What are Harvest users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Harvest software through verified user reviews

• icon"This is a great product for time tracking. I like how you can create different categories for time that way at the end of the month you can see where your time was really spent."
  • icon"Harvest is super easy and helpful. I love that it integrates directly with Stripe and Toggl and all kinds of other services."
  • icon"Reporting has improved over the years. Invoice tracking is good and useful."
  • icon"Attempting to find things was rather difficult. Unless I knew the precise name, I could not find the project for which I was searching."
  • icon"Afterwards, I just tended to directly surf to the Invoices overview and avoid the timetracking part all together."

Browse all Harvest Reviews

• Have you used Harvest and would like to share your experience with others?

Tracks Time, Dimishes Trust with Employees

Ozan Emrah

Great Time Tracking Software

My overall experience is amazing. You can use timer for time tracking or you can record them later on.

Pros

It is amazing software which is easy to use and user friendly. It also integrates with project management softwares like ClickUp.

Cons

Some default short cuts interferes with other applications and it gets annoying, but you can change them.

Shannon

Truly Simple and Intuitive to Use Effectively

From day one it was intuitive and easy to use. It's a time tracking tool, so it really doesn't need to be complicated. The creators have managed to perfectly combine functionality and a straightforward interface with enough features to also make it versatile for various types of businesses and projects.

Pros

This software is part of my everyday use, and it just works 100% of the time. When you are managing various clients and tasks, the interface makes it dead simple to task-switch and start logging hours in a different or for a different client. And when it's time to assess how many hours are left to spend on a client, the analytics reporting is easy to understand and offers several great ways to manipulate the data.

Cons

There are features I don't use—mainly the expenses feature—so I cannot speak to how that works. Everything else, however, just works.

Reasons for switching to Harvest

I still use Toggl for freelance projects, so it's not a bad alternative, but the reporting and time overview aspects of those working with/under you is vastly different.

Bart

Invoicing made easy

We started using Harvest years ago with my previous company and it was our go-to solution with our new company. No questions asked. It just works and that is why I would recommend it to everyone looking for a simple solution.

Pros

It just works. Creating an offer, turning it into an invoice, setting everything up... it just works easy. In contrast with many software you can use for invoicing, Harvest doesn't try to do it all, it just keeps things simple. Probably too simple at times, but I never ran into any issues as we have straightforward product & services lines to add to our invoices.

Cons

The fact that the time tracking is included and cannot be ignored as easily as the optional planning tool (that they sell separately) was a small frustration at first. Afterwards, I just tended to directly surf to the Invoices overview and avoid the timetracking part all together. For some it is probably thé selling feature as time tracking looks very easy, but our company doens't keep track of detailed time tracking so we never used that part thoroughly.

Reasons for choosing Harvest

We tested teamleader, but it was too featureful. Interesting as it could have been, we didn't want to switch our complete workflow to match that of Teamleader so we continued looking for a tool that was good at invoicing. Period. Harvest was that tool.

Brock

We Love Harvest

Harvest is great. It has LITERALLY changed the way we work and made our teams much more efficient.

Pros

It is SUPER easy to use, and our team is able to track both time and hard costs against our various jobs which makes our staffing and budgeting estimates VERY easy.

Cons

There is very little we don't like about Harvest. However, it seems to be set up for service companies who are billing clients. It would be nice to not have to "trick it" some times to meet our corporate needs. Also, it would be nice to have finer levels of control on user permissions. I would like to give team members the ability to go in and see the labor costs and external costs against the job without giving them access to see what each persons billable rate is. (Since we use this in a corporate capacity, these billable rates are tied directly to salary information which - obviously - we don't want to share).

Reasons for choosing Harvest

Ease of use and the amount of training required to bring new users up to speed.

May 2022

Gather up your hours for the big Harvest

Great. We have no issues with the software

Pros

The user interface is friendly and manageable

Cons

It's very easy to use and implement in the office. Especially with new hires.

Reasons for choosing Harvest

A colleague mentioned that it worked well in their office.

Reasons for switching to Harvest

Monograph didn't work for our needs

William

Industry: Architecture & Planning

February 2022

Not great for architectural firms

For the price and use-ability - I'd recommend something else.

Pros

It does track time - and it does work with some plugins. Could be better though.

Cons

This software seems clumsy and cumbersome. Most people in our firm stumbled through it until we went to a different software.

May 2022

Big feature list for time & project tracking but pricey

Harvest does everything we need and is easy to use. However there's definitely features we don't need or use that we're paying extra for.

Pros

Lots of great features and the UI makes Harvest nice to use. It's easy to pull time reports for specific resources and projects.

Cons

It's definitely expensive. We are exploring other, more cost-effective solutions in what is now a crowded marketplace.

Reasons for choosing Harvest

It's easy to use and the time tracking and reporting fits our use case very well.

Alisa

Easy time tracking online

Pros

My company recently changed project management software for one without a built-in timer. The feature was essential, so I went looking for a solution. Harvest fit the bill exactly. When I continue an existing timer, it starts the same timer up again, instead of starting a new one "grouped" with it, like most time tracking software - that quickly becomes cluttered and hard to manage.

Cons

I would like a rounding feature, up to the nearest 5 or 6 minutes, or more options for rounding in general.

Reasons for switching to Harvest

Toggl makes a ton of useless timers every time I restart an existing timer. Harvest doesn't - it's clean and easy to manage.

Lindsay

Time tracking made easy

I contract for many different companies and need an accurate time tracking software to log hours on multiple projects throughout the day. Harvest accomplishes that and more with a simple start/stop timer next to each project line item. The best part is that you can go back and edit your time in case you left it running or needed to log some unaccounted for hours. Would definitely recommend!

Pros

This software is extremely user friendly and easy to deploy. Upon activating my account, I was up and tracking time within minutes. Every aspect was very easy to understand.

Cons

I have not found a flaw as of yet, but if I were to suggest anything it would be to have a simple widget in the corner of my screen in which I can easily see where I'm at on logging time without having to minimize or move a window out of the way.

Reasons for switching to Harvest

Ease of use and instant time tracking availability.

Armin

March 2022

Simple and powerful

Pros

The ease of use and the benefits and reports you get from this tool are amazing. It's very easy for me to track time of my direct reports, analyze capacity and plan based on the data I get.

Cons

Setting up projects and clients could be easier/less complex but once set up, it works like a charm

Brent

May 2022

Does one thing well - simplicity

Meh - wish we didn't need to use it, would prefer the timetracking to happen in our project management software (teamwork) - but that doesn't support timesheets & has very poor high-level visibility reporting.

Pros

Timesheets workflow, high-level time spent/remaining visibility

Cons

Doesn't support sub-tasks, loosely integrated with our project management software (Teamwork)

Reasons for switching to Harvest

Needed timesheets & better high-level visibility (just switched the time tracking portion)

Amy

Agency Time Tracking

Pros

For many agencies, time tracking is critical. Although we don't bill per hour, it is still extremely important that we track our time so we know how much time is being dedicated on each client and where that effort is going. It allows us to stay efficient while also addressing any issues with specific clients before they get out of hand.

Cons

There are limited categories which presents a bit of a challenge to our agency. We really need to be able to drill down on where time is being spent and the lack of category options makes that more difficult because we have to rely on comments and then rectify that data at the end of the month.

Jonathan

Harvest is an Essential Tool for Creative Freelancers

I've tried numerous other invoicing tools but none compare to the stability, quality, and reliability of Harvest. For the money you just can't beat it.

Pros

Harvest makes it super easy to track time and expenses, invoice clients, and collect payments via Stripe or ACH.

Cons

Because it is such a stable piece of software, they are very slow to add new features, and certain areas of the user interface feel dated. That being said, it is rock solid, fast, and extremely reliable.

Reasons for choosing Harvest

Harvest is dependable and has features that out-perform the competition in just about every aspect.

Great Tool for Tracking Time & Resources

Positive - they were a great solution for a company at our size at the time.

Pros

We used Harvest at our company for multiple years - it provides a great option for the team to track time across multiple projects and ensure project management and billing have hours for billable reference. It's cost is accessible to many organizations and the functionality works as expected.

Cons

Their native reporting didn't meet our needs so it required us to pipe this data into our data warehouse to then create our own visualizations, insights, dashboards, BI systems, etc. We began to outgrow Harvest due to additional needs outside of Harvest's core offering. Our financials were also in a different system which didn't allow us to utilize the billing features to their full potential

Cost

Karyn

Tracks Time, Dimishes Trust with Employees

I personally did not solve any business problems using Harvest, nor did I see any benefit to me as an employee. The only benefit I could see to the employer was being able to play Big Brother by using Harvest to monitor every second of my day. This software contributes to a corporate culture of distrust.

Pros

The only thing good I can say that I like about Harvest is that it is pretty easy to use. You simply search the client or project name, indicate whether it is a billable or non-billable task and then set the timer. There is also a space to elaborate on the specific details of the task being done.

Cons

What I like the least about this software is that the tracking is too granular. Employees that are subject to using it feel like Big Brother is watching and that the employer doesn't trust them. It also doesn't allow for any explanation of extenuating circumstances. For example, if an employee is tracking within Harvest and is expected to track in real time, there is no way to explain a computer glitch or if a system crashes in the middle of a task and the employee has to re-do the task from the beginning. In addition, if you are a billable employee, you are literally tethered to your computer all day, as you must "Harvest" every minute of your day if the employer wants an accurate read of activity. It is tedious and demeaning.

Anissa

Industry: Graphic Design

Harvest is Amazing!

Harvest makes my business EASY. I do love being able to set limits on projects and getting emails when those limits are near.

Pros

I really enjoy using harvest because I do have a team of subcontractors who I need to keep reports of their time. Harvest makes it easy to report time used and set limits on projects.

Cons

I would love it if I could set up monthly recurring projects by date and not just month to month. Sometimes I have a retainer client that starts in the middle of the month and the monthly recurring feature resets at the end of the month, not when it's been 30 days.

Reasons for switching to Harvest

I like the limits that I can set for projects. Toggl doesn't have this feature.

Brian

A Nice Product That Became Too Expensive For Me To Justify

Overall, I really enjoyed it. I felt some pains when I moved away from it, but I've actually found a really nice combination of products that does the same thing.

Pros

A very easy-to-use app that lets you track time and clients. End-of-month invoicing is as simple as a few button clicks. Overall, I really like the program.

Cons

The price just wasn't worth it for me anymore. I found I could no longer justify the cost based on free offerings out there in the wild.

Katelyn

Industry: Public Relations and Communications

February 2022

Harvest is a great way to keep prices on track!

Easy usage and provides great insight to the overall company and individual time allotment.

Pros

The chrome extension was an excellent addition for easy time tracking. Usage for billing purposes was also excellent as we were able to see how we were dedicating our time to each project piece as well as billed vs non-billed work.

Cons

Sometimes it would automatically choose a project type for you that was completely off base but easy to adjust

April 2022

Harvest has been our company's time-tracking tool for years now and we will keep using it.

I use Harvest every day and I am happy with it. I am able to quickly review what my team is doing time-wise, how they manage their project budgets etc. I love the Budget alerts. When set up properly these alerts give us heads up before we have racked extra hours which we have no client agreement for. The integrations make it easy to mark time with ticket tracking! Yay! I would recommend Harvest as I have used it for over 5 years now.

Pros

Easy to use with integrations like Asana and Zendesk. Provides a fast way to draft Estimates and send them for review. Easy way to draw time reports with a good level of granularity.

Cons

No way to be reminded that you forgot to switch off the timer. I basically do not use it because of that. Wish there was a search filter by logged time description.

José Luis

December 2021

First time user

It has been a nice experience but I'd like to keep on using it to find more and more features.

Pros

It's definitely a nice looking tool and with a very clean UI that will allow anyone to get it right the first time. As a user I find very convient that I can download a mobile app and track time while I'm out of the office. For what I understand this tool has integrations with Parallax and Slack and that's why my Employer decided to switch to it.

Cons

So far I haven't found anything annoying about Harvest. Something I'm still trying to figure out is how to duplicate time entries from past days. This is useful as one may have several engagements to report to.

Reasons for switching to Harvest

My company made the change as I think this one is easier to manage and integrate

May 2022

Track your time effectively with Harvest

I now use Harvest daily to track my time on multiple tasks and projects and it barely takes me out of my flow. Then using the mobile app to stop and start when needed for accurate time tracking.

Pros

Harvest is so easy to use on any platform and integrate with other project management tools really well.

Cons

For our use, I haven’t found any issues with Harvest. Assuming you set up your projects correctly it works like a dream.

Reasons for choosing Harvest

Harvest integrated well with Asana our project tracker, without the need to full set up projects into Harvest itself.

Samantha

Industry: Research

Great recurring maintenance invoices, payment reminders, keeping things simple.

Great and easy to use! Support was very friendly too. But to be frank, doesn't proactively solve the issues for me!

Pros

Very simple, straight forward. Can make estimates, invoices, recurring invoices, reminders, payment notes. That's all most of us really need.

Cons

Lacks a number of customizable features. A few features were obviously hardcoded in, and don't provide much flexiblity. There are workarounds, and I guess its simplicity makes up for it. Emails are only mobile width, doesn't look so visually appealing. App doesn't work on my Pixel 3XL. Crashes on Invoice page, and thereafter crashes whenever I open. Not usable. Reported issue, but not yet fixed after about 2 weeks.

Reasons for switching to Harvest

Too many mistakes using Excel. This simplifies my workflow quite a bit.

Kurt

June 2022

Harvest is a Perfect Solution for Time Tracking and Billing

Everyone in the agency from me, the owner, to all of our team members love using Harvest. It's so easy to use, between the desktop version to the mobile app. It's been a lifesaver to make keeping track of time and budgets for our marketing agency.

Pros

I started my marketing agency in 1999. I used manual, paper solutions for time tracking for the first few years. After much research we found Workamajig in 2004 to switch to an online solution. It served its purpose for many years but everyone struggled with it and found it not user friendly at all. After many attempts we found Harvest in 2018. I played with it for a few days at the end of a month then ripped the bandaid and switched to it on the 1st of a month. It was SO user-friendly everyone loved it out the gate and we have never looked back. It's so great for time tracking and quick insight into projects and budget status at the client, project and task level. I love it!

Cons

It's very hard to complain about Harvest. I really love it. I do wish it had the ability to set budgets for staff by clients/projects so we can see how booked up our team is and better manage their time allocation. There is a second-party project Harvest syncs with to try to do this, but it does not work the way we needed it to so we dropped it after a brief trial.

Reasons for switching to Harvest

We wanted a more user-friendly version and Harvest nailed it.

Will

Industry: Graphic Design

Timetracking and Invoicing Made Easy

In general, I have been very happy with this product. When we originally were researching time tracking and invoicing software this one rose to the surface and it has remained one of the leaders in this space. Having said that, it's not cheap, particularly if you need multiple people on it, so there are definitely options out there that cost less and or are free if that is what you are looking for. It does also provide some integration with Quickbooks that others likely don't have.

Pros

Working in a creative field, I am a person who detests tracking time and invoicing. It takes me out of flow and into a space that doesn't really foster creative ideas or spark the imagination. Harvest makes the process about as painless as possible (let's be real, tracking time will never be entirely painless) and frees me up to focus on what I do and how I best deliver value to my clients and team. For clients that prefer to pay by credit card, it allows you to deliver the invoice via a web portal with the ability to pay via PayPal with your cc.

Cons

I still feel that the project setup scenarios could be simplified and / or streamlined. I've used Harvest for over 10 years and they have consistently added features and addressed certain gray areas that the software couldn't really account for, but I do think that if they were rebuilding the platform knowing what they know now, they would make it even more straightforward and simple from that standpoint.

Reasons for choosing Harvest

Harvest was simply the best and cleanest designed and most intuitive and user friendly of all of the options that we researched with all the necessary features but not a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles that would be meaningless to most individuals.

Harvest