All ProWritingAid Reviews

PWA is my editor

Bifta Sama

Higher Education, 501-1,000 employees

Excellent tool for proofreading

As a researcher, I must routinely compose scientific articles and academic reports. In my case, I frequently make errors in my writing, such as misspellings, grammatical errors, incorrect word choice, punctuation errors, improper sentence structure, etc. I address these issues by utilizing ProWritingAid. It addresses the majority of the aforementioned concerns and enhances the quality of writing.

PROS

It has a special feature known as "data visualization" that helps to assess my writing. This feature really helps me to identify the lacking in my writing. It works nicely with Microsoft Word, a variety of browsers, and email. The most incredible thing about it is that it can recognize an incorrect word in a sentence and then offer the correct term to replace it. In addition, tools like spell check, grammar correction, sentence structure suggestions, and word suggestions all come in handy when I'm writing essays.

CONS

The most annoying thing is that if I make a sentence with passive voice, it unnecessarily detects this structure and suggests changing the passive voice structure. In academic writing, I have to often use the passive voice structure. Secondly, I would say it is costly as compared to other similar tools, especially for the student.

Reasons for switching to ProWritingAid

After reading some reviews of ProWritingAid, I realized that ProWritingAid will be the best option for my task.

Dr Mekhala

Publishing, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2022

Useful software if you know what you want from it.

Useful software if you know what you want from it. I couple it with macros and other professional software to perform my duties in my fiction editing business. I will be buying it again, as I have integrated the parts I like into my daily working.

PROS

Things I really like and use daily: 1. Check for echoes 2. Repetition/word phrase overuse. 3. Punctuation check

CONS

Things I don't like or use: 1. Working on long documents is difficult 2. Analyzing the whole document is hard, and it crashes my word, this caused me to lose time and money. Hence why I only choose the above checks. 3. The style guides were difficult to set up, so i never used it to its full potential

Reason for choosing ProWritingAid

It was the most useful for what I needed it for. Lots of choices, and it was accurate. Takes some getting used to. but once you have cracked it, it is easy enough to work with.

Peter

Gambling & Casinos, 1 employee

Reviewed June 2020

Great Tool for Extremely Short Texts, Monumental Fail Otherwise

Sharing my two cents about ProWritingAid that I purchased a lifetime licence for: If you're reviewing texts about 300 - 400 words in length at maximum, you'll be happy with the tool. Otherwise, it's not worth the money. If you need a short-term solution, then by all means go for it but don't pay a buck for actually using the SW. I've been using the Word add-on for over three months now and if you want to use most of the tools on more than 800 words, the tool simply can't handle the 'load.' Usually, it breaks off after a minute or so and you can run the check again which normally doesn't help. You end up wasting a ton of your time and accomplish nothing at all. While the language advice and the correction improvements you get recommended are helpful, you're better off using Grammarly or another alternative if you're reviewing long chunks of text in one go and don't want to constantly copy-paste from Word to their interface and back which is a pain if you have to do that daily like myself.

PROS

Totally intuitive. If you know anything about how English, grammar and vocabulary alike, finding your way through the options and how they work will be a breeze. No learning curve. The tool as well as the report are perfectly self-explanatory. Easy-to-use online interface.

CONS

Useless add-on when dealing with texts of 800+ words. Constant copy-pasting to and from the online interface wasting your time.

Reasons for switching to ProWritingAid

I prefer to purchase software rather than rent it (i.e. renew subscriptions) but I rather pay for regular Grammarly subscriptions now that I know what ProWritingAid has to offer. I can always make more money but the time wasted hoping ProWritingAid would actually return any results when it did not is gone for good. Copy-pasting text from Word to their online interface is not a long-term solution if you're handling dozens of pages of text every day.

Diwakar Dixit

Information Technology and Services, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed March 2024

A brilliant AI editor which may need few improvement

PROS

I have been using ProWritingAid since March 2020 as a replacement of Grammarly,  as this provides lifetime subscription, which is very much cheaper compared to Grammarly. Since it uses your account to authenticate, you can install this on an unlimited device. It also provides suggestions to the sentences you have written and suggests the whole paragraph to be written in a better way. It has a diction too. It has Homonym function which checks for the incorrect word usage or the words which sounds alike and spelled differently . Another feature it includes is sticky, a function that suggests glue words which will slow down . In addition, it addresses the grammatical mistake you were making and highlights the improvement you have made. Realtime correction helps you to write an email or any documentation faster. Provides readability grade(to measure how easily a user can read your document).

CONS

Addon will slow down outlook sometimes, and it may even crash. I would love to see updates every quarter. Android app will definitely help in composting emails and writing a document in tablet.

Stasha

E-Learning, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2022

It's not an alternative. It's your first choice.

I feel like I am in the learning process, and I can see how much I can write things well. I am happy with that experience. Everything is easy to follow, and it's pretty clear with the point. I couldn't expect more.

PROS

It's more than fixing mistakes. Not simple as tap here and tap there, and your writing will look like you are professional in that job. It gives you the knowledge and the possibility to learn during your essay. I like how the service represents a mistake, with arguments and tips. Also, in the app window, you can view all your success and effort you must invest to be good enough in writing. You have access to the complete education process. You can follow your engagement directly from the App window while typing. It has a live view of the writing process from the Goal tab. I like it.

CONS

The app window on the Goal tab is bean little confusing for me. It's very useful, but the look is messy on the first view. It's a subjective experience and doesn't mean it's not right.

Reasons for switching to ProWritingAid

I am using the Grammarly Pro plan, and it sometimes messes up my contexts, and lines lose correct meaning. I had more benefits from ProWriting App than from the others. To write well, you can check alternatives, but I want to learn from my mistakes, and that's why I prefer this App above the others.

Lalao

Internet, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2022

Get the best writing experience with ProWritingAid!

I love my experience with ProWritingAid! It's been a great help in fine-tuning my writing and catching errors I would never have caught on my own. The best part is that it is very easy to use and I can see changes to my work immediately.

PROS

I find ProWritingAid to be an excellent tool. Not only does it help me correct my mistakes such as grammatical errors that I would have missed, overuse of words, and inconsistency of style, but it also gives me tips on how to improve my writing, which makes it easier to read. It is a perfect writing assistant that allows me to track my progress and make sure I am getting the most out of the software.

CONS

I will say that ProwritingAid is detail-oriented, but for me, I don't mind.

Reasons for switching to ProWritingAid

ProWritingAid detects errors in long content.

Eugene

Information Technology and Services, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed May 2020

Must have if you are a writer

I'm using this tool mostly when I'm writing posts for my personal blog. It helps me to do all kinds of analysis over my text and make it better. Although, it is good for every day usage, when it highlights common errors in real-time.

PROS

It has a simple to use widget that can highlight your grammatic errors in real time. Though, when you want to open a detailed view, you can do that by tapping on the widget and it will open a full-featured editor with a lot of data about your writing.

CONS

Sometimes, the widget does not work for some of the text editors on websites. Hell, it even didn't work on the website where I'm writing the review now.

Reasons for switching to ProWritingAid

ProWritingAid has more tools for writing analysis.

Muhammad

ProWritingAid

It is a subscription-based application that works online to check spell and plagiarism. It is best to use for the proofreader, blog poster, and content writer to attract the readers to their content.

PROS

It is a subscription-based application that works perfectly for me. It checks the plagiarism It supports both Windows and mac

CONS

It only works in online applications. Sometimes network issues may concern your proofreading

Reasons for switching to ProWritingAid

It seems better functionality than ProWritingAid

Amith

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Reviewed August 2022

Best personal writing solution

Definitely a better solution in terms of usability and the information it provides to improve writing. The option for extremely affordable purchase is another great advantage of using this tool.

PROS

It helps me write properly without any grammar and spelling mistakes. Its a reliable and accurate tool for students, bloggers, and creative writers.

CONS

So far I do not have any negative comments about this product. Overall great tool for writers.

Reasons for switching to ProWritingAid

Grammarly business is expensive and they do not have great customer service.

Alternative Medicine, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2023

What is ProWriting Aid like to Use

Polishing he text I produce is a far smoothr and correct process now

PROS

it is transparent. I do not have to enter another app and set up the file and default system structure

CONS

The American grammar and spelling bias!In entering my name for this survey, I dislike being prevented from typing my name as it legally is, i.e. Tarbox-Cooper. Hyphens are part of the English language and nomenclatures.

Reasons for switching to ProWritingAid

because ProWritingAid is so much easier to use, it is more often correct. Also Grammarly were in the process, they told me, of changing their policies.

William

Information Technology and Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2022

ProWritingAid gives professional tools to everyone

I have edited over 3,000,000 words using this software, over several years. It is formidable, and thorough. From novels to articles, blog posts to emails ProWritingAid delivers the goods. It is flexible, and you can denote both tone and style.

PROS

For instance, picking an Academic Style, with a formal tone, vs a Romance Novel and casual style. The suggestions can be modified according to native language as well! An excellent tool, and one I use every day.

CONS

It has a bit of a tendency to initially be very conservative regarding passive / active voice and reading levels. While this is good for casual articles, when using it to proof academic papers, it can be too aggressive. Luckily, it is tunable. Another thing is that having to pay an additional fee to purchase 'credits' for use in detecting plagiarism is a bit problematic.

Reason for choosing ProWritingAid

Better performance, but twice the cost. Then I obtained PWA as part of a bundle, and the cost was competitive.

Chuck

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2021

Accelerate your time to Edit with precision and accuracy

In addition to customizing software for clients, we also have to write copy- this has to be professionally done based on the client's specifications, and the turnaround time can be brutal. After a few too many problems with Grammarly, we decided to trial ProWritingAid. The depth of the reports, the speed of using the software, and the integrations sold it from that point.

PROS

ProWritingAid integrates easily with our workflow and software in order to speed up the editing process and introduce diversity in the copy, pointing out weaknesses that other software misses. The report that it produces of the writing is excellent, covering areas that were not in our standards.

CONS

In our business, we have to use many custom terms and company names. You can put these into your dictionary, but it is a more manual process than it should be. We were used to being able to import lists of common terms, but there was not an obvious way to do the same, and research into this did not prove fruitful in changing that.

Reasons for switching to ProWritingAid

Lost work and glitches in the software coupled with less than stellar support.

Ryan

Publishing, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2019

Best grammar software in the industry! Grammarly can't compete!

I'm a self-published author running a small press and I couldn't afford to be in business without the help of ProWritingAid's excellent software. I depend on it to deliver clean, readable drafts each and every time I publish a new novel.

PROS

I absolutely love the flexibility and platform support that ProWritingAid offers. No matter which platform or software you use to get your writing done, ProWritingAid supports it — and does it well! When taken feature for feature, comparatively Grammarly and other similar writing software can't compete. And did I mention the price? A lifetime subscription is worth its weight in gold for anyone who considers themselves a professional writer, no matter the medium.

CONS

There are some bugs in the software, and they vary depending on which platform you're using, but they're easy to overlook given the overall value proposition that ProWritingAid offers. I wouldn't use anything else.

Reasons for switching to ProWritingAid

Because Grammarly was so limited in how many apps and platforms it supported, in addition to how inadequate and incorrect its correction algorithms were.

Nadja

Media Production, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2019

Best editing software on the market

I signed up for a ProWritingAid trial after reading a review about it. I'd been a paying client with Grammarly for years, but my experience with PWA during the trial period alone made me a convert, and I haven't looked back since. Fantastical product!

PROS

ProWritingAid is an incredibly comprehensive editing software. How many of its editing categories you look at and implement is up to you and how much time you have available, but they're always there. The software stands head and shoulders above competitors in this regard. It's also, for the budget-conscious, a lot more affordable. True value for money - the best investment anyone who works with words in any capacity can make!

CONS

Not sure if it's a glitch, but sometimes when I accept an edit, then undo, it's unable to. Also, it doesn't catch every single grammar mistake (9 times out of 10 it does, though), so I'd advise to have the free version of Grammarly installed as a backup.

Reasons for switching to ProWritingAid

More comprehensive and robust editing capabilities, better pricing

Reviewed August 2019

A mixed bag

Overall, it's been a useful tool which has helped me improve my writing style. I try to find amusement in its bizarre, triggered reactions to individual words without considering context. For now, I'll continue to use it, but I can foresee a time when I feel I don't need it anymore - unless the improvements I've mentioned above get addressed.

PROS

It's a Microsoft Word plug-in, making it readily available whenever I'm working. The report descriptions are clear and concise, and the results are often helpful. The most useful reports are the Sticky Sentence Check (which helps me minimise fluffy writing), the Overused Words Check (which picks up the most common instances), and the Pronoun check (which helps me avoid excessive pronoun usage). Other reports (the Sentence Length and Dialogue Tags checks) offer useful information too, but they satisfy my interest in document statistics.

CONS

Three things stand out. 1. The Grammar Check for the Word plug-in doesn't have a user-custom dictionary. (Grammarly and Word both provide this feature.) Since I'm writing fantasy, the Grammar Check throws out an irritating stream of unrecognised words - which I've trained Grammarly and Word to accept. 2. The Grammar Check and Writing Style Check have a limited view of context, which often leads to me rejecting every suggestion. For example, it recently flagged "like", suggesting that I consider a stronger verb: examination of the surrounding words would have shown that it wasn't a verbal usage. Some tautology suggestions seem bizarre: it flags "cool" and "smooth", but these are only synonymous in a very limited language community; and it flags "heavy" and "wet" as synonymous, for some unfathomable reason. 3. There are settings to restrict certain checks within dialogue. I'd like to prevent checks for "emotion tells" in dialogue: people often say "I'm delighted to meet you", or "I'm afraid you're wrong." Such utterances shouldn't be flagged.

Mani

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Reviewed April 2023

ProWritingAid Indivitual Lifetime Buyer review

Overall, it is helpful but not the best, and I purchased it assuming it would unlock some exceptional hidden features that are not available in the free version. However, I don't think I noticed any surprising features. But as I have a lifetime membership, I am excited to see upcoming features, which I believe will be available as a lifetime buyer, so I am hoping for the best in the future.

PROS

It gives several rephrases and synonyms for each selected world, if possible. It has a different reporting mechanism that helps determine the problems in long sentences, and it is more inexpensive than other grammar-checking platforms like Grammarly.

CONS

It does not correct the sentence by suggesting grammar fixes; when I recheck the sentence with Grammarly after fixing it via ProWritingAid, Grammarly sometimes still gives grammar errors. Sometimes both ProWritingAid and Grammarly contradict each other. I used the paid version of Grammarly for a few months. I believe that saves time when you have to work quickly during the working day, and quick auto-suggestion works well in Grammarly.Sometimes, when I have to reply quickly to someone with a grammatically correct sentence, when responses are slow, even on a 300 KBPS fiber optic connection, I can't respond quickly, thus feeling messed up.

Photography, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2021

Pro Writing Aid - very useful

Not business as such, but in my book series, I use this as a first step in cleaning up an initial draft, so that by the time the manuscript gets to my editor, there are fewer problems to clean up.

PROS

It's both stand alone and a plug-in for Word. Therefore I can fire it up and have it check a chapter while I am in Word, or I can have it proof the whole document while not in word. If that makes sense. It certainly helps to clean up that initial fast draft.

CONS

I'm not very fond of the subscription model. I tends to think I need to write in a classic style, but I write fantasy, and as such, I will craft sentences that this will flag. Thus I have to wade through crotch-deep false flags, versus where I actually have a problem.

Reasons for switching to ProWritingAid

Pro Writing Aid is a bit more robust.

Valerie