All Xero Reviews

Karim

11 - 50 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed January 2021

One stop Accounting solutions for Small to Medium organisations.

Rino

Accounting, 201-500 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Xero - The Cloud Based Software of the future

Fantastic product with fantastic support and really meaningful input from the actual company staff

PROS

Xero's main benefit to us as a mid tier accounting firm is the ease of importing information. It supports multiple bank feeds on a reliable basis and its open API allows for the support of many add in apps

CONS

Being a non-technical software, it does sometimes give the impression of not being as robust in terms of ease of change of prior information. This can be overcome by locking down periods, one just has to remember to do this though.

The main factors were cost and engagement with the Xero South Africa team

Reasons for switching to Xero

The capital development expenditure and size of Xero simply mean that it is outpacing other software in terms of speed of development, effectively future-proofing our practice.

Laura

Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed April 2023

To keep track of finances, Xero is a small business' best friend

We've suggested Xero to a few clients and even forced them to switch from their current accounting software because of how much superior it is than its competitors.

PROS

If you're not an accountant, Xero is still simple and straightforward to use. Daily operations are based on the straightforward processes of making payments to suppliers and receiving money. It's the best option for a company of that size. It's simple and straightforward to use this accounting software to keep track of your company's money. This program is something I use constantly.

CONS

Xero is designed for small businesses, therefore it has basic restrictions (journal approvals, etc.). As a company's billing operations reach a certain mass, they outgrow a single Xero instance and require the use of many instances running in parallel to process all of the bills.

Reasons for switching to Xero

Xero excels at the fundamentals, such as invoicing, cash flow forecasting, and vendor management. It's easy to generate a report that has all the fields and formatting you need.

Danville

Non-Profit Organization Management, 201-500 employees

Reviewed May 2024

An Excellent and Perfect Accounting and Bookkeeping Tool.

PROS

I like ease to carry out accounting and bookkeeping activities with Xero. Billing and invoicing is another aspect of Xero that I like. It is simple to track and manage cash flows. It is a convenient tool for bank reconciliation. It enables ease to track and manage expenses.

CONS

I haven't found anything complicated with Xero as it simplify accounting process.

Peter

Design, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2020

Xero is made for accountants and not small business or tradies.

Xero is quick to reconcile but so are the other brand options. I am making a lot of money for my accountant because I always need to ring and get help.

PROS

Easy reconciliation but this is a feature of most brands now.

CONS

Reports are impossible to configure and source the data I need. The layout is poor and not user friendly. The technical terms used are common to accountants but make no sense to small business operators. The online help is useless and takes forever to get a response. Feature requests are ignored and not even responded to. There are other brands that offer a much easier user interface and at a fraction of the cost. I was forced into XERO as it was the only brand my accountant would support. I have to ring the accountants for help all the time who change a fortune for simple advice. Every feature I need is an extra add on charge. The remember me at login does not work and I have to waste time with 2 step login every time I leave the computer for 5 minutes. XERO does not work well on the tablet. The bank feeds do not deliver all the transaction data detail and its very difficult to identify some businesses. Memorizing transactions and splitting purchases is a real time-waster.

Reason for choosing Xero

I was forced to use it by my accountant who would not support the other brands.

Julian

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2024

Excellent accounting software

Been using Xero for years and have only good things to say. Its been a game changer for us.

PROS

Once it is setup, it will change the way you work. With a streamlined and easy to use interface it is great for day to day business, and for checking reports too. Bank reconciliation and reminders are super important features.

CONS

The chart of accounts was a bit confusing but understand it now.

Reasons for switching to Xero

Xero was a lot more powerful and had many more features.

Julio

Reviewed January 2024

Xero, Basic Accounting Software

We used Xero for the basic accounting of our company, and the results were great the software is cloud based, and you can input and deliver financial reports with it.

PROS

I like that it did what it had to do, this suffer is a very complete software. It has a lot of integrations. You can integrate it with almost every single financial analysis, software available, and with all the banking within the US.

CONS

I find that the interface needs work, I think that famous software like this should be able to edit or personalize the interface

Reason for choosing Xero

It was a gamble, coin toss, we went with Xero but they are very similar software.

Kelvin

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Reviewed May 2024

Xero boasts robust security measures and a wide range of features.

PROS

Xero provides analytical tools that assist in analyzing our financial activities to gain insights into our financial health and track records.

CONS

I have never encountered an error using this tool ,it works best for me.

Chelcie

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2024

Experience with Xero

So far, it does what we need in regards to accounting.

PROS

Has a little more flex in options of set up for sales and bills than other accountancy platforms.

CONS

There could be more features and better ways for reporting.

Reason for choosing Xero

Better cost and had some knowledge prior to purchasing.

Badri

Financial Services, 1 employee

Xero Review

Overall, this Zero software is good and affordable for small business

PROS

Good Costomer Service: Xero provides good Costomer service via chat, email and other channels in time Comprehensive Features: Xero Software has wide range features like expense tracking, reconciliation and reporting.

CONS

Learning Curve: As Zero has plenty of features, there supposed to be training and education for new account users.

Kristoffer

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Xero - industry standard

Its become part of the company. WIsh it was even better. Not much progress during last 5 years.

PROS

Its used by many, it has API to banks and is the industry norm

CONS

The customisation for each market is limited. Currencies is an expensive option.

Reasons for switching to Xero

Cost was lower than having full time bookkeeper

Reviewed August 2020

A leading software in it's industry

A beautiful piece of software that turns a once tedious chore, into an easy and intuitive process. I always recommend my clients to use Xero (if they can afford to) as I believe it makes the workflow much smoother and simpler for everyone involved.

PROS

As an accountant and bookkeeping business owner I have been using accounting software for well over 10 years. I have to say when Xero entered the market I was definitely curious as to what it could bring to the market. I believe Xero have captured a very nice niche of the industry with it's very business orientated user interface and simplisitic feel. It makes accounting somewhat fun for the business owner. The way that they have revolutionized the way the bank reconciliation is performed makes it easier for buiness owner and accountant/bookkeeper to work together. I love the comments functionality and the rules that can be set to repeating transactions. The AI in the bank reconciliation also has a very nice balance to it. It will allocate your transactions when you need it to, but not too aggressively - meaning you don't have to undo all the automatic allocations (unlike some other software like MYOB). They also have a lot of resources to help business owners and financial professionals. In addition they make continual updates to their software to adapt to the times.

CONS

I think the biggest con of the software is the price tag. Many of my clients have found this to be a stumbling block, saying that the monthly subscription fee is too high for their business. Other than the price, the only other con is the support is only via email (this is the last time I had an issue which was a few months ago). They do not have a support contact phone line (in Australia at least) - so response has to be via email (which may lead onto a call later if it cannot be resolved by email). Which takes longer to resolve the issues.

Reason for choosing Xero

As mentioned above, I prefer the functionality.

Reasons for switching to Xero

Functionality was much better and robust in Xero than in MYOB.

Sibylle

Financial Services, 1 employee

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed November 2020

My investment in Xero didn't work out

I became Xero certified in 2016, I was very enthusiastic about the product at the time, and thought I would be building a practice using it. Unfortunately, the more I used it, the less well it worked for me, due to the reasons given above and more. I also find the Xero portal for practitioners unnecessarily complex and difficult to navigate. The company was always also assigning new account managers to me. I think I've met four or five in total. Xero frequently asked me for feedback and I provided it several times, especially about my discontent with their reconciliation process, which I consider inadequate to my needs as a professional bookkeeper, and which I had seen cause significant problems for business owners trying to maintain their own file. Though I repeated this feedback over the course of several years, it hasn't changed. I realize I'm just one customer, and I don't know if others feel the same way or not. Anyway, in the end, I didn't want to work with this issue anymore.

PROS

Transaction processing in the bank feed is, as they claim, very well set up. At the time I started using Xero, the company also seemed to provide some needed competition and an alternative to intuit in the small business accounting software space.

CONS

The other accounting software apps I use are QBO and Wave. Both, IMO, are better than Xero. Back to the bank feed -- Xero is unable to connect with a number of banks. In addition, the bank feed sometimes drops out transactions with no notice to the file owner or bookkeeper. Thanks to the lack of a reconciliation process tied to hard numbers, inaccuracies can pile up in the registers as a result. In addition, overall access to data in the registers is more awkward to accomplish than in either QBO or Wave. Editing transactions is significantly more complex than in QBO. The system of comparison between the "bank statement lines" and the account register was confusing at times. And there are odd glitches in the reporting (cannot recall all the details now, I only have one client left using this app) that I had to watch out for. Xero is a product that has some really amazing capabilities mixed in with real weaknesses.

See above.

Reasons for switching to Xero

At the time, Xero looked better. Over time, QBO caught up and now surpasses Xero in quality, IMO.

Monika

Reviewed February 2021

Xero for Business

I am happy, can be connected with my clients all the time, can prepare reports anywhere, anytime. I think the price for South Africa is a bit high

PROS

I like the product is easy to use, no need high knowledge of accounting, the person who never was doing accounting can easily manage this product

CONS

there is still missing a few things as inventory shall be a bit changed as people with two inventories in different places can not have two storages, there are few things that missing and can make it easier to work with

more user friendly I think

Reasons for switching to Xero

the cloud, it is an advantage to be cloud due to my work I am travelling a lot and if client need help can do it on the move

Rowena

Reviewed September 2021

It took me a while, but I am a Xero convert!

When I first began using Xero, I had heard a lot about it and was skeptical. Surely, no software could be so "all that"! I was introduced to it by a colleague who has converted the whole of her mid-size accountancy practice to it, and literally within a day and a half (which did include watching some of the short but very clear tutorial videos) I was not only up and running, but felt confident using it, finding my way around it, locating and fixing errors etc. It's literally that simple and straightforward. It's also incredibly stable - I think in 3 years it's only been offline (to my knowledge) 3 times, each for a very short period. I've also not found ANY bugs so far - almost unheard of! - and the support is fantastic, even though it's online.

PROS

Provided it's set up properly, Xero is probably the most friendly accounting software - to non-accountants that is - of any I've ever come across. Back in the 90's, MYOB revolutionised accounting software for small business, but Xero takes it to a whole new level, by removing so much of the data entry work that takes time, leaves room for errors and is in general a pain, when you'd rather be - you know, running your business. With Xero, it's up to the individual operator how much they want to automate their accounting transactions; if you want to, you can use the really powerful, but still simple tools to do a lot of the legwork for you. If you prefer to do it more manually, that's OK too - it's still simple and very quick and easy to use.

CONS

Xero is constantly adding and refining its software. Inventory control is an area I'd like to see strengthened, but that's already way ahead of where it was a couple of years ago. Similarly processing payments in advance. But these are relatively small niggles which for the majority of small businesses don't present any issue.

Reasons for switching to Xero

I was contracting to an accountancy firm who had converted their entire practice to Xero.

Elena

Entertainment, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Xero has helped us transform and streamline our processes

Xero has streamlined our operations, and simplified our record keeping, and notification of when bills are due for payment or invoices due for collection. The dashboard is fantastic for an overall picture. The reporting tools are excellent, and the ease of use is so logical and straightforward, that it's simple l to self-teach even for a beginner. On top of that when you have any questions the how-to guides are thorough in themselves, and support is excellent and very quick to come back to you with an in depth answer.

PROS

The ease of use is fantastic, and a beginner is able to self-teach quite easily with the fantastic guides and webinars that are available from Xero. The support is also exceptional and I have always had my queries answered in great detail and very quickly.

CONS

My main issue was that I would like to be able to create different delivery addresses on invoices that have one invoice address but different delivery locations, as it's important to specify. To workaround we write it in the body of the invoice, however with previous systems we have been able to enter multiple delivery addresses, for one invoice address and select the required one each time.

Reason for choosing Xero

We watched several comparison videos but it was the ease of use that sold us. I had used Sage and Zoho books in the past and knew that I didn't want to use either of them again, and I was so pleased that we chose Xero as has been fantastic for us.

Reviewed September 2022

Great online software for SMEs

It has been great software that helped many business to grow with up to date, online financial information.

PROS

Xero has been one of the first solutions for cloud bookkeeping and accounting and has successfully competed with the likes of Sage and QuickBooks. It has probably the most other software providers that link directly with Xero over APIs.

CONS

Over the years there were some features that were requested and it took a long time for them to be implemented, also more and more features are additional paid for addons.

Reason for choosing Xero

It has the most connections with other apps, links with workpapers among other things.

Reasons for switching to Xero

Clients were unhappy with existing software.

karl