• Pros

• "Outlining feels like a very way to organise my thoughts and Checkvist implements it brilliantly. My favourite feature is its support for keyboard shortcuts. It just makes the tool so fast to use."

• "I can control everything from the keyboard (but all the natural drag-and-drop options are available as well). It's fast. It works well on both my laptop and my phone."

• "The keyboard first approach and availability of my list no matter where I am makes me super productive. I like the clean and clear style and that I can email my items to my list"

• Cons

• "Love it but would like a mobile app to make it easier to use on mobile devices. Other than, it's great."

• "Hard to point out, but this is the only backdrop: The auto-listing feature. It doesn't have to be itemize first, and then ask user for choice. "

• "- not very good mobile support (might change with the PWA implementation?) - no iOS integration (notifications, fast input etc)"

Browse Checkvist Reviews

Use it every day to organise my work

Pros

Using the keyword to manage the application makes it fast to use. Having a mobile version too is handy. Good cut and paste too between lists.

Cons

The mobile version is quite simple. It's more than adequate if you just want to view your lists or mark a task as complete. Building a list/outline from scratch, however, takes time. It compliments the excellent desktop version rather than being the primary tool.

Ralph from Saint Anne Parish Church

Outline Your Work, Your Life, and Your Life's Work

As a pastor of a parish with a large day care program, I am constantly dealing with tasks, projects, plans, preaching, writing, and other responsibilities. Checkvist allows me to pull everything together into one place and allows me the flexibility to organize it all the way that works best for me. As things change, as my responsibilities grow, as new ideas emerge, Checkvist has the power to adapt and keep me on top of everything that I need to do, as well as giving me a place to brainstorm about the future. Being able to forward my emails to Checkvist also allows me an efficient way to keep my email inbox empty while at the same time knowing that nothing will ever get lost in the shuffle. I cannot say enough about how much this software has done for me and in turn allowed me to do more and more for the people of my parish.

Pros

Checkvist provides an incredibly flexible and full featured way to create an outline of what needs to be achieved, accomplished, what needs to get done to fulfill the many plans and commitments of your work and your life. I prefer to work out of one major outline so that everything is in one place and always there right in front of me. Checkvist makes this possible by allowing any section of the outline to be "hoisted" so that I can focus more clearly on any area of my work. Likewise, when needed, I can create separate outlines to deal with a major project, or to provide more detailed support for any of the items on my main outline. Of course, it can also be used as an outliner without a task orientation, which is particularly helpful in writing and brainstorming. The team behind Checkvist are personally invested in the quality and development of this software. They keep us "in the loop" with frequent posts which they call "The Checkvist Story". Users always know what is being worked on, improved, and planned for the future. The one time that I needed to contact them for assistance, their response was nearly immediate. I cannot say enough about this software, about their development team, and about how much it has become the place I go to throughout the day to help keep me, my work, and my life on a steady course. Literally, my entire life is outlined on Checkvist!

Cons

Checkvist works perfectly well on any browser, including on mobile browsers, and they have a special mobile version of their software that works more efficiently on a phone or tablet. They are working on the development of a dedicated application for phones and tablets which will make Checkvist even more accessible than it already is. It is my hope that they will continue in their plans to develop a dedicated application, and that they will continue to work on improving the user experience by further developing the program interface. It would also be awesome if they could make email messages that are saved to the outline look more like the original message, although it is already quite usable in its present form. Like any software, future development is key, and this dedicated team takes the development of their software to a new level of transparency.

Nathan from Northwest Arkansas Community College

Love it.

Staying organized!

Pros

The features and capabilities. I also really appreciate the fact that you can do so much with keyboard shortcuts alone.

Cons

The web app and chrome extension would be better if they were also fully featured. Other than that you guys are doing a great job.

Response from Trirt Software

Replied July 2017

Hello Nathan, Thanks for the review. I'd like to mention that chrome extension has most features of the web app, I'd be interested to know which ones you miss most. Thanks!

Nick from Newcastle University

Phenomenal keyboard driven outliner / todo list

It has helped me to improve my organisation. It is also a great app for getting your thoughts down on paper and general brainstorming.

Pros

As a thoroughly disorganised person working in a demanding field, I depend heavily on my task-management system. There are a huge variety of apps on the market, but none have quite the flexibility of checkvist, or its keyboard driven ethos. For example, if I wish to assign a date to an app, I press 'd' twice, and just type the date using natural language. The task automatically gets imported into my calendar (google). Using the search bar I can rapidly find high-priority tasks, and I can quickly view a list of forthcoming tasks. While many task management apps have these kinds of features I doubt they are so beautifully implemented. An additional feature of checkvist is its outlining capabilities. So, as well as using it to manage task, you can use it plan talks, or writing assignments. Keyboard driven shortcuts are extremely intuitive, and make it an absolute breeze to use. The company is always innovating on the basis of customer feedback, and respond to queries from paid customers within hours. There is literally nothing else out there like it. Check it out.

Cons

Checkvist has few drawbacks. It would be great if the mobile app was slightly more developed. However, for me this is not a deal breaker, as I use it mainly on a laptop / desktop.

Ben from inContact

Get all those tasks off your mind and let the program do the reminding for you.

It frees my mind from having to remember what i need to do next or for the day and allows me to just do the work. I can be more productive and have more time to think about the projects or work I'm involved with instead of being distracted when recalling something I forgot to do. Helps me to prioritize what is necessary to get done and those things that will always be "someday" tasks. Which without a task management program like Checkvist, I'd probably be working on--not realizing it's a waste of my time.

Pros

The overall concept is easy to get behind and the interface is easy to use. Love all the keyboard shortcuts. Being able to create lists and hierarchy tasks is excellent for task management and reviewing tasks needing to be completed during a project or goal.

Cons

on the "Due" page, not having my tasks split up (or grouped) by their lists. Not necessarily being able to minimize or expand the groups, but to see the tasks under each list since they tend to be related in theme. In a recent update, changing the date on a current due task now sends you to that task lower on Due Task page, it's a very quick fix to go back up, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Response from Trirt Software

Replied July 2017

Hello Ben, Thanks for the review. I wanted to notice that on the Due page, you can enable grouping by list in the page options (cog in the toolbar). There is also an option to enable context view, read more in this blog post: https://goo.gl/m3XXfA

Nancy from Mt Sinai

I am a long time user of Checkvist (since 2011). I use primarily the web version.

Pros

My favorite part of Checkvist is the clean interface. This is what drew me to it initially and why I keep using it. So many apps or websites these days are filled with clutter which is the exact opposite of what I need when the whole point is to simplify and stay organized! My other favorite part is the color option. I am a very visual person so having the option to add some color is also a huge deal. I have tried other similar "clean" to do list options, but they did not have the color feature so I stopped using it immediately. Please don't ever change those two things.

Cons

I use this mostly on the web so am not a heavy user of the app. I have tried it, but find it is more hassle than it is worth. I don't mind this, but making this app version a little easier to use would be a plus. I like the clean look (as I said before), but on the app it goes a little too far so I can't figure out how to do anything.

Hamman from Univesity of Alberta

From all the apps I've tried for task and project management, Checkvist is by far the best!

My productivity has increased significantly since I started using Checkvist, which is really due to how easy it has been to learn the app, so I can focus on getting stuff done

Pros

Checkvist has amazing keyboard support, is absolutely the perfect app for the divide-and-conquer approach for getting stuff done, and is choke full of useful productivity features. Especially useful is the progress counter which shows how much of a task is completed. It's also very easy to set up lists, tasks, and sub-tasks, and lets you focus on doing the actual tasks instead of learning some convoluted methodologies. The markdown support is also a star, especially for the task notes.

Cons

There is no native mobile app, even though there is a mobile version of the website. There is also no support for time tracking, which would be a very useful feature. There's lots of add-ons for the Chrome browser, but similar support for Firefox is lacking.

John from John Lowe Group

As simple working with Pen & Paper and all the benefits of a great cloud based app

I use this software daily as my "Getting Things Done" system. I keeps me organized in way that I have not been able to replicate with dozens of other productivity websites / software solutions. I have tried all the major players in the productivity space and many of the upcoming contenders.

Pros

It has a simple and natural interface that is very easy to use. The keyboard commands are very useful. Bulk operations are a snap. The site is quick. It is easy to handle a large number of complicated lists and find / retrieve what you are looking for quickly. The possible uses for this website are only limited by the users imagination.

Cons

Mobile App needs refinement so that users can have an experience similar to the "full site" version.

Alan from Clearly Convey Inc.

Excellent UX through veracious keyboard shortcut focus along with great support.

Ease of use meant I *did* (do) use it so it becomes a trusted core system unlike an app that is fun for a bit but ultimately does not get much use and so returns little value.

Pros

Keyboard shortcuts for all actions means less RSI and more speed. A great balance of functionality without bloat and also functionality hidden away until you need it with a quick two key tap. Super fast to use.

Cons

Sometimes I hanker for some more styling BUT you can style yourself with Pro custom CSS and so even this is not an issue really.

Jim from Chemicals

Industry: Chemicals

Been using CheckVist daily for 3 years. Amazing customer support! It just keeps getting better.

Better organization, improved scheduling. I now know where to find my information.

Pros

Excellent keyboard shortcuts. All items in a list are easily rearranged. The recurring due date functionality is invaluable. Web access allows me to use it at home and at work - which was a problem with my previous solution. I don't know how I lived without it.

Cons

The mobile app is not as mature as the web app. It is harder to use, and has fewer functions. But it is improving.

Ron from WhizWise Solutions Ltd.

I've tried many outliners and project management tools, and Checkvist is the best for me.

Helps me to plan projects in detail, organize thoughts, keep notes, and collaborate with others.

Pros

I like the ability to created hierarchical list with unlimited levels. I also like the due page where I can see what I have coming up, in order of priority. I also like the ability to tag lists and list items for easy searching.

Cons

I use lists for both outlining ideas, planning, and creating TODO lists. I do all these things in one list sometimes, so I would like the ability to specify that only certain sublists represent tasks. Right now everything in a list is a task in Checkvist. So I can't tell at a glance how many tasks are actually in a list; how many are done; and how many are still open. I also don't like that you can't put a due time, you can only put a day.

Mark from Scientia Ltd

Checkvist is totally AWESOME

I never lose any tasks Fantastic for triage and management of projects, people and tasks

Pros

Desktop browser functionality is unsurpassed, I've tried literally dozens of todo list tools and nothing comes close to the ease of use and power of Checkvist. Tasks and priorities are always changing and Checkvist makes this SO simple. The mobile app is rapidly evolving into a fantastic progressive web app. Support is excellent Also great for managing meetings/agendas etc

Cons

Global search index takes time to update More powerful filtering logic needs to be added particularly around tags. Needs sort by modified date

Richard from Penfield Volunteer Emergency Ambulance

I've been using it for several years and couldn't manage without it.

Pros

Need to create a checklist for anything - use Checkvist. Need access to key reference information from any computer - use Checkvist. It's simple and convenient, and always available.

Cons

I only use the basic features, and have no gripes about it. 100 characters minimum is BS. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs.

Wayland from Chime

Perfect checklist for those who care about efficiency

It fits my need of easy-to-use but hard-to-master type of software. It's pretty awesome in how efficient you can get with Checkvist.

Pros

You can do everything with just a keyboard. There is no UI element that is preventing me from accomplishing what I want in a checklist. This software is definitely perfect for a programmer, even if you're not I would definitely check it out to see if it's fits your style.

Cons

The mobile version can use a little bit of work. It doesn't currently match the elegance of the web application. That's a difficult goal to achieve though. You can still do the basics of a checklist though.

Charlie from Incremental Development, Inc.

Just the outliner productivity features that I want, and no extra visual or functional bloatware.

Daily organization in a flexible way.

Pros

Cons

The mobile app is lagging a bit behind the desktop version. There are a few paid features that I'd like to have for free (but that's hardly a complaint). There isn't an easy Android share-to-Checkvist option.

Mark from daa

An essential part of my daily working life

Pros

Cons

Improved support for mobile would be a plus. Viewing lists is excellent but updating or creating them is a little clunky. That said, as a work tool, I'd rarely ever want to create a list using my phone.

Charles from Rutgers University

One of those rare programs that has changed my entire work (and play) flow for the better

Organizes many aspects of my life, from writing papers to shopping

Pros

Very quick maneuvering with keyboard shortcuts One-stroke highlighting (6 colors) makes it easy to sort priorities Flexible repeating due dates Can send things easily to the outline from email or the web Terrific customer support -- the developers are on the case and really care about the program Enables me to organize my thoughts quickly

Cons

The Android app, while adequate, is still in beta and needs further development Due items do not notify at particular time, only day

Shaun from Industries Telecommunications

Checkvist is simply the best task management program around.

It has helped me not only organize my daily todo's, but also gives me the ability to keep lists of interesting things I like to track long term.

Pros

The unlimited hierarchical lists + all the keyboard shortcuts. No other product even comes close to being this flexible.

Cons

not sure there is anything in particular that I could say that I like least about checkvist. it solves all of my needs for a task management software.

Mark from Liquid Diamonds Inc

I looked for an online outline-based list/ thought organization tool a long time! Checkvist rocks!

Easy organization of my thoughts and reminders

Pros

Fast. Keyboard shortcuts. Multilevel. Multi-list. Rapid expand, contract, move, indent, outdent. Changes reflected instantly to all devices.

Cons

Need more formatting options. Need to be able to attach images, link externally. Mobile still kind of clunky.

Response from Trirt Software

Replied July 2017

Hello Mark, Thanks a lot for the review. I wanted to mention that it is possible to attach images and files, as well as link them. Take a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcQ7m8omOgc Thanks again, KIR

Greg from Bankwest

I use checkvist every day, I run my whole life with it.

Pros

Cons

The keyboard commands work differently between my Mac and windows at work which is a little jarring.

Jay from Thomson Reuters

I've been using Checkvist for several years and continue to use it everyday.

Pros

Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts. Having the ability to create unlimited sub-lists and easily customize with markdown and tags.

Cons

The mobile site, although features are regularly being added and continues to get better. A native iOS app would be great.

Ed from Digital Haiku

Great for sharing lists. Simple but grows with you.

Pros

Simple to get others to use. Has lots of functionality if you decide to dive deep but also works as a simple list manager.

Micha¿ from Zoo Plus

I love this app. It is one of my must-have tools for work and personal projects.

Pros

Keyboard driven, simplicity, markdown syntax support, infinite depth of tree, focus on selected sub-trees, API and many more.

Cons

Currently, there is no real mobile app. It should also work better when internet connection is unstable. I can not think about any other serious problems.

Wenliang from Qualcomm

love this website

productivity. it has greatly improved my efficiency to another level.

Pros

keyboard friendly. that is what I need most to focus on thinking. It also automatically backup to my dropbox which save lots of my time to backup.

Cons

access from phone browser is not stable. I need to login again after a couple days. Also they really need to do some marketing. I have used almost all the similar products but only recently come across checkvist.

Shekhar from IIT, Madras

Checkvist really help in increasing the productivity.

My productivity has increased. I am able to focus much more. It has very simple environment, so I dont get distracted. It helps me organize and tell me what I should focus on next. Great tool.

Pros

Checkvist really help in increasing the productivity. The various functionality and the shortcuts really make Checkvist shine out of the lot of many todo list websites available today. It has very simple interface, nothing fancy which takes space of your screen and due to this it feels very raw which is really good for me.

Cons

It took me sometime to get accustomed to use the shortcuts. So, there is a learning curve but if you want something great, you have to spend some time in learning it. So, it is not a cons but still leaves a bit of improvement space for checkvist.

Jason from Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)

Well/cleanly designed, feature rich, intuitive and efficient UI.

Helps me organize important information, track projects, and even creative writing and DMing for RPGs.

Pros

It lets me get the ideas in my head down quickly and without frustration and organized effectively so that when I review it I can find what I need quickly and easily, even after I have collected a lot of information.

Cons

The mobile app is in development and not as feature rich, BUT the dev has consistently improved it.

Matthew from Professional Golf Travel

I really enjoy using this product. It seems to work well for basic communication and organization.

It keeps me really well organized.

Pros

It's just clean, simple, and straight-forward. It just works really well for outlining -- far better than MS Word or Google Docs, so I wish it had been around when I was in law school.

Cons

It logs out quite frequently. The mobile features are not the best... I think they are working on this, though. It would be nice if it works seamlessly, for example like Google Keep.

Sam from Computer Software

Checkvist is my go to for projects and to do lists

It lets me look at projects the way I think about them. Not just a bunch of to do lists, but one project list that captures all the things that need to be done in an easy to organize format and interface.

Pros

I couldn't find another online tool that would let me create to do lists in an outline format. Having the ability to put children inside of an item was critical to me chosing Checkvist. Keyboard shortcuts are also awesome. I work in a terminal a lot so I'm used to just using a keyboard to get around. Saves a ton of time from jumping between mouse and keyboard.

Cons

The mobile interface isn't great. I would love a stand-alone app for checkvist (developed by checkvist instead of a random third party).

Amos from Sidewalk Technologies

Give fan of the features and keyboard shortcuts!

Pros

The ability to easily move and nest tasks, the keyboard shortcuts and the prioritization features. They're all great.

Cons

I'd like to be able to put attachments in notes and.... as you know... the mobile app is a good start, but lacks parity with the web.

Steven from Effective Media

My go to outliner

I got organized the way I wanted: with a simple, textbased system instead of heavy, slow big software that 's too expensive.

Pros

- very natural use (shortcuts, movements, ...) - fast! - looks simple but houses a boatload of functionality - custom css to make it look the way you like it

Andrey from JetBrains

Using it every day!

It improves my work life balance and helps to sort out my work tasks.

Pros

Great usability. Clean design, a lot of features, everything that I wanted has been already implemented!

Evgeniy from MKA(http://mka.mos.ru/)

Mouseless. Easy to use. Simple but powerful.

I made a goal for myself to find some tools what will help me to be productive every day. I chose checkvist. I'm staying more productive than ever.

Pros

Shortcuts. They are great. Simple to use. Many ways to organize. Due feature. I love it. Can use email to add tasks.

Cons

Mobile version. I like mobile web-app (don't need AppStore to use and stuff like that). But it hard to use it on mobile when you need to organize something.

Jordan from Brigham Young University

Checkvist helps me organize all of my thoughts in one place and keep them super organized.

Pros

It is so simple to use, especially with the markdown features. Having unlimited lists and sub lists also makes it easy for me to give details to my thoughts and projects.

Cons

I wish there was a better way to organize things visually (colors, pictures). It can just be a lot to look at if it is just tons of words on a screen.

A simple, straightforward checklisting program

Pros

I used this program for a large freelance client to keep track of our tasks, and it was super-simple and straightforward. Not hard to learn or for non-technical people to use, but with enough features to help stronger users do more.

Cons

Very little to dislike. I guess more features would be fine, but it's nice to have it so simple and easy to use.

Benjamin from Locally

I love it!

I get a huge productivity boost.

Pros

The best part of this app is all of the keyboard shortcuts. I am able to do everything I need without touching the mouse.

Cons

Design of the UX should be responsive. I want to be able to customize it but some of the markup and existing styles are unpredictable. For example, the header uses a tag.

Manish Chandra Reddy from UT - Austin

AWESOME!!!

Very fast, clean, organized placement of my thoughts and information.

Pros

IT IS JUST EXCELLENT! The semi-VIM like control is easy to adapt and the best for pure keyboard users. Also, the UI isn't laggy/unresponsive at any time at all. It is always handy, even managing the biggest of the lists. The coloring is quick and awesome. Further, the UI is clean without any clutter and help always within reach for newbies. All other task managers I have used have prompted with clutter and useless graphics.

Tim from Schooldoc.be

I came from a "simpler" outliner, but wanted some more bells an whistles. I found them in Checkvist.

Pros

* keyboard shortcuts for each and every function * lots of features * fast! * ease of use * possible to send mails which end up in the app

Cons

* no native (ios) app, so no native notifications etc. * personal reason: difficult for me to apply the gtd workflow while keeping the overview.

Daniel from The Iron Yard

I loved this app!!

Pros

The flexibility, to use your own CSS is GREAT! As a coder, I think this will be a GREAT way to take notes while coding.

Cons

I wish they had a Mac App, it's only online, I think they could stand to do very well at adaption if they had a Mac App.

Mary-Dan from Nova Scotia House of Assembly

Checkvist makes it easy to think in an organized way -- and it's open source!

Pros

The text-based functionality is so useful, so much faster than messing around with a mouse when I'm trying to get my work done.

Response from Trirt Software

Replied July 2017

Thanks for the review! A short correction - Checkvist is not open source, it has a powerful free plan :)

Kevin from University of Wisconsin

I've really enjoyed this as an alternative to workflowy

Proeductivity, ability to store and retrieve notes.

Pros

The keyboard shortcuts, which allow you to control Checkvist without the mouse. I also like the ability to create multiple outlines.

Cons

A slightly clunky-appearing interface. I would like the ability to theme the interface and sync with Dropbox.