What are Hemlane users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Hemlane software through verified user reviews

• icon"The customer service has been exceptional, and there are so many other features we are still learning, ad have yet to implement. What a great value for our money as a small business."
  • icon"Being able to provide my tenants with a secure platform for online payments and communication has made our operations so much more seamless."
  • icon"The Dashboard is user friendly, and provides a great overview of all the things I need in order to manage my property."
  • icon"When an operation fails to perform, it simply prompt an error message."
  • icon"There is no app, that is my only complaint. We operate our real estate investment/property management business primarily by phone."
  • icon"There isnt a mobile app yet. Interaction in the financials page is a bit difficult to make changes to late fees."

Browse all Hemlane Reviews

• Have you used Hemlane and would like to share your experience with others?

Jesus

Hemlane for Property Manager's

It is easy to use once it is set up the maintance department is superb and they are constantly taking care of the tenants

Pros

Easy to use. The office upgrades the software to make it easier for the user to work with

Cons

There are still things that I personally will like to change but I always talk to their office and they had made the change

Reasons for choosing Hemlane

I spoke to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and after talking to him and guiding me through the process I was sold

Reasons for switching to Hemlane

The maintance department were not as effective as Hemlane

Raul

Hemlane saved my business!

I have been utilizing Hemlane for the past couple years and every time I have a question or concern they are always super responsive and help with any assistance I may need whether it be with tenants or Landlords. Exceptional service! Looking forward to continuing to do business with Hemlane and growing my Management company.

Pros

The most important feature that I love is "Transparency" , a platform that is designed to be clear with your landlords without any gimmick. The rent's being directed to their accounts at a push of a button is super helpful. The communication feature between the tenants is great! Simplicity is also key here with this platform.

Cons

To be picky I do think the platform is a little compartmentalized a little too much it makes it a little hard to navigate certain things. However, once you get the hang of it you know your way around. I would say the two things Hemlane can improve on is 1.) Guest Cards a little bit of a easier way to schedule a showing. The showing set up is kind of weird. I don't use it but would like it to be integrated with my calendar. 2.) The maintenance requests are a little hard to navigate such as recording payments and such. Just very minimal technical things. Hemlane is constantly improving their software though.

Reasons for switching to Hemlane

Landlords have access to their rents instantly with Hemlane

Terrific tool, really enjoy how it's made my life easier!

Pros

It's pretty quick and easy to get right into it and start working. And, I have never experienced such incredible customer support with software - simply the best, and the standard by which all others should be judged.

Cons

There are a couple functionality elements that sometimes leaving me scratching my head. But once I get it, I'm good to go.

Lukas

Feedback from an engineer

Excellent. I'm glad we chose Hemlane. It is my secret tool that i don't think many landlords have heard about. The big names out there dominate the market, but we tried a few of them very systematically and i wasn't impressed with them at all. As an owner that wants to take 10 units now, to 100 someday, i put A LOT of time and effort into evaluating software to try and select which one was going to be the best for our goals, grow with us, and also help us grow.

Pros

This software was made to make your life as a landlord easier and streamline many of the steps and tasks necessary when it comes to managing tenants. I spent quite a few hours filling out a decision matrix to select which software platform we were going to use. Hemlane was the easy winner with the items which we weight heavily and features that we wanted. Most of our weights and preferences stem from wanting to have a very streamlined and efficient property management system.

Cons

I think that coming on board and understanding how the Hemlane process works from the time a prospective tenant is interested to the time they are all set up as a tenant was not very well communicated. We kind of had to figure it out on our own. There is so many little nuances with what the software does, how it communicates, how it advertises, what happens when a prospective tenant reaches out from a 3rd party site via email, etc. Thought the software is set up great and i wouldn't change much, but some training when purchasing the product for the first time would have eliminated a lot of headaches and questions for instances like were mentioned. Also, PLEEEEEAAAAASSSEEEE make an android app. The mobile version of the site does not seem to work well. Both myself and tenants have had problems with it.

Reasons for choosing Hemlane

Our Absolute Requirements were as follows: 1. Online payment Capabilities both to and from tenants 2. Automatic Late Fees 3. A maintenance tracking and communication portal 4. Automatic lease tracking and renewal notifications Weights used to make are decision were as follows: 1. Cost (total cost per month, screening and background check cost, total setup cost) = 30% 2. Number and type of Advertising sites = 10% 3. Technical Support = 10% 4. Mobile app, Mobile friendly capabilities = 10% 5. Prospective Tenant, background and credit check structure/process - who streamlined is it? = 20% 6. Sheduling calendar for showings for prospective tenants and how it wors = 10% 7. Aesthetics/Layout/Ease of use = 10% Hemlane had the highest in many of these categories compared to the softwares which we investigated.

Reasons for switching to Hemlane

The customer support was atrocious. We couldn't even get our bank account setup after six weeks. It was also more expensive, and the so called "accounting" features were utterly ridiculous. I was better off keeping spreadsheets.

Patsy

Saved From Paying for Tutoring to Learn my Software

I am paying much less each month with Hemlane and enjoying the experience much more. I am still learning to use the system but I do not feel I need to pay a tutor to help me learn. It is much more user friendly, and the support I have received from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], my primary contact, and other support members has relieved stress I was once feeling.

Pros

The support I have received from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] from day 1 has been phenomenal. I appreciate how I am always able to schedule a meeting with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] within a day or two, if not the same day. I love that I can send her an email ( and receive a reply) when a question comes up for me, but an immediate answer is not required. She still gets back to me in a timely manner. I am still learning the software, but its much more user friendly, than my previous property management property.

Cons

I am not sure that the financials tracking aspects will prove to be what I would like to have overall. But I am sure I will be able to work around that if necessary with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] help.

Reasons for switching to Hemlane

I felt I needed to bee an accountant in order to use it. Support started off okay but soon dwindled to almost nothing.

Ross

Hemlane is Great

As a multi family residential property management company Hemlane was the best in terms of features, price and functionality. The software is very easy to use and customer support was really helpful with implementation. I highly recommend for anyone in need of automation!

Pros

Online payments and online maintenance features are essential.

Cons

I wish you could target specific sites when advertising listings. Right now the software mass advertises vacancies.

Reasons for choosing Hemlane

Price, service. Breeze and the other products we investigated had too many features that we wouldn’t use or too little. We wanted a very straight forward software and Hemlane had it.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Ross for your review and look forward to supporting you in 2021!

Replied February 2021

Debbie

Superior software and support at a very reasonable price

My initial communication with Hemlane was with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] a Hemlane support representative who instantly impressed me with his knowledge of the Hemlane software and property management in general. Not only was he extremely helpful in answering my questions, but he also took the initiative to input my property information in order to get me up and running as quickly as possible. He continued to follow up with me until all my questions were answered and I was able to navigate the platform on my own, which did not take long. He is a valuable asset to Hemlane and I very much enjoy working with him.

Pros

1. See pertinent information about properties/tenants at a glance 2. Keeps track of financials and maintenance in real time 3. Emails updates on financials and tenant communication 4. Assists with marketing of properties 5. Relatively easy to navigate 6. Support services are awesome! Both human and web-based.

Cons

1. Extra charge for marketing rentals to some popular websites

Reasons for choosing Hemlane

I did compare several other programs that were geared towards smaller investors. I felt that Hemlane was the best value for the money and I have never looked back.

Reasons for switching to Hemlane

I felt like a small number in Buildium's large customer base, and their minimum monthly fee was relatively high considering the number of units I own. Their customer base is geared towards large property management companies. They also do not assist with maintenance issues- Hemlane does.

Jessica

Great value and customer support for small business owner

We did extensive research when choosing on online platform for the management of our properties. Hemlane was one of the only platforms that we felt truly protected on, as landlords who are conscious about legal concerns around allowing online payments. But we also greatly appreciate that the software is easy to use for our tenants, and so far, they really appreciate the functionality of it! It’s made communication and processes so much more seamless!

Pros

Being able to provide my tenants with a secure platform for online payments and communication has made our operations so much more seamless! The customer service has been exceptional, and there are so many other features we are still learning, ad have yet to implement. What a great value for our money as a small business!

Cons

The financial features are still basic, but I appreciate their compatibility with QuickBooks and other software.

Reasons for choosing Hemlane

Hemlane protects Owner-Manager interests much better than the alternatives, by disallowing partial payments.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Jessica! And, we look forward to improving the financials for you!

Replied December 2019

Ted

Powerful and easy to use

Pros

I just switched over to Hemlane from AppFolio and what a difference. Even though AppFolio is the bigger company, it’s buggy, and complicated to use. Hemlane is a breath of fresh air and the user experience is much better. I’ve had several great experiences with the customer service team and they were always available to answer question a. Highly recommend and only wish I switched earlier.

Cons

Small feature requests and need to be a bit more clear when selecting options in settings.

Reasons for switching to Hemlane

Wanted a better user and customer support experience

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Ted for the kind review, and we can't wait to get all of those UI/UX changes in for you!

Replied February 2021

Katherine

Dante Property Review

Pros

Dedicated assistant to ease user into using the platform & easy to read financial reports.

Cons

Notification symbols for new or prospective tenants didn’t time out or disappear after reviewing the notification- it lingered for about 24hrs creating some confusion as to whether that notification had been viewed at all, especially when a property is in high demand.

Reasons for choosing Hemlane

Cost, demo video (preview of financial reports), free trial and ability to handle some maintenance through the page.

Danny

Great product for partial self-management on remote properties.

I own 21 properties, 30 doors. We experimented with 2 properties in Florida (I live in Utah) and we were very impressed at how well it worked. We have recently moved 2 more remote properties from Illinois and 2 from Tennessee. We would move all our Florida properties over if Hemlane had a larger footprint in Florida. I also use their "simple" option for my local properties now which allows me to use there financial tools to collect rent and manage tenant needs w/o their local network of agents and full maintenance service. It is a good tool for those that want to reduce program management cost and be a little more involved with the program management itself w/o being overwhelmed.

Pros

- Allows me to cut property management costs significantly while still having 3rd party property management tools at my disposal. - Allows me the flexibility to choose how involved I want to be in the management process. - Provides excellent financial tools and workflows to collect rent, handle late fees and pay team professionals online. All of which is automated. - Fully handles maintenance requests from tenants where I have full visibility and can interact as needed. - Handles tenant emergency calls. - Provides a local network of quality leasing agents that I can work with on property turns. Has excellent advertisement workflows and capabilities. Just had my first turn under hemlane and it was excellent. - The dashboard view and financial ledger are real time and easier to understand then monthly text reports from full property managers. - Product keeps improving.

Cons

- Some tenants had issues setting up automatic payments early on. - Doesn't have a way to group properties.

Response from Hemlane

Thank you, Danny, for your review! We sincerely appreciate it and look forward to continuing to work with you and expand our local agent partnerships to more regions for you.

Replied May 2019

B.J.

Hemlane review

What sticks out the most about Hemlane is the customer support. I've had a customer advocate from trial until after implementation. He's been a huge help, reliable and a valuable resource.

Pros

Hemlane is relatively intuitive, easy to use and has all the supported features I need out of property management software. The financials page gives a very good snapshot of all rent and payments outstanding. Invoicing tenants is also very easy to do.

Cons

Not sure if this is a function of the software, but it takes a minimum of three business days for rent monies to be deposited into my bank account. Do not like that delay.

Buildium

Cost.

VerticalRent

Reasons for switching to Hemlane

VerticalRent went out of business.

My Experience with Hemlane

I wanted to automate my rental management somewhat to improve efficiencies and have the ability to onboard clients easier, automate the application and marketing processes, as well as warehousing the information and documentation in the cloud for remote access. I accomplished all those goals. It's relatively easy to learn and has good functionality. Mu experience was very good.

Pros

Cost was fair, complexity was understandable and not overwhelming for my application, it provides the desired detail and organization to assist me in managing a small portfolio of personally owned rentals. I am not using all the features yet, but I particularly like the ability to market properties from the software. It compared well in terms of cost - benefit to other products on the market.

Cons

I would like the ability to customize expense categories further for the property cash flow component, but I'm still learning and have found suitable workarounds as my knowledge of the software improves. It would be helpful if expense categories matched those on a schedule E tax form. The online application information requirements (for applicant's) is a tad weak and abbreviated, more required detail here would be helpful.

Buildium and AppFolio Property Manager

Reasons for choosing Hemlane

Cost, simplicity, applicability to my needs, very responsive customer support with direct line to assistance.

Ini

I could not have kept costs down and realized additional revenue without Hemlane!

Pros

I've owned an investment property for a number of years but I recently sold it to get into a better market closer to my home. I decided to manage the property myself. There were a few tips I picked up over the years from PM companies, but it's nothing like managing it yourself. The support staff did a one-time introductory tour of the product and I was off and running. The product is amazing! I was able to create the listing easily and seamlessly. With an intuitive UI I was able to filter and managed interested candidates. Hemlane also set up the showing information, which was incredibly helpful. I don't want to understate this feature. Our property was incredibly popular and there is no way we could have handled this process if it was not for Hemlane.   Once candidates uploaded their information, we submitted it for credit checks and received the report back in 24 hours. Crafting the lease agreement was seamless as well. They easily signed it and now all the lease documents are in a central location that is easily accessible with the click of a button.  The ongoing management is automated. Tenants pay through the system and if a tenant is late, Hemlane sends automated reminders. Also tenants can communicate with you through the system, which keeps your relationships professional with high tough service. I could not have kept costs down and realized additional cash without Hemlane!

Peyton

Hemlane Review

Overall, Hemlane has given tenants more options for paying rent, people are able to put down a security deposit from out of town (military typically), and people are seeing our advertisements from so many different platforms. It has also helped us keep track of rent better and has given us an easier way for tenants to put in workorders.

Pros

I really like the ability to put available apartments up on so many advertising plat forms with the ease of pushing the "advertise" button. We are able to easily get a large number eligible of applicants within a couple days, and usually the units are rented out within a week or so. I also love how easy it is to message all tenants in a mass message - or even just message one tenant really fast. This has been great with maintenance and workorders.

Cons

Some of the financial stuff was hard to figure out and can still be difficult. Reconciling the hemlane payments to the bank and into QuickBooks gets hard sometimes. It would be nice if there was a way it would all link so I wouldn't have to search each payment reference number.

Reasons for choosing Hemlane

The other products were more expensive and hemlane seemed like the better, more affordable option.

Julian

The Best Property Management Software For Real-Estate Investors and Entrepreneurs

Hemlane is a wonderful tech enabled property management solution for real-estate investors looking for a cloud based and client centric partner that allows them to streamline their operations, cut costs, and interface with tenants and vendors in a time efficient manner. Hemlane's software is intuitive and brings traditionally cumbersome and time consuming property management processes such as rent collection, vendor coordination and payment, and leasing in to a time efficient and seamless system enabled by a superior technology backed by a professional and responsive staff. Whether you are a small real-estate investor looking to self-manage passive income generating properties, or are a full time real-estate professional with an existing full service property management staff and large portfolio, Hemlane can help modernize and professionalize your property management processes.

Pros

Hemlane is intuitive, client centric, and I like that it is developed first for a cloud and mobile environment.

Cons

I only hope that Hemlane keeps adding features I reccommend--they have been very receptive to client feedback, and work to incorporate both design and functional changes as they make iterative improvements to their platform, and build out the technology's capabilities.

Steven

Best decision I have made since starting my own property management company this year!

Pros

Hemlane is the best kept secret in the property management software industry! I started my own property management company this year, and was shocked by what the larger property management software companies were asking on a monthly basis. Most of them stopped talking to me because I didn't have 500 properties on my hands. Hemlane allows me to set my own showing schedule, confirms showings automatically so I'm not wasting my valuable time, produces a totally seamless online application in screening process, allows me to simply transfer applicants into tenants with the push of a button, I can send and receive funds electronically from landlords / tenants / vendors without surcharges, and much more. Any other issues I've had with setting up my company through Hemlane has been resolved by rep within a matter of minutes. I could not recommend this company enough, especially if you're thinking about starting your own property management company.**** I have worked for large property management companies in the past that used some of the big-name software companies, and I know that the value cannot be beat****

Cons

I wish that the 1099 feature came standard with the service. I have not had the software for more than a year, so in all fairness, I am assuming that all of my financial transactions on Hemlane will easily transfer to QuickBooks. I have not been disappointed By REP and her team yet!

Jenny

I like Hemlane

It's been a good experience overall.

Pros

The main features I use are the rent payment options and maintenance requests. I have really only used it for rent payments/income and electronic payment management, plus maintenance requests. It's helped me keep track of rent payments, it's also been greatly accepted by the tenants who really prefer to set up automatic electronic payments for their rent. It's also nice to have tenants contact me via Hemlane.com for maintenance/repair issues. It's much easier to track items that need addressing and it's less stressful to be contacted in that way.

Cons

I don't have any major complaints currently, definitely happy with it overall.

AppFolio Property Manager

Reasons for choosing Hemlane

The other products I was looking at had a higher minimum number of units (different payment structure too). The others were also built/focused on much larger property management operations.

Cindy

Hemlane experience

Good. Hemlane has satisfied the following needs I want in my day to day operating business as a property manager - marketing, leasing, rent collection and maintenance request

Pros

Software is available on both desktop and mobile devices with same functionality. Ease of usage and good value for the top priority functionalities that I need the most using a property management software for small size property owners. This includes marketing, leasing, rent collection and maintenance request management. I have not fully experienced the leasing interfacing aspect with clients so I am looking to explore the leasing capability.

Cons

When an operation fails to perform, it simply prompt an error message. I would like the software provides more assistance to user by giving them more information what triggers the error message and how one can fix it themselves. I have been reaching out to support for assistance each time this takes places. I am amazed the responsiveness I received from support team so far. But I can foresee this support model will not last as more users using the software. Sometimes, it can be due to lag time for the information to commit at the backend database that triggered the operation error. The reason why I said that is I received response from support team letting me know they are not sure why I will receive an error but they were able to complete the operation without the error.

A huge step forward for managing rental properties

I've owned and managed a group of five out-of-state rental properties for over 10 years. In that time, I've used a variety of systems and professional management companies in my effort to streamline operations. I switched to Hemlane a couple years ago, and these last two years have been, by far, the smoothest -- both operationally and financially. The combination of well-designed software with the on-the-ground Hemlane maintenance team is exactly what I needed. I'm able to configure everything the way I need it. The value of the service is excellent.

Pros

This is almost exactly the software and system I would design for my own needs. It's very easy to get going, but it's also highly configurable. The support team is excellent.

Cons

Aside from a few UI tweaks I'd like to see, it would be great to have the accounting side of things integrate directly with my bank, such that Hemlane can double as my accounting solution. Apparently, this is in the works!

Taylor

Could Not Be Happier!

Being completely new to the real estate / property management world, I had lots of questions...but because of how easy Hemlane is to navigate, it has really helped me learn everything I need to know! In addition to making things more streamlined for

Pros

Ease of use, customer support team, organization of software

Cons

No major issues! Just a few hiccups as this is a relatively new system...specifically with work orders, since we pay them on the same date every month, it is difficult to see at a glance which orders have been completed. It would be nice to have some kind of visible notification on each work order to show new messages, invoices added, date completed, etc. Overall, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been more than helpful with any questions!

Reasons for switching to Hemlane

Financially this system made much more sense! And for the direct customer support we get, we wouldn't change a thing!

Response from Hemlane

Thanks, Taylor. We enjoyed helping you set up split rent payments and other features over the past weeks.

Replied September 2020

Lev

I love Hemlane

Pros

I like how I can handle every aspect of my property management business within Hemlane. From marketing and showing my listings, to applications, to collecting deposits and rent, to handling maintenance requests, Hemlane seamlessly manages all of these tasks and more.

Cons

No cons that I can think of. I wish I knew about Hemlane when I first got started in property management.

Reasons for switching to Hemlane

Hemlane is easier to use for me.

Mike

User friendly and highly efficient

Hemlane is so user friendly it significantly cuts down on the time I used to spend and now I can spend more time growing the business.

Pros

I love how simple it is to use. Our tenants and owners love it as well. Excellent software!

Cons

The only con was during the transition, getting all our owners onboard. Some of them are not techy and resisted change. However, Hemlane support was tremendously helpful and make the process much better.

Reasons for switching to Hemlane

We transitioned from a "Big Box" software company that had every feature you could imagine, but the problem was it was so complex to use that it was useless.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Mike for your review and the Hemlane team looks forward to providing support to you and your rentals!

Replied November 2019

Peter

Leasing Specialty

Excellent, the customer service has been outstanding. Also the ease of operation is great. A software these days shouldn't take weeks to master, and Hemlane is very easy to use and I feel I understand how to do things without calling or needing outside help.

Pros

The ease of use, the functions are all really easy and user friendly.

Cons

The time it takes for payments to go through. Electronically should be faster than a check. If the tenants deposit a check it will take maximum7 days to fully clear their bank. If their hemlane electronic first payment takes up to 10 days to verify it is a deterrent for them to sign up for the maintenance program.

Response from Hemlane

Thank you Peter for your kind review! We sincerely appreciate you taking time to write about our services. We enjoy working with you and look forward to continuing to enhance our features for you (especially the faster payout for rent)!

Replied May 2019

Hemlane - Yes, You Can Manage Your Properties

Very strong experience. I didn't think I could effectively manage my units electronically and had been with property management for several years. As it turns out, I'm disappointed in the quality of PM in the industry and I (using Hemlane) can do a much better job.

Pros

Very easy to use and tenants love it. The software options are intuitive and, in case of issues, the customer support is very professional and prompt.

Cons

I haven't found anything egregious - sometimes maintenance response can be a bit slow but that's usually because they're trying to coordinate between myself, the tenant, and the repair organization.

Hemlane