What are FunctionFox users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using FunctionFox software through verified user reviews

• icon"Ease of use of the end user, a decent level of customer service, interface and platform are not complicated to navigate through."
  • icon"FunctionFox has definitely improved my organizing skills with its to do lists and progress reports. The customer service has been excellent, and the interface is easy to use and clearly organized."
  • icon"Very easy to use and great system for small teams. Updating projects is easy and I love how customizable this tool is for your team."
  • icon"The learning curve was high and hard for some."
  • icon"Setting up backend organization of clients and projects is a bit confusing and difficult."
  • icon"Would prefer to have the company name rather than an organisation no."

Browse all FunctionFox Reviews

• Have you used FunctionFox and would like to share your experience with others?

Max

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

Limited Use Cases, I Would Go Elsewhere

Travis

Great Software to keep track of hours and projects

Pros

We have used this program for a few years now and have found it very easy to track progress on projects, log hours, and make sure that our office is running as efficiently as possible. This has been a great investment for us!

Cons

It took some time to get familiar with how to use the software. Adding gantt charts for project planning would be great, but overall this program fits our needs quite well.

Claude

Feedback regarding Function Fox

I have been very impressed with the FunctionFox staff and their project management software from the very beginning of the process. The sales rep. was very knowledgeable and explained the features and benefits very clearly. The samples and tutorials were great and made the learning process kinda fun. FunctionFox's support team are exceptional at responding to our questions and reply promptly with detailed user friendly instruction on how to take full advantage of the powerful tools and functionality. Deciding to use FunctionFox in our face paced graphic design company was a great decision. It helps us spend more time on being creative and less time retyping project names, task names, design rates etc.

Pros

The software is designed with the creative industry in mind. You can set up project names, common tasks with specific hourly rates. When it comes time invoice a project I no longer have to request time sheets from staff. I just log in to the software, select the project name within the appropriate dates and all of the information that I need is presented quickly and efficiently which makes invoicing easy.

Cons

I can honestly say that I cannot find anything wrong with this software.

Reasons for choosing FunctionFox

We chose FunctionFox because it was originally designed for an advertising agency so it was a perfect fit for our graphic design company. Much like an advertising agency, we handle multiple details and aspects of a project. FunctionFox software helps to keep a birds eye view on project details, project costs and scheduling. It just seemed like the best choice for our company.

Beth

April 2022

Early adopter - ongoing lover

This company has had stellar customer service since day one. We rarely have problems or questions and they still check in on us regularly (but not too often) to make sure we are ok

Pros

Its easy to learn and use. The price was affordable for our firm and it has been easy to grow and shrink services to match our business needs.

Cons

Its perfect for our needs. There's really nothing I don't like.

Response from FunctionFox

Thanks for the kind words and review Beth - we always enjoy working with you and your team and appreciate your long time loyalty and support.

Replied April 2022

Limited Use Cases, I Would Go Elsewhere

We use this tool to track projects and our task/actions with for our clients. It does neither well. The tool is very bulky and not a great interface. It does not make tracking tasks easy, and managing my teams hours isn't a fun or easy task due to this tool

Pros

If you're using just for projects, than this tool is OK. It also CAN do task management and gantt chart tracking. It also can track your tasks that you are doing.

Cons

Pretty much everything. It is a bulky interface that doesn't do anything better or as well as their competitors. The tool doesn't make it easy to track retainers, actions, tasks, projects, etc.

Reasons for choosing FunctionFox

I was not involved in the process. I've been pushing for years to switch, but we're too far invested in this tool to switch

Response from FunctionFox

Thank you for your honest feedback. We're sorry to hear that this has been your experience and would like to make it right. Please provide your company details as we'd love to give you a refund/credit on your account given your dissatisfaction. Please contact me directly - Corina Ludwig - President of FunctionFox - corina@functionfox.com - 866.369.8463 ext 100

Replied October 2020

Frank

March 2022

Powerful and works well

I went from manually compiling labor from paper timecards, which was difficult for me to keep on top of and employees didn't do as good a job as they should have with their timecards. Switching to FunctionFox instantly brought an about face. The monthly cost is more than offset by the time I save in the office, not to mention all the things that were not getting billed on the old system. I can't recommend it enough, even for very small businesses. The system is very powerful, but I just use the basic features.

Pros

The software has finally freed me from the nightmare that is paper timecards. It's much easier to track labor hours and details on projects.

Cons

It's not always intuitive to find and use features that I don't regularly use, but if I get stuck, the support is always very good and they are quick to answer the phone.

Reasons for choosing FunctionFox

I spent many hours researching this and chose FunctionFox because of features, cost and ease of use.

Response from FunctionFox

WOW! thanks for the kind feedback Frank. we appreciate your review and kind details.

Replied March 2022

Ann

Using FunctionFox in a small college marketing department

Pros

I love how much functionality and detail I get with FunctionFox. It has enabled workflow and increased our productivity and brand consistency so we can prioritize the most strategic, outcome-oriented projects. I love that campus users all go to a single link to request work. I cannot imagine going back to an email-based request process or a lower functioning project management system.

Cons

The learning curve was high and hard for some. The dashboard is not as intuitive in some places as we would like.

Reasons for switching to FunctionFox

Basecamp was not nearly as functional for workflow.

Carter

Professional Time Tracking in a Straight-Forward App

FunctionFox is a great tool for tracking time. It allows you to have several users tracking time under projects and tasks, so you can see how your team is using their time. From an agency standpoint, it allowed us to accurately account for our time with clients and realistically price our services. It had integration limitations and was not as flexible as we needed it to be, but for many, it is likely the right tool.

Pros

FunctionFox allows you to set up different account and projects within those accounts to help separate your time into tasks and items of your own choosing. For a marketing agency, this type of tool is essential. Function Fox offers a pretty easy to use system with several features to help make your time tracking experience easier and more accurate.

Cons

We ultimately moved away from FunctionFox because it was not able to integrate into our billing software. We also needed a tool that would be double as a task manager.

Aera

May 2022

Excellent Time Tracking Software

The biggest benefit we have realized over the years is when we are spending too much time on an account or project, if we need to raise our fees we have reports we can provide to clients to show how much time we are spending on their account, etc.

Pros

Software is easy to use and show staff how to use

Cons

I do not currently have anything that I do not like

Reasons for choosing FunctionFox

We did a trial and it worked well and we have continued to use it for more than a decade

Tim

Industry: Writing and Editing

I depend on this powerful tool to manage my small business effectively

Using the timesheet capability has become a completely natural part of my day. The reporting by project capability provides the essential data that allows me to prepare my invoices manually (outside of FunctionFox). For my small business, its convenience and ease of use justifies the annual cost.

Pros

Easy setup of new clients, projects, tasks and hourly rates. Very easy to pull reports of timesheets and associated fees in order to understand actuals, and use these in preparing invoices. The ability to archive past projects and even clients keeps the program from being cluttered.

Cons

I only use a small part of FunctionFox's capabilities, and I have only high praise for the parts of the software that I use.

Reasons for choosing FunctionFox

FunctionFox is so much easier than doing timesheets manually!

Sandra

Industry: Public Relations and Communications

February 2022

Two decades with Function Fox

Pros

As a one-person PR shop, knowing that I can quickly and easily create projects, track my time and do my monthly invoicing in one spot is invaluable and I don't miss billing any of my most valuable resource - my time!

Cons

After two decades, Function Fox features everything I need!

Response from FunctionFox

Thanks so much for your kind review Sandra! We love working with you and your work is amazing. Love what you're doing for Ritual!

Replied February 2022

Ruban

April 2022

Use functionFox for all your Management of business and company

Pros

Good GUI - no sluggishness when I use. Faster to learn

Cons

Licensing cost is bit high and more import plugins need to be added

Response from FunctionFox

Thanks Ruban! Appreciate your solid feedback and suggestions.

Replied May 2022

Meredith

Industry: Graphic Design

It won't make you lunch, but it does everything else.

We use Function Fox to keep track of our team's time and to quote future projects. The reporting gives us insight into areas we need to improve or quote differently. The system provides us with a big picture view of our workload along with the granular data for digging into the details. So far, I haven't found anything it cannot do, except make me lunch. :) To make the most of the software, I think it's wise to have a dedicated project manager on staff, although our designers embraced it fairly quickly and enter their own actions and other data.

Pros

Function Fox provides several ways to track time, so designers have their choice of methods. Even though we don't use it like we should (we're hiring a project manager soon), the Gantt charts are awesome for planning out a project and adjusting schedules as needed. I don't have to train my designers how to use it; Function Fox provides one-to-one live tutorials.

Cons

The user interface is not as user-friendly or aesthetically pleasing as some of the other products.

Reasons for choosing FunctionFox

The features and capabilities of Function Fox surpassed the other products. Its reporting and project management tools outshine the others.

Reasons for switching to FunctionFox

We wanted to try something more robust and maybe save a few dollars. This product does it all and is very comparable in costs.

PHILIP

Industry: Packaging and Containers

Design Resource Tool

Outstanding product!

Pros

I started using this product about 15 years ago. It is a great tool for tracking projects, time, sales dollars vs. time spent per account and many other measurables. It is the best tool I have found that allows Design and sales management to objectively measure the return on design resources spent. The data collected has been immensely helpful to management, and this is the 4th organization that I have introduced to the tool!

Cons

None! Very easy to implement and use, for graphics and structure.

Reasons for choosing FunctionFox

I saw an add years ago in ID or Abitare. I had seen the add multiple times before finally realizing the impact this could have on our office, and communicating with upper management regarding hours spent supporting business/individual customers, who our manpower robbers are, and when we could justify additional resources. It is an amazing tool!

Reasons for switching to FunctionFox

It didn't come close to being able to collect the data that we can with Function Fox.

Donna

Very User Friendly

This software has helped us stay on top of billable time & streamlined our billing process as well as helped with keeping on top of budgets.

Pros

This website is Web based so it's easy for everyone to access and stay connected. Very good customer service.

Cons

I do wish it was a little easier to customize the reports on my own.

Reasons for choosing FunctionFox

We were able to try for free for several months without making a commitment & the Customer Service was great and very helpful.

Reasons for switching to FunctionFox

Timeslips was not user friendly

Response from FunctionFox

Thanks Donna for your kind words. Always a pleasure to work with your team.

Replied April 2020

Brenda

Industry: Architecture & Planning

FunctionFox for Architects

My billing is generally by the hour, and so the "timer" feature is extremely helpful when working on multiple projects in a day. I also like that I can set up email reminders if I forget to fill out my timesheet.

Pros

I have a small but growing architecture practice. I tried several project management and timekeeping and accounting programs before finding FunctionFox. I have been using it for a little over a year now. It allows me to do everything in one place, from job estimating to invoicing. The most important feature I was looking for, and was having trouble finding elsewhere, was an "resource availability" function, that would keep me from scheduling myself or my employees for 180 hours/week. FunctionFox has definitely improved my organizing skills with its to do lists and progress reports. The customer service has been excellent, and the interface is easy to use and clearly organized. I recommend it for any firm, but especially small start ups.

Cons

Still waiting for Gantt charts. Then I think it will be perfect. They are used extensively in construction scheduling, and I would like to have the same format when scheduling the design.

Brian

Effective timekeeping for an agency of eight

Pros

The automatic timer is a real plus for most of our staff. The reports function is very robust and affords analysis 8 ways from Sunday. Its daily time entry/timekeeping simplicity has curbed many of our staff's bad habit of waiting until the end of the month to enter time based only on notes and emails. This means greater accuracy, more timely billing options and faster cashflow. Plus our account managers can gather and configure their own reporting for their clients without involving our administrator. Perhaps best of all is Function Fox's lightning fast support and customer service. Best in the business from the tech support perspective and the knowledgeable assistance from our sales rep.

Cons

The only drawback is that it cannot be integrated, or the data cannot be exported, into several of the popular accounting apps. We handle that manually which takes a few extra strokes to generate billing, but the other advantages far outweigh that shortcoming.

April 2016

Subscribing to FunctionFox is one of the best business decisions I’ve made

For several years, I have used FunctionFox every day, to record my time and manage my projects. I found setup really simple, and day-to-day use is a cinch – I record my time with FunctionFox’s timer, which makes it easy to switch between clients and projects. Generating reports takes seconds, and FunctionFox has let me cut admin time that I used to spend searching through old emails and scribbled notes to do my billing. With FunctionFox, once I’ve entered my time, I can use the information for loads of things: to create more accurate estimates for similar projects; to track my actual time against my estimates (very useful for keeping clients informed); to create and adjust invoices; and to show clients exactly what I’ve done for them.

Pros

Since I started using FunctionFox, I’ve captured significantly more billable hours every month to. I find this program to be simple, flexible and really affordable. Also, customer service is completely free, with a service rep assigned specifically to me. That means I can always talk to someone who understands my business whenever I have a question, as often as I need, completely free. All in all, subscribing to FunctionFox is one of the best business decisions I’ve made.

Cons

If you’re looking for a product with all possible bells and whistles, you may need to keep looking. You can export data from FunctionFox to other programs pretty easily, but accounting features aren’t built in.

Love the task assignment feature.

We love the features of FunctionFox. The program has worked flawlessly since we got it, and on the rare occasion we got stuck on a feature, their staff was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Pros

The best thing about this program is that you can assign tasks to individual employees. This allows for better tracking of project time, and the mobile app gives you the option to do that even if you aren’t in the office. The ability to create an unlimited number of clients and projects is an even greater bonus. The emailing of tasks also helps greatly with time management.

Cons

As we only needed it for time tracking, we haven’t encountered any negative things to say about this project. There are more features that we just don’t need, so perhaps slim lining the program would be helpful to make it more sleek-looking.

Heather

A great Time & Expense tracking tool for small-ish agencies and freelancers

more accurate billing

Pros

I implemented this software when I owned my own agency of 1 full-time and 2 part-time staff. It helped tremendously to track the time spent on projects and more accurate billing. No more paper time sheets! I always had accurate data when a Client asked "how much time do we have into this". They have great customer service and is fairly reasonable in price even for smaller shops. Reporting is robust. Pretty user-friendly.

Cons

It's missing the Project Management piece. At least in tracking To Do's like Basecamp does. I wish I could have 1 software that does both of these things.

Jacquie

May 2016

Use FunctionFox and Make Life Easier

Pros

As an Account Manager/Office Manager I can't imagine how I would get through my day without FunctionFox. I use the action function weekly to prepare for our Monday traffic meetings and keep this up-to-date throughout the week, so I always know the status of my client projects. Running reports for monthly billing and using the invoicing tool has saved hours of time! The ability to run current client reports as well as reports from archived jobs allows me to see how time was spent, capturing billable time and expenses, and is also a great tool in preparing estimates. As easy as it is to use, if you do need help, the customer service at FunctionFox is unbeatable! Signing up for FunctionFox is one decision you absolutely won't regret.

Cons

Really there is nothing I don't like about FunctionFox it's a great product and fulfills the requirements I use it for.

Helen

Super Simple CRM Solution

Pros

We love this software, it's quick, easy and very cost effective. We easily input our data into it, the fields are all editable so is bespoke to us. We haven't had to ask for much support as the software is so easy to use, but when we did the help was fast, helpful and friendly. Function Fox has made the studio run far more efficiently, team members can book jobs in quickly and time sheets are super fast. The retainer option has been really useful too, we can also report on staff productivity and ensure timesheets are being filled out.

Cons

Having worked with the software for a few months I cannot find any flaws with it, we researched many CRM software solutions and most were too expensive or too complex for our needs, Function Fox gives us the option to have a basic CRM system with add-ons available if we want to expand features.

Industry: Writing and Editing

Good if used properly

It's a very nice way to properly track time spent on projects, clients, etc. Over the course of the year, you can see where you've gone over on hours and where you might want to dedicate more time. When you give clients a certain amount of time per month, having software like this is essential for tracking purposes.

Pros

It made it very easy to track time for clients over the course of the day, week, and month. Quite customizable, so we were able to have it fit our needs.

Cons

Nothing in particular comes to mind. It is solid software for time tracking.

Jeremie

FunctionFox Keeps Project Management for Creative Teams Simple

We have used FunctionFox for time and expense tracking for over 15 years. I am an early adopter and have been blown away by their consistent customer service. Their team of great people support this solid product.

Pros

Great UI, very intuitive for designers and account people. Timesheets are painless and now our expenses don’t slip through the cracks. Absolutely pays for itself. Everything an ad agency or design firm needs!

Cons

Can’t think of anything. Whenever there was an issue, they have listened to our suggests and continue to improve the product.

Vicki

Helps to Manage Time Spent on Client Projects

When dealing with clients and billing them, this is a great product. It's reasonably priced, easy to use and improves our billing, which helps not only our company, but gives our clients the assurance that we are billing appropriately and accurately.

Pros

This product keeps track of all of my notes on my clients' projects. This helps to ensure that my billing is accurate.

Cons

This product is not accessible when the internet is down. It would be great to have a resident version on my computer when internet is out.

FunctionFox