• Pros

• "It is easy to use and provides godd possibilities for documentation of stories (picures, links, text)"

• "Easy and intuitive user interface Ability to group cards into releases Seamless integration with Jira"

• "So easy for non-technical types and non-project managers to use. Good guidance and examples about what makes for a good story."

• Cons

• "While there are some minor usability annoyances there is nothing major to complain about. I would love to see soon some better searching & filtering capability."

• "I would love to have more templates available. But I'm not sure to call this 'Cons'. "

• "Mobile option is not that great and may need improvement also it will good if can have bots for managing it."

Browse StoriesOnBoard Reviews

Matt from SolutionStream

Really great tool with continual improvement

I really like the way it allows us to collaborate on stories, releases, and epics. Integrating with Jira is a very nice feature that is better and better with new releases. Also, adding an "undo" feature has been 100% excellent.

Pros

I like the collaboration between team members as well as between teams and clients. It solves the problem of telling the release/estimate story in a way that the client can have some influence!

Cons

User management is a bit tough. Even as an admin, adding yourself to an existing board makes it necessary to go find a different user management area, which is always strange.

StoriesOnBoard provides a much needed holistic view of the project work that needs to be completed.

This software gives be a high level view of the work that needs to be implemented instead of just the current iteration's work. It is very easy to use and have the team participate.

Pros

StoriesOnBoard filled a gap between the planning meetings and the day to day project execution. Before it was difficult for the project team and manager to see the big picture of the goals of the project as we were either using a physical wall to track tasks or a task tracking tool. Having team members remote, it was very difficult to work just using a physical project board. StoriesOnBoard allows the entire team to see the board online, quickly see the status of the tasks and easily update the tasks. There is virtually no learning curve to use this product, which is very important to team members who need to use their allocated time to do the work for the project rather than trying to figure out how to use a project tracking tool. As the project manager, I also like the ability to export to a spreadsheet format.

Cons

We are an office 365 shop. Would like to see some type of integration there rather than just export.

Wilfrido from Pengo

Not so easy to use if you try to move more than 1 card to another place.

an easy way to express the client in a digital way a story map

Pros

The possibility to make a story map, is a novel tool, easy to use in some aspects, integration with tools like Jira is simple and easy to use. the view of 2 and 3 levels seems like a good idea.

Cons

313/5000 exchanging cards between columns is so simple, in some cases it is complicated, we do not have a possibility of moving in lots or multiple selection of cards, it creates a card is not so simple, there is no quick search, the printing option is not friendly, export in XLS could be better.

Daniel from Tealbook

Storiesonboard allows our team to plan and create releases for upcoming features

This software has transformed my workflow from helping me translate a massive story map during project discovery to helping me continue creating stories and building releases for features that we continue to deliver. I can't imagine my workflow without it.

Pros

- You can easily create releases - Creating stories and adding pictures is great - Github integration really helps us push and track our stories and how we deliver on them - It is extremely easy to copy your story map into storiesonboard and continue to maintain it from there

Cons

- The only only at the moment is that managing releases is not the best. You need to go into a separate menu just to move releases around. When working with micro releases this is a hassle.

Daniel from Bedtime for Big Monsters

Hands down the most comprehensive story mapping tool available today.

Team alignment, quality delivery, easy to see the forest for the trees and keep tabs on project status, and to zero in on the problems and bottlenecks.

Pros

Two way sync with Trello, Jira, Github, and Tracker integration makes it an easy choice no matter what engineering or development team prefers. Awesome for bridging and focusing upon product management and strategy prior to committing to development.

Cons

The only thing missing for me, last time I checked, was attachment sync and maybe showing card covers.

Venkataramana from Taylor & Francis Group

Industry: Publishing

It is an must have tool for all organizations which have multiple depended projects.

Pros

It gives a one place access to get information on all running projects. It has some excellent options to customize and group the cards based on the type of work, Project. The swim lines options is very useful in prioritizing the work.

Cons

The UI/UX has to be tweaked a bit to be more keyboard friendly. There are not many keyboard shortcuts. Deleting a card is bit painful as it is a 2 step process.

Jake from Deseret Digital Media

Using the product for road-mapping and stakeholder presentations.

A clear description of our product road map that we can use to communicate to stakeholders.

Pros

It's simple to follow the flow of what we are working on as a product team. The parent-child relationships of the cards make features and functionality easy to define for stakeholders and team members.

Cons

Would love to see some more flexibility in how cards can be created and managed. More layers would also be helpful.

Raphael from Rebuliço

A great product for Story Maps

Me and my team created great StoryMaps with it. It really has all you can ask for in the StoryMapping business. But, after some time, we moved to another platform that integrated Story Maps with other processes of our workflow.

Pros

Of all the products with some sort of feature for creating Story Maps, ProductsOnBoard surely is the one that gives the user the best experience and feel for that important and strategic work. It has the features that you expect and the keyboard shortcuts work as they should, giving the user a great user interface.

Cons

StoriesOnBoard is a Story Mapping tool. And thats it. As a starting entrepreuner sometimes we have to choose wisely where to put the money. And, for small businesses, paying for a platform that will have only one use in your workflow maybe is not the smarter choice.

Used StoriesOnBoard to engage users, discuss priorities and clarify requirements

I feel StoriesOnBoard really added value to our project. A great, non-intrusive way to manage your user stories. Also, any queries we had were quickly picked up by the team. Great tool.

Pros

The software is extremely intuitive and very visually oriented. This allows non-technical project members to understand and use it in no time at all. We used it mostly during meetings and as a collaboration tool. The software can do much, much more but we needed it first and foremost to communicate and get a shared feeling of what the project result should be.

Cons

Would have liked some more attributes to categorize cards.

Patrick from Woodward, Inc.

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Very easy and intuitive to use.

Pros

Ease of use. It's very intuitive for someone new to the product to jump in and get a pretty good idea of what's going on very quickly.

Cons

I would like an easier way to view the "color key" that we use throughout the story map. I always find myself clicking into individual, random cards when I need to view what color represents what.

Eric from Canopy Tax, Inc.

Saves a ton of time and frustration. Great Jira integration

Saves me a lot of time and provides everything I need.

Pros

It's sticky notes on steroids. Easily the best online story mapping software I've used. Jira integration is awesome. I hate making Jira cards so being able to push and sync the work I do in StoriesonBoard to Jira is a major time/sanity saver. . Overall, it's very easy to set up, use and modify. There are a few oddities about it that are a little annoying, but overall it's been a great tool for me and my team.

Cons

These are very specific things that maybe just bother me but here they are. Rearranging releases could be easier (drag and drop maybe), the description section of the card is not scrollable when editing- have to use the arrow keys to see what above of below the fold. Adding color to a card is a little funny. Maybe just show all the available colors off the bat instead of selecting the colors you want to use before you can apply a color. Petty things, I know. :)

Stories on Board is a simple, easy to use agile user story mapping tool. Love it!

Fast and simple to set up and use Works great for facilitating agile story mapping workshops with business and IT stakeholders

Pros

My team used Stories on Board as our story mapping tool of choice for a requirements definition project with a client. We ran 8-10 story mapping workshops using the tool and documenting the stories as we progressed through the workshops. The client loved the tool as did we. It was very effective for capturing the stories, quickly moving things around as priorities shifted or became more clear (e.g., capturing Minimum Viable Product). We used the color coding feature extensively to help us and the client track which stories were (1) identified but not yet documented, (2) partially or full documented but not yet agreed, and (3) fully agreed by the client. It was effective at capturing the major workflow associated with the epic-level story, and then breaking those down into individual story cards. We assessed a few other tools but found them to be too complicated and/or too expensive for what we needed. We wanted something simple and Stories on Board fit our need.

Cons

Our client didn't use the tool, so we had to export everything into Excel and/or Word for delivery to them at the end of the process, which was a bit cumbersome. Not really a knock on the tool though; would have been easier if the client would have just used the tool also!

Great product for forming a product backlog & visualizing customer journey with teams

I am a fan of the story mapping process and StoriesOnBoard does the right things to allow collaboration around that process. It's hugely helpful for building a board and not worrying about the tool. It's easy enough to use that you can dive right in. We use it to improve our early project planning and have definitely seen the benefit throughout the life of the project.

Pros

Love the intuitive interface--easy to search your workspace, cards feel real, two level collapsed board view, story map panning & zooming works great. Good keyboard shortcuts. Overall I'd describe it as streamlined and pleasant to use. They highlight counts of cards, allow you to use labels, collapse and expand, manage users & see an activity feed, etc. Yes, you can connect your workspace to your JIRA instance and keep cards synchronized between map & project. I get the feeling that the team cares about delivering a great product to their users from the updates they make and the tone/content of the newsletter.

Cons

Like many comparable software products, you must upgrade to have the import/export functionality or JIRA integration. I also wish there were an easier way to share a snapshot of a board. Sometimes I need to share a view of the board with a stakeholder, I want them to be able to quickly view without having to login, and a PDF or screenshot won't cut it.

Jessica from S3

Story mapping made simple

Pros

I can easily view my short term and long term plans, and share them with my distributed team. The connection to Jira makes getting the next batch up requirements to the dev team quick and easy.

Cons

It only allows for one integration per story map, so managing one product tied to multiple projects in Jira can be difficult.

Leo from Forte

Very helpful for story mapping.

Pros

Cons

Drag and drop feature doesn't work very when there is a lot of cards and you need to scroll something down outside the current view. Integration only works with 1 Jira instance, would nice to be able to connect to multiple.

Daniel from Computer Software

Awesome product to organise your epics and user stories

Improved transparency and collaboration for our team

Pros

One of the best story mapping tool I came across. Very easy to navigate around, manage & categorise stories, releases/milestones planning, Jira integration, export to excel... Has all the flexibility we need at the right price.

Great Tool for easy storyboarding

We are trying to identify gaps in functionality with our product and StoriesOnBoard helps us clearly find and fill those gaps by allowing us to see what functionality we have and haven't thought of yet.

Pros

The ease of use when coming up with epics, features and user stories.

Cons

I would like if there was a way to enlarge the cards, so those with larger titles aren't cut off and need to be clicked to view the name in entirety. Also, I would like if there was a way to add notes/comments to the board at-large, not just to individual cards.

Very simple process, timely delivery, great customer service and good review.

Pros

Convenient, cost effective and simple. There is a wide selection of products that are often offered at a lower price than retail. They also have great sales. Amazon prime is a great option for anyone using the software as it guaranties satisfaction and timely arrival.

Cons

Hard to tell name brands vs imitations and quality. Assessing size/fit is difficult. I have ordered glasses for example, that were supposed to be polarized Ray Bans, however upon arrival they clearly were not authentic. Be weary of non-amazon prime content.

James from Brookdale Senior Living

Good app overall

Great organization, and it provides an easy way for my product owner to capture product vision/roadmap and build out user stories/epics from this tool.

Pros

I love how easy it is to build out and arrange/rearrange a story map. The navigation features are very easy to pick up or intuit. Love the structure, release lanes, and ability to export the story map to Excel.

Cons

I would like it if there was an easier way to indicate/tag a task with one or more personas. Currently there's nothing set up to address this specifically. Color-coding can be used, but then would like a way to create a type of persona legend for quick visual queing. Would also like the ability to create page breaks in the text field.

Useful tool for backlog initiation

Pros

It's a good way of viewing your epics/themes in one place, and is easier to use at initiation than Jira.

Cons

It's still quite feature poor, so we ended up using Jira as a team for sprint by sprint development, although I keep stories on board up for my long term backlog.

Marco from DER Touristik GmbH

Easy way to manage your User Stories

We could build a quick overview over all our User Stories and so we had always the progress in view. Our next projects will also be implemented with the help of storiesonboard.

Pros

Easy editing, fast overview over all stories Just the right amount of features - has what you need, isn't complicated. Also with the small license with only one admin you can use many "read accounts"

Cons

unfortunately there is no offline functionality, It would be great if you could host the whole thing locally

Story Mapping Online App with Lots of Supportive Learning Materials

I became interested in product management and started to learn different product management techniques. I've read about story mapping and decided to try it out. I tried different online tools: cardboardit.com, featuremap.co and StoriesOnBoard looked the most appealing. It offers neat design, some additional features that the competitors don't have, e.g. add personas. However, what I liked most of all was that they also provide free educational materials. You are not left alone with the tool, you can get a free ebook, links to different materials, see different examples, etc. Highly recommend to check this tool out.

Pros

* User friendly and visually appealing tool * Free trial * Learning materials * More useful features than their competitors

Cons

That's not a con, rather I wish they had some free plans for users who don't user Story Mapping regularly, just from time to time.

Sachin from Sony India Software Centre Pvt. Ltd.

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Excellent tool

Pros

Stories managed in one place without cluttering of additional detail which is not required for stories.

Cons

Simple tool allows me to story map a large project before and during software development

Pros

I love all of the features. It's hardly missing anything. Very simple to use, fairly priced, no bugs that I'm aware of.

Cons

I would love an integration with Aha! so that I can view and edit my stories there before pushing them to JIRA.

Wilfrido from Pengo

Bettter Usr Story Maps

Stories on Board help me to make my discovery process even better, you can easily map your product, prioritize your user stories, plan your releases and come up with a simple and useful visual solutions to share with non-thecnical stakeholders

Pros

Stories on Board it a really easy to use applications, its a really helpful tool to make your product discoveries easier or even your product maps.

Cons

The only thing that personally really dislike its the option to move cards between columns, you need to do it one by one, maybe a bulk option could best.

Ian from Scottish Water

Industry: Utilities

StoriesOnBoard Review

No additional comments

Pros

Intuitive, easy to use, and functional. That's it.

Cons

Look and feel is a little flat compared with similar tools

Luis from Pacasmayo

Easy onboarding, fast mapping and quick collaboration

I started today and I already finished mapping the application I'm currently working on. I love the big picture and one page sum up of all the story mapping.

Pros

The ease of use and the user-friendly environment.

Cons

There was a Microsoft alike design. Personally I dislike Microsoft look&feel.

Sarah from Impac

Perfect for sharing our physical map with team members in other offices

Pros

It works in the same way I'd story map with physical post-its/cards so it fits perfectly into our process. It does what it does well, is simple and easy to use. I really like the fact that I can give my entire team view only access without having to pay for additional licenses.

John from Simon Business School, University of Rochester

Simple & Powerful

I will use the tool in an Applied Product Management class for MBAs to create customer journey maps (now and later), and iterations for proposed solutions. To learn the tool I am using it to map the components/modules for the entire class - which is working great.

Pros

- very intuitive - very straight forward - nothing "in the way" - it is exactly what it says it is - pro-active support that accelerates use

Cons

- I have not found any challenges yet

Anna from SoftServe

Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

great tool for story mapping technique

I couldn't find any other tool for Story mapping online, so it was really great to experience it and outline story mapping for the project, have a really good picture, share it and discuss together with colleagues.

Pros

I really like the ease of creating cards and that I can share it online and collaborate with colleges. Also the new feature - tagging of the user jorney's is really good.

Cons

I'd like to see more flexibility in release lanes, sometimes there is a lot of white space between cards, maybe as an idea, have a release as an attribute and the line would be drawn by itself once card is assigned to release

Easy to use user story board

General overview of all stories is the main feature. The tool gives good support for release planning

Pros

Cons

We had to drop this wonderful tool because it doesn't provide any synchronization of the epics with Jira (only the stories are synchronized)

Krzysztof from Pragmatists

Definitely my choice for online User Story Mapping

Convienient way of sharing User Story Mapping results with team & clients.

Pros

Pleasant look. Easy editing with shortcuts. Brilliant integration with Trello & other. Just the right amount of features - has what you need, but doesn't feel bloated.

Cons

Some quirks in Safari/Mac. Sometimes I feel a need for one more level at the top of the map (eg. "Actor" above "Activity")

Marc from American LegalNet

Simple & easy to use. Really helped getting moving forward

Pros

Visual presentation, Easy to use, Free Trial to actually understand if this will work for the project

Cons

Customization is a little confusing and it seems some of the custom features cannot be utilized as part of the trial-- making it a little difficult to be really clear on those functions

Daniel from Banco Sabadell

Simple intuitive, just like using postits, definetley would recommend.

Good price for quality ratio.

Pros

I love Jira integration, its very simple. Would like to have more fields and custom statuses to link to. Also Epic support could be good

Cons

No offline functionality, when connection is lost it gets choppy and slow. Also the "presenter mode" is not that useful.

Nicolas from DXC Technology

An excellent tool to build your story mapping

Pros

Features I liked : - Shareable - Easy to use - Export file formats (Backlog or story map format) Besides I really enjoyed the online Customer service.

Cons

Sometimes it's like the product is not finished. The colours disappear when exporting backlog/story map.

Anandan from American Board of Internal Medicine

It helped view bigger picture and categories stories easily

Pros

Storyboard view. Moving stories across different releases is easy. Updating the story title without opening the story is a plus.

Cons

Editing on the storyboard is not very intuitive. Integration capabilities are limited. The export option can be improved to be integrated.

Great way to clarify needs and goals!

Pros

Cons

I wish the right-click context menu was more functional, e.g. delete a card via right click.

Jess from Arbor Day Foundation

Love the tool. We use it for planning with stakeholders as well as tracking implementation

Pros

Ease of use and flexibility of the tool. We find this tool extremely important to kicking off new projects

Cons

The export doesnt export all fields, but that is minor. Some of the colors of the cards don't carry over, but i highlight them after the fact.

Cool

StoriesOnBoard is best app for storymapping. I've searched alternative apps. I didn't find better app for storymap.

Pros

Easy to use. Very straightforward well designed app.

Cons

Pricing is expensive for me. No mobile apps.

Marcel from Agile Boom!

Stories on Board changes the way how we communicate with remote Team Members.

A cloud based Story Map is the best way for us to continously share development relevant information above distributed teams. The very simple way to create a story map drive our Product Owner to just go on and on to create even more maps.

Pros

The good overview makes it very easy to maintain large Maps with several themes.

Cons

I miss some shortcuts for instance to zoom in and out faster.

Ann from EDF

Industry: Utilities

Agile Projects

Pros

I used Stories On Board when I worked in an agile project for my company. It is an easy tool to use and help our project team resolve our miscommunication issues. Stories on Board was used across various teams in different locations. It visualises and helps people understand which priorty of different stories needed to be delivered.

Cons

Nothing. I find it easy to use. I don't know if you guys do mobile phone app but your competitor Trello, does mobiile phone app and i find it very useful if I can check stories during commuting time.

Vera from Gismart

Decent software

Pros

Integration with jira Nice mapping for stories, comments inside a ticket add value, so generally it is nice to use, though some improvements might help

Cons

Ux is poor, many actions are counterintuitive , but after everything is set it's fine. So generally it is a good tool, where ch requires some improvements

Eshita from HCL Technologies: Products & Platforms Division

Made work easy and faster when you have global team

I have global team and where everyone has different responsibilities, but the outcomes expectation supposedly would be same. So to map the scenarios I must its nice tool to handle.

Pros

I would like to specify few of things about stories board 1-All pieces can be consolidated at one shot 2-Big scope of different process of UX can validate with team 3-Hands ready templates makes work easy and fast 4-Pears collaboration within this tool is nice features 5-Seamless flexibility with efficiency as well

Cons

*it was difficult to understand so many options

Marykate from Integreon

Tech not for me but this help

Pros

I am new to tech and the developers at my company had me use this so we could flush out and build the ideas for what we wanted. I loved how easy it was for someone with no development background or tech. I was able to start using it and felt productive.

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind. I did not use the tool daily or take a deep dive so maybe if I had there would possibly be something to note.

Charmane from Capital One

New User Experience

I like how easy it is to get help on questions I had. I am still exploring the product to see if this can be used by our company.

Pros

It helps me organize the stories and give me the big picture of creating and releasing a new product.

Cons

Not too flexible on the structure but I have not explored all its functionalities. It took awhile for me to learn how to use it, but after I created a couple of stories, I got the hang of it and its easy to reach out to customer service to help.

James from Information Technology

Intuitive and simple

We had a good experience in the early stage of our product development, will continue to try and use it.

Pros

It is easy to define different roles of personas in our application. And make tasks of each story clear.

Cons

Since we just started to use it, didn't find anything negative so far.

Very useful

Pros

Easy to use, very useful tool to track the work

Cons

nothing, need some more training material

Maciej from Designer

Great tool

Pros

– Intuitive and easy to use – Well designed – Reliable – Probably best story mapping tool out there

Cons

Some interactions like having to double click on a card could be revisited.

Michal from Professional Coaching and Training

Really good tool with jira integration

We're creating story maps with this tool, easy user interface

Pros

Jira integration, easy to use, full screen mode

Cons

UI - could be more fancy/up to 2018 ;-)

Duarte from Instituto Superior Miguel Torga

The Best

I used this for university work and it worked great. The best software I could find at the time

Pros

The design of the website The easy to use interface

Cons

No cons that I could find. It works really well