All AppFolio Property Manager Reviews

MariAnne

Real Estate, 2 - 10 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed May 2021

Hands down the best software

Benjamin

Reviewed November 2020

Well-Rounded & Reliable

Appfolio has world class customer service with extremely quick response time. Implementing the software was as easy as it could have been. It still takes time and effort, but it is certainly worth it to be on such a streamlined software.

PROS

I love the ability to track collections, maintenance orders, and Tenant info/documents from my smartphone. This software gives me the option to have any staff work remote as needed and still do our jobs at 100% capacity.

CONS

Appfolio does a nice job at continuing to develop better features. One area that needs improvements is the ability to do inspections. It takes forever for photos to upload while at the property and uses a ton of data. Would be nice to be able to have the inspections saved locally to the phone and then upload all at once while on WiFi. This would speed up inspections drastically. Improving inspection templates is also needed.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Appfolio had a sleek look and better support being offered.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

We used a bunch of Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. Data was easily messed up, and it offered no mobile features. It wasn’t specifically designed for real estate.

Hi Benjamin, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback!

Replied April 2021

Tammy

Reviewed November 2023

Property Management with AppFolio

Overall, I love AppFolio. The system is clear, clean, and easy to follow and learn. A lot of the fields are self-explanatory and the help button is just a click away and the team with AppFolio does a good job with I ask for help. The explanations are clear, concise, easy to follow, and make sense. In the past 15 years, I have used many different software systems to track property management. AppFolio has been the easiest to navigate to get me the information I need and easy to use to manage all my properties.

PROS

AppFolio allows me to access my tenants and their information with a click of a button. It keeps all data about my tenant at my fingertips and also allows them to know what is going on with their lease, rent amounts, work orders, and other tasks they or I need to complete to keep our relationship working the best.

CONS

I wish that the tenant's application would stay with the tenant as the entire process progresses. When a person no longer is an applicant, but becomes a tenant and moves in, that application is stored elsewhere in the system. It would be more helpful to have the application stay with that new move-in. The application is always needed for legal issues. The system makes it easy to find but it seems it would be better served to stay within the entire process of the new move-in.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio offered more of what my owner of the management company was looking for in terms of moving forward in the field of property management. It is more friendly to use with owner and tenant alike and offered us more information to provide to our owners that rely on us to manage their rental units.

Justin

Reviewed February 2017

Review from Justin Ratzlaff of Henderson Management

We have been using Appfolio for a few years now. There are many things that I appreciate about the product, but there are also many things that I don't appreciate. Overall, I am getting the feeling that Appfolio is getting too many customers as their popularity has grown. It seems that the customer service has taken a major hit. It also seems that it's a bit too exclusive as integration with other programs is difficult and in most cases impossible. I used to manage the Leasing Department and during that time I tried to convince the team to start utilizing online lease signing. There was a problem though with customizing addenda to the lease and there were a few forms that we could not enter into the digital lease. Without the ability to have all forms in the lease, it defeated the entire purpose of going digital. My issue is that we got everyone on the team to add a suggestion to the forums and we have never heard a response. I get emails randomly saying that someone else has added a comment, but that's far as it goes. Recently the comments have been on the thread of Appfolio not listening to feedback from customers. All I can say is, I agree. Maybe this review will be seen. I now manage the maintenance department and I am disappointed with the functionality of the maintenance capabilities. I understand that this is not a maintenance management software, but many management companies perform their own maintenance and require intelligent software for this purpose. Techs need to be scheduled, tracked, reviewed on performance, and much more. Again, I understand that this is not the main purpose of Appfolio. However, why would you not open yourself up to easy integration with a field service management software? We had to create a couple extra positions in the company to manage the transfer of information from Appfolio to our field service management software as integration does not seem to be important to Appfolio.

PROS

See above

CONS

See above

Dear Justin, thank you for providing us with this constructive feedback. Your team's suggestions for leasing are a top priority for us and is something we plan to work on. We are currently working very hard on the maintenance feature - we welcome your feedback and hope these updates will solve the challenges you have been facing! A Product Specialist will be contacting you to go more in depth with your maintenance needs. As for your comments regarding customer service, we are sorry your experience has been negative! We truly value each of our customers and hope to continually create an excellent product and provide top notch service! Your Customer Success Manager will be contacting you to address your complaints and amend the situation. We hope to provide you with a more positive experience moving forward and to work with you and your team for many years to come!

Replied February 2017

Leif

Reviewed January 2024

Need to take a course to use the program

In general, a manual would be helpful, or a FAQ sheet. Wonderful customer support and help with any errors and questions, but it still took a long time to get used to all the information. In the end, the [sensitive content hidden]sold the property.

PROS

The financial part was amazing if you put the numbers in the right area.

CONS

I needed extra training to get everything up and running. There were two of us trying to learn how to work the program. We lost time in managing our other 93 doors trying to learn this system for managing 250 doors of private student housing for The University of Arizona.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The new [sensitive content hidden] liked using AppFolio from the previous rental companies he had owned

Drew

Real Estate, 51-200 employees

Reviewed December 2019

Amazing Property Manager for Small-to-Medium Companies

The biggest issue my company had was advertising vacancies. We were relying on walk-in tenants, which has not been a good source for 5-10 years. AppFolio is one-click to post to multiple free websites and syncs with Apartments.com if your company goes that route. Ease of use and great training/help files will keep us with them for years to come.

PROS

First and foremost, the value of the product. You get everything you need for cheaper than most of the other products out there. For my company, we transitioned from Buildium to AppFolio and instantly reaped the rewards. AppFolio provided us with an inexpensive company website, a quick and easy tool to post our vacancies to multiple websites, and great assistance during set-up.

CONS

I know some of the more expensive options offer more competitive pricing tools and a little more automation. Also, AppFolio had a few issues (like maintenance personnel not being able to see pictures on work orders using their mobile devices) that took AppFolio a while to start addressing.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Cost vs. benefits. We are a medium size company (750 multifamily/single-family units) and did not need as many bells and whistles.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Cost was a factor, but mostly not having good advertising with Buildium.

Dear Drew, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We're happy that your transition to AppFolio was a good one and that you are already reaping the benefit!

Yan

Reviewed July 2019

Great product and really terrible support

It is a tough call because the product is good. We migrated from Yardi and don't regret it BUT if I knew how weak the support team and the nightmare that we would have (for 7 months we couldn't reconcile bank accounts and the "boarding team" simply vanished) I would most likely have stayed with Yardi.

PROS

The software is definetly the right product. It is intuitive and very easy to use. Having used Yardi for 10+ years this product is simply outstanding. It is definitely not even close to what you can do in Yardi, but for 90% of what most of us do, it is allot easier and quicker then Yardi.

CONS

The company is suffering from a very bad support team. When they sell you the product it almost seems that these guys mastered the art of eSupport and you can solve problems with a click. This couldn't further from the truth. For most of the "how to" problems they are quick to respond and usually send you a quick article on how to. The problem becomes when you have a real problem, like late fees simply not posting the correct amounts at the wrong dates, or bank account balances don't add up...in general bigger problems call for a "we will put our head in the sand and hope it goes away" mentality.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

In Yardi every task takes allot of time. Try setting up or changing CAM or dealing with their RentCafe platform is like a root canal. We needed something that didn't require allot of time and staff keep things running

Tucker

Reviewed June 2023

Nickel and Dime

PROS

See Cons.... the cons outway the pros at this point with such a large increase in price.

CONS

Changing the free eCheck to a cost for the tenant or the property management company is truly ridiculous. First, all of our leases say the echeck is free, so you have sort of backed us into a corner with us paying for the service. Also, with POA's also included in this unit count, I will have to pay $500 a month, for a service that is only used ONCE a year. That is $6,000 a year, so 500 units can pay ONCE on online. This is just crazy!! This is going to reduce the compliance for online payments and bring more checks, money orders, and cash in the office if we don't provide the service. Truly ridiculous. This is going to be about a 45% increase in my cost to use AF.. with a 30 days notice. truly bad business. looking for new software.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Liked the options of AF, but looking for something else now.. This cost increase is crazy.

K David

Reviewed July 2021

Long Time User Still Enamorede

We have been using for over eight years with no plans to change. The software continues to improve, often from user comments and experiences.

PROS

AppFolio's user interface is the best in the business. They're short development cycle offers continued platform improvements. The software does every we need as a small owner/operator.

CONS

The lack of an open API. Support not as responsive as it was.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Best in class, elegant user interface, responsive design, early to market (we made decision eight years ago).

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Better user interface and price point.

Angie

Management Consulting, 11-50 employees

Reviewed October 2019

Appfolio for Property Management

I have worked with Appfolio since 2012. I would recommend it for its ease of use. If you are a small company and do not have daily IT support to train your employees this is a great program for you. The tutorials are very easy to use for training.

PROS

Very user friendly with tutorials handy at the click of your mouse. I really like the fact that the marketing and advertising of vacant units is tied to the software. It makes it really streamlined when posting ads and managing pictures and changes to the market rents.

CONS

I do not like that you cannot customize the user individually. I came from Yardi and you could pick specific tasks that the employee could access. It is too generic when it comes to the user roles. Example: A leasing agent can post money but not close the deposit? Employees have too much access to information that should be confidential.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Price was competitive. The main feature that impressed me was the able to streamline many features in one program such as processing background and rental apps, advertising, etc.

Katy

Non-Profit Organization Management, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2023

AppFolio Review

I am happy for the switch, there are some things I wish could change, however overall I am happy.

PROS

It is very user friendly. It has great features and easy reporting.

CONS

The compliance feature is non usable as it is extremely out of date.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

VMS was not a good software and not user friendly.

Lyman

Reviewed September 2019

Appfolio & Me

I love it! I found the Appfolio program did save me time with all parts of property management duties I have.

PROS

Once I learned the program, Appfolio made the job easier. The owner statements were easy for my owners to understand. Love the ability to upload copy of invoices to owner statements, so they could see my deductions if there were any on the given month. This saved me time from answering calls from owners that had questions about the owner statement. The online features made it easy for Owners & Tenants to see everything related to their property.

CONS

Being a very small company it was a little more expensive than other programs out there. The learning curve was a bit tuff, but Help was always there to assist me if needed.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

In speaking with other Property Managers, most recommended Appfolio.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

My broker made the change to another software program, since the business started growing and the old program could not keep up.

Denise

Real Estate, 51-200 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Always evolving

We have been with Appfolio for 9 years - and during that time there has been significant improvements in the system. Our company is a heavy user and utilize as much of the functionality of the system that we can - and as such we are frequently asked to provide feedback to the development team when they are considering options. We are committed to our relationship with Appfolio, however, due to API restrictions, if we have much more growth we may need to consider alternative solutions.

PROS

The software is intuitive, user friendly and a stable platform. They a continually developing additional functionality and release updates regularly. The customer forum is great - you can collaborate with other users, seek our solutions and make recommendations that development will consider for future releases.

CONS

It does not have an open API and they are unwilling to consider this for clients. While they are routinely pushing out enhancements and are developing additional functionality, and they say the functionality is based on client feedback - it seems like development resources are not focused on this things that clients really 'need'.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Yardi was more robust than we needed at the time - and their licensing model made the cost outside of our range.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The old system was not stable - we had issues with lockups and in accurate reporting. There was limited updates provided and we did not anticipate improvements.

Thanks for partnering with us over the last 9 years. Denise! We look forward to partnering for the years to come!

Chelsey

Reviewed June 2020

Easy to use, no major flaws

The experience has been amazing. Customer service is quick, and we were able to decrease the amount of physical checks in our business office by 50% in the first two years.

PROS

I love the ease of use of this software. It gives me so many options for reporting, investigating any issues, and my tenants love that they can pay online and request maintenance online as well. I love the look of it, it is modern without being gaudy.

CONS

I only wish that changing ownership for 1099 reporting was easier (IE partners that get monthly distributions but want the 1099 reported to the partnership name)

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We tested several products most of which I forget the names of now, eventually landing on Appfolio because it gave us the widest range of options while only having a few things missing from what we wanted.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The product we were using was server based, and our server was outdated and slowly dying with frequent crashes. We wanted something cloud/online based so we could get away from utilizing an on site server, thus cutting out the cost for server maintenance and backup.

Reviewed September 2020

Great Initially but Caters to Larger Companies Now

My overall experience has been generally positive however I wish they would offer the same features and services to all of their clients regardless of their portfolio size. If you already have the technology available and a cost structure in place to offer these services, I don't see how portfolio size matters. Overall, it's a good product but they're starting to nickel and dime customers for services previously included in the monthly subscription prices. They're also releasing a lot of cool new tools such as the artificial intelligence assistance however you should verify that you're going to be able to access all of the tools you want to before signing up as you might discover that you don't meet their minimum portfolio size to take advantage of such features.

PROS

I love how easy it is to use and that it's got everything integrated from inspections to maintenance to accounting to contract management. It also posts my listings to a bunch of websites automatically.

CONS

It was initially a perfect fit for our company. We wanted our website and property management software integrated and we loved the features such as the tenant portal etc. In the past couple of years, it seems that they are gearing themselves more toward large companies (1000+ units) as they are only making certain features available to their larger clients (i.e. Lisa AI / artificial intelligence secretary) despite having the technology already to accommodate all clients regardless of company size. Additionally, we paid a lofty website setup fee when we originally enrolled in the software in 2014. They charge anywhere from $1000-5000 to redesign the website and as of March 2021, they are forcing everyone to migrate their website over to a new design and imposing a monthly fee to host the website in addition the the regular monthly fee.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Because it was a better value for the money and seemed more user-friendly.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

We wanted something more integrated and that allowed more than one user at a time.

Allison

Reviewed February 2021

Promising Software / Horrible customer service

I could have had a great customer experience with appfolio, if they had better trained staff to answer your questions in a timely manner

PROS

I like the customization of this software. It is ideal if you manage a variety of portfolios. The dashboard and tasks menu are placed well and easy to navigate. The software uses a tab feature that allows to easily work with different tasks at a time. Excellent reporting features. Great mobile app

CONS

HORRIBLE customer service. The software is extremely robust, which will normally be a good thing. However, with that comes a lot of questions. Unfortunately only 1 out of 5 agents can help you. Most issues will have to be advanced to a senior agent . Once that happens you will have to EMAIL what your issue is or wait anywhere from 3-7 days for a scheduled phone call. So if your issue is time sensitive you are simply out of luck. I am seasoned property management professional, and I have worked with many softwares. Appfolio, by far is one of the most difficult I have worked with. There is countless steps to complete everything. Of course that allows for a lot of customization, but understand it takes a long time to learn it. Additionally there are promised features that don't work well. For example text messaging. You can text within the software, but there is no push notification. So if you are not inside the software or checking you email constantly, you won't know someone sent a text. So Pointless!!!. That is just one of many. There is reason there is no free trial and they bound you to a one year contract.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

selling agent presented the product well. seemed like a good fit

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The software seemed to present more with a diverse portfolio

Hi Allison, thank you for reaching out to us with your feedback. We do have a guaranteed response rate of 24-48 hours but many issues to require us to follow-up with more information is it is a more complicated accounting question. We do have a robust Help & Training center if you need assistance with accounting. We hope we can improve your experience moving forward!

Replied April 2021

Real Estate, 1 employee

Reviewed December 2019

Appfolio makes our business run smoothly!

Appfolio adds so much value to the services we provide to our HOA clients. We wouldn't want to do business without it.

PROS

Appfolio is so easy to use, both for us as managers and for homeowners using the portal. Appfolio has spent a great deal of time figuring out which features are the most beneficial and perfecting those features.

CONS

There are a few very minor technical things but I am sure they will get fixed as Appfolio is constantly making improvements.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Ease of use and customer support.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

I started onboarding with Buildium when we first started our company but they were making the onboarding process too difficult so we switched.

Thanks, Sarah! We're so glad you are finding AppFolio easy to use with your HOA portfolio and look forward to continuing to partner with you!

Marna