What are Stessa users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Stessa software through verified user reviews

• icon"This free software from Stessa works wonderfully for tracking expenses. When I had an issue, it was resolved immediately so customer service is top notch as well."
  • icon"I love the ease of use and ability to connect to my business checking account as well as my business credit card."
  • icon"Ease of use, integration with current banking systems, and focus on real estate investors."
  • icon"It makes me a little bit nervous connecting my financial institutions to the website in light of all the hacking going on these days."
  • icon"New product that is still missing some features. Have to jump through some hoops to account for sold properties."
  • icon"There are no options for assigning HOA fees in the “money going out” category. I lump them under the Management fees section."

Browse all Stessa Reviews

• Have you used Stessa and would like to share your experience with others?

Rick

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Stessa is Quicken for Real Estate

Eric

Stessa is a game changer for the independent rental owner.

Pros

Stessa offers the most intuitive, purpose-built rental property financial software that I’ve come across. Far too many colleagues of mine are still either using overly complicated general accounting software, or worse, tracking everything manually in Excel. Stessa not only allows me to automate the majority of my bookkeeping, but the real time reporting functionality allows me to monitor the performance of my assets and catch anamolys much quicker. While other property management software may offer expense tracking or basic accounting features, Stessa’s exclusive focus on the financial aspect of rental property ownership allows them to offer a far more robust feature set and innovate at a faster clip.

Cons

As a single-entry accounting system, it comes with all the drawbacks associated with that method of accounting (no cross-checking, greater potential for error, no tracking of real accounts, etc.). This was an intentional design decision, however, as this software is geared to be more user friendly for the average rental owner. While it lacks the sophistication of a double-entry system, Stessa has come up with innovative ways to simulate certain aspects of a double-entry system through features like a derived Balance Sheet report using user provided asset values and debt information.

Nick

Fantastic Software

I think this is the best thing out there. Everything about Stessa is top notch from the product itself to the customer service.

Pros

Its easy to use, their is no guess work. I like the banking integration, tenant ledgers, general ledger, balance sheet, income statement, cash flow and every other report you could need. The best part for me is the year end package it generates for my tax guy.

Cons

I'd like to see the ability to update the RE Tax PIN number. Although customer service is excellent and will make any updates you need quickly.

Reasons for switching to Stessa

Excel is great but its very cumbersome. You never know where you actually stand with your property.

Nancy

Nope. Not gonna do it.

See above

Pros

None- I never got that far. Maybe it's good, but I won't give out sensitive into to a stranger

Cons

As a landlord with multiple properties, I thought this might be a handy tool, so I began the sign up process. Until they asked for my banking info. What?? What do they need that for? Not happening. I'm out.

Response from Stessa

Hi Nancy - Linking a bank account to Stessa is safe and completely optional, and this is clearly explained during the sign up process. While secure bank connections are the most seamless way to automatically track rental property income and expenses, Stessa also allows users to create transactions manually or via data file uploads. For users who do choose to link accounts, Stessa uses technology similar to sites such as Mint and Personal Capital to link up with thousands of US based banks and credit unions. In any event, we're sorry to hear that Stessa isn't for you and wish you luck finding an alternative that meets your needs.

Replied January 2019

Rocky

March 2022

Pros

Stessa is easy to use and keeps me organized. At tax time I am not scrambling to get information to my accountant.

Cons

No cons, I love this software and it allow me to focus on my business

Really helpful for portfolio analysis and organization

This has helped me categorize and organize without me having to "reinvent the wheel" trying to set up a spreadsheet in line with the tax code.

Pros

This software takes all the input and then collates it and calculates it giving you an analysis of individual properties as well as the portfolio in general. It helps me as a newer investor to categorize my transactions which I suspect will be very helpful when it comes to tax season. I like the mileage tab as well as I was bad about recording my mileage and this tab serves as a reminder for me. I'm very excited to see how helpful and effective the software is when it comes to tax time!

Cons

So far I have no complaints at all about this software.

Reasons for choosing Stessa

I have used both Stessa and Quicken for comparison for the last 6 months. I'll be dropping my Quicken subscription when the time for renewal comes. Stessa is more intuitive, easier and convenient

Easy to use and fantastic customer service!

Stessa helped me keep track of the accounting side of our real estate so we can easily give all the information to our accountant at the end of the year. It also makes it possible to quickly see a snapshot of our portfolio performance - no more waiting until the end of the year to see how we did!

Pros

Stessa makes it easy to look at the performance of my real estate portfolio.No more manual math in Excel for me!

Cons

Nada. They continue to update and improve the functionality!

Reasons for switching to Stessa

Mint is not intended for real estate and was always clunky and lacked much-needed features for a real estate investor.

Todd

Amazing App For New Real Estate Investors

This has really helped me start organized as I start up our real estate investing portfolio.

Pros

Cons

Inability to do split transactions and didn’t know how to pull reports until recently.

Reasons for choosing Stessa

It was real estate specific so way easier to categorize expenses and income.

Ritchie

Love this site

Pros

This site has really helped me manage my rental properties much more easily and efficiently.... all of my accounting and info about interest rates/insurance/etc are all easily accessible in one spot. And their reports make it all easy to quickly review. Also great for doing my taxes.

Cons

Doesn't yet integrate with enough small banks, so I have to manually upload my transactions ever month via Excel.

Reasons for switching to Stessa

Stessa is way better for rental property management... exactly the sort of software I had been looking for

April 2022

Best Real Estate tax prep program

The total package has made my life much simpler.

Pros

After years of struggling to keep my RE tax prep files in order, STESSA did in just a few months that other programs could not do in 10 years! It’s the complete package without the complexities!! Mark

Cons

No issues..each feature especially the tax prep package is invaluable!

Reasons for switching to Stessa

Quicken was extremely difficult to learn & took too much of my time.

June

April 2022

Excellent Software and App

Easy and less time consuming than any I've tried yet. Also, when you ask a question, you get a quick answer from someone who has developed the software. Great customer support.

Pros

It is so easy to use. I tried many others and deleted them all within hours. Been using Stessa now for a few weeks. Like the ease of downloading transactions automatically, like the reports and it's very easy to back up. Also the ease of downloading receipts is a big help.

Cons

I would like to be able to back up the receipts too when backing up the transactions.

Reasons for choosing Stessa

Quickbooks is too bogged down and takes too long to master. All other Real Estate software seemed too intricate and difficult to master as well.

Stephen

Perfect for Rental Owners

My accountant loves it and it saves me hours of manual entry. As an added bonus, I have critical information in real time that can help me make good decisions for the future. Haven't really even scratched the surface on this part but it's all there.

Pros

I have used QuickBooks for years but got tired of the barrage of come-ons and sticky marketing techniques they use on customers. It seemed every time I opened the program, there would be new hoops to jump through if I wanted to do any actual work. Stessa is designed from the ground up for rental property owners. You enter income and expense items, that's it. All items fall under one of the carefully considered categories they provide. Multiple locations and units are also accounted for. You can add or sell buildings, add or replace tenants, run targeted reports including exporting the year end to your accountant and graphically view your performance which is generated by your data. Even more powerful, you can auto import entries from bank account, credit accounts, whatever. Once you're up and running, all your data is entered for you to edit or delete as needed. Saves a ton of time. Oh, did I mention it's free??? Don't know what the long range plan is, but this software won't cost you a dime. It makes QB look tired and cumbersome, not to mention annoying, which it really has become over the years.

Cons

This is not a property management platform in the sense that you can schedule maintenance and track hours. However, you can capture and import invoices so your records are all in one place.

Zachary

Game Changer

The product is consistently getting better and more robust. The creators listen to feedback and implement new features all the time. Loving it!

Pros

It is easy to set up and use. Very user friendly.

Cons

Issues with data sources disconnecting.

Reasons for choosing Stessa

Endorsed by Bigger Pockets and bought by JLL so seemed credible. Free for small owner like myself. Tailored for real estate investors, by real estate investors!

Reasons for switching to Stessa

I found quickbooks to be cumbersome.

Benjamin

I purchased a group of 8 properties as my first investment deal. One loan, one insurance bill, multiple taxes in escrow complicated the property setup and accounting. This was easy to address with the software and when I asked for help on the "help me" message board, I got a complete, useful answer the next day. A few more questions and support called me "to chat" and were happy to do a WebEx type session to see what I was doing and offered tools and techniques that were very helpful. It was not long that I was doing all of the imports, and reporting on my own and felt confident that I was doing it right (or at least not wrong).

Pros

There is nothing to install as it is in the cloud. Setup the first few properties was a easy and quick. Back filling data was relatively easy and they could pull data from my bank even with two factor authentication, and could get the data from my property managers software which is little more than a zip file with receipts and PDF owner report.

Cons

I found that I have some duplicate items from different data sources that I set aside in a "For Audit" bucket (like a company entity). So while this gets ignored by the real company buckets it is included in the 'all companies reports".

Reasons for choosing Stessa

It was easy to add data and update. Mistakes were easy to 'correct' and I had confidence that I could recover from doing something stupid reasonably easily. I got from data entry to actionable intelligence in two sessions. (total of about 6 hours). I had sketched out the 'perfect software' and all of the key features were included 'right out of the box', or cloud as it were.

Rick

Stessa is Quicken for Real Estate

I absolutely adore Stessa and tell everyone about it. I'm probably their biggest fan though I'm a small time investor. It is literally the single best accounting app I've ever used and better then working with a CPA or accountant. It's made my life significantly more simple around tax time and for that I am eternally grateful.

Pros

The auto import from my connected accounts including bank and credit card accounts. It also is the biggest help with my taxes that I could ever dream of. Every year I just print out the tax report for each property and my tax guy barely has to ask me any questions.

Cons

To be totally honest there is nothing I don't like. I will say I haven't tried their mobile app in over a year because it used to be pretty weak but I hear it's been updated and very nice now.

Patrick

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Two thumbs up for Stessa: What-gets-tracked-gets-improved made easy.

Awesome. Well worth the time inputting​ the data.

Pros

Ease of use: It works the way it should. Automation: Once set up, the transactions of the download from owner each owner portal (when you own several properties), and bank accounts. User experience is similar to mint.com. Visibility: it creates a consolidated dashboard for the portfolio, and derivative clean graphs, giving perspective and showing trends. Amazing Customer support: hats-off to the reps, who have answered 10+ "hard questions". I only ask "hard questions" since the FAQ is also excellent. - Insightful newsletter.

Cons

No Cons per se. Just two humble recommendations. Users of Stessa would benefit tremendously if it: - it offered a function for marketing the property (i.e. find tenants or buyers). Stessa being a repository of information (location, yr built, sq footage, pictures), a few clicks should allow spreading​ the good news throughout the specialized sites (Craigslist Zillow, Trulia, Redfin, local websites...) - kept historical records of the tenant roll. Currently, it only offers a picture at the present time.

Cami

A must have software program for Landlords

Overall, I can not imagine my life without Stessa now. My partner and I currently have 9 rental properties with a goal to grow to 15 properties in the next year.

Pros

Stessa software is the easiest program to manage my rental properties I love that once I set up a property profile and connect my bank account that manages that specific property, Stessa automatically uploads my transactions and sends me a notice to review transactions. Then monthly I get an update about whether I had positive cash flow. I love this program and can easily move between seeing all of my properties collectively or individually if I need to drill down even deeper. This program is a no brainer for anyone owning or managing multiple properties.

Cons

This was a little confusing setting up the initial property details, but once I got used to where things were in the program and how to add the information it was alot more friendly for me.

Janea

Perfect for Investors just getting started

I just bought my second property. I’ve been tracking transactions on my first property for about a year and half now with Stessa. I’m in the process of setting up my second investment property now. It’s super easy for a beginner. The last thing I need to be worrying about is how to navigate accounting software. I need one place to store and track all the transactions on my real estate property. I know I can access them anytime and run a quick report for my accountant at the end of the year. It’s su0per easy to use this platform as a way to analyze whether or not a property is profitable by running a quick report. Looking forward to growing with Stessa as I add more properties to my portfolio!

Pros

This is super easy to use and set up. The software walks you through property set up one question at a time. You don’t have to know a lot about accounting or accounting software, but it is evident the software is setting up a structure for you to monitor and track the transactions of your real estate investment(s) and be able to pull financial reports at the end of the year for your accountant. I use it once a month. It takes me less than 5 minutes to enter the transactions and I’m done!

Cons

There are no options for assigning HOA fees in the “money going out” category. I lump them under the Management fees section. It would be nice to be able to categorize HOA fees in their own world.

Josh

Great Mobile Management for all Real Estate

It’s the first platform I’ve used that I have been able to use as a one stop shop for everything for our portfolio. We can manage our vacancies and tenancies, as well as our finances. It’s been great. Thanks [SENSITIVE CONTENT] and the Stessa team!

Pros

This app is amazing. It’s the first platform that has allowed me to manage our entire portfolio directly from my phone if I want to. I can track all expenses and directly import from the bank, and assign to each property and even a specific unit.

Cons

I wish the transaction importing would occur in real time directly, versus having to log in and refresh the transactions.

Jose

Incredible product for managing my rental properties

This is the ultimate tool for managing my rental properties. It allows me to see the performance of my overall portfolio and individual properties. Its also a must come tax season.

Pros

Love the ability to track all of my transactions associated with each property in my portfolio. They also have some great little features like splitting a transaction into the appropriate categories, such as mortgage payments being split into the principal, interest, and escrow, etc. New reporting packages are a great addition.

Cons

Would love to see the ability to copy transactions or have an autofill function (like google search) for common transactions. Could also use some tweaking for comparing long-term vs short-term rental properties on the main dashboards.

KENDRICK

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Just what the doctor ordered. No-one is doing this!

My overall experience with Stessa has been great. There is nothing like this anywhere that focuses on Real Estate Investors. This is definitely an untouched niche. I have already shared with my real estate investor associates.

Pros

1. Having everything update directly from the source saves me alot of time. I previously spent countless hours updating spreadsheets. Now I have time to drill down on property managers, analyze expenses and make decisions. 2. Can provide key performance indicators used to provide a high-level overview of the state of the business

Cons

1. Investors are not starting from scratch. Need a way to input previous year's earnings. 2. This is more gear to cash-flow. Would like to show the effects of flippers.

Jonathan

This software made us grow our business

This software has changed my business. I have started 5 other business with it and they all love it. Best thing I have ever used. It has been a year that we have been using it and it still blows my mind every time we use it.

Pros

I love how all our property and tenant data is located in one place for all the team to see. It keeps track of our money in and out and lets us know what we are spending on each property. Helps us as armature's understand real estate a lot better since we can always see the numbers

Cons

I wish the reporting could be customizable and the only reason I say this is because I would like more simple reports.

Reasons for switching to Stessa

Stessa was made for property management Quick books was not.

Lucas

Makes my life so much easier!

Pros

The easy expense and income tracking and that it's linked directly to our bank accounts.

Cons

Mileage and depreciation tracking would be nice but not necessary. CPA's do that.

Response from Stessa

Thank you so much Lucas! We do offer mileage tracking and one-click reports to make depreciation easy for your CPA; feel free to reach out to Support for help with this.

Replied February 2021

William

Property Management Software

Holistic view of the property valuation and cash flow. Tracking expenses and providing required profit and loss for accounting.

Pros

Quick and ease setup. Interface is designed for property managers - provides accounting and bookkeeping using the terms familiar to property managers and owners. Easy to track the expenses and capture everything for expense allocation and audits.

Cons

A few additional features requested: - historical view of the property instead of just point in time - enable leveraging for audits if needed - enable capturing receipt before the transaction comes through the CC to Stessa - store the image until matching available - integration w/ OWA from RentManager

Nicholas

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Great service that continues to improve

Fantastic! They have been responsive and very helpful with every question I've had. Highly recommend to everyone!

Pros

Easily track and update my rental portfolio. They help me track expenses and made tax time a breeze

Stessa