Karbon

Karbon Reviews

RATING:

• icon"Product is very easy to use and makes keeping client communications together really easy which in turn helps make us as efficient as possible."
  • icon"Ease of use, easy to delegate and integrate with mail. Easy to follow up on where minor task are up to."
  • icon"The best thing about Karbon is that it integrates with your email."
  • icon"If someone does not use it fully, it does not work as well."
  • icon"Staff became confused with assigning and allocating work tags."
  • icon"Only downside is the search function on emails, currently there is no ability to filter by a client or individual however we have been informed this is coming soon."

Browse all Karbon Reviews

• Have you used Karbon and would like to share your experience with others?

Mariel

The Superman-Batman-Crocodile Dundee-Indiana Jones-Dog Whisperer of Team Communication and Project Mgmt Tool

Have you ever wanted ONE SPOT to check email, delegate task, manage projects and customers? Karbon is IT. NOthing else compares to this robust, all inclusive system. Forget Twist and Slack, and your gmail or outlook, zendesk and all the rest. This program, while made for the accounting industry, is the perfect solution for any industry, and even a single individual could use it, but it shines with many users. No more multiple things to check and manage, it's all in one place. From Triage, you empty your inbox for email and @ tags from within the system and assign emails to other team members, create work from emails, and all correspondence tracks back to both contacts and pieces of work, so nothing is ever lost or hard to search. This is the most intelligent productivity solution available; I've tried many to disappointing results and now will stay with Karbon and not continue to look further. You can see work for the whole business, for yourself, and separately for your team. You can assign work to others, you can even assign tasks to clients and people outside your team, so they have their own checklist, which has comments and attachments - no more 10k emails! You can break down work into sections with different checklists and assign each task it's own team member and due date. You can drag and drop tasks to different dates. You can have templates for work to make creating work easy. You can make client tasks in these templates and also schedule repeating work. I can't go on, there are too many things that are amazing about this program. Do yourself a favor and try it out. I put it off for 8 months and after 2 days was hooked. 5 months later, it just keeps getting better and easier as we get more proficient using the program to its full potential. AMAZING! Nothing less than Amazing. Nothing slips through the cracks with Karbon.

Pros

Everything about Karbon.

Cons

They have both of these on their Fall 2017 roadmap: 1) time clock for job/client/employee time tracking (which is the only other external program we now use and can't wait to only use Karbon for everything); 2) Canned Responses (template emails plug & play). Coming soon, and I can deal with these cons because of everything else has saved so much time.

Alissa

KarbonApp for the Growing Firm

Wonderful and I can't wait to continue to gain further best practice and utilize all the components around capacity planning etc.

Pros

We implemented Karbon only a short time ago and I am already seeing significant impact on my time through the ease of delegation of specific tasks and the ownership of those tasks to be able to check provide oversite. My staff has had a similar response and although it has been a learning curve we all see the potential and benefits.

Cons

There are a few items around being able to apply templates after work is created (currently you cannot do this only at creation). It also takes the server five minutes or so to show a contact that you add which is a pain when setting up new client work. We had asked to have contact emails imported and although they were provided for some reason they did not get imported (that combined with the delay was a bit of a pain). A few other items are more about learning how to get the best use out of all so I would argue are not dislikes but more learning curves as it changes the way you work significantly with the implementation of triage. Overall the team at Karbon have been great in answering any questions and give a lot of opportunity to show you best practice even when you choose the self implementation option. I do hope they create more integrations with Xero Accounting Software as they do with QBO.

Reasons for choosing Karbon

Karbon's Triage tool was a big selling point and really just seemed very much next GEN. Jet Pack Work Flow had great functionality but was lacking on some of the tools that Karbon has built in. It was a tough decision though as some of the team completing the demo's really liked Jet Pack.

Reasons for switching to Karbon

We used a variety of tools (Slack, XPM and email) and Karbon allowed us to consolidate much of this which eased time and transparency. My staff really did not like the functionality of XPM other than as a list of deadlines. Karbon is much more than that.

October 2022

Karbon -

Karbon has made work life easier. I am no longer looking at 4 trello boards, a white board, a daily to do list. I just run thru Karbon.

Pros

Love the ease of My Week and its integration with Google Calendar. I simply triage all my emails - allocated to my week if needed follow up. Then slot them into Google Calendar to allocate time. My phone even reminds me of scheduled tasks coming up. The templates for work are so easy to use. The client requests are user friendly for the clients and us. All emails are allocated to work or the client. No more scrolling thru emails to find that particular document. Its all in the work. Essential with monthly or quarterly BAS. Or even if a client purchases a new car you simply add that email to their next years tax return!

Cons

Would love signing to be part of client requests. Its actually essential!Would also like documents to be added to the client rather than work as sometimes you don't have a work item.

More robust

Reasons for switching to Karbon

I needed an accountant friendly program to organise me!

Dr Joy

November 2022

It's a good software choice but a hard learning curve

It's a viable option but not the best choice for my practice

Pros

Email tracking and assigning to clients and their monthly projects

Cons

The workflow was harder to use and the learning curve much longer than I wanted to spend

Reasons for switching to Karbon

Needed something more advance to scale my business for the future

Jennie

November 2022

Karbon is for serious practice owners who want to scale their firm

100% optimal. Its a solid product used by the best accounting firms globally. It is THE ONLY product on the market at the time of this writing that will action emails into workflows. If you dislike emails, then Karbon will help you delegate PDQ!

Pros

It keeps our team optimized and as a practice owner I know exactly what's happening and more importantly what's not happening!

Cons

Updating mass workflows for a new template - but honestly, each customer is so unique that it makes sense not to fiddle with the workflows on such a mass level

Reasons for choosing Karbon

Email, Email, Email to Action!

Reasons for switching to Karbon

I was failing at being an organized practice owner and my workflows were starting to impact customer experience.

Better but not Best

Karbon support has always been great. Higher ups are not accessible. While they always solicit feedback, it never seems to get heard. They seem to be chasing markets and customers right now and not focusing on their existing clients and how they can help them be more productive.

Pros

Karbon has revolutionized Workflow for accountants. Truly taken it to a new level. It does so many things so well that it is hard to not take those features for granted until you compare it to other similar software. Here are some exceptional features While not perfect, the email integration is great Creating and managing projects is relatively easy and painless Client task management is excellent and extremely useful Automations is work is great team collaboration is very good especially at the task level Mostly great utilization of screen realestate.

Cons

Todo list is frustrating for me. Being a Franklin Covey person, i want more control over my todo list. I cant export my todo list either which would help mitigate this issue. Not enough control over tasks. Task list can be overwhelming and thus not useful No proactive feedback about assigned tasks or notes. IF I assign someone a task, email or note, I want to know when they have done the work and if they have not done the work. I want automatic feedback on this. I want more shortcut icons. Some steps are really "clicky" I wish there was much better app integration. This is very limited. On a task list, if a task does not apply to a client I want to mark it NA. Not delete it or mark it complete with a comment. I need more flexibility on labeling clients. For example I want a job to be flagged as extended and not just have a temporary status of completed.

Reasons for choosing Karbon

With all my frustrations with how good the product could be, it is still much better than the rest as far as I can tell.

Reasons for switching to Karbon

Not so much a switch. DocIt is still my DMS but Karbon is now my workflow manager

Cenk

The best tool for accountants, with great support.

Pros

It is designed for accountants to both manage their clients and the team collaboration effectively and efficiently. Either as the owner, partner of the business managing the team or as a team member managing the client projects on a day to day basis, this tool does a great job. I can't think of not having Karbon HQ. The Karbon HQ team is always providing new updates and on-going trainings to increase the usage efficiency of its users.

Cons

Can't say there is anything I don't like. The UX has a classical design and may be updated to have a fresher look and feel but that is a minor enhancement.

Reasons for choosing Karbon

Its Triage feature is great and keeps it very simple. The Work and ToDo menus, the easiness of assigning emails as tasks, monitoring the team load, etc... It is done for accountants.

Reasons for switching to Karbon

I needed client management and collaboration software specifically designed for accountants. Karbon HQ does that.

Alan

Great product

Karbon is a great app and has become an integral part of our business.

Pros

Cons

Would be great if there was integration with a client portal system.

Reasons for choosing Karbon

Ease of use and greater fit with our business needs at the time.

Reasons for switching to Karbon

Iris wasn't cloud based and was very expensive

Karbon is excellent

Experience with Karbon has been great so far.

Pros

Integrates well with many apps, including Zapier. Like being able to switch between kanban and list view for work overview. Staff are responsive and helpful when needed. Lots of useful and timely webinars are also provided.

Cons

I would prefer to have a telephone helpdesk available, but have grown used to the online help and it's not that big of a deal now.

Reasons for choosing Karbon

Better integration with other apps; kanban view of work; triage functionality

Reasons for switching to Karbon

I liked the triage functionality in Karbon.

Olivia

Awesome Practice Management Software for Accountants and Bookkeepers

Excellent and thrilling

Pros

Karbon is right at the top - best software available - permanently developing and adding features - super support

Cons

there is nothing I don't like - Karbon is spot on perfect

Reasons for choosing Karbon

Karbon seemed the most modern and foreword thinking - and indeed it is

KarbonHQ - Our Why

Very good. The customer service is excellent, the updates are really regular - the forward focus is good. Overall, happy.

Pros

Our original investigation into programs like Karbon were based on our massive email issue - clients would email the account manager or the Director (myself) and then we would spend amazing amounts of time cc'ing the right people. We were looking for a program whereby the email trail for a client was easily accessible to all relevant staff. Karbon has sufficient security to ensure its not open sharing, but allowed us to much better service client needs across our growing team.

Cons

The Kanban/Task Management didn't work well for our company and the way we operate - I think it might work well for many accounting firms in vertical stacks, but we operate on a tier based level and it made using the task management system in Karbon a complex nightmare. Staff became confused with assigning and allocating work tags. We use a different program for project/task management - but it synchronises broadly with Karbon - and we intergrated Karbon with T-Sheets to take care of time monitoring.

Triage

Email Management - Triage is GOLD

Tom

My preference of the Practice Management Tools available

Overall I find Karbon a pleasure to work with and has definitely made my life as a practice manager a whole lot simpler. It is continually getting better and it seems they listen to their users and make changes on what they hear which to me is the best thing a software company can do. Look forward to optimising Karbon more for our practice and definitely see it as a key software in view of the growth we are aiming to acheive.

Pros

It's very simple to get your head around in the main and comes with a good set of instructions. Love the task list and kanban boards for work management and as a practice manager, it makes my life much easier to be able to see all the work that is happening from one system. It also works wonders with repeating work items where you are able to assign e-mails or notes to multiple timelines and even if the work doesn't start for another year you have got all the information right there at your fingertips. The client tasks are an awesome feature too which have decreased our turnaround time on work considerably. You can start a job and be 100% sure that you have got all the information required right there as all the initial tasks have been checked off. The other side we have found very useful is the collaboration. With a team based in multiple areas this is so key and we find Karbon becomes that one source of truth which tells us exactly what is happening.

Cons

We have found it harder to get older members of the team onto the software and potentially could have a very simple addon for programs such as outlook and gmail which would let users use the system they're used of but still push the information into Karbon correctly. There has also been issues a few times with integration to Office 365 which when the whole office relies on the system can be a big hit on productivity. The other thing I probably would change if possible is the client portal and make it much more of a place where clients can actually log in and see the progress of their work and get an idea on exactly what is being sorted for them.

Reasons for choosing Karbon

For me it was ease of implementation and what I felt would work best for the staff in our company. Senta came the closest to competition but we found the KanBan board on Karbon a winner and see Karbon as the company with the most potential going forward.

Reasons for switching to Karbon

Karbon was a much cleaner software for me with the ability to totally take away the need of managing work, emails and day to day tasks.

Lisa

Communication reduces staff frustration and is the key to excellent customer service!

Exceptional. Karbon continually makes improvements to their products. They look for suggestions from the users and are happy to accommodate finding a solution for a specialized request.

Pros

Our staff enjoys the Triage function and visibility of communication most about Karbon. With having a team approach to most of our client work, it's important for everyone to know details from client interactions. This has helped us to be more efficient, batching questions and keeping us from contacting the client repeatedly for the same thing. It has essentially helped us provide better customer service while making our team more efficient.

Cons

I would like to have more options of labeling clients, helping to narrow down a specific group of clients to target for an email message or reporting purposes. Filter work by work title instead of work type.

Reasons for choosing Karbon

Triage function. We also felt like Karbon was specialized more towards Project Management for the firm as a whole. Canopy was specialized in income tax work.

Reasons for switching to Karbon

Triage function, being able to capture emails to contact timelines to convert into work if necessary.

Marni

Why I picked KarbonHQ

This software has given us the visibility to see all of the work that we have. Before this we were all siloed in our inboxes, now we have shared communication and collaboration on work.

Pros

I like the fact that this software gives me visibility on Work that is not complete, by person, by budget, by client, by type of work. The flexibility of seeing reporting is great.

Cons

The ability to search emails needs improvement. You can do it, however it is more effective to use Outlook.

Reasons for choosing Karbon

It incorporated the best of all of the products. It gave us Email, Work (Project) Management, Repeating Tasks and Schedules, Client email requests and template with Auto Reminders

Reasons for switching to Karbon

We needed an environment that was easily shared, a place to download all of the tasks that individuals were doing and make notes so that we had written procedures, we wanted the visibility on all of the work that was due without having to go look at individual files.

My favorite piece of software I've ever used.

We save time and gain efficiency and clarity with Karbon. The integration with Practice Ignition has been great as well.

Pros

Easy to set up and use. Great tool for collaboration with colleagues and clients. One central location for all work, communication, and demographic data.

Cons

There are always things that could be improved in any software, but I don't feel like there are currently any holes in Karbon, just things that could be better. The "to-do" and "insights" section are two that I feel could be improved to increase their usefulness.

Reasons for choosing Karbon

Karbon had more functionality.

Reasons for switching to Karbon

The relevant email content pulled us in to learn more about the software. Karbon seemed more user friendly and more geared specifically toward accountants than our previous software.

Elizabeth

Huge Potential to help me support the accountants in my firm

Pros

My Motto for every day is "How can I help you today" and Karbon is my best asset For helping others. When the accountants in our office need a report or need to know if something has been done and they are too busy to check I can filter All Work in KARBON and bring it down to the file they are looking for in a very short time. I can have their answer back to them quickly and in a manner, they can use. I can check for each client what tasks are overdue and through notes on the file keep all the involved managers and partners aware of timing for their involvement in the file. When you learn to use the filters correctly the information you need is easily accessed and up to the minute. Karbon and I work as a team to send emails, keep notes, report findings, and make sure that "no client ever falls through the cracks - and calls to say "you forgot this - now I have to pay a penalty..."

Cons

Until you learn that the secret key to Karbon is FILTER - FILTER - FILTER then it is almost too big a program and under-utilized by a number of people. One of our senior partners summed it up like this "Imagine the only way you have to communicate to the office is through the KANBAN view in KARBON" this view teaches you to make notes, share emails, FILTER All Work and generally get as upclose to the file as you can so all the participants can work on any file in the company confidently knowing that they are working with the latest information. The only true Con is the magnitude of the learning curve. But with the seminars and help articles, you can feel supported and know you are not alone. There are many people who can help you out. There are WAY more pros than cons - really.