• Pros

• "I like the flexibility, the ease of use and the beauty of any output. These guys really care for high quality software."

• "This is the only software I have found that allows the user to go from a mind map to gantt. This was my bare minimum requirement because this aligns perfectly to my project workflow."

• "The best part about this software is being able to create charts and graphs to print and show to clients. "

• Cons

• "The iOS app is optimized for iPhone and therefore not perfect on iPad. But if you use the side-multitasking-mode (whatever this called) you emulate an iPhone on the iPad and then it works fine."

• "It is very functional and thus can get a bit complex and overwhelming from time to time."

• "The main problem is that it's Mac-only. Being able to export files for Microsoft Project is nice but it's not 100% compatible so I frequently end being the only user and maintainer of the plans. "

Browse Merlin Project Reviews

Kerushan from Blacfox

Best project manager for Mac

For our business, as a consulting firm, we depend on Merlin Project and we are happy with our choice in PM software, considering that we have a wealth of options out there.

Dario from do{main} MX

The absolute best Project Planning software

As I said before, what I like the best about Merlin Project is that it allows me to build a plan almost as the request happens, and it's always a great process because building the plan always helps you visualize its length and complexity. Many other MS Project clones have the main features but none have the usability and experience that Merlin Project has. This is the best software I use regularly on my Mac.

Pros

Being a user of planning software since the 90s (Super Project Plus) and having used Microsoft Project, Primavera and a number of other tools like Asana, I've grown used to Merlin Project so bad that I can't get myself to use any other tool for this. Not only the looks are great, the features are thorough and it's possible to quickly sketch a project almost as it's being thought of, using keyboard shortcuts, and also create complex chronograms with assigned resources and budgets. Keeping control of projects is also very easy as it permits to move around tasks when everything starts not to happen as planned :)

Cons

Response from ProjectWizards

Replied March 2020

Thanks for the flowers! I agree it is Mac only, but this is on the other side one of the reason why it is that good. Oh, did you tried the iOS version on an iPad. It is at least as good.

January 2010

John from American Informatics, Inc.

January 2010

A simple but very powerful alternative

Since Merlin reads and writes MS Project files, I think it is a viable alternative for almost any project manager for almost any project. For additional information see our website (http://www.am-info.biz/Project%20Management/Merlin/merlin.html or http://www.merlin2.net)

Pros

I believe that Merlin is the best project management software available today. It has a very clean and intuitive interface but it is also very feature rich. We have been so impressed with its performance that not only do we use it but we also offer Merlin training and consulting in North America.

Cons

Merlin does not run on the Windows platform. Users in a Windows or mixed environment can, however, purchase the Merlin server edition which publishes project information in an html format. In this sense it is cross platform.

Gerrit from Design Express

Gantt charts at their best

Overall, Merlin Project is a very user friendly software. To me, it feels like I'm sketching out a project planning rather than calculating it. As a result, I can focus almost all of my attention to the planning itself - instead of figuring out the Gantt chart setup..

Pros

Merlin Project allows you to either type in your project's phases or drag-n-draw them directly on the Gantt chart. This way, you'll have a good overview within moments. The Resources are nicely integrated into the project, leading to a very usable Assignments view to check critical days. I mostly use the export as an image, that produces a PDF vector image. Very good quality! In my next project planning, I seek to explore the Library. Looks like a powerful feature.

Cons

The interface can be confusing, p.e.: - clicking at the Resources button at the top right of the toolbar merely shows a list of resources. If you want more (like editing them), you have to click at the top left in the Views list. - the Inspector is quite hard to figure out. I find myself browsing through it almost constantly searching for that one setting. Everything seems to be pushed into this small area, including things that, in my opinion, could have been part of the app's Preferences pane. Merlin Project introduced some very dark gray areas in the interface (the Inspector part) that I'm not so fond of. Perhaps there could be a choice between a dark and a light interface.

Response from ProjectWizards

Replied July 2018

Hi Gerrit, thank you for your review. We appreciate it. The resources well is for fast creating resources and add them to the project. All information which should be more in details are in the views, so is the resources view, the utilization view etc. In Merlin Project you find a new and better project preferences settings Inspector.

Heather from National Business Furniture

Industry: Furniture

Merlin for Project Management

I primarily use Merlin to manage our catalog production projects. These are large, lengthy projects involving many stages and individuals across multiple departments. Merlin allows me to plan and adjust easily to ensure the productions are on-time and within budget. It has all the functionality I need to set and adjust dependencies and manage workloads as a project progresses and is a great solution for project management on the Mac. The only downside is that it does not play well with PC .

Pros

Easy to learn and use, a great, affordable alternative to Microsoft Project. It has all the functionality and features I need to build project schedules and manage them from day-to-day to ensure they stay on time and on budget.

Cons

There's not much I don't like about Merlin. I'm a Mac user and needed a Mac software solution for project management, unfortunately I work with almost all PC users so not being able to share with PC users other than printing or issuing pdf versions of the schedules I develop and update constantly is a huge pain point.

June 2016

Stephen from Oracle

June 2016

They can finally sync between Mac and iPhone

I started using Merlin 3 some months ago and was eagerly waiting for the sync between projects on Mac and iPhone. Since two weeks the beta of Merlin Project 4 is available and they really nailed it. Now you have the power of one of the best PM apps on Mac (if not _the_ best) and a nice little iPhone app. I completely switched to that solution. I'll checked as well the support and they replied super fast and very helpful.

Christopher from Schernecker Property Services

Merlin Delivers on Apple platforms

I used this program to handle scheduling multiple construction crews across multiple regions in the country and found that it was very simplistic and powerful. Helped me track Macro budgets and was key in helping determine how to assign the proper labor to the right project.

Pros

This application is extremely customizable and very easy to use. It offers multiple ways to track job related tasks and budgets. The application is greatly suited for making schedule changes on the fly and updates entire project when changes are made.

Cons

I wish I could come up with a better Con, than this, but here goes... Why is this available only for Apple systems? IF this application were cross platform, or independent of operating system it would be able to compete with some of the best out there.

Fantastic, professionell, easy and quick

Very usefull and cheap, all good !

Pros

The handling and the prize - and the Layout

Cons

I don´t know exactly - and i don´t want to search for something!

The best project management software for my mobile work style.

Pros

Cons

I loved Merlin Project and would use it again any time!

November 2014

Julie from Talent Partners

November 2014

Best Mac Alternative for real Project Managers (veterans of MS Project)

It has taken me literally 2 weeks to find a viable alternative to MS Project for a MAC. After extensively researching the more visible search results: Omniplan, Wrike, AtTask, Libreproject, Openproject, harvest, etc.. I finally found Merlin--exactly the same logic as MS Project, but with a new looking UI and powerful tracking capabilities for high-level task tracking with just the right details for time variance, budget vs. actual reporting, and resource capacity planning. I'm really looking forward to continuing to use this tool--especially since I just downloaded Merlin Project (beta version). Really awesome!

October 2015

Erich from EK PM Services

October 2015

The coolest thing since sliced bread

I searched a long time for a decent project management app on OS X und eventually I found Merlin Project. This is not only a pm app, it is also a mind mapping app, a reporting app and much more! All view are configurable in any detail. It offers the widest range of pm functions wich are needed and used in actual management. And if you have a question, you will get a world class support: fast and super good!

Tomislav from Nanobit

MS Project for Mac

Ever since I switched to Mac I was looking for a viable alternative for MS Project and I finally found it in Merlin Project.

Response from ProjectWizards

Replied July 2018

Hello Tomislav, thank you for your review. Could you please tell us, what do you miss in "Ease of Use" and "Customer Support" Thanks.