What are OpenTable users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using OpenTable software through verified user reviews

1,035 Reviews

• icon"OpenTable offers great customization options for searching through different restaurants. You have the ability to search by neighborhood, occasion and price."
  • icon"Easy to use, love the restaurant suggestions and what’s available now options. Points are great too that can be redeem for gift certificates/cash."
  • icon"Finding a new restaurant and earning points for eating at some of my favorites... what's not to love. Being able to make, modify or cancel reservations without having to call is the best."
  • icon"The only downside to OpenTable is that not every restaurant is a member so you cannot make reservations all in one place nor see all available restaurants to choose from."
  • icon"The program will sometimes glitch and go offline."
  • icon"Never once have I had a problem with this app in booking or reserving a table at a restaurant."

Browse all OpenTable Reviews

• Have you used OpenTable and would like to share your experience with others?

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,019 reviews

Emtiaz

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

June 2022

There is Always a Table with OpenTable!

Ryan

Great reservation booking software

Pros

It has pictures of most restaurants and a large part of their menus. The app is very simple to use and very responsive.

Cons

The points system can be a bit confusing at times

Lee

Super-easy to use

After lots of research, it's one of the best systems out there for restaurants. And great value for money.

Pros

This is great system to manage table bookings for a restaurant, with lots of marketing options. Once it's set up, it takes the hassle out of managing bookings and it's easy to also manually add bookings and block off tables. It's also good for CRM. And there's the option to generate reports and extract data for mailing lists.

Cons

The set up can be quote tricky, but once it's done, it's super-easy to manage.

Reasons for choosing OpenTable

Mainly for their pricing and marketing. More eyeballs on OpenTable than the others.

Eric R.

Industry: Research

OpenTable is great when it is properly configured, but hides too many useful tools

Pros

When OpenTable had a cleaner reservation system, it was excellent. You could book way ahead of time and they had a points-based system that earned you rewards. Sometime a few years back, they lost a lot of their functionality and they seemed to lose their ability to book a lot of restaurants they'd previously had. The rewards system was a big part of my regular use, so I stopped using them as often as a result.

Cons

When there is a reservation option on the listing for a restaurant, it is kind of hidden. This makes very little sense.

Reasons for switching to OpenTable

OpenTable had an incentive program.

Needs frequent use

Pros

Ease of making reservations, but not all restaurants are included

Cons

Needs frequent use to accumulate points. With the onset of the pandemic, we stopped reservations.

Matthew

March 2022

OpenTable

Pros

It is easy to book reservations online without talking to someone on the phone.

Cons

Although Open Table may book a reservation, not all restaurants actually honor these reservations.

Anneliese

Quick and Easy Last Minute Reservations

Pros

I love being able to hop on OpenTable and very quickly see what restaurants have availability and what times. Makes it so easy to pick what time works for us.

Cons

Not sure if its the restaurant rules or OpenTable but often times I will get no results for a party of 2, but when I put in a party of 3- there are open reservations.

Nancy

Easy & quick to book restaurants

easy to use, and convenient!

Pros

I love that I do not have to call the restaurant itself to book reservation, and that I can just log in to Open Table to look for availability

Cons

You do get dinged if you fail to show up several times for your reservations, your account may get locked

The must use app for making restaurant reservations

I love using this app! Booking a reservations takes about 30 seconds total. They follow-up with a confirmation email, as well as emails after your dine, offering the ability to rate the experience for the benefit of the restaurant and other users, and they promptly credit you the points you've earned. The app also lets you input any special occasions you'd like to notate, which is really handy for birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

Pros

The OpenTable app rewards you for making reservations - something you would likely do anyway! Not only that, but it makes the reservation process that much easier. You simply look up the restaurant, instantly see what days/times are available, and in a few clicks, you have your reservation. As soon as your reservation is completed, you earn points for dining. Once your point balance gets high enough (which doesn't take that long if you dine often), you can exchange those points for dining credits, or use them for discounts on hotels, or on flights booked through Kayak! You can supercharge your point earnings by selecting restaurants that have need dates/times that they would like to fill, often earning you 10x the points you would normally earn on a regular reservation.

Cons

The only negative is that not every restaurant is on it. It does have a dominant presence in the industry, so while you may not always find a cafe or coffee shop, a reputable restaurant is usually on the platform.

April 2022

OpenTable – My Main Way of Making Reservations. Great Platform, But Needs More Transparency.

Overall, I love using OpenTable and it's definitely my go-to reservation platform. Whenever I need to make a reservation, OpenTable is always my first choice for a platform!

Pros

I love how easy it is to book reservations to my favorite restaurants. The UI is just beautiful, and it's so easy to navigate, see what times are available, double check the reservation I made, contact restaurants, read menus, see photos, and even change my reservation. I just love the ease of use.

Cons

I least like how, by default, way more data than I knew was being shared with restaurants and marketers. Buried in settings, I figured out how to turn these features off, but I feel like OpenTable is deceptive about how much data is really shared with their business partners, marketers, and restaurants.

Reasons for switching to OpenTable

Resy's platform is honestly very difficult to use. They make it difficult to reserve specific times (you can only search for general times of day, not times), and don't make it clear when there aren't available reservations.

Cynthia

December 2021

OpenTable is the Industry Standard.

My experience as a hostess in a high end jazz club has been great. Once you get the drift of using Open Table, it's easy to use and implement, easy to change tables around and has been an excellent source of information because it stores history on any client that is entered into the system.

Pros

The features most liked are the customer history, ability to bypass the standard programming for a table and put in special requests. I also like the ease of which you can change a floor plan and number the tables to accommodate various special occasion situations. And I like the ability to no-show a client and they receive that response. Also like the ability to enter in special codes like anniversary, birthday, special event, gluten free, etc. This all helps us to give the client a superior experience.

Cons

The system is only as good as what is programmed into it. You have to learn the tricks and tips to move around the Open Table system in order to get past what it tells you upfront.

Grayson

Not worth it unless you are a major chain with 300 seats

Not enough to list. Exposure, but it's limited for smaller companies.

Pros

It allows you to assign tables in the restaurant as they come in and shoes a fairly good job of tracking several metrics like turn time, server cover counts, etc. It also has ways to advertise and draw in customers who may not know about you.

Cons

It's impossible to compete. With the difficulty in finding a restaurant as a customer it translates to moe exposure for larger chain restaurants with budgets to throw at open table. Also, it's pricey. The cost per guest that books is unreasonable and you still have to pay more to advertise. It's just not worth it in my opinion. That are cheaper methods available that focus on phone number advertising as opposed to email (because who opens email nowadays). There are text message options with open table but they are buried and not effective.

Shivam

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Quick Way to Book a Table at your favorite restaurant

Overall experience has been good. I have booked several dates (dinner and lunch) using this application.

Pros

Open Table is one of the best ways to reserve a table with a click of a few buttons on the app, hassle free, no phone calls needed. The application is designed nicely to view options, help book the right restaurant, view pictures, how costly the meal will be as well as the timing of the reservation. The app also provides suggestions based on the area you are looking to dine at. Another good feature is that Open table is available nationally and internationally as well. The app also allows to read reviews from other people which helps make a more confident decision before reserving a particular restaurant. The application also allow you to place orders for the to-go/take-out option by phone call.

Cons

No real con that I have experienced so far. The recommendation will be to include as many restaurants as possible

Jenna

May 2022

Keeping both parties hoenst

Overall I think Open Table was a great an powerful tool that has changed the restaurant industry.

Pros

I have used this software as a hostess and has a restaurant goer. As a restaurant-goer, I enjoy this software as it allows ease of making reservations. Instead of calling restaurants for availability Open Table allows you to easily see time slots available. On the other hand, as a former server and hostess, Open Table automatically populated any reservations made. Further it allowed you to enter and maintain regular customers in the system. Open table greatly helped me do my job in estimating wait times and maintaining reservations.

Cons

Open Table is a tool, not a crystal ball. While it greatly helped me in my job as a hostess, sometimes wait times were off due to people lingering longer or unforeseen circumstances occurring. This cause people to show up to their reservations and having a slight wait. On the other hand, as a user you are able to block Open table from allowing more reservations in the event things get really backed up.

Mu

LOVE using OpenTable to make restaurant reservations

I would strongly recommend OpenTable. It makes making restaurant reservations a breeze. I think it's much better compared to other apps alike (such as Resy).

Pros

OpenTable is a a great website/app for making reservations. They allow you to notify the restaurant of special occasions (birthday, anniversary etc.) and also let you invite other guests in your party. It's easy to make, modify or cancel reservations. It works integrated with my Google calendar app so if I'm making a reservation ahead of time I have a second reminder in my calendar app. I really enjoy their rewards program too.

Cons

I don't have any real complaints about OpenTable, only I wish their network was larger. OpenTable is well connected in major cities (I use it when I travel too) but many restaurants I found in small cities/towns are not part of the network.

Alhassan

On work trips, I launch OpenTable even before contacting my airport pickup service

New York can be a very busy and intimidating place for first time visitors. And my experience was no different; my first night out exploring was hellish. I had figured I could easily do a walk-in to any of the restaurants I had spotted on my way to my Air BnB and get to enjoy a meal -- well, they were all booked; and I had to settle for a pizza delivery service. God bless my hosts for stepping in the next day and introducing me to OpenTable for my first booking. I have never dined any other way on any my trips to cities served by OpenTable.

Pros

The best thing about making reservations on OpenTable is the vast array of dining locations available to you. We are able to easily find niche restaurants that offer the often-scarce African-ish menus we love to explore on trips and compare to what we are used to back home. Profiles of locations are also detailed enough to assist me in my elimination process so then I am very confident of my decision on where to eat when I eventually make it.

Cons

What I dislike about using OpenTable as a diner is the same thing that makes it good. The huge number of choices available can make deciding on where to book a bit of a headache

Grace

OpenTable Fan for Years!

I love OpenTable and will continue to use it for many years to come!

Pros

I've been an OpenTable user for many years now to book all of my dining-out reservations. It's easy and convenient to search any restaurant, view the menu and distance away from you and find available times for reservations. My favorite feature is the points system! For each reservation, an OpenTable user will receive a certain amount of points. Those points can then be used to buy rewards including discounts on hotels, Amazon gift cards and so much more!

Cons

I have found in the past that my points have not always been given to my account based on certain reservations and that can be confusing to a user. It would be beneficial to have a clearer explanation of how the rewards system works.

Leslie

Industry: Cosmetics

May 2022

Best system ever

I’ve use the system for years and years and it has been the best thing next to you sliced bread

Pros

There are so many features with OpenTable that are productive to us using it from letting us know how many people are in the party if they have any allergies we can text them and let them know there are tables ready

Taylor

February 2022

Opentable makes reservations simple

Amazing. Kept us so organized in the summer

Pros

I love that texts are sent when the table is ready, its much more organized than other places ive worked where you just use a book. The option for mobile bookings is amazing too . I worked at a busy restraunt on a lake and it saved us in the summer, kept everything so organized

Cons

Sometimes bookings would come through when we were extremely busy, but im not sure if that was management or opentable.

A Consumer's Dream

I first downloaded OpenTable when my boyfriend and I wanted to go to this insanely popular breakfast spot in Washington DC. We had been there many times before and the wait was always a minimum of 45 minutes. I called the restaurant to see what the wait time would be and the hostess told me about the app. Since the first use, I was sold. Surprising that it's not more well known, if you ask me.

Pros

What the software does is quite cool. Many restaurants these days don't take reservations so you're forced to try your luck and hope for a short wait time. With OpenTable, that's not an issue; what they do is place your name on the list of guests that the restaurant already has. All you have to do is make sure you get there when it's your turn. You spend your "wait time" doing whatever you want (including rolling out of bed). The amount of time saved is fantastic; plus, you don't have to stand around waiting with people during the pandemic. You can also order food for delivery or pickup.

Cons

I think my only complaint would be the fact that availability outside of my area is scarce. I travel a lot to and from Atlanta, LA, and Vegas. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by the availability here in DC.

Kathryn

Love Open Table!

OpenTable is wonderful, not only do they have fast and professional customer service, they're also improving the software everyday. I love that we can train our hosts quickly and use the software to make it an enjoyable dining experience for our guests.

Pros

From a sales perspective, Open Table is fantastic at making sure we have plotted the proper rooms for private events. It is constantly making suggestions and making sure we're in the right time slots for turning tables. For our FOH manangers, it is very easy to train on which makes it less time consuming in the host training process. Guest center is also a great hub to check reviews, see your seating from an app on your phone and make any changes on the go. Love the pop up function and notes section to make sure our hosts have all the information they need. OTrestaurant.com is also wonderful to make sure we have all the right marketing tools turned on and become available to our guests. It is important that our guests have an ease of use to make a reservation and with the bonus points they receive from booking on open table it is just a plus for us to use the software.

Cons

Not a con, but we would love to see Open Table integrate with private dining software to make plotting private events faster.

Reasons for choosing OpenTable

Point system that our guests like for loyalty, ease of use, customer service, guest center function.

Response from OpenTable

Hi Kathryn, thanks so much for taking the time to write a review!

Replied August 2019

Jasmine

OpenTable Review

Overall, I would recommend Opentable for making reservations online. It is extremely easy to use and it is not time-consuming at all.

Pros

I use OpenTable to make restaurant reservations all the time. Its ease of use is what keeps me coming back for more time and time again. I find it to be more convenient than calling the restaurant myself and being put on hold. It is a widely used application so that serves as a bonus as well.

Cons

Sometimes when you make a reservation on OpenTable and show up at the restaurant, they say they do not see that a reservation was made so I guess sometimes there is a glitch in the system, but anytime that has been the case, the restaurant still accommodates me regardless because I made the time to request a reservation in advance.

April 2022

Using OpenTable for reservations and seating

Pros

The ease of use, and accuracy of seating and reservations

Cons

So far no problem or complaints using this software. Very satisfied.

Louisa

OpenTable makes managing reservations for group dinners a breeze!

I have loved using OpenTable to manage large group dinners for my student organizations, and will continue to use it for company dinners or social events once I graduate!

Pros

Using this software as a college student to book dinners for the many different clubs and organizations of which I am a part has made my life so much easier. With OpenTable, I can easily search a wide variety of restaurants in my city, narrow down my options with filters, dig deeper with detailed and accurate reviews, then finally book my reservation with a simple few clicks of a button. Additionally, the applications integration with Google calendar makes creating reminders for my reservations a breeze.

Cons

I feel that OpenTable could be improved by having a more straightforward report of a restaurant's specific features on their review page, like Yelp provides.

Megan

July 2022

Best app for making restaurant reservations!

Best app for booking restaurant reservations and reading reviews prior to booking/going.

Pros

Easy to use/navigate; can see all available times for any amount of people, on any date/time; can read reviews and see photos of the food (my personal favorite)

Cons

really the only feature that has ever “bothered” me is that you can’t make two reservations at once - however this makes complete and total sense and just means I am forced to make a decision then and there (which is a good thing for me HAHA)

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,019 reviews