• Pros

• "Extremely easy to set up. Runs in the background with no issues and sends great reports."

• "It helped me in managing my time and properly allocating the hours in my day. Rescue time is just so amazing that it showed me where i was spending much of my time on."

• "I like how you can use it across devices. It helps to keep track of how I spend my time. My boss and I used it and shared our reports, it worked well."

• Cons

• "The only thing I am missing is the possibility​ to assign work to projects and, clients. It would make it perfect! "

• "As a marketer, spending time on Facebook or Youtube looks like time-wasted, but it is actually often work. I wonder if there is a way to configure it to be more useful to marketers. "

• "Not much to not like, it does what it says it does. Would like more tools to improve productivity during the day as RescueTime is so invisible you forget its running."

Browse RescueTime Reviews

Nicolet from Picture & Space

Industry: Photography

The only time management app that helps me take control of my time

I've spent significantly less time on social media since I implemented RescueTime in my system and, I now have a very detailed insight on how much time I spend on productive time. RescueTime helps me focus. I cannot recommend RescueTime enough.​

Pros

Even though it is not a time tracker in the sense of providing info to clients, I've chosen RescueTime over all other time management software. Why? Because it helps me focus, and it gives me a clear insight into how I spend my time, both online and offline. The best part: I hardly need to fill in anything, the app provides all the details of sites and apps I use on my computer and, my phone. It takes some time, in the beginning, to set things up; you have to teach the app what you consider very productive, productive, neutral, distractive, or very distractive. But, then, it gives a clear overview of your productivity on a daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly basis. As a pro-subscriber, I can also fill in time I did not spend on my computer. ​ Besides: In RescueTime,​ I can set focus time; After spending more than one hour on distracting time during work hours, ​the app blocks all websites and apps I consider distracting.

Reasons for Choosing RescueTime

To me, it is more important to know how I spend my time than to track time I use on client work.

Bottom-Up Objectivity Yields No-brainer Accountability

About 4 years into my business I took on outside investors. Both as a good-faith external gesture as well as internally-focused improvement, undertook a whole series of policy and operational changes to increase transparency and allow people to hold themselves accountable. One small part of these efforts was rescuetime, which 10 years later is ironically is the only single-decision that was 100% correct then and now. We use their data as inputs to all sorts of other business processes, both weekly and for year-end reviews. I recommend it constantly, it truly is a no-brainer because as long as you can install software and spend more than a couple hours a day on computers/phones, you will get value out of it... not just immediately but over time.

Pros

No brainer- install it with no configuration, and you instantly get personalized and valuable weekly reports. Works on windows/mac/linux/android/iphone so can be used by anyone in company or any external team. Excellent user-interface, very easy to customize to each user's specific goals if they choose to do so.

Cons

The phone-based apps didn't seem to automatically categorize calls w/known contacts. Sometimes if a given site hosted applications with two different goals/intentions/categories, this at minimum much trickier to track properly and

Reasons for Choosing RescueTime

Rescuetime seemed like the highest quality product, better looking and had best compromise between it's free and paid plans (we use both). Probably most importantly, it does the most out of the box. We have enough things we ask employees and consultants to do, and 100% objective time tracking is always going to be valuable even if other methods are used in parallel.

The Best Productivity Tracker

RescueTime is a great tool and a very necessary one to automatically measure and monitor how and what you spend your time on

Pros

RescueTime is a very straightforward and easy to use time tracker as you just download the time tracking app onto your laptop or android device and it does the rest. It fits in well with our current requirement as it silently and automatically records time spent on each application in the background. The feature that we enjoyed the most is the fact that you get to see a complete picture of your productive and non productive time, this is all categorised automatically and it is very accurate. In addition, you get a dashboard online for you to visualise your activity. It greatly helped us to improve how we spent our time.

Cons

As an improvement, a feature that might be required is one to categorise certain activities viewed as non productive as productive. Additionally, support to integrate the logged hours with a billing tool will be very handy

Slightly underwhelming

I am currently trying to use rescue time for personal time trend awareness, but it seems to be more work and time spent to set up and maintain for my purposes than it saves me. I think this tool would be better if individual activities could be labelled as productive or otherwise, without needing to create a new category to apply it differently from similar tasks that are on the opposite end of the productivity spectrum. For instance, facebook should generally be a distraction, but if you use LinkedIn or other professional social media on a regular basis, it shouldn't require you to create a special setup just to have that one app or website treated as productive time without labeling facebook as the same importance. Seems like an oversight to me, but perhaps I just needed to use the category system more readily.

Pros

This software does pick up a lot of useful data, and allows you to quickly see what things you do on the computer and how the trends flow during your day or week. There is a lot of good information, simple to install and use generally, and overall a decent experience.

Cons

I dislike the fact that you can't really customize things without lots of tedium in the categories and other areas. Also, the ability to change tracked sections of the day or week are somewhat limited; there are only one or two generic filters for declaring which days and hours to run the tracking. I have noticed that the categories are geared mostly toward organizations more than individuals. I have realized that if I customize categories to make a certain activity productive time instead of distracted time, it won't let me change just that one activity to be productive without bringing the entire category along with it.

Rescue your days and weeks from procastinating (too much)

A good tool to breakdown and understand your time online and offline on the devices, a great tool to have if you want to be more productive and healthier as well.

Pros

Rescue TIme is a great tool for those concerned on how are they spending their time online. Rescue Time lets you record precisely how much time you spent and where, giving you a real (often shocking) insight on what you were doing. This not only concerns people that wants to be more productive but also people that want to stay away from using too much their phones. In general RescueTime is simple and their free version does well for my needs. Rescue Time is simple to use, you don't have to do anything, just pretend nobody is watching and check your reports to see what's going on.

Cons

Their GUI could use some improving, the overall design of the websites are apps is a bit outdated and for such a popular service I would expect a better design. Maybe it's on the way. Generally speaking I am happy with Rescue Time and I don't see major issues using it.

Aaron from Masai Tech

Frictionaless Time Tracking

I primarily use it to understand and track my own efficiency and make sure that what I am actually doing aligns with my strategic and operational directives.

Pros

It works in the background, I don't need to remember to turn it on or off. No need to disposition time regularly so it doesn't interfere with organic or non-linear workflows. I can go back and disposition all at once at the end of the day or very few days.

Cons

Update frequency seems high and sometimes the update pop-up is intrusive.

Sean from University Of Malta

Cannot recommend this enough.

This is the first thing I install in all my new machines and browsers, the information it provides is invaluable and really eye-opening, and really worth the low price-tag honestly. I really recommend this for anyone looking to improve their productivity.

Pros

The amount of information that this gathers is just mindblowing, being available on everything is just awesome. The automatic categorization for apps works most of the time. Then there are the vast amount of integrations it offers. This is the best time tracking software I have used, which just gets better with time.

Cons

Re-categorizing activities is somewhat convoluted, I've had to bookmark the page honestly so I can get to it quickly. The focus sessions are a neat feature but it needs to be more robust as it is quite easy to circumvent.

Jorgen from ClickUp Project Management

Great for staying accountable

RescueTime brings insights into how you use your time, whether it's in a productive way or not. Can shed light on just how much time you spend on your computer.

Pros

Automatic tracking of how you use your time Easy to use dashboard Great way to stay accountable with your Goals

Cons

Lack of detail in reporting (RescueTime is not a replacement for time tracking for contractors) Always on nature of recording can pose a privacy risk

Gerardo Esteban from No office location

What I like most of rescuetime is it's ability to detect when an user is not using the computer.

It was great, it solves the problem of not doing overtime or tracking extra paid time.

Pros

I like how RescueTime tracks all the apps the user has opened and use as well as the browsers links. I like it's idle time feature. And their reports and graphics.

Cons

You can't track by project and make estimations about each time-consuming project in the company. The promp ask you about some time idle is so useful but is not active by default.

Helpful for time tracking

Signed up, set up my tracking settings (e.g. what counts as productive v. unproductive time; work hours; etc). And from there, I don't have to do anything. It tracks my productivity whenever I'm logged into my computer during the hours I set and then provides me with weekly productivity updates, broken down by category. It's easy as pie.

Pros

Works in the background without me having to think about it. Provides updates on how I've used my time.

Cons

I don't have any complaints about this software so far. Works very well and I can't think of any cons to mention.

Dan from Press Ganey Associates

Consistently great, but dangerous for managers

I've used RescueTime for years. It's the ultimate in "set and forget" software. Essentially it sits on your computer and silently watches your productivity, totaling up the time you spend doing actual work and the time you spend goofing off. At the end of the week you get a nice little email report telling you how you did. It does a great job not shaming you when you do poorly, as I have many times. When you have a really productive week, however, it rewards you by documenting that fact.

Pros

Provides a great little nudge to remind you that when you're on your computer working, you should, be, like, working... the free offering is excellent, allowing you do a semi-deep dive into your data, seeing what you're doing most and helping you improve

Cons

The software is great, and the portal too, but the thing I worry about most is this sort of thing getting in the hands of (bad) developer managers, who might use it to spy on their employees, firing the least "productive" ones. Truly, everyone needs a break now and then, so it worries me a bit that this powerful program could fall into the wrong hands. "With great power comes great responsibility", that sort of thing.. The other thing is the feature set has not changed much in recent years. Subtle improvements could go along way... for instance, I wish it could help me with is filling in my timesheet each week. Imagine if it could tell me which solutions i have open most often in VS Code, for example, and I could charge my time to each project.

Jessica from FatCat Strategies

If I wasn't so cheap, I'd pay for it

While it's not the easy user experience to figure out, it's still a really helpful tool to reconstructing a day.

Pros

It's so helpful when recreating your day. We have to log every hour we spend, so we know what's billable and what's not, and some days I'm so all over the place I forget what I've done all day, so this helps me figure it out. It's also really nice that you can set your own designations for what's "productive" and what's "distracting." For most companies, Facebook would be "very distracting," but we actually do a lot of social media work for our clients, so it can be "productive" time for us. Just nice to have that flexibility. And the weekly emails are a nice reminder about how time adds up.

Cons

For a short period of time, I was able to use the "FocusTime" feature, which was awesome. I essentially turned off your access to programs or websites that were listed as "distracting." It pretty much stopped you from being your own enemy. I wish that was still part of the free version, b/c it was very helpful. Also, it's pretty clunky getting through the report of how you spent your time. You either have to look at it by category (Very Productive, Productive, Neutral, Distracting, Very Distracting) individually, or by task (Communication, Business, etc.), there's not just a way to see a full list of everything. And navigating between the different views isn't easy, but you get the hang of it.

Vinicius from Qualyteam

Grade your productivity

It’s free, and in the first week you will see the transformation it can make at your day job. You'll see where you are wasting too much time, and what you have to cut out in order to stop losing attention on what really matters. Tip for the development team: Please do, invest in design, the product is good and affordable, a good UI/UX project can bring a great perception of value.

Pros

I was first introduced at rescue time by a work colleague, he was claiming that he could do pomodoro time, and in the end of the day he knew how much focused and productive he had been. I was curious out by this tool, so I start using it and became impressed in how simple and silent it was, it was just a icon occult in my taskbar. It demands only 3mb of pc memory and maps everything that I do. He is aware of the types of websites I'm accessing because he already has a database. However I had to edit some sites as research/work/etc. (like my company website).

Cons

The interface is ugly and outdated, but the use is so simple that maybe not the focus of development team. The information architecture and content at the dashboard page is the biggest problem, a simple redesign could do miracles.

Bryan from Velora Studios

My favorite solution for seeing where time is spent

Easiest way to track productivity and time spent across applications/categories.

Pros

Rescuetime automatically tracks and categorizes the activities of you and your team. It makes it easy to see what areas and applications you might be spending more time in than expected. The weekly report emails are great and the productivity score is a nice way to get a glance at productivity vs previous months.

Cons

I would like if there was a different way to categorize specific files from different projects into projects within rescuetime. There may be a way to make a solution like this happen with the current features, but if I could tag certain portions of time towards specific projects it would give me further insight not only on the type of work I am doing (development, communication), but into the specific project that time was spent on. This is a small niche need though and it hasn't stopped me from using Rescuetime.

Junjie from Due Pte. Ltd.

Track your productivity (or unproductivity) with email reports

Pros

RescueTime runs in the background of my computer, tracking every single minute that I spend on the computer. Because it has a huge and comprehensive database of apps and websites that it categorizes as productive or unproductive, it can automatically break down for me how much time I've spend in the day/week as productive (or not), and whether I've reached the goals that I've set up myself on the website. I love the email reports that they send to me, letting me know how much time I've actually spent on my work.

Cons

The included software on the Mac looks rudimentary, but it's not even something I have to deal with because it just runs in the background in the menu bar. It doesn't offer an option to hide the menu bar icon, so if that bothers you you'll need something like Bartender to hide it.

Michal from Travis Law Office

Industry: Law Practice

Great tool for staying productive

I have recommended this product to our attorneys. Great way to keep track of how much time you spend weekly on business related activities on your workstation.

Pros

Easy to use: RescueTime is very intuitive and easy to use. Once it is downloaded and installed, it starts automatically. Easy to customize: It just takes a few clicks to tell RescueTime which activities are productive for your business. Weekly summary report: RescueTime doesn't blow up your inbox, but rather sends a weekly summary to help you keep your time spent on business on track. Tracks the user on multiple workstations: If you use more than one workstation, RescueTime will aggregate your time. Regular, easy updates: RescueTime updates come out regularly, and take a single click. Yay! Great value for the money: I use the FREE version, and it does what I need.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. However, I have not use the paid version of RescueTime, so I don't know what features or benefits I am missing out on.

A Good Way to Get an Overview of Where your Time is Going

I keep it running in the background and it seems to work well for me. I'll continue to use it. When it has benefit to me, it's quite a help. When it doesn't, I just don't pay attention to it.

Pros

It's easy to set up and use and pretty much works on its own. Using RescueTime, you can see how much time is spent on your computer and what types of things you are doing. It also comes in handy to be able to back-track and see what you were working on when you've been lax on your time-tracking duties. It helps to retro-actively fill in timesheets.

Cons

Some of the categorization out of the box doesn't always match up to your reality; for example, it may track a task as being unproductive when, in fact, it was a productive task for you. So things that it reports need to be either reviewed or taken with a grain of salt.

Erik from Bethany Baptist Church

So that's where all my time goes ... writing software reviews.

Pros

I've been using the free version for some time now. It was really interesting at first, now I generally ignore it. But, I should probably take a look at my reports again to see how I'm doing. I'm impressed that it not only keeps track of time spent browsing different sites but time spent using local programs (Word, Excel, or even Remote Desktop, but not the specific usage on a remote computer). You can specify a category and how productive or distracting each website or program is. This is really helpful because a site could be productive for some people and distracting for others, depending on the type of work you do.

Cons

Sometimes I wish that it kept more history. I think it does if you pay for it. So, that makes sense. I just have it on my Windows desktop. I tried to add it to my android phone once and it didn't seem to work well. But, to be honest I didn't try very hard to get it setup.

Daniel from DSR Ghostwriting

Industry: Writing and Editing

Only tool that met my needs (using Linux background daemon)

Great. I've looked into all of its functionalities, including measuring how much time you spend on various websites, but I only use one very basic feature: finding out how much time I spend working per day! I added the background process for Linux Ubuntu as a startup process and the tool stays completely hidden during use (the daemon doesn't even show in the notification area). I use Zapier to push the daily hour count to a Gsheet and then email that to myself as a daily report.

Pros

After evaluating all possible time trackers for Ubuntu, RescueTime was the only product I found which would give me a simple metric which is part of my KPIs — how much time am I spending at my workstation every day during weekdays? The tool does a lot more than that, but I capture this metric and email it to myself daily thanks to a Zapier hook.

Cons

The Ubuntu GUI doesn't really exist if I remember correctly. Would be nice to have the option, although even if I did, I probably wouldn't use it.

RescueTime helps you manage the most limited resource you have.

Pros

I love that RescueTime is both easy to use, requiring very little setup, and also infinitely customizable, meaning that over time you can mold it to exactly what you want it to be doing. For instance, in tracking how productively you are using your time, it already knows that certain websites are distracting and certain ones are productive, but if your work requires you to spend some time on a specific "distracting" website, you can re-categorize it as needed to capture that.

Cons

I have very few complaints about RescueTime. I feel like it does everything I need it to do. If anything, I wish the free version had more features, but I am more than happy to pay for the premium version to get the features I need.

Kevin from Compliance Support Services Co Pty Ltd

Identify & highlight distractions

I had experienced a drop in my income as a self-employed consultant. I felt that I was always busy, but was billing less, and this software made it clear to me that I was indeed busy all day, but on many distractions that were not contributing to income or projects, but were costing time and my energy. RescueTime put me back on track, and I have stayed there for the past two years. Savings/earnings are of the order per annum, I kid you not.

Pros

This software helped me to objectively and quantitatively identify which distractions were doing most damage to my daily income. By seeing it in front of me and putting against it, I was able to instantly cut those activities out completely or minimise them.

Cons

No cons, really. The software is unobtrusive, not pushy, it just does its thing well.

Iris from 1099/W2 Contractor

The stats will surprise you

Definitely worth it.

Pros

Rescuetime has mostly helped me whittle down little time sinks that I was unaware of. For example, it turned out I spent 30 minutes a day selecting songs on iTunes; now I have a playlist on shuffle and do not actively use iTunes anymore to select my music during the work day. Rescuetime has often surprised me by showing stats being very different from how I perceived them. It can also be motivated to see a highly productive day unfolding and feeling competitive with yourself.

Cons

Currently Rescuetime cannot distinguish browser tabs in Firefox. Other apps like Timedoctor can, so I'm sure Rescuetime could fix this if they'd commit to it.

Never realized how much time I was wasting!

It's been a great way to see a true summary of how I'm spending my time and ensure that I'm being mindful of my use of the internet. The accountability makes me more productive during work hours, because I want my weekly report to be positive!

Pros

The ability to sync across multiple devices - I use it on my work laptop, my personal laptop, and my mobile phone. This gives me a much clearer idea of how I'm spending my online life. I also like the weekly email that sums up my time logged, as well as the ability to recategorize certain apps. For example, I use Twitter for work, so I don't want it to count as "very distracting."

Cons

I wish there was an easier way to note when I'm being productive vs. when I'm wasting time on the same app. Sometimes I use Instagram for work and sometimes I use it for pleasure, and there's no way I've found to differentiate the uses.

Kate from K8 Digital

Game Changing App If You Track Your Time Hourly

It's a great way for me to track my time across different computers. I use it to make sure I'm recording all of my time in my daily time sheets that I use to bill clients at the end of the month.

Pros

I really like that it's simple and efficient at tracking and grouping the time I spend online so that I can use that data to update my daily timesheets.

Cons

It would be great if it would group some of the time into more specific categories - it will just say "Adwords" and it would be great if they had the campaign number so I can see which client where I actually spent my time. That said, I use the free version so that feels like a crap compliant considering I use it all the time and it's free.

Collin from Grand Valley State University

Simple to use, takes a little bit of setup, but worth it

Good weekly reporting of time usage, with decent granularity. It's totally out of the way and does everything without me thinking about it now that I have all of my apps and regular websites categorized.

Pros

It's really easy to use and once you go through setting things up it takes no thought or effort. It just runs in the background and reports weekly. Knowing that it's running helps me stay on task.

Cons

The auto-categorization works okay, but I needed to spend a good chunk of time custom categorizing various apps and websites because it was throwing off my reporting. (But I AM glad that they at least allow you that option)

How Dare You Make Me Focus

RescueTime was great at helping me re-focus my attention when I had been spending too much time on things that didn't move me forward, I'm looking at you social media...

Pros

Oh RescueTime how I love and hate you. You make me focus when I don't want to, so I actually get stuff done. When you set up RescueTime you have to know you'll be incredibly frustrated when you're locked out of certain websites, but that's the point. It's great at helping you focus your attention where you need it to be.

Cons

It didn't work great on my phone. Usually I was able to work around it and make it to websites I had locked out during focused time. That's my own fault really though, because I should have stopped myself instead of proceeding to find a way around it.

Paulo from Education Management

Great for managing your time

Great way of making sure you're not exceeding your daily quota of distracting/non-productive apps.

Pros

RescueTime is quite complete. I like it that it also analyses the websites you use, not just the apps, and also allows you to get all information as one, that is, from your phone, personal computer and work laptop, and so on.

Cons

Managing the categories is sometimes a bit of a hassle. Sometimes you access YouTube for a legit reason during work, and sometimes you don't. And it works in a way that you just determine if a site is more or less distracting, regardless of the time.

A glance at productivity

Pros

The ease of use and automated sorting buckets make it really easy to set up. I also love how seamlessly my account works between browsers and my two different computers. It makes me not have to worry about syncing data manually to prevent double-counting time.

Cons

There isn't much else you can do on the free tier of this product outside of seeing visualizations of usage. Though this is benefitial on its own, there were other pieces of software I needed to use in order to take action on the behavior I wanted to change/improve.

Joby from London Surf ltd

Great way to make sure you stay on task

Pros

Just works away in the background no intrusive at all rescue time just tracks what you are spending your time on day by day then sends you a report of how productive you have been. It's nice to have targets to aim at for your productivity and interesting to see actually how you spend the time on your laptop , with the reports this is pretty easy.

Cons

Sometimes it is easy to forget it there (which is good and bad) and therefore not stop procrastinating until its to late.

Tami from Butterfly Kiss Photography

Thank you Rescue Time for keeping me on track!

peace of mind that I am on task and spending the right amount of time working

Pros

I love the report that they send me each week, which shows how much time I have been spending on each task. Even better is that it was all set up for me, without me having to input anything extra. I like that it separates tasks into client work, and non-productive time and provide a visual chart graphic to help me really see how I am doing.

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything I don't like! Since social media is both a business task and personal/entertainment it is hard to know 100% on that one category, but I don't think that is a fault of the software.

RescueTime lets me make sense of my work habits...

My experience has been really positive. I love the data it gathers and it helps me to stay focused on getting things done.

Pros

I love that I can set it and forget it. It will record my interactions with my computer in the background and keep a detailed log of what I'm doing. It lets me see trending on how I spend my work and leisure time, giving me a lot of insights into how I work. I also like that I can have it setup to run on multiple computers and it'll aggregate all of the data so if I move from one computer to another, it combines the data into one dashboard.

Cons

Not really a con, I just sometimes forget about it and don't check my reports. It would be nice maybe if it had some notificatons to let me know that I should check in to see how I'm doing.

Yan from Premium Consulting

Use it every day to understand how I spend my time

Helps you to understand where your time flows.

Pros

It really helps to see on what one spend one's day - without much fuss, as it just work in background. To get a really thorough analysis, get the premium version and

Cons

To get clear picture you have paradoxically invest your time categorizing various activities. Plus it tends to underestimate your hard work in certain tasks - for example if you are doing research and have to google a lot.

Chelsee from Pawstruck.com

Fairly customizable even on the free plan

Pros

Seamlessly tracks my time and send me a weekly update to give me an idea of where I'm spending my time

Cons

While you can generally customize the way different websites/programs are categorized, there isn't a way to do onetime categorization. Which means there isn't a way to differentiate between when you're, for instance, in Facebook for work (productive) versus scrolling endlessly through your timeline (distracting)

Recuetime Review

Rescuetime has made it easy to bill clients as I can show them the time spent on their projects. I also use it to evaluate the effectiveness of my team.

Pros

The software is just perfect for me. I aim to manage my time and Rescuetime makes that seamless.The daily and weekly reports help me to evaluate how I use my time. The software also has an affiliate program and thats beneficial to me as well.

Cons

I have installed it on my iPhone but I can seem to be able to track my time use on the phone. I am also not sure if the software tracks time when the screen is off.

Mitch from Evolve Artist Training

Keeps me honest with screen time

I've been a Rescuetime user for years and don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

Pros

Each week I take the report and show it to my accountability group, with the goal of decreasing my computer time week by week. Rescuetime makes it very easy to track and spot trends.

Cons

No cons that I can think of. Once I had categorized all of my different applications and activities it works well.

Adithya from SAP

Excellent tool to track your/employee productive time

Pros

* Great easy to setup tool to track all activities done in system. * Extremely accurate regarding the activities and time usage. * Excellent reporting to generate and analyze the pattern. * Can be used to track Employee productivity. * Not a privacy nightmare as many sensitive data is not captured. * Can be used to track our computer usage and help us to be more productive. * Supports mobile devices and linux,Mac as well.

Cons

*Bit expensive for premium version/organization plans.

Flavio from Avenue

Automatic Time Tracking

Time sheets and time tracking can be painful. RescueTime takes away the stress by working in the background to identify the tasks you're working on, which is great.

Pros

Effortless time tracking with a 'set and forget' kind of approach. RescueTime works in the background to identify the tasks you're working on and provides insightful reports on productivity.

Cons

Integration with other systems would be invaluable as we've recently moved to a different solution that integrates with some of the other products we use internally.

Essential for Telecommuters and anyone billing hourly

ability to see how focused i am from day to day.

Pros

seamlessly integrates with all browsers. the same account can run on multiple machines. the default setup is pretty accurate and easy to customize to your productivity tendencies.

Cons

viewing trends over multiple years can be slow. Id love the ability to generate a lifetime report for view later.

Stephen from The Law Office of Stephen P. Shepard, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Affordable, Easy-to-Use Productivity and Time Tracking Solution

RescueTime allows me to keep tabs on my self essentially. I can see what I've been doing and how long I was doing it. Specifically, it allows me to see how much time I wasted on Facebook and how much time I spent working on a project.

Pros

RescueTime requires little to no configuration or attention. You simply install it on your computer and/or install the various browser plugins and let it do its thing - tracking your activities and time.

Cons

As an analytics nerd, I would like to see RescueTime have even more tracking features and abilities. The one con that I will mention is having to specifically allow RescueTime to specifically track what is being done in certain websites/applications.

What did I do all day?

Pros

Useful resource for seeing what online tasks consume our days. Nonintrusive, but monitors what windows and sites are open and consuming our time throughout the day. Very customizable --even on the free plans.

Cons

Initially, putting your tasks into categories (productive, not productive, etc) as well as attaching meaning to your tasks (communication, news, work-related, personal, etc) can take a while, but it pays off in the end with more relevant reports at week's end.

Christian from OCHIN, Inc.

RescueTime is a sanity saver!

Being a salaried employee working remotely, it’s hard to track your time when your workload is constantly heavy and changing. Tracking how long I spend on certain applications and getting rid of distractions is so easy with RescueTime. It’s not expensive at all for Premium and is worth every penny!

Pros

I love the dashboard and how I can categorize each application to accurately track my time. I get an IFTTT e-mail every night telling me how long I worked.

Cons

There’s nothing I don’t like the least about the software.

David from Brandpoint

Surprisingly accurate and very insightful

gives great insight into your day and helps keep yourself in check from distractions!

Pros

It was easy to get set up and customize what behavior is considered valuable or not to my work day. It gave me a good personal metric to keep myself on track throughout my work week.

Cons

Nothing really, it delivers what it promises and even works on your desktop! I did not trying using this with a team and only used it personally, i imagine that with a team there are ways to beat the machine

Great for small business owners & entrepreneurs

Pros

Love using RescueTime to quantify my computer usage. Gives me great metrics for productivity and works seamlessly in the background.

Jordan from R2C Group

Bought This After Hearing About It From Tim Ferris...

Pros

Like any productivity tool, I subscribed because I wanted to hold myself more accountable and analyze the applications and the websites that I visit from day to day. It's been amazing to see how much time I'm going through my emails and adjust based on how I want to make my workflow more productive. I love that the product is simple enough to set up and monitor my computer usage without any manual processes.

Cons

The availability of the tool without many videos or sources on how to get the most out of RescueTime. I'm still finding new ways to incorporate this in my workflow though.

Michal from Travis Law Office

RescueTime lets me see how much "business" work I do each week.

Pros

1. Easy to use. 2. Easy to customize/configure to track the things I do. 3. I use the free version, which has great features for free. 4. Being competitive, I like to try and beat my previous week's score and be more productive.

Cons

There are few things I don't like about RescueTime. They have new versions out frequently, but the install is completely painless (does not require a computer restart), so it is a very minor inconvenience.

Matthieu from SW

Great tool to passively track how you spend your time on the computer

Pros

Awesome to keep an eye on how you spend your time on your computer and get a report sent straight to your email with clear information.

Cons

It doesn't take into account your time spent on your smartphone on tablet, which would be great considering the mobile first mentality of these days.

Does what it says. Works in the background so you don't have to worry about it

Pros

Easy to set up and works in the background so you don't have to worry about it. It also adds data from your cell phone, which is critical to see how your time gets spent each day.

Cons

Really, none that I can think of. I have been using it for many years, it's a keeper.

Yannick from ALPHA Education

Interesting Tool but doesn't always work

Pros

- very automated, install and forget about it - easy to see how productive you are and set goals

Cons

- sometimes doesn't detect activity when it's happening, skewing results - sometimes not very good at identifying the nature of programs - privacy concerns

Sorin from Marketing and Advertising

Find where you're leaking time

I've used RescueTime to find out why I wasn't getting a lot of work done after work. After I've used it for about a week, the results were clear: YouTube was taking over hours and hours of my time. I started using it less and focused more on my writing, which gave me more pleasure anyway.

Pros

Once you set this up, it's so easy to forget about it. Few pieces of software actually encourage you to NOT use it. I really appreciated this. Only browser extension and another small installer for your operating system means you're ready to monitor your time very fast.

Cons

There aren't a lot of features to talk about. So it's hard to even call this a con. But perhaps other pieces of software that do similar things have more things to use. I would've like to be able to more specifically fine tune hours of operation, the software or websites it should monitor. Reports aren't amazing - at least in the free version. Overall it feels very barebones in the features department.

Jovana from Jednakost

Don't waste your time

I am glad I installed it, though I am not checking it regularly. But it helped me understand how I spend my time and how to be more productive.

Pros

I am feeling that the time slips through my fingers and now I know where. This tool helped me monitor how I spend time -- how much time do I actually work and how much I am fooling around.

Cons

Maybe they should improve the categorization and introduce a daily wrap up notification.