Browse Muck Rack Reviews

Christine from Penguin Random House

Industry: Publishing

Great for personalized pitches

Muck Rack is great for PR outreach and finding contacts outside of our usual pitching list. I've fostered relationships with media contacts using Muck Rack by referencing specific works or commenting on a subject that the contact cares about, which has resulted in more effective pitching than cold email blasts to an extensive list.

Pros

Muckrack makes it easy to create specific, tailored pitches to appropriate media contacts. It's so helpful that it's not just name, title, and contact info - it provides examples of recent journalism that writer has done, and specific beats that they focus on. This makes it easy to figure out how to pitch them from an angle that will resonate, and connect with media contacts on a personal level.

Cons

The UA could be simplified a little bit - looking at campaign searches can be a bit overwhelming when a bunch of less specific results show up.

Possibly a viable all-in-one alternative for media lists and coverage reporting

The process of evaluating and deploying Muck Rack is relatively easy. The problem arises when you realize that results and information output are maddeningly inconsistent.

Pros

The user interface is superb and very intuitive. Results are displayed in an aesthetically pleasing format. Eager, but friendly salespeople, unlike some of the competition. No hard sell; they really demonstrated that they wanted to earn our business.

Cons

First and foremost, it's an all or nothing proposition. You can't buy access on an a la carte basis. You either get everything or nothing. That's a huge turnoff. Muck Rack is inconsistent with its contact’s emails and especially phone numbers in comparison to the competition. There have been many instances where MR only provides the outlet’s news desk phone number while the main competitor's software is able to provide the contact’s direct number. MR also does not have very many hyperlocal media outlets while the competition does.

Reasons for Switching to Muck Rack

Our team has become frustrated with some of the lack of functionality with the existing products we were using. Some people have had good experiences with Muck Rack so we decided to make the move. Time will tell whether that was the right decision.

December 2021

Ashley from Your Brandista

December 2021

One of the most highly recommended media-monitoring platforms that was a no-brainer decision!

Pros

The best feature outside of the main selling points of Muck Rack is the quick updates they make to the contacts in a media list if there were bouncebacks or missing information. This is a big plus!

Cons

The only update I feel could be improved so far is ensuring that there is at least one contact found in every outlet that can be searched in the search criteria. I've come across a few podcasts located in the outlet's search criteria with no contact available.

Reasons for Choosing Muck Rack

I chose Muck Rack over alternative products due to their high recommendation from other PR professionals in the space.

Henry from WHMC LLC dba WEHOville.com

Industry: Online Media

Seriously inaccurate information on Muck Rack, and unresponsive 'customer service'

No one answers the phone :(

Pros

Nothing. The information it conveys is inaccurate

Cons

I publish a popular hyperlocal news website called WEHOville.com. When one does a Google search, MuckRack pops up with stories from WEHOville that lists those who post comments on the stories as their authors. I have complained about this before and it still happens. DO NOT TRUST MUCK RACK!

Adam from e3 Diagnostics

Industry: Medical Devices

Great way to find relevant media outlets

Muck Rack has made it much easier for me to find journalists that cover topics relevant to the products my business offers. I now spend less time searching for the right press contacts and I upset less people because I'm not pitching them stories they have no interest in.

Pros

Muck Rack makes it much easier to find journalists based off what they cover and what their interests are. It's an easy way to save time and make sure your pitches are reaching the right people.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about Much Rack. It is a great software tool for marketing and PR professionals.

Reasons for Choosing Muck Rack

Good price point and large database of press contacts.

Reasons for Switching to Muck Rack

Muck Rack was much cheaper and offered better data.

Diana from Save the Children

A great tool for assisting with outreach to journalists

I love that this software is based around Twitter. This gives you real time information to understand what journalists are talking about as well as seeing what they are sharing, what have they written, how they like to be pitched, etc.

Pros

I like that this software allows for relationship building instead of cold pitching. Journalist can also build a profile on Muckrack and upload articles they've written , and fill out a bio. There is also the capability to search by beat, publication (though not all publications are represented) as well as country. This is extremely useful when trying to connect with foreign media.

Cons

If a journalist you are trying to reach out to doesn't have a twitter page, or doesn't keep their twitter updated it won't help you. Also, not all publications are represented, I have also searched for several journalists' information (knowing definitively they work at said outlet) only to find no information.The other problem I have noticed is in exporting. Some times the tweets don't export you in the reports I create. That's really annoying. A few flaws but overall I would still highly recommend.

Jacqueline from ChicExecs

Will never switch back!

I have really enjoyed using this platform. The customer service is impeccable and has helped my team multiple times.

Pros

I like that you can create targeted contact lists easily. The contacts are relevant and you can connect with them personally.

Cons

I would like to be able to edit my email body with images. Being able to wrap text would be a game-changer.

Reasons for Switching to Muck Rack

The Contacts were not regularly updated on Cision.

Eric from New York City Bar Association

Muck Rack is the Best in Class

With so many reporters changing outlets and beats, Muck Rack seems to do a great job keeping track of everybody and giving you an accurate glimpse into what they are reporting on now, in real time. That just makes your lists better. I've found their customer service to be really responsive.

Pros

Muck Rack is beautifully designed with the user experience in mind. I've never found it so easy to search for topics, reporters and editors, and to build and manage media lists. They've figured out ways to minimize the number of required steps to complete a process, and to present info in a way that's easy to view and use. They are constantly tweaking with minor, thoughtful improvements that add up for the overall experience.

Cons

I really have no complaints about Muck Rack.

Reasons for Switching to Muck Rack

I just found Muck Rack to be better designed, more useful, and better priced than its competitors.

Best solution for finding media contacts

Pros

We use this database to find proper reporters to pitch to. They include contacts for all over the world.

Cons

For the most part, Muck Rack does a good job of updating when reporters change jobs but there are times where the emails are old and don't work.

Muck Rack is a great service for boutique public relations firms

From the very beginning I took the demo our goal was to get the service. Muck Rack has saved us so much time. We were wary because we had subscribed to so many services before. We need to keep track of what freelancers are writing about since a lot of print publications have reduced their staff. Their staff is very helpful in working with us to set up alerts and update the contacts.

Pros

We are a public relations firm that specializes in hospitality and lifestyle clients. Most of our contacts are freelancers. Muck Rack was made for us! We can keep up our contacts are writing about and easily pitch our clients to the right person.

Cons

I wish they had a clipping services to go along with the coverage report. Some of our clients still like to see their clips to show their investors, management, etc.

Nancy from Los Alamos National Laboratory

Industry: Research

Very useful!

Very helpful tool for doing my job.

Pros

I like being able to look up info on reporters and their work, and developing media lists and sending pitches through them is very simple.

Cons

Sometimes reporters I'd like to reach are not listed or I have trouble with their email addresses.

Simple, fast, easy, basic

Pros

Easily access links and information. It has links to social, articles, and emails that you can gather quickly.

Cons

It is not as descriptive as some competitors and is lacking some more advanced features. It does not have as deep as a database as well, and could use a refresh.

Madelyn from Techwood Consulting

Unparalleled media database and pr software

Easy access to up-to-date journalist contact information (sometimes even media outlet websites do not have up to date contact info and that's really frustrating), establishing relationships with journalists takes time - by journalists in one place, Muckrack shortens this time by having everything you need in one place. Also, I can create my own media lists for clients in MuckRack and make notes about each journalist (that the jouranlist will not see)

Pros

I love that this software connects you with so many publications and journalists throughout the world. We have clients in many different industries so the variety of publications and journalists is a must have for building brand awareness and doing outreach. You can also email and pitch to journalists directly from Muckrack which is very helpful. Overall, I really like this software and the filters I can use to find the perfect outlet/journalist to reach out to.

Cons

It'd be nice to see the most active journlists/ columnists for each media outlet. Also, it'd be great if the software tracked the number of pitches to each outlet and I could set some kind of "pitch alert" that tells me to followup if they haven't responded.

Tracy from Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation

Great Way to Keep Track of Journalists Ongoings

Pros

I love how Muckracj compiles the most up to date information about a journalist. It’s very helpful for publicists in determining what individuals beats are.

Cons

At this moment there is nothing in particular that I dislike. I believe the platform is very helpful!

Criz from Publicize & Co.

Excellent tool

Pros

MuckRack is easy to use. I find the interface rather fast.

Cons

Inaccuracies in the contact information. I'd like the lists/export options to be easier to access.

Megan from Peerless-AV

Easy to Use & Helpful

Using this product has changed our entire media monitoring experience in the best possible way. I love how they incorporate social media monitoring as this is a huge part of the modern PR experience. It's incredibly easy to find journalists and quickly find all their social profiles as well.

Pros

The intuitive nature of social monitoring.

Cons

It's less focused on print media.

Muck Rack is my favorite tool for managing today's fast news cycles

Pros

The best part about Muck Rack is how I can manage and evaluate news articles quickly. I can also get a report on the campaigns that my team launches.

Cons

I don't have many negative things to say about this product, it meets all of my business needs and was easy to learn how to use.

Loma from Bebop Revision

Industry: Public Relations and Communications

Integral Part of My Social Media Approach!

Pros

I love that it integrates so well with Twitter. In being part of a grassroots media campaign for the re-release of a cult classic film, it has helped me to connect with specific journalists who tweet & specialize in film related article and specific related audiences. I also find the journalist contact info extremely helpful.

Cons

Though I love it for its connection to/with Twitter, that same connection doesn't work at all, if said journalist doesn't "do" Twitter. That in and of itself proves to be a drawback.

STACEY from Marketing and Advertising

Great for solo PR pros

I'm going to continue using Muck Rack but it isn't as robust as some of the other media tools/databases.

Pros

It saves me lots of time and I'm able to easily monitor a journalist's social media activity if he/she is on Twitter. I also love being able to quickly create reports.

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to find small town, local reporters in small niche industries, especially if they're not on Twitter. I usually have to use another media database.

If you work in PR, it's a time saver

Pros

Easy to research journalists, and determine proper story angles to pitch. Keeps info organized

Cons

Not all publications are in here, and if the journalist doesn't use twitter, it's not as helpful

Good, but not the best PR software out there

Pros

It's relatively easy to use, and anyone with a few years' PR experience should be able to navigate the site well.

Cons

It's certainly not the Cadillac of PR software, and I used it for a few months before I just stopped using it altogether. I don't think they update their media lists as frequently as some of the others.