All Harvest Reviews

Shannon

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2021

Truly Simple and Intuitive to Use Effectively

From day one it was intuitive and easy to use. It's a time tracking tool, so it really doesn't need to be complicated. The creators have managed to perfectly combine functionality and a straightforward interface with enough features to also make it versatile for various types of businesses and projects.

PROS

This software is part of my everyday use, and it just works 100% of the time. When you are managing various clients and tasks, the interface makes it dead simple to task-switch and start logging hours in a different or for a different client. And when it's time to assess how many hours are left to spend on a client, the analytics reporting is easy to understand and offers several great ways to manipulate the data.

CONS

There are features I don't use—mainly the expenses feature—so I cannot speak to how that works. Everything else, however, just works.

Reasons for switching to Harvest

I still use Toggl for freelance projects, so it's not a bad alternative, but the reporting and time overview aspects of those working with/under you is vastly different.

Jessica

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Harvest tracks project hours assigned and used

Daily and weekly resource allocation may be made much easier with the use of forecasting. Easy to use and easy to maintain. A daily or weekly timetable is available to everyone working on the project. Simple to use and simple to keep up to date.

PROS

It's simple to keep track of harvest time. Multiple projects and tasks can be created and assigned to various members of your team. It is possible to keep track of the time spent by each individual and compare it to the total number of hours allotted for the project.

CONS

An outdated and unfriendly user interface. That would be a great and eye-catching interface to view, in my opinion. As a result, it would be the same as receiving a service or conducting research!

Reasons for switching to Harvest

Harvest allows us to keep track of both the time allotted to the project's various tasks and the time actually spent on them. I appreciate that I can replicate the activities from one day to the next to ensure that I am constantly scheduling the same things under the same heading.

Reviewed January 2018

I don't admin Harvest. I only enter time into Harvest. I don't like Harvest.

I personally get no benefits from this software. I'm not a fan.

PROS

So overall I'm not a fan. That said, documenting expenses is the best I've ever seen in Harvest. It's really well done and simple. Nice and clean, get your photos, get your monies and go. Big fan. That is where my love affair ends with this app. From an administrative point, maybe there are incredible advantages over other offerings. The world may have never experienced such a revolutionary piece of software and I, in turn, am a simpleton; stuck in a world of misunderstanding.

CONS

If you write a app which tracks hourly time and tries to put it into buckets for easy expensing, the time-tracking app should be simple for the multitude of non-admin users. Simply put, it's cumbersome and annoying.... and I say that because someone is going to take stronger language less seriously. Forget the fact that you have to enter in time _Daily_. When I say daily, I don't mean that you click on the day, you do the thing and save. I mean that it shows you one day per page at a time. No calendar to quickly go through a week, no monthly review where you can quickly fill in gaps. One page == one day. You can bring stuff over from the last-entered day, but the hours aren't filled in... just the buckets. This leads to an incredibly slow, painful, and frankly uninteresting experience. For a bunch of users who want to do their job instead of fiddling around with tracking how long they've done their job, asking them to use Harvest is basically asking them to make none of their time billable unless threatened with homelessness. It's incredibly painful to use. To be sure, I'm not a fan of time-tracking apps anyway. I akin them to asking your employees to lie to you and giving them a form in which to do it... but Harvest makes the fun of lying to your employer the low-light of your day. It's not fair.

1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed March 2024

Time Tracking with Harvester

Great, i think has some comprehensive feature and makes everything in one place when is regard to time-tracking.

PROS

When working with multiple projects and clients, time-tracking can be a must and for me is crucial. What i like most is eas of use because is user friendly and integration options with mobile access.

CONS

Nothing yet, but would be greate to have a desktop app.

Randi

Executive Office, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2023

I've been using Harvest since 2015!

It does a great job of tracking time and it so simple to use. I use the reports aspect weekly to send time reports to my clients to keep them informed on time spent. My time reports are done quickly thanks to their detailed reporting.

PROS

I love how easy Harvest is to use and set up for your business. It's simple to create projects as they have enough detail. It's simple to switch tasks while time tracking.

CONS

I did not like the limit on profiles for the free version. I guess I see the why but if you have an established business, you can't just try it out with a full client list.

I preferred the UI with Harvest over Clockify

Melanie

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2023

Ease of Use is second to none!

We've had an excellent time implementing and training staff with Harvest. It's exporting to our Quickbooks is excellent, and I'd recommend it to any small business as the cost is totally worth it.

PROS

We were able to implement Harvest within an hour and train all staff within another hour. The ease of use is excellent, and reoccurring invoicing has been super helpful.

CONS

We've had a few issues with numbered invoices going from 100 to 400 (example) and support wasn't the easiest to work with.

Reasons for switching to Harvest

The price of Function Point at the time was going up by more than we could justify.

Bart

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed November 2020

Invoicing made easy

We started using Harvest years ago with my previous company and it was our go-to solution with our new company. No questions asked. It just works and that is why I would recommend it to everyone looking for a simple solution.

PROS

It just works. Creating an offer, turning it into an invoice, setting everything up... it just works easy. In contrast with many software you can use for invoicing, Harvest doesn't try to do it all, it just keeps things simple. Probably too simple at times, but I never ran into any issues as we have straightforward product & services lines to add to our invoices.

CONS

The fact that the time tracking is included and cannot be ignored as easily as the optional planning tool (that they sell separately) was a small frustration at first. Afterwards, I just tended to directly surf to the Invoices overview and avoid the timetracking part all together. For some it is probably thé selling feature as time tracking looks very easy, but our company doens't keep track of detailed time tracking so we never used that part thoroughly.

Reason for choosing Harvest

We tested teamleader, but it was too featureful. Interesting as it could have been, we didn't want to switch our complete workflow to match that of Teamleader so we continued looking for a tool that was good at invoicing. Period. Harvest was that tool.

Amanda

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2023

Harvest is a great option to consider!

It would be considered a runner-up to utilizing Clockify, I love the visual aspects and ease of use.

PROS

I think what I liked most was how the team lead was able to oversee my time tracking so that when it came time to report my hours I didn't have to be part of that process which I believe supported productivity.

CONS

The platform seemed to glitch a bit, where time wouldn't start or stop tracking or would duplicate.

Reason for choosing Harvest

My client actually chose it because she subcontracted over 50 freelancers and it was what functioned best for her needs.

Reasons for switching to Harvest

I made the switch because of a client wanted to switch, but I also didn't like the integration abilities or visuals of Toggl.

Jonathan

Design, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2019

Harvest is an Essential Tool for Creative Freelancers

I've tried numerous other invoicing tools but none compare to the stability, quality, and reliability of Harvest. For the money you just can't beat it.

PROS

Harvest makes it super easy to track time and expenses, invoice clients, and collect payments via Stripe or ACH.

CONS

Because it is such a stable piece of software, they are very slow to add new features, and certain areas of the user interface feel dated. That being said, it is rock solid, fast, and extremely reliable.

Reason for choosing Harvest

Harvest is dependable and has features that out-perform the competition in just about every aspect.

Anissa

Graphic Design, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2019

Harvest is Amazing!

Harvest makes my business EASY. I do love being able to set limits on projects and getting emails when those limits are near.

PROS

I really enjoy using harvest because I do have a team of subcontractors who I need to keep reports of their time. Harvest makes it easy to report time used and set limits on projects.

CONS

I would love it if I could set up monthly recurring projects by date and not just month to month. Sometimes I have a retainer client that starts in the middle of the month and the monthly recurring feature resets at the end of the month, not when it's been 30 days.

Reasons for switching to Harvest

I like the limits that I can set for projects. Toggl doesn't have this feature.

Randall

Law Practice, 1 employee

Reviewed March 2020

Great for time and billing; hard to integrate with accounting

Ease of timekeeping and billing has improved. Integration with the rest of my accounting system has become harder.

PROS

I started using it because I did not find the timekeeping functions of Quickbooks easy enough to use. On that point, Harvest is much better--it is excellent at keeping track of time. In addition, Harvest makes it quite easy to bill clients for time and to follow up with repeated billings if needed.

CONS

I'll mention two things. First, the method of dealing with retainers needs some serious work to be useful for lawyers. If I have an outstanding invoice and a client sends me a retainer, I cannot have payment toward the invoice taken out of the retainer without a fairly convoluted process. Second, it is hard to integrate with Quickbooks. I need Quickbooks (or I suppose, something similar) to keep track of all my financial records. But when I am using Harvest for timekeeping and billing, I wind up making many of the entries twice.

Reason for choosing Harvest

Price was a factor. Mostly it was the well-designed interface and ease of use.

Reasons for switching to Harvest

Timekeeping and editing invoices was awkward.

Lisa

Accounting, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2019

Clean, Simple to Use, Good Invoicing features. Features for Fixed-fee billing not the best.

We absolutely loved Harvest and could not recommend it highly enough. However, with the change to limit phone support, plus the software's limitations in working with fixed fee pricing (which our industry is moving rapidly to), we're unfortunately in the process of looking for a new time-tracking app.

PROS

1) Clean, simple, easy to use interface for daily time tracking. 2) Ability to monitor team's time real-time 3) Ability to track real-time billable Revenue 4) Invoicing features 5) inexpensive

CONS

1) No real-time phone support. Originally, Harvest had real-time phone support, but a while back they (suddenly) changed their phone support from real-time to only scheduled appointments. We've often found that support appointments are not usually available until a while later in the same day, or often the next day, which has been difficult because there is no way to get quicker phone support if needed. Appointment blocks are limited to 15 minute, and in our experience, once 15 minutes is up, the rep will say they have to go because the appointment is over, even if the issue has not been resolved yet. 2) Unfortunately, we've found that so far, Harvest's features have not been keeping up well with the industry's transition to fixed-fee pricing. Though the did add fixed-fee features (thank you!), unfortunately, we found that they did not really work well for tracking fixed-fee projects: - There is currently no way in Harvest to have recurring, monthly fixed-fee projects (so that you can track time/expenses against these.) - There is currently no way in Harvest to track actual time/costs against fixed-fee project fees - There is currently no way in Harvest to add a one-time fixed-price charge for a project (i.e. one day of Bookkeeping at $ amount.) Support told me that the only way to do this is to add these charges as expenses. However, expenses are not included in the revenue reports that we rely on to run the practice, because they are seen as expenses and not revenue.

Reason for choosing Harvest

Tsheets interface cumbersome and not intuitive.

Marek

Financial Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2023

Harvest Review

My experience with Harvest software has been positive. The software provided robust time tracking and invoicing capabilities, which greatly aided in project management and billing processes. The intuitive interface made it easy to track time and generate accurate invoices, ensuring transparency and accountability. The seamless integration with other popular productivity tools enhanced the overall efficiency of our workflow. Although there were limitations in the reporting capabilities of lower-tier plans and occasional performance issues with the mobile app, the overall value and usability of Harvest software were commendable. It played a significant role in streamlining our time management and billing processes, contributing to improved productivity and client satisfaction.

PROS

One of the things I liked most about Harvest software was its comprehensive time tracking and invoicing features. The software provided a user-friendly interface that made it easy to log hours and track time spent on different projects. The ability to assign specific tasks and set project budgets helped in managing and allocating resources efficiently. The invoicing functionality was also impressive, allowing me to generate professional-looking invoices based on the tracked time and expenses. The integration with popular payment gateways made it convenient for clients to make payments online, streamlining the billing process.

CONS

One thing I liked least was the limited reporting capabilities in the lower-tier plans. Advanced reporting features, such as custom reports and deeper analytics, were only available in the higher-priced plans. This made it challenging to analyze project data and generate in-depth reports for detailed insights. Additionally, the mobile app had some occasional performance issues, such as syncing delays or occasional crashes. However, these issues were not frequent and did not significantly hinder the overall functionality of the software.

Reviewed July 2020

Good for time tracking purposes

Overall I found the software very straightforward and easily navigable - was able to use it for its intended purpose, and found that it made time tracking a lot more efficient and simple.

PROS

I used Harvest mainly for time tracking purposes at a past place of employment, and found the interface to be very easy to navigate. We were easily able to integrate corresponding tasks to the specified amount of time (ours was tracked on a minute by minute basis, so 0.7, 0.22, 0.59 etc). I also found it extremely handy to be able to have a stopwatch feature to track time when there are longer tasks (such as a meeting or a project that will take several hours in one stretch).

CONS

As mentioned above, though I found the stopwatch feature to be very efficient, it's not extremely practical for any role where you're touching multiple different projects at any given time (ex. an account or project manager). For a designer, this feature would be perfect. It would be interesting to see whether the same concept COULD be applied to a project management type job. Additionally, I found that it is extremely easy to forget to actually STOP the stopwatch feature, so more often than not I found myself with a task that ran over 500 minutes long because I forgot to manually adjust the feature. It may be helpful to implement some sort of feature that has a pop-up effect after 30mins or an hour, asking the user if they're still working on the specific task (like they do with some movie streaming services).

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I'll take note of your feature suggestions as our product team is consistently assessing how the product can improve. I definitely can see how a popup timer would be useful. Thank you for your trust in Harvest!

Replied July 2020

Reviewed May 2022

Great Tool for Tracking Time & Resources

Positive - they were a great solution for a company at our size at the time.

PROS

We used Harvest at our company for multiple years - it provides a great option for the team to track time across multiple projects and ensure project management and billing have hours for billable reference. It's cost is accessible to many organizations and the functionality works as expected.

CONS

Their native reporting didn't meet our needs so it required us to pipe this data into our data warehouse to then create our own visualizations, insights, dashboards, BI systems, etc. We began to outgrow Harvest due to additional needs outside of Harvest's core offering. Our financials were also in a different system which didn't allow us to utilize the billing features to their full potential

Cost

Leah

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Reviewed December 2018

Harvest is great for time tracking and billing within small/mid-size companies

I've used Harvest as an employee to track my time. Additionally, I have done data analysis on exported information from the platform to predict time requirements and resource allocation across a mid-sized workplace.

PROS

Harvest is an ideal time tracking and billing platform for small- to mid-size companies. Individuals track their time in the desired increments, and then can sub-track their time to particular projects or disciplines. For instance, if tracking time for Client A, time can be segmented into "Client A > Project Review," "Client A > Web Development," "Client A > Business Development," etc. It can flex to accommodate multiple professional disciplines, and provides tallies / time breakouts for each user. On the backend, fairly rich data can be gathered from the platform to analyze time distribution and analysis.

CONS

It requires time to setup and administrate multiple users, especially if it's one person doing this job. Additionally, to do it well, it requires a thoughtful plan to provide the necessary taxonomy of clients / projects / billing to be used across the organization. It is not as robust as other big, enterprise-caliber time tracking platforms (like Salesforce), but for an organization <50 users, it's a great solution.

Haja

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2018

Elegant, Clean and Valuable Time Tracking App - A Staple Product

This is a very clean, simple appearing, a non-intrusive app which is actually a very solid and powerful platform. It has the potential to be an indispensable part of modern project-based businesses. Well, the answer is, this basic time tracking app solves several problems all at once. First of all, Harvest is available on all your devices and computers so, whenever you need to track time...voila there it is. It is super easy to set up and use, zero learning curve needed. It's nicely organized by client, so each project gets placed where it belongs. It has idle time detection to prevent inaccuracies. There are several options for arranging your time-based fees and you can even include your billable expenses. The information is not trapped in Harvest platform so you can import and export clients, invoices and other info to your other systems easily. You can easily send email invoices directly from your time-keeping records and accept payments online with integrations. In addition to budgeting time, you can also track expenses for each project in order to stay on track, both financially and time management-wise. This software plus Forecast gives you the potential to be increasingly accurate with time estimates for your clients. Once you take into account all of the software integrations and the API, you really have a valuable central point to manage your business. It helps that this software was developed by a team that had to solve these problems themselves. The company also seems to have good stewardship of the business in social justice and community arenas. I have not yet used the mobile app or API but I am definitely a fan of Harvest!

PROS

-Intuitive user interface -Cute motivational quotes and illustrations -Great native desktop experience on the Mac -Wonderful integrations with other software, including Harvest's Forecast, Xero accounting and Stripe -A multi-functional API and mobile apps (IOS and Android)!

CONS

- No automated sales tax - or integration with automated sales tax providers (Avalara, Tax Jar, etc.) on invoices -Team pricing could be better and also would be great if there were a tier between free - two projects and unlimited projects. -No offline functionality on the desktop

Christopher

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2023

Time tracking from anywhere

Allows us to be efficient and profitable without hours of admin.

PROS

The multiple devices and ways to launch the tracker make it fit within our workflow, from phone, tablet, browser, or our PM software, time tracking is easy.

CONS

Takes a little time to set up and use efficiently but once you start people getting used to the system it has a good learning curve.

Reasons for switching to Harvest

We need something more automated.

Steve