating system of my choice. I am using it on Windows 10 and Linux.

Sandeep from Vitech Systems Asia Pvt. Ltd.

Free and reliable office suite with good set of features

OpenOffice is a very good application for small to medium companies. Although it lacks few features overall the experience is great. It works very well and smooth without any lags even on low end pc.

Pros

First of all, it is free. It is the best free office suite application that is available in the market. It has documents, slides, sheets compatibility. It runs smoothly even on low end PC. It consumes very less memory and ram making it more efficient and quicker to load. Online community is great and wide to get any support. Deploying the software is easy and user friendly. It great to run test script using its Calc app.

Cons

No browser support, we have to download application in order to use. Sometimes the format gets messed up when we open files that are edited on other office apps like Microsoft Office. It doesnt support few file formats like docs. UI looks outdated.

Jean from Jeanmarie McCormack Realty

Apache OpenOffice beats Microsoft

I can have a new member up and running with no cost, and minimal training.

Pros

We chose Apache because of the price, zero. We kept using it because it performs across all platforms and gives us the functionality we were accustomed to with Microsoft.

Cons

Like most everything. Being a well versed Microsoft user, I knew which functions were possible. Sometimes had to execute it differently. So, maybe a slight learning curve.

Eduin from Consejo Federal de Gobierno

It is a good program that is very manageable in data processing, in addition to being a free option.

Pros

The best thing about the OpenOffice program is that it can be downloaded and used completely free of charge without paying licenses, it is released under a license. This means that any commercial, educational, and public administration project can be installed on as many computers as possible. since you can make copies and distribute them without any expense, it is easy to install and very manageable, OpenOffice is completely accessible for beginners, it is simpler than updating to Microsoft Office 2007. Since OpenOffice is a unique and complete software program, everything works articulately between the different applications. Even the help system is the same for everything. You do not need to know which application has been used to create a document, it will always be used correctly. So simple that with a single download from the Internet or installing it from a CD you will have a multipurpose tool in your home or office.

Cons

It can be said that he lost the rhythm of the updates, and no progress has been seen in his evolution, likewise he makes greater use of memory and CPU since it is heavier and wider than other programs and this has the consequence that work slower.

The proof that Opensource can be also great

OpenOffice has replaced the big proprietary suite that most Windows users were forced to use and pay. OpenOffice is a versatile, simple, light and professional alternative for offices and single users alike.

Pros

OpenOffice is drop-dead simple, light and efficient. Long are gone the days where I had to use expensive suites from proprietary software. As soon as I installed the OpenOffice suite I knew I wasn't coming back. To start with the software is as easy as to download the package installer from their site, run it and you will be done in no time. No spyware and sketchy offers, no subscriptions, just the tools you need. OpenOffice isn't as resource intensive as it's major competitor, so you can run it in machines with less powerful setups and still it will load quickly. I appreciate that Apache has made such a contribution, a simple, easy to use and fully compatible software for free.

Cons

Often I have to play a bit with the .csv encoding screen to see the file properly, but it's not really a big issue. It's often annoying the prompt window asking you to save in ".ods" format instead of the default .doc that it's better known, easier to identify and best if you are collaborating with people that use different tools.

Ed from Scottish Life magazine

Indispensable suite

I have used it for years for all word processing and spreadsheet needs, without dependence on purchasing Microsoft. It makes life a lot less complicated!

Pros

it's free, reliable, serves perfectly as word processor and spreadsheet (I've never really got into the database or other features) and I can save documents however people need them -- for one publisher, I simply send the OpenOffice document; others need Word so I write in OpenOffice, then save as Word no problem. Spreadsheet works perfectly so I use that a great deal as well. There's a privately created Android app that allows me to use OpenOffice docs on my phone, such as my password-protected list of passwords!

Cons

Same thing I like least about Microsoft Word -- you can't search and replace formatting characters (I have to actually go back to Microsoft Works 1995 to do this!) but otherwise no complaints.

Chelsea from Freelance

Industry: Performing Arts

I don't even use other word processing programs anymore.

Open Office is my go-to for document creation and editing.

Pros

I absolutely adore the comprehensive document creating and editing program. It's just as efficient and user friendly as major namebrand word processing programs. It has bells and whistles that make document creation of more than just a business letter a positive experience; but at the same time it's also no-nonsense and uncomplicated.

Cons

Honestly I don't think there's anything I -don't- like about Open Office. Sure sometimes the .odt format can be a little annoying when someone else tries to open it up in a program other than Open Office, but that's easily fixed by saving it in a supported format.

Reasons for Switching to Apache OpenOffice

When Microsoft made using their programs in free status more difficult or even impossible, I found Open Office and never looked back.

MICHAEL from Twitch.tv/rednekedgamer

Awesome alternative to Microsoft Office

I started using Open Office in college. I was over at a friend's house and we were working on a project but he did not have Microsoft Office. I had heard people talk about Open Office, but to be honest I was a Microsoft fanboy. But that's an easy life when you are not directly responsible for paying for it. My friend downloaded and installed Open Office and we were able to create access the saved data files from class. No longer in college, and solely responsible for my finances, I have ditched the fanboy attire, and now I wear the FREE is for ME lifestyle.

Pros

The thing I like the most about Open Office is that it is a FREE alternative to Microsoft Office.

Cons

The thing I like the least about Open Office is trying to figuring how to do tasks that I am familiar with Microsoft Office, but I will say that Open Office did a wonderful job on the icons. Their similarities to Microsoft Office's icons and icon placement does help out alot.

Arthur from A Department of the Town of Groton

Industry: Judiciary

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 Some Glitches But Affordable (Free)

Overall, my experience has been excellent and I've been using it for several years. While Open Office is my primary for word processing and I occasionally use it for spread sheet work, I still use Microsoft Office365 for that type of work.

Pros

It's an office suite with modules similar to Microsoft's Office and it's files are compatible with same.

Cons

While most of the files across the Board there and different labels and subsequently names for action within similar application when compared to Windows Office.

Reasons for Choosing Apache OpenOffice

While I've tried several other products, I always return to Open Office. Sometimes I completely uninstall the trial software and sometimes I keep it on my home computer so there's something I can revert to if I have a problem with the application(s) I normally use.

Dobromir from Taxback.com

Great free office solution

Pros

I started using it while I was a student and it helped me a lot with all projects and presentations. I use mainly Apache OpenOffice Writer,Calc, Impress and Math. I use it on Windows(however, it's available for Mac and Linux) and it has good integration with my OS. It's free software, a great substitute for the paid versions. It has good functionality and compatibility with the different file types. I love that there are a ton of extensions that can be downloaded for free. Apache OpenOffice is not heavy and runs smoothly. It's perfect for personal/ non-commercial use.

Cons

I found only one con of Apache OpenOffice and this is the software design. It reminds me of 1999 MS office, however it's free and I do not ask for more.

Estefanie Arlet from alcaldia de caracas

With Apache OpenOffice I have everything I need in a single software for free.

Apache OpenOffice has become a great alternative to other brands and since its creation has improved significantly. When I discovered it I suggested it to my work team and I constantly receive congratulations for the good choice we made with the implementation of this software. Apache OpenOffice has everything you need in an office.

Pros

Apache OpenOffice has many advantages, among which are its gratuity and the possibility it offers to make extensions and modifications to the software. In my office, the free software proposal has been interesting and we have progressively migrated to Apache OpenOffice for multiple reasons. It is a very interesting program that I want to recommend because of the great experience we have had with it.

Cons

Among the few disadvantages that I find in Apache OpenOffice, there is the compatibility problem that sometimes occurs with other office packages that causes the margins not to be in the same place or the tabulations to move.

Matthew from New Castle County (DE) Government

My Go-To Office Suite at Home

I selected 10 on the "likely to recommend" scale because I have already recommended this amazing, free resource to dozens of people.

Pros

1. It's free. 2. It does basically everything MS Office can, for free. 3. Each new iteration becomes more user-friendly and incorporates greater options and functionality, for free. 4. The software is open-source, contributing to a more collaborative and equitable internet... for Free.

Cons

OO can be somewhat clunkier than Office, especially in trying to use more advanced functions in some of the sub-apps, and some advanced functions that MS products have just are not there (but that's very few!). I also dislike that everyone who struggles to turn out nice documents in WordPad doesn't already know about OpenOffice.

Ishmum from JMP Electric

Awesome software, please consider a donation!

There is no other software I would recommend if someone is looking for a free office suite that works out of the box in minutes. The features are unparalleled and everyone needs to give it a shot before paying for potentially more expensive software.

Pros

The software is very handy and best of all it is FREE. Takes away all the stress of installing a massive office suite with unneeded programs in it (Won't mention the name here). Fast to load, takes a small amount of space and is easy to uninstall parts if you need to.

Cons

The writer software could use some work with custom fonts--Sometimes, they will not appear on the software at all for some reason. I used a font called Roboto and it won't register. Wonder why.

Reasons for Choosing Apache OpenOffice

It was free and had the same functionality.

One of the easiest word programs around.

I use it several times a week in my job. I can create invoices with it. I do word documents. I've been able to create a multi-page pamphlet/brochure for my business with this software. It's just great overall and very easy to use.

Pros

User friendly. If you ever used Word Perfect or other word programs before, this is just as easy to use (or even easier). Most of the same short-cut keys work from older version of any word program. I was able to use this within seconds of installing it. Very user-friendly and easy to figure out when you try something new. Comes with some built-in templates, too!

Cons

So far I haven't found any cons other than the fact that all help is on-line (but isn't that so for most stuff nowadays?) I used to like having a brochure/booklet to accompany a program so I could go step by step and learn all the features.

Reasons for Choosing Apache OpenOffice

It was more user-friendly and I had heard very good things about it. MSWord was getting old, and it had been around a while with no improvements. I wanted to go with something new and fresh.

Nathaly from Colegio Caniguá

I use it in all aspects related to my work, it is easy to use, effective and free

I have done very complex works in an easy way, I have had very colorful and efficient presentations, as well as, I have done many graphics in Calc, when I have had doubts I have received technical support and I have expanded my opportunities by downloading the extensions, it is an office suite very complete and wonderful

Pros

It allows me to fulfill my work tasks efficiently and with good appearance, it exports my PDF documents very easily, it has many work templates, it does not take up much space on my hard drive, it has many extensions that I can download when I need it and It is always in constant update and I do not have to pay the license

Cons

It occupies a lot of RAM so it was a bit slow, the compatibility of text files with respect to Microsoft Word shows weaknesses

Paola from Photoventura

The best spreadsheet tool out there

Pros

I love this software. I install this software on every machine I use before I even think about opening a spreadsheet file. I just think it is user-friendly, easy to use, clean, and it does the trick. It is free! That's the best part if we forget that it works seamlessly and never freezes my system like other similar tools do. Presentations are easy to create. I just can't understand the clogged interphase of other software tools after using Open Office. I always go back to it.

Cons

No cons; other than an occasional compatibility issue between Microsoft Word or Excel, but I wouldn't blame that on Open Office, to be honest! It's a great tool and I'm a big fan. Would never switch at this point.

OpenOffice Review

Like I've just said I've used this for about 17 years now and I got the latest version and I love using it. Has everything I need. Can't find anything to complain about. I highly recommend this for writers who don't want to pay the high price for Word.

Pros

I like that this document writer is easy to use. I like that fact I can use Dragon Naturally Speaking program with it when my hands are bothering me or just don't want to type the old fashion way. It had a read-aloud tool plus word count that I use often.

Cons

I've used this program for 17 years now and I can't find anything wrong with it. It has just about everything that Word has. Sometimes you just have to look for it or youtube it. But I've found everything I need so far in this word document.

Sagar from Pi tech Solutions Pvt. Ltd.

OpenOffice is best open source software ever

I was Microsoft Office user once upon a time and couldn't imagine living without it. But then we decided to go open source way and came across OpenOffice. I am using OpenOffice for more than 5 years now. At first, it felt different than Office but more I used OpenOffice I got good at it and since then never felt the need of going back to Microsoft Office again. It has all the bells and whistles at free of cost. People often complain that they can't use shortcut keys they are used to, but if you Google you will find alternative shortcut keys for the same thing. Agreed it does not have jazzy GUI, but do you want functionality or looks? I just love OpenOffice now and I recommend it to everyone very strongly.

Pros

Ease to use All features you would expect Fast & responsive All shortcut keys work

Cons

None. I like its down-to-earth UI which other people frown upon.