• Pros

• "Super easy to use, not trying to complicate it with too many bells and whistles. Love how it easily translates to invoicing too."

• "Its extremely user friendly and easy to use. The mobile app is similar is in ease and I love that they work so well together."

• "Great software which is very easy to use. I like the fact that you can see hours in details and populate reports."

• Cons

• "– The design works, but is a bit dated, – I'd love the ability to track time on my watch, but their Apple Watch app has been discontinued, – I don't find the iOS app very useful."

• "The set up at first was a bit confusing when adding employees. Once we got that resolved it was a simple platform to use and is great for tracking employee time."

• "Pricing could be an issue, however you can use the free trial and check if it fits your business needs before paying"

Browse Harvest Reviews

Bart from Accurat

Invoicing made easy

We started using Harvest years ago with my previous company and it was our go-to solution with our new company. No questions asked. It just works and that is why I would recommend it to everyone looking for a simple solution.

Pros

It just works. Creating an offer, turning it into an invoice, setting everything up... it just works easy. In contrast with many software you can use for invoicing, Harvest doesn't try to do it all, it just keeps things simple. Probably too simple at times, but I never ran into any issues as we have straightforward product & services lines to add to our invoices.

Cons

The fact that the time tracking is included and cannot be ignored as easily as the optional planning tool (that they sell separately) was a small frustration at first. Afterwards, I just tended to directly surf to the Invoices overview and avoid the timetracking part all together. For some it is probably thé selling feature as time tracking looks very easy, but our company doens't keep track of detailed time tracking so we never used that part thoroughly.

Reasons for Choosing Harvest

We tested teamleader, but it was too featureful. Interesting as it could have been, we didn't want to switch our complete workflow to match that of Teamleader so we continued looking for a tool that was good at invoicing. Period. Harvest was that tool.

Randall from Randall Smith Law Office

Industry: Law Practice

Great for time and billing; hard to integrate with accounting

Ease of timekeeping and billing has improved. Integration with the rest of my accounting system has become harder.

Pros

I started using it because I did not find the timekeeping functions of Quickbooks easy enough to use. On that point, Harvest is much better--it is excellent at keeping track of time. In addition, Harvest makes it quite easy to bill clients for time and to follow up with repeated billings if needed.

Cons

I'll mention two things. First, the method of dealing with retainers needs some serious work to be useful for lawyers. If I have an outstanding invoice and a client sends me a retainer, I cannot have payment toward the invoice taken out of the retainer without a fairly convoluted process. Second, it is hard to integrate with Quickbooks. I need Quickbooks (or I suppose, something similar) to keep track of all my financial records. But when I am using Harvest for timekeeping and billing, I wind up making many of the entries twice.

Reasons for Choosing Harvest

Price was a factor. Mostly it was the well-designed interface and ease of use.

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

Timekeeping and editing invoices was awkward.

Teresa from Spark

Easy, no frills time tracker

I used Harvest to log billable hours as a freelance design consultant being contracted by a company to participate in a project for about 6 weeks. Very easy to use, really liked being able to log my hours retroactively and getting to export a detailed report of the project logs.

Pros

It was very easy to use, zero learning curve. I like how you can input time in several ways (either retroactively or start a timer to track time as your doing the task)

Cons

There is nothing I can really say I did not like about this software. Although I was a user, logging time on someone else's account, so I have no idea of the cost of implementing it.

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

I did start my time tracking by keeping a spreadsheet of my own reports, and kept it throughout the project in order to double-check my billable hours at the end. Harvest was a lot easier to use, but you might need to do some calculations, for which something like Sheets can be useful.

I don't admin Harvest. I only enter time into Harvest. I don't like Harvest.

I personally get no benefits from this software. I'm not a fan.

Pros

So overall I'm not a fan. That said, documenting expenses is the best I've ever seen in Harvest. It's really well done and simple. Nice and clean, get your photos, get your monies and go. Big fan. That is where my love affair ends with this app. From an administrative point, maybe there are incredible advantages over other offerings. The world may have never experienced such a revolutionary piece of software and I, in turn, am a simpleton; stuck in a world of misunderstanding.

Cons

If you write a app which tracks hourly time and tries to put it into buckets for easy expensing, the time-tracking app should be simple for the multitude of non-admin users. Simply put, it's cumbersome and annoying.... and I say that because someone is going to take stronger language less seriously. Forget the fact that you have to enter in time _Daily_. When I say daily, I don't mean that you click on the day, you do the thing and save. I mean that it shows you one day per page at a time. No calendar to quickly go through a week, no monthly review where you can quickly fill in gaps. One page == one day. You can bring stuff over from the last-entered day, but the hours aren't filled in... just the buckets. This leads to an incredibly slow, painful, and frankly uninteresting experience. For a bunch of users who want to do their job instead of fiddling around with tracking how long they've done their job, asking them to use Harvest is basically asking them to make none of their time billable unless threatened with homelessness. It's incredibly painful to use. To be sure, I'm not a fan of time-tracking apps anyway. I akin them to asking your employees to lie to you and giving them a form in which to do it... but Harvest makes the fun of lying to your employer the low-light of your day. It's not fair.

Samantha from ANREV

Industry: Research

Great recurring maintenance invoices, payment reminders, keeping things simple.

Great and easy to use! Support was very friendly too. But to be frank, doesn't proactively solve the issues for me!

Pros

Very simple, straight forward. Can make estimates, invoices, recurring invoices, reminders, payment notes. That's all most of us really need.

Cons

Lacks a number of customizable features. A few features were obviously hardcoded in, and don't provide much flexiblity. There are workarounds, and I guess its simplicity makes up for it. Emails are only mobile width, doesn't look so visually appealing. App doesn't work on my Pixel 3XL. Crashes on Invoice page, and thereafter crashes whenever I open. Not usable. Reported issue, but not yet fixed after about 2 weeks.

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

Too many mistakes using Excel. This simplifies my workflow quite a bit.

Mathew from Voice & Reason

The gold standard for timekeeping

We've used harvest in the past and moved away to other products in the name of trying to fine one software suite that does it all: timekeeping, project management, chat, resource management, etc. Inevitably, we end up coming back to Harvest (alongside basecamp and slack) because it keeps things simple and does its job extremely well.

Pros

Exceptionally easy to use. Intuitive interface design that's obviously been user tested and refined. Every button and feature is exactly where you'd expect it to be.

Cons

This software does one thing really well – timekeeping. We've tried using solutions that try to do more and have gone back to Harvest because there's nothing we don't like about it.

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

Zoho was an attempt to get multiple solutions within one product. All of the features where there, but we found that the interface was not as refined and managing the tool itself started to take hours per week.

Ken from sotodesign

Truly the best time tracker/invoice management solution I've ever used

I use Harvest to track hours on projects and invoice for time spent. I've also used the estimating tool with great success. I also accept online payments through Harvest and Stripe.

Pros

Number 1: great value for the money. So much capability in one product, for a very low monthly fee. Number 2: They are constantly adding new features, but not half-baked ones. I get the impression the the product and engineering teams are very good at what they do.

Cons

Could use more customizing of expenses and taxes - I'd like to be able to add fees to invoices that are not taxes - like markups for Stripe fees.

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

Tick was much more expensive and did less. Invoicing was more difficult and less customizable. That was years ago and they've likely upgraded but I never regretted choosing Harvest.

Jake from Fertile Minds

Track your Time and Expenses from Anywhere

Overall Harvest has been a great tool to keep my staff hours in check and to monitor staff utilization. It does provide some basic forecasting which has been nice to have as well.

Pros

You can track your time and expenses from literally anywhere with relative ease. Harvest provides: Desktop apps for Windows and Mac, browser extensions, and mobile apps for Android/iOS.

Cons

There are few small things here and there which don't impact the performance of the product but would be nice to have. For example you can create and send estimates but you cannot convert estimates into invoices. Also, some reports can be very long and they can't be filtered.

Reasons for Choosing Harvest

This product was already in place when I assumed ownership of the company and we have stuck with it as the users happy with it.

Jonathan from PostPost LLC

Harvest is an Essential Tool for Creative Freelancers

I've tried numerous other invoicing tools but none compare to the stability, quality, and reliability of Harvest. For the money you just can't beat it.

Pros

Harvest makes it super easy to track time and expenses, invoice clients, and collect payments via Stripe or ACH.

Cons

Because it is such a stable piece of software, they are very slow to add new features, and certain areas of the user interface feel dated. That being said, it is rock solid, fast, and extremely reliable.

Reasons for Choosing Harvest

Harvest is dependable and has features that out-perform the competition in just about every aspect.

Anissa from Impact Virtual Solutions

Industry: Graphic Design

Harvest is Amazing!

Harvest makes my business EASY. I do love being able to set limits on projects and getting emails when those limits are near.

Pros

I really enjoy using harvest because I do have a team of subcontractors who I need to keep reports of their time. Harvest makes it easy to report time used and set limits on projects.

Cons

I would love it if I could set up monthly recurring projects by date and not just month to month. Sometimes I have a retainer client that starts in the middle of the month and the monthly recurring feature resets at the end of the month, not when it's been 30 days.

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

I like the limits that I can set for projects. Toggl doesn't have this feature.

Lisa from The Bookkeeping Studio

Clean, Simple to Use, Good Invoicing features. Features for Fixed-fee billing not the best.

We absolutely loved Harvest and could not recommend it highly enough. However, with the change to limit phone support, plus the software's limitations in working with fixed fee pricing (which our industry is moving rapidly to), we're unfortunately in the process of looking for a new time-tracking app.

Pros

1) Clean, simple, easy to use interface for daily time tracking. 2) Ability to monitor team's time real-time 3) Ability to track real-time billable Revenue 4) Invoicing features 5) inexpensive

Cons

1) No real-time phone support. Originally, Harvest had real-time phone support, but a while back they (suddenly) changed their phone support from real-time to only scheduled appointments. We've often found that support appointments are not usually available until a while later in the same day, or often the next day, which has been difficult because there is no way to get quicker phone support if needed. Appointment blocks are limited to 15 minute, and in our experience, once 15 minutes is up, the rep will say they have to go because the appointment is over, even if the issue has not been resolved yet. 2) Unfortunately, we've found that so far, Harvest's features have not been keeping up well with the industry's transition to fixed-fee pricing. Though the did add fixed-fee features (thank you!), unfortunately, we found that they did not really work well for tracking fixed-fee projects: - There is currently no way in Harvest to have recurring, monthly fixed-fee projects (so that you can track time/expenses against these.) - There is currently no way in Harvest to track actual time/costs against fixed-fee project fees - There is currently no way in Harvest to add a one-time fixed-price charge for a project (i.e. one day of Bookkeeping at $ amount.) Support told me that the only way to do this is to add these charges as expenses. However, expenses are not included in the revenue reports that we rely on to run the practice, because they are seen as expenses and not revenue.

Reasons for Choosing Harvest

Tsheets interface cumbersome and not intuitive.

Bill from ComputAssist

Industry: Information Services

Time and expense tracking and billing

I used Harvest stand-alone when I started my business. A few years ago I took my accounting online with Xero so I explored many of the time-tracking apps that integrate with it. After less than a year, and countless other apps, I returned to Harvest because I've found nothing easier. I create invoice drafts in Harvest and copy them to Xero for final billing. It's simple, fast, goes deeper if you need it, and is reasonably priced.

Pros

Harvest fits my business model. I'm a consultant who also does installs, repairs, and remote support. It's simple to set up Harvest with your client list, hourly rates, products and services. Once set up, tracking time and expenses is even simpler! They have a web interface and a mobile app. The mobile app duplicates most of the web features and is very handy when on-site - a couple taps selects the client and starts the clock. Creating invoices is a matter of running an Uninvoiced report, clicking the customer you want to invoice, and editing the items, descriptions, prices and tax rates. Then save the invoice and either email it directly to the recipient or save as PDF to print or attach later. Harvest can connect to Trello, Quickbooks, Xero, Stripe, PayPal, and about 80 other online applications, and has a programming API if you are so inclined. It only took me an evening to write a script to insert all my Harvest-tracked time into my CRM app's notes.

Cons

Everything is tracked as a project. To enter time, you first have to create a project to track it. Even if you are doing a one-off visit, you cannot track that hour or two until you have created a new project for that customer. It would be helpful to be able to log billable time directly to a customer.

Alex from Total Online Blueprint

A Great, Lightweight App Which Does What We Need It To

Overall a very positive experience; the software is very simple to use and does what we need it to (allows us to invoice, view income reports and send client reminders on payments, as well as allow them to pay via card online, from anywhere in the world and for the funds to be filtered into our business bank account. Some limitations persist and I wish the company would listen to the community on such items as the lack of statements facility. However, they do offer a large number of external software integrations for proposals, contracts etc. which beefs out the utility and functionality of the software.

Pros

Harvest is a super-simple app which manages all our client payments and invoicing/reminders for our clients and integrates with Stripe for a seamless payment process. We use it every day and can bill clients in $ or other currencies easily, and provide them downloadable pdf's, payment portals and other functionality (using external app integrations) with ease.

Cons

The in-built feature set is quite limited. To get integration with contract software, proposal software etc. you need further subscriptions with other companies. It would be ideal if it was all built-in. Also, it's missing a huge feature which should be standard on all invoicing apps - The ability to send automated client statements. At any time we may have 5-20 invoices outstanding for some client accounts and, even after 4 years using Harvest we have to manually send links and individual invoice reminders. It's by far the biggest downside of the software and is a big limitation.

Haja from GingerTea Tech

Elegant, Clean and Valuable Time Tracking App - A Staple Product

This is a very clean, simple appearing, a non-intrusive app which is actually a very solid and powerful platform. It has the potential to be an indispensable part of modern project-based businesses. Well, the answer is, this basic time tracking app solves several problems all at once. First of all, Harvest is available on all your devices and computers so, whenever you need to track time...voila there it is. It is super easy to set up and use, zero learning curve needed. It's nicely organized by client, so each project gets placed where it belongs. It has idle time detection to prevent inaccuracies. There are several options for arranging your time-based fees and you can even include your billable expenses. The information is not trapped in Harvest platform so you can import and export clients, invoices and other info to your other systems easily. You can easily send email invoices directly from your time-keeping records and accept payments online with integrations. In addition to budgeting time, you can also track expenses for each project in order to stay on track, both financially and time management-wise. This software plus Forecast gives you the potential to be increasingly accurate with time estimates for your clients. Once you take into account all of the software integrations and the API, you really have a valuable central point to manage your business. It helps that this software was developed by a team that had to solve these problems themselves. The company also seems to have good stewardship of the business in social justice and community arenas. I have not yet used the mobile app or API but I am definitely a fan of Harvest!

Pros

-Intuitive user interface -Cute motivational quotes and illustrations -Great native desktop experience on the Mac -Wonderful integrations with other software, including Harvest's Forecast, Xero accounting and Stripe -A multi-functional API and mobile apps (IOS and Android)!

Cons

- No automated sales tax - or integration with automated sales tax providers (Avalara, Tax Jar, etc.) on invoices -Team pricing could be better and also would be great if there were a tier between free - two projects and unlimited projects. -No offline functionality on the desktop

Fantastic time-tracking tool

Pros

Especially after a recent update, I like how easy the timer is to work with. Simply select the project I'm working on and start the timer. While I'm working it stays on in the background. If I get called away from my desk for some reason, and I forget to stop the timer, it recognizes the inactivity and checks in with me upon return. That's super handy - if I was off the computer on a call related to the project, for example, one button click and it will continue timing including the 'inactive' time. If I got called off to a different project, I can easily put the minutes/hours of 'inactive' time on the appropriate project. If I got called away by something totally unrelated to work, I can toss the accumulated 'inactive' time and either keep working or stop the clock when I get back. It also sends an email reminder after several hours of inactive time - like when I quit working for the day and forget to clock out. No more guessing!

Cons

There is sometimes a disconnect between the desktop app and the website. I can't remember why but once in a while I'll have to check on the site while the app is running (like to read notes associated with a project) and there were some discrepancies. They always sorted themselves out, but for a couple minutes it was confusing. It's not a huge issue so long as you remember to give the site time update with the app.

Time tracking made easy and simple.

Easy tracking for freelancing and agency workflow. Amazingly simple!

Pros

It's really easy to use and set up. I've been using it for a few years now and it always works great. Harvest has a web platform and also a mobile app, both of them work great with no issues so far. The mobile app is very well done and has most of the features you can find on the desktop version. It has a great feature that notifies you by email when you've forgotten your timer on for a long period of time. It also notices when you're not at the computer and asks you if want to add the time that you were away or subtracted from the current count. You can edit previous counts and you can group them based on different categories you set up. It also works great with Asana. You can start a timer directly from within Asana, linking the Asana task to the Harvest timmer. It works very well.

Cons

I had two things to mention here that are not bugs or issues, just things that my current workflow would require for a smoother process. 1. I've been using Harvest with two teams / companies and I have to switch back and forth between their accounts which is a bit cumbersome. 2. I wish you could filter more precisely the weekly / monthly overview. I can't separate task and groups as much as I need, in order to get a better understanding of how much time has been tracked for a specific category.

Good for time tracking purposes

Overall I found the software very straightforward and easily navigable - was able to use it for its intended purpose, and found that it made time tracking a lot more efficient and simple.

Pros

I used Harvest mainly for time tracking purposes at a past place of employment, and found the interface to be very easy to navigate. We were easily able to integrate corresponding tasks to the specified amount of time (ours was tracked on a minute by minute basis, so 0.7, 0.22, 0.59 etc). I also found it extremely handy to be able to have a stopwatch feature to track time when there are longer tasks (such as a meeting or a project that will take several hours in one stretch).

Cons

As mentioned above, though I found the stopwatch feature to be very efficient, it's not extremely practical for any role where you're touching multiple different projects at any given time (ex. an account or project manager). For a designer, this feature would be perfect. It would be interesting to see whether the same concept COULD be applied to a project management type job. Additionally, I found that it is extremely easy to forget to actually STOP the stopwatch feature, so more often than not I found myself with a task that ran over 500 minutes long because I forgot to manually adjust the feature. It may be helpful to implement some sort of feature that has a pop-up effect after 30mins or an hour, asking the user if they're still working on the specific task (like they do with some movie streaming services).

Response from Harvest

Replied July 2020

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I'll take note of your feature suggestions as our product team is consistently assessing how the product can improve. I definitely can see how a popup timer would be useful. Thank you for your trust in Harvest!

Amanda from Body Wisdom Healing Group

Harvest is my indispensable freelancing software

Customer support is amazing. I really love this software, and will continue to use it indefinitely.

Pros

There is so much to love about Harvest! First, it works, really really well. You set up your project - and YES projects can have sub-projects - and you start your timer. As long as you can remember to start and stop your timer, this is perfect. Every two weeks, or every month, when you need to send invoices, all you do is "create an invoice" and the software auto-generates the invoice, in as much or little detail as you'd like, taking all your time and translating that into a professional invoice. I love the graphics that help track how much money you are making. AND you can even input what you are spending versus what you are charging, in order to ensure that you are actually charging enough to cover all your costs. There is a great place to input expenses and receipts -- this software does it all, for a quite affordable rate.

Cons

The most challenging thing about this software is that you MUST set it up correctly. Take the time at the beginning to get your rates set, ensure that what is a 'billed' and a 'not billed' expense are correct. At the beginning, I was often accidentally putting time into 'not-billed' tasks, when it was just my mistake in setting up my categories.

PJ from Agence Fox

Best Time-Tracker Out There

Overall, I am greatly satisfied with Harvest. It gets the task done and is also helpful in making the team more efficient. Tracking our time was effortless.

Pros

Harvest is straightforward and easy to use. First-time users find it easy to learn navigating the platform. It can also be seamlessly integrated to project management programs such as ClickUp. It also has a built-in Invoicing feature for bout hours and expenses. Another awesome feature is being able to set budgets for every project, so you can have a quick overview of how much you have spent and can still spend on a project.

Cons

What I liked the least about Harvest is that once a person or a project has logged hours, the only option you have is to archive them, and not delete them. It seems to just clutter the workspace. One improvement that can be done is having a prompt whenever the tracker has been on for more than 5 hours, just to check if the timer has been left on, because sometimes we still forget to turn off the tracker.

Leah from Tulco Labs

Harvest is great for time tracking and billing within small/mid-size companies

I've used Harvest as an employee to track my time. Additionally, I have done data analysis on exported information from the platform to predict time requirements and resource allocation across a mid-sized workplace.

Pros

Harvest is an ideal time tracking and billing platform for small- to mid-size companies. Individuals track their time in the desired increments, and then can sub-track their time to particular projects or disciplines. For instance, if tracking time for Client A, time can be segmented into "Client A > Project Review," "Client A > Web Development," "Client A > Business Development," etc. It can flex to accommodate multiple professional disciplines, and provides tallies / time breakouts for each user. On the backend, fairly rich data can be gathered from the platform to analyze time distribution and analysis.

Cons

It requires time to setup and administrate multiple users, especially if it's one person doing this job. Additionally, to do it well, it requires a thoughtful plan to provide the necessary taxonomy of clients / projects / billing to be used across the organization. It is not as robust as other big, enterprise-caliber time tracking platforms (like Salesforce), but for an organization <50 users, it's a great solution.

Harvest - perfect for time tracking on a project by project basis

Overall the experience with Harvest has been mediocre. It is a great way to track time, report hours to clients and bill appropriately. There are almost too many options making it a little difficult to first getting things set up. It is a pain to use if you have little random projects that come up frequently because they then have to be separately added to Harvest as their own job by the project manager.

Pros

Harvest is perfect for tracking time, especially on a project by project basis. It is great for marketing agencies that work under retainer and have to report time spent on specific projects. It is pretty simple to track hours and view hours tracked by teammates and be able to report directly to the client. It is an easy way for managers to track other employees. The invoice feature is great if you use it.

Cons

It almost has TOO many features. Ease of use is great for employees who are simply logging hours, but is very complex and sometimes difficult for the project managers to keep up with. It would be nice if others could add projects (and possibly have to have manager approval) and not have to be added solely by the project managers. It would also be nice to have more of a warning prior to renewing membership. In my instance, we no longer needed to utilize the software, but randomly received a charge on our credit card without prior notification that the program was up for renewal.

Mike from Alavita Mobile Business Solutions

Harvest ypur time accurately and simply

We like the Orange and White - I know its petty, but in a world of grey-ed out infinitesimally small typeface UIs, Harvest is blunt and to-the-point. After all, who needs Team Members making errors with your TIME!

Pros

The most important factor is Ease of Use and Harvest shines, the second is its integration with 80 of the top of the line of today's work tools. There are tons of features - we use Forecast and find it invaluable for Team Leaders to scope out their week's work-load and delegate. Thirdly, their customer support is brilliant - no muss, no fuss. The added bonus is that adjusting time at task once the timer has been closed is easy, and did I mention they send a friendly reminder when you've left a timer running? Oh Yes - we do that sometimes too!

Cons

It's hard to think of a really thorny issue - these guys have worked everything together slowly over the years. It's a a balanced appraoch - the Forecast Add-On is slowly expanding and deepening and there will no doubt be features added that a user would like, for example more zoom in and out to break down to week and day. That is about it really - this is solid Dev-Product, not some rushed-out-to-get-Trials company.

Aimee from Strategic Content Marketing Consultant

Best for Simple Bookkeeping and Time Tracking

I literally couldn't run my business without Harvest. It makes bookkeeping so easy, even in two currencies.

Pros

Harvest is affordable, and easy to use. As a freelancer, I find it fantastically simple to track time and expenses, bill, follow up on invoices and receive payment. Harvest integrates with Stripe and PayPal, so clients can pay online easily. I literally run my business on this software, and it's so intuitive. Best of all, as an American living in Canada with clients in both countries, I can bill and accept payments in both USD and CAD. Harvest is one of the few solutions that lets me do that in a single account.

Cons

I wish there were more reports. It would AMAZING if Harvest offered P&L reports for simple businesses like mine, but it doesn't. Really, improved ability to produce any reports my accountant can use at tax time would be fabulous. Unfortunately, you have to tie into overpriced Quickbooks or another accounting package to do this. For simple freelancers like me, this just seems silly. I'm hoping the reporting features improve, since Harvest gets better every year overall.

Dennis from Webiteers

The best time tracking software out there

With Harvest we track more hours than we did with other software. It takes the hassle out of the process. Nobody likes to track his of her hours in complicated and time consuming ways and Harvest solves that problem!

Pros

It does what it does and it does it best! Time tracking on projects has never been so easy for our organisation. We have used multiple time trackers, but were never pleased with the wat we neede to register the hours we make for our clients. The mac, windows and iOS/Android apps work great. New projects are available instantly and starting / pausing the time tracker is wonderfully done. Managing the projects, budgets and tasks is really easy and if you like, you can integrate it with Harvest Forecast and plan your team ahead.

Cons

Harvest lacks decent support of monthly retainer 'projects'. It's not a show stopper for us, but it makes us do manual checks of the hours we make for our clients. I would love Harvest Forecast to be part of Harvest by default instead of the invoicing functionalities, since we use other software for that.

Nicole from Noonday Creative

Harvest Review

Harvest has made my life so much simpler and cut down on the time I spend invoicing clients immensely. It has made my graphic and web design business a lot more efficient

Pros

Prior to using Harvest, I tried several different options for time tracking and invoicing clients. All of which didn't quite fit my needs for my graphic and web design business. Harvest has been the perfect fit for me. It allows me to organize items by client and individual projects under that client. I can easily start and stop timers to track my time on projects and then quickly create invoices to bill clients. You can run reports to track how your business is doing on invoices for the month, quarter or year. You can also track expenses. It has the capability to integrate into quickbooks as well.

Cons

I can't think of anything that I don't like about this software really. If I absolutely had to name something, setting up information/logo for invoices in the very beginning was a little tricky but easily solved by reading tutorial.

Josh from Get Above The Fold

Excellent price & functionality was exactly what I needed

My experience with harvest was exceptional. The only reason I turned it off (recently) was because I wanted an all-in-one solution and went to Quickbooks - that eliminated some cost and centralized everything. I also no longer had the need for time tracking, which was a huge value and reason for me using Harvest.

Pros

Easy to use. Very intuitive and was easy to track my time with clients & then to issue invoices. It was reliable, I never had any problems with it not working as expected. It integrated with Quickbooks nicely, which was a huge plus.

Cons

I didn't love the cost to add additional users. In general, the cost for 1 person was quite low, but it felt expensive to then add on additional users.

Jessica from Northwest Advocacy Foundation

We LOVE Harvest

Pros

Harvest is incredibly easy to use, and doesn't try to be more than it is. It is perfect for tracking time (the iPhone app is great, too, as it allows you to start and stop time on the go) and expenses, and conducting billing. It also has a surprisingly great reporting section, which is helpful for understanding your own productivity and opportunities. Harvest is also wonderfully customizable to fit your office's individual needs.

Cons

This is so nitpicky, but that is because Harvest is so great, and has so little to improve upon: I wish there were multiple pre-set messages you can send. The current system allows for a thank you message and a "balance due" message. Our office, like many law firms, I imagine, has two balance due messages: money due for work performed, and money due to maintain a required trust deposit. Currently we have to manually change this. Not at all a deal breaker, but it would be a very welcome update in the future.

Carol from Aduo

Industry: Biotechnology

pretty simple to use, however a few weird features

Pros

i like how there's a free version because it is not necessary to always purchase the paid version unless you are managing a large group of people. it is simple to track time and add hours. to set up categories for your hours is very simple too. the tutorials are helpful & customer support answers fairly quickly.

Cons

sometimes when you bill an invoice in between two months, it doesn't always count your hours from the previous month, hence you are only billing in the current month. for example, if the week starts in september but ends in october that sunday, then you will be billed for that october, hence not billing for september. i found a way around it, but it is rather annoying.

Response from Harvest

Replied October 2020

Thank you for your review Carol, we appreciate your trust in Harvest! I'm sorry you ran into some invoicing trouble though. I will flag this to our Product team as they're constantly reviewing and prioritizing new feedback and requests to improve Harvest in the future. Thank you again!

Amanda from Independent

A freelancer's best friend

No more tracking time on projects through notebooks and spreadsheets, or losing track of outstanding invoices. It's all there, easily accessible from a single online platform. For my solo enterprise, it's less than $15/month, which is an incredible bargain.

Pros

- So easy to do everything: time tracking, invoicing, expenses. The whole platform is intuitive and easily navigable. - Flexible time tracking: either setting a timer or entering into a timesheet-like interface. - The system can send invoice reminders on your behalf, so it's not like you personally bugging your contact. - You get to choose -- through checkboxes -- how detailed you want your invoices to be. - Invoices are globally configurable, so you can set up your template with logo, recurring info, etc. - At a glance, you can see how much you have invoiced/received over the year/last year/etc. and which invoices are outstanding. - Every end-of-week you get a report that shows how you spent your tracked time.

Cons

I haven't encountered anything to dislike about this platform, though I haven't yet used all of its features.

Chris from Tomodomo

The only invoicing tool I'd consider

It made visualising our project budgets and margins dramatically easier, so we know where our time and money are going.

Pros

I've used Harvest for years and I can't imagine switching to another tool. It's by far the easiest, best tool for agencies who work on multiple projects with multiple budgets. Being able to visualise your margins and where your team is spending their time is an absolute game changer. The invoices are attractive and always send reliable. The integrated payment options are intuitive and simple.

Cons

It's a bit more expensive than other tools but if you're using its full functionality it's absolutely worth it. I'd like to see more flexibility around budgeting and retainers. It has definitely gotten better with new support for fixed-fee budgets, but I would really like to see recurring retainers handled better. We currently create a new project every month for our clients on retainer, which works but is a little tedious.

Amy from Wiro Agency

Great software for the administrator, lacking some functionality for the users

Pros

This is great for ease of use and for keeping time tracking central. Although the UI needs work, the UX is very good and makes a cumbersome, laborious task such as time tracking easy and quick. Whereas in other softwares you have to go hunt for the task to track and find the project listing, go to the card, then track - Harvest just has these options all in one panel. For admins, the info collected is quantified in a very visual and excellent way allowing us to track time and project expenses.

Cons

For those not assigned as administrators, you can't see the time estimates for tasks - only projects. This is a massive issue as it means that for one project, I don't know as a designer how much time is allowed for design vs development - only the whole project. As a contractor I work for as a separate client, they also use harvest. I bill at the end of projects and also based on monthly enhancements based on hourly cost. It is extremely hard as a user (not admin) to see and get a summary of this time without having to manually add it all up. Massive issue

Jennifer from SecretaryZone

Don't fear, Harvest is here!

Harvest saves me so much time by tracking my work hours. Invoicing is a breeze. My clients have an easy time paying invoices through a couple of clicks of buttons. Harvest offers many integrated payment options that I have found to fill my company's needs and were quick to set up. The simplicity of the layout of the website makes everything so simple.

Pros

Harvest tracks my time with the click of a button. I select the project and hit go. Then I stop the timer when complete. Invoices are made at the end of the month very quickly. It takes less than a minute to create and send each invoice to my clients. Never once have I had an issue with the site being down, or any other inconveniences. The Chrome extension helps a lot.

Cons

I have little use for most of the reports, however, they may be geared towards larger companies. Otherwise, this software is great.

Response from Harvest

Replied July 2020

Thank you for your trust in Harvest and for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate it!

Mark from TEKsystems

Manage your work flow within your time

I have found it super easy to use. The data record of reminders is all safe. The pricing is handy by two methods i.e. by its free or subscription deals. I am so comfortable after using it on our phones because it just needs a few clicks plus we can also make expenses through mobile app. Overall, we found it very useful as it is easy to use for every kind of business so we will recommend it you as well. Both the client and team would be saved from extra expenses due to tracker system. We found this platform, a strengthening tool for professionals.

Pros

It is a time tracking software which was combined with Twitter to facilitate its users to track time with their tweets as well. Today it is globally used in many meetings and business by many clients for work procedures. We have found it easy to handle despite the working platform.

Cons

I found that there was lack of connection between the website and app. It was pretty difficult to constantly have a check on the app. We found this the app did not function properly for tasks assignment to the workers. Moreover it is going well and giving great performance.

Khuram from Fifth Tribe

Harvest is awesome!

Overall, Harvest is incredible. It's one of the best SaaS products out there. For time-tracking specifically, we found it better than other platforms such as Toggl. The user experience is super simple and it's got great reporting.

Pros

Harvest takes minutes to set it up and is so user-friendly, user adoption happened incredibly quickly. It was the fastest program our team adopted compared with other solutions. Firstly, the platform is accessible through multiple devices ranging from web to desktop to browser extension to mobile app to integrations with Jira. Everyone is different and the platform adapts to almost everyone's needs. Secondly, as an admin, I can go in, add users, add projects, add tasks, classify tasks as billable or non-billable, and add a bill rate if applicable. Thirdly, the platform can set reminders and people self-manage. Each week, I get everyone's timesheets on the dot, I review them, send them back if they need more information, and focus on analyzing data instead of trying to get everyone to give me updates. I love the project view because I can see where we are spending money, where we aren't, and where we need to shift resources accordingly. It's even great for reimbursements - you just snap a photo and add can add the item via the mobile app.

Cons

As a digital agency, we don't always bill by hourly rate or fixed firm price. Some of our clients are on monthly retainers which sadly Harvest doesn't include. It's not a deal breaker for us, but it's something that would be nice to have.

April from Echo Qualitative

Industry: Market Research

Great program with a lot of features

My overall experience with Harvest is as a project manager and using it to track employees time, and set up and manage budgets for projects.

Pros

What I liked most about this software is that it has a ton of features for time keeping, budgeting, and payroll. This is one of the more comprehensive time keeping programs I have seen. It has different levels for employees and managers to log in. It is super easy for employees and contractors to log in adn out to keep accurate track of time and hours. It has budgeting functions for payroll, projects, etc. I really liked this program!

Cons

The one big negative I can say about this program is the cost. They charge per person using it and it can get pretty pricey when you have a lot of employees or contractors using it. It would be better if they offered it for a flat rate or monthly flat rate.

What a great time tracking and invoicing tool!

I really enjoyed using Harvest as the simple and easy time tracking tool it was. There were many benefits!

Pros

I used Harvest to track my project and time spent working on them, then I'd generate invoices for my clients to pay. I really enjoyed how easy it was to set up new clients and new projects

Cons

What I liked least about the product was probably the rigidity. If you had something sort of off the wall that you do for your clients, it may be interesting trying to get Harvest to work properly for you.

Jahangir from Augmedix Inc.

Smart Solution for all kinds time management, tracking & reporting.

I used to use this software tools for my team as well as for my other team from 2014 to 2017. I should appreciate Harvest team for this amazing online time management tools which are helping now millions of people to track the time including multiple features. I especially love their friendly eye-catching interface including time tracking options feature. I used to submit my all project times I had spent easily without any tension as it showing real time. Pretty amazing!

Pros

1. simple website design with eye-catching visualization for the essential option. 2. Can be integrated almost any latest software tools like Asana(I used to do this) is amazing sync 3. Reminder for time tracking and project reminder including project owner. 4. Can control and create layer like approval method

Cons

1. Very Pricy in terms of the competitors on the market 2. Need AI support to catch auto standard time frame for each project. 3. Apps crashed and lost time sometimes without an unknown error 4. Should work on popular project time analysis to make real-time auto time support

Scott from Lumen Foundry LLC

Reliable time tracking service with random quirks and no new features

Pros

Time tracking is a huge part of my life as a freelancer, so having a reliable tracker and database is critical. Harvest grew with me when I built an agency, allowing me to easily view the hours of my contractors and employees. I use the Mac app on a daily basis, then log into the web interface to get overall reports regularly. The speed of the reporting makes it easy to know how much I should be billing in a really quick manner.

Cons

The Mac app can have random hiccups that cause it to appear in random parts of the screen, and it doesn't let you do a lot of the admin work like adding new clients or projects. I've been a customer for many years, but it feels like the Harvest team has no innovative ideas to expand the service beyond its current scope.

Harvest Time Tracker

We only use harvest to track time and do not really use any other feature of integration or creating invoices or anything. I am not sure we are getting the best value of the software but I don't know if it is capable of doing what we need.

Pros

The platform is very simple to use and track time manually or with a timer. I like that there is an app so that you can virtually log your time from anywhere. It is a nice platform to keep a log of time year over year for analysis or profitability.

Cons

I do not like that you cannot add new jobs from the app. Also, you cannot easily add someone as a project manager to projects once they exist from the project listing. You have to manually go into each specific project and manually check mark project admin and it takes a lot of time. There should be a way to easily do this from somewhere.

Seamus from Servasport

Super to tracking and charging my time

Pros

I loved how I could track my time spent on tasks in a live timer mode or I could retrofit the time accordingly based on an educated guess of a task I completed. I could easily extract my time logs to justify the costs of completing particular tasks to a client, which is massively important when it comes to software development as costs can often grown substantially.

Cons

On occasion I would have started the timer to track my work and I may have been disrupted by an important call or a task. The timer would continue to track the time which is expected, however, I have seen times whereby the tracking went over the weekend. A prompt after a particular time period such as hour intervals to check if you still need to live track should be included.

Heather from Reed and Associates

Harvest for Daily Time Tracking

I love being able to track my time between clients and projects with the click of a button. There's no watching the clock or writing down my time, so I feel more focused on my work than my time. Being able to leave notes allows me to see how my time was being used and make any necessary changes if need be.

Pros

The start timer button makes it so much easier to track time without having to write down start and stop times or guess how long I've been working on a project. It's my favorite feature! Being able to copy my recent timesheet to a new day makes it easy to get the day started, because I know my day to day is already there when I need it.

Cons

Occasionally there are little bugs, as with any software. For example, sometimes my timer starts at -0:01, but it's easy to adjust.

Time Tracking Made Easy - And Works With Asana!

Awesome! Would recommend to anyone who is looking for a time tracking tool. If you use Asana, it's gold.

Pros

Two things make me love it. 1) It works with Asana. The integration allows me to easily log time with tasks and keeps my notes and tasks clean. Keeps me from leaving out details when I go back to check. 2) Running reports to track my team's time is extremely easy. Just click a button and you can start tracking your time spent on a project. Use it at my agency!

Cons

Occasionally checking on back time would get wonky, but was easy enough to edit with date checks. Just need to confirm when things are billable vs non-billable to make sure it shows in reports right. Not really an issue with the software, more something that end users need to be aware of.

Easy Time Tracking and Management Software that Creates a Powerful Partner to Forecast

Highly efficient time tracking and management tool that does exactly what you need it to.

Pros

Time tracking is easy and efficient, and works anywhere you need it to (multiple browsers, phone, browser extensions, etc). Tracking while working on tasks is simple with the built-in timer, and checking/managing your time is as simple as clicking on the browser extension. The platform is highly user-friendly and only gets more useful/powerful if notes by employees are mandatory in project tracking. Looking at time spent on tasks or projects is easy. This tool is only made more powerful by its partner platform, Forecast. Integrating the two is a smart move.

Cons

I wish there was a way to pop a reminder for employees to leave notes about the work they completed. These notes are wildly helpful in managing projects with multiple moving parts or long timelines.

Harvest is tried and true.

Pros

I've been using Harvest since the day I made the leap to full-time self-employment, and I don't think I would have been able to continue working as I do without it. It's a great resource for time-keeping, invoicing, and monitoring overall project timeline. It's integrations make client billing and tax time a breeze.

Cons

Some functionality and customization for how you bill or log hours, against client $ deposits, is tricky. It does not do a great job of accounting for paid deposits for projects. Instead, I have to remember to manually subtract the amount that was deposited to a project, against the first batch of hours on the first invoice. That is a clunky way of accomplishing such a task.

Stuart from Applebum

Great for tracking time if you're working on a client project

Pros

I use this tool every day to track my time when I'm doing anything for a client. The browser extension makes it quick and easy to select the project and record the hours against it. When you log in you can see how much time you've spent that week / month and download reports for the client if required. The whole team uses this and it's been really easy to get everyone set up and using it.

Cons

If you make a mistake when logging time using the extension you need to log into the interface and correct it - which can be time-consuming. It's also very easy to forget to turn the timer off so you can easily log extra time. However, they do send you an email notification to remind you about this so it's relatively easy to correct.

Control your time without wasting time

In many companies there are no systems to show what time you arrive at work and what time you leave, Harvest has helped me show my bosses that I am on time and do all my work at the right time.

Pros

I love Harvest. I have used it as a freelance to know how much I have to charge my clients and show them a report. I have also used it as an employee so that the company knows that I am investing the time, when I arrive at work and at what time I leave. The software is great, the function of stopping the time automatically when the PC is inactive has helped me a lot.

Cons

I would like more details of each task that can be register. Currently you can only put a small description, it would be nice to be able to put more details.

The linchpin for my business

Pros

Harvest keeps me on time, on budget, profitable, and professional. I could not run my business without it. The price is very reasonable (I hope it stays that way!) and the support team is always fantastic. It's the one tool I use that just never has problems. With other tools and services, I lose time dealing with bugs and UI failures. But I have come to trust and rely on Harvest. And that's why I recommend it to anyone who asks.

Cons

At one time I tried to use the Mac time tracking app. I ran into synchronization issues between the 4 computers that I use regularly. I don't hold that against Harvest, and maybe it's been fixed by now. But I'm really happy with the web interface, so that's adequate for me.

Brionne from Senior Executives Association

Industry: Public Policy

Free Version Good for Freelancing

Invoices for freelance work.

Pros

I use the free version since I don't have a lot of freelance clients and it does everything I need. I like that I can just go in and create an invoice instantly, or I can track my time throughout a project when the pay is hourly (not project based) and create an invoice based on the time totals. I also like that they let you upload your personal logo and they pull it into the invoice. I think the invoice is also set up very clearly.

Cons

When you set up a project in Harvest, you are automatically the project manager and I cannot figure out how to make myself the designer and have my hours charged accordingly. I also like if you create an invoice, then have to add additional hours worked because the client asked for more edits at the end, the total time spent is not automatically updated in the invoice like it was in the first draft of the invoice and I cannot figure out how to make this happen. The software could be organized better to where you can click and edit things in-line, instead of flipping from page to page to page.

Madison from DAGMAR Marketing

Track your time with ease

I would definitely recommend Harvest to both large companies and freelancers! The company I work for does solely remote work, so Harvest keeps everyone accountable. It is easy to use, manage, and edit.

Pros

This is a great product for time tracking! I like how you can create different categories for time that way at the end of the month you can see where your time was really spent. For example, if you're working on a website, you can break down your time into categories such as site maintenance, website edits, client correspondence, etc.

Cons

When I use Harvest, I log into the site directly. I tried the app before, but there were some glitches. Either it would stop tracking when I wanted it to track, or keep tracking after I paused the timer. This could be user error, as a lot of my coworkers prefer the app, however the app wasn't for me.

Maciej from Self-employed - Designer

Best Time Tracking app

Pros

As a freelancer who bills clients based on time spent I tried several time tracking apps, but found Harvest to be the best. Here's why: – They have a very good Mac app that is being actively developed, – The overall quality of the software is high and it's very reliable, – The free tier allows you to have 2 active projects, – Good for simple time tracking of your team, – Allows you to track expenses, – Provides detailed reports, – Does one thing and it does it really well.