OmniFocus

OmniFocus Reviews

RATING:

• icon"It has a slick UI and it offers so much features, useful ones that you will actually use, it makes itself an invaluable tool in your task management arsenal."
  • icon"If you often have to manage complex tasks projects, OmniFocus is well probably the best choice. They recently added tags."
  • icon"OmniFocus is the best and the most powerful GTD software that I have used."
  • icon"But it is more expensive than some lesser products. I think you get what you pay for with this one."
  • icon"There is also a learning curve. There is no Windows version."
  • icon"I also miss a feature to calculate availability/capacity."

All OmniFocus Reviews

Eddie

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Overkill to the point of unusable - impractical even for the most organized of us

Tammie

Industry: Writing and Editing

Fantastic "to-do" software but very in-depth

I tried a dozen to-do apps before purchasing OF3 and stuck with it a few months but the interface wasn't right for me and it was too fiddly and too overwhelming. If you can get into it properly and can handle how in-depth it is then you'll be fine but it was just too much for me. The price when I got it was actually great, it was a one-time purchase, not subscription like it is now. However, I have switched to Todoist which meets my needs so much better.

Pros

It had all the features I needed including setting repeating reminders, ease of adding a task and setting dark mode.

Cons

It's too in-depth, if you've never used it or one of Omni's other software it's a heck of a learning curve. The online manual is huge and there's so much to find out. Setting repeating tasks is quite fiddly, there are a lot of options. Other software I've used let's you just put "water plants every Monday" and it'll set that reminder. In OF3 you have to select so many options just to do this. It's very fiddly on a phone especially.

Jakob

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

A well featured tool with a steep learning curve

Trying to juggle multiple roles at work with different projects and deadlines, OmniFocus helps with the defer dates, to not have something pop up until you have decided to work on it. So it is easier to avoid being overwhelmed. So long as you consistently use the system and review weekly.

Pros

When you are invested in the system and the GTD (Getting Things Done) Methodology, OmniFocus works quite well.

Cons

The learning curve! It takes a lot of time to internalize how OmniFocus works and the flow daily and weekly use.

Reasons for choosing OmniFocus

OmniFocus is a professional project with consistent development behind it. Things development at the time appeared more sporadic.

Reasons for switching to OmniFocus

OmniFocus had enhanced functionality with the custom perspectives.

My Go To Tool to Getting Things Done

OmniFocus allows you to quickly capture your thoughts and turn them into actionable tasks. OmniFocus’s intuitive and customizable interface provides you with the tools needed to organize your tasks into manageable actions.

Pros

These are features that I like Quick Entry, allows me to quickly create tasks from anywhere on your Mac Folders and projects to help organize tasks Customizable views Mail app integration

Cons

I do not use these features much time estimates, repeats for your tasks and projects

Ben

August 2022

I really wanted to love OmniFocus

I really wanted to love OmniFocus, and I know it's a very poplar app, but it just never clicked for me. It always felt cumbersome for me to use. It has a ton of really cool features, and some really useful ways of helping you keep track of your tasks and projects. And if your'e really into the Getting Things Done method, it's great for that. I tried it for a year or two and struggled to make it work for my workflow. I watched several videos on how other people were using it, and tried to do a fresh start on it a few times, but finally switched to Things 3 and haven't looked back.

Pros

I like how feature packed and powerful OmniFocus is. There's a lot of ways you can customize the app, and lay it out in a way that helps you in the way you work. It's a great app to pair with a Getting Things Done workflow, as it's kind of tailored for that. I like the focus mode, in which it blocks out everything else in the app except for what you are currently working on, so that you can really focus on your current tasks and not be distracted by other things you have coming up. I also like the review feature, that allows you to review how you did each day or each week and what all you accomplished, and how your ongoing tasks are fairing.

Cons

I always felt like OmniFocus was a bit clunky and verbose. It was progressively harder for me to want to use it every day. The user interface felt a little crowded and hard for me to navigate effectively, and I just never felt I could use it efficiently without becoming too bogged down in all the features or other little things in the app.

Greg

When you need it, you need it

As you can see, I really like Omnifocus. It helps keep me on track. When I'm doing GTD well and doing my Weekly Reviews (which Omnifocus supports very well) then I'm staying on track with my life. I'm a big fan.

Pros

I've used a lot of iOS and Mac task managers. Omnifocus is the best for me when life gets super busy. I love the automation and the project management templates. It makes it so easy to deal with recurring projects. The different perspectives let me see only what I need to see at any given time. It really is a joy to use once you get the hang of it. I have it on my Apple Watch, iPhone and Mac.

Cons

There is a learning curve, but don't let that stop you. Just because a task has a million fields you can you doesn't mean you have to use them. I would say just use the basic for a while and learn the more advanced features as you go. It's pricey but totally worth it.

Reasons for choosing OmniFocus

I love Things but Omnifocus just offers more power and advanced features. If you can get away with using Things, it's a great looking and wonderful app.

The Name says it all

The name says it all. Omni stands for 'universal' - focus is kind of the opposite. You can't have focus and also center you attention on everything. It is a great tool, don't get me wrong. But I would often get caught up in working that the task manager perfectly reflected my work, rather than just getting on with it. But I have some colleagues who love it and would never want to work with anything else again. If you need the level of granularity that OmniFocus provides, this tool is for you. For me, that was more of a distraction.

Pros

OmniFocus gives you massive options in how to manage your tasks. It is certainly well thought out and a tool that lets you get into a lot of detail on your task management game. OmniFocus lets you integrate with other tools through Zapier and share with team members.

Cons

OmniFocus provides a great level of detail in managing your tasks. So much so, that it was distracting me from doing the actual work.

Reasons for choosing OmniFocus

I ultimately switched from OmniFocus to Things, due to its simplicity which worked better for me. I did test them each for some time to make the call, that would be my suggestion too. If you need a team collaboration tool Things is the wrong choice, and OmniFocus wins.

Amy

June 2022

Too Much for My Needs

Overall my experience was great! I enjoyed using OmniFocus and if it were free or cheaper I'd still be using it. I didn't want to switch away but couldn't justify the cost.

Pros

I'm a visual person and OmniFocus has an attractive design that I enjoyed using. It was easy to figure out how to use all the features. I'm a [SENSITIVE CONTENT] fan and like how well OmniFocus fits into the Getting Things Done system.

Cons

It did way more than I need for my small business and cost more than I was able to pay. But I can see it being super-handy for an "executive" type job.

Reasons for choosing OmniFocus

I chose OmniFocus over Asana because Asana was more expensive than OmniFocus, and [SENSITIVE CONTENT] recommended OmniFocus. I chose it over Trello because the Trello Board doesn't fit the way my brain works and was just confusing to me.

Martín

The second best task management software

Well, I used OF for good two years (Pro version) and while it served me well, I ultimately found that the way OF implements task management is too focused to micro-management. When OF3 came out I was torn between going ahead and embrace my fate (!) or move along and look for another option. Eventually, I switched to Things 3 and never ever looked back :)

Pros

- Feature-rich app, allows you to control almost every aspect of your tasks - Maybe the best task management software suite for handling complex projects - iOS companion app - Web service allows you to access most critical functions when on the go (or working from a different platform) - If you often have to manage complex tasks projects, OmniFocus is well probably the best choice - They recently added tags! - OmniFocus still prides of sticking to GTD principles

Cons

- Only for Mac :( - IMHO not the very best tool for small to medium task projects - Sometimes it seems it is more focused to cater micro-management fans than staying out of the way - Pricey

Rishu

September 2022

Stress Buster app

As a Apple user I love this. This software never dissappointed me. The day I started using this, I become less stressed.

Pros

In my opinion, there is no any app which can beat it in functionalities. It's Iphone version is good too. This software is very easy when it comes to task adding. Features like subtasking, quick entries are lifesaver.

Cons

There is no any major cons of this software sometimes it looks very messy. Pricing is bit higher.

Industry: Furniture

May 2022

My main task management software

I am used to Omnifocus and use it daily. But I wouldn't recommend it to everyone because of the difficulty of starting to use it.

Pros

Good interface, good functionality, regular updates.

Cons

Difficult to start using, difficult to collaborate with others on different tasks.

Ugly interface

My most frequently used application, Keeps me Sane!

I would feel completely lost without OmniFocus and have attempted to use some other workaround software but it failed miserably, doesn't even come close. I need all my commitments and tasks with me instantly for on-the-go decision making about what I do next, according to what context I'm currently in. This does it seamlessly and the customer service is great. An unreserved recommendation from me.

Pros

For those who are familiar with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] Getting Things Done methodology, this is a must-have. But you don't have to be familiar with GTD for it to keep you focused. It keeps me on track in my demanding full time job as well as running my side-hustle company. It also keeps me on task with personal commitments. I use it constantly throughout the day to make sure I'm committed to the right projects and doing the right tasks, at the right time, in the right context. For me, this is my #1 application I use in any business or personal category. It was a little pricey for an app, but pays multiple dividends to me every day. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone who needs to get business and personal commitments under control and keep them that way. And to get maximum benefit, read the GTD book from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] to understand how it REALLY can benefit you day to day on all kinds of levels. For me, people marvel at how I stay calm and focused in the midst of accomplishing so much, and this is my secret.

Cons

I was surprised it cost a little more than other apps and services, but well worth it. I can use it across platforms on all my devices including PC, and stay up to date everywhere at once. But it is more expensive than some lesser products. I think you get what you pay for with this one.

Powerful and Versatile Task Management

I use OmniFocus for ever single thing I need to take action on. From personal projects and errands with a clearly-defined end point, to routines that repeat at various intervals, I use OmniFocus to remind myself what I need to do now, what’s coming up in the near future, and what long-range plans and ideas I have percolating in the back burner. Tony Stark has Jarvis. I have OmniFocus.

Pros

Omnifocus allows me to structure my tasks and projects virtually any way I want and then filter them so that I only have to see what I want to see, when I want to see it. This cuts down on the confusion and overwhelm and has made me a much more productive human being.

Cons

I honestly have no complaints. However, I do have a couple of caveats. 1) There is a learning curve. As with any application that offers so much power and flexibility, OmniFocus is more complex than one might expect at first. 2) You need to have your own task management system. Omnifocus was originally designed as an implementation of David Allen’s Getting Things Done system and it still works beautifully for that. Changes over the past few years (most notably replacing Allen’s “contexts” with “tags”) have opened up ways of breaking out of the strictly GTD framework. But however you choose to organize your life is up to you and OmniFocus will only ALLOW you to do it. TL;DR OmniFocus is an exceptional tool to help you sort yourself out. But you have to do the work.

Eddie

I abandoned it because there was too much maintenance, tagging, and clicking. Even my friends who recommended OmniFocus abandoned it for the Tasks App in the iPhone after only a few months, and now I use Google Keep instead because it integrates my work to do list with my personal lists well. Now with the proliferation of Amazon Echo (Alexa) you can add things to the Alexa to-do list by voice, so you don't want to have to go and type into OmniFocus when you can just now add tasks by voice

Pros

A number of features that allow you to sort tasks and arrange them in a multitude of sophisticated ways, so you can organize tasks in ways not possible through a simple to-do list.

Cons

To keep up with the best and most unique features of the platform requires so much work on tagging and organizing that everyone I know who used it just went back to simple to do list apps. After a while you want something quick and easy that you can jot down, and there are so many free solutions out there that are better integrated into your life.

Reasons for choosing OmniFocus

Greater amount of functionality and classifying/organization of tasks

Reasons for switching to OmniFocus

Needed more simplicity in list creation, paying for a new more complex product is actually not necessary for most people.

Margurite

Literally Runs My Life, People

Overall, I would say that Omni is the tool I use the most both professionally and personally. It is truly a catchall where I can store professional and personal tasks and projects, where I forecast them out, and where I can perform easy reviews to see where I am stalling and what I need to be working on. It has been invaluable in my professional growth and is definitely credited with my success.

Pros

I love OmniFocus. Seriously. I would be more likely to ask what I DON'T like about it, because I like basically everything. I love the fact that I can set up projects and group them any way I want. I love that I can run simultaneous projects and concurrent tasks, or make it so one task becomes due once I complete a different one. I love that I can sync Omni with my cell phone so reminders show up in my Omni inbox. I love that I can email tasks to my inbox. I love that I can have task reminders pop up based on date, time, deferred time, location. I love that it quite succinctly puts GTD into effect. Trusted system? Check. Catchall? Check.

Cons

It's only for Mac, which is a bit of a pain because I'd love to have it available for PC so I could use it across any platform. How nice would that be? I also don't love the iOS app - it's cumbersome and involves too many taps to make it really useful for people looking not to waste time.

Best personal task / GTD manager if you are full into Apple ecosystem

Pros

It is not more than a task manager for macOS and iOS, but it’s built in its own mindset. People either love it or don’t understand it. It was originally the first application that was officially GTD® “acknowledged” (not certified because there is not such thing). If you are into GTD, there are some little gems that are difficult to find in other softwares: - Defer date: action is unavailable until then - Review perspective: a view specifically to make the “weekly review” easier, it lets you go through every project to review its associate actions - Review every date: if you are an advanced practitioner, there will be projects that you want to review more often; you can set some projects to be reviewed daily while you can review others weekly - Specific views to detect stalled projects - Powerful configurable views

Cons

If you have an Android phone you can have a hard time accessing your info. There is no official Android app (and probably will never be). Since version 3, OmniGroup is building an “emergency” web access to your lists, for those users who have macOS at home but Windows at work, and it works on Android too. It’s not the most usable interface but can save your day.

Industry: Graphic Design

The Task Manager That Will Save Your Life

Pros

As a graphic designer working with multiple clients at any given moment, OmniFocus helps me stay organized and focused on the most important things. It is incredibly powerful and customizable, allowing me to adapt it to the way I work instead of the other way around.

Cons

Even though I'm very familiar with the software now, there was a little bit of learning curve when I first started. Because it's so customizable and adaptable to your needs, there's no right way of doing things. I wish I would have figured that out sooner!