Feature Ratings Breakdown

Funtionality

• Pros

• "User-friendly, increased production, the best accounting by far, overall better than other similar software"

• "This program is very user friendly and makes it easy to keep track of tenants information. "

• "It is easy to read and understand for me and the owners"

• "This covers most every aspect of my need for Rental management software. It gives me up to the minute info on where I am at."

• Cons

• "So far I don;t have any complaints about Tenant File features."

• "As an accountant, I think the accounting feature lacks some depth and clear instructions on how to generate certain reports."

• "I don't have any negative things to say about it."

• "need popup menus and retention of data on screen"

Filter reviews by:

Sort by: Most Helpful | Most Recent

Showing 1-20 of 40 reviews

Do you use this product?Write a review

Dawne from Action Real Estate

Tenant File just works!

It's fast, accurate, simple and it works! I recommend it to many people and have for years.

Pros

It's complex in the simplest form. Works for all the properties I manage. At a glance I can see what's going on with a tenant, unit or owner ledger. Reports are great, emails are awesome and it works. Customer service is as expected, great! With so many online scams and problems, I like that this is computer based and my owner's and tenant's information is protected. I have used this software for many many years and will continue to do so.

Cons

Basically I love the software. There are things I think of that I would like to tweek. I have been on a team that helps develop some upgrades in the past and I would like to continue to work with Tenant File to upgrade the software in the future. I would like to see a better price for direct deposit since I am a small Property Management Company. It would be nice to offer this to my owners and vendors. If there are things I don't care for I would guess it's because I haven't asked customer service how to do them, and that's on me, not them.

Response from W G Software of

Replied December 2018

Thank you so much for the excellent review! We appreciate your use of the Tenant File and will continue trying to make it better! We understand that the costs of ACH processing have increased industry-wide, something we do not have control over. Our ACH transaction fee is lower than most, and is the same cost whether they manage 1,000 rental units or 10. Most companies penalize the smaller users by charging 2 or 3 times what we charge! The ACH processing is now available to pay your owners and vendors as well. Thanks again for the favorable review of the Tenant File Property Management Software! Our website is: http://tenantfile.com.

Cliff from Century 21 Sunshine Realty

Sunshine Property Management

We have been using Tenant now for the last fifteen years and it has been working for us. As the owner I have tolerated Tenant file over the years because it has been working for us and I have been to busy to look at other applications. Recently I have been looking at a couple of online applications which allows for more automation and I may be changing over next year depending upon my time constraints

Pros

I like the work order feature and the ability to stay up with the work orders.

Cons

I dislike two things the most. One is the reports, they are not informative and it is difficult to to get meaning full information. I find it difficult to get a report on just one property and to get the history along with it. The general ledger reports are difficult to understand. It is to easy to get out of balance.

Response from W G Software of

Replied December 2018

Thank you for the review. The Tenant File has over 150 reports, and all financial reports support any date range, so they do indeed include all history depending on the date range that you choose. There are a large number of property reports that can be run for just one property. These include the Property Cash Flow (detail and summary), Property Income / Expense Listing, Property Month-To-Date/Year-To-Date, Property Statement, and Property Transaction report. There are others as well. The formats are common and very readable. The Tenant File has over 5,000 landlords and property managers that use our software to run their business each day. We are very proud that it is easy to use, yet still includes powerful features and reporting not found in other programs costing many times the price. Our technical support is the best in the industry. We provide free phone support for 2 months to get started and free personalized web support after that. No other product compares to that!

Roy from Chapman's

Simplifies my Life

This software is not expensive and that was the first thing that attracted Tenant File to me. When I am up to date with all the necessary entries, go to reports and print them out, and take to the CPA, Tell him (or her) to call you when you are done. It truly has simplified my life. I can determine where we are spending too much money and where we may need to spend more. We can now track tenants like never before, and keep info about them for reference after they have moved. This has been our most beneficial investment ever.

Pros

Cons

I would like to have expenses on one file by themselves without income listed also. This may be available, but, I'm an old guy (probably Ancient) and haven't figured that out yet.
A list of tenants that are delinquent and what amount would be nice. Don't need to clutter it up with other info. Just name , amount owed, and maybe address.

Response from W G Software of

Replied December 2018

Thank you so much for the positive review! We really appreciate it! There are a number of reports to list delinquent tenants in the current Tenant File version 8. There's a report called 'Tenant Delinquency' or your can simply run a 'Tenant Listing' which shows tenant balances plus their contact information. There are a number of other reports such as the Tenant Rent Payment Summary and Tenant Outstanding Balances, plus you can simply create your own report in the User Defined Reports section. If you need more suggestions just contact support at https://www.tenantfile.com/support.html. Thank you for being a Tenant File customer and for taking the time to review it!

Miranda from Dana Horne Realty

Excellent Program, Simple Once You Learn, Some Caveats

I have been using TenantFile in conjunction with other supplemental programs at the majority of the property management companies I have worked for. We work with short term, vacation and long term rentals so we usually are using 2-3 programs at a time, and TenantFile is definitely always one of them. They say they can accommodate vacation rentals, which it can, but we need to use a side program with more bells and whistles on the side. It's a good program, not my favorite, but it's up there.

Pros

TenantFile is simple and efficient once you learn it. It's a stand alone program so you pay for it once, then you don't pay any monthly fees unless you want the additional features. 1099 time is super simple (keep your info accurate). And you only pay to upgrade the program. Support is quick and for the most part, thorough.

Cons

Lots of small things to learn. You need to be very careful moving future tenants into a current address, the beginning balances will be overridden. It can make reporting a mess if you don't keep a watchful eye. The program has these little annoying quirks, example, it likes to just quit, then it causes these little artifacts to show up in the bank register. It loves to quit during a money transfer for some reason, it's been happening for years. If the program quits during a transfer, only half the transfer is shown and you need to go in and delete it, then re-transfer. It usually doesn't glitch the second time.

Jayne Ellen from Vintage Properties

I used TENANT File for over 13 Year

I chose TENANT File because it looks easy to use. It gives me all the info I need and is easy for owners to read. There are a few breakdowns I wish it could do, but overall it a very good system.

Pros

It is easy to read and understand for me and the owners

Cons

I can't run a report on how many owners I have, or their phone numbers, without printing out every single unit under their name. I need to print an easy list of owner names and phone number to take home or on vacations. I don't need a novel to carry around

Response from W G Software of

Replied January 2017

Thank you Jayne Ellen for your good review! We appreciate you very much as a long time customer! First, for an overall view of the number of owners, properties, tenants, and overall system-wide balances, there is the 'General > Statistics' report that provides that. Secondly, to get a list of owner names and phone numbers, use the 'User Defined Report' which can print any info in the Tenant File on a single line (up to 8 choices). It sorts by the first 3 items selected, so just choose 'Owner Last Name', 'Owner First Name', and 'Phone' (it stores up to 4 phone numbers for every owner, tenant and vendor). This is exactly what you want. BTW, we haven't had support service contracts for years. All of the paid phone support calls are on a pay-as-you-need basis, and our web support is entirely free for any question you have!

Richard from Tall Oaks MHP

Tall Oaks MHP

Overall the program is great, I would like the system better if the tech support was more forthcoming. Because of the limits placed on us by the limit on tech support many problems have to be worked out by the individual.

Pros

It keep information at your finger tips, able to keep up with tenants.

Cons

We are unable to upload pictures of the individual mobile homes and there in no place to list the serial numbers of the mobile homes. There isn't a way to designate whether a unit is a weekly renter or monthly renter.

Response from W G Software of

Replied January 2019

Thank you for the nice review! and stars. We really appreciate feedback from our customers. I wanted to address the 'cons' statements, and assist you. The Tenant File allows UNLIMITED photos to be attached to each rental unit. All you have to do is click on the 'Features' button and you will see that. Additionally, you can attach documents, such as PDF and MS-Word documents. All new purchases get a free one-year subscription to RentalWIZ, which will upload your amenities and photos for your vacant rentals to your custom web page. It also syndicates to other sites such as Apartments.com at no charge. Lastly, the Tenant File does handle weekly renters as well as monthly. You can note that in numerous fields, such as the Unit ID, or the tenant note section (also if there is no due date, it would be non-monthly). Thanks again for being a Tenant File customer!

Roger from Forss Rental Properties

TENANT FILE REVIEW

The overall experience with tenant file has been positive. I would strongly recommend it. I have been using this program for many years.

Pros

Tenant file is easy to use, searching for tenants is easy because you can use the first name, second name or address. Adding late charges just takes the hit of a key. Easy to find reports are nicely organized to fit the desired need.

Cons

I wish ledger balances would print in red to make the credits and debits more easily distinguishable. I also wish that it was compatible with multiple users. Work orders could be easier to find.

Response from W G Software of

Replied December 2018

Thank you very much for the positive review! We work very hard to make the Tenant File easy to learn and use. Regarding the suggestions, we will pass those along to Programming. However, the Tenant File is currently compatible with multiple users. You can search for 'Networking' in the embedded User's Guide for info on setting up. We appreciate that you recommend the Tenant File to other users. They can find a list of Tenant File features at https://www.tenantfile.com/features.html. Thank you!

Frank from Pointe Property Management, LLC

Tenant File

Pros

There is a quick learning curve. The cost is inexpensive.

Cons

It is not cloud based and is difficult to sync.

Response from W G Software of

Replied December 2018

Thank you for the favorable review! We appreciate getting feedback from our customers. The only item that was not marked was the 'customer support', and I hope that was just an oversight. We pride ourselves on providing the best customer support in the industry. Every new customer has a full 2 months of free phone support when they purchase the program. (Free phone support is just not seen anymore with software programs). Additionally, we provide FREE web support during AND after the free phone support period. Our web support staff personally answers all support tickets, 90% of them within 2 hours. Additionally, we provide the entire 100+ page User Guide within the software program. It is searchable and has step-by-step instructions and screen shots. Lastly, we also provide helpful videos and training on our site (https://tenantfile.com) and on YouTube.com. The support team is knowledgeable and friendly. Thank you again for a good review of the Tenant File!

Doreen from DJM Realty

My Tenant File Experience

The program definitely helps me track tenants, improvements, and lease expirations. I have been using it to the became 1st available many years ago

Pros

Although I do not use all of his features those that I do use are easy to navigate. If I were perhaps a bit more computer savvy I could learn how to use the rest.

Cons

I have not come across a tutorial on how to use it

Response from W G Software of

Replied December 2018

Thank you so much for the great review! Regarding the tutorial, the entire User's Guide is built in to the software. Just click on Help > User Guide to access the searchable 100+ page PDF document. It has screen shots, how-to guides and much more. Additionally, there are a number of video tutorials on our website https://tenantfile.com and many additional ones on our YouTube.com channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLzY4NXUXrU5IeP5ig1LwLA. We do also offer paid personal training if you would like to order that. As you mentioned, the Tenant File is easy to use, but has many powerful advanced features if you need them. Thank you! Tenant File Staff

Whitney from Godfrey Property Management, Inc.

Pretty user-friendly with lots of report options available.

I researched several software options for property management and decided upon Tenant File a couple years back. Each year I've learned new things that I can use the software to do. It is a software that provides tons of different types of reporting options so that the various clients/users can see income/expenses/tenant info. in a report that they understand. I highly recommend to managers of income properties.

Pros

Lots of report options

Cons

When entering leases that are going to start at a later date in the year the user must be sure not to enter rent info. so that it's not paid to the owner before the lease begins. Then must delete the future lease info. when it rolls around after typing it over the previous tenant info. Seems like there could be a better way to enter future leases that are going to happen later in the year without having to take those steps.

Ten years with Tenant File

Pros

I have used Tenant file to manage our rental business for the past 10 years. The program is convenient, fairly easy for me to use - and I have no accounting background. It makes it easy to keep track of deposits and accounts and vendors. Easy report features. Good notice function. Easy deposits and rent postings. I manage 35 properties for 3 different owners and find Tenant File helps me keep all records in order.

Cons

The type can be small when entering data. I would like more colors to choose from. I would like to create a report for a tenant or property and individually select what is reported.

Response from W G Software of

Replied January 2019

Thank you SO MUCH for being a long-time Tenant File user! Also for the good review! There is a new update to be released soon that has enlarged type fonts throughout the program. Also all menu screens have been enlarged - just want you wanted! There are virtually unlimited colors to screen backgrounds, and 16 choices for the Main Menu. There are a lot of new reports for Owners and Tenants in the new version, so hopefully you will have a report that meets your needs. There are over 120 reports in the Tenant File! Thanks again for the review and for being a customer!

Vernon from Vernon Smithson

A Wonderful Easy to Use Program I've Had for Years

I'm a private property owner, not a manager, but I'm sure the Tenant File is fine for both. I've been using this product for about 8 years, and have stayed up with the new releases, which are inexpensive. Especially compared to the high monthly payments of web-base software, the Tenant File is very affordable. It is desktop based so I have control over everything. I have mastered it, but if I do have any questions, I can contact their web support and get an answer within hours. They have paid phone support after the free phone support runs out, but I haven't needed that.

Pros

Easy to learn and use, with good support and inexpensive updates.

Cons

I don't have any negative things to say about it.

Judy from RentUps

Powerhouse Property Management for a Reasonable Price

After pouring through reviews and comparisons of numerous property management programs, I finally settled on TenantFile for my small property management & leasing business. I've been using it since 2011 and it has suited my needs in every way. My clients are happy with the easy-to-understand reports and I have been happy with the easy file setups and customer service. I highly recommend this software to small property management business - it gives you exactly what you need to run a business without breaking the budget, and you own the software vs. a subscription rate which adds up to $$$$ over time. When you can't figure something out after reading the on-line "help" guide, you can easily get a live person to help figure things out at a reasonable rate.

Pros

Easy to use and reliable software at an affordable price.

Cons

Accounts were a bit tricky to set up in the beginning but easy now.

wayne from Wishart Management

Does everything i could want it to do

Excellent very happy with the software.

Pros

I have been using it for almost 30 years and i manage over a 150 units. it is well thought out very functional and at a fraction of what the competition charges.

Cons

It doesn't automatically calculate the tax on management. Probably a specifically Canadian problem.

Response from W G Software of

Replied February 2019

We thank you very much for the wonderful review! Good luck in the years to come!

Levi from Aflab Realtors AFLAB Group, LLC

This a very cost efective software to manage properties.

This is a good software and I will recommend it to any new property management company. I have been using for years and it has not disappointed me.

Pros

Cost and easy to work with when you understand it. It easy for owners to read their statements when you do not complicate things.

Cons

Not able to use from different locations. If it could be used online I believe most companies would start using it.

Linda from A Key Real Estate, Inc.

Versatile with errors

I inherited Tenant Files from a former property manager and I like it a lot. I do find some tasks hard to figure out, like removing an owner, or making them inactive. Ending the year in Tenant Files is also somewhat confusing.

Pros

The software has the ability to maintain all kinds of records and create all kinds of reports.

Cons

I only have one issue with Tenant Files, but it is a big one. It will randomly change owners' balance amounts. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I spend hours trying to figure out why. There is usually no answer. I also do not like that all financials can be changed anytime, for whatever reason, and there is no accountability as to who makes the changes. This is not a major problem as I am the only one who uses Tenant Files, but if something does change, a feature that shows who made the change would be helpful.

Response from W G Software of

Replied December 2018

Thank you for the nice comments! The program does not change values by itself, and we will always try to help the customer determine the real problem. In nearly all cases it is an incorrectly entered date, or a rental unit that was deleted with an existing balance. Users can always contact our free web support at https://www.tenantfile.com/support.html. Thank you!

dale from Res7, LLC

Don't Put Your Client Data At Risk

In today's internet age I can't trust my client data to the cloud so I keep it locally, on my computer. Tenant File security is the only security I trust. The software is easy to learn, has powerful reports and the structure of the programs allows one to control all aspects of a property management business.

Pros

local security
powerful reporting
convenient access to data

Cons

need popup menus and retention of data on screen

Joseph from JDR land holding company, LLC

Best software for the cost

Pros

The pricing in the ease-of-use of this software is amazing. You can literally put it on your computer and start using it the same day.

Cons

Nothing that I can put my finger on at this time, I have been a user of the software for years.

Response from W G Software of

Replied December 2018

Thank you so much for the excellent review! We truly appreciate that you are a long-time customer!

Marcus from Harlingen Homes

Works for my needs

I run a small management company as a part of my brokerage. The program does well for me, but has a couple of functional quirks that require account adjustments periodically. For example, after I backup at the end of a year, I want to get rid of old tenants and clean up my interface. When I delete an old tenant from the active file, I have to manually adjust the owner's balance to replace all the old transaction dollars (rent received, payments made). It only takes a little bit of time, but it's confusing to owners. Customer Service is usually very helpful!

Response from W G Software of

Replied January 2017

Thank you very much for reviewing the Tenant File and we appreciate the high rating and good comments, Marcus! Regarding your comment about year-end adjustments, you don't need to do that at all! When you make a tenant 'VACANT' it transfers the tenant to the 'Inactive File', but retains all owner accounting. So you should never 'delete' a tenant from the 'active' file, simply make that tenant 'VACANT'. That way the year-end closing will carry forward all of the correct balances. If you don't manage a property any more, you can 'delete' it at the end of the year. Normally you wouldn't delete the property if a balance is still due, but if there is a balan