What are Square Point of Sale users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Square Point of Sale software through verified user reviews

1,794 Reviews

1,311

• icon"The cost was great for me to start out. It was very easy to train staff on the system as well."
  • icon"I enjoyed the ease of use that Square provided in the initial setup and ease of use."
  • icon"The platform is easy to use, reliable, and given its popularity, very comfortable for customers to engage with. Using Square as my Point of Sale system was a great choice for my mobile food cart."
  • icon"There have been times where the customer was charged twice and times where the customer was never charged at all."
  • icon"It was very disappointing encountering these setbacks while I have a limited time to sell at the farmer's market."
  • icon"That’s my only complaint: the transaction fees and the transfer fees."

Browse all Square Point of Sale Reviews

• Have you used Square Point of Sale and would like to share your experience with others?

ResetShow 1,802 Results

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,802 reviews

Time used: Unspecified

Square POS User Review

Square Makes Running My Business so Simple

I am a big fan of any software that does a lot...and man Square Point of Sale does A LOT!!! It has seriously made running my business so much easier, and even kind of fun. I love how much I can customize it, how detailed I can get with it, but also how easy it is to create invoices and things on the fly. I can use it across multiple devices, making it useful ANYWHERE.

Pros

I like how much I can customize it; that I can use it across all my devices; I can use it anywhere; it creates records for me, helps with taxes, saves client info. All that stuff that can fall between the cracks.

Cons

I'll admit, I haven't come across anything that is a major flaw so far. Any complaint I have is the sort of thing I would encounter with any online POS and/or accounting software - things like the tediousness of entering product/service items to be saved and other repetitive tasks like that.

Reasons for choosing Square Point of Sale

I use Weebly for my website and I saw that it integrates with Square so I hopped over to the Square website and I liked what I saw.

Andrea

Simple and easy

Pros

I like that this is so straight forward and easy. It’s very simple to use and they don’t try to hide a bunch of fees. So clean and simple!

Cons

The only thing that’s sometimes a little frustrating is running reports, it won’t download as pdf. So I have to save it as an image.

Hidden fees and scams

Travis

Terrible service

It’s been the worst experience ever. Would not recommend to anyone. It’s put me in a pinch trying to wait for the payment processing and ended with refunding the money because I was sick of waiting on customer service a week later and the refund will be another week and then processing payment with another company service qb. Payed for material and employees and all said and done this will be a 3-4 week process sense starting the job. As a small business this can make or break you.

Pros

Nothing.. they hold onto your money if it’s a large amount for over 7 days. Their customer service sucks. It’s expensive for card processing.

Cons

Everything.. I just signed up for quick books and it’s a way better platform and you can do bank transfers or card payments right from the invoice. Quickbooks is worth every dollar for there monthly service. It saves you money in the long run.

Jasmine

Best Choice, Hands Down

My experience has been really really good. This is an ideal product, designed simply to make life and business easier. And that's exactly what it does.

Pros

The simple design and ease of use is my favorite! This made taking electronic payment so easy and effortless. Especially during a time where everyone was already stressed enough, contactless payments meant one less stress on everybody.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about this product! It delivers, and for a fraction of what the competitors are charging. What's there not to like?

Reasons for choosing Square Point of Sale

The cost! It was a great cost for my needs, it surpassed what I needed and when or if I expand my business, I know that Square Point of Sale will expand with me.

Super Simple and Works Great

I've had a great experience. No matter where I am, I can make a sale. This option has truly changed how I sell and get paid. My life is a lot easier and I am making more money just by using Square.

Pros

I had my account and POS device set up in minutes. Literally only took like 10-15 minutes total and I could accept payments anywhere.

Cons

I do feel the customer service could be better. Maybe more direct customer service options to make it easier and more effective.

Most Important Tool

Pros

I cannot say enough about Square. This tool single-handedly changed my business from cash only to full merchant services.

Cons

The different fee rates for each form of payment. While these rates are comparable to other vendors, it is just confusing that a different rate is charged based on method used.

Ele

April 2022

With Square my business transitioned!

Pros

Before square, I was clueless, Now with square, I am able to keep everything up to date!

Cons

There is nothing I don't like about square, I am glad I have it!

Muhammad

May 2022

Wanna grow buisness, have Square point of sale

Pros

the feature I like the most is that I can use a mere cell phone to take orders while sitting in my pretty car. isn't it amazing!!

Cons

Well speaking honestly that there is nothing that needs to be improved except the font used in this software. it must be eye-appealing

Heide

Decent, But Has Gotten Overcomplicated

Overall, it’s reasonable. I don’t love the high fees taken out, but it’s a familiar set up that i’ve been using for awhile.

Pros

I like that Square has customizable features that allow you to add your own business branding.

Cons

I do not like that Square has really over complicated itself with so many things in one program, yet separate apps for everything virtually. It seems like things are constantly moving and it’s hard to keep up.

March 2022

Easy to use built for small business

Pros

Square instant direct deposit to your bank comes in handy. Cash flow is important for a small business and waiting for the bank to clear the funds can be an issue, sometimes we need the cash immediately.

Cons

No complaints, I enjoy using Square and haven't had any issues with it.

Leng

May 2022

Square gets the job done

My overall experience has been good. Square POS gets the job done. The user interfase could be more intuitive though, but in general it's ok.

Pros

I use square POS, but also as an online payment processor linked to Wix. We started using the simple and small POS at our organization, but then we upgraded to the one with the big screen and that was a big change. I particularly like about this one that the client is the one swiping the credit card and has privacy deciding on the tips. It allows to start and end the cash drawer, which helps to control the cash better. I also like that when there is no connection it goes to offline mode and one can still run transactions with it.

Cons

The part that I am unsatisfied with is that the integration with WIX does not capture names of events in the description of each transaction. Therefore it's tricky to categorize those transactions in the different income classes for our books. I have to do that by reconciling manually wix reports with square's.

Reasons for choosing Square Point of Sale

We chose square over alternative products because we had already spent over $1000 in POS

Reasons for switching to Square Point of Sale

We still use Stripe because it works better with our donors database. When I started working in the organization both were being used, since we had the investment of the Square POS already, which are pricey, we continued to use Square. However it does not integrates with Bloomerang.

Jacob

Square POS offers new and flexible use

Overall, I would 100% recommend Square for new businesses. Start up costs can be next to nothing and it doesn’t require someone to install it. And NO CONTRACTS :) You can then add on their additional features which should be able to sustain your businesses growth for as long as you need it too. In terms of switching to square, make sure your existing equipment can be reused .

Pros

Square is offering a software that is versatile and also nearly free for a new business that doesn’t have money to spend on start up costs or an existing business that has been ripped off from an expensive POS company. You can literally just use your iPhone with a card swipe. Or for the brick and mortars use their new and sleek looking square register. In terms of interface, Squares basic dashboard is free to the public and can be set up as fast as signing up for a email account. You can learn it’s navigation in a matter of minutes and you are able to subscribe for the extras you need like loyalty, gift cards or marketing. Very simple, very user friendly, and the support is actually helpful.

Cons

Switching from a POS company that requires a lot of upfront infrastructure and training, I don’t have a lot of bad things to say about squares POS and software other than the existing equipment they told us we could use hasn’t necessarily been easy to re use. Also you are not able to get as granular in customizing some features as other softwares

Revel Systems

Reasons for switching to Square Point of Sale

Revel is expensive and requires a lot of upfront costs, contracts and heavy support

Mylinh

Industry: Alternative Medicine

Square POS app

This has been great with no problems! It allows me to bill anywhere and review my billing history. It gives me a breakdown of new clients and how many returning. One thing I would like to see change is the 1099 form. It only gives me one if I sell more than $20K in products a year. I would like to be less and more flexible for small business owners!

Pros

This is portable and accessible from anywhere. I also like that I can send invoices, schedule a time for it to send and set up reminders to the client!

Cons

On the initial setup, my profession was not setup up properly so I was not able to accept HSA or FSA credit cards. It was because there was no option for me as an alternative healthcare provider. Customer service helped me and my issue was fixed!!

Reasons for choosing Square Point of Sale

I actually still have both but the Square app is more user friendly on my smartphone such as invoicing. I use square more for my business.

Shannon

Excellent POS Software

My overall experience with Square POS is amazing. I have recommended this app to so many people. I’ve known about this product since it’s beginning back when you could get a card reader for free on the mail. This app has always been a saving grace for me. Honestly I will never use any other POS.

Pros

This software is so EASY to use. Literally it’s a no brainer. I have used this app in conjunction with StylieOne which was an appointment scheduling app and it made collecting payments from my clients so simple. I love the sales and transaction reports that I have access to because it makes my life easier come tax time. Also this app sends you daily sales reports to your email. The equipment to use with the app is inexpensive.

Cons

There aren’t any cons to the service. Honestly it’s a great service all around. I can’t see how anyone would be disappointed.

Reasons for switching to Square Point of Sale

PayPal Here is great but honestly doesn’t hold a candle to Square. Square allows you to connect it with other services or it can standalone. Customer service is even better and quicker at resolving issues. The layout is better as well.

Bill

Good Day, Bad Day

I’m a bit sad. For 6 years I have been using “Shopkeep” as my point of sale software provider. This is my cash register, and where I enter my inventory descriptions, quantities, prices, customer data and pretty much everything about my business. My sales histories, credit card transactions and, most importantly, 6 years of sales and customer info is stored on a distant Shopkeep cloud…. I think? Six years ago I recall sitting at my kitchen bar and doing endless Google searches and reading endless reviews about the many POS providers and finally narrowing it down to two or three. I absolutely wanted cloud-based with IPad terminals and a small footprint. After doing a few online demos, I chose Shopkeep. And now, six years later, this lukewarm POS marriage with counseling, a lot of arguments and the threat of separation… I started chatting with “Square”. Yep, Square is the biggest cloud-based, IPad POS provider in the country. I am not a sheep, and I hate going with the Walgreens or WalMart of POS systems, but after six years of Shopkeep, I think I finally know what I really want. And for fear of sounding too techie or like a spouse coming out of a bad relationship, I’ll just say, one of the many advantages of being a billion dollar company is you can hire the best developers and programmers money can buy. So, need I say more. It is a wonderful product and no one is even close as to how it operates.

Pros

It operates just like your mind works. It is so logical. It was so simple to upload my inventory and customer data.

Cons

No option for another color system. The white color sticks out like a sore thumb. Otherwise, I would say they nailed it.

Reasons for choosing Square Point of Sale

Credit cards are processed by Square and that eliminated having to deal with a 3rd party. Take it from my experience, these 3rd party processors will try to sneak in fees and make changes on the fly. Square is totally upfront on their reports. No having to decipher.

Reasons for switching to Square Point of Sale

Price kept going up, support was terrible and the reports I needed could only be generated after I exported data and designed my own reports.

Navine

Love Love Square

Overall, I prefer square any day over stripe and PayPal payments.

Pros

Love live square. Love that it can be used for both in store and online payments. It sync with my quickbooks which saves me a whole lot of time. It gives detail daily reports which includes best seller of the day, number of sales, number of products sold and what type of product sold, taxes paid, types of payment the customers used, plus it syncs with my online store inventory. Square gives you all the detail info you never realized you need till you need it all in one place. So easy to use and tailored for retailers. Love the Apple Pay feature too.

Cons

My big con with square integration is it doesn’t sync well with bigcommerce. By that I mean, my online sales gets imported as a custom order so there is no itemized list of what the customers bought. Also with bigcommerce, there is no way for me to take Apple Pay or other digital wallet payments. Square does have digital wallet payment options with their square space shopping cart. Fingers crossed they will fix this custom import stuff soon.

Reasons for switching to Square Point of Sale

PayPal lack the detail reports I needed. Don’t like the navigation site and their payment app is too expensive and clunky compare to square. Plus their agreement and terms also have stuff that makes me wary of them.

Easiest and simplest way to start taking credit card payments for your office

Great. Simple and easy to use. People have said that their customer service is extremely hard to get hold of, but we have used it for 3 years and have had no reason to contact customer service.

Pros

Square POS was very easy to set up. The first card reader you receive (a simple plug in to an iPad or iPhone) was free. We created an account online, attached a bank account, and created a menu of items/services we provide. Then we simply chose photos for each service or product category so that it looks nicer in the app for our employees. The result was a very simple set up and a very clean looking POS. What's also nice is that Square POS is good at being able to refund patients if something was charged incorrectly. They also get receipts if they choose to via text message or email. Changing the prices and adding or deleting items on the service/products you sell is quite easy. You simply log in to the website and make changes. Also, you can turn in options such as giving customers a choice to tip or not. For being an office that used to take cash only, choosing Square POS was the way to go in entering the world of credit cards. We have no regrets and have no had problems. The correct amount of $$ we received (minus 2.75% of every transaction) gets deposited into our account every week. And we no longer have to hire a collections agency to go after those who don't have cash or mail in checks because they will simply pay through credit card now.

Cons

Square does take 2.75% of your transaction each time. You can find cheaper alternatives, but not with the ease of set up and use that comes with Square. The bigger con about Square POS is that if you have take a payment over the phone and manually type in their credit card information instead of typing it, they charge extra at 3.5% of the transaction. Also, the first card reader they send you is a simple swiper, but we found that it didn't always work well. Most cards these days have chips, and if you want a good and safer reading you'll want to purchase the Chip reader at $49. We don't regret the purchase though. Lastly, if you are a restaurant and choose to include the option to allow customers to tip, know that square takes 2.75% of your ENTIRE transaction (including the tip your customers add).

Hannah

Great for anyone wanting to start a business.

It's hard for me to find anything wrong with Square. We have never really been tempted by the competition, and I doubt we will be anytime soon. Perhaps if you are running a store with more products or customers you may benefit from a different system, but I would suggest Square to anyone starting out. You can get set up today, and your customers already know how to use it.

Pros

I was working as a barista in a new coffee location in my local town. The owner of the shop was pretty new to the industry, and didn't have a lot of business experience. She needed a way to run cards, and she was looking at a few different solutions, but I mentioned Square, and she ran to CVS and bought one right away. She wasn't very tech savvy, so I volunteered to get it set up. It probably took me less than an hour. The interface is a breeze to use, customers get it right away when they need to sign for charges or enter phone numbers. There were days that I was the only person on staff, using Square and running between the milk steamer and the register was a breeze. One feature we used often was using a cell phone to take orders while people waited in their cars. This allowed us to reduce the lines in our shop, and keep the morning rush moving. The flat rate pricing makes things extremely easy as well. As someone that is not an accountant, this made my life a lot easier.

Cons

Some of the reporting features can be confusing to read, and more than once have resulted in us blindly refunding customers. Sometimes the card readers gave us problems, but this was usually solved with a quick reset.

Joseph

Industry: Publishing

Own a business? You NEED this product!

If you're a business owner and you sell products or services, especially if you have multiple sites and/or have a mobile sales force, this product is a must. The access is easy, the interface is friendly, and the payment system is quick.

Pros

EASY to set up and use! In short time, we were able to set up our entire library online and make it simple to purchase and sell products. Once set up, everything is available to every member of team, so that one of our book sellers in California has access to the same products as a book seller in Michigan the moment the product is placed online. I also love that we can easily create multiple price points for products and can easily access them from the apps on various mobile devices, desktops etc... The percentages paid to Square are as small as any other you will find, and they deposit funds into your bank account within 24-hours, with same-day options available for an extra, nominal fee. The no hassle, ease-of-deposit, process is a MUST for our small business. Customer service has been off the charts good, and every small issue has been resolved quickly. I also love that so many web sites integrate with Square so that we can maintain one payment portal for 99% of what we do. The technology (swipe devices, Point of Sale stands, card tappers/reader...work flawlessly with each and every device we've thrown at them (iPhones, iPads, Android, laptop...) and they look good, too.

Cons

Honestly, there is little to NOT like about this system. I've tried several others and since switching to Square 5 years ago, I've never looked back.

Kristine

Industry: Museums and Institutions

After research, seemed like best choice on a small nonprofit's limited budget.

Our previous credit card processor charged us PCI compliance fee but didn't help us with our compliance issues. They were happy to charge an additional price. PCI noncompliance fee for more than a year. Switching our four physical locations and website to Square resolved those issues and saved those fees. Square Retail would no doubt help us more with inventory management, but we can't afford the extra monthly cost for the multiple locations. Software Advice and other review sites were very helpful in sorting through the hundreds of options and convincing our board that we could afford to make the switch to Square to help staff reduce time spent to manage both sales and inventory.

Pros

Fairly intuitive and forgiving (can back out of most screens if not sure where to find function you're looking for). Sales and national park visitor center staff really like the system, and have had little difficulty learning it. We have it set up with wi-fi on AT&T U-Verse and satellite internet and on a Verizon wireless-enabled iPad. Offline mode has worked during power interruptions and automatically uploaded sales when back online. Customer support has generally been top notch. Support Center has good information and comments from the Square community, though it can be a challenge to find the answer without fairly extensive searching. The Square stands, compatible printers, and cash drawers were easy to hook up and work well together. Straightforward pricing. Ability to accept multiple forms of payment with the Square chip reader and Virtual Terminal.

Cons

Would be extremely helpful to have searchable, downloadable start-up and user guides instead of having to cut and paste from web pages, which doesn't work well. We had to make a lot of phone calls to tech support during initial set-up, particularly for uploading inventory, because we couldn't find instructions online. Very time-consuming and tricky to upload inventory spreadsheet files that include multiple locations. After all the effort to upload, it appears that each item still has to have inventory tracking enabled manually. We assumed that's why we were entering all the inventory numbers into the spreadsheet. Moving inventory from one location to another also must be done manually. With desktop version of QuickBooks for Mac, Square's daily subtraction of fees for each location's sales vs. all fees charged once monthly by our previous processor has more than quadrupled the time needed to enter sales reports. Switching to cloud version of QuickBooks may help, as transactions can supposedly be downloaded to it. Had to purchase a third-party module to integrate our website's Magento Community ecommerce software with Square, but integration is very incomplete (total charge only is transferred to Square, not items sold, merchandise subtotal, member discount, or shipping charges). We accidentally entered some Virtual Terminal transactions with the wrong location selected and couldn't transfer them to the correct location. Tech support verified that the only option would have been to refund each transaction from the incorrect location and reenter them in the correct one. We bought a recommended scanner but found that we would have to manually replace our existing PLUs with very long barcode numbers for each item to use it.

Theresa

Industry: Sporting Goods

December 2015

Square delivers plenty of features at low cost

Pros

I have run a brick-and-mortar for more than 19 years, and got rid of my traditional merchant account about 5 years ago when fees became outrageous and unstable, and I also needed a mobile payment system as my bank did not offer one. I did some research and settled on Square. The product is intuitive and easy to navigate, and the cost for processing credit cards is reasonable at 2.75% for swiped and 3.5% for manually entered. But that's just the beginning of what they offer: in 2013, the Square Market was an incredible add-on benefit provided for free! If you've needed e-commerce for your business, you know that this service can be costly, so for Square to provide it for merely the cost of each transaction processed is amazing. There are many features to the Market, such as the ability to embed items you are selling into your website, share on social media, etc. While the features aren't customizable to a great extent, it is still a very powerful platform for POS. I particularly appreciate the many reports that can be generated, receipts with custom messages you can send to clients who have shopped online, ability to send invoices, etc. They've added gift cards, which is a nice feature, and they have many third party vendor apps that interface with Square for inventory and financial processes for your business. New features are constantly being added, such as their Customer Engagement to create customer lists and do direct marketing to that list right from Square. This product is a powerful addition to your website and other marketing you may already be doing. I have recommended this product to many small business owners and non-profits, and have been a very happy user since late 2010.

Cons

I have found very little to dislike. I have seen comments online about deposits being held, a lack of ability to communicate easily with Square (initially, they had no phone customer service, but I always got very quick response from their techs via Twitter in the early days), and difficulty in raising deposit limits. I run two small businesses using Square, and for one of them had to ask for a large increase in daily deposits as my business grew. This was handled easily via email communications and took only a few days.

Kristine

Not perfect, but a big improvement!

Pros

Sales staff really like it compared to cash register and credit card terminal (or old-fashioned knuckle-buster imprinter for our remote locations). Predictable fees, which have been lower than for our previous traditional credit card processors, especially for in-person purchases and for American Express. No monthly fees or PCI compliance issues. Square Community is a helpful resource. Dashboard with a variety of reports works pretty well, and it's handy to be able to generate sales reports or search for individual transactions quickly.

Cons

Lack of good integration with Magento Community web software (only bottom line charge comes through). No ability to easily transfer inventory from one location to another. Problem with cash total on drawer report not matching sales report. Usually cash drawer is correct, which means sales are not recorded properly. This problem has existed since at least August 2016, while their engineers work on it. This lowest cost version of Square probably gets less attention than their monthly subscription products. Daily subtraction of processing fees creates a lot more work in QuickBooks than traditional credit card processors charging fees monthly. Customer support has been hit or miss. We've been misled a couple times. After uploading a file with inventory quantities for each product at each location, which took a lot of time to create, we discovered that inventory didn't start counting down with each sale unless we activated that feature on each product individually. That makes no sense. Searching for sales of individual items can be quite slow because it starts loading ALL items before giving a chance to choose.

Christy

Square Point of Sale for Gift Card Sales

Over all, having the ability to sell E-gift cards from my existing website without a monthly fee was a huge game changer for my salon company! We went from selling $200-$300 per year in online gift card sales to well over $2000 the first holiday season my company offered E-gift cards. I believe the increase was due to the great look of the gift card choices, the Square name that everyone knows and how easily I could added the service to my company website.

Pros

I love how easy and fast it was to set up and link into my website. Square gave me the exact dimensions my photo(s) needed to be for the custom branded E-cards for the Square point of sale. In addition, my main reason for choosing Square Point of Sale for my online gift card sales was that there is no monthly fee to offer the E-cards, my company only pay for processing sales.

Cons

Square Point of Sale continues to improve the software for the E- gift cards, however I wish the system would notify me, the owner, when a customer has purchased a gift card. Customers would bring in their digital gift cards for services and since Square Point of Sale did not integrated into our booking software & our company did not realize the card had been purchased staff would have to search to find the purchased card. I wish the gift card sales and the reporting of the gift card sales was more streamlined.

Reasons for switching to Square Point of Sale

Envision charged a monthly fee for online gift card sales plus the processing fees. The E cards did not look as professional as the cards offered by Square Point of Sale. The customer experience was lessened with Envision because customers constantly had trouble with the online checkout. Square is simple for both the store owner and the customer and it's a brand we both know and trust.

Catherine

Industry: Photography

Bad service good product

I love it for everything, even non business activity when my mom is trying to send money for my kids sports. I just manually enter her card, transfer to my account and go get their sports stuff but it really helps the business alot. I think the actual cash register conputers are nice as well as the headphone jack swipe style. Uniquely created for all. The business is growing with all the offered payment options

Pros

I love how easy it is to use. Very easy to put products into the pos. And I love being able to get the square reader when opening an account. Being able to enter cards manually is great too! Invoicing is easy for others to able to pay online. Its a very well rounded system.

Cons

Even though I like the security features square uses, they are also the downfall. Sometimes they put holds on your account when there isnt any suspicious activity and then you have to call and verify and make a big run around mess to finally get your money. It's a pain with customer service but the security is nice so I don't mind too much. Could make that a little easier to deal with though

Reasons for choosing Square Point of Sale

I think it was more recognized by others and the ease of use and style was better. They offer better systems and fit my needs with transfering money more than the others.

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,802 reviews