Buildium Reviews

4.49 / 5 (1,450) FrontRunners

Our advisors have recommended this product 185 times in the last 30 days

• Pros

• "It’s easy to use and I love that it has the help center that walks you through how to do things without having to call in."

• "Easy to use, great customer service, and they are consistently making thing better!"

• "The program is very easy to use and is continually improving."

• Cons

• "A little confusing at first but once you get use to the software it is easy to work with. "

• "Like any program, there are a few quirks but Buildium does active updates to correct issues. "

• "I didn't like the email feature., and the way some features are used with others. But that is everything that I've had a problem with, otherwise it is very nice to use. "

Browse Buildium Reviews

Nicholas from Nicastro Properties

Buildium reduced my workload by approximately a factor of 5!

Overall, my experience has been fantastic. I took my time onboarding over a period of about 3 months, then I ran the software concurrent to QuickBooks for 2 months, cutting Quickbooks off on Jan 1 and using Buildium exclusively.

Pros

Residents having 24/7 access to their account to make payments and submit requests is a huge time saver. Requests go to the right place automatically and payments are deposited into the proper account. Accounting is a breeze since it is all done online - reconciliations take no time at all!

Cons

I wish it were easier to add residents to leases that have already been signed and to assign leases mid-lease.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

It was a much better solution with both rental management and accounting and the interface and price were the best comparatively.

William from Anderegg Property Rentals LLC

Overall a Quality Property Management Software Platform

Overall Buildium is a really good platform to use especially if you want things to be automatically done or updated. I like that customize dashboard that lets you know when leases are expiring and need to be renewed. They also allow you to auto list properties for rent. This is extremely helpful for us. One down side of this platform is the inability to send debts to collection like other platforms have. Overall, I would recommend Buildium as long as they were made aware of the extra charges and services they continue to try and promote to tenants.

Pros

The thing I like the post is that it automatically applies late fees to accounts. It also auto notifies tenants once they make a payment on their account. I like that you can email every tenant using one email instead of trying to email them individually. The site is very user friendly with a customizable dashboard to help you get a quick snap shot of your rentals.

Cons

I don't like some of the auto emails that get sent to tenants to help sell some of the products Buildium is promoting. For instance, they want all tenants to have insurance and will continually email them to get them to purchase insurance that Buildium gets a cut of. They also are encouraging tenants to set up ACH payments, which if you don't have the top account level, charges the owner to use the service. I feel like Buildium continues to try and do add ons from both the tenants and the owners which is frustrating considering the amount of money we pay for the software.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

They provided on boarding and were initially cheaper than AppFolio.

January 2013

Tom from Caxon Real Estate

January 2013

We've been using Buildium for about 2 years, long enough to get a good feel for its strengths and weaknesses. My overall impression is that this is a good product for small to medium size residential property management firms (10-100 units). If you have fewer than 10, this product is overkill. If more than 100, you'll probably find it too simplistic. The product is geared to residential properties and residential associations. Managing commercial portfolios with it can be difficult. The Good: Accounting functionality is pretty strong. GL, AR, AP, budgets and property ledgers are handled seamlessly. Very easy to use even for beginners. I like the global search functionality. You can pretty much find anything using it without navigating through the menus. Pricing is relatively inexpensive. It's cloud-based, so you don't have to maintain any software on your own computers. You can access it anywhere with a web browser. Some people see this as a negative, but we've not had any issues with Buildium being down unexpectedly. The scheduled maintenance times are generally late at night. Support is good if you're having problems with the standard functionality. In general I would say the support staff understands their product well. And you can get them on the phone to explain things. That's becoming less common with companies today. Document management is hit & miss. I love that I can post a PDF receipt for every expense right there in the ledger. However, documents at the property- or owner level are less helpful. It's just one big bucket per property or owner. Having a folder structure would be a big help. (Not there today.) Buildium offers tenant bill-pay through an online portal for rent payments, and also outbound electronic payments to property owners. It's done through a 3rd party vendor and at additional cost. This is a double-edged sword. Very convenient; it makes the bookkeeping entries for you automatically. But if you're doing outbound payments, make sure to treat it just like an online banking account (long passwords, be careful of who in your office has access to it, etc.) Allowing for extra security questions or letting users limit the IP addresses that have this outbound payment functionality would be helpful. The Bad: As noted, you'll get frustrated if you're trying to use this for commercial properties. The designers make assumptions that you're doing residential. CRM functionality is practically non-existent. This is an accounting package. They do have some decent (and customizable) postal-mail templates and can do mail-merge so you can send notices to tenants and owners. But this does not extend to email. You'll need another product to do CRM and do double data entry between systems. There is no integration layer or API, so no chance of integrating this with your CRM system or generating custom reports. The reports, while nice-looking, are as-is and not customizable in any way. You're stuck with what they give you. They make some odd design decisions sometimes. For example, you can't generate an association owner invoice for an owner who lives someplace other than the managed property. The invoice is always addressed to the managed property, even if you entered a different mailing address for the owner, as if an association owner would never rent out the property. These types of oddities abound, and the product support folks will never acknowledge it as a problem. They'll tell you to fill out an enhancement request, which may be considered for implementation someday, or may not. You'll never know. Providing a way to customize reports or providing an API would help in this area. In Summary: Buildium is good at what it does, but what it does is pretty limited. You will likely be happy if you're in their demographic sweet spot (10-100 residential units). It's cheap enough to sign up and try it out to see if it's right for you. If you manage commercial properties, have a very large or complex portfolio, or need integrated CRM capabilities, it's probably not for you.

Dustin from Wayland station hoa

Will never use another program

Buildium had always been the go to for me. It's user friendly for staff and extremely user friendly for my residents and older residents that aren't as technologically inclined. Anyone can use it. And when my older residents are confused they can call the hotline and get customer services from the team rather than calling is office during off hpurs.

Pros

The ease of importing all of our data and getting everything set up specifically for our hoa property. Everything we needed and none of the rental stuff we didn't. The team assisting us in seeing up the system has been incredible.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike. I would love to have the ability to shower multiple chargers on statements for dues and assessment and have those both track. But the team has shown me a way we can do that until the update team has created that ability.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

I have used buildium for years. I knew they could customize a plan and payment specifically for our property rather than Trying to use a rental program for an hoa.

Kimberly from DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT GROUP

Definitely Worth a Try

Overall, I think Buildium is a good company and I think they are struggling with the fast growth process, as many companies do. The cost of their program is less than Appfolio and the folks that work for them are better at helping out with issues. I found Appfolio's phone support to be mostly snarky know-it-alls and patronizing 20-somethings with an attitude who seemed to be bothered by my questions . Buildium support has never come across that way.

Pros

The set up process and assistance in doing it was quite seamless. The ongoing support is there if you need it and the tutorials, although not great or always up to date, do help you figure things out without having to call in.

Cons

The close-out of a tenant can be awkward and not intuitive. The return of security deposits with interest and charging of fees is clunky. Also, when a lease runs out, the system doesn't roll them over to month-to-month. It simply just closes out the lease on line and makes it look like the tenant doesn't live there anymore or owe any rent. This is both frustrating and stressful because if a tenant owes money and decides not to declare that, they could potentially get away without paying rent. There needs to be a change in the rollover of the leases in the system so we don't miss collecting rent.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

We needed to switch quickly and Buildium responded faster.

NELSON from BRYANT COMPANIES

Buildium

Overall it is very satisfactory and you get value out of it.

Pros

Ease of conversion and use. It has all the features of running a property management company from leasing application till account closing.

Cons

Can't print multi checks for multi properties. There is no option to set up property insurance, only vendors and tenants.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

Value for money and excellent customer service

Emmett from Sandstone Property Management

Great Software!!!

We are able to get much better organized, be on top of things.

Pros

It is a pure property management software. It has one thing in mind...managing real estate.

Cons

The financial angle is not great. If you know the work arounds, it is OK. It also does not have a sales tax component like HST or GST in Canada.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

Ease of use, did not have to pay for training and set-up

Eric from Bavarian Realty Group

Buildium Customer DIS ServiceMany

Tedious job inputting tenants. Accounts & data. Good for large organizations with 100s to 1000s of doors. Need one FT employee to train and monitor. I've switched after such difficulty getting thg through to customer service and long waits.

Pros

Many good features. Accepts Credit Cards. Preventative Maintenance lists. Credit and Criminal check & probability analyzer.

Cons

Terrible phone access & customer service team. Very Tough to learn software. Less $$ costly programs available with better training and customer service that answered In a timely manner

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

Good salesman with line of BS and training. I liked Credit Card capability. Criminal and credit checker with analyzer for good choice. Online application process.

Rebecca from Prizm Painting LLC & Prizm Properties & Atlantic Agsten

Very easy to use software

It has been great! Very easy to use the program!

Pros

I like the reports feature, emails to tenants about their balance with a click of a button, easy to do a bank reconciliation. Multiple rental companies can be accessed with ONE log in!

Cons

I like a lot of notes. Sometimes I wish the description could contain more characters.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

Starting fresh with new numbers so bank balance would match system.

Kortney from Tetiri, LLC

High Hopes and Mislead

The customer service was just terrible. They don't tell you that you have to apply for online payments. When we were denied everyone stopped reaching out to us, wouldn't answer our questions about why. We called customer support multiple times, by multiple employees to try and find out what or who the problem was on the application. It was extremely disappointing. Also online payments should be ensured for a property management software. AT THE LEAST they should be very up front about it and have you apply before spending three weeks transferring all your information into the platform, customizing applications, settings, fees, setting up staff logins, etc. Then drop you and not respond or answer any of your questions? horrid service. The whole ePay thing is a mess. The onboarding process was also 5 times longer than it needed to be. We had all the templates for information transfer done in a matter of days, but had to wait two weeks to have a phone call where we watched our onboarding rep input the templates for 20 minutes... They just need a lot of help refining their onboarding process, removing redundancies, and expressing the process. We were so excited for the switch to buildium, but are so disappointed with how things turned out that we will never go back to them.

Pros

Had all the features we wanted in a new property management software and the support software was very easy to use. As I dive in I keep finding more wonderful features that are very useful and simple to understand/navigate.

Cons

The customer service was just terrible, and is ultimately what lost our business. Online tenant payment are run through a third party software that needs to be applied for for each bank account (which they run employees credit check for as well as the business and the business owners credit... who bases a businesses future on an employees credit?).

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

Ease of use, comparability with appfolio in their many features, located in the US. We ultimately went back to appfolio though.

Neil from Rental Properties

Best accounting program for rental property income and expenditure

With Buildium, all my income and expenditure information, receipts and invoices plus lease agreements etc are all stored in the one place. At tax time, printing out reports for my tax agent is simple and quick.

Pros

Easy to use and can cope with multiple properties. Reports can be generated for variations in financial year reporting of different counties. You can set up recurring bills so they appear on your list of things to do which reminds you and you don't have to re-enter all the data each time you have a bill to pay.

Cons

This is an American based program and for American users, it offers the ability to pay bills direct from your bank account etc. For me in Australia, this facility is unavailable.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

I thought I would take up an offer of a 30 trial of MYOB, but I found it was not suitable for rental property accounting. I can’t imagine that any other program would better suit my needs than Buildium.

Katie from Coldwell Banker REA

Property Management Software - works very well for non accounting backgrounds

Automation is HUGE! online payment is HUGE! It's connecting my tenant/client requests with my staff and subsequently my vendors - less mess to sort through!

Pros

I don't have to have a degree in accounting, between features, FAQ's and support, I've always been able to resolve issues. Love that it streamlines my processes into one central place and that I have a good overall place for myself, my assistant, my clients and tenants to look at things. Love online payments and ability to pay out to owners and vendors online as well! Software has fantastic capability to shift easily with the changing needs of business (growth or even if we were to pull back a bit - affordable and seamless transition!)

Cons

The vendor/owner portals are difficult and messy. Also, my vendors can see ALL work orders, not just their own for a property they have access to. They have to go under maintenance just to find work orders (not intuitive). Would be awesome if they could just reply to the emails the system sends and have those replies/files be uploaded as communication on the work order. Loading pictures is ok but difficult to reorder. Also, would like to be able to load pictures in an area that show things like appliances/etc but not necessarily show on the listing If I enable "files" to be seen, then people can see ALL things under files - not just those pertinent to the properties they are enabled for. If I send an email to all owners or all tenants, it does not save under their individual communication logs - I have to go into a specific lease/tenant/owner/etc then go to communications to start an email otherwise it's not in the log. Would like to have multiple work orders under tasks - sometimes I need a General, a plumber and an electrician to complete the same task, for example. In the banking area, I'd like the property balances to reflect how much is deposit/property reserves so that I can see I'm where I need to be at a glance. I'd also like to be able to make more than one reserve account per property (i.e. taxes, maintenance) I'd like ONE application email - not one plus the credit check (maybe the app has a link to the chk

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

It was a one stop shop and it focused on my industry without having to do a lot of modification. The support system is good with people that understand accounting and real estate

Erin from Virtual BookieZ

Jump on the property management software train with Buildium!!

The benefits of utilizing Buildium for home construction companies are too many to list here. From management being able to see the project all at once and not have to look in different sections. Subcontractors being able to log their hours per project tasks for easy invoicing. Owners with the ability to go on and see how the construction is going, choosing selections, and keeping in contact with management. For bookkeepers the easy integration of Xero and Quickbooks online is fantastic. If you haven't tried Buildium and are looking for a superb property management software, sign up for their free trial and take it for a test drive.

Pros

There are several items within Buildium that by far surpassed other property management companies. The ability to upload subcontractor paperwork and have all the information in one place securely online with reminders set up when expirations or missing information is needed. The ability for everyone with accounts set up to communicate, check on tasks, and proposals all in one place for easy referral. One of the easiest implementations and setups for property management software. But the absolute best thing about Buildium for me anyways is that you can list as much information from sales, tasks, proposals, selections, etc. I truly believe that all companies need to keep as much information as possible on file and with Buildium you can put as much information as you need, place tags for easy reporting, and this information is for authorized users to see. To me, you can never have too much information and it makes is so much easier if you have a person leave and the new hire to move it and look at the information to be brought up to date.

Cons

When I first started working with Buildium I wished that there had been a step by step workflow check sheet because at times I had to go and research if I was entering the data correctly. But that was quickly solved while speaking with Buidium's excellent customer support team members. Finally, I would recommend a Buildium forum where all users can go on and if they have questions can post it to the forum as another user may have had the same problem.

Nancy from iHeart Property Management LLC

Gets the Job Done; Would like more Features

Software functions well and is reliable, Customers and Clients tell us they DO NOT like the portal and don't understand reports. I have volunteered to be in a user group to develop reports but have not been contacted yet.

Pros

The software is easy to use and fairly flexible; we do use it in some ways that are not intended to address unique situations. I also like that there is a forum for user requested features where the community can "vote" on improvements.

Cons

Development of new features that are highly requested by the community could be responded to faster. There are also some requests that seem more like fixing a bug than a new feature that are ignored completely. These are things that affect our staff on a daily basis, e.g. emails that are automatically sent to customers and clients that have a link to the message thread in the portal where they can respond directly in thread (which is a good thing)- - EXCEPT the link is so cryptic that the average user does not realize it is a link, so they end up emailing us and we spend countless hours copying and pasting just to try to keep our documentation complete. If the developers would make the link more apparent and/or make email replies automatically update the message thread it would be really great.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

appfolio did not have tenant and owner portals at the time. I understand they do now, and am thinking of evaluating products again for a possible switch next year.

Jenna from Energy Realty

Great for a startup or simple management company

Again this is really simple and great for the amount of money but Id love to see more improvements more often. I enjoy using the program and do find it be most of what I need.

Pros

Love how simple this is to use! I personally didnt have a big bookkeeping/accounting background so setting up, implementing and using this was much easier than other software that is for more of an advanced user. Tenant messaging is great! Love the use of resident website.

Cons

Wish I could do more with the tenant emails, notices. I have to use a third party to get really cool looking emails/notices. You cant even really put in a image which would be helpful. Reports are customizable enough. As we are all different I would love to have more options for the reports not just on what info they show, or filter out but the actual width of columns, etc. I dont like to export to spreadsheet then edit. More ability to communicate with all parties on a work order, right now you can only update by checking tenant or owner. Would love to be able to send messages to vendors separate from tenants/owners. Also hate having to make a task then work order, it should really be just a work order. Then you can create a task for other things.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

Price and simplicity. On boarding for both is a long process and they charge (which is crazy). Buildium was setup quickly, then we added the extra services. It was really easy to set up and is still very simple to use.

Response from Buildium

Replied August 2019

Hi Jenna, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review! We've noted your feedback on emails, reports, and work order communications, and will be passing them along to the appropriate product teams. Thanks again for the review! Best, The Buildium Team

Nicole from real estate

best software

I absolutely love buildium

Pros

easy to setup/use It cuts my job in half always adding more features online portal

Cons

I went from using quickbooks to buildium. The products are night and day. Buildium definetly offers way more. The only issue I have is with the accounting side. I wish it had the capability to track expenses by apartment so I could keep track of renovation costs. You can't customize the reports as much as I would like. QuickBooks had a great feature so you could track and reconcile your loan payments.

more user friendly

Response from Buildium

Replied August 2019

Hi Nicole, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We're so happy that Buildium has been able to help save you time. I'll pass your feedback on tracking expenses by apartment over to our product team. Thanks again! The Buildium Team

Diane from Aloha Island Homes

Buildium Builds Confidence in Our Owners and Tenants

I have come to rely on Buildium always being there when I need to enter information into the system or to generate a report or look up a transaction. I can't remember ever having a time when the system was down or not available. Not having to worry about this gives me peace of mind, and in a sometimes hectic environment, this is important. Buildium is dependable.

Pros

I use Buildium daily and rely on it to enter information that will be used to generate monthly and annual reports. The finished product is easy to read and looks very professional. Our owners know they are in good hands when they can easily see where there money is spent and feel confident that we are protecting their investment. For our tenants, they really like being able to pay their rent on line, saving them time and money. If I have an issue that needs to be resolved, I know I can count on Buildium's customer service department to answer my questions quickly and accurately.

Cons

I understand how this software works now because I have been using it for the past several years, however, there was a little bit of a learning curve. Because I know the limitations of Buildium and how to get around them, there is less and less that I don't like about the software.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

I chose Buildium because it was affordable and fairly easy to use. I liked the ease it offers my tenants to pay online and how simple it is to pay my owners.

Response from Buildium

Replied August 2019

Diane, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. We know what a tough job property management can be, and we're so happy that we can help bring you peace-of-mind! We appreciate you as a loyal customer! Best, The Buildium Team

Eyal from Brick and Mortar Real Estate

The Buildium Experiance

Overall, great software with dedicated team (to the most part).

Pros

Buildiun is a very easy to use software. New features are normally well received by my staff.

Cons

Missing some features. 3rd Party (FORTE) is not customer friendly.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

It was a small company with a simple product. The team at the time was very friendly and committed.

Response from Buildium

Replied August 2019

Hi Eyal, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are also excited to let you know that Buildium has created its own internal payments platform and is in the process of transitioning its customers over to that system. Best, The Buildium Team

Karen from Erickson Farms HOA

Best investment of our HOA

Bookkeeping and reports are easy to enter and pull. Reconciliations are flawless. When I figured out that we could save documents/invoices by entering all outgoing payments as bills first, it was GREAT! The approval process is really good for checks and balances in our management of the community. One of the issues that I believe will be solved in the next 10 years is that some of our most elderly residents (usually those in their 80's) don't like portals and believe that their information will not be secure. Younger residents don't seem to have the same issues (by younger I mean anyone under 80). In 2017, when we took over management from a management company, we had a treasurer who wanted to do accounting and tracking with spreadsheets and was literally afraid of online software. He was over 80. Because of the time it takes to manage a community as a volunteer, it is usual to have elder individuals involved in boards and committees. We have it down to a handful of those who refuse to go to their portals. Lastly, my request to have an online process for architectural control does not seem to have gotten to the front of the line. It would be so beneficial for us to have that to be able to streamline another process for self-management.

Pros

Buildium has been great for our resident managed HOA. We did a thorough vetting job in choosing our management software, and it has lived up to what we hoped for. The books are right there, and we can allow anyone to see all that is going on at any time. Board members and volunteers have different levels of access, and that has made it easy for reporting. Resident portals are great, and the communication is easy.

Cons

Size of documents/invoices you can is smaller than needed, so I often have to split documents into parts which is annoying. The email took doesn't allow cut and paste of a pdf into the body of text. I always have to send our newsletter as an attachment. Sometimes q & a does not answer my questions for simple things -- such as, I misspelled the name of a new owner, and it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to correct, because there was no answer provided in q & a. My biggest "complaint" would be that this is rental focused in some regard, and we have no tenants. We only have owners, and residents sometimes tell us they are confused by the things that say "tenants" or refer to rentals.

betsy from PBIC

With just a few tweaks.. this would be an amazing piece of software.

Good - pretty responsive to every annoying call I make and I tend to be somewhat tenacious. thanks!

Pros

Tenant tracking, tenant ledger, and reporting of tenant payments. The tenant log on ease and the on line payment process. So for managing tenants - awesome! The features for managing the vendors for repairs - awesome! Love the bulk charges feature.. well designed and functional!

Cons

Some of the interface features.. like when entering a charge.. I always have to scroll to save it... little annoyance.. but why? .. Tighten the window. Allow tabbing and the enter key to move through the screen. I don't want to touch my mouse! The big frustration is that I can't write a tenant security deposit refund check to multiple tenants - it is by law that all tenants be on the refund check - yes I have figured out workarounds - but it is silly. I now just physically write them on the finished check. It looks stupid - but I don't have time to do my workaround. Fix that! In addition, take a look at the " final report" for the tenant on their none of the important information is visible... (Call me - I can help you!) The really big thing that would be nice is already programmed with your bulk charges feature.. I want to be able to "Bulk distribute checks to a list of investors" What that means is -I have my list of investors and instead of putting charges on a ledger - put a check entry onto the bank ledger so I could print checks and send them. Using all of the features of the bulk charges - except.. bulk payment. ( We have investors for each building - we pay them dividends several times a year -- same percentage, same names ... but I have to manually enter them. YOU CAN DO IT... I would be so happy!!!!!!!

Paul from ERA Joyner Realty

Buildium features review

Buildium allows our rental department to stay organized and provides easy and efficient access to data information. I could not imagine doing my daily tasks without Buildium.

Pros

The general format of the total program is good and maybe better than other programs used in the past. I really like the latest update of the status button for work orders

Cons

I do not like that Buildium doesn't have a feature where multiple windows with in Buildium can be open at the same time. (if it exists, forgive me for not knowing how to use it) I do not like that Buildium doesn't have a back button feature, especially in the tasks and work order screens. I do not like that Buildium will allow a partial online payment to be received. It should not receive a tenant online payment unless the full balance is being paid. This is a problem when tenants owe for late fees or maybe a repair expense. I would like to have the auto email option to send a work order to a owner even if the vendor has no email. It only gives that choice if the vendor has an email set up in the system. Some of our vendors receive work orders by phone or text or in person but the owner still needs to know what work is being done. It might be a nice feature for Buildium to store invoices in the system once a work order is completed. Not just the picture attachment spot within tasks and work orders. it it were a data base maybe or at least folders to store scanned copies. The work orders feature to add in the vendor parts and labors costs and description still seems cumbersome especially when dollar amounts are entered and then the book keep tries to pay bills. It may be we need Builduim training in this area. it should be a really useful feature. Sometimes Buildium seems to add double charges under tenants ledger info. Every now and then a random double charge pops up.

Response from Buildium

Replied February 2019

Hi Paul, Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We've passed your feedback on directly to our product team. We are currently working on updates to maintenance and work orders, stay tuned! Best, The Buildium Team

Kari from PM Consultant

Buildium is Easy to Use- always

I train multiple users of Buildium to use it, help fix issues as they occur. Buildium makes it very easy to do and explain. I use it everyday doing the books in full for several accounts. I never cringe when investigating accounts for other peoples' errors because Buildium is so clear.

Pros

*Ease of use cannot be overstated *Screen aren't overly "busy" and the fonts are easily read, layout is obvious *Accuracy and flexibility to make all accounting coherent and easy to explain to brokers/owners *Reports generate quickly and while viewable on the screen can zero in on specific transactions, with interactive links *Ability to email individual reports or export in a variety of printing styles *Bank reconciliation and tie-out cash to properties and owners and company is simple *Communications have improved a lot in the past year - SMS tracking communication with tenants is much better. * banking window is AWESOME Being able to select by property and dates... Wonderful!!

Cons

*Reporting fails - prints two pages when unnecessary, waste of paper, most people want one pagers - inability to email all owners their statements to each owner all at once. Can email individual reports only. Can't select properties on the fly- have to create a printing Group first. *Email addresses in owner and tenant records still tried to jump outside of Buildium instead of taking you to a simplified email interface within for tracked communications. Sometimes it's a little clunky navigating back and forth to common areas like between lease and property *Inability to produce a Invoice to the owner for reimbursing the broker/property manager or other vendors as needed. Owner statement doesn't reflect bills for the property entered but not yet paid.

Gary from Market One Realty, LLC

My Perspective of Buildium's Property Management Software, as a Real Estate Broker/Property Manager

Buildium was great with helping me with all of my questions that I had regarding their email and text message features. I finally decided to take some time to take a closer look at the features they offered and when I did, I realized how much time I wasted by not using these features earlier. No more copying and pasting emails/photos and text messages to and from tenants and owners (not fun to do).

Pros

I've been a customer of Buildium since 2010. I really like the fact on how Buildium saves me many hours throughout my workweek and helps me cover my tracks at the same time. This is helpful especially during the busy part of my day. One of the many great features that I like in Buildium's is the seamless integration they implemented into their software using a top rated property inspection software. It stores the inspection report with all of the photos and notes in one place for reference at a later date. I use my tablet onsite and the software does the rest. Another plus about Buildium is when I need to open a new work order (either onsite or in the office) for maintenance or a repair issue, I open the work order tab and everything you need is in one convenient place to manage the task from start to finish. Also, on Buildium's home screen, I have a dedicated section where I can review and update the progress of all work orders. In addition, each property manager has access to only their managed properties (specific authorization can be customized too). At the end of the day, all of this information is easy to locate, view, share and export and I know where to go if I need it. There Is So Much More...!

Cons

There's really not much that I could say about what I like "least" about Buildium. I say this because, they constantly make improvements and implement new features on a regular basis. There really is very little opportunity to say, "... I wish there was a better way to do this task..." They also ask for feedback on occasion and I like that too. I found that if there's a popular request made to Buildium they act on it and they implement those new features. All of their users can request and track new requests through their forum. A very transparent company who is serious about making my day easier, Buildium!

Monique from The Savaris Group

The Cadillac of HOA/Condo/Property Management

I have searched far and wide and Buildium is the best available for HOA/property management. I use it for all my monthly paying accounts, and find that the professional statements which are easily generated make managing the finances uncomplicated. Overall, Buildium is super customer friendly and has always met my expectations in the five years that I have been with them.

Pros

This software is mandatory if you have monthly payments for properties. It accepts EFT/Debit/Credit Cards and has a very user friendly approach to keeping financial records on individual homeowners in perfect shape. They also allow easy access for homeowners to both their own account and payments, and to governing documents, minutes, etc at any time. Imputing the payments and checks etc is easy and personalizing the accounting categories to fit your business is a snap. It pulls up a roster of homeowners and when someone moves out, changing out the account name takes seconds instead of laborious work in other spreadsheets etc. The to-do tasks list is very helpful for sharing among a busy office. In a Buildium vs spreadsheet choice, I would pick Buildium every time for accuracy, professionalism and most importantly ease of use. I pull down a list and print up invoices from many time periods, and to email the late invoices, is simply a matter of 2 seconds to pull up the right file and hit the correct button.

Cons

The non-bending method of making payments - where they require the vendor to log in and invoice directly vs just allowing me to make quick payments to say the lawn guy or other vendors who wouldn't know a computer if it smacked them in the face. I do not use this portion of the software. I have also asked them repeatedly to sell a 'lite' version of the subscription. One where they charge less for seasonal payments. I have several HOAs that only pay once a year, and can't use Buildium because it is cost prohibitive to have an account open for 12 months that only has one payment per year. They need to have a Florida/AZ/Seasonal version at a lower rate that has limited payments.

Response from Buildium

Replied August 2018

Hi Monique, Thank you so much for your review! We're so thrilled we've been able to help meet a lot of your management needs over the past 5 years. We've made a note of your feedback regarding vendor payments and Buildium "Lite", and will pass it along to our product team! Best, The Buildium Team

Brett from Yellowhammer Realty LLC

small owner owned property management company

My overall experience has been great with one exception. SUPPORT. support has been exceptional when it comes to the usage of the software but when it comes to the syndication part it is subpar have had several cases open with no response or answer for days or even weeks. Right now I have a case open for more than 20 days that the person has yet to get back with me.

Pros

I like the fact you can attach documents to just about every transaction, property, lease, tenant, and so fourth. I wish you could attach multiple documents to each. I like the automatic banking and online payment option. It reduces the time I have to make entries manually. I like the syndication option and wish it would push to even more websites. I like the tenant portal and the ability for tenants to log maintenance requests. I like the communication function. It allows easy documentation of all of my communication between me and my tenant. Basically all the features that allow automation and give me the ability to minimize my time managing the properties.

Cons

I don't like the fact that if a payment is rejected the software doesn't automatically go back and apply the late fee base on the rules setup. I don't like that some transactions can only have one attachment. I don't like the fact that you can't setup recurring general ledger transactions. I don't like the fact that you can't text multiple numbers at once. I absolutely hate the format of the excel reports. It would be great if the reports could combine both properties and company as well.

Response from Buildium

Replied August 2018

Hi Brett, Thank you for your honest review! We're sorry you've haven't had a great experience regarding syndication. A team lead from our support team will be reaching out to you to discuss your experience with syndication further. Best, The Buildium Team

Pamela from Gulf Coast Rentals & Property

We have been using Buildium for just over two years now and I could not love it more!

I had been using a DOS based management program for nearly 20 years and had to go online due to the changes in technology. It was a very stressful time trying to find a program that could do what we needed and was affordable and that I could manage on my own. Buildium has been the answer. We LOVE the online payment option for our tenants and landlord. We LOVE all the reports and the way the accounting process is set up. Most of all, we LOVE the excellent customer support we recieve from the Buildium team. The whole experience has been outstanding.

Pros

The customer service is OUTSTANDING! There is no way to be able to solve all the problems of transitioning to a new program on your own; I tried that with another program, using the excellent documentation they had provided but was never able to overcome some of the posting problems I encountered. I ended up frustrated and stressed out from being unable to understand how the program wanted me to do things. However, when I ran into any problem with the Buildium program, all I have to do is submit a support ticket. I normally recieve an answer back within 24 hours. If it is a serious problem, I call customer service and I am ALWAYS able to reach a LIVE, FRIENDLY, American speaking Specialist that is able to see what my program is doing and walk me through the problem to the point that I can manage it and they always explain what is going on so I can understand it!! It is the absolute best program I have ever used, in any field, in my entire 40 year career in Property Management! And they are constantly updating the program and making it better! I don't think I have ever been happier with a buying decision in my life. I highly recommend this program and company to anyone who is going to be managing real estate.

Cons

The ONLY thing I can think of that I don't like about this program is that one of the report sorts I use is done by the owner first name, instead of last name and the security depsoit breakdown report is done by Owner name, instead of the Tenant Name. Other than that, I can not think of a single thing to complain about. It is a great company!

Response from Buildium

Replied February 2018

Hi Pamela, Thank you for leaving your review. Your opinion is invaluable to us and we're so pleased to hear about your positive experience with Buildium! Best, Elizabeth Gill Senior Customer Marketing Manager

June 2014

Sheila from Mark Troughton Property Management

June 2014

Like Buildium so much!

Pros

We're a somewhat small Property Management company in California with about 140 units, and I like a lot of things about Buildium. The customer service reps are helpful and polite, which is so noticeable today. They know what they are talking about, and I understand their explanations; they speak clearly and in good English, especially with accounting questions, as accounting is so confusing to me. I like the ease of using the program; I quickly adjusted to it. I seldom need to call customer service, as I can figure things out myself 90% of the time. As time goes on (we've been using Buildium only since December 2013), I keep finding new reasons to like the program. I haven't even used all of the capabilities that it offers. The lease ledger setup, entering payments, check writing, using reports, figuring out where we are in our bank account, and more are easy. I love how if I make a mistake, correcting it is easy, which wasn't the case with our old system. What I really like about the program is that Buildium tweaks its program frequently based on input from customers. They seem to listen to customer needs and make changes. I've really noticed this, and it is very positive! When we were looking at new software cost was important, and Buildium offered one of the best values. But because the cost was so competitive, I worried that we might regret going with Buildium. Some of the other companies really pushed their software hard and put down Buildium and some other companies, but we're happy now that we've been using Buildium for seven months, and we have no plans to go with any competitor's software in the future.

Cons

The system slows down sometimes around 4 or 5PM Pacific time, but I'm not sure that it's Buildium's fault. We're in California, and customer service phone help ends at 2:00 PM Pacific Time, and it seems that when I occasionally want to call, it's after 2:00 PM, which is a little frustrating. The reports are great, but there is just one report which I used to run on my old program that isn't available on Buildium in the same format. Otherwise, I've found all the reports so far that I need. I really can't think of anything else of significance that Buildium doesn't offer.

March 2014

Kelvin from Heeth-Wang Properties

March 2014

Pretty good software for our small property company

Pros

The software is easy to use across multiple platforms; I can use it from my smartphone, tablet, or from a PC with an internet connection. It has lots of useful features. As a six-property small company, we only use a few of the features so far. We started using it for the accounting. But there is more; I especially like the applicant tracking feature which we used for the first time in the past month. It happened to be integrated with a product we actually already used for credit/background checks. I was able to send a prospective tenant a link to the website Buildium produces for you where the tenant could complete the application online. I then sent links for the SmartMove credit/background check to the prospect. It all fed back into Buildium and even notified the prospects of our decision by email. There is also a way to post new listings online with Zillow, Trulia, etc. from within Buildium. As we were already set up for another method, I have not used it yet but will likely try on the next property we have available. It allows you to add property pictures, property descriptions and leasing information that would save time on properties with higher turnover. There is a built-in website-making function that has a lot of potential to set your tenants up with accounting and other information online. There is a method for setting up payments online too, but it's tied into just one vendor. As I don't want to give up any percentage of the rent we receive to a credit card company, I'm not using that one myself. I'm not sure if you could use other vendors for online payments. I do plan on setting up my tenants online so they can see the payments we have posted for them and their lease information. They will also be able to request maintenance items online, too, which would be helpful in our tracking of such items.

Cons

There is a learning curve to figuring out how to effectively use the software. Also, there are some things it won't do without a workaround from an accounting standpoint. We have mortgages on some property which takes a workaround to account for properly. Also, the payment method assumes you cut a check or use their EFT system. In reality, we usually use a credit card and pay off that bill. But we have to account for it by pretending that we cut a check. Not a dealbreaker, but it takes some work sometimes to figure out the workaround for a given situation. The Help function is useful, and I am sure contacting the company would work too (although we have not needed to contact them for questions so far).

ANGELA from Hemlock Court

User Reveiw

I have found that this product has helped me keep accurate ledgers, and ensure that my accounts are current in real life as well.

Pros

I find this software to be very user friendly. I had little to no experience when I was first introduced to this product and found it very easy to navigate. Their training videos have been helpful in learning the software as well.

Cons

One of the things I have noticed with this software is that you have to individually mark for an email receipt to be sent. I feel like there should be an option to automatically send the receipt upon payment acceptance. I often times forget to hit this button for those that want the email receipt. If I could assign this function for all transactions when setting up the unit it would make things much easier. I feel like this software would benefit from a little extra space to add in LIHTC information to individual units.

Response from Buildium

Replied September 2019

Hi Angela, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! You can set up automatic payment receipts by navigating to Settings > Application Settings, then click Residents. From there, scroll to the Payment Receipts section and select to automatically send receipts. Thanks again for leaving your feedback! Best, The Buildium Team

Andy from EPIC Property Management

Nearly a decade of use... but losing the love.

I love the product and how it works. I can even deal with the occasional slow server days. I am finding though that support and communication coming from Buildium has been declining over the years. Without the great service that we used to enjoy, I find myself thinking more about price shopping. There are other good software options, what we were in love with was Buildium's great support.

Pros

Developed specifically for my industry and ability for tenants to pay rent & view ledger online. I like that software updates are typically helpful with increased automation and improved end-to-end workflow.

Cons

Support has increasingly become distant and vague. 6+ years ago I could call or email and contact someone who I could show the problem I was having. They would be able to update meperididicaly or I could just look up that task and see the update. Now they've removed any user ability to be involved with / or ability to check on issues. Beyond that it has taken 2+ reports of the problem to get a response...and we're still waiting on repair of several issues that have been going for months. It is REALLY frustrating that support will say they have a known issue with video tours on YouTube, but if you go to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] it says there are no problems. It feels like Buildium is talking out of both sides of it's mouth. For the last 12mo all of my support requests have been closed without any confirmation that the problem had been resolved. Two that I can think of were closed without communication or resolution and had to be re-opened.

Leuri from Presidio Property Management

Buildium - Easy to Use, Improving on Features

I know Property Managers trying to manage properties using spreadsheets. I can't imaging trying to run 41 units on a spreadsheet so I love the ability to compartmentalize all the components of Property Management. I love the ability to receive all payments, including cash, electronically without having to run a deposit to the bank. While I think your Customer Tech Support is great, there are times that I am able to figure out how something works and why it works that way, faster than Tech Support and sometimes they can't figure it out, I have to tell them the logic behind how it works.

Pros

User friendly, accounting functions easy to adapt and correct. Great tech support. Integration of application information porting to Tenant ledger is improving. Like the auto transactions to move Pre-paid rents to actual rents.

Cons

Inability to edit a task description. Inability to run a "snapshot" report for some GL accounts (which always pick up the current balance instead of selecting the balance as of a given date, lazy programming). Appfolio features integrated leases as a basic feature, not an additional service for elease, which is cumbersome and expensive for smaller companies. Appfolio also provides a scheduling feature at no additional charge. However, Buildium's accounting/office backend is vastly superior to Appfolio. Overall, I like Buildium and its'user-friendly platform.

Response from Buildium

Replied February 2019

Hi Leuri, Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We've passed your feedback directly to both our product team and our customer care department. Thanks again for your honest review! Best, The Buildium Team

Angelica from Cardon Real Estate

Great job at making the relationships between tenants and owners

Buildium has freed up a lot of time during the application process, the manual rent payment processing (thanks to ePay), and allows me to store relevant documents (leases, copies of repairs) online and accessible at any time.

Pros

I like that I can upload and save data that I need while out of the office, and have current information at my fingertips as this is an online based system. No need to run back to the office and dig through a filing cabinet. I love it when tenants pay online and Owners sign up for direct deposit, ePay is a must!

Cons

I do not like that I don't get a warning message if I attempt to double charge a management fee for the same period.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

Affordable and easy to learn

Response from Buildium

Replied August 2019

Hi Angelica, Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We will take your feedback around a warning for management fees back to our product team. All the best, The Buildium Team

John from Cobalt Property Services

Buildium has grown with my company

My company was been with Buildium since 2009. I have been very pleased with the platform, but have been especially impressed with their customer service. Any time my team has an issue, Buildium's reps are quick to respond. I've also had a great experience working with our Customer Success Manager, who has kept me in the loop on new features and given me opportunities to directly offer my feedback to the product development team. I have been very transparent with everyone in saying that Buildium does 90% of the things I would like it to do...and I'll add they do them very well and at a reasonable price. The last 10% are things that are (in part) best accomplished by "playing nice with others" via an accessible API. I sincerely hope that Buildium keeps its forward-looking approach it has displayed of late and continues innovating and listening to the needs of its customers. If they do, I look forward to continuing to grow my organization with Buildium playing a key role.

Pros

*Interface is clean and easy to navigate *Great learning platform (Buildium Academy) *Well-priced vs competition *Continually adding new features *Fantastic customer support *Product development team has been very open to hearing our experience

Cons

*Could use more customization in reporting, though they have made some major strides recently *Dashboard is limited and doesn't give as much info visually as I'd like *Closed platform (API) only working with their chosen vendors *Geared more toward single-family properties vs multifamily (could use a make-ready/turnover board) *Limited workflows/checklists around repeating tasks

Tom from Manning Properties, LTD and KentStateRentals.com

Staff has been excellent. Software is very good. I like that they listen and will add features!

Saves time and allows better communication with tenants

Pros

Ease of use. Very intuitive design. It is customized for Property Management and for rental owners.

Cons

Their are a few functionality items that I would like to see added. I do understand that it is not efficient to add a feature based on only a few people requesting it. The reset password link to tenants needs to be looked at. When you reset a tenant password, the link expires after 10-15 minutes. That pretty much means you have to be on the phone with them to make sure they are in front of a computer when you reset. However, most of our requests for a reset come via e-mail and when we respond and do the rest, we can not guarantee the end user is going to take action right away. I understand security, but a 24 hour expiration on a password reset would be more reasonable. Security-wise,...if someone hacks into a tenant user account the only thing they can really do is post a work order or pay the persons rent for them. Hacker has no reason to get into someones Tenant account so no need for such short time frame on password reset procedures.

Response from Buildium

Replied January 2018

Hi Tom, Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts! In regards to your comments around password reset timing, we realize this can be inconvenient and are actively working on a solution so tenants can request a new password after expiration without needing to contact their property manager. Stay tuned for an update. Thank you again for your honest feedback!

Mary from Tristan Estates LLC

Excellent software that is constantly looking to improve itself and its value

We have loved being users of Buildium and have continue for almost 10 years. The value, quality, and efficiency it adds to our business is truly worth its subscription price.

Pros

We love that Buildium is constantly looking to ways to add value to our daily work. We have integrated Happy Inspector into our protocols due to its ease of use and integration into Buildium. The work orders and online portal are phenomenal additions as well.

Cons

We find it very difficult to manage accounts with many tenants. Sororities and fraternities with multiple payers must be divided out via a spreadsheet to truly see where the payments are being made.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

The pricing and abilities of the software far surpassed these other softwares.

David from The Full House

Solid Package

Pros

Integration of most PM tasks--accounting, billing, payment processing, inspections, property marketing, communication.

Cons

Accounting is clunky when using credit cards for property repair materials and outside vendors; no way to send mass texts to tenants (yet).

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

another team member already had experience with Buildium

Michele from Pacific Real Estate Management Group

Easy to Use; Customer Service is Excellent

My experience is good. Sometimes it takes awhile to figure what words I need to use in a search if I have to learn how to do something.

Pros

I like that the software is a no-brainer and I can usually get things done quickly.

Cons

Each month I have to print reports for 2 associations and the reports must contain the name, address, email, and phone numbers for each. The names and the email addresses change. It would be great if we could add and keep the names in the Report Settings so all we'd have to do is click on the saved info. If I forget to change the information I have to go back and re-print the reports with the correct info. I'm a really small company and Buildium is expensive for me.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

The learning curve appeared to be easy and it had what I was looking for at the time. The reports are easy to read.

Jaron from Augusta Rental Homes

Buildium is great!

Buildium has been a tremendously positive influence in our company and has helped us grow at the rate that we have!

Pros

It is easy to use and allows people of all technology skill sets to be able to figure it out. The tenant communication features are awesome and we use them as often as we can. E-leasing is great too!

Cons

It is difficult to track which units are down, or being renovated, or being turned etc. There is only one distinction of vacant or rented. It does not allow for us to track the projects well at all so we have to track those manually outside of the software. For full buildium integration we need a tool to allow us to do that better

initial cost and ease of implementation. When we started we only had 30 units

Response from Buildium

Replied August 2019

Hi Jaron, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review! We've taken note of your feedback on unit statuses, and we'll pass it along to our product team. Thanks again! The Buildium Team

Kirsten from Greenaway Realty

The problem we have with Buildium

We really do like Buildium (a lot) in so many ways; however, we continue to try out other software ONLY due to the tax issue causing us audit issues.

Pros

To many to list - I really like all of the many great features.

Cons

The online help is mostly outdated/missing steps- it RARELY includes all the steps required resulting in calling the support line, using valuable time on hold & no assurance of receiving a call back, the time difference, we have a limited window as is. Being closed weekends& all holidays is very frustrating. The Academy is very basic entry and great info but we often are not in that perfect world, video of common problems would be very helpful from the helpline as they often say we see this a lot!! Only talking to the support line do you understand how to do perform the entry, this could Free up the support line for uncommon issues. For a Canadian Company it is very upsetting that GST has not been ignored for a long time, this is requirement by law and one that has cost us a great deal of time - it is not a wish or would like to have, it is an essential MUST have, yet, Buildium is working on improving features such as communicating more efficiently with texts, etc. These are great features but compared to Tax and Government it simply feels like you are not concerned with the needs of your Canadian Clients. We had an issue with moving in new tenants it auto applied a payment for the deposits, Buildium was over 4 mths replying&we had to bug Buildium for an answer. We missed it on 1 ledger cost us a lot of time trying to find out why our bank Acct was short. Still no solution, its now sporadic. I sure hope it isn’t affecting any large companies. (only 3 con items :))

Stephanie from MacDoc Property Management

Buildium spells Property Manager's Relief

We have been using Buildium for over 9 years now and it was by far the best decision for our company. Being a web-based system our staff/vendors have the flexibility to work anywhere with an internet connection and even on their phones. Buildium is constantly providing updates and new features to grow with their customers. Alexis is our customer service rep and she is fantastic!! They always listen to their customers and accept feedback and ideas. We continue to be impressed not only by their outstanding products for the Property Management industry but also by their excellent customer service and their fantastic, always positive, attitude in the process. Excellent product. Amazing people. We will continue to recommend Buildium without hesitation.

Pros

The flexibility of our company to operate and fully function without being in the office. Our staff can work from anywhere even from their phones. This has afforded us the ability to have live updates on all facets of our business and have a pulse on everything going on at the same time. We can even do it from the beach! I have also never worked with another company that is so willing to work with their clients to provide features and services requested. Their customer service is simply exceptional!

Cons

There are some areas that could be improved but we have submitted our ideas and Alexis is amazing and always working hard to ensure our ideas, concepts and feedback are heard by their software developers.

Naomi from Grigg Property

Runs my company for me

Having the application, background check and e-lease all part of one system has increased the ease of converting an potential tenant into a real tenant, and the automated payment system and late notices has definitely reduced the chances of rent being paid late.

Pros

Buildium automates almost all parts of the property management aspects of my job. From the online application and e-leasing to accepting rent payments and providing my financial reports at tax time. Whenever I find something that doesn't work about the software or that it doesn't do, I have contacted customer support who have been very responsive and shown me that intact the software does in fact do what I want it to. It has been a continuously positive experience and has honestly changed my experience of managing my properties.

Cons

Instead of using the app from my phone, I log into the main site always as the app doesn't give me the information that I like to see regarding rent payments.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

No alternative products were going to genuinely reduce my workload by much. They were going to be official looking and de-personalise the payment process, but I wanted a system that would include the application, background checks, e-lease functionality with the payment (including the ability to pay by cash at local stores) and communications.

Response from Buildium

Replied August 2019

Hi Naomi, We're so happy to hear of your positive experiences with Buildium! We will pass your feedback around our mobile app to our mobile team. All the best, The Buildium Team

Nolin from Realty Experts Group

na

overall we are happy with buildium and looking to grow because of it. i have expressed my concerns for the above a few times. thanks again

Pros

buttons and organization is very easy. there is so many options to use. the customer service is top notch. it allows us to be online for everything

Cons

Being canadian makes it hard for us to budget due to the dollar. i really wish we could operate or pay for buildium with the canadian dollar, or having a canadian platform. we miss some features because of being canadian. i think if you could offer canadian dollar platforms buildium could really grow fast here. The other part would be nice if money received by tenants could be immediately collected like an interac etransfer. the fact that it takes a certain amount of days before the money comes out and cant be reversed is a bit nervous for us. we were used to immediate collection and now we have to create new policies to wait. we have been caught paying an owner only to have a rent reversed. The last issue would be how tenants pay and it all gets pooled into one account. so if a security deposit is paid it pools into the main rental account and then we have to transfer the money and make note of that. i dont understand why we cant have two accounts so when tenants pay security deposit it can go directly into my security deposit account and when they pay rent it goes into a rental account.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

it had both platforms well organized. for the canadian products, one had a great lease and application platform and in canadian dollars, but they didnt have a back end program. the other was the reverse. due to that fact we chose buildium

Christy from Nimius LLC

Its a nice start but needs improvements

generally its fine, issues noted above. its just a little cumbersome and sometimes confusing and a lot of times inconsistent between online and app versions

Pros

I like having all the information in one place, being able to add files and notes to properties, owners, and tenants is great. The built-in communication features are great, and the workorders are a big help.

Cons

Inconsistencies between the website and the app. Sometimes we cannot access files when using the app when I know they have been uploaded to the tenant areas. The app also doesn't allow the workers to see the contact information even when selecting a tenant. The name shows up but no way to see the numbers so we have to add it in the notes. The website allows us to categorize the workorders, but you can only select sub-categories AFTER it is entered, and subcategories are not customizable. Also we cannot delete categories we do not use. Also we cannot add multiple workers to a work order (or assign multiple work orders to a task would be an alternative). We also have problems with messages appearing within the tenant's communication tab, but not in the main messages notifications on the top of page. Those names also do not appear in the notifications list at all sometimes for every worker so we do not get notified of the messages properly. Financial pages are a little challenging to figure out cash available in an easy manner, the accounting style is a little odd, and it would be great if we had some training videos to share with owners and tenants on how to make best use of their portals. These probably exist in the help docs somewhere, we just haven't gotten that far yet.

Lisa from AJD Property Management

Ease of use

Overall it's a good software and we have been pleased with the ease of use and their ability to take requests and make changes to the software

Pros

I really like the ease of use. It's pretty simple to figure out for both managers and tenants. Tenants are able to pay their rent online which has made collecting rent and on time payments so much better.

Cons

The software has the ability to take payments for multiple months however in order to properly apply them on the months when you need to it doesn't have an automatic feature. Also, it would be nice if there was a way to go to a specific tenant and make payments on multiple accounts without having to go out to each account separately. We have storage units as well as properties and some tenants have multiple units. They would like to only make one payment that could be dispersed to all the accounts instead of multiple payments. It would be nice if the property manager was able to do that as well. In addition, I don't like the integration of the mobile app for the software. It's clunky and difficult to use. The older version was more user friendly.

Response from Buildium

Replied August 2018

Hi Lisa, Thanks for your honest review! We just released an automatic prepaid rent feature in July! Our support team would be happy to walk you through how it works if you give us a call at 888-414-1988! Best, The Buildium Team

Great Software, Better People

Overall, our company enjoys using Buildium. We probably wouldn't be able to manage all the properties we have with our old system. Buildium has made us more efficient and improved our company's workflow.

Pros

Buildium is everything you need as a property owner/manager. We have used Buildium for nearly three years and manage several hundred properties with it. It lists owners, tenants, and vendors. It makes your property accounting easy. Tenants can log in to their own portal and see their balance pay their rent. Owners can log in and see everything they need to see. The reports look good and are easy to read. When a property becomes vacant, Buildium can post that vacancy to multiple websites where prospective tenants can find the units. In my experience, though, the people at Buildium have been the best part about Buildium. They are helpful, they are considerate, and they are knowledgable. I have spoken and met with Buildium reps and each time it was a pleasent and enjoyable experience.

Cons

The software is big, it does a lot. This can be daunting to overcome for some (this shouldn't be a reason not to use it). Occasionally, you will come across something that doesn't make sense, but not often. Buildium is always updating and improving performance.

Rental Management Software that just works!!

We used to use QuickBooks, it is not geared towards property managers. QuickBooks has a set of vast libraries of functions to cover way to many different businesses. Buildium is made for just that reason. Buildium has saved us a lot. We no longer need a bookkeeper to handle the simple task of day to day entries.

Pros

Buildium is an awesome piece on software, easy to learn. They have video tutorials for almost everything the software is designed to do. When I run into something I don't have time to go find the answer to I just call them, their support is the best. They have walked me through several situations in a kind and generous way. Buildium has tenant and property owner login pages so that they can see how or company is handling their properties, I can receive payments online. Tenants can submit repair items online as well. The list goes on & on.

Cons

Buildium is not geared to do all of your bookkeeping in. If you chose to go this route there is some double entering that you will have to do. I think they should develop a setting that could be changed to do just that. My business keeps the money on the books, you have to redeposit the money back into the main business account on several of the functions if you plan to use it as your bookkeeping software.

Amy C Elkins from Southern Homes

Its good but not great

They have been good and I am thankful for them. I have been actively researching other companies and considering seriously making a move. I almost did mid 2018 & their rep talked me out of it and I regret listening to her. They need to be able to keep up with the newest and latest technology that others are offering.

Pros

It does help you get organized & backs up all the information so you won't lose it. I like that it integrates our vacant properties to the web. But there is nothing they do special now at this point that every other big name PM software provider is not offering and some doing more cheaper.

Cons

It is not as user friendly as we would like. There are multiple steps to go through to get to basic info or areas you need to input that should be easier. It lacks some of the features that other companies have such as reporting to credit, collections assistance and their company they use for payments is horrible. I am not a fan of Forte at all! It takes too long to have electronic funds transferring. They take it from my account immediately but they are super slow everywhere else. I had how the book keeping is done in general. I wish they would collect fees from payments and not have the credit debit system with us because it is a nightmare doing your books t

Melissa from Corman Home Sales & Property Management

Intuitive & Efficient

I think my overall experience has been very good. This software has saved me a lot of time and streamlines several things about my business. I am a "one woman show" and manage over 120 units pretty much by myself. I wouldn't be able to do that without Buildium.

Pros

For the most part, the software is pretty intuitive. I like the tenants and owners have their own portal for payments, communication, etc. Using them for the credit & criminal background checks makes it very easy. The software has features I haven't touched yet, but can't wait to get to! The customer service is very good. While I prefer to call and speak directly with someone, the ability to submit "tickets" and get responses that way is nice.

Cons

When changes are made to the software, I don't receive notice of the change occurring, what it's about, what does the change mean to me, etc. Unless I know to go looking for it.

Response from Buildium

Replied February 2019

Hi Melissa, Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We release new features once a month, and you can find information on each item by clicking on the "What's New" bell in the top right corner of the software! We also have a What's New webinar every quarter - we have one coming up in March! Stay tuned for an invite to register in your email. Thanks again for your review! Best, The Buildium Team

Heidi from H&P Realty Management, Inc.

Best property management software for the price

I've called Buildium a few times throughout the years when I was trying to figure out the best way to handle an unusual transaction, and they have always been extremely helpful.

Pros

It keeps us organized! We can track amounts due, keep tenant lease docs at our fingertips, manage our vendors, pay our bills, screen our tenants, reconcile our bank accounts, receive rent, and correspond with our tenants all within the same software. I'm a CPA, so being able to do double-entry bookkeeping and run financial reports is important to me. But, this software is so easy, you don't have to be a CPA in order to be able to use it. Highly recommended!

Cons

There's nothing I don't like about this software.

Nicci from NT Squared Properties

Great for online payments

Eh. I work in software onboarding/training and feel that Buildium should offer more of a guided set up. You're basically on your own and then they have a helpdesk you can refer to. The helpdesk and academy is good, but not great. Many times I can't find what I need and need to put in a ticket. I feel that the response times are not great and most of the time they are time sensitive issues (need a lease out today... need to accept a payment today and my epay wasn't set up), so i don't feel like they are empathetic to the customer.

Pros

Love that my tenants can pay me easily. We offer a discount on rent to anyone who agrees to sign up for autopay in their lease. This keeps our tenants paying regularly and Buildium makes that aspect easy.

Cons

I had originally purchased Buildium for the payment portion, but was excited that they had elease and full accounting features, but both of those are lacking greatly. Each time I need to send out a lease I run into trouble and have to put in a ticket. Because the ticket response time can be slow and I want to be timely for my tenants- I have yet to actually send a lease from Buildium and use another esign software. The accounting is clunky and not intuitive. Seems like there are a lot of clicks to do one thing and the reporting isn't super straight forward. If you buy Buildium because the price is nice, assume you will need to add on HelloSign or Docusign and potentially Quickbooks or something as well and factor that into your overall estimate.

cost