All Customer.io Reviews

Giovanna

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

The best software for Customer Marketing E-mails

Customer.io is one of my favorite tools at work, so easy to use that I don't even have to teach new people on my team on how to use it, they just do. I check it every day and use it as the main tool in communicating with our clients about new feature releases, new products, important changes in our software, customer marketing etc. Also it's our main tool for onboarding new users through email campaigns that are very easy to setup, with a lot of functionalities that helps us filtering the customers and offering a personalized experience. I really recommend it

PROS

I really like how easy it is to setup an email campaign and automate it according to users different attributes. We have a lot of onboarding campaigns going on in all languages and it is the best software we have with this kind of funcionality. Also, broadcasts are very simple to create and easy to track. The UX/UI of the platform is perfect, definitely the best one we have among the e-mail senders we use.

CONS

The template creation is very limited, forcing us to use other softwares and exporting the HTML code to customer.io. Also, the contact database is kind of messy, not very easy to find people, organizing contacts or filtering them.

Beth

Consumer Electronics, 51-200 employees

Reviewed June 2023

I've been a Customer.io user for ~3 years and would highly recommend it to growing startups

PROS

Customer.io has evolved so much since I started using it! In the beginning, we had to use a lot of workarounds like sending leads via Zapier but they've made huge quality-of-life improvements. We can either use our data connectors to facilitate lead management but they also have a form connector that makes this process a breeze.I love how easily Customer.io connects to our existing data structure and makes it super easy to break down data silos across our suite of tools. The integrations are really easy to use!The campaign builder is super flexible and allows us to not only send marketing comms to our users but also to clean up data and use it to automate basic tasks within the platform. Emails are very easy to setup, especially with the ability to save rows and use snippets. This saves us time when creating new content. We also frequently use the display conditions for email as we have different offerings for users in Canada VS the US. This helps us really customize the content to fit the users' needs.

CONS

While Customer.io does offer SMS/mobile messaging, it would be great if they integrated with more companies so we had more options here.

Reasons for switching to Customer.io

While we're mainly an e-commerce company, we also have a mobile app that is really important in the user journey. Klaviyo worked well for ecomm-specific engagements and tracking but wasn't built to support to in-depth customer tracking we needed from our app. We switched to Customer.io because it was a cost-effective option that allowed us to track both transactional events as well as user behaviours within our app and marketing site.

Shilpa

Internet, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed September 2019

Email automation tool

I don’t find this product very easy to use but it’s one of the best so far I’ve used in the email automation space.

PROS

I liked that I could run my drip campaigns on this tool. The complexity of the drips could be managed.

CONS

It requires a dedicated developer which might not always be possible. There should be a few automated codes.

Drew

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Reviewed June 2023

Review of Customer.io from avid user

We love it. It surpasses all of the cheaper options and plugs into our product in a way more efficient way. I regularly recommend it to friends in similar sized businesses.

PROS

Functionality is really great. It is easy to use, and the flow of setting up campaigns and broadcasts makes perfect sense. I've used the drag and drop as well as uploaded HTML into different campaigns. Testing is good, the omni channel approach all in one section is super helpful. It's built like a marketing manager had a say but a developer and engineer understood all the actual requirements.

CONS

Analytics and the reporting, as mentioned previously. The conversion rate should be more adjustable to show people who entered journeys and converted vs just how many emails were sent and conversions. It makes changing up campaigns a little tougher, but still doable with exports and managing the analytics manually.

Reason for choosing Customer.io

This was recommended by a colleague who had used it previously, and we bought in right away.

Reasons for switching to Customer.io

Too many different little tools when everything is built into Customer.io

Wendy

Internet, 11-50 employees

Highly recommend!

The customer success and support team at CustomerIO have been a massive factor in my experience. I cannot express my appreciation enough. They are prompt, amiable, and always willing to go the extra mile whenever I reach out to them. I really value the CSM assigned to our account. He has not only taught me how to use Customer.io, but he's also doubled as a strategic partner in helping me bring my ideas to life through Customer.io.

PROS

I find the product to be user-friendly and enjoyable. The campaign builder is my favorite feature as it allows me to create intricate journey flows with ease. The 'wait until' action block has been a game-changer for me as it has minimized the need for engineering resources.

CONS

I've been using Customer.io for 6 months now and honestly, I don't have any complaints. Seems like for every issue I've had, the support team is dedicated to unblocking me. There are always ways to improve a product, but in terms of important game-changing features, they really thought of everything.

Reason for choosing Customer.io

Cost and level of support

Reasons for switching to Customer.io

Customer.io saved us money and engineering resources. It was easier to use at our current size.

Kar Wing

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 employees

Smooth experience

Extremely positive

PROS

The UI/UX is very smooth and clean, and customer service is spectacular. As someone who has used many ESPs, it's very important to me that I can work smoothly without interruptions. In my career, CIO stands alone in UI/UX among competitors. Our account representative is always available for help and consultations, and is always bringing value to our relationship.

CONS

It would be nice if there was an out-of-the-box solution for opt-in forms, but it integrates well with our third party app so this isn't a big deal. What they lack here is completely made up for in the quality of their platform and their integrations

Reasons for switching to Customer.io

CIO does everything we need, integrates better with our tech stack, and has a much better user experience.

Kate

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Reviewed June 2023

Very powerful tool for everything related to email marketing

I'm happy with the tool and feel confident sending transactional emails or marketing newsletters.

PROS

The platform has a steep learning curve, but once you get past that phase, it's truly powerful. Things that seemed impossible with other email clients are feasible with Customer.io. The drag and drop editor is also much better and runs much more smoothly than others I've used.

CONS

I'd say the biggest con is that it's a bit pricey. It can also be a bit overwhelming at first because there are so many features, but you just have to push through the learning curve.

Reasons for switching to Customer.io

Customer.io is a much more complete solution that allowed our marketing team to have more autonomy when it comes to designing email flows and newsletters.

Reviewed June 2022

Awesome marketing platform!

It's great and does everything we need it to!

PROS

The automations are the best part of the software. We can easily create any type of campaign and manipulate it for our needs.

CONS

It would be cool if we could just duplicate a workspace entirely with all the segments and campaigns instead of recreating everything. Another thing that would be cool is being able to do a dynamic wait. Or have a queue type of system built-in for webhooks.

Reason for choosing Customer.io

It auto-populated the customer attributes when we linked up Segment. It also had better logic control.

Jeremy

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed January 2023

The marketing campaign tool for any startup, scaleup or e-commerce that want a reliable tool to work

PROS

The UI/UX is really great and intuitive. It comes with a lot of features and different channels. It can be used by many different types of people, from not knowing how to code at all, to more advanced users. Enabling complex possibilities.

CONS

Setting up our dedicated preference center required quite some time and resources. Plus it did break native campaign tracking as well as the native unsubscribe button. But they are coming with a new feature on this side really soon.The second pain is focused on data analysis. There is quite some interesting data point, but it can quickly get tough when you try to extract specific behavior or data point. They know about it and are working also on this big part of the product.

Reason for choosing Customer.io

The core product strength, the great UX, a comprehensive and competitive pricing

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Used less than 6 months

Reviewed March 2016

Great Customer Email Tool - Content Creation Needs Improvement

We have been using Customer.io for nearly three months, and it has revolutionized the way our SaaS business communicates with its customers. From multi-part onboarding of new customers to re-stimulation of lapsed users to announcements of new features, Customer.io has been a dream come true for our subscription business. Building a sequence ("workflow") of emails, triggered by a particular event (like SIGN-UP or UPGRADE or CANCELLATION) is a snap. And applying it to individual customer segments is easy, though you'd better brush up on your logic (AND/OR/NOT etc.) before you construct a more exotic segment. So, too, is the ease of constructing one-time mailings ("newsletters") to an entire group of customers meeting a certain set of criteria. Once the segments are defined, sending newsletters is quite straightforward. In this regard, Customer.io runs circles around MailChimp, which we used to use for this purpose. Integration with a software product like ours is quite straightforward, and Customer.io offers a nice API for updating customer profiles and posting events for those customers. Customer.io currently falls short in the content creation department. Its text editor doesn't measure up to the rest of the application, and requires quite a bit of hand-manipulation of HTML to get newsletters and emails looking just the way you'd like them. Getting email text to wrap around a right-justified image, for example, requires knowledge of and hand-coding in HTML. And even then, the HTML produced by the text editor is not clean. Missing, too, are functions like being able to duplicate a workflow in order to launch a slightly different communication flow to a different customer segment. Onboarding customers to two different product tiers, for example, requires that the entire workflow be created from scratch for each segment, rather than allowing the user to duplicate the workflow and make changes to suit the second segment. Those shortcomings aside, Customer.io is a tool that shows a great deal of promise for any company that wants to communicate on a regular basis with its customers, especially when those communications need to be sequenced over a customer lifecycle. For a recurring-revenue business, where ongoing communication is key to retention and referral, a tool like Customer.io is essential to success.

PROS

- Customer data base is very flexible, and easy to keep up to date via API - Very powerful segmentation tool that can use customer profile fields, events, and even interaction with email to segment customers for subsequent communication - Easy, intuitive construction and management of triggered, multi-part communications workflows - Attractive visual reporting of emails sent, opened, clicked - Reasonably priced, automatic scaling of pricing based on actual volume used (emails, customer profiles) - Built-in A/B testing of email copy

CONS

- Text editor lacks power features; requires HTML in order to optimize emails - Minimal pre-packaged layouts; layout design requires knowledge of CSS - Lack of workflow cloning or replication creates unnecessary work

Nessim

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2022

Great Tool for Marketing Automation

Great tool. Not made for beginners but if you are willing to spend time on masterising, I highly recommend. I have been using it in several companies for the past 5 years.

PROS

- Easy to use - Integrate with Segment - Constant updates

CONS

- Could be complicated if it's your first Marketing Automation tool but you get the hand of it quickly

Reviewed June 2023

This is my main email platform now

PROS

Customer.io is an excellent email marketing platform. I made the switch from a lesser-known (and cheaper) platform that I had been using for a few years. I can clearly see the difference now, and I'm happy to pay more for the ability to engage my customers more effectively and access a wider range of marketing features, all in one place.

CONS

Customer.io is not yet the ideal platform for my projects. One limitation, for instance, is its restricted template language.It also lacks the ability to filter and count incoming events and dynamically insert these values into emails.

Artur

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

Reviewed June 2023

A solid product for companies that need something more!

PROS

- lots of needful integrations, e.g. BigQuery, Google Sheets- a simple to use, yet highly sophisticated tool for Email Marketing and Marketing Automation- Push notifications support- in-app messages support- webhooks - possibility of advanced segmentation of users by their attributes and behavior

CONS

- slightly limited drang&drop email editor

Rachelle

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

customer.io for saas

PROS

customer.io is easy to use and very versatile. It has met all of our email marketing needs for both our web and mobile app.

CONS

customer.io has a bit of a learning curve at first with some of the advanced/pro features like customizing email messages, deploying api triggered messages, etc.... but the interface is very easy to use and when I had questions I could always get a hold of support for help.

Christie

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Reviewed May 2023

Would recommend for other health tech start ups

PROS

Easy to use! SSO is great. Very user friendly and support is very kind.

CONS

The HIPAA version was very expensive to sign for a small start up

Sebastian

Insurance, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2019

Top Email and Push automation software

Overall great email and push notification automation software, that constantly develops.

PROS

Customer.io is great since it easily allows you to set up and automate promotional emails , but also allows to run transactional emails at the same time. This is a huge advantage over most email automation products, b/c you can trigger a promotional email without interfering with your system emails.

CONS

Unlike Pardot or Marketo, Customer.io doesn't have a solid automation builder. The builder is nice, but you can never see the tree of emails in a flow chart. It can easily confuse the user as you have to have a third-party software to organize the set up. It's highly recommended to put one full-time employee behind it.

Chelsea

Internet, 11-50 employees

Reviewed May 2023

Easy to learn tool, amazing support

PROS

Despite never using Customer.io before, it was relatively easy to learn. Some features have a learning curve for sure, but I'm always able to figure them out plus the support from our CSM (shout out to [sensitive content hidden]!) and the deliverability team has been amazing. So grateful for them!

CONS

I'd love to have more customization in the email builder, and the ability to add a drop-down question in the subscription preferences center.

Matt