All Buildium Reviews

The Best PM Software Solution

Rick

Reviewed May 2021

We deferred the decision to adopt Buildium for 10 years too long

Our biggest challenge was gathering all of our data as it was stored in numerous systems. Buildium's deployment staff was excellent in helping us to get off the ground. We were live within 30 days of starting and have continued to add functionality throughout the year.

PROS

We have been live for just over a year now. We use the applications, electronic rent collection (epay), accounting, Resident Center, and task tracking (maintenance) features of Buildium. Their automation has saved us so much time and money.

CONS

Wishlist rather than cons as the system is very good: 1) multiple applications would be good based on the type of property rather than being limited to just 1 application, 2) the ability to move a tenant out and move a new tenant in on the same day, 3) better tenant communications (emailing and messaging) above and beyond what is built-in, we adopted Follow-up Boss for this, 4) API should be open to Zapier

It was the best fit

Reasons for switching to Buildium

We were so fragmented, although we still kept Rentec Direct for Off Market Listings

Keenan

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Reviewed June 2021

The Best PM Software Solution

We have enlarged our client base with Buildium's features thanks to their focus on speed and accuracy with payments, reporting, and accounting ease.

PROS

Online payments are a game-changer. Owner/tenant/HOA access allows each respective person the ability to view important reports and property status in real-time. The property database is completely searchable from anywhere on the site.

CONS

The task feature is a bit wanting. It's good for what it is, but dedicated project management or to-do list applications work just as well or better in most cases.

Reason for choosing Buildium

It suited our company the most and its HOA features offered what we were looking for.

Reasons for switching to Buildium

The dedicated property management features

Stephen

Reviewed June 2024

Great System!

PROS

Very easy to use and navigate. Best software I've worked with.

CONS

being able to export GL items into excel or even pdf

Jim

Used free trial

Reviewed July 2011

I switched to Buildium from QuickBooks in July 2011 and will switch off on January 1, 2012. We manage about 100 single family properties that are owned by about 30 investors. Yes Buildium is easy. Yes it is simple but if you are in the business of managing properties for multiple owners it just doesn't do the job. First, there is no way to invoice an owner for repairs. Buildium says you should have enough in your reserve account to cover the bill. OK, that makes sense, but what if you don't? There is no way within the system to tell an owner about upcoming expenses. You have to use another accounting system (QuickBooks for me) to invoice and track receipts. Then you have to add the invoice and payment to Buildium so the owner's reports on the portal (a nice but rarely used feature) are complete. The ability to sort reports is nearly non-existent. Buildium says to down load the report to Excel and then sort. Trouble is, the Excel file has so many merged fields that you cannot sort a single column. It is taking me 15 minutes to find and remove all the merged header information before a simple sort can be done. If you select the entire sheet then un-merge the report becomes a mess. The ability to "find" is absolutely non-existent. If you get a check for $1,453.62 and need to know where to apply it, good luck my friend. You have to call the issuer and get the name of the property and unit. Receipts, statements and reports, which are generated as pdf, are all formatted differently. This means you have to have 3 different types of window envelopes on hand at all times. Buildium is "joined at the hip" with NELCO printing and I have not been able to find checks other than NELCO's that print correctly. Why is this a big deal? NELCO charges $0.35 a check while Costco charges $0.035 per per check. If Buildium is not getting commissions on the business they send to NELCO, they certainly should. The online help search feature is worthless. There is no content searching so whatever word you type in the search box shows every page that includes any of the searched words. Skip the search and go directly to their index. With a little effort you can find an answer. The support team is quite pleasant and responds quickly. They rarely, however, have a direct answer and absolutely refuse to ever confirm a feature, like sending a bill to an owner, is just not there. What they do is endlessly reply, "We don't understand your question, please clarify." I have no one to blame for selecting Buildium except myself. When I asked to be shown features in the online demo I was told to talk to sales. When I asked sales the same question they said to sign up for a demo. In summary Buildium is cheap and easy but of little substance.

I have a few minor quibbles with Jim’s review, but he’s mostly right. While you can invoice an owner for repairs, it’s not as easy as it should be. Jim’s also right about our reports; we provide most of the reports people expect, but you can’t customize them and trying to manipulate them in Excel is a pain. That’s something we plan to tackle in a future release. It’s also way too hard to find what you’re looking for in the current release, but that’s changing with the new global search feature due out in the next few weeks. You still won’t be able to search for a missing check, but that’s on our roadmap too.

Replied August 2011

Douglas

Reviewed February 2024

Building our business with Buildium

Extremely positive, cost effective, and reliable. Fully featured including Tenant Portal, repair requests receiving and tracking. Now includes document signing at no extra cost. Support is friendly and quick to solve problems keeping us on track.

PROS

Now that we have worked with it for a few years Buildium is an integral part of our operation. We could not operate as efficiently and as professionally as we do.

CONS

Very steep learning curve and there are still times when things happen we can't fix ourselves. But Buildium tech support is extremely understanding and quick to locate and fix issues.

Thanks for the support shout out, Douglas! They really are a cut above!

Max

Reviewed February 2024

Very reliable PM software for professional residential management

PROS

It's really easy to use, but still gives us very advanced tools. Robust trust accounting makes auditing and compliance easy. Support is always good and prompt. They are constantly making updates and improvements and seem to really care about the product. I like features that save me time and Buildium delivers. Really good tenant app, tenants really like it. Communication features work well.

CONS

Buildium is great for PMs who manage up to about 100 properties. It lacks the features that you need for over that amount, such as advanced batch reports, missing many standardized features and tools, no inspection schedule tracking, and the manager app isn't the best.

Reason for choosing Buildium

Appfolio requires 50 units which we didn't meet at the time. Propertyware was similar to Buildium but harder to setup.

Reasons for switching to Buildium

Doorloop is not meant for professional property management. It's missing a lot of compliance features and is not compliant with my state's licensing board. Doorloop is not trust accounting compliant. Many features they advertise don't work and are broken. I'd see Instagram ads pop up for Doorloop showing off new features trying to get signups, but those features didn't exist at all.

Thanks for your review, Max! Definitely let us know what features you'd like to see by going to the "Suggest a feature" page in your Help & Support menu.

Reviewed January 2024

Buildium Is a Professional Property Management Software at An Economical Price

I have tried many Property Management Software items throughout my career. Still, Buildium offers far more features for the price than any other software, along with the Buildium Academy, and continually updates the software to include more features.

PROS

I like the multitude of features that Buildium offers, with work orders, rent tracking, and accounting among the most helpful.

CONS

In my opinion, Buildium's many features are hidden by an antiquated interface, making it difficult to learn initially. If this interface had a more modern feel, it might attract even more customers once they could see its many powerful features.

Reason for choosing Buildium

Buildium offers way more features for the money.

Reasons for switching to Buildium

Buildium offers far more features for the price, so I came back to stay.

We've glad Buildium is providing you value. We're also open to feedback. Let us know what you'd like to see for interface updates by going to the "Suggest a feature" page in your Help & Support menu.

ROBERT

Reviewed January 2024

Simple Easy property mangement tools

Simeple and easy to use. Customer service is relatively quick to respond, but if you have basic plan, you are limited to only email correpondence. Overall the buildium costs less than other products but they lacks in reporting options for commercial buildings.

PROS

They are simple to manuever and easy to implement the functions. Overall compared with other products on the market, it is relatively easy to use.

CONS

Many times the system is more geared to apartment/residential type buildings and residential tenants. This might be something to consider when you are commercial property manager since the reporting functions for commercial management are some what limited and not so friendly. I strongly suggest that they implement more functions and reporting options for different types of commercial properties.

Reason for choosing Buildium

The cost of monthly fee is the key factor for small property management company.

Reasons for switching to Buildium

We appreciate your thorough review, Robert! Definitely let us know how we can improve in commercial management by submitting your ideas through the "Suggest a feature" option in your Help & Support menu.

Replied April 2024

Hunter

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Reviewed May 2024

What a great product!

Buildium on the computer never disappointed! It made managing close to 400 properties easy for our team. It kept everything well organized and made everything from accounting to repairs much easier.

PROS

That it seamlessly allowed me to integrate leases, accounting, properties, and repairs in one place!

CONS

The app that came with Buildium left some to be desired but did it's job well enough. If the app had more features it would definitely be an upgrade.

Thanks for your review, Hunter! We appreciate your kind words. If you had any suggestions for the mobile app, be sure to let our team know through the "Suggest a feature" page in the Help & Support page.

Jacquelyn

Reviewed June 2024

First time buildup user

PROS

We liked that we could have everything in one place. Also, that the owners of our associations can pay their monthly fee online and not worry about sending payments via mail.

CONS

We wish that some of the features were more clearly labeled. At the beginning it was difficult to find were certain things were categorized.

Diane

Reviewed August 2019

Buildium Builds Confidence in Our Owners and Tenants

I have come to rely on Buildium always being there when I need to enter information into the system or to generate a report or look up a transaction. I can't remember ever having a time when the system was down or not available. Not having to worry about this gives me peace of mind, and in a sometimes hectic environment, this is important. Buildium is dependable.

PROS

I use Buildium daily and rely on it to enter information that will be used to generate monthly and annual reports. The finished product is easy to read and looks very professional. Our owners know they are in good hands when they can easily see where there money is spent and feel confident that we are protecting their investment. For our tenants, they really like being able to pay their rent on line, saving them time and money. If I have an issue that needs to be resolved, I know I can count on Buildium's customer service department to answer my questions quickly and accurately.

CONS

I understand how this software works now because I have been using it for the past several years, however, there was a little bit of a learning curve. Because I know the limitations of Buildium and how to get around them, there is less and less that I don't like about the software.

Reason for choosing Buildium

I chose Buildium because it was affordable and fairly easy to use. I liked the ease it offers my tenants to pay online and how simple it is to pay my owners.

Diane, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. We know what a tough job property management can be, and we're so happy that we can help bring you peace-of-mind! We appreciate you as a loyal customer! Best, The Buildium Team

Replied August 2019

Ryan

Reviewed September 2019

Opt for Monthly over Yearly at discounted rate

Benefits realized would be never opting to save 10% for a yearly contract when a company fails to stand behind their product. As a property manager my success mainly relies on tenants being happy with their situation I'm always perplexed when I deal with vendors that don't share that same idea.

PROS

The added features and collaborations with other products such as Happy Co. Inspector and other features were a huge selling point.

CONS

On-boarding process was horrible, were given two options but the options we choose meant we never truly implemented the software, constantly we were pushed back month after month without being operational except for two properties. Balance and accounting sheet were never resolved. Repeatedly postponed and after months of not having the software work as suggested it would asked to be reimbursed for remaining months not even for a total refund which was denied under the condition that this is a 'self-service' software. If we had chosen month to month option we would of discontinued use of this product after two months. Unable to find an amicable resolution and thus will continue to use this product for the only two properties that were properly entered until the contract ends and discontinue service. The quality of their employees is very high and were easy to deal with but resolutions never truly came and sadly they didn't stand behind their product enough to understand that the on-boarding was never successful and meet a fair resolution. Was offered two months for free after 6 months of not being fully on-boarded.

Reason for choosing Buildium

For ease of use, until actually using the product. If on-boarding this product make sure to have them implement everything for you, as there is no getting around the extremely long on-boarding process and entering our own information conflicted heavily with the entire process despite being assured that it wouldn't be. An example of a new company that hasn't truly learned or vetted their on-boarding process.

Dustin

Hospitality, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2020

Will never use another program

Buildium had always been the go to for me. It's user friendly for staff and extremely user friendly for my residents and older residents that aren't as technologically inclined. Anyone can use it. And when my older residents are confused they can call the hotline and get customer services from the team rather than calling is office during off hpurs.

PROS

The ease of importing all of our data and getting everything set up specifically for our hoa property. Everything we needed and none of the rental stuff we didn't. The team assisting us in seeing up the system has been incredible.

CONS

There is nothing I dislike. I would love to have the ability to shower multiple chargers on statements for dues and assessment and have those both track. But the team has shown me a way we can do that until the update team has created that ability.

Reason for choosing Buildium

I have used buildium for years. I knew they could customize a plan and payment specifically for our property rather than Trying to use a rental program for an hoa.

Reasons for switching to Buildium

Our PMC used this product and when it came time to part we ensured not to use this product due to the fact it's not as customizable as buildium nor accounts as well.

Tim

Reviewed March 2021

Great product for property management

Buildium has been great for property management. Online applications/background checks, epay, and the resident portal have proven to be daily uses in our business. 10 out of 10 would recommend.

PROS

epay. It's worth it for that. To be able to get paid online seemlessly is great. Communication being automated around payment is wonderful, too -- specifically, the lease ledger, automating late fees, and payment reminders.

CONS

We list properties for rent that do not have bed/baths on them - specifically, RV pad sites and commercial lots. Buildium does not allow us to list properties without the bed/bath requirement. This becomes confusing to prospective tenants when these listings are on our website and published elsewhere.

Reason for choosing Buildium

The recommendation of a trusted property manager.

Reasons for switching to Buildium

Was speaking about my challenges with Cozy with another property manager. They told me about Buildium. I made the switch that day.

Cynthia

Reviewed March 2022

Glad we use this system!

Rents are collected faster and easier. Especially now that fuel prices have risen, and we use a Post Office Box for our Business, this eliminates frequent trips to the Post Office to get rents. AND, the software tracks it all! In fact, we charge the residents who opt OUT of our Portal a fee when we have to process their paper payments (trip to the Post Office, bring back to office, trip to the bank).

PROS

Residents can pay their rent and management billed utilities on line. Even those residents who are not computer savy, we can set up their payments for them (with their written permission, of course).

CONS

Sometimes I feel the techs who write the instructions forget that not everyone is computer savy, so it takes time for the average user of the product some time to figure it out.

Reasons for switching to Buildium

Wanted to move to electronic payments from our Residents -- many had requested this feature before we switched to BUILDIUM. We are glad to did, now that fuel prices have risen -- fewer trips to the Post Office and our Bank.

Hi Cynthia, Thanks for submitting this review. I'm glad to see that we're not only saving you time, but money as well! - Charlie W

Replied March 2022

Aleta

Real Estate, 51-200 employees

Reviewed October 2022

Buildium is the Best

PROS

The system is very user friendly, the partner integrations add value that wasn't there before, reports are easy to read, and the Resident Center is a great way to communicate with the tenants.

CONS

I would like to be able to transfer tenants within the community, or to sister properties, without moving out and moving back in and I'd also like the record deposit screen to have a filter function (by property, by unit number, and by amount). A move-out/move-in report would be nice too, and the ability to run the Vacancy report within a specific time frame.

Reasons for switching to Buildium

We were using Buildium, then switched to Yardi Breeze because we were looking for a software that was integrated with Low Income Tax Credit functionality. The interface was clunky and not use friendly and the reporting wasn't accurate. So we switched back to Buildium.

Thanks for your review, Aleta! Glad to see that the Marketplace is bringing you some value. Sounds like you've got some good suggestions. Have you tried submitting them to our developers through the "Suggest a feature" option in your Help & Support menu? - Charlie

Replied October 2022

Kari

Real Estate, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2018

Buildium is Easy to Use- always

I train multiple users of Buildium to use it, help fix issues as they occur. Buildium makes it very easy to do and explain. I use it everyday doing the books in full for several accounts. I never cringe when investigating accounts for other peoples' errors because Buildium is so clear.

PROS

*Ease of use cannot be overstated *Screen aren't overly "busy" and the fonts are easily read, layout is obvious *Accuracy and flexibility to make all accounting coherent and easy to explain to brokers/owners *Reports generate quickly and while viewable on the screen can zero in on specific transactions, with interactive links *Ability to email individual reports or export in a variety of printing styles *Bank reconciliation and tie-out cash to properties and owners and company is simple *Communications have improved a lot in the past year - SMS tracking communication with tenants is much better. * banking window is AWESOME Being able to select by property and dates... Wonderful!!

CONS

*Reporting fails - prints two pages when unnecessary, waste of paper, most people want one pagers - inability to email all owners their statements to each owner all at once. Can email individual reports only. Can't select properties on the fly- have to create a printing Group first. *Email addresses in owner and tenant records still tried to jump outside of Buildium instead of taking you to a simplified email interface within for tracked communications. Sometimes it's a little clunky navigating back and forth to common areas like between lease and property *Inability to produce a Invoice to the owner for reimbursing the broker/property manager or other vendors as needed. Owner statement doesn't reflect bills for the property entered but not yet paid.

Karen