• Pros

• "It is easy to use, tracks inventory and sales and pretty much everything I need it to do. It also has great reports."

• "I like this tool because I can easily manage the stock level of the inventory. Very efficient in handling inventories."

• "This system has depth.. It allows you to track your numbers with numerous reports."

• Cons

• "A little pricey and theres a bit of a learning curve, but other than those things the product is great. "

• "It was costly, and installation and training were a headache but done professionally."

• "Not good for large businesses but it can improve to use by everyone. Overall I can organize my inventories on time."

Browse Microsoft Retail Management System Reviews

Marie Kris from SAMC

Effective Microsoft Retail Management System

Pros

Easily manage the stock level of the items. As a small enterprises this software is very efficient and effective. Very convenience to small and medium enterprises.

Cons

As of now, the only problem that I see in this software is the price but this is very helpful to us.

Elizabeth from Raffinata

I have really enjoyed using MS Dynamics RMS POS but am sad to hear it is no longer supported

Pros

Cons

It is no longer supported and so if the system ever permanently fails/crashes I am in trouble. I thought I had permanently lost it this past year, but thankfully we were able to get it up and going again on our own.

sam from Evolution Motors

MS retail system

Pros

I have been using Microsoft RMS for seven months. Overall, the product is really good. It is better because of the Microsoft partner that I use for support. The software is very flexible, if you know how to use it. Our partner has been able to tweek the software to meet almost every need. We use almost every possible feature. We have a website and ship internationally, four retail stores, open house accounts for customers, use gift cards and transfers from one store to another. We have had a few issues; however, our partner has helped us work out most of them so far and is still working on the few that we have. He has customized this to meet our needs. Out of the box, I don't think we would get the same results.

Cons

It's limited in what it can do. Basic functions are omitted, and if you want something fixed, most of the time they say that cannot be done because it is hard-coded. It crashes once in a while, and even after install, they still cannot get credit voucher to load a year later.

Laidine from TTPC

Great Tool

Pros

This software can be use for small and medium enterprises. It can easily manage the inventories of the business. I can save time using this tool.

Jomarie from URC

Helpful and Easy to use

Pros

I like this product because it is very helpful in handling and monitoring of inventory. It is easy to set up. Overall this product is so nice and good.

Cons

So far, I can't see any cons about this product because it is very helpful to small and medium enterprises.

gino from tfpg

dynamics retail

Pros

Features, functions and integration with ecommerce, banking, and qb financial increasing accuracy and reducing efforts in a secure manner

Cons

Dynamics retail rms is end of like, but is a very stable solution. With end of life new development has been halted.

CYNTHIA from BARGAIN BARN

MICROSOFT RMS

WE CHANGED OVER TO RETAIL HERO A FEW MONTHS AGO AND HAVE FOUND THE RMS PROGRAM WORKED MUCH BETTER FOR US. WOULD LOVE TO SEE RMS RETURN IN PLACE OF RMH.

Pros

WE FOUND IT EASY TO USE AND GAVE ACCURATE REPORTING.

Cons

WE WERE MOSTLY HAPPY WITH ALL PARTS OF THE PROGRAM

November 2011

Kyle from Natureally Healthy

November 2011

Naturally Healthy is a new retail store in downtown Philadelphia. We specialize in everything all-natural & organic. Including cosmetics, skincare, shower & bath, aromatherapy, whole food vitamins & supplements, candles, and more. We were looking for a POS system with ease of use, efficient reporting, reliability, and the right price. Because we are a new store and didn't have the experience, time or money to make a bad choice...we needed help narrowing our choices and Software Advice made that happen. Software Advice couldn't have made shopping a POS any easier. Within days all of our choices were calling us to demo their product. After narrowing our search to a handful, a few conversations and demos helped us to decide on Microsoft Retail Management System (RMS). Implementation of Microsoft Dynamics RMS couldn't have been any easier! The software was installed on the hardware before arriving to the store. We plugged the cords and had a 3 hour walk-thru of the entire system and were up and running 3 weeks after purchasing. Training for new employees on Microsoft Dynamics RMS literally takes minutes before they are ringing a customer out. The reporting has been all that we expected. If we had to manufacture a complaint, it would be creating custom reporting isn't as easy as advertised. In conclusion, Microsoft Dynamics RMS is a winner and Software Advice is the right component before making such a big decision.

Jason from Kilgore's Medical Pharmacy

Only use if you like software crashing

Pros

The software is easy to use for front line staff and is simple to train. Robust reporting capabilities. From the admin side, it does 95% of the things we'd like it to do.

Cons

Crashing, crashing, crashing. We've had the software in place for over 7 years and it's been one of the highest areas of complaints from employees because of the frequency of crashing. The system freezes, won't respond, and then is forced to restart. In retail, checkout speed affects both profitability and customer satisfaction, so adding 2 to 3 minutes of "I'm sorry, my register just crashed..." isn't helpful.

Andrew from Lenz Arts, Inc.

Long in the tooth

RMS is very stable. I've never seen it crash in the 4 years we've had it in our retail store. BUT, it's on track to be discontinued by Microsoft and it shows. They only have made minor tweaks and no serious updates since we got it. The interface is "1980s" in places and some reports you'd expect to be included are not. Times you'd expect to drill down, you can't.

Pros

Super stable Reasonably priced Somewhat flexible Standard SQL database

Cons

Being discontinued Old interface and graphics Marginal support from Microsoft Needs broader selection of standard reports Can't always drill down when you want to

Mary Grace from HPI

Easy Managing System

Pros

Cons

Good for small and medium enterprises only. But overall very helpful to us. They have a little issue on the features but still works good.

Mardy from NCDC

Manageable Microsoft RMS

Pros

Using this tool I can easily manage and organized the stock level of my business. The features and functions is good and very user friendly.

Cons

A little bit pricey but very helpful for small and medium businesses. Good for reporting of inventory.

Catherine from Davids Tea

Love this POS Syste

over all this was the easiest POS system i have ever used in my retail career!

Pros

it is very easy to use, opening in the morning and closing at night everything is right there all in order of the buttons you press so its virtually impossible to not do it right.

Cons

the discount section is small and a bit confusing, i wish there would be a way to categorize it like all 5-50% off in one button and all GWP buttons , i think it would make it a bit easier to navigate during busy times

Mazen from Saudi Naval Support Co.

Industry: Building Materials

Its A Microsoft - Nothing to add

Great Software for a successful business

Pros

fully loaded of features covering all needs of small to large business, reliable and very stable its a pieces of Art

Cons

no observed cons, could be more used friendly by adding help popup window which will make control and handling much better

Mary Love from JWS

Nice software indeed!

Pros

As a medium-size business, this software really helps in terms of monitoring and scheduling purposes which is efficient in every way.

Cons

Having trouble when multiple tabs are open. Not sure if my PC or just the app is not intended for multi-tasking.

Olivia Marie from Vishay

Good for starters

Pros

As a newly entry with this kind of business, this software helps me a lot managing the business when it comes to the operations and some finished goods monitoring.

Cons

So far I don't see or encounter any issue/problem with this application or software and hope it will remain like this for the succeeding days and weeks.

Ela Almira from Advance Computer Forms Inc

Manageable Project Through Microsoft Retail Management System

Pros

l like the most of Microsoft Retail Management System is the reliability of reports and status updates of the existing projects to monitor

Cons

aside from training that highly required to be able to maximize the use or functionality of Microsoft Retail Management System, it's really worth it.

Joshua from Education

MRMS Review

Pros

Does everything you would expect. Great for moderately sized companies. Tons of functionality and very easy to use

Jesus from Dio Implant Philippines Inc

Efficient Inventory Management tool

Pros

using Microsoft Retail Management System play a very important role in keeping stock level of our dentures

Cons

You have to really invest a long period of time for training or learning its features for you to be able to maximize it's functionality

March 2015

Gessin from WeAreWholesale.com

March 2015

Microsoft RMS has far exceeded our expectations!

Pros

The best part of the Microsoft RMS is how easy it is to set up and start using. Within an hour we had everything registered and running without any issues. We called support to assist with a custom install and they were extremely quick and precise.

Cons

This is not recommended for enterprise businesses. Small and mid-size is what benefits the best. That would be our only complaint - the scalability of the product.

Kevin from Jollibee Worldwide

Industry: Wholesale

I recommend it to everyone

Pros

I have used many other stock control software but this one is the best so far. Not only it lets you monitor your inventory level but as well as sales velocity of the stocks you have.

Cons

I do not have any issue with this product and I can see the effort of the creator in the updates that we install.

Skyler from Roc1Stock1

Microsoft is amazing

Pros

It is so user friendly and easy to manage by workload within my store. I would recommend to anyone. Cool product.

Cons

I really have no cons in this product. I love Microsoft and use many of their products. Seamless experience.

beveryly from Advance Computer Forms Inc.

Industry: Wholesale

A highly recommended software for retail management

Pros

* very efficient to use in handling and monitoring of stocks * useful in identifying stocks that is priority or urgent need to re-order

Cons

* except the significant training you need to obtain first prior to use it effectively, the product is very efficient.

June 2013

Dana from Winner's Circle Horse Supply, LLC

June 2013

I have been using Microsoft RMS for seven months. Overall the product is really good. It is better because of the Microsoft partner that I use for support. The software is very flexible, if you know how to use it. Our partner has been able to tweek the software to meet almost every need. We use almost every possible feature. We have a website and ship internationally, four retail stores, open house accounts for customers, use gift cards and transfers from one store to another. We have had a few issues; however, our partner has helped us work out most of them so far and is still working on the few that we have. He has customized this to meet our needs. Out of the box, I don't think we would get the same results.

July 2016

Linda from Once upon a time, LLC

July 2016

I have been a user of Microsoft RMS POS since 2008.

Pros

Cons

I wish the system would allow you to merge customers and history. I would like to be able to delete old inventory items from the database without deleting history. I am disappointed it has not upgraded to a cloud version. I have two stores and even if I purchase the program to link the two stores, it is not in the cloud.

Gideon from Information Technology and Services

Industry: Photography

Great software

Pros

This software really made managing my shop very easy. It has great features and very user friendly. No tedious work involved in managing your shop with this software

Cons

I have not face any challenge or problem with this software. Its really good to use with no other stress.

Dindo from Magnifico Jeans Inc

Supply Chain Connectors

it's very helpful and easy to use.

Pros

I like the most with this product is that it give sales feedback instantly, it also give information regarding customers and inventory.

Cons

So far, I don't see any issue with this product, but there is still a room for improvement on some features.

Karla Mae from Team pacific

Nice indeed

Pros

Good for business starters. It is easier to monitor the in and out of goods. You can also see the sales velocity.

Cons

As a new user, no glitch being encountered so far and hopes nothing will in the future. Thank you for a good software.

Pieter from Albert Heijn

Microsoft Retail Management System Review

Pros

Microsoft Retail Management system is a very nice piece of software, it does everything exactly the way you'd expect

Cons

Sometimes the program isn't as responsive as i'd like, but it never crashes, it just stutters sometimes

June 2014

Greg from Mr. Pet's

1.5

1.5

June 2014

Microsoft RMS

Pros

Like all Microsoft products, it's not great and they typically do an improvement every 4 years which makes it worse.

Cons

Basically, it's an expensive program that does spreadsheets. The interface is not terrible, but you cannot customize it. You cannot increase font size because it is hard coded. We want retail prices to appear on the receiving reports, but that costs a considerable extra fee. We were told in the meetings about purchasing the software that it could do these things and more at the price we were paying. We showed the reseller our existing program so he knew exactly what we needed. Microsoft will charge you yearly update fees, but not actually update anything useful to you. If one till doesn't work, the other two won't work either because they share the same database.

July 2012

Ilya from Bellmore Wine & Liquor

July 2012

I purchased a liquor store 4 years ago that had an old style cash register. I have some networking background, so I decided to find an easy and reliable POS for my store that I could service myself. I picked Microsoft Dynamics RMS, mostly because of the name. I figured, Microsoft is not going out of business any time soon! I purchased 2 licenses from a dealer built 2 of my own systems to work in tandem. I struggled with the setup, but with some help over the phone I was able to set it up. Within just a few days I was able to set up peripheral devices. It is supposed to sync up with QuickBooks, that never worked for me. I did have a problem a few years ago with a hardware failure that caused me to work with support over the phone to retrieve the lost data, since restoring the backup file didn't work. I would recommend this software to anyone looking for new POS, but make sure that the system is easy to backup and restore on a new computer.

Cathy from CLS Inc.

Good Going

Pros

It works well, is simple to follow, and is backed up by Microsoft. What's not to like?!

Cons

This product was a bit pricey for a small business, but it works better for a mid-sized business looking to get ahead of their finances.

Ajay from WinServ

My Review for MRMS

Pros

The support is good, and there have been no issues so far.

Cons

Nothing. Everything looks good so far. I never had a reason to dislike it as of now.

Matt from SNSI

December 2014

Simple, easy to use; pretty regular updates

Pros

It's easy to use; the vendor is stable and should be around for a long time. The product is solid.

Cons

Sometimes, updates are slow to be released based on the number of customers the vendor supports on this platform.

Michael from BU

Industry: Sporting Goods

Review of Microsoft retail system

Pros

I trust the Microsoft name. They have good support. The system works well with our system and is easy to use.

Cons

It's expensive.Tthere are many other cheaper options out there that we may eventually consider.

john from Cascade

Industry: Industrial Automation

manager IT

Pros

This is a great product, and it's cost effective. The vendor is very helpful and has good reputation.

Cons

There is not much we dont like about this product. One draw back is the user-friendliness.

Marc from Counseling Associates

Reliable POS Solutions

Pros

I enjoy Microsoft products, so the Retail Management System was immediately implemented when needed for my side project.

Cons

Nothing because Microsoft is a reputable company with advanced computing products.

Sharon from wow

Review of Microsoft Retail Management System

Pros

The product and vendor of the Microsoft Management System is very reliable and flexible.

Cons

It requires training to use it optimally.

Sam from YLF (USA) Inc

Retail System Review

Pros

It's easy to use and is user-friednly to operate.

Cons

It is hard to do backup, and hard to restore the data from the backup drive. The vendor is not helpful on this.

Brian from Madison Sales LLC

MRMS Review

Pros

Ease of setup and operation, including responsive support.

Cons

Cost could be better per user, since Microsoft is so large RMS is not always seen as a high priority.

Harry from MicroWarranty

December 2014

First time using software of this nature

Pros

It works decently, and support was good, with swift response to our needs.

brian from AuvilleInvest

Business Owner

Pros

It's a good, organized service. It helps me stay on top of things and are organizes my day-to-day.

Cons

Efficiency and speed are key, and I guess the only change would be to always keep up.

Rodrigo from Bola Top Futebol

Industry: Sporting Goods

Very helpful

Pros

Easiness to use the system to be able to organize all the goods, cash flow, etc

Cons

It's not very accessible because of price and also because you cannot find it anywhere.

Joe from Hach

Industry: Industrial Automation

Manage 101

Pros

It works for us in all situations, including new users.

Cons

There were some issues with the start up of the product. Once these were fixed, all is well.

Misha from NBC

December 2014

Solid product; does what it needs to do

Pros

Always reliable. Microsoft is a company you can always trust.

Cons

Nothing, I can always trust Microsoft software to do what I need it to do.

Brian from FIRMA LLC

MS Retail Review

Pros

Trustworthy, current technology, utility of the system

Cons

Abundance of typical Microsoft type glitches and changes.

Karl from Dearbon Inc.

Great Software

Pros

Ease of use. Great user interface. Customizable interface.

Cons

Slow support response. Inadequate troubleshooting assistance.

Benjamin from Style and Form

Industry: Furniture

RMS Review

Pros

I like the low cost per register and recognized brand for support.

Cons

Microsoft did not fully "flesh out" the product - many fields are cumbersome to fill and often records do not transfer to other areas (i.e. POs to customer and vendor records easily or at all).

Alan from MicroWarranty

Microsoft Retain

Pros

It works and they provide decent support whenever we have had problems. Installation was painless and swiftly accomplished when we first purchased this software.

Cons

The cost and overall performance hasn't been up to snuff.

September 2014

Collin from Gateway Church

September 2014

A lot of functionality for the money, but not worth it.

Pros

The interface is easy to understand.

Cons

It is not real-time, has flaws in the database, and service could be better.