• Pros

• "I really love using this software! It is so easy to use and is always quick to use, never issues with it! This is important in the restaurant "

• "The user interface is clear and simple. It works perfectly well for our servers. "

• "I have seen these being used at many establishments and they are user friendly and hip to the times and age of tablets, phones etc..."

• Cons

• "The only con is that the fees get a little expensive at times, especially when you manually enter info "

• "I wish they came with pens for signing my signature rather than using my finger, but it's ok. "

• "There are no issues in the two years I have been using Square to report. The addition of NFC payments has made my life even better! "

Browse Square for Restaurants Reviews

Ryan from AssuredPartners NORTHEAST

Super easy to use and convenient!

I enjoy it a lot and will continue to use

Camila from Americano

the best POS for restaurants

Square was a huge help for us as a restaurant this year. With covid-19 businesses had to move really fast to the online market and Square provides the tools to get there really fast and easy.

Pros

It is really easy to set up, the price is way better than the other systems in the market, it works with wifi and you can use it on your laptop, Ipad, smartphone. I love how they offer the CRM tool and even more I love how easy is to create a website for your restaurant with them.

Cons

they could improve some of the features so It is even easier and faster to select the items. for example to add more options to the conditional words ( add, yes, No, extra, etc...) they could put the option to replace (ex: replace Ham for turkey) so when we have a customer who wants to customize a product we do not have to write long sentences all the time, instead we can just click a few buttons and is done.

Reasons for Choosing Square for Restaurants

The quality of the product was better and for a better price

Reasons for Switching to Square for Restaurants

Price, features, customer service.

Brent from One Off Hospitality Group

Convenient POS for the restaurant industry

Overall, I've found this software to be user friendly. It solves many organizational issues that restaurants face.

Pros

I use this software almost every day to help manage the menu at the restaurant where I work. At one point the restaurant was using multiple delivery services and this software allows you to streamline all the orders from different companies in one place. I really like its system for organizing the tickets for different tables; it is a huge upgrade from doing things on paper.

Cons

If you lose wi-fi, you'll be scrambling to put in place an ad hoc system. I have also heard managers complain about the cost of the software. In general, though, I've found it to have many more pluses than minuses.

Brian from Casellula

Not Ready For Prime Time

All the good things about Square exist with other systems that lack the bad things. They are new to the restaurant space and they are evolving, but they are not there yet.

Pros

Cons

The back of house reporting is a disaster. I’ve never worked with a more complicated, obtuse, confusing reporting function. They say you can customize your reports, but that’s true in only the simplest sense. We can’t customize reports so that all the info we want is in one place. We still need to bounce from report to report to find the data we need. It takes my bookkeeper far longer to reconcile sales to receivables than ever before, and occasionally we spend hours trying to make sense, on the phone with support personnel who also can’t make sense of the reports. Any positive reviews of the reporting functions are from customers that really use the reports seriously or diligently. If you care that your receipts are correct, Square makes it virtually impossible.

Reasons for Choosing Square for Restaurants

Their sales pitch was great. There’s just only so much you can learn from a sales pitch. A year in we are still discovering new problems.

Reasons for Switching to Square for Restaurants

I’m pretty sure Toast was stealing from us by mid-rounding numbers.

Louis from HDR Home Services LLC

Square for restaurants

I feel their is room for grow but experience is positive overall.

Pros

The software makes it more accessible for small businesses to stay competitive in the era of pick up and delivery.

Cons

Should work on integration with orher food delivery options to help fulfil customer orders.

Kevin from Allspice Catering

The Obivious choice for Payment processing

The major benefits we experience are as follow: Payment processing is a breeze, we are able to integrate our system with Quick books seamlessly, the many option for accepting payment means we never miss out on being able to receive payment at any time, Customer service is very helpful and they genuinely care about helping your business succeed and the most important for us is we never have to think about it, it just works.

Pros

Square has streamlined my credit card processing immensely, We were using a different merchant service before that had higher fees and less intuitive features. Square is very useful for our staff accepting payments on site, at events, Bar Tending and processing catering invoice payments. it is fully integrated with our Quickbooks software for a streamlined process. The speed in which receiving credit to our bank account is also pleasantly fast. Finally being able to accept a credit card while in an out of service area (No Wifi/Cellular) is an excellent feature we have already taken advantage of.

Reasons for Choosing Square for Restaurants

When choosing Square I did a ton of research on other companies, from reading reviews and watching videos on how they work it was clear to me that Square was the no Nonsense approach we were looking for. If you are a small business looking to take control of your payment processing I highly recommend Square to you.

Reasons for Switching to Square for Restaurants

Merchant Services LTD was our Payment processing company for over 15 years, At the beginning it was a great investment. As time went on the fees were increasing and the reliability/Customer service was decreasing. We reached out to see if there were a way to make it viable again but in the end we decided to give Square a chance and we have never looked back.

Christina from Sock Hop Diner

Business owner’s best friend

The choice to use Square for our credit/debit transactions was the best choice for us financially. Signing up was stress free, without a ton of confusing paperwork, and the fees were more than manageable. In less than a week I received a card reader that was compatible with my device, and free of charge. Transactions are securely managed by the Square app that allows me to track sales any time I want. A very small percentage of each transaction goes to fees and is processed immediately eliminating the monthly bill process. The app also features tools that track inventory, set up promotional offers, loyalty rewards, and collect feedback from my customers. On app tutorials walk you through everything with outstanding customer service for the bigger issues.

Pros

The financial side of any business can be very stressful. Square offers a wide variety of tools and resources that help business owners monitor sales, track inventory, and reward customer loyalty. It’s free to join, and fees are a small percentage of each transaction. Using the app eliminates paperwork giving me more time to focus more on customer satisfaction.

Cons

Not a software, but a very minor inconvenience with the round jack. The reader would occasionally turn during a card swipe, causing a read error. I secured a thin piece of sturdy plastic on the back side of the reader that uses the back of my device as an anchor.

Bryan from Rustico

Industry: Market Research

Swipe right material

Overall ok. Worked most of the time and I like that you can hook up your phone to the little swiping dude. Fix the tipping section at a buyer's checkout stage and you will do wonders. Lower CC fees please.

Pros

Working at a restaurant, this software made life easy for everybody (most of the time). Easy to set up a menu and add images, calculate tax, and reports.

Cons

When wifi went down so did our morale. However, the worst thing about this program was the Tipping Section. Customer's can't read the fine text at the tip checkout phase. They are deer in headlights. "Where do i sign?!" "What do I do" There is a big hiccup at this stage of the check out. Please bring up to your UX team. Square needs to make it simpler for end users. Bless them. I heard the fees are higher than most competitors.

Malecia from Frontline Media

All Things Effective

My overall experience has been well, I always tend to get either a paper receipt or an email receipt and a survey about my service.

Pros

What I like the most about square processing payments is that it makes it very easy to restore that customer's information such as email, phone number and past transaction history and payments.

Cons

There's nothing that I dislike about the software. I have run into no problems thus far. It is pretty effective.

Greg from G&S concessions

Industry: Restaurants

Used square for a food trailer.

Square has been great for our food trailer. Ours came with a card swiper and we purchased the chip reader for less than $50.00.

Pros

Square is easy to use. The chip reader is easy to connect to your phone with bluetooth. The transaction are in your account the next day.

Cons

The chip reader does not stay on long enough when not in use, and you have to reconnect to your phone everytime you turn it back on.

Reasons for Choosing Square for Restaurants

Considering a lot of transactions Square calculated out to be the best price for what we needed.

sarah from daily planet cafe

Love it!

Pros

The ease of entering in new items and organizing the screens is great and easy enough for even staff to do. We have worked with them to get certain end of day reports we needed but overall the accessibility to access what you need whether it be item sales per day, hour, category, etc. is really simple. Sending refunds, looking up transactions, or sending coupons is super fast and way easier than any other system I have used. The staff loves it because their tips have tripled with the suggested percentage buttons on the customer screen.

Cons

At first it was hard for me to gain access to troubleshooting help as a manager because I am not the owner of the company. They seem to have changed protocol lately so now when I call it is no problem. There are constant updates so sometimes there are changes in the system and certain ones we don't like or want. However, I have been able to call and they can talk me through how to change the settings.

Kiki from Health, Wellness and Fitness

iPad transactions

Pros

I used square for a bakery I previously worked at. It’s pretty straight forward. Swipe the card and it goes through the POS on the iPad

Cons

The system sometimes crashed. Not sure if it was Square or the server were using.

Sage from Adp

Easy and quick

Great for my family’s cute little food truck!

Pros

I used this when working for my aunts food truck and I was helping them last minute when an employee called in sick, I was thrown in without much training on the system and I quickly figured it out myself. Simple and easy POS for small businesses like the food truck! Can’t complain about the price either!

Cons

Some connectivity issues, but worked great for the most part.

Cait from u-46

Review 11 Square for Restaurants

Pros

I am a customer that has a friend that uses this for her small business. I love that this product gives small business the ability to set this up without paying for credit/debit fees.

Cons

I think this software is great - sometimes I have seen people struggle with their cards swiping correctly (could be user error)

A POS that can keep up with my servers

LOVE this POS. It’s sleek, modern, and up to date with the rest of the community’s technology. It puts me a step above the competition because my POS helps me streamline our productivity in many different ways.

Pros

Fully customizable menu and layouts that I’m able to update remotely. This keeps travel costs down and software updates minimal.

Cons

Even though it has a great interface, my servers aren’t used to this POS because it’s fairly new and there is a learning curve.

Harry from Vicious Fishes Taproom & Kitchen

Industry: Restaurants

Not really for full service restaurants

The advantage is that you can get into to it inexpensively. But if you have experience in a full service restaurant, you will immediately find where it is lacking. No way to start tabs, back end reports are not helpful, occasional payments disappear, not real support set-up, no real-time off site reports available.

Pros

Easy to set up and inexpensive, financed equipment

Cons

Doesn't handle large volume well, back-end reporting lacking, customer support non-existant

Price

Jose from RH Concrete Inc.

No cash, no problem!!

All in all I have had a great experience so far and I’m hoping the deposits being held longer then expected issue gets fixed expeditiously

Pros

so Simple and way easy to use. Really helps out small businesses everywhere.

Cons

Needs work on clearing deposits in a more timely fashion

Rochelle from Advocate Entertainment

Saved the small restaurant business

Overall I think this has been great. Works well for small restaurants, especially mobile food trucks.

Pros

I love that product. It has made it easy for consumers to make purchases with debit and credit card in an era where nobody really uses cash too much.

Cons

Sometimes the square might not be able to read the card that is used to make purchase but if that doesn’t work you can always key in the card number so you don’t miss sale.

Karen from Red Hill Brewery

Advertises as free But takes high % and functions are extra

It works ok. If you purchase the full upgrades you try in the trial The reality of the free version is woefully inadequate

Pros

The integration to inventory management system and xero and payment system via online store too

Cons

Its expensive. Starts around 1.7% of your sales. The free version has massive limitations on functionality. Standard POS functions like end of day closing reports and having different users permissions /access are all part of the upgrade version. I feel they deliberately limit key functions to force you to upgrade whilst heavily promoting its free. Upgrade is Maybe another $200/mth. So 1.7% of your total sales plus $2400 p.a.

donna from lafayette chiropractic

square

excellent and not had any breaches yet but always a worry

Pros

easy to use at any restaurant, dont have to carry cash when you are traveling convenient and easy to use

Cons

I am always worried about the security issue with such a mobile device using my information to make payments

michele from sacred heart university

easy to set up

Pros

categorizes receipts and customers very well, very easy to use and set up

Cons

finding a place for the hardware/ connection if its not tied to table software

Branden from Kidd’s Magical Designs

Not Worth The Time

When using Square we did not have the best experience and the customer service was not the greatest either they are very rude and do not know how to talk to people with respect. They do not offer protection for customers when purchasing products online or directly through the store like PayPal or other online softwares which is a problem not only for us as a business but for our customers as well.

Pros

Connects straight to banking system, Can use small Tablets and phone to do business

Cons

Fees are larger than most other software systems, money does not deposit directly to bank you have to request that money is sent.

Nachi from Live Like YOU, Now! Coaching & Mentoring