What are Shift users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Shift software through verified user reviews

• icon"I have one workspace for all of my assistants to research. This workspace can also be shared which is awesome."
  • icon"Ease of use coupled with it's compatibilty with many additional apps like messenger apps whatsapp, facebook, and productivity apps like trello and monday."
  • icon"The customer service has been spectacular, and always very responsive."
  • icon"I do not see this problem on the Mac side at all where I can leave it open all the time and never have the same problem."
  • icon"It’s inability to function with our company outlook email without a workaround is a serious inconvenience."
  • icon"NOW, it does not work and locks up the application completely, to the point that I have no choice but to remove it from my shift."

Browse all Shift Reviews

• Have you used Shift and would like to share your experience with others?

Julliana

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

A dashboard to increase efficienct

Katie

Keeps My Browser Windows Under Control

Shift helps me keep organized, both personally and professionally, and allows me to go back and forth between applications without losing my mind.

Pros

I'm the type of person who tends to have multiple browser windows open, and Shift helps me stay organized and keep the number of browser windows open under control. I use it daily to check my many email and social media accounts, to chat via multiple message apps, to keep track of my personal and professional calendars, and to attend to basic business and even personal tasks right there in the same browser, from Trello to my home budgeting software. It keeps everything all in one place and prevents me from losing my mind. When I see colleagues struggling to find the right tab in a sea of many browser windows, I always suggest Shift as a way to help them keep their browser windows under control as well!

Cons

I have noticed that at times the software can be a bit laggy. When I know I need to do intensive work, say in Google Docs or something, I will open the document in the default browser in order to prevent a delay. This is not usually a problem with basic email, messaging, or other simple tasks.

Christopher

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Love your Product, Except

I do not need to have multiple applications open to find out what is going on, Social Media, Email, internal SLACK, School applications, webhooks, git hub all in one location means that I have only a single

Pros

Ease of use, simple. I love having all my social media sites, emails, Cloud Locations in one place. The add-ons for all the tabs really helps. I like that I do not have to have all my browser windows open.

Cons

At the start before the update in July 2019, MS Teams worked really well. NOW, it does not work and locks up the application completely, to the point that I have no choice but to remove it from my shift. The lack of 64 Client is also an issue, I am sure with an i9 CPU processor the use of more than a 32-bit application has its limitations. But, I wish it would use more of the active CPU usage so that I can utilize this.

Reasons for switching to Shift

Too costly and no integration with my needed application.

Response from Redbrick Technologies

Thank you for the review! We're very happy to hear you love having multiple apps in one location in Shift. Are you still having an issue with MS Teams? If so, our support team would love to hear from you: https://support.tryshift.com/new.

Will

Industry: Performing Arts

Beautiful concept; execution needs work

Pros

LOVE that it allows me to shift (get it?) between apps and accounts without changing windows. The integration with G-Suite is helpful since I manage multiple email accounts but generally use Drive with only one (this sort of arrangement frequently causes authentication issues when implemented in a browser)--so I am able to swap between email accounts while working on a spreadsheet in my "master" account. Adore the integration with apps like WhatsApp, Slack and HootSuite--it's like having my very own personalized terminal with all of the solutions I need to get my work done efficiently. I also like that I can rearrange the stack of accounts and apps to suit my workflow.

Cons

This software is buggy as hell. I frequently have to re-authenticate my Gmail accounts as well as apps like HubSpot, HootSuite and WhatsApp (for some reason, Slack is pretty much the only app I have noticed that does not require me to regularly re-enter my credentials). I wouldn't mind this all that much, except for the fact that Slack does not seem to talk to Apple's Keychain, so I end up having to look up my (sometimes lengthy) passwords for each account. This will sometimes happen mid-session, with no explanation. Another issue is that my Gmail accounts will routinely reload while I'm in the middle of composing a message. Again, no explanation provided, just a dialogue saying "changes you make might not be saved" and then adios! The rate at which these issues occur is high enough that I have considered abandoning the product ("why am I paying to take twice as long to write an email?"), especially since, even though I am a paying subscriber, support for these issues has been fair to middling. The latest response I received was that authentication issues can happen when the same Shift account is installed on multiple devices--which seems ridiculous, by the way, for those of us neanderthals that still have multiple computers--and that uninstalling shift on my other computers *should* fix the problem. It didn't, but I have yet to find another product worth my taking the time and effort to rejig my workflow/learn a new interface.

Gustavo

July 2022

Very good product

Easy to use with a good interface

Pros

Easy to use with a good interface and compatibility.

Cons

More integrated connectors, as those with making better software.

Zane

Simple, Effective, and Worth Every Penny!

Gosh, where to begin. I loved the software the minute I watched the promo. Thought it was too good to be true, then tried the free version and then fell in love and invested in the pro version - BEST MONEY SPENT. Been using it ever since I found it in early July. GREAT feature and keeps me focused and productive. LOVE LOVE LOVE the software!

Pros

I love how it cuts down on my CPU usage. Chrome takes lots of memory and Shift seems to do the job with 1/3 of the power. I love how I can have my Whatsup, text messages, and emails all in one spot. LOVE IT!

Cons

I would love if we can have the mute notification for longer than 24 hrs and also enable that on more than just the email.

Reasons for switching to Shift

Not very organized. Didn't fix the CPU usage issue like Shift does.

Response from Redbrick Technologies

Thank you for the review! We're happy to hear that you love Shift. It is possible to mute notifications for up to 99 hours and 99 minutes and it is possible to mute notifications for mail, calendar and apps. If you're still having these issues, please feel free to create a support ticket (https://support.tryshift.com/new) and have our team solve this for you.

Bartłomiej

Very usefull and convinient tool

Great for everyday use, simple in setup, and helpful.

Pros

It has tons of applications integrated that allow for setting up all work in one application. The concept of workspaces grouping different tools around for example specific project helps focus and keeping everything organized.

Cons

For personal use, it may be perceived as pricy.

Reasons for switching to Shift

To have visibility of all notifications and work-related stuff in one place.

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Sign-In Issues

Pros

I have four business accounts I can see at once, switch between calendars and files, and get notifications all in one place. I hated having multiple windows open in my browser and having to switch between tabs.

Cons

I am having to sign-in to my accounts and authorize shift to access my info too frequently. I don't have to do it this often online. Once approved, shouldn't Shift be recognized by Google?

Reasons for choosing Shift

Kiwi was not as functional. Shift allows me to have the same interface within each application and feature as the web - which is really nice.

Hana

The Concept is Great, Quite a Few Bugs

Overall, the value of Shift is outweight the cons. I hope they remedy the MacBook usage dilemma because it often slows my computer down.

Pros

I manage a dozen or so email addresses and Shift does a great job with letting me access all of the accounts in one space. A couple of years ago, we sent a request for Shift to integrate with Lastpass and they integrated with it pretty quickly, which is helpful with password management of all of the accounts I juggle. I also love that Google Drive and Calendar work well right there in the platform very well.

Cons

Shift is quite buggy. It freezes often and takes up a lot of CPU memory on my MacBook. It often makes my fan start spinning quickly to cool my MacBook down. Microsoft Outlook doesn't work as well as Gmail accounts, so I still use a browser for Outlook. I like that it integrates with Dropbox so you can save email attachments in a Dropbox folder right in the app. However, in my experience, several documents that I would save would end up not saving even when indicating it was saved. I would not find out until weeks later when looking for that document. The thing I dislike most is the option to have external links open inside of Shift or your preferred browser. I would prefer all of my external links to open in Chrome, but this preference will also apply to Google Suite products. So if I open a Google Doc or Spreadsheet, it will open in a browser instead of in Shift. That gets annoying.

Roger

Industry: Law Practice

Condensing a work pc into software

My overall experience with Shift has been positive. The ability to disconnect me from work is critical.

Pros

The thing I appreciate most about Shift is the fact that it acts as my work PC, on my personal PC. I have it open all day and use it for communications via email, Discord, Tweetdeck and Linkedin. When I'm done with my day, I simply close the app and I don't have to worry about alerts or pings while I'm using my PC for personal matters. It helps create an easy way to disconnect from work.

Cons

Shift can be very resource intensive if you leave it open. At times, this has slowed my PC down significantly, requiring a reboot.

Industry: Executive Office

Shift is a time saver and a life saver

I have used the paid version for years. It is fantastic. Everything I use all day in one central location. No more open tabs and jumping between tabs or apps. Simple and elegant!

Pros

Shift allows me to get more done in my day and has helped me to increase my productivity. It is well thought out and so easy to use and deploy.

Cons

To be honest, I don't have a feature I don't like.

Lauren

Shift by Redbrick Review

It's neutral. I like it for collecting email, Trello, and Slack into one window, but the rest of my experience has been mediocre. I thought this would eliminate my million tabs, but the integrations that sold me on the product don't function as they should, so that simply isn't the outcome I got. Support was helpful in offering for me to switch to the beta version, but I am not convinced that will solve any of these issues, and I don't have time to email back and forth with support every single time this happens.

Pros

1. Ease of use 2. Interface 3. Having Trello, Slack, and two email accounts in one window

Cons

Many of the integrations I hoped to use simply do not work. So for Shift to claim it has them and then to experience them not functioning effectively is extremely frustrating. And this is not user error. I have tried closing, quitting, and reopening the application, refreshing, logging in and out of accounts, and completely deleting and re-adding integrations. Nothing helped. I completely understand glitches now and again and understand these integrations require communication between platforms. However, the extent to which I am having issues with integrations is unreasonable. I'm specifically referring to: 1. Spotify (won't play music) 2. Toggl (won't load, blank screen except for top navigation) 3. Squarespace (won't load) 4. Sprout social (won't load, blank screen)

Response from Redbrick Technologies

Thank you for the review! We're happy to hear you're finding Shift easy to use and enjoying having your apps and multiple email accounts in one window. You may have noticed the addition of focused web tabs recently and that many of the bugs you mentioned have been fixed. However, if you're still have any of these issues or any new issues have come up, we'd love to hear from you. Feel free to reach out or to create a support ticket (https://support.tryshift.com/new).

Kyle

Industry: Online Media

IMAP E-Mail System Would Be The Cherry On Top

Overall the experience has been very beneficial to the productivity of our operation and simplification of the many different accounts and applications that we have to use with our variety of clientele.

Pros

The ability to switch between so many Google accounts and additional applications has saved me countless hours, at this point probably days worth of time, allowing me to become far more efficient and effective with my consulting firm.

Cons

As a consulting firm we will be assigned e-mail accounts within a clients domain for short periods of time during our contracts that are not always a gmail based e-mail account, but just IMAP accounts. We currently use Spark as our e-mail client and it's frustrating that the only option within Shift to manage multiple non-gmail accounts is to pay for another subscription model, instead of being able to use Spark, RoundCube, or another free e-mail client. The program has had issues from time to time with how it handles toggling between different accounts. When switching between Asana companies it will open a new window instead of working within shift. At times Google Sheets will try to open in the web browser instead of a Shift window, even with the settings set for Shift window. While these issues do get addressed at updates, the seem to continue to randomly happen as the app is used.

Reasons for choosing Shift

Shift was more built out at the time to handle our needs. Might be making a switch to Station though as they have an integration with Outlook that can provide us the workaround we need for our IMAP e-mail accounts.

Carley

Overall Shift has been perfect

I rate this software a B+ / A grade essentially. I am very happy. I have not added in a ton of applications such as evernote, and zoho. I really am just happy with the email aspect part of my day to day.

Pros

I have 5 total emails. 2 of them are office 365. You may ask, why 6. We we are a company that develops strategic relationships with other Marketing Agencies, and we are required part of a white label to communicate part of other teams. Having multiple emails is a crucial part of our operations. Originally I used Kiwi, but Kiwi only supports Gmail / Gsuite accounts. 3 years ago I had everything in outlook, but calendar appoints was horrible. Shift allows me to keep everything in front of my eyes with all email accounts. I am very happy with Shift, and several of our team members use it. if your happy with the Gmail interface, but have multiple email accounts. This software is exactly for you. Look no further, because I spent years trying to find a Windows Based desktop application to manage my emails. Before Shift I have multiple chrome logins and browser tabs open for Gmail. I was missing emails, and everything was out of sorts.

Cons

The only issue I see and experience is sometimes having 6 accounts in Shift my emails are about 30 seconds to 60 seconds delaying incoming. Not the end of the world. The other issue, is about 2 times a weeks one or all of the accounts prompt me to re-authenticate. A little bit of a pain, but not a deal breaker.

Gene

My New Dashboard for Everything

I started out looking for a solution that would let me run multiple Gmail accounts without having to log out of one to log in to another. Shift did exactly what I was looking for.... and more. Simply by clicking an account icon, I could switch between Google accounts and have full access to ALL services in that Google account. Pretty soon, I was using Shift as my primary email client. Then I started using it as my interface to all my GDrive accounts. Then I discovered that I could add other common apps. The latest update added a built in browser. Now, I am pretty much using Shift as my dashboard for most of what I do online. It's a marvel of design that combines simplicity, ease-of-use, and powerful functionality into a single window with multiple panes. This is the front end tool that Google would have designed if it had done a better job of understanding how its products were used in the real world, i.e. multiple services across multiple accounts, combined with frequent use of other apps. The only problem I have had is that they frequently update the product, and one update became incompatible with my older MacOS. But the support people were super helpful, and within a week or so they had come up with a patch to fix things. At this point, Shift has become a more important tool in my online activities than Google Chrome, and that says a lot.

Pros

- intuitive, simple user interface - ability to control multiple accounts in multiple apps without signing in and out - seamless integration with Google mail, drive and other services - ability to add practically any app that I might use - works on both my WIndows and Mac devices

Cons

- would like a little more flexibility to customize the gmail interface - have had a couple of issues with newer upgrades not working with my older MacOS

Damon

Shift Review- Nice but room for improvement

Overall it has been used daily so it has to be pretty good. I experienced some bugs in browsing on the reddit extension and customer service was helpful and prompt but it still doesnt handle tons of loaded content as well as a browser.

Pros

Nice to have a place separate than browser to keep primary correspondence/instant messaging apps... both because it means that my browser does not need to be logged in and because I don't have to log into individual accounts. I like that you have the ability to open links externally and that apps maintain full functionality within the tool.

Cons

Some of these are particular to me, but I will start with the general stuff: - Design related... Would be nice to have a bit more customization around themes/colors/size of tabs/placement of tabs. Also the "+" button under the email accounts is a bit distracting and not necessary since I don't often add new email accounts, and often click on it accidentally. Also would be nice to be able to order your email accounts and other accounts without having to keep the primary accounts at the top and the others at the bottom... this also makes it very space inefficient since there is a big blank space between them. -Features... Not sure if this is possible given the amount of apps you plug into, but a mobile version would make this much more worth the money- frankly a game changer. Additional microsoft services would be nice... excel online (I know I can do this in the browser from the email but separate would be cool)

Justin

Shift is an amazing time saver!

I own a recording studio and I also run an artist management and consulting company. So I generally have a ton of emails that I have to keep up with as well as utilize a lot of applications and plugins with them like Hubspot and Grammarly and a ton of other programs like Gchat, asana, Buffer, Slack and a ton of others. So being able to see everything at a quick glace has been an enormous time-saver for me! It is something that I have up every day and is basically the core of my workflow. I've recommended it to several other people in my industry and show it off as often as I can. Now that I've joined the referral program, I'm really gonna try and show it to as many people as I can. Time is money in my line of work so I know if it is able to make me more efficient, then it can help just about any entrepreneur

Pros

I love that it allows me to have all of my emails and main applications that I use on a daily basis right there in one easy window where I can easily see any notifications. Giving me that quick glance of everything saves me a ton of time. I really love the all email search feature. Running a few businesses makes it hard sometimes to remember which email sent which item so that helps me track stuff down very quickly.

Cons

I know at least for me. Running a MacBook on 10.13.6 with great specs, it still seems to be a heavy resource hog. But I am using a ton of the applications and integrations with it. It does tend to log me out of several of my email account every few days for some reason. But I am unsure if that is a specific Shift thing or something to do with Gmail.

Sara

Work Every Penny!

Shift helps me just jump into whatever I need, FAST. At any given moment as a small business owner who has at least 20 different things going at once Shift helps me get it done. I could go on and on about the individual uses I get out of Shift. When you run everything on your own you need all the help you can get.

Pros

It's all right there. No opening and accidentally closing browser tabs, no hunting down bookmarks or even wasting a few second typing the beginning of a website to get where you need to be. I manage multiple email accounts and use several different applications to communicate with clients and manage my business. Time is something I can never get more of so when it comes to tools and saving time even as a small business owner Shift is extremely valuable to me. Between the extensive collection of apps and browser extensions, everything is right at my fingertips. Just a few seconds can really add up over a day/month/year... It's worth EVERY single penny to me!

Cons

I don't have many complaints about Shift except the short lag getting notifications through my Gmail accounts. I will get a ding on my phone before I get a ding in Shift. It's minor but that is the only thing I can think of that really would be anything annoying.

Scott

SHIFTed to the Next Level

I work with many different clients as a Youth Leadership Education Coach, this means balancing many different GMail accounts. I need them to stay seperate, but access them individually quickly. Shift helps me do that. There are at least six additional applications that I work in every day to manage projects, schedule, documents, finances, etc. All of those are connected within one dashboard by Shift. Having it all in one place helps me stay away from YouTube and other social media (though you can connect those applications to!). I truly feel that my work has elevated because of this tool.

Pros

I LOVE SHIFT! Given me ease & convenience of having my many email accounts be in one place Ability to connect my email and project management tools Navigated the distractions of web browsers, it was too easy to wander over to social media/amazon. Now I can have it within the one tool - including links to google docs/dropbox documents It really has helped me elevate my efficiency and time management so that I can get more done.

Cons

I honestly don't have anything that hold me back because of this tool. Perhaps allowing me to change the background color of the application tiles? I know I can change the color that shows when I hover over the tool but being able to see that color before hovering/clicking could be helpful.

Matthew

Shift has optimized my life!

Overall, my experience has been incredibly positive. I am looking forward to starting my second year with the membership and fully maximizing the increased efficiency. My peers marvel at how I am able to balance all of the various commitments and work that is required and I owe so much of that to Shift. As someone who works remotely from my co-workers, communication is vital to be effective in my job. With Shift, I am always at the top of my game!

Pros

The ability to manage several accounts and applications simultaneously from one desktop has increased my production dramatically. I serve on several boards and have positions that require monitoring as many as 8 emails. Shift has given me the ability to easily move between accounts and constantly keep my pulse on what is happening in my various roles. I like to operate with maximum efficiency and be very timely with my responses and Shift has allowed me to be at the top of my game at all times.

Cons

This is a nitpick, but I am someone who likes to have zero unread emails in my inbox. The hotkey to make an email read is Ctrl + Q. However, that is also the hotkey for closing the application. So I will frequently close out of Shift and have to re-login which is inconvenient. I also find that the logins will frequently expire for emails I do not check daily and it can cause issues where I am not aware that new messages have arrived since the inbox is not updating.

Philip

Industry: Music

A Company that Knows Where It's Going

In my opinion $100 per year is negligible to be able to search across all your work platforms and re-organize your work environment. That said, some readers may not have money to blow in which case Shift is not for them. If you are looking for a free option that consolidates email and apps, don't despair. There are apps like Franz and Rambox to name but a few. These apps are similar to Shift in many ways but offer more options in terms of their free versions. If you are professional willing to invest in an app that may well save you time and money in the long run, then this might be a perfect fit.

Pros

According to their website, "Shift is the desktop app for streamlining your accounts, apps, and workflows." and if you watch a tutorial video you'll see it does exactly that. On the free version you can add two email accounts and 1 app account. Thus, the free version is ideal for someone who only has two Google accounts but still wants to consolidate things. The pro version costs less than 100 dollars; $99.99 per year; that's roughly $8.33 per month. It's the pro option where Shift really shines. Pro allows unlimited email accounts and apps along with the ability to do a unified search across all accounts and apps. Customers willing to pay for pro can truly streamline their workflow into one highly efficient system. Shift also offers a Team version, but you must provide details and ask for a price quotation.

Cons

The only con is that some people, like me for instance, might fail to notice the fine print and think they're getting all the pro features for free. The free version doesn't offer anything that most mail clients can't already do. As such, it seems like the free version only exists as a means to tempt the user into buying the pro version where things really happen.

Useful App

Pros

Shift allows me to manage my email inboxes all in one place without having to login to each one every single time I want to check its new content. The application itself is very easy to install and implement on your system. Really should not take more than 10 minutes all things considered. What I like the most about Shift is the easiness in which I can add an additional email or remove one that I no longer require at the moment. With the various upgraded tiers that Shift offers it also enables the app to support a multitude of additional application (other email providers and different apps that you can all integrate within your Shift platform).

Cons

Shift often gets laggy when you open it first thing in the morning. The red notification with the number of new emails that it shows is also often not accurate. Sometimes when I have read all new emails, it would still display "8" or "14" or whatever number of new emails I had previously. I also think it is costly for what it provides.

Ryan

A Jack of All Trades Application

Pros

I love the ease at which I can switch between my different accounts for any different purpose! It completely changed how I respond to communications, without having to log in and out of different emails. The notifications about which account has a new detail makes it even better! My business also requires the use of multiple forms of communication (e.g., email, text message, Facebook Messenger, Instagram), so to have a service that enables me to access all of those in one application so simply, it's perfect.

Cons

My sole frustration with the software is the lack of expediency in addressing bugs. For example, ever since I upgraded my Mac to OS Catalina, Shift has encountered numerous issues that I did not previously encounter (e.g., issues with using HTML links in email, applications shutting down) I I'm still waiting for those to be addressed and they won't be for at least another week based on prior experience.

BONNIE

SHIFT - merging all of your email inboxes, messaging apps, and other apps into one place.

When I am using my laptop, I don't have much space to shift from different browsers. It's a high space saving tool.

Pros

I appreciate that I can have the feature called, "workspaces." This is a section on the side panel where you can open up or bookmark any relevant tabs according to a particular project, or "workspace." I have one workspace for all of my assistants to research. This workspace can also be shared which is awesome.

Cons

Some apps are not available. For instance, they don't have Kakaotalk which is a pretty popular Korean messaging app (that has a desktop function as well). Others are a latency issue when loading. The browser is running off of Chrome. And when you switch between browsers or messaging apps, there is a 1-2 second latency. I original thought it was my internet, but I contacted Shift and they said that's a common occurrence with the nature of the software.

Reasons for switching to Shift

I switched from Vivladi Technologies browser. It was a great product, but I needed more functionality.

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Hi Bonnie, Thank you so much for your review of Shift. We love to hear that you're using Workspaces to collaborate with your team. Thanks for the app suggestion, we are adding new apps all the time. We have added Kakaotalk to the list and you should see it live within the next few weeks!

Replied February 2021

Excellent Product, Awful Support

The product is excellent but I'm extremely disappointed by support. I was offered a free year long trial of the beta version of Premium by a senior member of the team after having buggy experiences earlier on. A few months in I was loving it and planning to upgrade to Premium after the year. However, after a few months, the account was spontaneously downgraded. After almost 2 additional months of back and forth with support, I still didn't have access to the original subscription. The person I was in communication with was friendly and responsive at first, but literally did not acknowledge the nature of the issue and kept asking for the credit card on file (there was none since I never had a paid account). I question whether or not she actually read the emails. Eventually she stopped responding unless I followed up, became less and less friendly, and I finally just deleted the account. I loved the product but felt there was a significant disconnect with customer support that made it impossible to benefit from the Shift in a reliable way. Ultimately, the issues with customer support cost a great deal of time and I lost all of the benefits of streamlined productivity.

Pros

Easy to use, used to be really buggy but has improved significantly Chrome extensions are now available So easy to toggle between accounts Doesn't seem to use a lot of bandwidth

Cons

Customer support Frequent identity verification - but that's probably not within Shift's control

Shift