• Pros

• " It is easy to use, it is very easy to download, it does not slow down your computer, it has wide use applications."

• "Its awesome powerful tool that makes my task easier, it has a lot of features that is very convenient to use since it shares familiar interface with other Microsoft products "

• "Very easy to organize and visualize all aspects of your project. It contains many functions for all kind of purposes (tasks, consumables, cost, personnel etc) and it is extremely useful"

• Cons

• "This application is very good but the license can be a bit expensive for users, perhaps for small or large companies the price may be worth it."

• "I used it in my work life and I was also using it in my personal life with my social project, but it is not an easy tool to use and is designed for large and complex projects"

• "The only aspect I think can be considered a con is you have to take some time to learn the application. once that is done it is smooth sailing."

Browse Microsoft Project Reviews

Cesar from UNIV-Politecnica Territorial de Aragua

Manager for the control and development of projects of great impact in the company

Based on the experience of the use of the tool, the organizational capacity is more efficient and effective in each task, as well as the security and the status of the results offered by each member of the project. Another element to highlight is communications and how this allows improving the flow of information, thus improving the willingness of managers to take corrective action at the best times.

Pros

Of the positive things that Microsoft Project & Portfolio Management has, is that you can use a driver prioritization module to develop workshops in which executives openly discuss the issue importance of each business controller and thus be able to prioritize the strategies according to the established objectives. that's why it's an advantage to be able to prioritize commercial drivers at any level within the organizational hierarchy Another element to highlight is the tool's management capabilities, which helps to capture the resource requirements at the beginning of the project's life cycle and all the programmed activities, providing visibility, certainty and assertive predictions about the demand future and the best thing is that it can be accessed from any device available to the members of the company.

Cons

One of the difficulties is the development of the chronogram of the different projects and the information that is offered to the teams involved in the different projects, as well as the possibility of associating one or more plans for the execution of the project and a baseline for the project. supervision, development and management and thus be able to generate changes in the various levels in a corrective manner. In addition, the implementation of the schedule change and operational capacity is difficult and prevents providing the project teams with an updated map for the execution of their tasks and therefore the delivery of a new baseline to verify progress and manage the change programmed by the bosses.

Antony from PCTS Pvt Ltd

Industry: Oil & Energy

Easy and Comfortable Planning Software

Project Planning , Cost Calculation, Cost Control , Optimizing resources to optimize project output ,

Pros

Task Adding Feature of ms Project is very Easy and We can Easily Edit order Without Any Problem, simple planning and scheduling

Cons

Cost Of resources Added Feature is Less also there must be option for creating Some regulate chart like planned progress vs Actual progress , Sn Curve Etc

Courtney from Wayfair

Great platform after learning curve

I have had a positive experience with PPM and haven’t found another platform that suites my needs better. I am currently using it to plan a new employee rewards incentive program with my team and it is serving us well!

Pros

PPM has a lot of pros—from automated reporting, templates, project planning, scheduling, timelines, proposals and more it seemingly had every aspect of project planning in one place. The view is esthetically pleasing and is easy for the eye to follow. I also love that there is a cloud based option that easily travels with me and can be shared with my team. Tracking deadlines is so easy and I love that you can build in milestones as a morale boost throughout the project. Saving files is easy too—as PDF or XPS. I highly recommend project online premium for the best functionality.

Cons

There is a major learning curve if you have never used it. If you have used other Microsoft platforms it will feel familiar but after almost a year of consistent use I am still learning about new features. It can be challenging at first, but practice and lots of YouTube tutorials make it possible! If you have time to invest in learning the program top to bottom it will serve you well. If you need a quick “platform for dummies” for short term use I would suggest something else.

Gio from Northrop Grumman

Easy to access project tool.

I use Microsoft's Project to track the individual items that I need to manage for a major project. The best parts of MS Project are that it evolved into the easiest to use Gant chart generator out there. My personal business calls for me to track several programs at one time and as an Instructional Designer/Architect, I tend to "chunk" projects into smaller, easier to accomplish bites. The Project lets me do that and helps me track my progress in completing the chunks of the larger project that I have to complete. I like that the interface allows me to enter the data about the project into what looks like a spreadsheet. The software then generates a Gant chart and helps me track where I might have finished ahead of schedule or where I might slip if I don't pay attention. My main gripes about MS Project involve a lack of flexibility. I can't easily rename column headings because they're locked into Microsoft's view of what a project should look like. This is only a minor annoyance. That said, at times I often expect MS Project to behave more like MS Excel where I can manipulate and edit cells with ease, which you can't because the columns are locked to function only one way. Finally, I would like to have row separators that let me know where one project ends and another begins. I do this because I'd like to have a tool that lets me view all my projects in one place. Changing dates is also an annoyance because the date fields always default to the point in time in which you started the project and so if you expect the date fields to default to "today's date", you might have to make adjustments. It would be nice if the date defaulted as expected (today's date). Tips: 1. You can roughly rename the titles of cells, but the contents will always function according to the locked nature of the cells. 2. If like me, you want to track multiple projects in one MS Project file, simply color code the different projects with the cell highlight function.

Pros

1. Ease of use 2. Fast data entry 3. Visible Gant chart

Cons

1. Columns are locked to function only one way 2. Date fields don't default to today's date 3. No means to separate one project from another

Ed from CHC

Industry: Maritime

No brainer for Project Management

Handles most of my large projects and allows easy reporting to people. Used for years now and don't plan on changing. Done a few online courses to learn to use it properly and well worth it.

Pros

The leading software in Project Management. Used for a few years now and it allows me to input everything i need to run projects, execute them and then monitor. incorporates all the principles of PM WBS, critical path, leads and lags. Cost management is also a worth while feature allowing you to monitor costs in detail or quick look to see current status.

Cons

Not the best for collaborative working if other staff are not trained properly. I think this is more of a company specific problem where staff are included in projects and data in put but not necessarily trained in PM

Dario from do{main}

This is the reference for Project Planning but you might find better options

I used this product at a large bank and they used this to keep track of every.single.thing. developers did, so it was really time consuming updating everything on a daily basis. PMs had a nightmare maintaining everybody's schedule and making little changes to the plans so they would adjust to minor variations and unexpected stuff. The bank had build an automation engine for Project so every file was crunched by it and used to calculate everything from bugdet updates to productity bonuses. It was really a grim time when some tool told you the bonus wouldn't be available to you in the current quarter.

Pros

Microsoft Project is the 200-pound gorilla that most enterprises use, mainly because their companies already have all the Office bundle and this software might come included. Make no mistake, this is a compelling and thorough piece of software, but sometimes it's a little overkill for simple, quick tasks (like sketching a project while it's being pitched) and it really focus on being a good-for-everyone without much emphasis on usability or friendliness. Other newer options have emerged in the last years, so there's a big possibility that you could find exactly the software for your needs on a cheaper, even free option. On the plus side, MS Project supports really giant plans, as well as collaborative efforts and automation. The fact that it can be automated through code written in C# might be its more appealing feature for enterprises and large companies.

Cons

Like most MS software lately, this can be a memory and CPU hog. It really has tons of features so finding the right tool can be time-consuming. The usability could be much better, especially for my use case which is quick prototyping of projects in order to create budgets and proposals.

Ivan from Bayer

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Traditional project planning software

It gets the job done for the most part if you are planning for traditional projects.

Pros

Microsoft PPM has been in the market for years, meaning that many of the necessary features for successful project planning are there. It allows easier planning and better project management

Cons

Inherently it does not give you an option to share the file with others to establish a collaborative planning effort, and it is also missing quite a bit of feature comparing to Excel

Tom from CDW

Excellent for planning

Overall I’m happy

Pros

Very comprehensive features, the GUI is intuitive

Cons

Can get a little tricky To organise with multi stream projects

Anthony from BGI

Industry: Biotechnology

Review of MS Project

It is ok and there are other PM tools that can do the same jobs like MS Project but do much better to foster collaborations.

Pros

Great tool to construct a project table to communicate the project needs and timeline

Cons

Its Gantt chart is hard to read and inflexible; Not easy for collaborating on projects.

Chris from Every Angle Inspectors

Great for even small business

Very easy to learn and saves a lot of time to complete other tasks.

Pros

This software from Microsoft does not disappoint like most of its other software. It's innovative and helps me complete work in a much more organized manor.

Cons

I haven't noticed anything that stands out yet, but I haven't used it for that long. I will submit any bugs that I find through Microsoft.

Abraham from Ministry of Communication

Microsoft PowerPoint - By Abraham Chongkit

So far my overall experience with MS Project is a little more unique then expected and I would probably prefer more clarification on its compatibility and uses from Microsoft and their retail agents around the world before purchasing. The installation was pretty straight forward and I have not had any issue in regards to the application functionalities, and features. However, it did take me long to learn how to use MS Project and I would probably suggest that the help and instructional features could be adjusted to accommodate other users similar to my situation.

Pros

The great thing I like most about MS Project is that it's interface is quiet similar to that of other MS Office products, such as MS Excel. This familiarity gives me the confidence that the product I am about to use, is very similar to other MS Office products that I use on a daily basis. MS Project integrates well with Office 365 which allows me the space that I need to work remotely from anywhere when I'm outside the office, at home or sitting at a cafe having coffee while working on a task. Even when there is no internet connection, MS Project still works perfectly offline because it is a desktop application after all and your files are stored locally which allows ease of access when you need them. In addition to the user friendly interface of MS Project and its well designed features, I also love the built in templates that come with MS Project which is ready for use when I need it. The various templates have different themes and natures which gives you the flexibility to chose from according to the task you are trying to accomplish.

Cons

The least thing I liked about MS Project is that it took me a while to get used to the menus, and features such as the interface when i first started. It took a lot of practice and further research on how to use the product faster and efficiently because my first impression is that MS Project was not really user-friendly at the beginning. I think MS Project is a bit expensive and you need to plan and make an effective decision before you purchase the full license, and the reason I say this is because if you're a small business with a small budget then you can only afford a handful of user licenses, which means if your business will scale up in the future, then you have to purchase more user licenses to accommodate growth. Another con with MS Project that I found out is that it is only compatible with computers installed with the Windows operating system and you need to install the full licensed version to start using the full features of the application. I normally work remotely and I need an application that is compatible with other mobile devices such as android, apple iOS and Linux. I am unsure if MS Project can accommodate under these circumstances according to the application prerequisites and requirements of use for MS Project.

Joshua from Quad

Industry: Printing

The Project Management Tool for the Microsoft Power User

Overall, Microsoft Project does a really good job of allowing experienced project managers to create complex project plans for both large and small teams. The platform offers extensive schedule and resource management - enabling teams to accurately allocate their resources in order to achieve maximum efficiencies. My experience with Project has been positive. I work in a small to mid-sized team that creates implementation plans for customer recommendations. I have enjoyed the synergies that working with other Microsoft tools provides. Furthermore, Project has enabled me to be effective in those pursuits. It definitely takes some time to learn more complicated aspects of the program - but that time and training and can really benefit a team.

Pros

The greatest strength of Microsoft Project comes in the name. Microsoft develops some of the most popular and effective tools for modern businesses. Project integrates extremely seamlessly into the overall Microsoft ecosystem of work. This enables the platform to truly maximize on all the efficiencies created by keeping your work within one platform. Project also does a fantastic job of allocating and scheduling resources. Furthermore, identifying critical paths for a project is relatively straight forward. Project managers can do specific call outs for key steps along the way as well. There are also a lot of additional benefits for project that help the quality of life for anyone in control of a project.

Cons

Project is a complicated piece of technology. While creating initial project plans seem easy, there are so many features of project that not only go unnoticed - but also can be incredibly cumbersome to learn and master. An additional pain point that I have experienced has related to working on multiple project resources while also viewing the Gantt chart. Finally, sharing a project also holds its own difficulties as well - as users must have Project installed on their own device.

Stever Jose from Algeiba S.A.

Be able to have a clear vision, vision and control to make decision

Have the possibility to manage the resources, projects carptera from the initiative or idea cycle to the process and project closure. and the collaboration in external offices with the executors or other leaders is very useful to measure impacts and make decisions.

Pros

Since we implemented it, which is quite easy, it is enough to have a 2010 project server and a professional project for the stations all in collaboration with a sharepoint farm. The implementation process took a couple of months to adjust the configurations and to be able to obtain the greatest possible potential of the solution. in general we could use the graphs and diagrams in order to measure and make correct decisions to be applied in each case the collaborative work increased to have a better follow-up of the tasks and be able to finalize or inform some deviation in time of each project The support of the provider was very specialized for when we had to resort in some cases to the implementation and uses of the platform. a great functionality was to be able to create project templates without having to go through the process of creating formulas within each file, something that is optional for each use but in ours we had formulas applied to be able to measure specific calculations that we needed. Roi's early measurements were accurate in a high percentage which helped to clarify the landscape of the project area.

Cons

It is a very expensive solution, for which not all companies are willing to invest, not only in the platform but in the hours of R & D that the team must use to manage it, maintain it and work on the solution. Another point is that it is not multiplatform and this in the cases that are needed is important to evaluate it or keep it in mind. It has many features and it is a bit difficult to be an expert because of the number of functionalities that you have and you end up resorting to conventional methods because it is cumbersome to know where to find them.

Israel Jose from Freelance / Self-employed

Is a valuable project management resource suitable for projects of any size

Since I have been using Microsoft Project, allows me to quickly adapt proposals and ideas into organized projects. This very helpful when I need to present proposals because I can give a solid overview of the project's idea, estimate, in the early stage, and to control during the execution, all the resources and manage and predict risks. The linkages, not only are easy to use but also help me when dealing with complex tasks. During presentations, the Gannt window allows me to show timelines versus the lines of tasks and clarify any doubt and even make corrections. I am a fan of the shortcuts, and filters, they help me to zoom over critical points. I really appreciate the fact that I can import and Export tasks in excel formats, it makes my daily work and reporting very easy.

Pros

For any user used to Microsoft's Software Family, the interface and tabs of the software will be very easy to understand and to use. The drag and drop function for schedule makes it easy to modify any resource. It has the most important features that any project management software can have and It is very useful that you can track all the necessary changes, manpower loading, deviations on time, and costs to complete the daily project managing tasks, provide baselines, and formulate all the necessary estimations. The Gantt Chart provides a graphical overview of the whole project and combined with the reports and striking graphics make it easier to understand and present the planning and evaluation strategy. If not the time to start a project from the scratch MPP comes with a very powerful set of templates. Indisputably MPP becomes an ideal first choice for any project manager.

Cons

The first I must say is that you need a strong background in project management theory (critical path method, evaluation techniques and so on) in order to master Microsoft Project and smoothly use all the features and capabilities of the software without having a complex learning curve. Besides, it's not an intuitive program so it is adviced taking a training course, but yes, you can learn to use it by yourself by dedicating hours and discipline. In the other hand, you need to consider the size of your project and company, and considering that it is a monthly subscription (including access to the cloud) that you should pay for every user, it can end up being relatively expensive at the end of the month. The integration with externals apps is null so you need to do it manually. And well, there are some formatting issues, is really complicated sometimes and printed results are not always what is expected.

Hessel from Cellcom

Essential for all users of MS Project who have multiple project files that share common resources

The benefits to the organization have been phenomenal! Prior to the implementation of PPM it was impossible to see what individual team members were doing. The team leaders were 'king' and could do what they liked and when they liked. Our aim in implementing the product was to preserve existing process but to take the planning and execution of tasks to a new level. We found it easy to use although there was a bit of a learning curve. We had a challenge on implementing as, for some reason, there was a bug in MS Project. It took about six months to stabilize the site but once it was stable, the problem didn't return. For those who are interested, in our case it was due to not having service pack 2 installed. The challenge once we started using it, was to get management to appreciate the fact that accurate, real time reports could be generated and that they would be of immense benefit to them. It took a while until they realized it but once they did, the idea took off and requests flowed in for more views (reports) showing different aspects of the data. We use the product to track tasks of resources located outside the IT division which was also an innovation that needed time to be absorbed. The philosophy had always been that the team leader was assigned the task and that he/she would delegate it to the team members. With the browser version, resources could see their tasks, update % complete and the project manager could instantly see what was happening. This turned team meetings into shorter, more focused events as there was no need to review tasks.

Pros

I like the way you can use it for managing resources. It is very easy to assign resources to multiple projects and to see resource assignments and resource capacity. I use resource assignments in PPM to report project progress and I find the reports easier to understand and more meaningful that the reports that generated in standalone MS Project. I also use this resource assignment ability to slice and dice data so that I can see slipped tasks, tasks that have not started, tasks with no deadlines, grouped tasks per release etc. The sky is the limit! The web-based facility means that resources can see their tasks without needing to have MS project installed on their computers and they also don't need to have any knowledge of MS Project. This makes it easy to deploy in a big organization where there may be budget constraints.

Cons

It hasn't kept the pace with competitor projects and the various new releases don't differ substantially with previous ones. Here are a few things I don't like. I know it asks for only one, but I'd like to share some of the challenges. * You can't send messages to resources from within tasks * There is no place for discussion in a task apart from Notes, which are cumbersome and you can't then search for text in the note. * You can't sort the list of files backed up. That makes restoring files a bit of a challenge as you need to be really careful before you restore a file. * After all this time, the product is still not stable and there are still intermittent bugs to which there don't seem to be any solutions. * the filter capability of the views is limited and you can't use brackets.

Jose de Jesus from Banco Bicentenario, Banco Universal C.A.

My experience in Microsoft PPM, a tool for the control of Projects in an efficient way

I would recommend it extensively because it is useful to the final user, to be able to know the tool before it can be acquired and to know the opinion of a true user who takes advantage of each component every day, I am very pleased to participate in this program and thus contribute my experience.

Pros

Generally within the environment where I perform this tool is very useful, because your way of organizing work is excellent, to me as a professional in the area of technology adds incredible benefits, allows me to see tasks in a single presentation, resources, project execution times, remaining time, as well as progress, at the management level it has the advantage of making the most accurate decisions regarding reallocation of resources, time and other elements that intervene in the projects that I control from my area. It is great as all the work team that is under my charge is integrated to the use of this tool and we can be synchronized under the same objectives of the institution.

Cons

Despite being a great tool for project control, there is no way to measure the productivity of the work team or individually, this would help a lot or a lot to give the incentives to achieve jointly, departmentally or individually, even more when you want to highlight the merits of the team. Likewise, the cost of this tool for a medium or small company would be difficult to acquire or would be underused since in small environments the management of the projects would not have as many elements. However, I am very pleased with the kindnesses I have found in it.

Hans from PEP

The best project management tool in the industry!

Microsoft Project is undoubtedly one of the best project management tool in the industry, whether you are working on projects in different fields such as IT, Marketing, Finance, Construction, etc. As long as I can remember, MS Project has been helping me deliver projects successfully. It's a software that is ideal for collaborating with my team and it aids in effective planning as well as allocation of resources. Probably the best feature of this program is the resource management aspect of it notably the workload tracking with everyone involved (team members, client, and vendors). I normally use the Gantt Chart view since this is the easiest to work with and most common as well. I don't think I've ever worked with an easier software that can do simple changes such as linking multiple dependencies. In addition, this is more visually intuitive and you can easily manipulate the shape and colors of the bars (this is very helpful when dealing with multiple tasks). Overall, this software is definitely one of the top ones out there. It takes a lot of practice to get used to it but having templates (especially the ones specific to your company/industry or whenever you are working on similar projects with identical deliverables [ease of use = tasks are populated]). One good advice for people who are interested in project management: learn this software early one if possible. I know many universities teach the MS Project basics.

Pros

Ease of use, visually presentable (especially when dealing with many tasks), most common software in the industry

Cons

It takes some time to learn the software so it can be intimidated to new users

MS Project Review

With Microsoft project Manager my company can complete weekly and monthly milestones; we are changing our web-based applications for Hospitality Business Intelligence tool and using Microsoft project Manager we can accomplish deadlines and make our product better and clients happy. More and more issues are getting resolved faster with using Microsoft project Manager because we can tackle those daily tasks at hand. Microsoft project Manager is easy to share the project within our organization and anyone can edit it.

Pros

Microsoft project Manager is one of the best suitable software for getting customizable reports for any project. I am able to create milestones, goals, and set timelines within my department at work to complete daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly tasks. If in an event I have to move a task over Microsoft project Manager can determine automatically how long the milestone will be completed based on the due dates and timelines. Microsoft project Manager comes with the Microsoft Office Subscription, but that is only if you purchase the full or pro version. Moreover, Microsoft project Manager makes projects organization very easy and quickly make positive impact is business problems and management.

Cons

Microsoft project Manager can take time to learn and get adapted to different features of the product; Secondly, the product is pricy Microsoft project Manager does come standalone, but included in the pro version of Office is actually cheaper, the standalone can cost a lot.

hani from IUST

enterprise project management (EPM) system

Microsoft project is a famous and old tool for planning and controlling projects. I’ve used MSP in different IT and construction projects. It has almost all the necessary features for a project team. Project scheduling, cost management, resource management, risk management and portfolio management are some of its features. Also Earned value management (EVM) provide different Indicators for project evaluation. You could add custom field and formula to project based on your requirements. For a year we implement this Microsoft solution on SharePoint site and we use it as an enterprise project management (EPM) software. It use SQL Server as database. Network project management was a great new experiment. In project web app (WPA) you could define different access level for project team and assign task to them. We also use Microsoft power BI and power view for designing charts and diagram to control the project status. It is also possible to use Microsoft Nintex as a workflow engine to implement simple processes on your team.

Pros

As a Microsoft tools it has a great integration with other MS solution as name above, but it’s hard to integrate with externals apps.

Cons

MSP is a classic project management tools that support different standard for project management, like PMBoK. But it’s not a tool for agile project management such as Scrum and Kanban.

Lilians from Corporación Venezolana de Minería S.A.

I think it is a very efficient software, it has been an indispensable tool to plan my projects.

It has brought me many benefits, among them it has allowed me to plan my projects in a faster way, since with this tool I can take control of the execution time and the budget with a clearer and more global vision, it has been a tool for me great utility and has more functions than those used daily.

Pros

The software has several advantages, mainly it organizes my projects in a more complete way, because before using it to my Excel plans, with the difference that Project has daily the progress of the project with graphs and diagrams for a faster analysis, Without exceeding the available budget, also plan from small to large projects with the great advantage that I can link them or work them separately. I find it interesting that the project control allows to save the line of the original project to compare it with the modifications that are made in time. On the other hand you can save the file in other formats to facilitate printing.

Cons

In my personal opinion Project is not easy to use for beginners, initially I found it a bit complicated for the basics of the program, even for other more advanced functions it should be easier, for example at first I did not understand because Project sometimes my activities with a duration in decimals even when I assigned him the full day. I think it could be used by students as a tool to plan their activities so that later in the professional field they are more familiar with the software, but for that it must be more user friendly. On the other hand, I think that its biggest disadvantage is that the activation of the license is a bit expensive.

Susan from Verizon

It ensures the full management and productivity of the projects.

For me , it has already saved me tons of time and allows me to be more productive and able to manage the projects in a quicker way. We can easily mold a rough draft of our work into something much more valuable and viable with the help of this tool. It has allowed me to perform various operations of managing my tasks in a much better way.

Pros

Microsoft Project Management offers the most easy and viable solutions to sort out our daily routines tasks and implements a total calculated solutions for our projects. We can input the required info and get the detailed and visually aid solutions for our projects. We can easily view progress better, collaborate in an efficient way. We can easily set out tasks and keeps a thorough surveillance of our work. It allows us to make decisions independently.

Cons

In order to gain full advantage of this tool, one should have a fine knowledge of using this tool. So it requires a training and sound knowledge of operating the management tool. Just because of its complex operations, one can have difficulty in operating it. The overall license purchasing expense is a bit higher and it gets bit difficult for us to measure the overall productivity of the projects.

PPM is a powerful tool for program management

Pros

As a Program Manager I used MS Project and Portfolio Management full suite of product quite extensively. I managed multiple projects ranging from small to large projects. Our network spanned across multiple groups domestic and global. Our initial project only used MS Project in the early stages until the full suite of PPM was available. Projects were easier manage and it helped us stayed within budget. The tools were not as easy as I anticipated to integrate, however with the right planning I’m sure it can be integrated fine. It’s important that the program team is knowledgeable about all the capabilities so it can be used in their projects. We used the entire portfolio in all our programs.

Cons

Setting up the entire system is not as easy as I had hoped. It took several iterations in order to get the right process in place and to make sure the program team are properly trained to utilize all the features that are available with all the tools. All tools must be integrated correctly. It’s best to plan and take your time setting it up right.

Amy from Determine

Microsoft Project, Good tool for an average budget

For the cost per licence and the ease of use, Microsoft Project is my go to tool for Project Management Software.

Pros

Most business have some form of Microsoft Suite, Project doesn't come in the standard suite but so adding additional licenses for Project is more cost effective than most Project Management Software. Because it is a Microsoft product, the user interface is like most Microsoft products, so learning how to navigate around Project doesn't take a lot of time. There is so much to this tool. You can do small and/or large project on it. The capabilities that it has are endless, you really can do a lot with this tool.

Cons

It can be a complex tool, when I first began using Project I had a manager working with me on the Project and helped me get used to Microsoft Project. She had been using it for years, so she had a wealth of knowledge that she shared with me. Without her help, I do think it would have taken me a lot longer to get used to it and be able to use it to its full ability. That being said, the tool can do so much more than I ever thought it could.

Majid from Information Technology and Services

General porous Project Management tool

General porous Project Management tool and not applicable in the complicated projects

Pros

Windows application is really user-friendly. I love the recurring task facility for creating repetitive tasks without the need of creating each task separately. Supporting the different relationship between tasks including FS. SS, SF, and FF

Cons

I wished it supports backward resource-leveling. It doesn't support the whole areas of the project management body of knowledge including Quality management and risk management in the best way.

Quratulain from QZ Consulting

Organise projects, manage portfolios and projects

If you need Planning Software that gives you visibility into real world timelines, then you cannot go wrong with MS Project. It plans for you as you add in resources, deadlines, holidays, etc. The more information you provide, the better it will be.

Pros

This is my go to tool for project management. I love how easy it is to plan projects within it. I can interconnect other projects so they will update accordingly and do combined reporting. Project scheduling is the best in the industry. The reports are still a little clunky however, they give the information you need for senior management and/or decision making. I can add some of my own programming to it to get desired visuals etc.

Cons

Its not easy to integrate this into sharepoint or to make the software email other team members on tasks due on them. I know its there but i havent done this as yet. The KB and/or training is not easily available. I also wish there was an easy way to do cost management within the project(s)

Frimny from Upt Aragua

It is simple and easy to use help for portfolio management of projects and everyday tasks.

Pros

The most I like about the software is that it is a programming tool that offers a flexible local or online solution for the management of project portfolios and day-to-day tasks, it is easy and simple to use and facilitates the management of the projects. You can work with columns and rows, graphics and other integrated tools, necessary and useful to give you better view, organization and presentation to our project portfolio. You can work together or as a team with another server. It also allows us to capture and evaluate project ideas, make decisions and easily model different scenarios inside or outside of an organization. In general, it is designed for any user either with little experience in programming or with great knowledge, since it costs a good technical support and easy to understand aids. It can be used from any mobile device.

Cons

Somewhat difficult to handle for non-expert or non-trained users in the area, previous knowledge is needed to be used as other software. No productivity can be measured and the cost of the license is expensive.

Richard from Island Car Rental

Another useful tool from Microsoft with the ability to create tasks and add resources to it.

Overall I would recommend that app, I have been able to put together a rough draft of a project quicker, saving time stress and can edit it to the likeness of my team quicker. Also, while using the software I have been able to view the project and show the process when asked. This tool helps us to administrate, develop and design projects of our company. Good analytical tool

Pros

This is another useful tool from Microsoft with the ability to create tasks and add resources to it. I love the filtering abilities, I am constantly using them for zooming in on what is critical whether in a meeting or working individually to update the schedule. This app provides you with templates and shortens the time you spend on putting things in place. What is also good is that you can focus on the depth of the information you are sending out rather than throwing something together and it does not appear professional and the information is missed. You can also invite your team into the project as well.

Cons

What I would like is an easier way to set up reports. I like that there are a lot of great features, but they are not as user friendly as some of the other Microsoft Project features. You will need to invest more time in getting trained, because they do look very helpful once you know how to set them up.

Craig from Benson Industries, Inc.

Track your progress with MS Project

Pros

We use MS Project for progress tracking and scheduling. MS Project allows you to set timelines, track schedules and view/add items that need to be completed before you can move on to the next phase of your project. As things slip, you can adjust your project schedule to accommodate for those changes. Without MS Project, our company wouldn't be able to function without knowing where each project is at and we wouldn't be able to make the informed adjustment decisions as a project schedule slips or speeds up. Also, the ability for us to create project templates helps us get a project off the ground and we can adjust as needed. There is also functionality of a MS Project server and if you are doing multiple projects/schedules and concurrent accessibility and change management is needed, that might be your way to go with this application.

Cons

There are an abundance of features and options that are not at first intuitive, so having some dedicated MS Project Training is a must. There are some things that MS Project is lacking and from what I have seen the only other option out there to complete some of these lacking tasks is Primavera. When evaluating software, best to compare them both before making your decision.

Solid solution for project management software

One can easily learn how to use Microsoft Project in a long weekend, but utilizing the software in conjunction with proven project management methodology is key.

Pros

Microsoft Project brings a lot of the same design mentality present in its other applications such as templates that provide ease of use for new users. A project can be extremely granular and contain a total breakdown of tasks and resources or merely a high level breakdown of major milestones. Once compiled, the data can be broken out into various views for the pertinent project tasks such as timelines and Gantt charts.

Cons

Microsoft Project does have a steeper learning curve than some applications because of the inherent need to understand project management philosophy. You also need to have at least a partially formalized approach to project management otherwise you may find yourself fighting with the software.

Francis from LA County Counsel

Industry: Public Policy

Microsoft Project Review

Microsoft Project provides interactive dashboards and reporting functionalities. The project managers can also prepare insightful reports and make decisions about project execution and staffing levels. Scheduling features like Gantt charts and prepopulated pulldown menus help reduce training time and simplify the project planning process.

Pros

Easy to use with visibility to chart views makes it easy to plan project deadlines. Like Excel, the columns and rows are simple to add. With this product, the project can be easily manage. The chart views are useful for presentation and report. Another good feature is timeline feature. With that, one can project the duration and tasks.

Cons

MS Project is not compatible with Mac OS. It is only compatible with Windows OS. It is expensive. It should be part of MS Office suite. It can be difficult to use if you are not familiar with the product. Training is a must.

Endless Features, overall great tool

Increases productivity for multiple complicated projects. I use this for the Board, committees I work with to manage timelines, scheduled. The features could be overwhelming and take time to understand however it's worth it. Take advantage of online free tutorials and Microsoft online videos.

Pros

Online support is 24/7, always available. Features include tools like charts, templates, budget management, expenses tracking, idea management, resource management, collaboration, task management just among the multiple features available. Easily manage resources, schedules, collaborate on projects. One of the most effective tools for project management. Convenient tool to allow all your work to live on one platform. Create complex schedules, plans. Easily view projects, resources, and other items on management level to make accurate decisions. Create detailed, customizable reports and goals, timelines to increase productivity. This tool makes organization very efficient for even complicated projects.

Cons

There is a learning curve for most of the features although it becomes productive, easier to use in time. It does take time to learn every aspect of each tool as it’s a bit complicated. I wish there was a way to measure team productivity.

Stephen from Clackamas Community College

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Great experiance

More and more of us are less hardcore waterfall and are moving more towards a Waterfall/Agile hybrid solution. Would love to see the concept of "cards" or "Stories" be part of the project with stages or lists rather than trying to force Agile into a Waterfall tool.

Pros

For me MS/Project sets the standard for all other waterfall project management software tools. Have been using it for many years.

Cons

1. The con is also a plus, but setting resource time estimates is tricky and requires a better understanding of work versus resource units versus and % complete. Added to that is the Task type and whether or not it is effort driven, confuses even senior PM's. 2. Not having an easy interface to update tasks from a Kanban (or Agile) world adds complexities to those us using hybrid solutions. Maybe this one is just that I am not aware of the Microsoft Kanban options however.

Cesar A from Government Administration

The right tool to begin your own project

Pros

This is the best tool for people who are starting to make or evaluate their own project. MS Project with a very simple interphase can adjust virtually to anyone who wants to have a better organization of their activities to begin a project or to make a better decision of the future of their activities. With very simple data like the name of activities, the time for development and the people who will get involved, you can easily start a project and have an idea of how much time would happen to get it and where they would start the limitations or obstacles to develop your project.

Cons

The main limitation of MS Project it is that you have to have a middle of high level of administration processes, because a big range of the information that you introduce on the software has a direct relation with a administration and accounting, while this is information be better, your project increase the possibilty to develop. If you do not have a basic administration knowledge you can have some trouble putting the data on the software and maybe the result will not be very effectly or will not fulfill your purposes

Priyanka from Pinaki Technologies

Project Plan & Tracking with MS Project

Excellent Resource Management. Project plan creation. Ability to derive cost and effort of a project.

Pros

Hierarchical view of tasks, sub-tasks with efforts & resource allocation. A detailed tabular view via the Gantt chart view . A task distribution on a calendar view with pictorial representation of tasks via the team planner view. Ability to assign same task to multiple people and define resource allocation towards each task Via the network diagram the overall dependencies, flow of tasks can be well understood. Option to baseline a project to a specific date helps to showcase progress accordingly.

Cons

I recommend that the transition between automatically scheduled and manual schedule can be made more pleasant, sometime this results in a lot of conflicts to be resolved.

Darrus from Summit Health Management

Managing multiple projects

MS has not been terribly clear about their current direction forward as it relates to PM software specifically. There seem to be multiple products being pursued with no indication as to where long term commitment from MS will be dedicated.

Pros

An extensive feature set and interoperability with other Microsoft productivity programs gives Project the edge. The myriad of ways you can visualize projects/tasks is extremely helpful and facilitates more clear and concise communication about project timelines both up and down the chain of command.

Cons

Project's large feature set also comes with a sizable learning curve for the uninitiated. Training is available but there is little outside of personal support from more experienced colleagues to really convey some of the nuance of using the product.

Alejandro from Alo Global Technologies

There is no better project software than MS Project. maybe intimidating but the best never the less.

Don't look elsewhere, take a curse and learn how to use MS project and be the best project manager you can be.

Pros

Want o manage a project like a BOSS This is the best, all program, project, task, risk analysis, costs, deviations on time, costs or resources. all you can control all, baseline, GANTT and Kanban displays, reports as you like it. you better take a course or two but once you do it you will manage this powerful tool very well. and if you connect to a Sharepoint/teams platform is another level of organization, not only you are the boss, but also your organization will run the projects so swift you will be amazed.

Cons

Complicated, intimidating, and a little pricey but is all worthy. once you tame this beast you are the master of the projects.

Francis Carolina from elbrunchshow.wordpress.com

It is the most conservative, complete and useful tool for project management.

It is a complete and robust software that allows you to control the different phases of a project in progress. This translates into efficient data that allows you to make timely decisions in your company or organization.

Pros

I think that this tool is the most complete and complex of the market. It is the software that best fits the PMP methodologies. It is constantly updated. What I like is the possibility of managing different phases of the project in the same viewing window. You can manage costs, risks, critical routes, human resources and others.

Cons

It is a restrictive tool, it can only be used in Windows environments, not compatible with Linux or MAC OS. It can be expensive, but if it is acquired by a large technology company, the cost-benefit ratio is an advantage. The interface is not very friendly when you are using it for the first time. So taking a tutorial, even a basic one, could be considered before you start working with it.

Robert from Bed Bath & Beyond

Microsoft PPM offers efficient and timely managed project coordinations.

Pros

Microsoft PPM is equipped with several tools and efficiently designed user-interface with the help of which we can easily track the progress of the projects. Several project aspects can be tracked easily and their progress is followed by all team members. Each member is assigned its own part of work and their progress can also be measured. Daily reports, start/end dates and important alerts makes this software well reliable for project management.

Cons

This tool is very efficient in performance. So as we go for negative points there are not much to highlight except for the fact that sharing files to person which are not using PPM could be a real headache. For that we have to export the reports or material in pdf or other formats for sharing. Other than this , PPM could also use more additive tools for finance and business operations of which only basics are offered now.

Powerful tool, but can get overwhelming quickly

All in all, it is a very powerful tool. When used correctly, it really helps to keep all of the information you are trying to track together in one space. It has a pretty steep learning curve and can be overwhelming for many.

Pros

This program has a lot of power. There is a bevy of features available to users that can help track changes, scheduling, project progression and costs. The layout is familiar to users of other Microsoft products, and just about everything can be accessed fairly quickly and easily.

Cons

It can be very overwhelming. If you have one person steering the ship with this and everyone else using it to see the results it is very effective. Multiple users on a single project or process can quickly muddle things and there is a need for good management and computer skills to be able to use this software effectively. Nearly always our new users are overwhelmed by the size and power of this program.

Pros

I consider that it is the most used tool worldwide to manage projects because it allows an efficient administration of resources, quickly converts proposals and ideas into operational projects, plans and manages small and large projects, standardizes more and more processes to improve the functioning and facilitate project management, visualize the performance of our projects and resources, detect trends, manage risks more easily, identify problems or areas for improvement. I'm sure there are more advantages to this product

Cons

For many years I use and prefer this tool because I have never presented any type of inconvenience with it. Recommended to manage projects 100%

Atahualpa from Telefónica

Is the universal software to control projects is easy to use and with a lot of documentation.

The main benefits of Microsoft project has given me is, control my professional projects, saving time, resources to the company without sacrificing the quality of the final product. The benefit of project is that it becomes a predictive software and with the results of deviation of the project, we will be able to correct in time and finish the project happy

Pros

project allows to plan, control, track, determine critical path, to alert where we must focus so that the project does not stop. The advantages of project are multiple among which we can handle the following: Multiple views, tasks, times, project uses PERT CPM as a base, also allows us to perform curve "S", and something important of Microsoft Project is that it determines the deviation of the project, reviewing and improving the costs of the same, if we use project correctly, save costs, optimize resources and minimize execution times.

Cons

I think that project should be included in the Microsoft Office package, because we can do any task in a project, from remodeling the house or assembling a complex system platform,

Martin from Plastics

Worth it

Pros

Allows for easy manipulation of tasks to prioritize for others When I use this software I am primarily tracking an entire job from beginning to end. I use it more as a scheduler than anything to determine how other factors will be affected if something else is late. It is a very easy way to project status and visually show to others where we stand.

Cons

My only con is learning curve. A lot of the time I have not seen this used by companies. People are either set in their ways or don't know how to use it so instead of learning how to, they turn away. I think once you get into it, you will find it is very useful and easy but the learning curve is large.

Germán Andrés from Toky

An essential tool for the project manager

Pros

Microsoft Project is one of those tools that every project manager must learn to use. It has a lot of great features for the beginner to the expert in project management. You can easily plan and forecast activities, assign resources and even get a full project cash flow. I use it to plan project activities, assign resources and detect when they are overcharged and if you use a baseline you can get control of project deviations. You can find a lot of functionalities that can grow as your needs of project management and knowledge of the tool evolve. There are a lot of good content about how to use it properly.

Top 5 project management tools for corporate use that helps in project planning and strategy

Pros

1. Easy to use and simple interface 2. Creation of Gantt charts and WBS structure by simply entering data in excel format 3. Linking of items across rows to maintain the timeline and dashboards to plot charts accordingly 4. It makes use of data and represents the tabular format in a graphical form, which is really very useful for project planning and strategizing. 5. It makes a note of resources utilization and creates and updates the plan accordingly. 6. We can set milestones, goals, define objectives and much more with this simple and reliable tool.

Cons

This is a great tool, however tools like JIRA and Microsoft Azure DevOps are boosting speeds in the market because of their advanced and significant use, that match the current corporate needs. Microsoft Project again being an expensive software gets looked over and others take the lead. There must be additional features to improve graphical representation of data or to export them in other forms.

Schedule the task by using MS Project

Those who are already using Microsoft Products, you can add MS Project to your Microsoft family to do Project Mangement. My overall experience is good at all.

Pros

Ease of understanding due to simple and attractive GUI is the thing I preferred MS project rather than Primavera and who are already familiar with other MS office can easily understand their functions. Easily can create tasks and organize resources. Each project can easily manage it with the help of the Gantt chart with different colours and can input and output as an excel format.

Cons

Pricing is one of cons which is common for all Microsoft products. When it goes fora high-level administrative works, it has some limitations with itself and when we compared to the Primavera, it was less advanced and limited for some options.

Maxxine from Atkins

Industry: Oil & Energy

Microsoft Project for the Consultant

Microsoft Project has a lot of really great features provided you purchase the correct version for your needs otherwise, just like any other software, it will not perform to your expected satisfaction.

Pros

Lots of different views for the same data input. Allows for individuals to have different time schedules built in and different cost centers and rates to pull from across multiple assets. Most of our clients use this software and allows for easy transfer of schedules.

Cons

Because there are so many features the learn, it can be daunting to learn how everything fits together. Although this is an early Con, in the long term, the functionality is worth the perseverance.

Microsoft builds solutions for

Managing projects provided a lot of benefits for us. although it was too big for us as an SME and we left Microsoft Project

Pros

easy to learn there is a bunch of documents for learning adequate for medium size projects supports project management CPM, Pert,...

Cons

filling timesheet is a real disaster and the user faces with so many difficulties Timesheet reporting doesn't work properly An admin does not have all the features in the web platform It's too big for SME's doesn't support PMBOK especially in procurement management and risk management areas It's not a specific purpose solution for any industry like oil and gas or automotive

Vanessa from Numen International

The Standard for PM software

I have been using MS Project for several years now. I have also used other project management softwares, but until now I haven't found any other option better than MS Project. The ease of use, track and control make it the standar for project management software. It would be nice to have some cutting edge updates like introducing features for the new PM methodologies such as agile and design thinking. Also, some visual refurbishment would be refreshing. Mac users are still begging and waiting for a OSX version, and this should be sort out soon by microsoft developers.

Pros

Ease of use, it is the industry standard for project management software.

Cons

There is no a Mac version of it. It needs to include features for new PM methodologies such as agile.

Rohan from Liqquibox Corp

Great for business projects management

Happy with the software and glad my company is using it. Will be using it for all our projects. The latest versions also have a nice GUI. Defiantly recommended!

Pros

Very well put together to manage company projects for CEO's and all management levels. Great for planning and action flow control. Quite easy to get to know and figure out with little knowledge of the program. Most company members tend to stick to using Excel but this is definitely better choice for project management.

Cons

Can be a bit cluttered when all the projects are entered but depends on how it is setup. Cannot see anything else being a problem.

Microsoft Project Review

Pros

What I liked most was how user-friendly the interface is and how easy it was to create Gantt charts for my project. I use Microsoft Project extensively and it is a very useful software for any kind of project management use. The help feature is great and this is the only software application I use for my projects.

Cons

With Agile being used now, Microsoft Project is considered outdated software. It is a bit clunky although robust. Online project management software has become more popular. People are finding cheaper and more effective alternatives to Microsoft Project.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,101 reviews