All Square for Retail Reviews

Janna

2 - 10 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed January 2021

Square is super easy and I love it.

Shawn

Retail, 1 employee

Reviewed November 2019

Fantastic!

I have been using this register for sometime now. I use it for all my transactions and even take it with me for fairs and markets. I do all my inventory with it and the barcode scanner it’s simple. I have low inventory alerts set up to remind me to reorder products. You can create a personalized customer file for each customer and track their sales. I have square loyalty which lets you set up a customer loyalty program to reward regular customers.

PROS

I love how it’s so easy to use and very user friendly. I have the Square Register which has a large screen for me and a small screen in the front for the customers transaction. It is easy to add inventory by name and barcode with the barcode scanner. You can set up alerts, and I can still use it for cash transactions. I have the cash drawer accessory so it opens as soon as soon as you complete cash sale. It is basically a very advanced and convenient cash register that isn’t large and bulky.

CONS

The price is a little steep for small businesses. You can get the system that requires an iPad but I didn’t see the point. If you don’t have an iPad you have to purchase that in addition. I settled for the standalone register.

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

I switched because this was more lightweight and more advanced. I needed a better way for inventory and I wanted to initiate a customer loyalty program.

Caleb

Retail, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2020

Square Retail works great but the customer service is terrible

Overall it has been a great tool and finding a better solution has been tough. I have checked numerous POS systems and I end up just staying with square. I wish they would update there new register system like the retail app. I also wish they had better customer service. Without fail every time I have contacted square they say they will have to look further into the situation and contact me back but they never do. It has happen every time I have contacted square.

PROS

The software is great to do all transactions, returns and exchanges. I like the fact that it prints a barcode at the bottom of the receipt so when a customer comes back for a return we just scan the bottom of the receipt and the transaction pops right up.

CONS

I end up getting the new square register in hope that it would act just like the retail app for the Ipad. The fact is that square won't update the new register. It has no exchange option like the Ipad app does and you end up needing to set up both the Ipad and register. Square has known about this issue for years now. You can see the complaints on the square forum page. Square also does not have a spot for barcodes so you end up having to put your barcodes in the sku spots. The loyalty point system also has some problems. When you do a return it doesn't automatically take points back from the customer account.

Reason for choosing Square for Retail

These other products lacked to many other features that I couldn't make the switch. It had a lot to do with the rewards program and the back office software.

Crayle

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Used less than 6 months

Reviewed June 2021

I'm Not Sure Why This Is The Default For So Many

I haven't processed any sales. I don't trust the company enough to handle my money. They claim to be for mobile businesses, but require a desktop to manage your account. Many pages of their site were broken when I did my set up. Their customer service leaves much to be desired.

PROS

The fee structure is lower than some, and they send first time users a free mag strip reader. That's really the only benefit I can see.

CONS

-You can't manage your account from your phone. Most options are grayed out and say "desktop required." -Once I got to my desktop, the site was really buggy and hard to use. For instance, little black dialogue boxes telling what kind of info to put in each field hover over the space you actually need to type in when you do your account set-up. When you hit the "X" in the corner of the dialogue box that is blocking your view of the typing area, a full-screen pop-up asks "Are you sure you want to leave setup?" No, I don't want to leave setup, I just need this box out of the way. My first form that I filled out was full of typos, because I couldn't see the field to type in through the black dialogue boxes. -Their customer service is REALLY bad. When I had trouble signing up for the free card reader, I used the WORST customer service bot I've ever seen. It just kept sending bursts of 3-5 messages with links to broken pages on their website based on key words before I could even fully type my question. Then the human customer service rep I chatted with wanted to add things to my cart for me and kept trying to assume the sale before actually addressing my problem.

Marc

Retail, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2020

Daily User

Totally love it. i'm happy with the features, and I'm sure that by being well funded I will continue to see new features come up, unlike software I previously used that wasn't as well funded.

PROS

I enjoy easily keeping track of my customer's info, including the ability to create my own custom fields and also group customers. These features make it easy for me to note a history with a customer, aside from just their purchases. Grouping customers allows me to enter a location, find the group of customers there, and know everyones name as a result of this reference

CONS

I wish it were easier to transfer my client lest from other software, but thats the nature of software I guess.

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

CODA required too much hands-on and coding, which is not my forté. Nor do I have the time.

Mayela

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2019

The simplest payment processing system

I have a small a small business and the square software works well for my needs

PROS

The software is very easy to install. The pairing of the software with either the magstripe or the contactless reader is quite fast. Processing payments is a breeze and both readers can be used on the go or a set location.

CONS

I don’t have any problems with the software itself. It would be nice to have a better rate for card processing.

Reason for choosing Square for Retail

I liked the fact that there was not contract or installation fees. Also there is no monthly or retal fees. The equipment is inexpensive.

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

I was unsatisfied with the service and the fees paid

Janna

Arts and Crafts, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2020

Square is super easy and I love it.

Overall, it's awesome, super easy to use and I love it.

PROS

I love how easy it was to start taking credit cards and to use Square as my POS. It syncs to my accounting software automatically and keeps track of all my products, invoices and charges.

CONS

There isn't an automatic section for shipping and I have to add it manually as its own category. Not sure why they haven't built this into their invoicing platform yet even though so many people have asked about this.

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

Easier to use and keep a list of my products as my POS. The swiper is also easier to use.

Nicola

Entertainment, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2021

Easy solution for taking payment

Square has made it so easy to run the retail side of my business along with saving me a ton of money on fees my old bank charged for credit card processing.

PROS

In the past I've used traditional forms of credit card accepting machines and software provided by my bank. Very expensive and cumbersome. Square has made accepting credit cards cost effective and very easy. The retail setup has made keeping inventory easy along with sorting out sales taxes. The advantage of using AP on phone when not in store is extremely helpful and again very easy to use.

CONS

No real cons, If I were to get picky I'd say initial set up takes a bit of time but nothing really worth complaining about.

Reason for choosing Square for Retail

No one offered all that Square did for the price.

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

Cost was much better with square, speed of deposits was better with Square and customer service is better with Square.

Alex

Food & Beverages, 2-10 employees

The Only Way To Accept Payments For Small Business

I recommend using Square for small business purposes only. That being said, they have a wonderful option for POS.

PROS

The Square plugin was super easy to use and fit most devices. The application is simple and adjustments were easy to make changes to. Paperless receipts are the best way to go about transactions.

CONS

The price was a little high for the software. Using the plugin had its disadvantages if you use a phone and that phone has a protective case. The application sometimes froze.

Reason for choosing Square for Retail

The popularity among companies meant ease of use.

Trincell

Consumer Services, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2021

Easy Sales and Storefeont

I was the one assisting a friend with setting up her storefront while working on mine as well. Through mine I invoiced to accept payment for items on hand or orders personally placed with me.

PROS

User friendly platform to load your storefront with products. Present templates that are also customizable to your liking. Integration of an inventory model to track what you have left on hand.

CONS

Have a plan for your products of offering multiple size and/or color options before entering on the site. It's much harder to edit and change the categories once it's set. Know what your page intent is as well ahead of schedule.

Reason for choosing Square for Retail

Added alternative means for my customers to pay and shop.

Publishing, 2-10 employees

A Useful Solution for your eCommerce Needs

Overall I am pleased with Square because, for my business at least, it covers most of my needs. Set up could not be easier. Simply log-in to the application and begin creating store items. You can even allocate a low inventory alert so that you will always know if your inventory supplies are dwindling. It's very easy to assign a bank account to Square and the approval process, unlike some eCommerce providers, is almost instantaneous. Setting up the seller page is also easy and Square offers a variety of templates to choose from. No programming knowledge is needed and the page is largely WYSIWYG, so there are no surprises. The site displays well across PCs, tables, and phones.

PROS

Square for Retail enables you to easily create an online eCommerce store, list your products, and sell them. It's quite simple to use, and this is perhaps what is the best reason to use Square. It is particularly useful for small businesses trying to build sales via social media and other online avenues. At the same time, it is useful for brick-and-mortar stores as well. While I use it for online sales, several of my colleagues use Square in their stores.

CONS

A big drawback is that Square (as of the writing of this review) is unable to process payments from outside the United States. Thus, if you anticipate worldwide sales, Square may not be the best solution for your business. A second drawback is that it can be difficult to reach a live customer service representative. Unlike most companies, in which one simply phones in for service, Square requires that you first create a trouble ticket (at which point you will be assigned a case number). You then use the case number when phoning customer service. It's not horrible but in today's business world it's kind of annoying and time consuming. Square also lacks live online help, which is another downside.

Reason for choosing Square for Retail

Square provided everything we needed for our small business in terms of selling online. Additionally, with the Square reader, we are able to take our store to any event. For example, as a book publisher, we can sell our books at writers' conferences and not be limited to accepting cash only. The portable Square reader enables us to accept credit card payments and to keep inventory and accounting records via the Square store front. Ultimately I would rate Square a 10 (on a scale of 1-10) were it not for the restrictions that prevent us selling to international customers on the web. If this isn't a concern for your business, then I definitely recommend that you look into this selling solution.

Laura

Entertainment, 1 employee

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed July 2021

The best Point of Purchase credit card processing

I am very pleased with Square overall. Compact size, quick processing, and all of my customers are comfortable using it.

PROS

There are so many great features with the Square for retail. The ease of use is at the top of my list. It hooks up with my phone and never misses a beat.

CONS

I have not had any issues using this software. Even when I dont have a signal, it keeps the transaction in que and processes it when a signal is present.

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

I was having trouble getting a good signal with Paypal here. Also, Square goes directly into my bank account whereas Paypal had to be manually transferred.

Nate

Music, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2017

I have mixed feelings. I like the look/feel of the old app better. It seemed more user friendly.

PROS

I like the ability to transfer inventory from one store to another. I like the ability to have employees clock-in/clock-out to keep track of pay and what items a specific employee sells. I like the ability to adjust quantities from the app instead of just the dashboard.

CONS

I don't like that I can't view another store's inventory from the app. Very often, I find myself saying, "We don't have that in-stock here, but I know it's in-stock at our other location." It'd be very helpful to be able to type in an item and view quantity in-stock for all locations. I also HATE that there are not "tickets" available anymore. I own a music store that offers instrument repairs and we also have special orders. For instrument repairs - the amount is variable depending on what needs done and I also notate the transaction with the instrument type, brand, serial number - what parts were used, and what was done under the "Quantity and Notes" section. I don't want to have to look up that information and type into a transaction with the customer standing at the register. In the other app, I could do all of that when no one was in the store and save it as a ticket. Then when they come into the store, all I had to do was pull up the ticket and they were good to go. Same with special orders. I don't want to add inventory into Square, assign it a price, add the SKU, put it into a category, set the quantity, etc., if I'm not going to STOCK the item. So for special orders, I like to just type in the information under "Custom Amount," but I do like to notate the transaction under "Quantity and Notes" with the title and SKU so I can look back and see what it was. I don't want to do that typing when a customer arrives, so I prefer to save it as a ticket. Now I can't do that.

Julianne

Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2019

Best POS system I've found

As a small business owner, I would highly recommend Square over other services that have higher fees and monthly charges. It's easy to use and I almost never experience glitches, so customer service isn't even needed that much.

PROS

Despite what I wrote in my "cons", this really is the best software I've found for card sales for my company. Most of them charge you a monthly fee in addition to a percentage of every sale, which thankfully is not the case with Square. It's very easy to use if you're not familiar with POS software. Customer service is also very easy to reach and quite friendly from my experience.

CONS

Unfortunately, you have to buy their most expensive software to only have 2.4% taken out from every credit card purchase. Otherwise, you'll be charged more. I know that's just how POS systems are... but it's too bad we are charged a percentage of every purchase to simply use their product, given it's not their money. I also wish there were more customization features available. I just used Quickbooks (which is compatible with Square) instead of Square itself to do all the customizing so I also didn't have to put Square advertisements on all of our receipts, which doesn't look very professional.

Joshua

Reviewed July 2018

A great and easy way for receiving payments.

PROS

I really like how sleek, modern, and clean this method for receiving payment works. It has a very modern GUI, with large clear numbers and values as opposed to the majority of credit card readers that have much more pixelated appearances and significantly smaller font sizes in comparison. Also, the ease of the option of signing when required with a finger on a touchscreen device is better than the alternatives available today such as signing with a physical pen or a stylus for digital screens. These features save time at checkout which in turn increases efficiency, and as my time is very valuable to me, I greatly appreciate these factors that contribute to the ease of use.

CONS

While there is not much to dislike, I have noticed that sometimes cards are not read as easily with this software at times. While this is perhaps more a function of the hardware used to swipe or scan credit or debit cards, I have noted a bit of a trend with this when using Square with certain cards while performing with other card types have been flawless. This makes me suspicious if it is related to a software issue. Otherwise, I have no complaints about Square.

Jackie

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2019

Easy to use for all people

We need to be able to track which massage therapist saw which client, and with the notes section, we are able to do so with ease. We can also track commission on products that way making sure no transaction gets left behind. We also use square for our payroll. Having it all linked to one account is great!

PROS

Square was very easy to navigate. It has many options to customize the software to fit any business’s needs. You can write a custom note about each transaction, making it easy to review the register at the end of the day.

CONS

I haven’t ran into any problems with the software. As a massage & wellness center, we often do events and need to take our ‘cash register’ with us. Square makes it easy using the same credit card reader for in house transactions or cell phones on the go. It is all tracked the same way.

Kristen

Arts and Crafts, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Easy and efficient

Organizing all products sold, in stock, and custom orders.

PROS

I can keep my sales, products, and inventory in one place. No problems every occur when using. Great software which helps me keep our business organized.

CONS

I haven't encountered any problems. Everything is working efficiently like it should. It even gives suggestions.

Better consumer reviews

Elena

Civic & Social Organization, 201-500 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed December 2018

Calling All Scout Troop Leaders: Square is great for your booth sales! (and other small businesses)

I'm a Girl Scout Troop leader, and using Square has revolutionized our cookie booth sales. Now when someone says they don't have cash, we can give them the option to pay with a card,w which has gotten us a tom of sales we would otherwise have messed out on. We make a tiny margin on cookie sales as a troop, but Square's charges are so reasonable that it still works out very much to our benefit to use it. I highly recommend it for any kind of booth-style vendor, whether you're a troop, a church holding a bake sale or rummage sale, or a small business person vending at farmers' markets and craft fairs.

PROS

Super easy to set up, easy to process payments, easy to generate receipts, and easy to track sales. Plus it's a very reasonable cost and lets you be much more accessible as a seller - no more juggling tons of loose cash!

CONS

It can sometimes be glitchy, and obviously only works if there's a good internet connection. I had some initial problems with my chip reader that forced me to hand-enter a lot of cards, which is time consuming. But on the plus side, that option exists for when there's a problem with the reader.

Russell