What are Square for Restaurants users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Square for Restaurants software through verified user reviews

• icon"It is really easy to set up, the price is way better than the other systems in the market, it works with wifi and you can use it on your laptop, Ipad, smartphone."
  • icon"I loved how in depth and detailed one could get and that it considered things like substitutions and such."
  • icon"Simple and easy POS for small businesses like the food truck."
  • icon"Any time that we did rung into something it was solved by customer service and was usually user error."
  • icon"Not a software, but a very minor inconvenience with the round jack. The reader would occasionally turn during a card swipe, causing a read error."
  • icon"However, the worst thing about this program was the Tipping Section. Customer's can't read the fine text at the tip checkout phase."

Browse all Square for Restaurants Reviews

• Have you used Square for Restaurants and would like to share your experience with others?

Ryan

Super easy to use and convenient!

I enjoy it a lot and will continue to use

Pros

I really love using this software! It is so easy to use and is always quick to use, never issues with it! This is important in the restaurant

Cons

The only con is that the fees get a little expensive at times, especially when you manually enter info

Camila

the best POS for restaurants

Square was a huge help for us as a restaurant this year. With covid-19 businesses had to move really fast to the online market and Square provides the tools to get there really fast and easy.

Pros

It is really easy to set up, the price is way better than the other systems in the market, it works with wifi and you can use it on your laptop, Ipad, smartphone. I love how they offer the CRM tool and even more I love how easy is to create a website for your restaurant with them.

Cons

they could improve some of the features so It is even easier and faster to select the items. for example to add more options to the conditional words ( add, yes, No, extra, etc...) they could put the option to replace (ex: replace Ham for turkey) so when we have a customer who wants to customize a product we do not have to write long sentences all the time, instead we can just click a few buttons and is done.

Reasons for choosing Square for Restaurants

The quality of the product was better and for a better price

Reasons for switching to Square for Restaurants

Price, features, customer service.

Julie

April 2022

Contract Sign Language Interpreter

Pros

I like square for restaurants because it is tech savvy and lets the customers easily receive receipts and give feedback through their phone.

Cons

There is nothing that I can think of that I do not like about this software.

Angela

An ok solution

It was easy to set up. Free version lacks features and credit card processing is a bit wacky. Plus or paid version send like it would fix most issues leaving a functional but lacking system.

Pros

Easy to buy local at Best Buy, easy to set up and great menu! I also love the daily sales report that I get via email.

Cons

Certain functions not available on free version (understandable) but even the paid version didn’t leave great options. Partial payment and leave tab open would be very difficult. And the support said even with paid software “it’s not set up for tab management“ I’m a bar all we do is run tabs. Also refunds don’t work well and to adjustment is extremely difficult! Oh and why only the white case? I didn’t want a proprietary system so their new black version didn’t work for me.

Reasons for choosing Square for Restaurants

Revel misrepresented themselves as being able to function as a tab only bar with certain feature capabilities which they actually did not offer.

Reasons for switching to Square for Restaurants

Lightspeed integrated payments doesn’t want to approve me because I am a bar type 48 license and don’t sell food.

Jarrod

March 2022

Super Intuitive

Pros

We are a food truck and catering company. Square is by far the most intuitive and convenient P.O.S. for our business. I cannot say enough about how simple and effective square is as a P.O.S for a food truck.

Cons

Really and truly we have had no issues with square. Any time that we did rung into something it was solved by customer service and was usually user error.

Anna

All in one!

This product is an all in one that you can not find anywhere else!

Pros

You will read that this product is all in one, and it really is! It is great for small businesses!

Cons

The only problem I've had is that the fee can get pricey at times, but in the end, it's worth it!

Kevin

The Obivious choice for Payment processing

The major benefits we experience are as follow: Payment processing is a breeze, we are able to integrate our system with Quick books seamlessly, the many option for accepting payment means we never miss out on being able to receive payment at any time, Customer service is very helpful and they genuinely care about helping your business succeed and the most important for us is we never have to think about it, it just works.

Pros

Square has streamlined my credit card processing immensely, We were using a different merchant service before that had higher fees and less intuitive features. Square is very useful for our staff accepting payments on site, at events, Bar Tending and processing catering invoice payments. it is fully integrated with our Quickbooks software for a streamlined process. The speed in which receiving credit to our bank account is also pleasantly fast. Finally being able to accept a credit card while in an out of service area (No Wifi/Cellular) is an excellent feature we have already taken advantage of.

Cons

There are no issues in the two years I have been using Square to report. The addition of NFC payments has made my life even better!

Reasons for choosing Square for Restaurants

When choosing Square I did a ton of research on other companies, from reading reviews and watching videos on how they work it was clear to me that Square was the no Nonsense approach we were looking for. If you are a small business looking to take control of your payment processing I highly recommend Square to you.

Reasons for switching to Square for Restaurants

Merchant Services LTD was our Payment processing company for over 15 years, At the beginning it was a great investment. As time went on the fees were increasing and the reliability/Customer service was decreasing. We reached out to see if there were a way to make it viable again but in the end we decided to give Square a chance and we have never looked back.

Greg

Industry: Restaurants

Used square for a food trailer.

Square has been great for our food trailer. Ours came with a card swiper and we purchased the chip reader for less than $50.00.

Pros

Square is easy to use. The chip reader is easy to connect to your phone with bluetooth. The transaction are in your account the next day.

Cons

The chip reader does not stay on long enough when not in use, and you have to reconnect to your phone everytime you turn it back on.

Reasons for choosing Square for Restaurants

Considering a lot of transactions Square calculated out to be the best price for what we needed.

Bryan

Industry: Market Research

Swipe right material

Overall ok. Worked most of the time and I like that you can hook up your phone to the little swiping dude. Fix the tipping section at a buyer's checkout stage and you will do wonders. Lower CC fees please.

Pros

Working at a restaurant, this software made life easy for everybody (most of the time). Easy to set up a menu and add images, calculate tax, and reports.

Cons

When wifi went down so did our morale. However, the worst thing about this program was the Tipping Section. Customer's can't read the fine text at the tip checkout phase. They are deer in headlights. "Where do i sign?!" "What do I do" There is a big hiccup at this stage of the check out. Please bring up to your UX team. Square needs to make it simpler for end users. Bless them. I heard the fees are higher than most competitors.

"Square for Restaurants" is not for Restaurants.

They slapped the words 'For Restaurants' on a product that has not been properly optimized for restaurants. For very small, very simple operation (e.g. coffee shops) it is probably fine. Beyond that steer clear if you are a restaurant. The convenient tech on the backend does not justify to the awful day-today, and utterly useless reporting.

Pros

Setup is easy. HR, on-boarding, benefits, payroll, CC processing all built in is very convenient.

Cons

Unfortunately this is all overshadowed by the day-to-day experience of using the POS for an actual restaurant, especially if you are using a combination of online ordering from a Square website, and in-person dining. Creating new menu items is very tedious, even when duplicating. Drill-down reporting is almost non-existent, stops at the category level. E.g. I have a category called "Beer" that contains 8 different beers. I can see how much gross sales the category does, but I cannot look into the category to see any more detail than that. I have to look at the entire inventory itemized sales report and pick the beers out 1 by 1 to get info on which ones are selling.

Convenience.

Elizabeth

Square for Restaurants

My experience overall has been positive. I prefer to order where I select what I want and hopefully there is less room for not getting the correct item. It's convenient and saves having to use paper receipts.

Pros

Using square is a convenient way to order food and pay your bill at restaurants. Even in group settings you can split the check or have different people add orders to one bill.

Cons

I think as more restaurants go to a digital menu and checkout process I would assume that new features would be added. There is nothing that sticks out in my mind that we have had issues with.

March 2022

Square for Restaurants

Pros

The EASE of all of its features is my favorite aspect of the software. You can split checks, do separate checks, etc quickly and efficiently.

Cons

I have yet to find something about the software that I don't like.

Reasons for switching to Square for Restaurants

We wanted customers to be able to pay at the table.

Malecia

All Things Effective

My overall experience has been well, I always tend to get either a paper receipt or an email receipt and a survey about my service.

Pros

What I like the most about square processing payments is that it makes it very easy to restore that customer's information such as email, phone number and past transaction history and payments.

Cons

There's nothing that I dislike about the software. I have run into no problems thus far. It is pretty effective.

Harry

Industry: Restaurants

Not really for full service restaurants

The advantage is that you can get into to it inexpensively. But if you have experience in a full service restaurant, you will immediately find where it is lacking. No way to start tabs, back end reports are not helpful, occasional payments disappear, not real support set-up, no real-time off site reports available.

Pros

Easy to set up and inexpensive, financed equipment

Cons

Doesn't handle large volume well, back-end reporting lacking, customer support non-existant

Price

Rochelle

Saved the small restaurant business

Overall I think this has been great. Works well for small restaurants, especially mobile food trucks.

Pros

I love that product. It has made it easy for consumers to make purchases with debit and credit card in an era where nobody really uses cash too much.

Cons

Sometimes the square might not be able to read the card that is used to make purchase but if that doesn’t work you can always key in the card number so you don’t miss sale.

Christina

Business owner’s best friend

The choice to use Square for our credit/debit transactions was the best choice for us financially. Signing up was stress free, without a ton of confusing paperwork, and the fees were more than manageable. In less than a week I received a card reader that was compatible with my device, and free of charge. Transactions are securely managed by the Square app that allows me to track sales any time I want. A very small percentage of each transaction goes to fees and is processed immediately eliminating the monthly bill process. The app also features tools that track inventory, set up promotional offers, loyalty rewards, and collect feedback from my customers. On app tutorials walk you through everything with outstanding customer service for the bigger issues.

Pros

The financial side of any business can be very stressful. Square offers a wide variety of tools and resources that help business owners monitor sales, track inventory, and reward customer loyalty. It’s free to join, and fees are a small percentage of each transaction. Using the app eliminates paperwork giving me more time to focus more on customer satisfaction.

Cons

Not a software, but a very minor inconvenience with the round jack. The reader would occasionally turn during a card swipe, causing a read error. I secured a thin piece of sturdy plastic on the back side of the reader that uses the back of my device as an anchor.

sarah

Love it!

Pros

The ease of entering in new items and organizing the screens is great and easy enough for even staff to do. We have worked with them to get certain end of day reports we needed but overall the accessibility to access what you need whether it be item sales per day, hour, category, etc. is really simple. Sending refunds, looking up transactions, or sending coupons is super fast and way easier than any other system I have used. The staff loves it because their tips have tripled with the suggested percentage buttons on the customer screen.

Cons

At first it was hard for me to gain access to troubleshooting help as a manager because I am not the owner of the company. They seem to have changed protocol lately so now when I call it is no problem. There are constant updates so sometimes there are changes in the system and certain ones we don't like or want. However, I have been able to call and they can talk me through how to change the settings.

Brian

Not Ready For Prime Time

All the good things about Square exist with other systems that lack the bad things. They are new to the restaurant space and they are evolving, but they are not there yet.

Pros

The user interface is clear and simple. It works perfectly well for our servers.

Cons

The back of house reporting is a disaster. I’ve never worked with a more complicated, obtuse, confusing reporting function. They say you can customize your reports, but that’s true in only the simplest sense. We can’t customize reports so that all the info we want is in one place. We still need to bounce from report to report to find the data we need. It takes my bookkeeper far longer to reconcile sales to receivables than ever before, and occasionally we spend hours trying to make sense, on the phone with support personnel who also can’t make sense of the reports. Any positive reviews of the reporting functions are from customers that really use the reports seriously or diligently. If you care that your receipts are correct, Square makes it virtually impossible.

Reasons for choosing Square for Restaurants

Their sales pitch was great. There’s just only so much you can learn from a sales pitch. A year in we are still discovering new problems.

Reasons for switching to Square for Restaurants

I’m pretty sure Toast was stealing from us by mid-rounding numbers.

Jonathen

Industry: Restaurants

Great as long as you got it

Pros

Cons

Heaven forbid something wasn't working on the machine and we needed customer support. Always was a hassle, especially if it was an issue involving the POS system not wanting to be online.

Kiki

iPad transactions

Pros

I used square for a bakery I previously worked at. It’s pretty straight forward. Swipe the card and it goes through the POS on the iPad

Cons

The system sometimes crashed. Not sure if it was Square or the server were using.

Sage

Easy and quick

Great for my family’s cute little food truck!

Pros

I used this when working for my aunts food truck and I was helping them last minute when an employee called in sick, I was thrown in without much training on the system and I quickly figured it out myself. Simple and easy POS for small businesses like the food truck! Can’t complain about the price either!

Cons

Some connectivity issues, but worked great for the most part.

Danika

Simple and easy to use

I have enjoyed using it overall as a user to save time and be efficient.

Pros

I like that this software is automatically linked to my accounts as a user. I don't need to keep track of rewards programs. I also like that you don't have to calculate tip amounts as it gives suggested amounts and percentages.

Cons

It does sometimes make it awkward for users to feel obligated to tip for transactions that wouldn't normally require tips but in the end it helps the team.

Jose

No cash, no problem!!

All in all I have had a great experience so far and I’m hoping the deposits being held longer then expected issue gets fixed expeditiously

Pros

so Simple and way easy to use. Really helps out small businesses everywhere.

Cons

Needs work on clearing deposits in a more timely fashion

Cait

Review 11 Square for Restaurants

Pros

I am a customer that has a friend that uses this for her small business. I love that this product gives small business the ability to set this up without paying for credit/debit fees.

Cons

I think this software is great - sometimes I have seen people struggle with their cards swiping correctly (could be user error)

A POS that can keep up with my servers

LOVE this POS. It’s sleek, modern, and up to date with the rest of the community’s technology. It puts me a step above the competition because my POS helps me streamline our productivity in many different ways.

Pros

Fully customizable menu and layouts that I’m able to update remotely. This keeps travel costs down and software updates minimal.

Cons

Even though it has a great interface, my servers aren’t used to this POS because it’s fairly new and there is a learning curve.

4.33/5 out of 33 reviews