(1,095)

1,095

• Pros

• "This software was very user friendly and had everything you would need to manage properties! I loved this software and all it's capabilities!"

• "I love that you can work on multiple properties at the same time. It is super easy and user friendly!"

• "Easy to use this software. Great company to handle any questions"

• Cons

• "sometimes freezes up on me. other than that great. "

• "The cost is pretty reasonable, but AF does tend to stick in extra fees. They are all disclosed, but a flat fee would help."

• "I like the software itself, but the the cost is high for companies with a low inventory as it's not truly "per unit". "

Browse AppFolio Property Manager Reviews

Drew from MH Properties

Amazing Property Manager for Small-to-Medium Companies

The biggest issue my company had was advertising vacancies. We were relying on walk-in tenants, which has not been a good source for 5-10 years. AppFolio is one-click to post to multiple free websites and syncs with Apartments.com if your company goes that route. Ease of use and great training/help files will keep us with them for years to come.

Pros

First and foremost, the value of the product. You get everything you need for cheaper than most of the other products out there. For my company, we transitioned from Buildium to AppFolio and instantly reaped the rewards. AppFolio provided us with an inexpensive company website, a quick and easy tool to post our vacancies to multiple websites, and great assistance during set-up.

Cons

I know some of the more expensive options offer more competitive pricing tools and a little more automation. Also, AppFolio had a few issues (like maintenance personnel not being able to see pictures on work orders using their mobile devices) that took AppFolio a while to start addressing.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Cost vs. benefits. We are a medium size company (750 multifamily/single-family units) and did not need as many bells and whistles.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Dear Drew, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We're happy that your transition to AppFolio was a good one and that you are already reaping the benefit!

James from Adams Housing, LLC

Great Initially but Caters to Larger Companies Now

My overall experience has been generally positive however I wish they would offer the same features and services to all of their clients regardless of their portfolio size. If you already have the technology available and a cost structure in place to offer these services, I don't see how portfolio size matters. Overall, it's a good product but they're starting to nickel and dime customers for services previously included in the monthly subscription prices. They're also releasing a lot of cool new tools such as the artificial intelligence assistance however you should verify that you're going to be able to access all of the tools you want to before signing up as you might discover that you don't meet their minimum portfolio size to take advantage of such features.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use and that it's got everything integrated from inspections to maintenance to accounting to contract management. It also posts my listings to a bunch of websites automatically.

Cons

It was initially a perfect fit for our company. We wanted our website and property management software integrated and we loved the features such as the tenant portal etc. In the past couple of years, it seems that they are gearing themselves more toward large companies (1000+ units) as they are only making certain features available to their larger clients (i.e. Lisa AI / artificial intelligence secretary) despite having the technology already to accommodate all clients regardless of company size. Additionally, we paid a lofty website setup fee when we originally enrolled in the software in 2014. They charge anywhere from $1000-5000 to redesign the website and as of March 2021, they are forcing everyone to migrate their website over to a new design and imposing a monthly fee to host the website in addition the the regular monthly fee.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Because it was a better value for the money and seemed more user-friendly.

Paola from Texas GLocal Partners

Customer Support is horrible

I have worked with other Property Management programs in the past. The company I worked for chose to switch to appfolio the many features it offered to our clients. In particular our Associations and Board members. I started using the software and as a new user I had many questions. Every time I have an issue to resolve or a specific question not covered in their "training videos" which are ok but only cover the basics, it takes me weeks and months to get support. Imagine not being able to answer a basic accounting question or have one of your assistant admins not being able to perform basic book keeping because Appfolio customer reps don't know how to work to program or don't know much about accounting. I have been pending and bounced back and fourth for weeks and over a month to answer basic program admin user features. This program may be able to take you to the moon and back but if support is garbage, then the software is worthless for the user. In short, it is making me look bad before my clients because I'm unable to perform tasks because Appfolio support team is deficient and don't even know how to assist the clients. Even for the easiest most basic issue, you won't get anyone, you have to start a case and wait around 3 days to get your first response.

Pros

It is fairly user friendly. Onboarding team was friendly.

Cons

1.- Customer Support is your worse nightmare. 2.- I can no longer receive over the phone payments, 3.- It has been very difficult for many of my users to login. 4.- It takes me too many steps to move from one function to the next and tabs open and accumulate making your viewing experience confusing.5.-The onboarding process and the way the information was placed made me think they had an unexperienced person doing a fill in the blank job. I don't believe they understand what they are really doing while importing the information from one software to the next.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] of the company liked the fact that it was cloud based, during sales calls they offered terrific customer support which is a lie.

Brooks from 2B Living

Best software on the market

Overall, we are extremely happy customers and plan to be Appfolio customers for life.

Pros

Appfolio has not only a lot of functionality, but is easy to use across our entire organization. It has become the primary backbone of our property management business and we truly view Appfolio as a Partner, not a technology service provider.

Cons

Our primary critique with Appfolio is that they tend not to let other good real estate tech products plug into their software via API. In other words, they like to build new products/functions in-house instead of via partnership or integration. There are pros and cons, but in general I would like to see Appfolio play nicer with other prop tech products.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Appfolio is a superior product and company who actively invests and innovates.

Daniele from Pembroke Realty Group

Easy to Use and Always Improving

Pros

AppFolio is so easy to use! When learning a new task, we often find ourselves exclaiming, "That's it?!" The program is easy to set up and use. AppFolio has allowed us to automate many of our processes including posting rents, calculating management fees and owner distributions, processing payables, tracking tenant and vendor insurance, recurring work orders, sending monthly financial packets and much more. We love that all of our owners and tenants have access to a portal and that communicating with them via email or text is quick and effortless. When we do need help, the AppFolio team is always there for us. From onboarding through support, you know that the AppFolio team is there to help and make sure you're making the most of the program. We couldn't be happier with our decision to use AppFolio!

Cons

A big portion of our portfolio is Commercial. I think AppFolio was originally geared toward residential management. They've made a ton of progress toward commercial properties, but sometimes I wish the commercial features were more robust (example: CAM recoveries). Though this is sometimes a "con", we do not regret our decision to use AppFolio for our entire portfolio. They continually add new features and improve old ones, so I'm confident that we'll see more robust commercial features in the future.

Danny from Absolute Cam Services

Industry: Facilities Services

Data Configuration and Segregation of Data by Association

I think overall it has been a good experience but the on-boarding team should highlight the things we need to do to make it easier down the road when we grow to more that 2 or 3 associations. When doing work for an association we need ways of setting temporary defaults to allow to do billing, payments, reporting etc. without having to enter the association over and over. Even this survey was not set up right. You ask what the industry was and none of them dealt with what we do like Association Management.

Pros

It is easy to use for sure and support and on boarding was great.

Cons

The product is too slanted toward rentals or property management with one association. If you had 60 associations in a portfolio you have all your GL Accounts, Bank Accounts, Vendors all together. This is just good design from a functional stand point making customers name things to know the difference. You should keep things separated by Association. Weak design from a data structure point of view making it fit the small companies but not good for the larger portfolios.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

All-in-one vs Integration model Communications Accounting Management Portal /CAM / Director / Owner Maintenance / Work Order / Vendor management Violations / ARC / Electronic Forms / Click and send from remote devices

Joseph from Windermere Property Management by Ebright/Wight LLC

Great Software, Better Tech Support

Fantastic software.

Pros

User interface and tech support. The user interface is intuitive, more often than not at least, and the tech support is incredibly responsive and helpful.

Cons

It is build on a Cash basis accounting system (extremely helpful for property management but numbingly difficult for COA/HOA management, which is by definition an Accrual game)

Marna from Summit Realty

Moved from desk top to online Appfolio

My business was desk top based before Appfolio. I had no idea that we were in the dark ages and since we have upgraded to Appfolio the business much more efficient in comparison. Our owner client base has increased in the past year. The website is user friend to navigate, applying is simple, great layout and appearance. I feel fortunate be with Appfolio since most of us do not see each other and the office is close to the public but we are still able to work efficiently even from home. Best decision I ever made for my brokerage.

Pros

The program is intuitive. If you think through the process of how something should work...that is Appfolio in a nutshell. The programming and processes just make sense. The interface is user friendly and I am very fortunate to have found this program and would highly recommend this online software. It's increased our reach in advertising rentals, streamline our communication with owners and tenants, higher efficency in processing work orders and simplified our bookkeeping.

Cons

I do not have a background in bookkeeping so there are areas that mistify me such as clearing accounts, what constitutes a debit or credit in some areas of the program since a negative symbol is not always a debit in the system. I've only been doing this for 1.5 years but I'm learning. I've hired an additional company who is proficient in Appfolio to assist me since I am still in the learning curve.

Jesser from KH Properties

Great Platform

Overall this is a phenomenal platform with top tier customer service. The training and customer service staff trained our employees for us, and now even almost 12 months out, we still have weekly meetings with them to help us develop our work flows, and learn the new and updated functionality of the software.

Pros

The ability to have everything in one place. We switched to this software from another we had been using, and this has allowed us to not only gather better and more accurate data, but also has alleviated our need to make our own reports in excel as all of the company's key indicators can be measured all in the same system.

Cons

There are occiasionally things that pop up, that seem very remedial and common sense that don't happen. For instance, the entire platform allows you to sort your reports and data by dates. But if you want to see the delinquency notes on a tenant, you have to either look at all of them on the report or none of them. Or the ability once a move-out is complete to click "Undo" Move-out and correct a mistake, but once a move-in is completed, there is no undo button.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The ability for the finanical software to integrate with our current existing accounting information, as well as the customer service level we experienced.

Joshua from ADEA Property Management Co.

Great Property Management Software with Excellent Features

We have been using Appfolio since 2011 and along with it's easy of use, it's customer service is amazing!

Pros

The features provided in Appfolio are numerus and very well implemented. The software is easy to use, straight forward, and all people that can browse a webpage can use Appfolio

Cons

The only con with Appfolio is that it is on the higher price side for property management software but I do believe it is worth the cost.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The options and features it offered were superior to the others.

Susan from Hi-Valley Development Corp.

Comprehensive Solution to Rental Property Management

We use Appfolio to manage our multi-family rentals and our commercial rentals all in one robust property management platform. We enjoy the multitude of automated functions that promote a streamlined workflow from maintenance to management and the ease of collaboration this suite provides. The real-time activity tracking provides excellent audit control, and the products intuitive design combined with content rich training materials make this one of the easiest programs to learn and use. The search feature is hands down the greatest resource for saving time when you need help with any feature.

Pros

That the software is intuitive, user friendly and the support and training are outstanding. I am truly impressed with ongoing emphasis to improve the software based on customer input and trends in the industry. The company's farsighted mentality gives us comfort this solution will continue to serve us well in the years to come, and the solid reputation and business model provides a sense of security only previously matched by one other software product, and AppFolio has grow to become an industry standard.

Cons

That the Guest Card widget cannot operate independent of the listing. We do not always have a listing, then we are forced to manually record guest cards. If there was a widget just for the Guest Card then we could embed this as a link on our website and prospects can feed data directly into a guest card which we can then utilize the tools such as waitlist or sending a application, etc. Some of the seemingly simplest and easiest product suggestions seem never to gain any traction with the programmers. Like asking to add make and model to the fixed asset report filters.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Product features, product was intuitive and user friendly, great data migration and training support, peers in the industry where making similar choice, strong reviews, the sales team provided full transparency, and the cost was reasonable given the features and benefits this product provided.

Brandon from RE/MAX Results Realty

Requested Features Still Have Not Been Added

The software does a very good job, I fee like they could make some changes to make it a little more customizable and it could be great!

Pros

The accounting is the most robust I have found and do like most of those features.

Cons

I am still unable to text all my tenants at once for emergency situations, this has been requested for years now by hundreds of managers along with myself and its obvious that Appfolio does not listen to most requests no matter how many people have asked for it. I also do not like that I cannot use an outside screening source and the very high cost to screen through appfolio. I also do not like the high cost of a website.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

I was referred by another property management company that I know the owner of.

Shawn from Beacon Management, LLC

Would recommend AppFolio

Automated reporting, and records management for property managers is efficient and works well.

Pros

Easy to use and understand at the site level in most respects. Reporting to various owners is automated. Includes free on line payments for our residents.

Cons

The marketing of vacant units to various advertisers was a real plus but this has gone downhill since we originally adopted use of AppFolio.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio is better understood at the site level and over time AppFolio accounting features have become more robust.

Sherry from TR Lawing Realty Inc.

Appfolio Review

I love Appfolio and how they always are trying to improve the software!

Pros

Easy navigation throughout each piece. The leasing and accounting flows easily to the reporting. All of the pieces link very nicely.

Cons

The balance sheet sums all of the bank accounts into operating cash and escrow cash. It makes it hard to see individual bank account balances on the balance sheet. The late fee program is very laborious when dealing with 2000+ units and residents. The minimum fee bills on a unit even if you didn't collect income. There is a lot of work to make sure we don't bill when the unit is vacant.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Previous experience with a small portfolio.

Marianne from E.V. Bishoff Company

Streamlined Accounting

Appfolio has streamlined Accounts Receivable. The lookup function is great, the ability to text is fantastic. Communicating with tenants is much easier.

Pros

Flexibility and ease of use. It allows you to delete transactions and edit them. Great training videos and articles. Enhancements and updates are made regularly.

Cons

Inability to assign due dates on manual invoices and an easier override of monthly late charges, making the latter process quite laborious. My only other criticism is applying credits in the diagnostics panel. It should populate the fields and then let you edit. Instead you have to enter everything line by line.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Ease of use and two very talented sales rep who made our choice a no brainer.

Chelsey from Asset Property Managemet

Easy to use, no major flaws

The experience has been amazing. Customer service is quick, and we were able to decrease the amount of physical checks in our business office by 50% in the first two years.

Pros

I love the ease of use of this software. It gives me so many options for reporting, investigating any issues, and my tenants love that they can pay online and request maintenance online as well. I love the look of it, it is modern without being gaudy.

Cons

I only wish that changing ownership for 1099 reporting was easier (IE partners that get monthly distributions but want the 1099 reported to the partnership name)

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We tested several products most of which I forget the names of now, eventually landing on Appfolio because it gave us the widest range of options while only having a few things missing from what we wanted.

TJ from Pioneer Management

Great Product but support has changed

Most items have been great. The software meets most of our needs. The UI is great. The leasing call center was a disappointment on the time it took for our callers to get someone. So we had to move away from that service. Tech support was great for many years. I'm not sure if things have changed or staff is short but it takes longer and longer or no response at all when I put in a support request. When I started in 2010 it was almost instant service and or someone called and walk us through the problem we were having. Now its basically email-only tech support which is the same information that I can get from the help and training section and or no call or no email. I'm not sure what has happened over the last few years.

Pros

ease of use, good ui, handles most of our issues in property management.

Cons

Suppressed fees and or items paid directly to the property management company first go to the property and creates extra work to correct each month. For instance application fees. The fees are paid to the property then repaid to the management company. Then if you have a reason to refund that fee it creates a diagnostic issue to refund back. Its just extra work that is not needed. If the fees were able to be paid directly to the management company and bypass the property all together it wouldn't make much difference.

UI looks like Windows 94

corinne from code management

Only one complaint

I love the software, I hate how much it cost me. Please adjust for the small end user

Pros

Easse of use and how everything is tied in from advertising the unit to renting it, leasing and collecting the rent then finally moving them out :)

Cons

Cost, I think it is too expensive. I do not understand why when you have more and more users my bill keeps going up. for God's sake scottie send this small business owner a line..we are drowning in the cost but can't compete without the software....so I pay..

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Oddly enough at the time it was reasonably priced.

Sarah from Beacon HOA Management

Appfolio makes our business run smoothly!

Appfolio adds so much value to the services we provide to our HOA clients. We wouldn't want to do business without it.

Pros

Appfolio is so easy to use, both for us as managers and for homeowners using the portal. Appfolio has spent a great deal of time figuring out which features are the most beneficial and perfecting those features.

Cons

There are a few very minor technical things but I am sure they will get fixed as Appfolio is constantly making improvements.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Ease of use and customer support.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks, Sarah! We're so glad you are finding AppFolio easy to use with your HOA portfolio and look forward to continuing to partner with you!

CJ from ICM Rescources, Inc.

Very Nice Property Management Solution

I have used Appfolio as a maintenance technician, property manager and now accountant for the whole portfolio and I have had a pretty easy time with it every step of the way. I would recommend to at least give it a try before selecting another software.

Pros

Easy to use for users of all skill and job levels. Makes tracking Receivables and Payables very simple. Constantly being updated and enhanced with new features at no new cost (some do cost but the majority are free updates) Customer support is always quick to help and respond. I feel like I get the same support agent 95% of the time, which makes it feel comfortable and like a working relationship rather than some random customer support person every time.

Cons

Some of the editing and finer tuning options are lacking. (Example: not being able to rearrange line items on a bill or journal entry. You can only delete or add new to the bottom, no editing between without having to manually redo everything from the edit down.)

I am not sure.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks, CJ. We appreciate you leaving us a review. We are constantly listening to your feedback to inform our product and we'll be sure to forward your feedback to our Product Team! It's great to hear that you are using AppFolio in all areas of your business.

Jon from Allstar Property Services, Inc

Powerful - Easy to Use and Learn

AppFolio has been able to streamline and give so much more efficiency for day to day operations that we're able to scale our business at a much more dramatic pace.

Pros

The all encompassing ability to power a website to sophisticated accounting, maintenance controls, tenant/owner communications is all at your fingertips anywhere with a mobile device or computer.

Cons

If you're not a seasoned bookkeeper and you're managing somewhat sophisticated accounting of properties, you can dig yourself a hole real quick.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We got a better feeling with Appfolio and their sales team.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Hi Jon, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We know transitions to any new software solution can be tough and we're glad you chose AppFolio to streamline your business!

Jessica from JAB Property Management, Inc.

Sketchy at first, but FELL IN LOVE!

We have really grown to love Appfolio. It just simplifies life in the office and makes our job easier and allows us to be more efficient for our tenants.

Pros

This software can literally do everything. It is a one stop shop. I got rid of 7 different (paid) programs and now have JUST Appfolio- which does the work of all of them.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about the software except that they are still growing thus the functionality is still growing. I strongly disliked the "car salesman" pitch of the sales team. They promised a lot of things that the software couldn't deliver at first; however, we learned to get around it and in some cases, the functionality was built out (during our first year with them)and that feature is now available.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

I did a side by side comparison and in the end, Yardi just couldn't keep up with the Appfolio functionality for the price.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks for the feedback, Jessica. We're glad to hear that you've grown to love AppFolio!

Deana from Statewide Property Management

Reports & Move-outs

I love it!! I just have a few request to make it perfect :)

Pros

The ease of applications and lease signing! I also like some parts of the reports.

Cons

The Unit Avail. doesn't show the name of the existing resident or the future one, so I have to transfer it to excel and add that for every property every 2 weeks. I'm always concerned about notices being put in correct. I can't print a report to show signed lease renewals by month.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Our Sales rep Jessi was Awesome!!

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Hi Deana, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate the feedback and we are constantly striving to delight our customers through software improvements. Please continue to share your feedback with us!

Angela from RTK Rentals, LLC

AppFolio is Very Good Property Management Software

Overall I am happy with AppFolio and like that I can keep necessary information in one place. I also know it is helping us keep our accounting more accurate and although the process can be difficult, I know it's a good thing. I am encouraged that their customer service has improved a lot and I'm hopeful it continues. I feel like I matter as a customer and that's important. Now that we have been using this software daily for 2+ years I don't know how we'd live without it or something similar.

Pros

As a property management company, it keeps everything in one place. I'm able to track and store almost all necessary information. I also like that AppFolio continually works on improving their software, regularly implementing new helpful features.

Cons

In the beginning, the customer service went downhill really fast, such as sometimes taking a week to get back to me and then having someone that didn't know what they were doing or how to fix our problem. I was very unhappy and thinking we had made a mistake in purchasing, but I can tell in the last year especially they have really worked on improving their customer service with quicker turnaround and better-trained staff helping. I almost always have a positive experience now. There are still some features that we really need for rental management that I'm hopeful are added soon.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

An aquaintance from a larger company in a big city told us they had considered AppFolio and although they didn't go with AF, they thought it would be a good software for a company of our size.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks for the review, Angela! We are committed to providing you with the support needed to run your business. Please don't hesitate to reach out!

Denise from The Management Group, Inc

Always evolving

We have been with Appfolio for 9 years - and during that time there has been significant improvements in the system. Our company is a heavy user and utilize as much of the functionality of the system that we can - and as such we are frequently asked to provide feedback to the development team when they are considering options. We are committed to our relationship with Appfolio, however, due to API restrictions, if we have much more growth we may need to consider alternative solutions.

Pros

The software is intuitive, user friendly and a stable platform. They a continually developing additional functionality and release updates regularly. The customer forum is great - you can collaborate with other users, seek our solutions and make recommendations that development will consider for future releases.

Cons

It does not have an open API and they are unwilling to consider this for clients. While they are routinely pushing out enhancements and are developing additional functionality, and they say the functionality is based on client feedback - it seems like development resources are not focused on this things that clients really 'need'.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Yardi was more robust than we needed at the time - and their licensing model made the cost outside of our range.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks for partnering with us over the last 9 years. Denise! We look forward to partnering for the years to come!

Vanessa from Herman Boswell, inc.

Promas to Appfolio - The Great Journey

As I said, onboarding was difficult. That was mainly due to how our dated was stored on our end and turnover we experienced during the transition. The service is amazing, and I can't imagine not having Appfolio.

Pros

Switching from Promas to Appfolio would be like switching from mailing a letter to emailing a letter. The service is faster, more reliable, easier to do, takes less time, is more efficient. My list could go on and on. The main features that caught our eye were the ability to accept rent payments online for seamless accounts receivable from tenants, and online maintenance requests. For so long, we would take maintenance requests by phone or email. It was unreliable at best. Having this online feature gives us a smooth workflow from work order submission to mailing a check for work completed. Truly, Appfolio has saved our office countless hours! Oh and the customer service is awesome! I love how quickly we get responses with actual answers to our questions that solve our problems!

Cons

The onboarding was very tedious. Our Promas software was housed on an internal server at our office. That is the primary reason our transition was not that smooth to start off. Overall, we don't have many complaints. Of course, we all want cheaper software, but you get what you pay for. There are a few tweaks we have requested that Appfolio has implemented, and they continuously have updates and new features. It's really exciting! I do wish our owners could see live feed of their account balances in their portal and run their own reports as they wish.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Customer reviews, and features available.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks for the review. We know the transition to any new software can be tough and we're happy that you found our service to be helpful during that transition.

Vivian from Investment Realty, Inc.

They know property management!

This program allows us to do more work without having to add more personnel which helps the bottom line for sure.

Pros

It was very easy to set up the implementation team was very helpful. The user friendliness of using it every day is the best with it super search feature.

Cons

There are a few work arounds that we have to do for our maintenance team but we know with the new features they keep adding all the time it will only be time before they will make an improvement that will help with this work around like all the other ones that we used to have to do.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The other program at the time did not have any conversion to help transfer all our data over to the new program. We went through that with the old program and we was not going to go through that again.

Doug from HALO Managers corp

From Doug Hancock HALO Manager's Corp 1450 units under management

Pros

Ease of use, quick search, archived records, online payments, ability to scan files into clients portal, pay bills online. We basically did a 15-20 year upgrade . They said when we bought the software it would be like adding an extra employee to our office and after a years use, I would agree. The data entry alone for our bill payments was a two to three day job with our old software, now just a few hours to pay 300-400 invoices a month.

Cons

The biggest frustration that I have with the software program is during the transition from when a tenant gives notice to move out and getting a new tenant into that same unit. For whatever reason, when a tenant gives notice and we put that information into the system and click the notice prompt and give the date of their move out (usually 30 days). That unit is going to be vacant and we begin to market for a new tenant, however, when we find a new tenant and we want to put the new tenant name and the deposit money into the system under that unit, we are UNABLE to put a pending tenant into the system until there is a complete move out. We need to get that money in the bank and a new pending tenant into our upcoming move ins. Usually the way we have done it is to manipulate the move out dates and then put the charges in later when the real move out occurres They must be a way to put PENDING tenants into to a future vacant unit in an easier way. We love the software, but because we have 30-50 move outs and move ins each month, it is very frustrating that when a tenant gives notice, the program should then allow pending tenant information to be entered to that future vacant unit and right now we can't.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Dear Doug, we appreciate your review. If you are trying to move in a new tenant while there is an existing tenant in the unit, just make sure that the dates do not overlap and you will be able to perform this action!

Cassandra from Northwest Select Real Estate Services

Good choice

I'm quite happy, overall. Integrations is my biggest challenge and what would drive me to leave, if I were to predict a reason. I'm having no issue working around it, but I'm about creating efficiencies which I feel like I am restricted from doing. So far it's been something I'm willing to work around since we're small and they have so many other great things about them.

Pros

We were on a somewhat antiquated system, so improvement was easy to recognize. AppFolio does a lot of things well. It improved connection with residents AND our ability to have better records both for tenants and for staff (liability support/reduction), and much easier for staff to know what is happening across the board with any one resident or prospect. We are still learning! The transition was fast and friendly. Loved their tenant liability option.

Cons

1) OnBoarding was very tech-oriented and a challenge to adapt easily because staff is working on a calendar. I have some a-ha moments that i just couldn't get the OnBoarding team to understand (even though they were very capable folks) because in this tech world, it's either a or b, there is no c option. Well, later I'm finding the c option IS available. 2) They make frequent updates, and communicate them well. The challenge is working them into your schedule to understand so you can stay on top of them because your team will do the same---someone needs to know them. 3) Other updates seem to be in holding status for way too long, when they'd help users so much. 4) Our biggest complaint is AppFolio's unwillingness to work with other software integrations. They really cripple my ability by being so protective of.....whatever it is. Most other softwares integrate fine. They do so much so well, I feel like it's time to stop being so proprietary. That would change any element of dissatisfaction that I encounter. It appears so flexible, but it's not. The larger companies don't all want their screening or leases....so I still am running other programs which is a pain. Their system doesn't work for me (having a one stop shop for 'everyone' isn't realistic) in all areas as it seemed to in the beginning. So modify your expectations. I would have still purchased, but been happier with where i landed.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Two easy reasons (I'd spent time prior reviewing): 1) A close colleague was using and really liked it AppFolio. 2) Buildium hasn't been as user friendly as other options.

Pamela from Maez & Company Property Mgmt

Switched from LiveRez to Appfolio

Pros

The accounting is thorough and generally easy to use. Originally, 5 years ago, some of the ways they did things was different but over the years, things have been much easier & user friendly. I used another accounting property management software & it was a nightmare integrating with QuickBooks. Half the time it wouldn't migrate right. This has made my accounting & booking much simpler, easier & faster. The end of the month accounting to owners takes me less than half the time it used to. Very happy overall

Cons

The fact you can edit the website ourselves. I've used other property management software (LiveRez) and you can update pictures, website page wording and descriptions directly. AppFolio requires you to submit to their team and it take a few days to get done. In this day & age, that should be something we can do ourselves as we need to. Plus updating pages allows for search engines to rank us better.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Better accounting was the main reason & the fact it broadcast properties on many other websites was a plus

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks, Pamela. It's great to hear you are finding the accounting side of AppFolio easy to use!

Joe from Latter & Blum Property Management

#1 single-family residential PM software

Our experience with Appfolio has been great! It has created efficiencies within our single-family division that didn’t exist previously. I’m optimistic that over time they will develop more features that will allow us to be even more efficient.

Pros

It’s robust yet easy to use, dependable, constantly evolving, their developers listen to their customer’s needs and if possible delivers, issues are handled quickly by their web based customer service team, and it’s affordable.

Cons

The layout of the property financial statements are subpar and difficult for our clients to understand; its not the best software choice to manage commercial or multi-family properties; it’s lack of customization

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

I felt more comfortable. It seemed like the company was new, had a lot of money and energy behind it, and was here to stay. I was also sold on its perceived simplicity. Additionally, I liked that it was being used by other well respected single-family property management companies in the industry.

Janee from The Jacques Company

Great product overall! Highly recommend!

Overall, I am very satisfied with AppFolio Property Manager. We run a tight organization and I attribute much to this software.

Pros

This software keeps me organized and on top of managing a large inventory of properties and clients. -It has a strong financial reporting side that encompasses everything necessary to operate and deliver to owners as well as tenants. -We receive great feedback from the tenants as this software provides a very seamless experience from application process all the way through move outs. -User friendly, easy to navigate. -Reports to Experian credit bureau and now RentBureau. -I also love that on the property page, tenant page, owner page we can add activity reminders. -The options of reports are great and the customization of them are endless. -Owners, tenants, vendors all have portals to work in giving them access to their information/accounts. -AppFolio is always working to improve features and add new services that could benefit property management companies. -Newer feature is an app for tenants to use to pay online and schedule maintenance. Love it! Many pros. You won't be disappointed.

Cons

Overall, I don't have many cons and really had to think up what our biggest frustrations are with the software. Not bad if this is all I could come up with. We work around it because overall we are very satisfied with the product. -Small improvements that need to be made based on user experiences are seemingly overlooked as not important. Example, you can now email tenants/owners from their page. If the email does not go through there is no notification so we are unaware that tenants/owners did not receive our communication. So for now, I do not use that feature if it is something I need to be certain is received by other party. -There is also a sensitivity with the new showings feature that if a booked party does not reply exactly with CONFIRM, then the booking will automatically cancel. It creates many headaches daily. Cannot reply with YES, CONFIRMED, OK, I'LL BE THERE, etc. -Owners would like real time details in their owner portal, not just past monthly reports to review. All of these items have been suggested to AppFolio to review for tweaking by many users.

Kendell from Integrity Place Realty and Property Management Co

Our experience with Appfolio

We used to have to make lots of phone calls and texts with people that want to see our vacancies. Now they can schedule viewings on our web site. We used to have applicants fill out paper applications. Then we would type in much of the information in the credit reporting software so we could run credit reports. Now, applicants complete an online application and we click a button to run the credit and background reports. Once we approve the applicant, we click a button to move them over as the tenants of the unit. It automatically emails and text's them a link to their own tenant portal where they can pay rent online and make maintenance requests online. Appfolio is like having one or two employees that don't need to use the restroom, take breaks or that you have to have workers comp insurance on or pay employment taxes for, etc. It truly is a great solution for property managers.

Pros

I love how easy it is to advertise our vacancies. Then the interested parties can schedule viewings and apply for the property right from our web site. Once we select a tenant, we can transfer all of their information from their application over to make them our active tenant with the click of a button. I love how easy it is for tenants to pay their rent online or at pay stations and it goes directly into our bank account and calculates the management fees.

Cons

The reports could be a little better. On multiple units, the reports don't break down the expenses by unit number very well. So, the owners aren't able to tell on their reports what a management fee charge was for because the charge isn't broken down by unit number. As a result, we get calls from upset owners and our accounting department has to create reports outside of the software to make sure the owners are satisfied. This takes extra time when the software could easily break down these expenses if it was programmed to do so. Our accounting department said that the bookkeeping side of the software could be better.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

It seemed to be much more user friendly and had more features that would work best for us.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thank you for your review, Kendall! We appreciate the feedback.

chelsea from Sassouni Management

AppFolio Property Manager review

Pros

cloud based master search function often see new feature upgrades + introductions

Cons

Does not partner with other valuable services we use (compliance: site compli, external legal counsel, security deposit alternative products). Does not lend itself well to using external brokers for leasing purposes. Would like for EXTERNAL brokers to submit applications to us via the platform. Does not have a good case management system for individual projects and/or legal cases. Does not lend itself to very necessary compliance efforts. We require tenants to submit certain types of documentation to us on a yearly basis.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

clearly superior, although not perfect.

Lyman from Amaxima Realty & Property Mgmt. LLC.

Appfolio & Me

I love it! I found the Appfolio program did save me time with all parts of property management duties I have.

Pros

Once I learned the program, Appfolio made the job easier. The owner statements were easy for my owners to understand. Love the ability to upload copy of invoices to owner statements, so they could see my deductions if there were any on the given month. This saved me time from answering calls from owners that had questions about the owner statement. The online features made it easy for Owners & Tenants to see everything related to their property.

Cons

Being a very small company it was a little more expensive than other programs out there. The learning curve was a bit tuff, but Help was always there to assist me if needed.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

In speaking with other Property Managers, most recommended Appfolio.

Jason from R. G. Hill and Company

Best investment our firm has ever made

Incredible software, customer service and company. The gold standard.

Pros

Ease of use and efficiency. Appfolio has automated and connected what were once manual processes into a sophisticated and professional cloud based solution that represents our company with Tenants, Property Owners and Employees exceptionally well. The intuitiveness is remarkable and our time savings are significant. Amazing product, service and company.

Cons

Portfolio analysis. Maturing company and service but enhancements come fast.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Customer service, ease of use, workflows.

Herb from Townsmen Properties LLC

AppFolio is terrific and continues to get better

Overall, providing the initial data from our old system for the setup was easy, of course you need to provide accurate data. Everything went well and whether i provided PDF's or Excel files, the only real errors were made on data we provided. It was easy enough to correct. We are thrilled with AppFolio since making the switch in November 2018.

Pros

Easy to use web based software, includes apps for management and homeowner/tenant. AppFolio continues to make improvements and they appear, never an update on our end needed, love that since it is web based. Set up a vendor once to use across all condominium associations the vendor provides services for, good work order system and improvements made based on user feedback.

Cons

I would like the ability to modify the user level access myself, but that isn't a real problem, just a nicety. There needs to be the ability to create folders or directories to upload the condominium documents so they can be categorized, otherwise an owner needs to look through a significant amount of files. I understand that is in the works though.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The AppFolio presentation blew away Tops on both presentation and capabilities.

Mary from Spencer/Hines Property Management, LLC

Best Software EVER!

From the beginning it was easy to migrate our data, and we never looked back. It is so awesome for our boss to be out in the field, call us to ask a question - then say never mind "It is all right here on AppFolio" on his phone or tablet. Easy to find just what you are looking for and the Support/Help system is the best I have ever experienced in a software. On line CHAT is a lifesaver.

Pros

User friendly & intuitive. The app and online log in for tenants and owners is a game changer. The vendors and work order flow is excellent. Accounting is similar to quickbooks, everyone get it. Unlimited support (for FREE - who offers that?), an excellent online help "System" There are videos, online articles, training you attend live online and/or watch at any time on specific topics. There is a user community for help too. What other software allows you to "Vote" on things you want your software to do - and the programmers work on the request with the most votes. Amazing!! Thank you AppFolio

Cons

That I had to suffer through YARDI for so long before I found AppFolio and we switched.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

They had the best all around package, reviews and very competitive pricing

Krystal from Tiner Properties

Thank you for making our lives easier!

Fantastic! I have been impressed with the way that they have continued to grow the effectiveness of the product over the years. Since we started with AF they have added texting and emailing tenants, showing scheduling, leases, merging applicant information, etc etc etc. I honestly can not even think of all the resources they have added off the top of my head, I know there are more. I love being able to be part of the process by providing suggestions and reviews for new functions and features.

Pros

Appfolio has really been a fantastic tool for our Property Management firm. It is highly functional for both accounting and property managers. All information and attachments are also available on one's smartphone through the Appfolio App. Anytime I have any questions, I get help from Appfolio's support team in a timely manner. The search bar is an invaluable resource - being able to look up a tenant, owner, or vendor's information by name, email, address, etc is very helpful. The Owner and Tenant statements are easy to review internally, and easy for the recipient to read and understand. I have utilized other accounting software in the past, and no other platform can come even close to comparing to the functionality of Appfolio. Keep up the good work!

Cons

That I can not set up one owner with separate bank accounts for each of their properties. It is the only think about Appfolio that drives me nuts!

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We utilized Yardi in our commercial division. It does provide more flexibility than Promas, but the functionality is WAY less. It was also extremely inefficient, and the support sucked.

Sheryl from Foothill Manor Townhouses

Best Property Manager Software I've used in over 22years!

I have had nothing but a great experience with AppFolio. I love the fact that it does everything and that it gets better every single week. I love the functionality of it, that you can send text messages to your residents and get immediate responses back probably 90% of the time, I love the fact that it auto populates all you forms for you. I love that most tenants pay rent online so there are hardly any checks to deposit each month. we can send group messages to an entire unit at the same time either via email or text message. I have never felt lost and there is nothing that I cant figure out how to do on my own. The help section is amazing and there is also a forum where you can also get help from other users. I am so glad my company started using AppFolio. There is so much more that I could tell you about that AppFolio does, be glad there is a limit on how much information I can give you!! It is really great software hands down.

Pros

I love AppFolio, it does everything all together in one place, no need to have multiple programs because AppFolio has everything you need to be organized and professional. You can basically go paperless using this software. It is very easy to learn, there is self help that walks you through things if you forget or need to learn how to do something. They are always adding new things and making AppFolio better. Our company is actually one of there testers so we get the new updates to try before they are even released. AppFolio takes you through the leasing process from start to finish and takes care of everything in between. Your company can upload all the forms you could possibly need as templates (applications, leases, notices, letters, renewals, terminations and you can also make your own letters to add as templates.) All forms auto populate and give you the ability to edit as needed to fit the tenant(s) you are sending to. Everything between you and the tenant can be completed online such as applications, leases, changes in terms, addendums, lease assumptions and more. Tenants and managers are able to sign forms digitally which is great. When everyone has completed signing it automatically send a copy of the signed document to each resident and the property manager. Rent can be paid online, maintenance requests are done online. Keeps all your records in one place. I have never used a better software product and I have been in this business for 22+ years.

Cons

This is a hard one because AppFolio since it started has listened to its users and just about everything we've asked for to make our jobs more efficient and easier they have made happen. There is literally one thing that comes to mind that I wish was different. When you print something from AppFolio you click to print to PDF then it opens a PDF copy of what you are trying to print, then on the PDF you go to file, print, then your printer opens up and you hit print again. to me its a lot of steps just to print something. But if you look at all the pros in this software having to click 4 times to print something is really nothing! (me being lazy or in a hurry) Who knows, one of these days I might come to work and they'll have changed it and it will print with one click!

Julie from Lake Valley Properties, Inc.

Appfolio Saved Our Office

We have been able to increase our accounts without too much work overload due to the functionality of adding new properties/owners and the streamlined nature of the entire program. We could not have done it without Appfolio! Our implementation was extremely organized, and they kept us on track to make sure all deadlines were met to launch at our goal date. We've now been using Appfolio for 18 months and I have not had one major issue with functionality, customer service or anything else. I honestly could not be happier and feel I'm getting the best value and peace of mind all at once!

Pros

What I like the most about Appfolio..... that I can come into work daily and not stress about overall functionality of software. I know it's going to do what it needs to do, and if it doesn't, customer service will help me sort things out!

Cons

I cannot speak to this. I used a different program before Appfolio that was nothing short of a nightmare, so I am grateful for every bit of Appfolio from it's ease of use to it's nice, friendly design.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Since we were jaded from Genesis, we tested both and just liked the feel of Appfolio's design and ease of use. We wanted to start completely fresh with something up to date and entirely new. A property manager friend uses Propertyware and recommended them, but it just didn't feel like a good fit after seeing how it operates in comparison to Appfolio.

Yan from Millennium R.E., LLC

Great product and really terrible support

It is a tough call because the product is good. We migrated from Yardi and don't regret it BUT if I knew how weak the support team and the nightmare that we would have (for 7 months we couldn't reconcile bank accounts and the "boarding team" simply vanished) I would most likely have stayed with Yardi.

Pros

The software is definetly the right product. It is intuitive and very easy to use. Having used Yardi for 10+ years this product is simply outstanding. It is definitely not even close to what you can do in Yardi, but for 90% of what most of us do, it is allot easier and quicker then Yardi.

Cons

The company is suffering from a very bad support team. When they sell you the product it almost seems that these guys mastered the art of eSupport and you can solve problems with a click. This couldn't further from the truth. For most of the "how to" problems they are quick to respond and usually send you a quick article on how to. The problem becomes when you have a real problem, like late fees simply not posting the correct amounts at the wrong dates, or bank account balances don't add up...in general bigger problems call for a "we will put our head in the sand and hope it goes away" mentality.

Pamela from Somers & Associates REALTORS, Inc.

Always evolving to keep up with or ahead of the customer!

Loved it then, loving it even more now, hope to never stop using it.

Pros

Most people don't like change, need change and can't get it or can't get it quick enough. Appfolio is so user friendly, allows you to train yourself, reach out for support when needed or allows you to interact with other users in a forum. They say it takes a village sometimes and Appfolio has created that village atmosphere. You have options and so many paths to take but without the feeling of getting totally lost to get to where you need it's almost adventure time every time I log on. I love all the updates for things I didn't even know I needed until they put it out there. They don't just change things and hope you catch on, they notify you of all the updates with an explanation and guide in advance. I've seen them put changes into action that other users have asked for and voted on (yes that's a thing, got to love democracy and what software platform allows it's clients to even have a say on a daily basis? Appfolio does.) If anyone in the relationship is doing wrong by the other it would be our office for not using all that Appfolio has to it's fullest extent. Thank you for allowing us to thrive now and strive towards the ever evolving future of Property Management.

Cons

There have been a few work arounds or new features we didn't quite get it to work the way we wanted but most of it is personal pickiness or just not having the time to train and find a way to make it work. The inspections I know are being updated and getting there but really hoping to be able to do inspections onsite, pictures, notes, having tenants sign electronically off on move in and out condition notes as well as sending them copies at completion as we've seen with some other apps and software programs outside of Appfolio.

Bill from Empire Property Services

Industry: Commercial Real Estate

A "looking forward" Solution

This software has made our lives easier, and more productive. I have been able to send funds to a client who needed them desperately from the deck of a cruise ship. We are all very happy with our choice of AppFolio.

Pros

We have been using AppFolio for five years now. In that time, the features and adaptability of the software have increased significantly. When adopted the software, it really wasn't really geared toward commercial properties or owners associations. Since that time, they have really made it a great solution for us in those segments of the property management profession. They listen. They make changes/additions to the features based on feedback from the users. They can't satisfy every individual firm's specific method of handling an issue, but they really pay attention to providing a feature for the vast majority of users. One amazing feature they added was at a customer conference. At the beginning of the conference, they took a poll of what one feature would the users like. The overwhelming majority selected a calendaring feature. The initial roll out of that feature was released by the end of the two day conference. Since then, the calendar feature has become very robust and a great management tool. Back-up issues are no longer a worry.

Cons

Nothing so far. Another Pro: Another example occurred shortly after the first conference I attended. I was sitting at one of the outstanding mixers. A gentleman sat down next to me, said that he was with AppFolio. He asked if I had any suggestions as a new user. I said that as a data entry convenience (I'm an old programmer from the '60s), I was all about reducing keystrokes. I mentioned that it would be nice if you were in a date field that you could change the date by tapping the + or - keys. Turns out that he is one of the leaders of the firm, and the feature was activated in most date fields by the end of the week.

Response from AppFolio

Replied July 2019

Thank you so much for leaving a review, Bill and for continuing to partner with AppFolio. We look forward to continuing to work together!

Laura from Northwest Commercial Real Estate Investments LLC / Northwest Apartments

AppFolio - a well-rounded leasing and accounting software

Our property management company decided to use AppFolio when we brought all of our bookkeeping in house, taking it from a 3rd party bookkeeping company. At first, we were just looking for bookkeeping software, and AppFolio fit the bill in a reasonably priced package. We soon came to realize how many more features there were with AppFolio, at no additional cost, and how we can streamline much of our leasing process to save time and eliminate typos and duplication of effort. And we came to find out how AppFolio listens to its user and improves its product - "What's New" item pop up weekly or more often! We've made several suggestions ourselves, and now they're part of AppFolio functionality! We consider AppFolio our partner in helping us serve our investors and our tenants.

Pros

There are several things that I like about this software. I think the top of my list is that there is so much functionality related to apartment leasing/management that is all integrated - basic general ledger accounting, tenant accounts receivable, screening applicants, online leasing, attachment of invoices, statements, agreements, etc to appropriate pages in AppFolio, vendor payments, owner payments, 1099's, financial reporting, etc, and on top of that, it's an online platform available from any computer or mobile device, live and up-to-date for all users.

Cons

Currently my biggest frustration is RUBS for utilities. The feature is set up in such a manner that we are unable to use it because it allocates costs to anything considered a "unit" which for us includes non-residents who lease a parking space. I have made sure that top management and the development team at AppFolio are aware of this flaw in the functionality of this feature, so I'm hopeful there will be a resolution.

Response from AppFolio

Replied May 2019

Thanks, Laura! It's great to hear that you are using so many aspects of your software and thank you for your feedback regarding our utility billing feature. We are constantly making updates based on customer feedback and appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

Paris from The Paris Group NW

Small PM Company 20 Month Review

Pros

*Convenient user access on computer & phone. *User friendly & comprehensive for property management operations *Good visuals, nice looking documents & communication to customers. *Love how you launch improvements ongoing & post "What's New" *Sending work order links to vendors, how they can see all their w/o to stay better organized *Paying vendors via direct deposit. *Sharing documents to tenant & owner portals. No more mailing. *Helps organize functions

Cons

*Expensive. *Very complicated to manage the accounting portion. There are many hidden, connected functions, that fixing one, often doesn't fix all or messes something else up. *Move-outs are exceptionally difficult if you have to meet a short time line & have to break the tenant refunds into 2 payments. In WA state, water/sewer companies don't put account in tenant names or read meters in between, so we have to wait up to 60 days to get final bill. We want to hold out deposit funds for that & then refund the tenant any overcharged amount. *Customer service is friendly & knowledgeable, but have to wait for returned contact & about 25% of the time offers solutions doesn't fix all aspects or messes up something else. Big Issue: A HUGE number of brokerages are hiring outside Appfolio experts to help manage & solve their problems, instead of relying on Appfolio customer service. A HUGE number. There is something wrong with that.

Response from AppFolio

Replied June 2019

Hi Paris, thanks for the feedback. We know that the implementation of any new software can be an adjustment, so we've created our Help Center full of articles, community forums and other how-to training resources that will help you to master all of the capabilities within AppFolio Property Manager. We hope that as you continue to learn and grow with AppFolio that you will have a more positive experience moving forward!

Sherrie w/ Professional from Professional Realty Management, Inc.

My Opinion of the Pros and Cons of Appfolio

For the most part I am very happy with Appfolio. We still are not using it to it's fullest potential. It seems that I have always had people that I train that are resistant to change. So I have to slowly change things that seem little changes at the time so that they don't realize it and are more willing participants.

Pros

I do accounts payable, plus deal with Owners and basically put out little fires that arise. Since using Appfolio I have reduced my work load or should I say the time that is necessary to do my job. By being able to do ACH's and emailing and texting. End of month statements was reduced down to a few hours from 2 days. The world we live in now does a lot of texting and emailing and that is always nice to be able to do when you are slammed. More than 50% of my Owners are retired or semi retired and are older so I find that it is important to have that conversation with them over the phone for that personal relationship that they like. I am friends with a lot of my Owners even though I have never laid eyes on them. So we need to balance things for good PR.

Cons

I don't have many, and I am at a loss right now to specifically point any particular problem. It is those times when you run into a situation that you rarely do and have problem figuring it out. The instructions are not real clear. As example off the top of my head. I have a problem right now with my Diagnostic under the Non-Zero Security Clearing Account Balances. I think that I have done it correctly after following the instructions and then I find my diagnostic with a problem that I will need help from Appfolio with. Right now I haven't had the time to contact Appfolio to help me due to my own personal issues, medical, vacation etc.

Melissa from Rock Rentals

Appfolio Review

Pros

Appfolio gives us as a rental company the ability to easy sort, organize, and access information on our tenants, owners, and vendors. I love that Appfolio has helped us move to doing business online. It's so convenient for us to send out a lease and have it signed electronically and saves time for us and our tenants. They don't have to take off work to come to our office to do so. Online payments have similar benefits. Most of our tenants pay online and it's so nice that we don't have to record each of those payments; they're automatically applied to the tenant's account. Another feature that we use a lot is the credit and background checks. It's conveniently built into the application and helps us screen applicants efficiently. I like that Appfolio offers texting and emailing. It makes it easy to see what was communicated and it's all on the tenant's page and I don't have to pull up multiple windows for that. The newly-developed tenant insurance coverage feature allows me to track who has coverage and who doesn't, and to email them notifications if their insurance has expired. It also shows which policies expire in 30 days, which is great for reminding people before their policy expires so they have continuous coverage. I appreciate how AppFolio continues to improve their product and develop new features. They allow users to make suggestions and comment on suggestions as well.

Cons

I wish that the texting line could receive pictures. This would make the application process easier; people could take pictures of documents they didn't include in the application and send it to us. While most people can take pictures and send them by email, I think it would help especially our older tenants and others who don't have email on their phones or don't have a smartphone or just aren't as technologically literate. People would also be able to send us pictures of their insurance docs and maintenance issues. It would also be nice to be able to search for guest cards (interested parties) in the main search bar. Currently I need to search on the guest cards page and the person doesn't show up if it's been over a year from their last inquiry.

Response from AppFolio

Replied March 2019

Dear Melissa, thank you for your review. We have launched a new tenant application that allows tenants to submit their maintenance requests directly from their phone and upload photos from their camera roll. Thanks for your suggestion about texting photos, we'll be sure to pass this along to our product team!

Sarah from Chatel Real Estate

Chatel Real Estate

Overall I'm very pleased and excited every time something new rules out. I'm the operations manager for one of Chatel's locations and I'm constantly playing with the new features to see if they will be useful for my company. This software is super easy to use, it cuts down on labor-intensive data management and archiving information. Plus the fact that it allows a property manager to be mobile. There is nothing sweeter than being at a board meeting or a condo meeting and saying hey I can pull that information up on my phone. :)

Pros

I love that things are so well integrated. I have been with Chatel Real Estate for 7 years and we have been using Appfolio for the last 6 years. I appreciate all of the new features that you roll out and I'm super excited every time I see that little bubble at the top of my screen meaning something new has been added. Also, it's super nice that it's easy to use on the phone, I don't like the App. I only use it through my cell phones web browser but it works perfectly and I can get a ton of stuff done while visiting a building. I love that its a one stop shop for property management needs. I like being able to communicate with an entire building and record that information on unit owner pages. The key system is fantastic! We just started using it recently, and it has saved us so much time in addition to providing us with accurate records.

Cons

Prepayments on unit owner ledgers do not automatically apply to the next owners charge automatically. This makes the aged receivable detail look off which is annoying and clients complain about it. It's not a huge deal and its something we easily fix. I also wish the homeowner directory report had columns to add their tenant's information into it, instead of having to pull a renter directory and then an owner directory. Clients want just one spreadsheet not two! I wish you accepted AMEX for payments, I get a fair amount of compliants about it.

Response from AppFolio

Replied March 2019

HI Sarah, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and thanks for being our longtime partner! We have updated the app to have the same, full functionality that the browser has. We'd encourage you to download it from the app store so you can continue to easily pull up information on your phone in any meeting!

Jeff from Wangard Partners, Inc

Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Good product, improvements slow to take

While the community conversations for improvements to the software is great, it's tough to know that any software engineer is listening. It seems like it would be very easy for move-outs to automatically prorate rent (where is it legal to collect full rent for a mid-month move-out?!?!?!) IF I could just talk to an engineer. It seems like it would be very easy to ask for an actual button for prorated rent rather than something that is a link everywhere on the internet. These simple things should not get lost in the community.

Pros

This is a great product for property managers and tenants. The leases are easy to issue and easy to sign. The tenants have a great portal. Customer service is mostly great- sometimes I want a quicker response, but the reps are great. It is easy to find information and easy to adjust information.

Cons

It is too easy to adjust information in some places and there are confusing breaks in logic for inputs from one section to the next. For example, the recurring charges section of the move-in process is identical to the monthly charges section of the tenant page, except that there is no option to have an end date. Move-in charges from the move-in process do not show up on the itemized rent roll. When asked about why this is, the customer service agent said that people don't want security deposits on the itemized rent roll. The answer to this is, like any other charge in the system, to hide the security deposit charges columns on the itemized rent roll. There is no need to restrict the information on a report when a report is customizable. We offer one-time concessions and, in order to get them on the rent roll, we have to use the recurring charges section. This, of course, allows for human error in having one-time concessions go on for the entire term of the lease.

Response from Torri

Replied February 2019

Dear Jeff, thank you for taking the time to post this review. We appreciate the feedback and we have made sure that it has reached our product development team. You do have the ability to prorate the last month's rent for residents and we'll follow up with instructions for this task. We read through every piece of feedback posted to our product boards and we take the feedback seriously. Thanks for being our partner.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,589 reviews