Browse Pendo Reviews

Massimo from BEE by MailUp Group

Combines good product analytics with in-app guides and NPS tracking. And that's killer.

We now use it across several products in the MailUp Group (https://mailupgroup.com). For example, beyond using it for product analytics, we were able to stop using other applications for both in-app guides and NPS tracking, and we now use Pendo for that both in MailUp (https://www.mailup.com) and BEE Pro (https://beefree.io). It's certainly not inexpensive, but it gives the Product and Product Marketing teams tools that are crucial to their work. So, money well spent in my view.

Pros

What's unique and really useful about Pendo is that it combines product analytics, in-app guides & Net Promoter Score tracking, all under one roof. This allows you to show custom messages just to certain audiences (e.g. I see that some customers did not yet try feature ABC, so I show them a Guide to trigger adoption), and see NPS scores for different segments of users (e.g. what's the NPS for customers that never use feature ABC? What's the score for those that use feature ABC all the time?). That provides incredible insights.

Cons

First of all let me say that the company has come a long way. Pendo is growing a ton and it shows. They're constantly improving the platform, so we're confident that flaws will be corrected over time. That said, in our experience setting things up takes some time (and the concept of "Feature" is not immediately clear to newcomers: it actually means "UI element"), and until recently there were some annoying productivity issues (e.g. you could not quickly clone a segment, resulting in potentially lots of repeat tasks just to create two similar segment of users: now this has been resolved!). Improvements still need to be made for multi-language applications (e.g. different Guides for different users that speak different languages).

Chris from Zellis

Great product

Very good. The team were highly attentive and supportive. Has been a really enjoyable project getting this set up and running with benefits almost immediately.

Pros

It is a significant investment, but so many benefits, it is worth it. The software is very easy to integrate with (for standard web apps) to start getting analytics immediately but you do need a role that focuses on this as their day job to drive the most value from it. The guides are easy to set up and flexible too with lots of templates to help get you started quickly. Having worked in product management for over 25 years the discovery of Pendo was a godsend! Wish had discovered it years before.

Cons

Works well for standard web apps. If your app doesn't change URL for each page you visit then there may be issues tracking at volume. Not insurmountable but needs more time, thought.

Reasons for Choosing Pendo

Better interface, so easy to get up and running. Seemed to give us out of the box what we were looking for. Price - still more than we'd expected but competitive against others.

Ike from Instructure

Shop around

I've used Pendo a couple times over the period of roughly a year. Both of the time that we tried to deploy an NPS survey on our product we had some significant bugs. The first, we had a Opt Out list that some of our admins requested to be on (they didn't want to receive the survey). Pendo experienced a bug in which our survey in fact was seen by some of those accounts. This most recent time I've run across some significant bugs and pretty fundamental considerations in UI. Take for instance that Pendo provides no help in the UI to help guide you in whether you are actually selecting the right account to pool into a segment to target or exclude. You have to pretty much get the account character for character exact to how Pendo has in the system. When I try to export the list of accounts from Pendo, modify the list to remove or add accounts and reimport, Pendo fails on any accounts that have a comma in the title (like Company, LLC or Org, Inc.). Also our survey just decided to not appear out of the blue. Luckily I've jumped in to check our survey frequently and discovered this was the case. I can't be confident that when I deploy something to our end users that Pendo will behave appropriately. Consider another solution with better history and size.

Pros

The UI is modern and appealing

Cons

The software is inconsistent, buggy and unpredictable.

A great solution I recommend for marketing teams

The overall experience has been very positive in helping with enhancing the consumer web experience and helping to provide a lot of useful data around the effectiveness of digital guides and resources as well as general content and landing pages built on our web content management platform. It has met our teams needs and has made a positive impact on how we analyze and view results of programs that are launched and delivered through the website.

Pros

I really like that Pendo has great out of the box API integrations that has been helpful for creating and publishing interactive digital guides and materials for our customers, which really enhances the digital content delivery experience and overall web experience.

Cons

The process of implementing advanced web analytics tracking and advanced heat map reporting had been initially challenging and time consuming for our team to figure out all of the intricacies and steps involved to set up a deploy from the get go.

Danielle from Confiant

Love having Pendo for analytics AND product feedback. Game changer

Pros

I couldn't live without Pendo Feedback now that I've been using it. It makes collecting and organizing product feedback and feature requests so easy and I love how visible it is to the whole organization. I'm the only Product Manager at our company so having tools to help automate and organize product requests for all of our products is a life saver. I also really appreciate how easy it was to setup usage analytics and how little engineering effort it took. Since it has been setup, I haven't needed engineering for anything related Pendo and can do everything on my own.

Cons

No complaints or major issues with their analytics or feedback products.

Reasons for Choosing Pendo

Pendo was very responsive. At the time we were only looking at analytics. With Pendo Feedback now available, it's even more of a no brainer. Pendo provides everything I need to be successful with regards to usage analytics and product feedback.

Deidre from Insperity

Pendo Brings the Insights

Pendo has been fantastic for us. Within just a few months from implementation, we've been able to gather information on our users' behavior that we've never had before. Gaining this insight has opened our eyes to so many more questions and opportunities for our company to grow and thrive.

Pros

This software is incredibly robust and easy to use. Usually you have to trade one for the other, but not with Pendo. I am able to easily get behavioral analytics as well as launch in-app guidance with the click of a button!

Cons

We are a multi-app/single platform company, so some of the features that are geared towards single-app don't work out of the box for us. However, Pendo support and Pendo pro-services teams have been AMAZING and have found ways to accommodate my needs every time.

Reasons for Choosing Pendo

Pendo gave us the in-app engagement that we wanted as well as the behavioral analytics in a one-stop shop, and their implementation was much more suited for our software infrastructure.

Alan from GetAccept

NPS, Guides, Feature Releases

I have enjoyed it a lot, very useful onboarding process by their CS team, the guides are intuitive to create, and we have seen a real improvement in adaption, lowering churn and increasing "no touch" sales

Pros

My favorite things about Pendo is creating interactive guides to help people understand how to use our product. This onboarding helps drive a lot of "no touch" sales and the guides are intuitive to create. The NPS is also great to get a status quo on how our users are enjoying the product.

Cons

I wish it was a bit easier to navigate the analytics of the guides. It is also tough to keep the guides active and working properly when you are releasing new features in your product, which skews the analytics if one guide step does not show and stops the guide.

Reasons for Choosing Pendo

We had used it previously in the past and saw the value in it.

Reasons for Switching to Pendo

The ability to have analytics and guides in the same tool. Appcues, at the time, made you integrate with another analytics tools, while this feature is included in Pendo.

Josh from Bandwidth

Used at Multiple Companies / Highly Recommend

Pros

Pendo is a great tool. It is easy to use and helps executives start tracking the right metrics (instead of guessing at what is important). It also scales your support organization with automated onboarding and educational opportunities for users.

Cons

Sometimes the reports bug-out, but the support team is quick to respond. Additionally, there is no way to communicate with users OUTSIDE your application ecosystem (i.e. email). If a user isn't engaged with your software, you have to go into a different system in order to get re-engagement.

Reasons for Choosing Pendo

Pendo is all-around the better tool. It is easier to implement, focuses on metrics-first, and is a consolidated platform (competitors are a hodge-podge of solutions).

Powerful!

I wasn't initially involved in setting this up, so I was super hesitate when the team said the NPS tool was going to change. I couldn't be happier - this is a powerful tool!

Pros

I use the NPS feature of Pendo daily. The rest of my team uses this tool for our onboarding. We recently moved from Delighted to Pendo and I couldn't be happier! Easy to see our NPS score change over a set period of time, as well as see users comments and score.

Cons

So I only use the one feature while my team makes full use of the rest of the tool. There are really no negatives other than it's overwhelming at first as there are so many useful features. Take time to learn so you can get the most from Pendo.

Reasons for Switching to Pendo

If I can comment for the rest of my team who were using Appcues, it was really buggy to a point where we were literally praying nothing would break every day! Pendo is stable and has made everyone SO much happier!

Elizabeth from ESG

This is instrumental for setting up your CS organization

Overall, I am happy with Pendo. It has enabled us to scale and get better customer data.

Pros

Pendo is a fantastic tool to understand how your users are interacting with your product. I like the ability to track clickable elements and page visits within our tool. I like being able to build a resource center and construct helpful in-app guides.

Cons

If your application is built in odd ways (as ours is), it can be hard to get guides to deploy correctly. Pendo also has a pooled CS model, which can be frustrating.

Drew from Namely

An incredibly valuable product with powerful applications

Overall, our experience with Pendo has been phenomenal. They've helped us increase product adoption through improved communication methods, manage and analyze NPS, and track user behavior with greater specificity than we could previously. It's a powerful, comprehensive tool. Some specific features in Pendo can be somewhat complicated to learn but once you get the hang of them it's not bad. Sometimes Support doesn't have the answers immediately but they always work diligently to resolve any issues quickly. While much of the tool is intuitive to non-engineers, having a basic handle on CSS and JS is beneficial, as is knowing how to interact with the API.

Pros

In terms of providing user behavior/engagement data—Pendo is unparalleled. We get so many insights into how our clients use our Product which can be applied during discovery and engineering and factor into our release strategy. It allows us to communicate with our clients in-app in strategic and sophisticated ways and with results far beyond what we get through email. Its NPS tool is worth the cost of the application alone.

Cons

While a lot of stuff works intuitively out of the box, there's a slight learning curve with a number of Pendo features. There are many steps to building a guide, and the location of specific features/guide settings within the UI isn't always straightforward (some things a user might think fall under "guide activation", for example, are not set in the "guide activation" section). Additionally, having a basic knowledge of CSS and JS is beneficial. If you don't have it, you may find you regularly have to engage with engineers at your company to tag features and pages correctly, especially if your app uses unique instances (or sites) per client. Ditto for testing guide activation off of features that don't employ the same CSS across all versions of your app. If you want to track clicks to a button or link in a guide you've created, this is not tracked automatically— there's kind of a backwards way you have to tag it as a feature. Some data that is tracked (time stamps of when a feature is interacted with) can only be surfaced via the API.

Matt from EnergyPrint

Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Still learning, but loving it

We jumped into investing the use of the Pendo platform believing it would help us better understand our customers and raise our engagement with them. We've been very please with the ability to do that as well as enhance the experience of our application to our customers and customize communications and interactions that have never been possible in our software.

Pros

Even before the software, I've been very impressed by Pendo's customer support model. The proactive interaction we received in onboarding and ongoing support has been something I've consistently referred back to our own client services team as a model for how things are done. They have multiple team members accountable to different actions/experiences with us and they do it in a fluid fashion where it never feels like anyone drops the ball. As for the software, I pull up our dashboard every morning and look at our customer interaction from the day before. Its very simple to follow individual customer behavior as well as overall trends. Per the recommendation of their onboarding team, I and 2 other team members sit down weekly for a Pendo meeting to talk about how we are using the data to further our company and what our next initiatives are Pendo also integrates well with both Salesforce and Tableau, 2 other platforms we use extensively. Some of the visualizations that lack in the application, we can customize to our needs using Tableau

Cons

There are some small quirks that we haven't worked our way around yet. We get a lot of community feedback from the Pendomonium Slack channel, but sometimes us and others in that community feel like we are trying to group solve problems rather than Pendo coming out with a simple solution.

Michael from Q2ebanking

Great analytics with in-app messaging to help increase the user experience.

Insights on our applications on where to invest resources.

Pros

Retroactive analytics is big for me considering I struggle with tagging all products across the enterprise. This feature allows me to tag things on my schedule. In most cases, coding is not required to tag my applications for Pendo to start tracking. I simply use their point and click tagging feature, and tagging can be done in no time. There are times that I need to add custom code due to the framework of my app, but Pendo's support does a great job helping me with that. User Path Analysis gives me insight on where the enduser is going once they enter our application. This helps our Product team focus on enhancements and bugs where our endusers spend most of their time. In-App messaging (Guides) allow me to communicate with my customers, informing them of upcoming code releases or where to find release notes. By leveraging the Guides, I can target certain segmentations and push surveys, polls, or other important information to help provide two way communication with the enduser.

Cons

Even though Pendo provides some great reports, I wish their were more ways to visualize the data that's collected. Cohorts and other analytic reporting is light in the app. I would love to see the ability to give my customers access to Pendo and provision this access to view only their analytics and their guides. I hope to see this soon in the app.

Stephanie from Healthicity

Valuable Insights!

From a product perspective, we have gained so much insight into our customers and how they are using our products. We can identify at-risk customers easily and work to get them back on track. Additionally, we recently purchased and implemented the new Feedback module which is going to allow us to centralize all enhancement requests and finally have a data informed product roadmap. We derive a ton of value with this product and it is truly changing the way we do business.

Pros

We love all the data we have gained about our users and have a much stronger understanding of what they do within our applications. In addition, Pendo has made communication with our customers really easy, especially in times of crisis. I also feel as though we are arming our ENTIRE organization with information they need to do their job. All functions within our organization derive value from this platform and that isn't easy to achieve! Updates are also released regularly which tells me this is an organization that is dedicated to their customers.

Cons

I think with such an amazing platform, it can sometimes feel overwhelming to get up to speed on all the things we could be doing with the software.

Chase from Bandwidth, Inc.

Pendo guides are like having an expert train you through every step.

A few years ago we identified a scaling challenge to onboard customers of all sizes and complexities at a faster rate and volume. Our customer’s expectations were that they should be able to self-service, to log in and figure out their set-up and get onboarded quickly and painlessly. This was at a time where a lot of our processes were manual and to that end, we required that the Implementation team provide the onboarding contact with a one-hour portal training. To fix this, we created customized onboarding guides using Pendo and grew our self-service offerings in a way so that we did not lose the human connection that our customers value throughout onboarding and beyond.

Pros

We rely heavily on Pendo's Guide feature. Our onboarding guides are a customized and prescriptive list of tasks that are necessary for a user to complete in order to begin using their Bandwidth account. Our customers love that these embedded guides prompt them through the actual processes they perform in the Bandwidth Dashboard. It’s like having an expert train you through every step.

Cons

We wish that Pendo allowed for non-linear guides. It's often difficult to ensure that a user clicks the intended target element so that the guide progresses. I'd love to have the ability to account for a user's natural curiosity and allow them to explore more without losing their guide in the process.

I've been looking for a real solution to my User Behavior Analytics Problem

My experience with Pendo over the past year has been excellent, from initial discussions, implementation and support, Pendo has been great. Big shout out to the team at Pendo all have been very supportive and patient.

Pros

Pendo is built for product teams and provides a real solution to what I consider User Behavior Analytics, Qualitative + Quantitative Insights. The best part its super easy to get up and going, minimizes my development and implementation efforts. I have been able to train my Product Managers and UX Designers/Researchers in how to Tag, Generate Reports in less then 1 hour. Pendo makes Analytics easy + fun which is perfect in keeping my teams engaged and using analytics to measure success with each release. Also Pendo helps us now connect a complete user journey cross devices from desktop to mobile, it has helped us drive engagement into new areas of our applications through what they call Guides, and has allowed us to easily and quickly identify problem areas by looking into the analytics and using in-app surveys to collect additional in the momement feedback.

Cons

I must say not much I do not like about the software. The pricing model which is based on monthly active users can get costly if you have millions of users, so it's not ideal for putting Pendo on your marketing or lead pages, its best used within your application after users sign in.

Jason from EROAD

Invaluable Resource

Fantastic overall-- Product is a good example of useful out of the box, but rewards time and effort you spend fitting to your company's needs.

Pros

It's incredible how useful and predictive usage metrics can be if you build your own benchmarks and follow carefully. Extremely useful for knowing which accounts/segments my team should prioritize. I can spend 5 minutes in Pendo and see which of my large Customers are not adopting a Feature I know makes them sticky/happy. From there, it's just a matter of what form my outreach takes. NPS is also slick, simple, intuitive, yet you can also customize and ensure a laser focus. Guides are awesome. They do take time to learn and get efficient at, but you get out of it what you put into it. We're seeing very good usage and feedback is extremely positive. I've met and worked with ~5 Pendo Team members and they've all been awesome! They're passionate about the Product-- when I ask a difficult or unusual question, you can tell they're curious and they care-- they don't try to give me a cookie-cutter answer-- they're thoughtful and they take the time to think it through.

Cons

There is a bit of trial and error with filters. It's easy to think you've included/excluded a segment-- careful to double check and be extremely diligent.

Yasmin from Mercer

Excellent product, absolutely recommend it

Excellent product

Pros

Track usage to know how clients are interacting with it. Ability to communicate with clients via messaging, guide center, walkthroughs Onboarding clients becomes easy with Pendo lightboxes Support team very helpful, always willing to spend time to explain how to improve usage Eliminates bothering internal developers Customized dashboards are great

Cons

New Guides list/display - hate it with a passion; preferred the older version Guides list is clunky, would prefer option to have a folder-like structure to manage Would like to see more widgets but they are open to adding them to roadmap

Usability, sales team responsiveness

Pendo does everything you could possibly want in User Engagement and Analytics! It is the best!

Fantastic sales cycle, great CSM team and communication. We were pretty much completely onboarded (self-onboarded) when we finally signed and were given an Onboarding coordinator. His sessions were useful and still added value even though we'd figured the majority of it out on our own during the sales trial period. We're full steam ahead and looking for more and more way Pendo can help us know what we didn't know.

Pros

I love Pendo. I love it so much, I asked Capterra to add it to their software list just so I could review it (and no, I don't work there). We've used Pendo for the last 10 months and it couldn't be going better. We are a SaaS company and Pendo is giving our Product, Analytics, Customer Success and Onboarding Teams insights that were not previously possible. We leverage Pendo for user engagement, onboarding (tool tips, guides, popups etc.) and analytics. It is a smooth platform with great support and it works great. Couldn't recommend it more.

Cons

It's not necessarily a knock on Pendo so much as it is a knock on the quality of the development of your own site that Pendo sits on top of. If you have some questionable code, you may have a tricky time getting the rules and feature tagging completed exactly as you'd like. It helps if you have a knowledge of HTML and CSS to get around any of these pitfalls, otherwise you'll have to work with your Dev teams to get your internal code issues sorted out so that Pendo can work properly.

Travis from METER Group Inc, USA

Increased insight into customer behabior, in-app tools to engaging with clients

Everything from the onboarding to deployment was very easy. The hardest part to learn was the feature tagging which takes more than just a little bit of programming knowledge depending on how "good" the code is in your software platform.

Pros

Resource Center feature. We use it to provide easy access to documentation, help guides, customer feedback, webinars, announcements and any other related content. We also use the in-app NPS survey tool. The data on user behavior is extremely helpful, made even more powerfull with the user segmentation since we serve multiple markets with the same product.

Cons

Because there is a lot of data it can be hard to know what you should be looking for to inform your software development decisions, but over time you will learn what is important and what is not for your specific platform.

Reasons for Choosing Pendo

We ultimately choose Pendo because we thought the analytics were the best, while other platforms either had very little or primarily focused on the in-app tools for guides. We also had another internal team that was already using Pendo for another software product, which only helped to solidify our previous decision to go with Pendo based on features.

Harry from Windsor Circle, Inc.

Great Customer Intelligence Software

Pros

The granularity of data that Pendo surfaces, and the actionability it presents to its users, is among the best I've seen in this space. It's only for lack of time that I haven't dug more into the features we have available to us. I particularly like the ability to great guided experiences that vary based on the segment the user is in. As a product manager, I often log in just to poke around the usage numbers to see if I am taken down any interesting usage paths that cause me to think more critically about why certain behaviors are being exhibited, and Pendo makes that data very accessible.

Cons

I think Pendo's usability / user interface could use some work. It has a very hierarchical UI, and it's often easy to get confused about where you are within a particular workflow and how to navigate one layer back. The guided experience creation and testing is getting better, but still has a ways to go in terms of a clean user experience. Feature tagging and page creation often takes a long time to process, and it can stall out your workflow.

Kathleen from Cincinnati Bell

Great potential as long as you know how to manage the data

We do like Pendo and can see it has great potential, but I don’t think we are utilizing it to maximize that potential...yet. We are using it primarily to walk users through new tools and features, make announcements and gauge general user activity and engagement. This is great for improving user satisfaction at a base level and understanding how the user is using our product, but I think we’ve only scratched the surface. There are advanced segmentation tools used to determine how and when content is served, and reports can be grouped by these same segmentations. I’m excited to see how we can build on what we’ve created to really put those segmentations to use and learn even more about our users’ behavior.

Pros

Pendo has allowed us to gain deeper insight into our users’ workflows within our applications without having to disrupt those workflows. Usage data is captured as users navigate the site/app/platform and that data is made available to our team to analyze in real-time. This has significantly improved how we interact with users and what content we serve them at every touchpoint.

Cons

Creating the “guides” can be a cumbersome process. There are templates, but these are fairly basic and do not cover every use case. It would be amazing if there was an advanced/expanded library (even at cost) that would allow us to ramp up more quickly. We also felt the implementation team at Pendo could have been a little more hands-on. The weekly/biweekly check-in calls are nice, but we could have really used some deep-dive/consultative help when we were new to the platform and still trying to find our bearings.

Jennifer from Weave

Highly detailed usage information and excellent in-app guidance functionality

I have truly enjoyed working with Pendo, not just the Platform, but the company. Excellent, friendly, approachable communications. Quarterly forums to share what is going on. There are so many resources to use. We have actually tried to model some of our onboarding behaviors after Pendo's onboarding process, it was that good. I have always had great experiences with asking questions of the support staff. No complaints at all.

Pros

Pendo tracks all user events, even if you don't have them tagged. Competitors do not do this. The user interface is very easy to use and customize to meet the needs of different types of users. Very easy, even for non-programming staff to use. The in-app guides are extremely helpful for user guidance and support, company announcements. The NPS poll practically runs itself for us.

Cons

Occasional difficulty tagging look-up or drop-down fields, but the support staff is excellent at helping work those things out.

Paul from Blueprint Software Systems Inc.

Wonderful Value, Somewhat Tedious UX

Great product that has some room for UX improvement, but nonetheless delivers on its core value prop.

Pros

We're able to get fantastic insights about who uses our product, why, and how. It allows us to make effective decisions on which features to dig deeper into, and which to scrap. It also gives us an effective way to deliver in-app documentation and announcements to our customers, which we leverage to educate and empower users to take full advantage of our feature set.

Cons

Some tedious UX decisions have been made. For example, if you want to change the segment of a Guide, you have to find it in the list of guides, enter a special editor that sometimes doesn't load, click into two different sections, and then you can make your change. We update our segments across our guide each release, and we release frequently, leading to lots of tedious clicking. Bulk updating segments across several guides at once would be tremendous. Setting up guides to work across multiple pages with distinct URLs is also quite painful, and could use something of an overhaul/UX redesign. We have a multitude of pages set up in our product to accommodate all the different places we'd like to place guides.

T.M. from Elsevier

Industry: Publishing

Pendo fits well even in a large organization

Overall we are VERY satisfied with Pendo. Two items that we spent a lot of time developing on our own we're quickly and easily replaced by Pendo features - inline Help tooltips and custom tutorials. We spent so much time maintaining, testing, and updating these before Pendo! Also, Pendo's usage metrics are SO much easier to access and evaluate than other tools we use at Elsevier. And the ability to view this usage by different segments is a game changer!

Pros

Before my organization purchased Pendo it was difficult if not impossible to get feedback from our users. After adoption, multiple business units are now using Pendo to survey users, advertise new features and much more. The best part is being able to share techniques across business units so users of our different products get a consistent experience.

Cons

The ability to create reports on feature, page, or guide usage could be improved. We try to gather info from these elements but the only options seem to be screenshots or accessing the limited info available in CSV download. Also, we have created several Guides that use custom javascript but there's no good documentation to help us get info on guide or step objects. We've figured most of it out on our own but it was difficult.

Isabella from Alascom

A complete product you can trust.

Pendo is being used in our organization, for a convenient objective in understanding, more than everything to know how our clients use the product that we offer to the exhibition for sale, including how we can better design the software that we currently have to improve the experience of each of the users who navigate through our digital platform, in other words similar and clearer, it should be noted that this system addresses the need to understand how the operators that we obtain on the website interact through the schedules that we have in force and in previous functionality.

Pros

Pendo provides a clean user interface to interact with, mentioning that this ensures that all data can be found quickly and efficiently, in order to reduce performance slowdown within this platform, which is quite essential for a understandable fluency, without excluding that it promotes accurate and up-to-date metrics on all the information we seek in general, for a more alternative benefit, highlighting that creating guides and surveys agrees to keep us closer to the clients that each organization acquires.

Cons

The current panel is very easy to use, however, it has a limited customization capacity, which we cannot configure the boards to our scope, much less move functions where it is most relevant, instead of adding them, the which is a quite serious problem, which requires an update for a more flexible platform, especially in terms of adapting the tools to the most conducive environment, for better development.

Ellie from SourceBreaker

A Review From A Self-Made Superuser

Pros

I love that I can accurately track NPS, feedback and ROI from my clients. I can interact with my customers without inundating their through Pendo Guides. I also love that I can create custom segments to target specific clients and isolate individual teams and users. Most of the time, I use this for reporting across individuals within an account or all of my accounts in one place. I can instantly get an accurate representation of how they are using the product and what "Good" usage looks like for a specific client. I also love the support and the interaction we get from our CSM, Mags!

Cons

I wish it was a little easier to use although I appreciate there are a lot of complex stats which are difficult to simplify. Once I know how to use it and I've grasped it, it's super easy to use but I can spend a week or so going over parts of the platform and reading support articles before I'm able to use. For example, Data Explorer. I would really love it if the support articles had more videos taking you step by step!

Breda from ZoomInfo

Invaluable Customer Marketing Tool

Pendo is a critical technology in our day-to-day tech stack. Whether we are trying to improve customer onboarding, increase user adoption of a specific feature, gather user feedback, or inform our user of an important announcement, Pendo is our go-to channel for communication. We could not reach our goals without it.

Pros

There's so much to love about Pendo! Visitor dashboards, robust functionality, user segments, and resource center are just a few of the things we love about Pendo. Additionally, their team is AWESOME and really easy to work with.

Cons

You are not able to clone guides across multiple instances, which is a bit of a pain when trying to push the same message to a few audiences. Also, I wish there were more throttling options, specifically, something more than 1/guide per day. Both fairly minor, but would be nice to have!

Reasons for Switching to Pendo

Robust features and functionality; accuracy of the reporting metrics.

Elisabeth from Species360

Pendo Feedback tool: great way to gather user feedback; allows users to prioritize their wish list

We needed a place to gather and manage user enhancement requests, and we really wanted a way for users to vote on their favorites. This product - which was Receptive and was purchased by Pendo - met that need in the best possible way. We love it!!

Pros

I love that we can choose to allow users to see how many other users have voted for their enhancement idea. But my favorite part is the "sliders" that users see when they prioritize their favorite enhancements - if they slide one up, they see the sliders on the others go down. Great way to show users that we can't do everything - we have to prioritize!

Cons

My only disappointment is that you can't easily just export the entire list of enhancement requests with the # of votes.

Elizabeth from Nelnet Business Services

Function + Form + Freedom to make it awesome

Pros

Pendo is truly out-of-the-box fantastic and allows for product teams to communicate with users plus then analyze user behavior to drive decision-making and prioritization. It's great to announce and track feature adoption, allows for just about any customization, and its interface is easy to use even if someone doesn't have a lot of coding or website building experience. Their customer service is superior, and the company is very communicative and always has great new things for us as users.

Cons

Sometimes Pendo can be tricky with older code bases or with iframes, and rarely the guide builder behaves erratically so it's hard to tell how much you've saved.

Reasons for Choosing Pendo

Pendo allows for both in-app help/messages plus the analytics, plus in-app NPS built in, plus has wonderful customer service

Andrew from Salesfusion

Great User Data & Analytics with ease

First time visitors are easily highlighted and the ability to report on various aspects is easy and intuitive. We get the added benefit of having analytics of our users , from first visit all the way through platform adoption.

Pros

The ability to collect all kinds of user application data and run reports and visualizations to quickly understand which users are in the platform and exactly what pages they are engaging in on, including duration. I have also leveraged the API connection to tie visitor reporting data to our disparate systems for better automating services. API docs were easy and useful! Account managers and support reps are incredibly amicable as well!

Cons

The support and script is very much DIY. They pass you the code and it's up to your team to ensure it's been installed correctly. We had issues with our script at one point and the support was only able to get us so far.

Tim from Sentry Data Systems

A Must Have for Every Software Vendor

Pros

Pendo really excel at their ability to flexibly tag pages and features to paint a accurate path throughout your application. It's ability to retrospectively do so is a killer feature. Also, the ability to quickly throw up highly customizable notifications/dialogs/information/tooltips has truly changed the way we engage with our users. But I could go on and on - segmentation, the resource center, NPS surveying functionality, Salesforce integration, an API, etc...

Cons

The built in reporting is a great start and has a lot of features. But improvements could be made. We do find ourselves looking to get data out to do more with it.

Anosua from Shipbob Inc

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Pendo rocks!

Pendo has made my job as a product manager much easier because it helps lead with data, understand user journey through our platform and guide users in-app with minimal efforts!

Pros

Pendo has been incredibly helpful in uncovering insights regarding our platform users. The best things about Pendo has been - 1. Ease of implementation - It was very simple to deploy Pendo on our platform and start using the product 2. Ease of use - the application is super easy to understand and use 3. Features - the features that Pendo offers - user analytics, easy to build guides for users, NPS management - are the best tools for a product manager to really understand user behavior 4. Support - Pendo provides great support for any questions/issues with a good turnaround time.

Cons

The new visual designer is awesome but can be a little glitchy.

Danesh from Dude Solutions

True analytics for product managers

Pros

I really like the way it seamlessly integrates with our applications. Once integrated, it can pull analytics even if you do tag the pages/features at a later date, back in time to the original point of integration. I also find the segmentation framework where one can enhance the user identification data, integrate with salesforce information and more very valuable and insightful. Really very useful to be able to track usage and non-usage by persona and push out guides and surveys too.

Cons

Limited configurability and customization for personalization across multiple product managers who track and manage a software multiple modules.

Monisha from BrandVerity

Analytics data geared towards product teams

For a product manager audience, Pendo is an excellent tool. Great for tracking product engagement, new feature adoption, and understanding overall behavior of your customer base.

Pros

Lots of potential for segmentation and reporting, allows for in-app messaging and guides to communicate information to customers, which has been great for launching new features or announcements. NPS automation has been really useful as well. Customer support has been great the couple times it's been needed. Overall very instrumental to our team in tracking engagement and customer health.

Cons

I believe Salesforce integration is an additional cost which is not ideal. Individual user data showing in-app activity doesn't have the best visual presentation, a bit clunky to interpret. App layout could be a bit more intuitive.

A nice tool for analytics and in app notification

Data is necessary to make any decision. Pendo gives us an insight to our user base and allows us to iterate faster.

Pros

Pendo is an easy app to dive into. There are a lot of great features. I like the in app notifications, NPS and retroactively look at stats on an item I just tagged. What I really like the most is that you can tell Pendo is dedicated to constantly improving the product. They are constantly improving that app and functionality.

Cons

If you are going to use the notification or NPS feature, you need to have some basic HTML/CSS skills to get you notifications to look proper in your app. I have a few other small gripes, but for the most part it is an app that is constantly improving, so most of my minor problems just disappear over time.

Danny from SalesWise, Inc.

Pendo is instrumental to my day to day

Pros

There's a lot to like about Pendo. Currently, we're only using the Guides to let folks know about upcoming maintenance and releases with the occasional marketing guide. That said, we're planning on leveraging Pendo even more to boost our product marketing practices with more feature tips, etc. The usage data is really helpful and being able to automatically run NPS surveys is great. There's also a ton of functionality in terms of Trends, Behaviors, Retention.

Cons

I don't really have many complaints with Pendo. The rollout of the new visual editor hasn't been seamless, but it's a huge change so some bumps are to be expected. I'd like some more options for data visualizations, but it's not a deal breaker.

Corey from LexisNexis Risk Solutions

Pending for tracking and surveys

Overall, it's been a solid product. We compared it to Adobe Web Analytics and found both to be useful, in different ways. The ability to create and execute surveys within a page is the best part of the software.

Pros

We use this software mainly for page tracking and survey implementation. It's intuitive and easy to use.

Cons

It's not as granular as I'd hoped it would be in its metrics. What it lacks in depth, it makes up for with style.

David from Teradata

Empowerment made Easy

Fantastic. Customer support has always been outstanding. The application has always been easy to use, but the rate at which new features are released, and the power of those features, has been outstanding.

Pros

Deploying the software was always pretty easy, but once deployed, it gave us the ability to provide on-line guidance to our user base and dramatically reduce our support efforts. That was important because we are such a small team (3 people) supporting the system and infrastructure.

Cons

Early on, we had some x-frames issues. That was the only problem we ever had.

n/a

Awesome product that produces great in-app help and user analytics for every team in our company.

In-app help that doesn't require dev team time and includes flexibility when it comes to the look, feel, and experience of the help. User analytics that are easy to set up.

Pros

I love the flexibility of the product combined with the customer support and community that help inspire and create the in-app help I'm working on for my company. Plus, I only had to request a few minutes of my dev team's time to get up and running. From there on out, I'm able to take control of how, when, and where my in-app help displays. The depth and breadth of the user analytics we're able to pull out of Pendo help every team in our company from marketing to design to customer support.

Cons

It's easy to get started, but you realize very quickly that HTML/CSS/Javascript experience is needed to do anything more complex (at least until they come out with new features, which they seem to do very regularly and with customer input).

Matthew from Dispatch

The Pendo Platform

Pros

I really like all of the data I can get on our users. It helps us make informed decisions about the product. Also I really enjoy being able to survey users in different segments to better understand how different people use our product.

Cons

The software can be clunky and annoying to use at times. If you want to change between multiple menus say from visitor reports and go to a guide you made it requires more than 5 clicks. This is very annoying for people who don't use the software every day. They end up just hunting around for the feature they need.

Heather from Salesforce

Such a plus for Product Managers

We've used it for product analytics which has helped direct investment in the platform. We are beginning to use it more for driving adoption and deflecting cases by offering more contextual information to customers in places where Pendo has helped us determine they get stuck.

Pros

I love that Pendo gives me the opportunity to do so many important tasks that I would otherwise need development resources to accomplish. It helps me make better product decisions and stronger product releases.

Cons

I'd like to see segment management elevated. It's easy to lose track of segments across large teams and it's hard to test what particular users will see. This is important both when you have a lot of potential guides that a given user would see or when you have certain users who you want to make sure are NOT seeing certain guides. I always feel a little unsure what will happen. Additionally, I would like segment rules to be reusable because I sometimes set up the same segment rules over and over again.

Good analytics but some leg lifting required

Overall we found Pendo to have a great feature set for the price. When set up properly, which admittedly did take some work, we found it produced really great, actual operational insights about our software.

Pros

Implementation was very easy, Pendo provides you with a javascript snippit which a developer inserts into an existing web app, typically in the header or footer. Extra data can be added just by modifying some code. We had a proof of concept up and running within hours and deployed to production within weeks. Once up and running, Pendo provides a large number of ways to slice and dice data and it's all very self explanatory, for the most part.

Cons

Like many of these products, the data that comes out of it is only as good as what goes in.. i.e. don't just think you will install the snippit and call it a day. On the Pendo portal, customization is required, such as "tagging" pages, grouping pages together (i.e. a series of pages that may have different parameters or query strings will appear to Pendo as different pages, and this grouping needs to happen before data can be interpreted correctly. The original thought was that the end user (product manager) would do this customization but ultimately developers did it.

We've rolled out Pendo quickly and have already received valuable product insights.

Pendo helps us understand and educate our customers. It helps us analyze our customers better than any analytics platform on the market - it's far superior to Google Analytics or trawling through Kibana logs. It helps us educate our customer and solve the new user experience problem, unlike any other software on the market. It's exactly the right solution for enterprise SaaS products with a free trial.

Pros

Pendo was super-simple to setup, gave us great analytics and data on our customer behavior, confirmed suspicions we had about our product, dispelled myths and tribal knowledge we shouldn't have believed in, and is allowing us to build targeted help within our product that's context sensitive... all without making any code changes whatsoever. It's empowered our product management group and UX group, and I couldn't ask for more. I will use Pendo on every product I ever release from now on. Way to go, team!

Cons

The segmentation features are fantastic, but it'd be nice to have a bit more control over grouping of multiple accounts into customers or "organizations" since we sell enterprise SaaS. It'd be nice also to have more control over filtering out or segmenting internal user activity vs. external - filtering by IP is tricky when staff work from home.

Pendo is a Lifesaver

The platform has been great. While we have experienced a few bumps in the road, theres always been workarounds and solutions that solve our problems.

Pros

Pendo allows me to easily set up guides or walkthroughs in my product. The best part is that it leaves a lot of room to start small and grow.

Cons

One of our selling points was that it required low development effort and could be managed by a non-developer. While yes, this is true, it can require someone with front-end experience to code a few walk through steps and someone with back-end experience to send additional data to pendo for use with segmentation and analytics.

Reasons for Choosing Pendo

Features. Pendo was already feature-rich, while it's competitors were still "getting there."

Melanie from Magnus Health

Data, Data -- Everywhere!!

Insights, Data, Client Outreach, Client Interaction!! You name it, it's probably improved since pendo! We've started implementing our direct NPS scores and we've been able to integrate it with our CRM.

Pros

Implementation was simple, they were spot on for that! On the backend, it wasn't a crazy project, which for the results is outstanding. Once you learn the ropes it is easy to navigate, locate, search, and extract the metrics you need.

Cons

There are some integration related issues that are a little more complicated to tell 'what went wrong' especially if you aren't code/integration savvy. I wish there was a way to implement team based dashboards, standard company based dashboard (or higher level overview), and then custom dashboards which you can save and name instantly. Ideally, I'd like to be able to have numerous dashboards for specific goals(NPS)/insights(Usage)

Useful Add-On For our Website

Great product layer to help give you objective details about the end user usage of your product.

Pros

We really love the usage data we get from Pendo. It helps to identify sore spots in our interface that may incite frustration from our clients, and is also equally useful in setting up reviews, announcements, and alerts.

Cons

It is a large program that will take some tinkering to become anywhere useful let alone proficient, but with such a large platform that is to be expected.

Liz from Marketo

Pendo is an analytics tool for both product and business

Pros

This is such an easy to use application it makes most other software look and feel unwieldy. Implementation is quick, as far as the software side goes. Tagging and naming pages and features is simple. Mapping funnels and paths is simple. Following individual user behavior or account behavior is simple.

Cons

It can still be a little tricky to test Guides (their engineering-less pop ups that anybody can design and implement) in sandbox environments, at least in my experience. Depending on how your dummy data is set up, it can be difficult to actually test targeted guides to be sure they're going to show up to specific audience.

Good tracking, but you get what you set up

Outputs depend greatly on the familiarity of those setting up the page/feature tags and segments. It can be cleaned up later, but it's not a trivial effort to set up, and little happens automatically.

Pros

Tracking snippet is fast to install. For a SaaS solution, it starts logging events right away, regardless of whether a page or feature is tagged. This helps later, new tags retroactively apply based on logs.

Cons

Setup was very tedious, each page and feature needed to be tagged individually. Some features like app filters or groups didn't work for all of our solutions, leading to redundant naming conventions.

Reasons for Switching to Pendo

Shifted from free solution to enterprise; swayed by Pendo sales

Rene from Agile Transformation

Critical Info for Product Managers and Leaders

It was easy to instrument our application via a code snippet in the header and we were up and running very quickly.

Pros

It provides in-depth information about how users are using our software as well as NPS information and guides. Information for newly tagged pages/features is available retroactively even for the time when the tagging took place.

Cons

The dashboard is great, but lacking the ability to drill into the information. Blacklisted servers still ask users for NPS ratings.