Timely

Timely Reviews

RATING:

• icon"The simplest of its features is one I love the most: the fact that your timer can count money and not just hours/minutes/seconds."
  • icon"Timely is verrrrryyyy super. You can accurately track your working time effortlessly."
  • icon"Ability to use project cumulative hours and price per hour to bill. Easy to enter time and the phone app helps when you are on the client and do not have your computer."
  • icon"The pricing models are not extensively flexible as it needs to have modules based pricing such that the needy ones buy only what they need."
  • icon"Inability to create flexible-time appointments."

All Timely Reviews

Brian

Timely is my go-to app to record my consulting and board hours

Pros

I use Timely across 3 platforms - iPhone, iPad, Mac - and all work seamlessly to keep track of my billable (and unbillable) hours. The interfaces are simple to understand and to use, and I'm much more confident in my recorded time than with other methods I've used. I appreciate how hard the Timely team works to add features to the product, and the company is responsive to my questions.

Cons

I pay a monthly subscription fee for unlimited project/client time tracking, which is great for Timely and would be fine for a consultant / lawyer / business owner who has multiple clients or projects to bill to. Most times I only have 1 or 2 projects on the go at once, and I'd like to see a "light" monthly fee added. If you have billable and non-billable hours for a project/client, you have to set up 2 different projects in order to properly tabulate the hours and invoice amounts. Timely's "tag" feature doesn't really work to keep billable and non-billable hours distinct when it comes time to determine how much to bill the client.

Rick

Industry: Computer Hardware

Revolutionary for Time capture

As a business owner, it is fantastic to get accurate and 'timely' submitted time sheets from staff each and every week. For the user, once you find your preferred method of capture, it is a breeze from there in.

Pros

The best thing about Timely is that it lets you focus on your work first, time capture second. Traditionally within an organisation with time sheets you need to constantly keep on top of your time entries or it will snowball into a big mess by the end of the week. Timely allows you to just get on with things and perhaps at the end of the week, you just approve the timesheet pre-filled for you.

Cons

When I sign up my staff to the software it can be a little overwhelming to get your head around things, and some have had minor teething issues with the memory app tracking. Once they get going its full steam ahead.

Reasons for switching to Timely

The company was using FROM: / TO: time entries on a spreadsheet. Constantly falling behind, staff were struggling with their workloads to keep up with time entry as well. Timely promised to alleviate that, and it certainly did.

Used Timely to record time worked and tasks completed

Timely organizes time info visually very well.

Pros

I liked the way that Timely visually assembled information to be seen en mass. It made the ability to see quickly and easily where time opportunities were for our business.

Cons

Timely was not quite what we were looking for. It's a good program but ultimately we were unable to use it in tandem with other programs we were more committed to.

Siger

Lifesaver

It saves me a lot of money because I track time I missed otherwise. And in that way it is more fun to do!

Pros

I really like the memory function. Some days you are so busy you forget about tracking time (and thus missing income). But with memory I can easily see what I have done, when I have done it and how much time I spend on it. Clear overview of spend budget within projects.

Cons

The reporting function could use a little more branding, now it's just a standard template.

Reasons for choosing Timely

Memory function! Better project (and budget) insights.

Kirby

Industry: Writing and Editing

I couldn't run my creative business without this

I am making more money because I'm not losing those 15 minute client task hours anymore thanks to the memory tracker. Also, I lost my billing from months ago, and I was easily able to go back and reprint it, dig through my tracker and see where I was missing stuff. I'd lose out on more than $1,000 a month if I didn't have this feature.

Pros

I cannot describe how incredible it is. I am ADD and very creative. I have multiple clients and multiple contractors. The unique thing about timely is the memory tracker, which tracks my open windows, times, and even suggests clients. I never have to start and stop a clock anymore. At the end of the day, I pour a glass of wine and open the memory tracker, simply select the client, click save, and it takes me 3 minutes to MONETIZE my day! It's amazing. There are tons of other cool features, but this is my favorite one.

Cons

There is nothing not to like. I like it all.

Flavio

Best time tracking software I've ever used

Using Timely has allowed us to better visualize our business as a whole, from a high-level project and scheduling perspective down to reporting and identifying the most profitable / desired type of work to pursue in business development.

Pros

Timely combines a simple, intuitive interface with smart back-end features to deliver the best time tracking solution, hands down. Having used a number of different time tracking apps I was incredibly happy to find Timely - it's user interface is beautiful, the tracking and reporting tools are simple and easy to use and the product team is continuously evolving the platform, adding new features and improving the system.

Cons

Minor glitches when saving changes, which rarely ever happen.

Jenny

Free time tracking app

Was having trouble with current time tracking apps that were either low on features or hard to look at. Timely brought a nice balance between functionality and design for scheduling my time and sticking to it.

Pros

As a freelancer, I rely on solid time-tracking to monitor my performance and give estimates for work, so naturally, I've used more apps than I can count. So far, Timely is my favorite. The UI, features, and glorious reports give it an extra edge over most apps I've used. You can plan out your weeks of work in advance and it displays as nicely colored blocks that you can drag and drop if you need to shuffle tasks around. (You can also choose a custom color for each block!) You can set an hourly rate for tasks or set a budget for a project and it'll tell you how much your hourly fee should be. I love how it integrates with my Google Calendar so I'm not going back and forth to see which calendar has what.

Cons

While I love the custom color feature, it would be great if Timely could automatically assign that color for future blocks with the same name. Another useful addition would be to move a future task to the current week without having to type it out all over again.

Louise

Excellent for scheduling onboarding calls

Pros

We mostly use Timely for scheduling onboarding calls with clients. It's easy to pass them a link and from there they can choose which employee they would like to speak with, and they can then schedule the call based on the employee's availability. The integration with Google Calendar is really helpful too.

Cons

It would be helpful if each user was able to choose their timezone as it doesn't take into account that users may be in different countries.

Petya

THe good way to track your time.

I use it for my freelance projects, it is one of the best I have used the last years.

Pros

I like the software, it is easy to use and reliable. It keeps track of billable and unbillable hours, and is available for all platforms, which is very suitable, because I use different devices sometimes.

Cons

None encountered until now, the software is reliable as I said.

Mariedglys

Very useful both for business management and personal activities.

Organization in my tasks, time of resolution

Pros

It is very useful and easy to use. Help to organize yourself in your tasks and meet your objectives and can be used both at work and personally

Cons

Its price and the errors that it sometimes emits during its use, is one of its greatest difficulties. The rest is very useful for what I recommend

Gunnar

Industry: Defense & Space

Very handy software for time tracking

As a consultant supporting several projects, timely is a very easy to use and quick way to keep track on time spent on each activity. I have it on my PC, MAC and iPhone, and logging time is done in seconds. It synchronises instantly across platforms provided they are online. I also use Move on my iPhone and I really look forward to have these two functions come together shortly.

Pros

Easy to use and always available.

Cons

None so far.

Andy

Ideal time tracking software for my business

I can’t imagine finding a better fit for me and the way I work. Timely makes time-tracking painless and effortless.

Pros

It’s quick to get up and running with Timely, entering clients and projects is a breeze. Being able to add a time or money budget is handy for those fixed-price projects – and Timely will send you notifications when you’ve reached a budget milestone (50 %, 80% and 100% of the allocated budget). An essential feature for me is being able to track my timings across different devices – if I need to work on a project at home, all my timings from work are synced. I can also log in to my timesheets via a web browser, should I need to. Creating reports at the end of the month when I need to do my invoicing is also a pleasure. Timely can export to Excel or PDF. I don’t use the “Memory” feature of Timely much, but it’s been very useful on those occasions that I’ve forgotten to start a timer and need to refer back to what I was doing during that period.

Cons

No significant cons spring to mind. Being able to save more project colours as defaults would be handy, as I use a single colour for each client (based on their brand colours) which means opening a previous project to copy the colour, and then pasting that in for the new project.

Kate

Things I Didn't Know When I Started Freelancing

I started freelancing and had been tracking my hours on scratch paper and Notes files on my phone (it sounds so obviously stupid that I did that, but I hated time trackers from my agency days. I tended to forget to use them and then had to mentally reconstruct my days). It was making my life hectic. I put off invoicing until the last second because it was stressful and I felt guilty - like I had made my hours up. Even if I knew what client I did work for, I almost never remembered to write down what I did. Timely has tools built in to help me remember to track hours, to remember what I worked on, even days later. I also volunteer and hadn't been tracking my non-billable time until Timely. Now I can see how I'm splitting my days. It's made me a better estimator for future work; I never see my own estimates and think "wow, that's way too high a number. I should lower that," because now I have it documented, including the stuff I forget to factor in, like meetings and emails. I recommend this to everyone, especially visual people. It looks just like a calendar interface so there's very little learning curve. Timely is beautiful, easy, and --dare I say it -- rewarding to use.

Pros

The visual, colorful, easy to use interface. The integration with Rescue Time, which helps me remember what I did.

Cons

None. I work in UI/UX and I have no constructive crtiticism for Timely. Well done.

Jennyffer

Industry: Translation and Localization

Timely is an essential tool for my translation business

Pros

Working as a freelance translator, I needed a tool to plan my daily schedule and I came across Timely. It's the best planning tool I've found so far. At a single glance, I can know if my schedule for the week/day is already full or if I can keep accepting new assignments. I also started tracking the time I spent on each of my projects, which allowed me to realise just how little time I spent actually working because ultimately my day was full of distractions. Timely has allowed me not only to keep track of my ongoing and future projects, but also to optimize my work time and it does so beautifully: it is very easy to use and visually appealing. There are tons of extra features that I don't use, such as automatic time tracking and project budgeting, but it's still perfect for what I need. Couldn't work without it!

Cons

Maybe, just maybe, it's a little "too large" for my needs, so to keep things minimal, a plan with just the basic features would be welcome.

Elizabeth

Industry: Program Development

Perfect for entrepreneurs

Timely has provided me with a simple and professional tool for tracking time that is cost effective and efficient. I don't need to spend a lot of time preparing back up for invoices because Timely produces a professional report that is flexible enough to be adapted to the needs of each client. It saves me so much time and is a great value for the money.

Pros

Timely is so easy to use and very intuitive. It is so simple to set up new clients and projects and the connection to my calendar is great. My favorite feature is the reporting function that creates professional looking billing summaries that support invoicing. (I continue to use the old reporting format as that works best for me). One unexpected benefit is how much it has helped me track how I'm using my time. Having the dashboard visual that shows how my hours have been allocated and when has been very helpful for time management.

Cons

It's so minor but the range in colors for projects is pretty limited.

Lauren

Timely is the best thing to happen to our business!

As a medical office, we use medical documentation software so we can appropriately document and bill for services. However, when we started selling retail wellness products and offering other wellness services, using our EMR was much too cumbersome to keep track of these things - we didn't want to have to set up a whole case for someone who just came in to buy a set of weights, and most of the things that Timely does fell on me - keeping track of inventory, tracking used visits against packages, etc. When I found Timely, it almost seemed too good to be true. Other software would track inventory, but not packages. Timely not only did everything I wanted and more, but it's a user-friendly software. Very intuitive. It was easy to train my staff on the system and has taken a lot off my plate.

Pros

Timely tracks product inventory, package purchases, has a scheduling module, reports for sales and many other things, a place to write notes associated with each visit, and is simply easy to use.

Cons

The ONLY thing I'd say is that I wish if I entered a client twice, it would warn me before creating the client a second time. The good thing is that there is an option to merge customers if you realize you did create someone more than once.

mandy