Square for Retail

Square for Retail Reviews

RATING:

Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"I love that it will track my inventory, that I can sell offsite with it, I can customize discounts and tax rates."
  • icon"Their support team is fantastic as well. When I've had to get in touch with them I got help quick and without hassle."
  • icon"I love how easy to use Square is and the look is very in trend. Square makes the buying experience easy for me and my customers."
  • icon"Also, a better integration for Quickbooks online. I'm scared to add this integration because it gets horrible reviews."
  • icon"I try Squareup.com and it takes me to my Weebly dashboard. Very confusing and frustrating."
  • icon"However, for the scanner to work, the terminal must be plugged into an outlet, which robs it of its portable nature. Additionally, adding inventory via the Terminal is cumbersome and slow."

Have you used Square for Retail and would like to share your experience with others?

All Square for Retail Reviews

Janna

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Square is super easy and I love it.

Shawn

Fantastic!

I have been using this register for sometime now. I use it for all my transactions and even take it with me for fairs and markets. I do all my inventory with it and the barcode scanner it’s simple. I have low inventory alerts set up to remind me to reorder products. You can create a personalized customer file for each customer and track their sales. I have square loyalty which lets you set up a customer loyalty program to reward regular customers.

Pros

I love how it’s so easy to use and very user friendly. I have the Square Register which has a large screen for me and a small screen in the front for the customers transaction. It is easy to add inventory by name and barcode with the barcode scanner. You can set up alerts, and I can still use it for cash transactions. I have the cash drawer accessory so it opens as soon as soon as you complete cash sale. It is basically a very advanced and convenient cash register that isn’t large and bulky.

Cons

The price is a little steep for small businesses. You can get the system that requires an iPad but I didn’t see the point. If you don’t have an iPad you have to purchase that in addition. I settled for the standalone register.

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

I switched because this was more lightweight and more advanced. I needed a better way for inventory and I wanted to initiate a customer loyalty program.

Janet

Great Point of sale system

Awesome and after using two other point of sale systems we have had no issues with the system going down. Very reliable.

Pros

Easy to use! Download the App and get setup. I just recently bought their Square Register and it is awesome. Customer service will help you get the right APP for your business.

Cons

Been using their credit card device for well over a year and have never had any issues. There isn’t one thing i don’t like.

Reasons for choosing Square for Retail

Worked best for my business, and has so many options. Marketing, payroll, loyalty etc.

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

Terrible customer service, terrible app and so many issues with their credit card equipment going down.

October 2022

No cash payment option

Pros

Has loads of features that would help our business improve

Cons

Does let you process cash on delivery payments and doesn't make this clear at the start.

Laura

August 2022

Overall, it has been a great experience. From loading up all our merchandise to swiping the guest's card/taking cash, all have come together nicely. We have rotated stock, added new and taken out old, and updating the system has been very clear and easy. The inventory tracking helps us know what we need and don't need, saving us money and allowing us to know what's in demand. No complaints here!

Pros

The software is easy to manage on the back end and front end.

Cons

It serves its purpose well, no complaints here!

Coree

Perfect On-the-Go Payment Solution!

When I first began using Square, it was simply for fundraisers. My husband and I would participate in events, and we would allow patrons to make donations to the charity we were fundraising for. Now, as I begin designing my online store for home decor and crafts that I sell, there was no guessing on where I would have my store set up. Square has truly made it that easy to work with, that I suggest using them to everyone I know!

Pros

I absolutely LOVE the ease of use of Square! The app allows you to literally set up your shop in mere minutes, and then allows you to input your products with prices for an easy tap to add it to your customer's cart. I especially love the Square business card that holds all my funds, which makes keeping business money separate from family funds so much easier!

Cons

I honestly cannot think of anything that I do not love about this software. It is designed in a way that allows even the least techy person to set up their store and products, and go through a checkout seamlessly.

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

PayPal's app is not as intuitive, and is not as easy to use as the Square for Retail app is. If you are just punching in amounts and charging cards, it was fine. But adding products with variations just became too difficult, and led me away from wanting to use them for my online store.

Industry: Publishing

A Useful Solution for your eCommerce Needs

Overall I am pleased with Square because, for my business at least, it covers most of my needs. Set up could not be easier. Simply log-in to the application and begin creating store items. You can even allocate a low inventory alert so that you will always know if your inventory supplies are dwindling. It's very easy to assign a bank account to Square and the approval process, unlike some eCommerce providers, is almost instantaneous. Setting up the seller page is also easy and Square offers a variety of templates to choose from. No programming knowledge is needed and the page is largely WYSIWYG, so there are no surprises. The site displays well across PCs, tables, and phones.

Pros

Square for Retail enables you to easily create an online eCommerce store, list your products, and sell them. It's quite simple to use, and this is perhaps what is the best reason to use Square. It is particularly useful for small businesses trying to build sales via social media and other online avenues. At the same time, it is useful for brick-and-mortar stores as well. While I use it for online sales, several of my colleagues use Square in their stores.

Cons

A big drawback is that Square (as of the writing of this review) is unable to process payments from outside the United States. Thus, if you anticipate worldwide sales, Square may not be the best solution for your business. A second drawback is that it can be difficult to reach a live customer service representative. Unlike most companies, in which one simply phones in for service, Square requires that you first create a trouble ticket (at which point you will be assigned a case number). You then use the case number when phoning customer service. It's not horrible but in today's business world it's kind of annoying and time consuming. Square also lacks live online help, which is another downside.

Reasons for choosing Square for Retail

Square provided everything we needed for our small business in terms of selling online. Additionally, with the Square reader, we are able to take our store to any event. For example, as a book publisher, we can sell our books at writers' conferences and not be limited to accepting cash only. The portable Square reader enables us to accept credit card payments and to keep inventory and accounting records via the Square store front. Ultimately I would rate Square a 10 (on a scale of 1-10) were it not for the restrictions that prevent us selling to international customers on the web. If this isn't a concern for your business, then I definitely recommend that you look into this selling solution.

Grace

Industry: Individual & Family Services

November 2022

Not quite sure what the difference between this and Square Point of Sale Are??

Pros

There was a free plan option which I appreciate. I am not a huge business but it's great to have access to a more robust feature set which I think is what Square for Retail offers beyond the traditional Square app.

Cons

I have to stick with my title.. for my size of a business (small) there weren't really any features unique to the Retail version as opposed to the traditional Square App. Square for Retail was a little more convoluted in my opinion, the traditional Square POS app was more my style, straight to the point!

Excellent Software with Hardware Shortcomings

Overall, Square for Retail is a powerful software that allows you to take sales portably with a very small footprint. However, the hardware has catching up to do.

Pros

Square easily handles transactions for our church book stall. It provides up-to-date inventory and online reporting for tax purposes. You can easily add sales, promotions, and other tailor-made functions.

Cons

What I like least about this software is the hardware. We utilize the Square Terminal, which was attractive as a portable register in that it takes credit cards via swipe and chip, but also prints receipts. The optional scanner is even nicer to use. However, for the scanner to work, the terminal must be plugged into an outlet, which robs it of its portable nature. Additionally, adding inventory via the Terminal is cumbersome and slow. Imagine typing in inventory titles using a small smart phone that is slower than a smart phone.

Reasons for choosing Square for Retail

Square for Retail was a more reputable brand with better rates via the Terminal and had more attractive hardware in its Terminal product.

Itzak

Perfect POS for small business owners

Incredibly user friendly, nicely designed interface and overall no issues.

Pros

Square pretty much takes all the leg work out of setting up a POS system for any business, but I'll speak specifically as a small business owner. -If you're a first time small business owner, save yourself the headache and just go with Square; you might be able to get a lower merchant fees rate with another service, but then you have to deal with the hassle of setting up a separate POS register, possibly a separate app you'd have to setup on an iPad if that's what you plan to use, setting up the merchant account, etc. With Square, it's all wrapped into one easy setup. -Easy to setup on an iPad, create a catalog of items to sell and process payments -The item catalog screen is very user friendly and customizable -Doing refunds is easy -Reports are incredibly easy to run -Square integrates with QuickBooks online, so it's been seamless to link all my Square sales to my accounting books and makes my tax filings much more accurate -Creating invoices is also easy and gives a professional look to my invoice emails -Ability to create forms that require signature, so no need for another digital signature service (unless you need more details, see Cons below)

Cons

-I wish you could have the same virtual terminal on the iPad on desktop as well. There have been times when my iPad crapped out and had to use my laptop, and it's not the same experience. -If you're using the signature service for forms that you need to send out, it only records the signature itself and nothing else. Either it's a user error on my part, or they need to update it, but it needs more customization.

Joshua

A great and easy way for receiving payments.

Pros

I really like how sleek, modern, and clean this method for receiving payment works. It has a very modern GUI, with large clear numbers and values as opposed to the majority of credit card readers that have much more pixelated appearances and significantly smaller font sizes in comparison. Also, the ease of the option of signing when required with a finger on a touchscreen device is better than the alternatives available today such as signing with a physical pen or a stylus for digital screens. These features save time at checkout which in turn increases efficiency, and as my time is very valuable to me, I greatly appreciate these factors that contribute to the ease of use.

Cons

While there is not much to dislike, I have noticed that sometimes cards are not read as easily with this software at times. While this is perhaps more a function of the hardware used to swipe or scan credit or debit cards, I have noted a bit of a trend with this when using Square with certain cards while performing with other card types have been flawless. This makes me suspicious if it is related to a software issue. Otherwise, I have no complaints about Square.

Elizabeth

Square Payments Processing is a good credit card processing system

Square is very convenient specially attending off-site events. We were able to get it up and going at any time. Other Points of Sales software is very clunky when it comes to a mobile application. Because of the versatility and ease of use, we do recommend it for small businesses.

Pros

Square is a payment processing system with supporting systems such as Point of Sale. We initially did the trial period to determine if it meets our requirements. It was very user-friendly and easy to use. The training was easy for the staff. If we had any issues, customer support from Square was always available. Sometimes we did have a short wait, but issues were always resolved.

Cons

Square didn't have a many features as other Point of Sales software. Reporting and analytics were pretty limited. The software did have some, but not as much as we needed. Support was available, but sometimes we had to wait to get help.

Reasons for choosing Square for Retail

This is the same as stated above regarding convenience of use.

Edgar

Small business turned Large with Square

Square has helped my business scale to greater heights, more than I could have imagined. The POS is a great addition. My favorite feature is the management of customers, receipts, and automated thank you messages. If I was not using Square but ran into someone using it, I would surely be jumping ship.

Pros

Square is free and easy to maneuver. With no experience, Square appointments made it easy to start my business and manage it. Customers can book on the platform and I can manage appointments and inventory, as well as run my website.

Cons

Square is easily the first choice for anyone trying to start a business. However, some features may seem a challenge to access without any guidance or guide. An example is learning about taxes being applied the first time I used the POS system. Coincidentally, the party I was conducting business with was a tax-exempt business and I had no idea how to bypass the tax.

Chase

Industry: Facilities Services

Great for entrepreneurs

It is very easy to use and convenient for my customers

Pros

The ease of use for this product is amazing. I love how you can make a sale with the virtual terminal by either swiping a card or sending an invoice.

Cons

The fees per use can be cumbersome. However all pay portals have some sort of fee to use their product.

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

Looks more professional and the way that charge back are handled more professionally.

A great tool for any small business

Pros

Both interfaces are very easy to use. There are many features to make your business look professional, like sending receipts via email and text and asking for feedback after a transaction. Adding line items is very easy, which is convenient for businesses that are changing prices or items frequently.

Cons

As much as I love this product it could definitely still use some tweaking. The biggest complaint is the fact that you are forced to buy multiple card readers for your iPad because they stop reading cards after a while which subsequently forces you to enter the card manually which you are then charged more money for.

Steve

Square - Useful for Churches as Well!

We have used Square to help facilitate receiving CC payments from our "customers" in both our church's coffee shop and book resource center, and it has been great! I would definitely recommend this to any church trying to open a coffee shop or book resource center of their own.

Pros

I appreciate how Square has so easily integrated into our church's in-house coffee shop and also our church's book resource center (like a small book store). Square just makes the running of our coffee shop and book resource center so EASY!

Cons

The only drawback that I can see is that, in our church, we have a population of individuals who may be unfamiliar with the idea of swiping a credit card through a device attached to an iPad... I can see how the "newness" of this tool might be daunting to some individuals (and thus potentially hinder them from using it), but on the whole, this is a very SMALL concern. So far, the "pros" have FAR outweighed the "cons"!

One Stop, Square for Retail

Auditing inventory is so easy, you can set alerts to remind you when stock gets low. I can collect money anywhere I am and online. This gets deposited in my bank account within 24 hours usually. The reports are easy for anyone to understand. I can also get a vendor sales report so I can see which of my vendors have the hottest selling items.

Pros

I love that I do not need any other applications to manage my payments and inventory. I have everything at my finger tips with this application.

Cons

I know some people complain about the service charges. 2.6% plus $.10 per transaction at the time of this review.

Reasons for choosing Square for Retail

We chose Square because everyone we knew was using it and were happy. We do all sorts of things from construction to sales and Square gave us some versatility in payment options. Square also allowed us to stop taking checks and skipped all the hassle of collection.

Larry