• Pros

• "It was very easy and convenient to use for a new business to get started. Awesome to be able to accept payment anywhere I had a cell signal, or wifi."

• "It is very easy to use. I love being able to list an item and then put in a custom amount. It is very fast and understandable. There is also no monthly fee just a fee per swipe. Which is awesome!"

• "I Love the ease and accuracy of each transaction!"

• Cons

• "The rewards system is kind of hard to use and the interface could be updated a little bit. But other than that no issues."

• "I think it's to bland but other than that it's awesome!"

• "not being able to talk to a live person if needed, having to wait for an email response when there is an urgent situation is awful"

Browse Square for Retail Reviews

Hannah from Gap Inc.

Great for anyone wanting to start a business.

It's hard for me to find anything wrong with Square. We have never really been tempted by the competition, and I doubt we will be anytime soon. Perhaps if you are running a store with more products or customers you may benefit from a different system, but I would suggest Square to anyone starting out. You can get set up today, and your customers already know how to use it.

Pros

I was working as a barista in a new coffee location in my local town. The owner of the shop was pretty new to the industry, and didn't have a lot of business experience. She needed a way to run cards, and she was looking at a few different solutions, but I mentioned Square, and she ran to CVS and bought one right away. She wasn't very tech savvy, so I volunteered to get it set up. It probably took me less than an hour. The interface is a breeze to use, customers get it right away when they need to sign for charges or enter phone numbers. There were days that I was the only person on staff, using Square and running between the milk steamer and the register was a breeze. One feature we used often was using a cell phone to take orders while people waited in their cars. This allowed us to reduce the lines in our shop, and keep the morning rush moving. The flat rate pricing makes things extremely easy as well. As someone that is not an accountant, this made my life a lot easier.

Cons

Some of the reporting features can be confusing to read, and more than once have resulted in us blindly refunding customers. Sometimes the card readers gave us problems, but this was usually solved with a quick reset.

Michael from JustJaks Pet Market

Love Square POs

Pros

The POS system is simple and easy to use hands down. The use of our POS integrated with online, loyalty program, marketing, and payroll is a one stop shop integrated and makes life simple and streamlined!

Cons

We paid the original higher cost for the register when it first came out. The price just dropped $200 this week. Our rate remains lower so it will pay for the difference over time since grandfathered in....not much we dont Ice about this wonderful easy, all in one system!

Reasons for Choosing Square for Retail

Had everything we needed and the cost was great.

Matthew from Pediatric Center of Somerset LLC

Best ever for Credit Card Purchases

The software has improved dramatically since we started using it. It is much faster now and there is now a terminal and printer to use. It has been very reliable and haven't been killed with monthly service charges or additional add on charges (like an annual security update fee) as we have had in the past.

Pros

Easy to use. There are no hidden fees or monthly service charges. Charges can be either keyed in or a card swipe.

Cons

No real cons. They did start charging for additional card readers. If you had a poor or no internet connection charges could not be processes.

Myesha from DC Brau

Square POS

Overall the Square POS was great on a really busy day at the brewery. It was easy to use and never went down or lagged on us. I would definitely recommend it.

Pros

I got to use the new Square POS system for the first time recently and was really impressed by how easy it was to use. It was super intuitive and the color coding on the layout made it easier to find certain buttons.

Cons

The discount buttons were a little confusing. I also didn't like that I couldn't add multiple different items into the cart at one time. I had to add one item, go back to the main page and then add a different item which slowed down the process a little.

Jack from PARIS

2.5

July 2016

We use this for transactions when we are not on-site for catering.

Pros

Super simple to use, they send you a free card reader. You can have multiple people on the same account, and you can set up/edit your account and items for sale both on mobile and on a desktop browser. Works on all mobile phone types which is handy. The CC processing rate, 2.75% I believe, is quite good.

Cons

I have found that the card reader, while it is free, is not well made. We have gone through three of them! It seems like if any dust or dirt gets in the slot, they get very sensitive and will quit working. Also, they really charge way too much when you type in the card number instead of swiping. There is a big surcharge for doing that - and since the reader is not that reliable, we end up needing to do that a lot. Support was not that great though.

Leah from Leah Davies Art

Easy and helpful

Pros

I use Square to accept all credit card payments when I'm at events. I took the time beforehand to enter all the different local state taxes and enter all of the items I sell. I especially like that I can list items for sale and not attach a price so if I need to change prices on the fly, I can just key in the new or updated price at the event.

Cons

The only thing I could complain about is the option to export or print out an invoice for each individual transaction. For tax purposes (and for my own records), I like to have a copy of each sale in print or pdf form that includes the customer name and what specifically I sold them. I sell big-ticketed items, so it's important for me to keep track of everything. When I contacted customer service, they were kind enough, but their solution was to take a screenshot of the info I was looking for. That's fine and all, but not really what I was looking for. When I'm at an event making a sale, I need to know more info than just the fact that someone bought something from me... anyway. Just a suggestion.

Anthony from American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists

Best POS Solution for Small Businesses

Pros

This is an ideal point-of-sale (POS) solution for small businesses, especially start-ups, because it is very easy to implement and use.

Cons

There are some limitations, especially for inventory control purpose, which will require to have an additional solution.

Jessica from McKiddy Cakes LTD

Great Product for Small Business

Pros

Square makes processing payments on-the-go super easy with the ability to process just from the app on your phone or by using their adapters. I like the fact that you can send invoices and have clients pay online.

Cons

The card swiper that they sent is not adapted to the new iPhone so I have to get an adapter to make it work. Also, it appears that you can't always use the chip reader unless you are connected to wifi which isn't always the case when you are at vendor shows.

Michael from Bankers Liquidators

Industry: Building Materials

Not the best...not the worst.

(MOBILE VERSION) I am glad to have had it when I absolutely needed it, but I would not use this as my primary point of sale.

Pros

We used Square POS at our company as a backup when our primary credit card machines were down for whatever reason (power outage, system maintenance, internet outage, etc.). It was readily available for us when we needed to accept a card payment but had no other way of instantly approving that transaction.

Cons

The hardware was flimsy and easy to break. When the plug in card reader (swipe only) was not in use, it was in a desk drawer. It did not take long before the card reader started having trouble reading cards, and eventually, it stopped working altogether. While there is a manual input option, the processing fees are automatically higher for receiving payment through manual card number entry.

Linda from L'espace Vremya, Inc

Go ahead, be Square.

Overall, I appreciate how easy the platform is to use. You don't need to be tech savvy in order to navigate it.

Pros

I love that this software lets you take payments anywhere, anytime. In addition to availability, there is extreme flexibility around deposits. You can schedule daily deposits for anytime that works for you, or you can request an instant deposit for a nominal fee.

Cons

The platform speed is dependent upon your connectivity, meaning that you probably should provide your own internet connection, rather than rely on wi-fi and/or a venues internet availability.

Kristine from Isle Royale & Keweenaw Parks Association

Industry: Museums and Institutions

After research, seemed like best choice on a small nonprofit's limited budget.

Our previous credit card processor charged us PCI compliance fee but didn't help us with our compliance issues. They were happy to charge an additional price. PCI noncompliance fee for more than a year. Switching our four physical locations and website to Square resolved those issues and saved those fees. Square Retail would no doubt help us more with inventory management, but we can't afford the extra monthly cost for the multiple locations. Software Advice and other review sites were very helpful in sorting through the hundreds of options and convincing our board that we could afford to make the switch to Square to help staff reduce time spent to manage both sales and inventory.

Pros

Fairly intuitive and forgiving (can back out of most screens if not sure where to find function you're looking for). Sales and national park visitor center staff really like the system, and have had little difficulty learning it. We have it set up with wi-fi on AT&T U-Verse and satellite internet and on a Verizon wireless-enabled iPad. Offline mode has worked during power interruptions and automatically uploaded sales when back online. Customer support has generally been top notch. Support Center has good information and comments from the Square community, though it can be a challenge to find the answer without fairly extensive searching. The Square stands, compatible printers, and cash drawers were easy to hook up and work well together. Straightforward pricing. Ability to accept multiple forms of payment with the Square chip reader and Virtual Terminal.

Cons

Would be extremely helpful to have searchable, downloadable start-up and user guides instead of having to cut and paste from web pages, which doesn't work well. We had to make a lot of phone calls to tech support during initial set-up, particularly for uploading inventory, because we couldn't find instructions online. Very time-consuming and tricky to upload inventory spreadsheet files that include multiple locations. After all the effort to upload, it appears that each item still has to have inventory tracking enabled manually. We assumed that's why we were entering all the inventory numbers into the spreadsheet. Moving inventory from one location to another also must be done manually. With desktop version of QuickBooks for Mac, Square's daily subtraction of fees for each location's sales vs. all fees charged once monthly by our previous processor has more than quadrupled the time needed to enter sales reports. Switching to cloud version of QuickBooks may help, as transactions can supposedly be downloaded to it. Had to purchase a third-party module to integrate our website's Magento Community ecommerce software with Square, but integration is very incomplete (total charge only is transferred to Square, not items sold, merchandise subtotal, member discount, or shipping charges). We accidentally entered some Virtual Terminal transactions with the wrong location selected and couldn't transfer them to the correct location. Tech support verified that the only option would have been to refund each transaction from the incorrect location and reenter them in the correct one. We bought a recommended scanner but found that we would have to manually replace our existing PLUs with very long barcode numbers for each item to use it.

Theresa from Kamikaze Karate Martial Arts & MMA Supply

Industry: Sporting Goods

December 2015

Square delivers plenty of features at low cost

Pros

I have run a brick-and-mortar for more than 19 years, and got rid of my traditional merchant account about 5 years ago when fees became outrageous and unstable, and I also needed a mobile payment system as my bank did not offer one. I did some research and settled on Square. The product is intuitive and easy to navigate, and the cost for processing credit cards is reasonable at 2.75% for swiped and 3.5% for manually entered. But that's just the beginning of what they offer: in 2013, the Square Market was an incredible add-on benefit provided for free! If you've needed e-commerce for your business, you know that this service can be costly, so for Square to provide it for merely the cost of each transaction processed is amazing. There are many features to the Market, such as the ability to embed items you are selling into your website, share on social media, etc. While the features aren't customizable to a great extent, it is still a very powerful platform for POS. I particularly appreciate the many reports that can be generated, receipts with custom messages you can send to clients who have shopped online, ability to send invoices, etc. They've added gift cards, which is a nice feature, and they have many third party vendor apps that interface with Square for inventory and financial processes for your business. New features are constantly being added, such as their Customer Engagement to create customer lists and do direct marketing to that list right from Square. This product is a powerful addition to your website and other marketing you may already be doing. I have recommended this product to many small business owners and non-profits, and have been a very happy user since late 2010.

Cons

I have found very little to dislike. I have seen comments online about deposits being held, a lack of ability to communicate easily with Square (initially, they had no phone customer service, but I always got very quick response from their techs via Twitter in the early days), and difficulty in raising deposit limits. I run two small businesses using Square, and for one of them had to ask for a large increase in daily deposits as my business grew. This was handled easily via email communications and took only a few days.

Kristine from Isle Royale & Keweenaw Parks Association

Not perfect, but a big improvement!

Pros

Sales staff really like it compared to cash register and credit card terminal (or old-fashioned knuckle-buster imprinter for our remote locations). Predictable fees, which have been lower than for our previous traditional credit card processors, especially for in-person purchases and for American Express. No monthly fees or PCI compliance issues. Square Community is a helpful resource. Dashboard with a variety of reports works pretty well, and it's handy to be able to generate sales reports or search for individual transactions quickly.

Cons

Lack of good integration with Magento Community web software (only bottom line charge comes through). No ability to easily transfer inventory from one location to another. Problem with cash total on drawer report not matching sales report. Usually cash drawer is correct, which means sales are not recorded properly. This problem has existed since at least August 2016, while their engineers work on it. This lowest cost version of Square probably gets less attention than their monthly subscription products. Daily subtraction of processing fees creates a lot more work in QuickBooks than traditional credit card processors charging fees monthly. Customer support has been hit or miss. We've been misled a couple times. After uploading a file with inventory quantities for each product at each location, which took a lot of time to create, we discovered that inventory didn't start counting down with each sale unless we activated that feature on each product individually. That makes no sense. Searching for sales of individual items can be quite slow because it starts loading ALL items before giving a chance to choose.

Gracie from Wild West Weed and Seed

Great POS System for new companies.

Square has done wonders for our small business, it has almost everything you would need for a new business but there is somethings I didn't quite like. The system is great but there are some issues. To actually have track your inventory and have it sync up with Quickbooks required us to purchase Quickbooks online to be able to track our inventory and sync our daily sales. It was a little of a hassle but when it all comes down to it this register is great! I just wish it was designed more for a retail store or have that option when ordering the register. I haven't had any other complaints, it works well, user friendly, add as many products/items as you would need. Easy to use checkout for people without a good grasp of technology and how it works. I would honestly say this is a great POS system, very efficient and reliable! Plus you can download the app on your phone and accept payments where ever you are! That is the other great perk of this register!

Pros

Efficient, reliable, on the go app, easy to use, great for any store, easy to track your sales, keep costumer information that are repeats and order frequently, design and layout is simple and very easy on the eyes, it has two versions to layout your items, either a grid or a list so it is a personal preference of which you like to use, deposits your money that night.

Cons

Can't sync with Quickbooks unless you have Quickbooks Online, sometimes takes a while to start up and get going, the card swipe is very picky you HAVE to swipe it straight through or it doesn't accept the card (something that should be resolved soon I hope!) I just wish it wasn't only able to be used on Apple too. I am not a huge fan of Apple products. I would prefer to use a Samsung or Andriod tablet rather then a Ipad, but that is just a personal preference.

Connie from Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau

Nothing easier!

Pros

Wow -- we went from an expensive merchant credit account with expensive fees above and beyond transaction fees. The device/software was very inexpensive to move to. Moving to Square reduced costs significantly and transaction fees were well in line with the "discount" rates we were getting before -- without all the other fees. Because we're not handling credit card data in house, it also reduced our needs for managing compliance. It's easy to mobilize staff, the interface is simple, and the account can also be pulled up on a computer other device with a browser.

Cons

We had to purchase a new Square reader device when credit card technology evolved to chip, but I don't know that Square could have really done anything about building a device to handle the physical aspect of the technology change at the time they created the initial hardware. It wasn't a significant cost to upgrade the obsolete device to a chip version. It had no impact on the application.

Natosha from TTR

Excellent for small businesses

I feel that this program really has provided my company with a resource that is necessary for running a small business. I love the UI design and that it's fast to learn right from the beginning. It didn't require any downtime to get to know it better. Additionally, my customers love how fast and easy it is to use and I feel it has been a big help for my company in the long run.

Pros

I am very happy with the easy to use app and features. The software really provides plenty of functions to keep tabs on those who shopped with me before and even allow me to keep an eye on what is running low in my inventory. There is a good spreadsheet created and I feel that it's reduced the time to keep things organized and faster to search for a specific item or customer when needed. I also really like that I don't need to train anyone to use this program or even myself. It's very simple to learn and makes my business run so much easier.

Cons

Sometimes the connection can be lost, making it a bit slower to get things done fast, but this is normal with most programs I've used. However, when this connection lost happens, it can cause a line to build up while waiting for everything to process. I don't have much more to say about the program and features, it's been pretty good other than the connection issue.

Angela from the MeowMANOR

Best for my Dollar

I've had numerous companies approach me as far as their rates to use them. Square so far has been the best. No one compares, for my small business. There are a few things here and there that I wish would be different, but when I compare what I get for what I pay, I'm very satisfied.

Pros

Invoicing, easy payments, custom register menu.

Cons

It is automatic when two discounts apply, the % will be taken before the $ amount discount. When we offer 10% off to military and they earn a $ discount, it isn't calculated properly for us. So we have to make a few tweaks in order for it to work out. Called customer service and there is no way to change this. Also, the "Guest" feature was accidentally turned on when I was exploring adding payroll/employees to Square. Once it's activated, it can't be removed. So we now have to hit Guest each time instead of it automatically opening up the Square Register.

Sandra from Medical Hospital

Great, simple and easy to use P.O.S. for many types of businesses

Overall, I used the Square POS for a limited time but during that time I liked the simplicity of its interface and its clean look.

Pros

I used the Square POS system along with the Square contactless and chip reader. What I liked about this product is its simplistic yet clean look and fits well in my business - did not take up too much space. I also liked how easy it was to learn the actual POS system. It was not complicated and very straight forward and I was able to quickly get it setup for my needs. The learning curve is very simple and everyone at the company was able to pick it up with minimal experience. I liked the clean look of the interface itself and it is very organized.

Cons

A few problems that did stick out was the fact that sometimes the reader itself would need multiple tries in order to read a card correctly. It is not of the sturdiest material and that may have contributed to not working properly at times. Also, the merchant service fee per swipe is a bit on the pricey side at 2.75% per in person transaction (higher rate for keyed in transactions). There are cheaper options available but the convenience and availability of Square products are definitely something to keep in mind.

Kristen from Specialty Contractor

I use the Square for multiple businesses.

Overall, the Square Point of Sale is a low cost, easy to use, and very versatile software.

Pros

The Square is small, so it is easy to take anywhere. The Square can plug into any phone with a microphone jack, and is not specific to a brand or carrier. The app is free to download, and can be used with both mobile phones and tablets. Using the app can be as simple as just typing in the total amount, or amounts for specific items can be programmed into the app, so the prices are pulled up with a click of a button. The money is sent directly to your bank account.

Cons

The stripe reader seems to get worn out fairly quickly. The charge to swipe the credit card is fair, but if you have to type the card in due to the worn out reader, or a worn our card the fee is higher. I tend to do more over the phone charges with one business, and the fee can get pretty high.

Kathy from MDG Barber Inc.

Simple, Transparent, Informative

The SquareRegister POS provides a very simple, plug and go solution for setting up and using a cash register. It is very straightforward in setting up inventory, items, and employees. As a fast-paced, men's barber shop, we need sales transactions to be quick and easy, and SquareRegister POS delivers! Since management is off-site, we rely on excellent Dashboard reporting to keep us informed for remote management. The Employee Management modules to allow us to easily track sales by the employee (barber) for payroll purposes. The transparency of real-time credit card fees is another key component to running a small, growing business with no surprises!

Pros

We like the real-time look into the day's activity. With the Employee management module, it allows us to easily determine if we are over/under staffed at any point in our day. Being able to track the sales by year/month/week/day, we can more confidently create future staffing plans. The Sales Trend reporting provides a comparison to the previous day/week/month/year. Having the detail reporting from the Dashboard takes away the perceived notion of the health of my business and replaces it with factual data.

Cons

1. There is no 'Void' sale, only a 'Refund', so cashier errors are not accounted for. The sales that are 'refunded' show in my Gross Sales. 2. To track Sales per Employee (with Employee Management), each Employee has to log on and bring up his/her own sale. If 2 or more employees should get credit for the items one customer buys, then each sale/employee must be rung up separately (logging on) and the customer's card swiped (read) multiple times.

Harry from Claremont Inn & Winery

Square changed our Business when our business went through a change

The best Credit Card processor and a whole lot more!

Pros

Straightforward product and fees, no guess work. We will never use traditional credit card processing ever again. Traditional credit card processing is riddled with false claims and hidden fees. Square does not do this at all, I get paid the next day in full and they provide to me free of charge an olineline presence with a shopping cart...FREE How cool. Oh and did I mention that it all runs on an IPAD and IPHONe. I can make and collect money anywhere. It also works with no internet. Perfect product for us.

Cons

We wish the shopping cart were integrated into Infusionsoft and Rezovation (our hotel reservation system,) Also, we wish it could inventory items that we use in the business that we do not sell like bottles, corks, supplies.

Miguel from MiAGon LLC

Taking payments just got easier.

I have used Square as my primary point of sale to accept payments for some time now and it continues to be the only point of sale I use to accept credit cards.

Pros

Square is more than a point of sale. Square allows you to not only collect payment via a credit card, but also lets you do it in more ways than one. Use the card swipe device or enter the card manually. You can invoice your customers and pre-configure to have a list of items to pull into the invoice without having to manually entire complete descriptions. Square also lets you create categories, modifiers and discounts to your list of items. Keep all your customers at your fingertips with a list you can manage. And keep track of it all with sales and deposit reports.

Cons

There are no cons I can speak of, as Square has been able to process just about any credit card, and debit card. Unfortunately debit cards will be processed as a credit card, so if your customer would like to use it, they will not be able to treat the transaction as a debit transaction. Other than that, there are no real cons I can think of.

Nabeel from Salient CRGT

Square POS is a great tool for Vendors and Small Business Owners

All in all, Square POS is a must have if you are a small business owner and want to expand your business by accepting a wide variety of payment options. It makes the sale process easy and convenient but on the other hand, it is does charge a fee for every transaction which can add up overtime.

Pros

Square POS, provides access to small business owners and vendors to an incredible variety of payment, invoicing and sale options. It makes the acceptance and use of credit cards exteremly convenient and it can all be operated with the convenience of a smart phone or a tablet.

Cons

The biggest negative of Square POS, is the fee structure as it does end up costing significant amount of money to vendors and small business owners and a small percentage of every sale goes directly to Square. It would be great if Square had more package options and a variety of plans instead of the flat fee on every transaction.

Jacob from Blue Daisy

Square One

Pros

I highly recommend Square POS for any business struggling to manage the point of sale transaction. Especially new businesses, can get tied up and make mistakes when it comes down to taking money from guests, and this is often a real sticking point when things go awry. This is where Square excels most. Transactions are seamless and intuitive, and guests are happy.

Cons

The main con is that Square's transaction fees are very high compared to a traditional merchant processing company. You just have to remember that you are paying for convenience and ease-of-use. One trick is to contact square (after having a few months of transaction data) and ask them to lower your rate.

Christina from Get Help from Christie LLC

Business Owner

Customer service is top notch and responds both to online inquiries and emails. If I really need someone, there is a phone center with support as well. Great job!

Pros

The variety of utilization this software offers a small business is wonderful. Point of Sales, Payroll for employees or contractors, plus small business loans based on your sales activity are awesome benefits with low fees. I also get dispute coverage that acts like transaction insurance. They offer may services we have not taken advantage of yet. I look forward to growing with Square.

Cons

The only think I can think of improving is more control of payment dates for payroll, but at the moment it is very workable service.

Tammy from Medical Management Consulting

Using Square to process credit cards

Great way to process credit cards for low volume types of businesses.

Pros

It's free - there's no monthly fee to utilize the software. They only charge a percentage of the amount charged and a per transaction fee. The fact that they don't charge a monthly fee makes it more economical for small businesses that don't have a high volume or recurring volume of credit card sales.

Cons

You have to use an ipad to run the credit cards. It would be nice to be able to use their website to process the credit card. When there's a problem it's next to impossible to get someone on the phone to help you with it.

Lauren from Main Street Mercantile

Industry: Furniture

Square Register - Must Have for Square Customers!

Pros

The fully-integrated POS has a lower processing fee, and is the best of what square has to offer. We have not had an interruption in service since we switched. There is no charge for the software, which is nice for small businesses, and it has an amazing ease of user interface.

Cons

I wish that Square had more integrations with other softwares needed by a retail establishment. For instance, inventory management softwares that will integrate with square are limited and polarizing with offerings. We had no choice but to go with Shopventory due to budget restraints.

Desirae from ClientsFirst Consulting

Industry: Luxury Goods & Jewelry

Square Point of Sale

Overall the Square Point of Sale system is surprisingly simple to setup and use. Sending invoices via email as well as reminders for over due bills is ridiculously easy and even fun. Square provides users with a code so they can recommend others use the application, that when used, allows both users a free period of use of the application. I would recommend anyone needing a POS system check out Square.

Pros

Square POS is easy to setup and use in a very short time frame. They offer the Square card reader which allows both small and large businesses to accept credit cards in places that would normally not be able to provide that kind of service. Vendor and Craft fairs for instance. It not only offers easy invoicing and employee management, it also allows you to produce some reports and identify some trends.

Cons

Hit a few snags during the initial setup stage of my business as I seemed to do things a bit out of order than I should have. Once I figured out what I missed, I was able to keep moving forward with ease. The application allows for reports and some data filtering, though it does appear to be somewhat limited. It is not a full on CRM system like the ones I am used to working with, but I don't think it is intended to be. Not really cons, just some thoughts on it.

Robert from Northwest Indiana Chiropractic Health

Easy to use and business friendly!

Great system. I would definitely recommend it if you are starting a business as there are no monthly fees, you can track your inventory, use it for scheduling and do a whole lot of things in general with it.

Pros

Super easy to use, business friendly software and many different methods/tools for integration of other services including scheduling, gift cards, and more. Easy to use to track inventory also. Easy to understand financials.

Cons

The percentage they charge per transaction is reasonable but slightly more than other services I have encountered.

John from Ottos Fine Art Academy

SquarePOS GREAT for Small Businesses

Ive been using it for nearly a year with no outages and confidence that its working. I have items that are taxed and some that arent in my state. It handles that well. Components are solid and I anticipate and expect them to last a long time

Pros

These things just work. Like apple products, I look for technology that I can just plug together (iPad, monitor display, card swiper, receipt printer, cash register) and they all work right out of the box. The app is ok too and the rates for credit card processing are competitive- with daily deposits and nice reports.

Cons

Set up of the app and items that Im selling took a little time to plan out and adjust. But once I understood the process it went fast and I can also log in to their system from a separate PC or my phone and make adjustments or get reports too.

NICKIA from John Ed's Cafe

Phenomenal experience

I have used this system for my restauraunt for the past 3 years and love it. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a POS thats easy to program sale items, keep track of inventory. Absolutely everything that you could ask for.

Pros

multifunctional product, that I can access from multiple devices with ease, employee clock in and bookeeping services are awesome

Omarie from K08 Sounds

Great for Entertainers and Traveling Workers

Pros

Square works great! I use this for DJ gigs and studio sessions and it is so easy to use when Im out on the road. Its saves services, allows tips, and takes customer cards just from the phone. Super convenient and easy to use. A lot of services I pay people for also use Square and its really becoming popular.

Cons

They have a small charge for transactions which can cut into profit a little. Also I do not recommend for large companies.

Rose from Ole Fox

Simple and fairly priced

Wish they would come up with a point of sale that tracked inventory by vendor and set reorder points and purchase orders.

Pros

We have never had a problem with any "downtime". This is important because if a customer can't use their credit card, that's it, you lost the sale. Super easy to use. Very fast. No gimmicks with them trying to sell you useless upgrades. Rates are fair. No monthly fees. Love it.

Cons

Wish it integrated with lightspeed, but maybe it's better if it works on it's own because if lightspeed goes down, we can at least still take a credit card payment.

Kristen from Lice clinics of america-danvers

Use friendly

I have a high volume business that's I use square for. I like this POS system because it is user-friendly and very easy to teach my staff. My dislike is the cost/ transAction. Yes, the equipment is free when you start, but the percentage charge per transaction is much higher than other companies so it's not the cheapest option.

Pros

Ease of use, electronic receipts

Cons

High processing fees

Jordan from Paradise Valley Spas

Square is the easiest POS system I've ever used. At first it was a short term solution but we have integrated it into all our retail stores.

Pros

What I like the most about this product is the ease of use not only for our salespeople but also for the customers. We are also able to pull spreadsheets to analyze what products are more popular in different cities in the Bay Area. This helps us with our marketing efforts and allows us to stay in stock on the most popular items.

Cons

As ridiculous as this might sound, we haven't run into any cons about this product yet. Aside from the little training and set up required, this is a great POS system for all consumer-facing retail stores.

Daniel from Baptist College of Ministry

So easy to use!

Pros

I use this product to sell products when I am traveling. It is so easy to use, and everyone on my team can easily access the account on their separate devices. It has definitely been a huge reason we have sold more products at our table at each location we set up! Very easy to enter each product and price into the account. Also very easy to get a summary of sales during any time period.

Cons

I have had several issues with the credit card reader not recognizing cards. And most people do not like having their card swiped multiple times for obvious reasons. Also, many people struggle when they have to sign their signature at the end of a purchase. It's easy to sign when it's on a tablet, but a cellphone is much more difficult.

May 2016

Wen from Old Yak Bazaar

2.5

May 2016

Great POS for small businesses, but with limited features

Pros

It's very easy to use and learn. Slick product design and intuitive screen options make it easy to train staff on the terminal. It's a great product for a small business to begin with since the hardware is affordable and the pricing plan is straightforward, but I'm afraid that it's a product that business like us might soon grow out of as the features are limited.

Cons

It has limited features and it not recommended for retail businesses that need specific requirements like gift receipts or if you need to track costs of goods.

Kristin from Sound Wave Events

Helpful platform with business friendly tools!

I have used Square for about 5 years and it has streamlined the payment processing for my small business in big ways. They have made it easy for me to collect payments, send invoices, and track my reporting. There are also a ton of other features that I haven't needed to use but can see great value in. I highly recommend Square!

Pros

I love the Square app! It has a lot of functionality for me to process client payments, send client invoices, track sales and deposits and so much more. I also love that payments are auto-deposited next business day. Saves me a step in my accounting. The ease of use of the platform makes this my go to app for payment processing.

Cons

I don't have any cons to address. Over the years, Square has added functionality to meet all of my needs.

Angela from Constant Creations Co

Great plug and play whether in the shop or craft shows!

Pros

I have always found this software user friendly straight out of the box, completely plug and play...we set it up in less than 10 min! It is great for brick and mortar and at craft shows.

Cons

The customer service was nice, but slow to respond if we had questions. When running a shop when we have an issue at checkout, we would like faster customer service.

Tarik from Morostar

Easy way for anyone to receive CC payments

Pros

Great for those that don't want the hassle of contracts, bulky equipment, and variable rates. Especially handy for smaller business that really don't do too much CC sales but want to give the client the option.

Cons

The rates are high as compared to volume based credit card merchants. Can be limited in what industries the UI and options are designed around.

safiye from istanbul cuisine

easy to use

def recommend esp if you are new to the industry. super efficient, reports are detailed.

Pros

super user friendly. our staff and we are new owners. had not much previous experience. this is really easy to learn and practice software.

Cons

some hardware issues with printer and cables . we had to turn off and on to get it worked a few time, but usually no issues

Sophie from SOPHIE BLAKE DESIGNS

Loving Square here at Sophie Blake NY

Pros

I love how everything is centrally managed and all the functionality is streamlined through square. Allot of other POS's don't offer customer management, employee management as a one stop shop, but Square does. Also the POS is super user friendly and easy to use and train on. We say two thumbs up!

Cons

I wish they would offer a more competitive transaction processing fee for businesses doing higher volume. The 2.75% rate starts to get expensive once you hit a certain threshold. Capturing customers information and lots of duplication. Mail chimp doesn't seem to be synching up to the client list in the POS.

Savannah from Belle Medical

SIMPLE AND EASY!

Square is amazing!

Pros

Square is perfect for any business that accepts payment. They make it really easy with the use of iPads, phones, computers, and it makes it easy to track sales.

Cons

I don't really have any! My only request would be that you can switch between locations within the Dashboard without having to log out and back in.1

Joel from Joe East Inc

Good, but Not Great. Not Feature Rich

I really like Square and their customer support is fantastic! They are a great fit for small retailers, say stores with less than 250 SKUs, and a handful of employees. If you fit that bucket you should give them a serious look. If you have more than 250, really over 1000 products, I would look else where. Their system is not designed for retailers selling product counts over that. They really designed it to be a perfect fit for coffee shops, ice cream stores or retailers like that. Very small number of products and usually only one or two locations. They do not do multi-location reporting well, inventory tracking is hugely lacking and the ability for staff to search products or have them grouped in meaningful ways to make the POS useable when you get over 250 SKUs are all lacking. So I recommend Square based on what you are needing and the size of your organization. Sometimes they are a great fit, other times they are not.

Pros

- Very Simple point of sale system makes training staff easy. - Handles all of your merchant and POS needs from one vendor - General reports and user controls are great; managers can adjust a register and staff instantly see the changes - Customer experience is good and the built-in surveys are great

Cons

- Not designed for serious retailers, or stores that have more than 1000 SKUs - The interface is not designed well to handle long product names, variants or descriptions; it is very easy for staff to miss ring items with variants when there is a large number of them. - No way to really sort or store sections of products beyond a simple teir structure. If your store has a need for more than one level of product type, for example: apparel > t-shirts > athletic > custom prints, you are not going to be have products stored properly in the POS where they can be looked up easily. - Easy ability to update products in mass and inventory tracking are lacking which is a must for serious retailers

Sandra from North Star Counseling of Jackson

Super easy to use and perfect for my small business

Pros

I love square! I researched several different credit card companies and was nervous about trying square. I have no regrets. It is super easy to use. I like the chip reader and phone app. I get paid the next day without issue. The fees are straightforward.

Cons

Its hard to find a con. The fees can be a little pricey but they are not out of line with other companies. While I like the phone app, the website can be a little difficult to navigate at times.

Kyle from VSC Fire and Security

Square is great but need right expectations

I would look at it for any POS needs but if not, try to find a workaround. If still can't, look elsewhere as it can't be tailored or adjusted.

Pros

Square is very easy to use, great reporting, outstanding performance, collaboration and scaling. We easily achieved 100% deployment and use within weeks.

Cons

It can be difficult to get support and even harder to do integrations. Some features and functionality is just not there so unless your a small shop with basic POS requirements, look with a skeptical eye.

December 2015

Katharine from Devil's Teeth Baking Co.

Good for smaller scale operations. I.e. Garage sale, bakery

Pros

Easy to set up and use. Best thing is that it's all done via IPad so you don't have to deal with all the big hardware of most other POS systems.

Cons

The customer service isn't the best. They started out really well, and became semi unavailable when they became bigger. Product can't do a lot of simple functions, like discounting items when a gift card is used. Biggest thing is the lack of a free clock in/out portion of it. I don't need to have it be my accountant for me, I just want to track the hours of my staff.

Jean from Tahoma Vista Fiber Mill

Industry: Museums and Institutions

High Tech Retail Possible in a Rural Setting

Pros

I love that I can take card payments at my small rural farm store. It allows me to make high dollar item sales that I otherwise might miss out on because customers don't always carry that much cash. I also don't have to run to the bank in town to make deposits.

Cons

I'm a little bit wary of using the offline mode, but so far I haven't had to. I occasionally have problems getting the chip reader to connect, but I can always default to the swipe reader.

Lisa from Small B&B Cafe

Expensive, but good

Customer service has been good and it has only gone down once for us.

Pros

Love that it's easy, intuitive, and adaptable. So many things I can do with it that weren't possible with the old card readers. They always try to stay on top of the curve.

Cons

Realistically, I shouldn't be using it. For a small business, it's expensive. Was also frustrated that they told me my rates would go down once we reached a certain volume level, but they later back tracked and said they couldn't do it.

Jackeline from Andaman Spa

I really enjoy it

Its great for any type of business

Pros

Its very easy to use, the set up its very friendly and its awesome because it gives you a breakdown of your monthly sales and annual sales.

Cons

I honestly dont anything bad to say about square, Ive been using it for 5 years now and I highly recommend it