• Pros

• "Easy of use when it does work, easy to navigate through. The cloud based is a nice feature as well. "

• "I like the integration with other partners and the user friendly system"

• "It meets 95% of the needs for a HOA community, with many additional modules. Has a good owner data base. Good tech support. Great program for the cost. Vendor has been around for a long time."

• Cons

• "It is difficult sometime if you run across ad issue that you need to wait for the support team to get back to you. Although, once they do they are very helpful!"

• "The bank reconciliations are a pain at times. It would be great if the bank statements were automatically pulled into the software."

• "The software is not web-based and can slow down the network. "

Browse TOPS [ONE] Reviews

David from 12751 (Premier Property Management Services, LLC)

Easy to use, easy to train staff on. Great product

To run our company most efficiently.

Pros

It is web based so as long as you have an internet connection you can use it. It is very user-friendly to use, the people at TOPS are without a doubt outstanding to work with. One time we had an issue and TOPS staff spent the time on the phone with us to show us what WE were doing wrong not TOPS ONE.

Cons

We have used several products in the past and I can honestly say TOPS ONE blows them all away. There is not much in the way of bad things to say, with all software there are bugs and things we as users would love to see but the thing about TOPS ONE is they care and listen so if you are looking for something specific just ask, reach out to them talk to them they will accommodate you.

Response from TOPS Software

Replied June 2018

David, thank you so much for your kind words! we had a strong vision (http://www.topssoft.com/one/roadmap) when we built TOPS [ONE] to make a product that successfully served ALL of the stakeholders of a community association in one single platform. It is encouraging when customers can intuit and embrace that vision!

October 2011

Jeffrey from Steward Property Services, Inc.

October 2011

I am the Vice President and General Manager for Steward Property Services, Inc., located in Petaluma, CA. We are a small company that has a strong local reputation that has been built over twenty years of managing Common Interest Developments from Ukiah to San Rafael. We have a unique take on managing HOAs and prefer to work toward a sense of community, rather than as enforcement agents. However, every Board we manage and every Association we manage is unique and they all have their own priorities, which we try our best to satisfy. When I started with this company over five years ago, the housing market was just beginning to crash. Foreclosures and bankruptcies were skyrocketing and our operational needs were multiplying faster than we could handle. This is when I started looking to consolidate our operations and use technology to increase efficiency in an effort to lower costs for our clients. We had been using software that was geared toward rental properties and creating customized communication using the Microsoft Office Suite. As our business began to grow, and I was promoted into more of a supervisory position, there was no way for me to provide accurate or constructive oversight because everyone seemed to be "doing their own thing." When I came across TOPS software, a light came on. All of their features fit all of our needs and everything was bundled into one nice package, which also functioned as a centralized database for all of the information that we had previously had to create individual folders for. The housing of data was also attractive because much of this could be kept digitally and we could begin decreasing our paper use. I researched many competitors and many different types of programs. The answer, for me, quickly became obvious. TOPS would be the perfect solution for our company. I worked with their sales department and expressed my problems and needs and they were able to define for me how TOPS could help. In 2008, we purchased the software with the intent of having our accounting department test it and become familiar with it, before introducing it to the management side of the house. This was incremental because we were able to first import all of our accounts from our previous software. Because we had our own unique needs, we chose to transfer all of the data ourselves, but if you are not that tech savvy, TOPS has conversion specialists that can work with almost any kind of database and get you up and running quickly. TOPS worked with our banks so that we could import and export data for check writing, reconciliations, deposits and all other areas of accounting functionality. We were able to convert all of our properties as their fiscal cycles renewed and began 2009 with all of our accounts in TOPS. The hiccups were minimal, but I was sure to purchase their unlimited tech support, and this has become incredibly valuable, as we have progressed. They are so friendly and helpful with minor user issues, but when our server crashed and we had to convert all of our backup data to our new server, TOPS worked overtime to make sure that we were up and running as soon as possible. If we want to customize any of our operations within TOPS, tech support and their training department have helped us get there. The training classes are fantastic and easy for any user, no matter the skill level. Once we transitioned this software to our managers, the reaction was immediate. Our managers actually thanked me for making their jobs easier. I helped them set up their form letters and CC&R tables, and suddenly their mountain of violation work had been streamlined and easily archived for reference. The reports helped them manage work orders, phone calls, and follow up on violations. I helped accounting set up their delinquency tables and tracking became a breeze. It was easier to train my successor on the delinquency process because TOPS streamlines and tracks the progress of the delinquency and using the job streaming function allowed the delinquency process to be completed in a matter of minutes, versus what used to take us three or four days. I could type on and on about how valuable TOPS has been to our business. They are constantly evolving the software and developing partnerships with companies such as AtHomeNet.com, who created and manages Association websites for us and is able to work with TOPS so that users can securely login to their Association site and view pertinent accounting data and reports. I try to attend any seminar TOPS offers because their products keep evolving so rapidly, I don't want to miss out. If you are thinking of transitioning software, I highly recommend TOPS for both small and large management companies. If you would ever like to speak with me about our experience, someone at TOPS can put you in touch with me. Or use the contacts listed in this review. I could not be happier with the choice we made. I hope you have success too!

Jay from East Coast Property Management

Full of Bugs and No Support

Pros

The vendor has very nice and professional employees

Cons

The software is full of bugs and links mysteriously stop working. Print to screen might work on some reports, not others. Email a homeowner, no way. Cant open that link at all. After upgrading and buying the new Professional a year and a half ago the product is obsolete and not supported. They want us to pay additional $ a month to fix the errors in their program.

Response from Andrea

Replied July 2016

Jay, thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on TOPS. Feedback like yours keeps us honest and allows us to continually improve both as a company, and in our products themselves. I am very sorry to hear that you have had some problems using the software. As I am sure you know, every software program (even the big boys!) have issues that sneak their way into the code. This is why we offer the monthly support plan for clients not only to have access to our world class support team, but also to provide you with regular updates to the software. More than just new features, these semi-annual updates include many bug fixes. Because the product that you purchased is a stand-alone Windows product, the only way we can afford to provide the level of support we offer is to charge a monthly maintenance fee. With our newer, SAAS products, support and updates are included in the monthly fees, but there is no way to do that for a one-time purchase. So yes. We do charge for support. But we do offer scaled plans that make it cost effective for smaller organizations like yours. And I promise you, it's worth the price.

Tiffany from Fairway Village Residents Association Inc.

TOPS One Worth the Effort - Paid off BIG Time!

Now that the pains of set up are over, we are all loving TOPS One. Since it is a new system they still have some bugs to work out; however, I have found the support team to be very responsive. Their enhancement program is nice, it allows you to recommend changes to upgrade the system to better suit your business needs. You will need to have a comprehensive plan in place, starting with the accounting transition and the patience to work through the transition. I learned a tremendous amount during this time and feel like I truly have a solid grasp on the accounting functions and reporting much better than beforehand.

Pros

Love having all property, accounting and resident information at my fingertips. Great for onsite managers. Provides real time reports and transparency of management operations to the board. Paying for itself double fold!

Cons

Set up was far from painless. Would definitely recommend the TOPS One Support Team find a way to assist in the transition by providing a comprehensive preparation plan.

Greg's Review

I came into the property management business knowing nothing and tops for sure eased me into the business of it and now I am pretty comfortable with it all.

Pros

Easy to access and learn. Keeps everything organized I need on a daily basis.

Cons

Hard to edit tablets in the soft system. Wish you could do it instead of having to add a whole new one

Response from TOPS Software

Replied December 2018

Thank you for your feedback, Greg! It¿s always great to hear from those who are brand new to the industry, and we¿re so glad that using TOPS has helped your learning experience! Don¿t forget that you can access our educational content to learn more, not just about our software, but about industry best practices and know-how, on our website at www.topssoft.com.

Lona from JBA

Don't Bother with this

Mike Hardy please get the issues with your first program corrected and don't sell your new one so fast. You made a lot of people unhappy.

Pros

The first program is easy to use and for someone who has a hard time learning something new. That's all I have to say!

Cons

Something is always wrong with the program. A/R goes off all the time and have to fix financials. Always something wrong where you have to call support and call Trapps. They work off 2 servers. New TOPS One is a mess and they will sell you with the accounting being all wrong and more issues than the first program. They don't have the software down correctly, too busy, not the easiest to use, doesn't have everything you need because they are still working it all out. TOPS One started too fast and they aren't and still aren't ready. They shouldn't be selling it but they are worried more for money than anything. Do yourself a favor, go with another program.

Chris from Muirfield Association Management, LLC

Buyer Beware

Incredibly frustrating. Too many bugs with the software. Customer service is HORRIBLE! Days to a week will pass before somebody will finally return our calls about problems with the software.

Pros

Nothing....Absolutely nothing. Complete regrets choosing this software

Cons

"CCR" Need an area to separately track Compliance and Architecture Review.

Response from TOPS Software

Replied November 2019

Chris, Let me first apologize for the experience you've had, and thank you for your candid feedback. I know that since leaving this review, you've had conversations with our Director of Customer Experience, Teri Perez, as well as your Customer Success Manager, Lindsay, about your concerns with the CCR module and the expectations you have for our responsiveness. If you're willing, we'd all like to speak with you about how the software has been working for you since this review and that phone call. If you find the time to chat with us, give me a call at our direct line, (800) 760 - 9966, and ask for the Marketing Campaign Manager, Meigan Thompson (that's me). Again, Chris, thank you for your honesty, we appreciate the opportunity to learn from our missteps to best serve TOPS users. I hope to hear from you soon. -Meigan at TOPS

Chris from Fieldstone Realty Partners

Antiquated

The joke I have always used about Tops is that it was designed in 1991 and not updated since then. I fear that is too close to accurate.

Pros

It has nearly every feature that one could need for property management. They now have APIs that can be used with outside services which is helpful.

Cons

It is difficult to use and it is clunky. Contacting customer service is a disaster, takes at least an hour, and while they address the issues they will not explain how so that you can avoid the hour plus long call next time it happens (and there will be a next time)

Review of Top (One)

Overall, it's a good software package. It's constantly growing and changing with updates. I hope to eventually see it exceed our expectations.

Pros

TOPS (One) is a very easy program to learn. I find it more user-friendly than TOPS Pro, its predecessor. The TOPS customer support is great at accepting feedback and correcting and editing issues that need to be updated or changed to fit the industry.

Cons

The fact sheet is limited. It needs to be expanded and it lacks the capability to print it off. Also, once a homeowner's CCR is closed, it no longer shows on the homeowner's history page.

Kathy from Aspire Community Management

Breath of Fresh Air

Like with TOPS Pro, it is an all-in-one solution. It has improved 100 fold by becoming web based with the portals. It was a bit of a learning curve switching from Pro to One but it is still very user friendly. I use it as a selling feature when pitching to potential clients. I love it and have no regrets on my purchase!

Pros

I love that it is cloud based and appealing to the eye. It is easy to add Board members as additional users and control what they can alter. Owners can log in to portals which makes it an inexpensive alternative to websites. I love all the partner integrations that they offer.

Cons

I wish it would further integrate with their partners. I also wish that it would remember some of the ways you like to toggle things instead of having to do it every time you log in.

Response from TOPS Software

Replied November 2018

What a delightful review Kathy! Thank you so much for your kind words! We do have much more planned for our industry partnerships in the future, so keep an eye on those product update notices!

Nina from Trident Real Estate

Tops One is great but still needs some advance features

My overall experience with Tops One, considering I am a beginner with this software, has been a extensive learning one.

Pros

What I like most about the software is the easy navigation between the functions available. For example, posting payments thru the AR- Cash Receipts provided under the AR-Accounts Receivable tab. It's easy to post a payment on a unit owners account.

Cons

The least I like about the software are: 1) from an accountant perspective and having QuickBooks knowledge doing adjustments and rectifying ledger accounts are a bit confusing. The Debits and Credits seem to work backwards in this software which causes major confusion when making adjustments. 2) Is not having an auto function for bank transaction integration . Currently all deposits made through the bank, the bank provides a text file which we then upload into Tops One (lockbox cash reciepts). For expenses we have to post manually. Quickbooks has a bank integration module which downloads bank transactions into the software which then the accountant can review and post with one click of a button without having to manually input transactions. Having this kind of integration will definitely provide a more realistic and real time bank balances.

Response from TOPS Software

Replied December 2018

Nina, thank you so much for submitting this feedback! We¿re always glad to hear that the software is simple to navigate, and while we know it comes with a bit of a learning curve, we hope that our training and implementation team has made that educational experience a pleasant one!

Marc from Core Community Mangement

Please read before buying this! what a nightmare!!!

If your goal is to run your office efficiently then I suggest you do not use tops one!! I was so excited after talking to the sales rep about all the cool changes we could make and not one of the promises turned out! I have sent at least 10 emails to ask them when I am getting my training on the compliance and management side of the software and I was told the rep will call me and then after more emails from me i was told some other rep will call me then after another email today they told me the third rep is going to be reaching out to me. That is what inspired the review! I can't believe this company is able to stay in business or are they on their way out and that is why all the issues many companies are having. I also called other companies across Utah and Arizona that use tops and I have asked them if they are having the same problems and I have had every one of the companies tell me they are looking to change! Don't buy this product you will regret your choice. The next step to get back my money/training and misdirected promises would be get a lawyer involved. Sad that they can just be honest and fair to their clients

Cons

One year later and still haven't been fully trained like I was promised they took thousands of dollars from me no problem. I have to pay on time but they don't have to deliver on anything. The support takes way too long to get answers or they don't have answers The emails only go out in Tops software's name and you can't customize the subject line if emailed not the scheduler Many people saying they aren't getting the emails from the software even though it says it was sent The financials always have mistakes that they can't explain then we have to wait for them to fix them Annual budget to update is very difficult to do. not user-friendly. you can hide the zeroed line items while updated the budget. good luck! They say the financial layout is customizable but yet when we ask if we can do things they say well you can't do that! Our CPA says The default financial isn't set up to the standard of typical financial statement Unable to delete certain data that they said we could during the demo The tradition has been a painful process! They said it is easy! it is not!! They said it works good with a Mac computer but it doesnt! yes it is web based but any docs downloaded or files you need to work with are not MAC friendly Reports take very long to download! Custom reports are not user friendly It crashes and times out It does not have simple commands like putting tables in alphabetical order or descending/ascending order. It also does not imp/exp very good

Response from TOPS Software

Replied June 2018

Marc, thank you for posting your review in so many places, we have really got to stop meeting like this! I know that you have spent excessive time with our support team and with Teri Perez, our support manager, and that you have experienced a resolution of many, if not all of the issues listed here. I appreciate that you continue to be a user of TOPS ONE, as a show of faith in our commitment to our clients and their needs. We promise to continue to work hard to win back your love and affection!

Beth from Coventry Group Community Management

TOPS[ONE] exceeds our company's needs

I have always had an extremely good experience with TOPS from tech support to sales to management! I love the product!

Pros

TOPS[ONE] is an easy to use product. It is intuitive and has made the transition from TOPSPro to ONE a pretty smooth process. TOPS has recently upgraded their support and it is excellent. I get quick, knowledgeable help. Training was thorough. New, innovative services are continuously added. TOPS is extremely responsive to customer feedback and requests.

Cons

There are some things that aren't as easy to use as in TOPSPro, but after talking to TOPS, I have found out those things are coming in the 2nd quarter.

justin from hoamco

After 15 plus years with Tops we finally had to waive the white flag

Pros

On paper it looks great and appears to be a great value - if you are a single user this may be the product for you based on price.

Cons

This company has fallen behind so far compared with their competition. They stopped innovating and placed no value in customer support. We have 300 plus communities with multiple offices in multiple states and I could not recommend Tops to anyone but a self managed community. Tops was costing our company over $50k per year working out problems that should have been addressed by Tops. The amount of lost data and the rush to deliver new updates that have not been tested cost us so much. I am the owner and have tried everything to resolve the issues we had - we finally made a move and it was the best decision. It was painful but what a difference in made for our clients and team. I am the owner of the company and I would be happy to answer any questions: Justin Scott www.hoamco.com

Response from TOPS Software

Replied February 2018

Justin, words cannot express how disheartening it is to read your review. I have personally worked with HOAMCO over the years and you have always been a valued client. I can assure you that we have definitely not stopped innovating - quite the opposite, we have probably taken on more innovations than we really should have. With three major products to actively support, our customer service team has struggled in recent months to scale up to the demand of new clients. That is no excuse. We are actively making changes in our infrastructure to accommodate the demand, but I can understand (sadly) how this is too little, too late for you. We wish you the best.

Dana from Great Northwest Community Improvement Association

Great HOA Software

TOPS ONE has been a great time saver for our large scale HOA, we are able to provide accurate financial billing and information to our homeowners.

Pros

I like the integration with other partners and the user friendly system

Cons

I would like to see more options for customizing the system to our needs

Response from TOPS Software

Replied November 2018

Thanks for your kind words Dana! We are so glad that TOPS ONE is saving you time and helping your board and homeowners! Our product team is always available to listen to feedback on how we can continue to improve the software to meet your needs. You can reach out to them via the support tools inside TOPS ONE.

Vicki from ProActive Property Management, LLC

TopsOne Review

Overall we are very happy with TopsOne. It was a slow start because there were many kinks that needed to be worked out but the IT staff were great and helped us along the way.

Pros

The versatility of the software. There is so much that this software is capable of doing.

Cons

The Cash Receipts option. It gets confused and applies money incorrectly at times. I wish you could edit the batch instead of having to delete and start over.

Response from TOPS Software

Replied December 2018

Hi Vicki! Thank you for letting us know about your issue with the Cash Receipts option. We¿ve forwarded this feedback on to the appropriate team. Our goal at TOPS is to constantly better ourselves and our products to best serve the needs of the industry and our clients. We¿ve also let our support staff know that you appreciate them! They love hearing from clients about the work they do. We look forward to continuing to serve you!

Joanna from EnProVera

Most of the time the programs features do not work.

There were no benefits except to learn to read reviews before purchasing a product.

Pros

Cons

It is just released before it is ready to be. Features don't work, the accounting is awful and when you try to get customer support you will pull your hair out. I takes over 48 hours to get someone to call you to tell you it's not something they can solve and has to go to Development which never gets solved.

Response from TOPS Software

Replied November 2018

Joanna, I am sorry to hear your frustrations. As you said, it is a new product and it is (and will continue) to be improved. In the time since you reviewed, we have made continual updates to the app, addressing many of the issues you mention. We would love to hear an update on your review if you feel your experience has improved!

James from HPS

Do Not Use

RUN AWAY FROM TOPS

Pros

Looks nice and seems easy to use at first glance but does not really work. Search bar was about the only thing that really worked and it took a few weeks before they could make it work.

Cons

Does not work. We spent months unable to run reconciliations or generate form letters from TOPSone. No support or help to resolve basic functionality issues.

Response from Meigan

Replied June 2018

James, Thank you for your honest review, we are so sorry that you have had this experience. When TOPS [ONE] was released, we became increasingly aware that the product had its merits, but our processes needed work. We’ve spent the year since its release modifying those processes to better accommodate the product and our clients, as well as making routine updates to reach feature parity with TOPS Professional. One of those updates includes the letters in TOPS [ONE], you can find it and all of our latest updates here: http://www.topssoft.com/blogs/tops-customers/topic/program-updates. We hope that you will reach out to our support team at (800) 599 – 5689 or by creating a ticket at support.topssoft.com to let us do everything we can to resolve your issues with navigating our product. Thank you for your feedback, we are listening, and we are doing everything we can to make the changes necessary to better serve our clients.

Julie from Lake Cushman Maintenance Company

We have been using Tops for over 20 years, currently using TOPS pro and considering upgrade to TOPS1

We have researched several other software packages, and TOPS1 appears to be the most cost effective choice moving forward. TOPS1 provides the best balance of accounting and member service options for our HOA. TOPS1 includes premium support, so that takes care of our issue with support.

Pros

Over the years we have developed a good relationship with staff at TOPS. We are able to use the software for most of our member and accounting tasks. There are excellent form letter options, gate/parking permit tracking and CC&R enforcement tracking.

Cons

We were disappointed when it became necessary to pay extra (double) for premium support to wait on hold for support. Currently it can take a couple of days for TOPS to call us back on issues. We lost about 5 days in 2017 due to waiting for call backs.

July 2014

Jim from Common Interests, Inc.

TOPS HOA management software

The integration from my previous software to TOPS went very well with their data conversion. The product is very easy to use and much easier to navigate to get to the function that you want than with my previous software, Asyst Data Group. I really like their violation letter tracking and generating module with the only negative being that you cannot print out just a list of homeowners that are at the fine and hearing stage. I love their work order module with the ability to track work orders by tenant. Entering and printing or emailing the work order is so easy. Being in California, I was worried about customer support from Florida but they have extended their support hours to cover the west coast. Negatives ..I wish the Expense GL printed on the vendor checks and that when you are entering invoices in the Accounts Payable module that there was a quick button to get to the payment history for the vendor you are entering an invoice for rather than having to go back to look up that vendor on a separate screen. The good news is that they are constantly listening to input from users and try to add functionality if enough users request changes. I can't say enough good things about them. They really have been a great help any time I need them!

Response from TOPS Software

Replied June 2018

Jim, thank you so much for the heartfelt review. I think you will be pleased to hear that we absorbed all of the feedback you gave us, and have released a number of these requests into the product already! I encourage you to check out our product updates here: http://www.topssoft.com/blogs/tops-customers/topic/program-updates

Brett from Prism Realty Management

Tops One

Well Worth the investment !

Pros

Tops One has been our platform from day one. We find the solution to be easy to learn yet full featured. Support organization is quick to respond! And features roll out all the time.

Cons

Some early issues, that since were able to resolve. Like the ability to add features without action on part.

Stephanie from Cedar Glen Homes

Not as user friendly as other programs

It's an okay program not good for someone who is not bookkeeping savy

Pros

The community side of this program is great for tracking monthly payments from residents and work orders

Cons

If you do not have a solid bookkeeping background this is not the program for you. Also, the technical support team takes days to address your problems

Thomas from Louie Management

Not stable, unreliable

We purchased TOPS software almost a year ago and from day one the software has been unstable. We were sold on features that don't work, i.e. iPhone app that is no long supported, labeling pictures with date stamp or GPS data, etc. Everyone at their company has a different way of accomplishing or doing things, so every time you call, you get a different answer. TOPS GO is very unstable, i.e. can't upload pictures, can't save GPS tagging, etc.

Pros

The software has so much potential.

Cons

The desktop version is written in an antiquated software language which limited many of the data fields. The on-line version is severely limited on features.

Response from TOPS Software

Replied July 2016

Hi Thomas, I am so sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your TOPS experience. I appreciate you taking the time to spell out your issues, and I wanted to address them in kind: 1) The iPhone app is no longer supported because we updated to GO 2.0, a device independent web app. Every client on the old version got a free upgrade to this version. 2) GPS encoding and time stamps for images are stored in our database, not in the image metadata. There are many apps you can get on your phone if you want it to store in the actual picture file. 3) Because of the open structure of TOPS, there is more than one way to do just about every function. I have reached out to Stefanie, your Account Exec to call you to develop an action plan to resolve any issues you continue to have. I also recommend you take a new look at TOPS [ONE], our brand new platform for accounting and management. It is very feature robust and sports a modern interface. Andrea Drennen, Marketing Manager

sheila from Waterside Monclova HOA

Ability to have Board as Users of the System

Utilizing TOPS has helped with managing our 602 home community.

Pros

The ability for our Board and for our accounting to be able to access and use the system is really great feature.

Cons

Response from TOPS Software

Replied December 2018

Shiela, great to hear from a self-managed community that is using TOPS [ONE]! Giving the board the rights to access the system is one of the great benefits of a web-based community association management software. For support, I encourage you to check out the in-app help system. It is extremely comprehensive, and best of all, no wait times!

January 2012

Suzanne from Wyndemere Homeowners Assoc., Inc.

January 2012

I have been a Tops user since late 1999. Our organization is comprised of 16 Neighborhood Associations and a Master Association. Our organization is the property management for all 17 associations as they are all located within one Premier Country Club. I was forced to look for new software as the software that I was using became unavailable as the owner of the (one man) company suddenly past away. I was very happy with the software, but had no idea that most of the components were not written down. He was brilliant except he should have shared the information with someone else. Now, as I was researching for a new program, my main concern was to find an established company that was not a (one man) show. There were several excellent programs that I looked at, very impressive; however most of them were a (one man) show. I found several companies that were using Tops Software and I went to a couple of them to see Tops in action. It was very impressive and very stable. That is how I decided to pick Tops! I am now using Tops 4.0. In the beginning, Tops was quite easy to initiate. Tops came with a training package, which included a Tops Representative to help me with the set up. We, Tops and I, have had a long relationship now and I have no regrets. I am constantly learning the new upgrades and I am very happy that I made the right choice! Tops also offers excellent customer support! I never have to fear when I need assistance as the return call or online response is very quick! Thank you Tops Software!!

Cathy from Saw Creek Estates Community

September 2016

This review is for Tops Pro and I have been using it for 14+ years.

Pros

Cons

Does not work well with large communities that have a lot of data, reports take to long to process. Flex data fields are to cumbersome to get good reports. Custom reports is complicated, not user friendly.

Gina from Premier Association Management of Central Florida

March 2012

We have been a Tops customer for over 6 years and can’t imagine how we operated without it. Starting up my management business back in 2004 I came from a large management company that used self-made software, which was fairly inexpensive. I searched several companies including TOPS and ended up purchasing another companies software primarily due to price. I used the software for less than 6 months and the time I was spending trying to maneuver through the glitches and the hours spent on the phone with their customer support I could have paid for TOPS software twice over. I have recommended Tops to many colleagues in my industry. It never seems to amaze me when they call me to tell me how easy it is to use and how great their customer support team is. TOPS has streamlined our business and we wouldn’t consider ever using anything else. I have used TOPS trainers on a few occasions to come to our office and I would recommend that anyone purchasing TOPS hire a trainer to come in and train you for a few days. It is easy to use, but much more efficient with the training. We have used most of the modules provided and our newest two are the maintenance modular, which is so much easier than trying to do it the old fashion way and the TOPS go, which we are just starting to use. The managers are asking how they made it without this feature before. In my opinion TOPS has cornered the market when it comes to Association Software. Great Job and keep bringing us those new features; we love them!

Burke from Community HOAM

TOPS has gone down hill

We started with TOPs IQ and it was okay. Support started out good but then they sold us on tops one with a better interface and a lot of promises. TOPS one has been a major disappointment. Changing management software is a big undertaking, don't commit to tops because you will regret it. It has cost our company thousands of dollars in setup, increased subscription costs and lost time for managers.

Cons

They sold us with great functionality and promises but after we paid for setup and training we found out that it couldn't do basic stuff like send emails from our company email address. It has now been over a year and the product is still not there and they never respond to inquiries.

Response from Meigan

Replied June 2018

Hi Burke, We know the stress that changing software can cause. We strive to make that transition as smooth as possible, and we apologize if that effort did not live up to your expectations. One of our most recent updates tackles the email concerns you mentioned. You can find it, and all of our latest releases, here: http://www.topssoft.com/blogs/tops-customers/topic/program-updates). In the year since TOPS [ONE] has been released, we have continued to add features and functionalities such as this to TOPS [ONE] to reach feature parity with TOPS Professional. We are working diligently to improve our products and your input is a large part of that. Thank you for your patience, we hope you will continue to share your feedback with us and help us to better serve you.

Vicki from Heritage Management Co

Fantastic for HOA Management

When I started my company 21 years ago, I used AccPac to implement the accounting for the homeowner associations my company managed. I found AccPac to be expensive and not tailored to HOA Management. Their Representative introduced me to Sage, but it didn't really fit my needs. I started using TOPS in May 2008, and was amazed at how easily it flows. I also appreciated how they offered different modules so I could buy only what I needed. TOPS Professional is more streamlined, and more user friendly than what I had been using. I am extremely happy that it is tailored for HOA Management. The support team is fantastic! The only negative for me is I could not get the bank balances properly reconciled, and therefore I have continued to use Quicken for printing checks, scheduling EFT payments, and reconciling the bank statements. An additional step, but also a good check & balance system. Also, I prefer Quicken's check register printouts versus the TOPS check register that prints after entering the checks on AP.

Response from TOPS Software

Replied July 2014

Vicki, thanks so much for the positive feedback! I am very interested in your comments about reconciliation and report formats. I have asked one of our best accounting specialists, Nancy Marry to connect with you and figure out what your needs are and what we can do to help meet them. Feel free to email me at andread@topssoft.com if you have any questions. - Andrea Drennen, Marketing Manager

June 2013

Dixie from SouthShore Property Management

June 2013

I purchased the TOPS system for the company that I started back in the beginning of 2011. I made this decision after 10 years in the industry and having used several different property management software programs. I chose TOPS because it was easy to use and being geared specifically to HOA's, it had all of the functions that were needed. Over the past years, TOPS has remained the backbone of our firm. We depend on it to maintain all of our community information in a central location. Upon purchase the team at Tops worked quickly to get me set up and provided ample training for use. I have also found that it is very easy for me to train new users that have been added to my team on the program. It offers a very simple and forthright menu system. Overall, I would certainly recommend TOPS to those searching for new management software. As with any software, you may find areas of the program that are not specifically suited for you. However I do not believe that any firm is going to find a program that meets 100% of their requirements/wishes unless it is custom-designed. On a final note, I would have to add that the technical support team is absolutely amazing. I have never received anything less than stellar service when I have had the need to call in. Any areas that I feel the software may be lacking to meet my personal desires is certainly made up by the service of their support department!

Laura from Rizzetta & Company

March 2012

As a Senior Staff Accountant with Rizzetta & Company, I've been using TOPS software for just over six years. I find the software to be very easy to use and quick to learn. I find it easy for my staff members to learn as well. In this troubling economic time for both HOA's and COA's, I find the collection table a very useful tool. When I started over six years ago we had very few owners within our associations that paid their assessment. Nowadays it's not uncommon for you to have an association with 20% or more of delinquent homeowners, so collections are now a major part of what we do. I find it great that I can customize my collection letter to find my individual associations needs. Also, another wonderful tool that has saved us time and money is the Flex Data option in the Owner data screen. Last year we really started using this field effectively. We inputted all of our owner’s bill pay # from BB&T into this field and now have changed our collection letter to direct the delinquent payment to the lockbox instead of coming to our corporate office. By having the payment go directly to the lockbox this is saving our accounting staff time because we don’t need to manually enter the payment. It saves the delinquent owner a week in processing time for that payment to post to their account. Like any software there are issues, but I really want to say that the software support we receive from TOPS is truly top notch.

Everything feature "Coming soon"

Pros

It's web based so you can use it anywhere including on your phone - with limited functionality do the design/style.

Cons

They seem to be more concerned with helping vendors in their add-on ecosystem then customers who pay them directly. Long wait times for support, even when paying for premium support. New system with flaw like: - submit a form and sometimes would post 2-3 times. - duplicating annual budgets - unable to delete certain data (deleting eventually became a "feature") - Current President Mike will over promise and under deliver deliver, and then deny any conversation. Or will schedule a follow up appointment and then block all correspondence instead of the follow up conversation - a complete lack of respect for my time.

Response from TOPS Software

Replied February 2018

TOPS Professional was built over a 30-year time-span. In that time, we added hundreds of features to aid in community association management. Writing TOPS [ONE] from scratch, we had to choose which of those features were essential to be able to produce a viable product. To help fill the holes we did not have ready, we cultivated strong relationships and integrations with industry partners. In the year since TOPS [ONE] has been released we have continued to add features and functionalities to the product to reach feature parity with TOPS Professional (view recent releases here: http://www.topssoft.com/blogs/tops-customers/topic/program-updates) Mike, and every one of our team takes our clients feedback very seriously. We absolutely do hear you, and respect your time. We are working hard to make changes to the product and to internal structures to better serve you and every client.

September 2013

Christina from PML Management Corp- San Mateo, CA

September 2013

We began using TOPS in September 2012 after reviewing and researching many other software options. TOPS is not only reasonably priced, but they offer many additional modules or services to increase productivity and efficiency. TOPS software is very user-friendly, robust, practical, detailed, and it is frequently updated to follow new legislation. They also have a terrific tech support team. Every call we have made resulted in a solution. The team is friendly, courteous, understanding, and compassionate. They do not belittle or shame us when we make a stupid mistake or call with a “dumb” question. TOPS software allows us to create violation letters, collection letters, architectural request forms, and much more directly from the software. The A/P portion allows for keeping copies of invoices directly in the vendor history instead of storing years worth of invoices in filing cabinets. We can store copies of recorded deeds directly in the owner’s record instead of scanning it into another system or holding paper copies. TOPS offers much more than just keeping standard AR/AP records. Since beginning with TOPS, we have been able to reduce our stored paper and practically eliminate our third party scanning system. I highly recommend the software to HOA/CID management companies.

Morgan from Elite Manaegement Group

January 2012

Hello my name is Morgan and I am the Administrative Director of Elite Management Group, we are a Homeowner and Condominium Association Management firm. We are a small business with high demands, and the expectation of high quality service to ensure we are providing our clients with top-notch programs. We like to think we hit it out of the park when we chose to take on the TOPS family. We were using a similar web based system that had a terribly slow turnover process that, at most times, left us with a frozen screen. However, none of that happens with the TOPS Professional 4.0 software (we did start with the version prior to 4.0). We not only depend on TOPS Software everyday to preserve and keep our Homeowner information secure and functioning but we also depend on there staff to continue to knock out awesome tools that better help us serve our clients in the property management industry. We are new to the TOPS family having used TOPS for only a couple of years, but we are never disappointed with the software and staff. The useful and easy to navigate toolbars and tutorials allow us to quickly train new staff members, which therefore allows us to get back to our clients quicker! I have yet to be disappointed with the service and quality of the product. Keep up the hard work!!!

Nate from Desert Edge Property Management

Property Manager

Pros

Puts what you need to watch at the forefront... on the home screen. Work orders are placed at the front.

Cons

The help options don't help much. I wish they had a better help option online or in the product instead of having to call.

Blake from Property Management Inc

Great Partner - VERY user friendly

Support team is very helpful and knowledgeable about the product. Clean interface, great integrations!

Pros

Accounting is very specific to the industry. Easy to use and understand. Price is extremely fair. Support team has your back!

September 2014

Melanie from McCormick Woods Association

September 2014

Easy to use!

Pros

It's easy to use and has what we need in one software package and at our fingertips. We are able to save so much time compared to our last software. In the beginning, it seemed like we must be missing steps, because things just didn't take as long as they had in the past.

Cons

I don't like the customer support. Aside from our problems with customer support and getting things corrected, the other least favorite aspect of TOPS is not being able to modify reports and financials like I would like to. I am used to having the ability to change things and that just isn't possible with TOPS. We were told before we purchased that they are working on modifications to where we can make some changes. I really hope that happens.

January 2012

Wynn from Property Management Systems, Inc.

January 2012

Our company Property Management Systems, Inc. has been a TOPS client since just about the beginning. We are located in NE Florida and offer our services throughout Florida and Southeast Georgia. We manage over 130 associations and use TOPS Professional 4.0. We are currently expanding our operations base and the new TOPS GO will be an integral part of our field operations. Our experience with the TOPS TEAM, I believe, places us in a unique position to judge their software over a long period of time. I cannot recommend a better solution for this industry; the ease of use, streamlined integration with all aspects of the industry and software modules makes this software solution the TOP Choice. It is not untypical when we meet with a new client to conduct a tutorial on our TOPS system so the prospective clients understand and can see the strength of our operations. I can personally tell you this has sealed the deal on two separate accounts in the last six months. It is our experience when you are being interviewed by a new association that has used the generic systems like Quickbooks or the sorts, the interview takes on a life of it's own as we showcase our TOPS technology edge. Good Job TOPS.

kimberly from VSA Associaiton Management, LLC

kims review

My overall experience with TOPS ONE is good customer support is spot on however most of the features you need an enhancement for in order for it to work properly

Pros

I like being able to have all of my communities at my fingertips

Cons

that most of the features in the program do not work correctly without an enhancement

Sandy from Advocate Property Management

Adequate Software for Smaller Property Management companies

Pros

TOPS listened to its customers and added many new features with their newest software - TOPS ONE.

Cons

Customer support is not as responsive as we needed. Many companies respond quicker to larger customers, and delay call back to small, growing companies. This is where we felt Tops fell short of our expectations.

Robin from Mission Association Financial

March 2012

We are a financial services company that works with different management companies and self managed associations. We act as their "Accounting Department" to allow management companies to avoid the overhead of an accounting department. We were using Avgar since we started the company in 1995. Since it stopped being supported, after being sold to Jenark, we started looking for different software that would grow with us and help us grow. We spoke to Andrew, did a Demo and liked what we saw. We started our conversion in December 2010 and finally completed all 300 associations as of the end of December 2011. We wanted to make sure we were completely used to the new software before bringing all of our clients on. It has been a slow process, but all of the people we have worked with at TOPS have been exceptional. The Tech support group is great answering all of my dumb questions. The conversion coordinator is wonderful. And Andrew is always there for us. Every time I tell a prospective client that we are on TOPS, they are impressed. I would recommend this product for anyone wanting an integrated package.

Mike from PMI West Michigan

Mike's review

Pros

What I do know about the software it seems to go fairly smooth. It has helps on the page

Cons

When I am stuck and have an issue there is not a quick response from customer service

Response from TOPS Software

Replied December 2018

Hi Mike! Thank you so much for your feedback. Our support team works hard to insure every client is treated as quickly as possible, but we do experience high volumes of requests at peak times. I encourage you to use the in-app help tools to find the answers you need, we have devoted a lot of attention to creating articles, guides and videos to help you find answers quickly, and on your own schedule. We¿re very glad to hear that the software has been easy to use, and hope you continue to enjoy the product!

Bill from Terra Vista HOA Management

Don't buy this software!!

I normally don’t do reviews, but my experience with company has been awful! I was sold a bill of goods over a year ago on the merits of the online software “Tops One”. The program never worked well, was full of bugs, and was rushed into release before it was ready… I’ve requested a refund of my implementation fee and monthly fees, with no response from the company. I researched their products and viewed the market share and was impressed with their stand alone products, prior to me jumping into the online version. What they offered was real time in the field, cloud based software that would have been exactly what I was looking for! No such luck, even my trainer finally acknowledged that the program was rushed to market and was ghost of a product that is currently in use. And just so you know I’m not a nut case competitor trying to knock them.

Pros

non

Cons

See above

Response from Andrea

Replied April 2017

Hi Bill, thank you for sharing your feedback about TOPS ONE. I am so sorry to hear that you had troubles using the software. We never want a client to feel frustrated like that! Clearly, as an early adopter you ran into some of the feature gaps that come with releasing a new product to market. Over the past year the TOPS Development Team has worked tirelessly to close this gap. The TOPS ONE that was sold to Terra Vista then does not represent the current cloud based HOA Software that is on the market today. All of our efforts in current and future development are focused on making TOPS ONE the leading HOA software in the industry. We hope that in the future Terra Vista would be willing to take another look at TOPS ONE so see that that this is so. I have spoken with our sales representatives and been informed that your return was successfully completed, less the implementation services that had already been used. If you wish to further discuss this return, I encourage you to call our Sales Director, Patrick Hixson at 800-760-9966.

April 2013

Stephen from Community Management Group

April 2013

TOPS software is the worst association management software there is. If you call up with a system wide problem they will show you how to fix it in one community, and then tell you to do the rest. You can't reach anyone on the phone to complain about the techs either because their department is small. They will just pass you around from one tech to the next. Every time I have to call these guys, I grab the closest stress ball because I know I will be on the phone for at least 60 minutes. If you are considering this program, please be aware! They are not customer-service oriented! They will sell you their program and then your pretty much on your own. When the vendor history in each of your communities disappears because of an upgrade, don't expect much help. So far in 2013 I have had to call support over 35 times, not once did I enjoy the experience or leave a good review!

Response from Andrea

Replied May 2013

Hi Stephen, We at TOPS deeply regret that you had a negative experience with TOPS Technical Support. We pride ourselves on providing amazing customer service, so it is troubling to us when a customer feels like they are not being heard and treated with the care that they deserve. I know that you have spoken with our Technical Support Manager several times over the course of the past month, and it is my understanding that the technical issues you were experiencing at the time of this review have been worked out. We have also added code into the program to prevent any customers from experiencing this same issue in the future. We value your feedback (even negative!) because it brings to light areas where we can improve our service and support. We hope that we can re-earn your faith and trust in TOPS Support, and in TOPS as a company in general.

Coreen from Lake Sherwood Estates Association

March 2012

I am the office manager/accountant for Lake Sherwood Estates Association, which is a 1300-acre lake community in MO. We are very unique in that we are a homeowners association with both lot owners (aprox. 480) and lot owners (aprox. 1400), who use us as a recreational/vacation community. We have a 24-hour a day guarded gate where residents and lot owners call in all their guests. We have 6 lakes that we rent docks, parking spaces, and rack for boat storage. We also own and operate our own water system. We read, enter all metered information, and then bill our residents monthly. TOPS is one of the very few options of software that allow us to manage all of this information and accurately bill our members. It has been a learning process, but software support is always extremely helpful!!! They take our recommendations seriously and work towards making the product more efficient for us as an organization. We are thrilled we found TOPS! It has saved our organization a tremendous amount of time and for that we are thankful.

June 2014

Jennifer from Banyan/GRS

June 2014

Banyan/GRS Merger

Business is great in Palm Beach County and we are having growing pains. We are in the process of merging Banyan Property Management and GRS Management Associates. Both companies were each managing over 100 communities prior to the merger. Now we have integrated two TOPS installations onto one IT platform. The folks at TOPS have been consistently helpful every step of the way. Teri's technical support team are great folks. Each team member is knowledgeable and patient. Teri's team is truly one of the best technical support groups I have worked with over the course of 25 years in the IT industry. Thanks guys. You are the best!

Response from TOPS Software

Replied July 2014

Jennifer, thank you so much for sharing your story! Integrating two companies into one is a nightmare by anyone's standards and I am so happy that the process has gone (relatively) smoothly for you. I can't help but agree that the TOPS support team are secret superheroes, hiding their capes in a drawer by their desk!

September 2016

Jessica from Saw Creek Estates Community Association, Inc.

1.5

2.5

September 2016

Tops is not as good as it seems!

Pros

The software has many features that originally excited us when we purchased it over 15 years ago. It is also one of the most commonly used software for Home Owner Associations on the market.

Cons

It is not user friendly and the programming is terrible. It does not have simple commands like putting tables in alphabetical order or descending/ascending order. It also does not have any good importing/exporting features when pulling or manipulating data.

Response from Andrea

Replied September 2016

Jessica, thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your thoughts on TOPS. I was thrilled to hear you are still using our product 15 years later, but the lady has certainly begun to show her age, as you pointed out. If you are interested in a beautiful and functional new product that meets all your needs and looks and feels cutting edge, I would encourage you to look into TOPS [ONE], our completely new web-based platform for community association. It is a full replacement for TOPS Pro, rewritten from the ground up to be more practical for the modern community association manager. Please check it out at http://tops-one.com/one Sincerely, Andrea Drennen, Marketing Manager at TOPS Software

May 2016

Julie from Indian Spring Master Association, Inc.

2.5

May 2016

We have used TOPS PRO since 2008

Pros

The team is extremely friendly and the platform of the product has everything we need.

Cons

The wait time for tech services if you do not pay for Premium support

Alejandra from Westport realty inc.

Awesome Accounting Software

Great accounting software

Pros

Super easy to navigate, makes doing bank reconciliations super easy as well as paying out vendors that are owed. Even setting up users is super simple and fast.

Cons

Do not have much that I can complain about, I have had success while using OneSite and hope to continue to use it and always recommend it.

Deborah from Villages at Kiln Creek Owners Association

Our migration from the old TOPS to TOPS One has been a total disaster

Benefits???? We have yet to see any benefit for the upgrade at all. It has been a constant battle with their office to even respond - we still are out of balance, the form letters still don't work accurately and NO ONE from TOPS will even address.

Pros

Only the fact that it is web based - the old TOPS had more features and at least it worked, even though it was cumbersome

Cons

Nothing balances!!!! Form letters don't match A/R - Customer service to resolve issues is NONEXISTENT. The staff seems to be overwhelmed and doesn't know any more than we do !!!

Response from TOPS Software

Replied June 2018

Deborah, Thank you for your review, we're sorry your experience has not reflected what you hoped it would be. Our staff works hard to provide a high level of service for all of our clients in a timely manner. We are continuously striving to make our product better, as I am sure you have seen in recent updates (http://www.topssoft.com/blogs/tops-customers/topic/tops-one). Your feedback helps us to learn how to better serve our customers. I encourage you to contact me directly if you would like to speak to a manager regarding your issues. (800) 760-9966 x9713 - Andrea Drennen, CMCA