All Resource Guru Reviews

Karl

Information Technology and Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2021

Best SaaS tool we use in our business

PROS

Resource Guru literally transformed our business. It’s a super simple, yet incredibly powerful scheduling tool. It was very easy to implement and there was no friction onboarding the team. We’ve even setup some automations using their API, which feeds the data into our operational reporting. If you’re looking for a resource management and scheduling tool, look no further than Resource Guru.

CONS

The only thing I would like to see them add is a ‘do this every time’ option when I am asked how to handle a clash, rather than making me choose every time. Our business is such that we have to rearrange the schedule A LOT, and it gets annoying having to select an option over and over when I’m switching people’s schedules and it’s only going to be a temporary clash for 2 seconds. That’s a very small complaint though. Other than that, the software is perfect!

Bill

Oil & Energy, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2021

Simple and to the point - Resource Gu does the one thing we need most, and it does it extremely well

It has been a significant enhancement o our workflow. Our prior use of our CRM system to do what Resource Guru does was costing us at least a full day per week. Now we get it all done in an hour our tow.

PROS

Simplicity and focus. Resource Guru solves one problem, a problem that is key to our business - which is project resource assignment and scheduling. It does it quickly, and easily. Our prior tool required us to understand a complex CRM system with multiple interrelated functions. Resource Guru gives us the availability, assignment and schedule tools we need to deliver our projects without needless overhead.

CONS

I would like more user defined fields when we assign a resource to a project. We assign a project sales phase type to each project, and we assign an individual billing rate to each resource, which can be different for each day of the project. We currently do that using a strict taxonomy in the "Notes" field and them use an Excel macro to parse that information out for sales and revue forecasting. While this doe take a bit of management and programming magic - it is still orders fo magnitude less complicated that it was previously when we managed this data in our CRM system. Having those filed would just make our lives all that much simpler.

Reason for choosing Resource Guru

Simplicity above all else - the other packages all had extra features we just did not need - we need availability, assignment, and schedule - that's all.

Reasons for switching to Resource Guru

OpenAir is way too complex for what we needed. We were spending more time than we had just managing resources.

Used less than 6 months

Reviewed November 2015

Great product but no development

Whilst it Guru is a promising, flexible and easy to use product it really is just bare bones at the moment and they have failed to deliver any additional functionality since launch despite increasing pricing. The forums are filled with requests and suggestions for highly useful add-ons and improvements that always receive the same answer "It's on the road map but we are working on other aspects of development". However, there have been no new releases and even the highly anticipated Vacation and Leave function slated for October 2015 has not actually been delivered. In fact the only thing that has changed is a change in pricing model that has upped the cost of the product. So, to conclude, even though Resource Guru has great potential the increased cost combined with a complete lack of development and capacity for integration make it a waste of time and money. Sad really because conceptually it is a fantastic product.

Thanks for the review Ossian! While I understand your frustration at the low frequency of new feature releases recently I'd like to correct you on a few things. It's not true that we have failed to deliver anything since launch—for more information on our product updates you can go to the "Product Updates" section of our blog http://blog.resourceguruapp.com/category/product-updates/. We are sorry that our leave management feature is not yet live but it is a large and complex upgrade to Resource Guru and we want to ensure it is all perfect before we release it. We hate the idea of our users doing our testing for us. Although we haven't directly integrated with any apps yet, we have developed webhooks (found in your account settings) which deliver realtime updates enabling you to create many DIY integrations using services like Zapier. We also have an advanced API (more details can be found at https://developers.resourceguruapp.com/). We want to wait until the product is slightly more evolved before we start working on integrations and the work we've done to date will put us in a very good position to do so when the time comes. Lastly, I noticed that you only gave our customer support 2 stars. We pride ourselves on giving excellent customer support to all our customers and the team will be very disappointed to hear this. Apart from reading comments about features being on the roadmap (while you may find this frustrating, we are only trying to be honest and not make promises we can't keep), was there anything else about our customer service that you found inadequate? Once again, thanks for the review and I hope we can bring a smile to your face in the future as we release more features.

Replied November 2015

Kiley

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2024

Best Scheduling Tool

PROS

Easy to use, organised, detailed, flexible, and thinks of all possible options to help with the efficiency of planning accurately across a small or large team.

CONS

The only thing we would rate negatively is that Resource Guru doesn't give you the option to tick off completed tasks.

Isabella

Marketing and Advertising, 201-500 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Extremely handy software, easy to use, visibly appealing, great to manage and schedule.

Positive, I do enjoy managing RG for our company. My company want us to migrate and start using the schedule planned for Office 365, but I had to push back and explain that this software is up to date, already does everything we need it too and Office 365 still has a long way to go before we can use it for what we want. It's safe to stick with RG that we know how to work, we know what it does and what i can't do and it works, no need to change something that isnt broken.

PROS

I like the appearance of the software - its clear, self explanatory, easy to navigate, see the bigger picture to jiggle schedule resource about, etc. I like how easy and quickly the support team are there to assist when needed. I like how it shows you who has booked what and the daily reminders via email of what is coming up, etc.

CONS

It isn't a negative but I would like to have a scheduling log, to see at what time and date did someone book a slot onto the schedule. I manage the Creative Studio, depending how many campaigns and the urgency in hitting these deadlines, I need to keep track of the entire departments availability, knowing when i can move things around in order to deliver last min projects. Only myself should have booking access, but I currently share it with Creative Directors, so they can schedule in my absence, but I can't see when they have booked them in so i can keep track. Is this something you could implement, please? Thanks,

Reason for choosing Resource Guru

Office 365 is still a very new software that requires lots of updates and features adding to it, that yourselves already provide.

Hi Isabella Thanks for the great review - I'm so pleased to hear that you're enjoying Resource Guru :) I'm pleased to say that an activity log is very firmly on our roadmap, and I've made a note to contact you as soon as this is available. You can also keep up to date with new features by signing up to our Newsletter at the bottom of our homepage - https://resourceguruapp.com/ I hope this helps but please don't hesitate to reach out if there's ever anything we can do for you :) Happy scheduling! Kat

Marc

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Kudos

As a small, but growing organization, we were having trouble measuring how our creative resources were being allocated. Resource Guru quickly solved that problem.

PROS

The software was very easy to implement and even easier to use. The reports page provides a great, visual presentation of our creative department's utilization for the week. Until we started using the software, we were unable to track enough data to inform a successful creative resource meeting. Now we have visibility into the upcoming weeks which has significantly decreased our dependence on freelance talent.

CONS

The waiting list and overtime feature can be a little confusing. The hours don't get added to resource bookings and increase the utilization percentage. It would be great if the overtime hours pushed the utilization percentage over 100% to clearly highlight over-allocated resources.

Reason for choosing Resource Guru

Using Excel and Smartsheet required too much effort and the Project Managers would not be able to effectively track changes in resource allocations.

Hi Marc Thanks for taking the time to share your review! I just wanted to touch base on your request for utilisation to show at more than 100%. It's not possible to book someone for more than 100% of their time - our booking clash warning system prevents this to help ensure you always meet your deadlines, and without burning out your team. But if you want to overbook resources, you can do this by adding bookings with overtime, and overtime hours will be itemised in the "Overtime" column on the Reports, so it's easy to see where your team are overstretched. I hope this helps to clarify things but please let us know if you ever have any questions - we're always very happy to help! Thanks, Kat

Leticia

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2019

Resource Guru has been a game-changer for us

I love Resource Guru. It's the only thing that's shifted our capacity management into a new gear. By which I mean: No more trying to manage everything from a single calendar, complete visibility over workflow and appointments, and the ability to see at a glance how much time is available on any given day.

PROS

1. It doesn't try to do anything other than what it's best for 2. Calendar sync 3. Cost-effectiveness 4. Responsiveness of the support team (including on UX suggestions! Amazing.) 5. The little guru on the dashboard. Yeah it's cosmetic but it makes me feel good every time I log in. 6. Easy to set up and use.

CONS

The only things I really dislike a cosmetic and non-fatal. They are: 1. The inability to hit a "today" button to go back to today's date, and the thin scrollbars right and left 2. The fact that I have to literally click and drag events to create instances on non-consecutive days, rather than selecting dates.

Reason for choosing Resource Guru

Everything else is not just resource specific. Resource Guru is (ref comment about it just doing ONE thing and doing it extremely well). Plus the cost. Resource Guru is incredibly cost-effective for a micro team like ours, which runs almost entirely on subcontractors.

Reasons for switching to Resource Guru

It's just ineffective to manage capacity in a calendar OR a spreadsheet (which is what we were doing previously).

Hi Leticia Thanks for the great feedback :) I hope you'll be pleased to learn that we definitely do have a "Today" button which takes you straight back to today's date. It's in the top left of the schedule, next to where you navigate between different months and years. I hope this helps! If there's anything else we can do for you please just let us know. Happy scheduling! Kat

Replied September 2019

10,000+ employees

Reviewed August 2021

An option for time, cost, manhour management for small-medium scope

Generally no issue if the scope is small to medium. larger scope requiring links to many other apps may take time to sync.

PROS

Intuitively easy to use, good usage of colors to present a quick glance of resource versus objectives deliverables

CONS

Integration with existing calendars, tools may not be smooth and sometimes not synced.

Reason for choosing Resource Guru

Good usage of colors to present information quickly

Hi there Thanks for sharing your review of Resource Guru :) I wanted to let you know that our calendar sync feature is currently a one way sync, but we do have firm plans to support 2 way syncing in the future. Once 2 way syncing is released, you should find it easy to keep external calendar events synced in Resource Guru. Can I suggest that you sign up for our newsletter in the footer of our homepage if you haven't already - http://resourceguruapp.com. That way we can keep you in the loop about new features and other news. I hope this comes as good news! If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to reach out and we'll be very happy to help. Thanks, Kat

Replied September 2021

Sonia

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2019

Easy to use high level planning tool

Resource Guru allows our company to do long-term high level planning of resource utilisation and provide a guide lead time for sales teams.

PROS

I've been using Resource Guru since 2013 and it's constantly improving which is good to see. It's easy to use and provides decent reporting.

CONS

I'd like to see public holidays auto populated according to a country of choice and ability to limit daily bookable hours just by a number (e.g. 7.5h) without setting a rigid start / end / lunch break.

Sue

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Reviewed May 2024

Great System / User friendly wit end user.

Great now on phone.. Provides me with the information I require to complete my job.. Where I am off to whom I am seeing.......

PROS

Ability to access my roster and jobs, with the relevant information to complete my job.

CONS

I have no issues with Guru the information provided allow me to access information to complete my job

Kt

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2022

Great piece of software

PROS

Really easy to use and UX friendly. Intuitive functionality and transparent scheduling. Constantly updating and developing functions which is great. Great customer service

CONS

No negatives to be honest it’s a better piece of resourcing software than I’ve ever used

Reasons for switching to Resource Guru

Resource Guru was more intuitive and functional

Marek

Financial Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2023

Resource Guru Review

Overall, my experience with Resource Guru was positive. The platform provided an effective solution for resource management and scheduling, improving the efficiency and productivity of our team. The intuitive interface and scheduling features made it easy to allocate resources and track project progress. The platform's reliability and real-time updates ensured that everyone had access to the most up-to-date information. Although there were some limitations in terms of integrations, the overall experience with Resource Guru was excellent, empowering our team to effectively manage resources and deliver projects on time.

PROS

One of the aspects I liked most about Resource Guru was its user-friendly interface and intuitive scheduling features. The platform provided a seamless experience for managing and scheduling resources, allowing me to easily assign tasks, track availability, and monitor project timelines. The drag-and-drop functionality and clear visual representation of resource allocations made it simple to plan and allocate resources efficiently. Additionally, the real-time updates and notifications ensured that everyone on the team was well-informed and could adapt to any changes or conflicts quickly.

CONS

While Resource Guru had many positive features, one thing I liked least was the limited integration options with other project management tools. Although the platform offered some integrations with popular tools, there were instances where I needed to manually transfer data or reconcile information between different systems. It would be beneficial to have more seamless integrations with a broader range of project management and collaboration tools to streamline workflows and avoid duplicating efforts.

Timothy

Media Production, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2021

Intuitive and efficient resource management software

PROS

The best part about Resource Guru is the reporting system. Given how fuss-free the management tools are to use, the reporting system is the proverbial icing on the cake, as it aggregates all your available data in one easy to use panel. Not to mention, it is so intuitive to use and has such a remarkably low barrier to entry, that I onboarded all my team managers in a single day, and have never looked back.

CONS

Some parts of the UI look a bit dated, like the "adding resources" panel, but it's honestly not a big deal because you only use it once when adding your resources, and hardly touch it ever again. Other than that, changing the default working hours is a bit tedious, but again - do it once and you never need to adjust it again.

Hi Timothy Thanks for sharing your review of Resource Guru :) I'm pleased to say that we have some enhancements planned for the Resources section, which I hope you'll be pleased to see when they're released! Can I suggest that you sign up for our newsletter in the footer of our homepage if you haven't already - http://resourceguruapp.com. That way we can keep you in the loop about new features and other news. If you have any other questions or feedback at any point, please don't be a stranger. We love to help and we're always keen to hear any feedback. Thanks! Kat

Replied September 2021

Patrick

Utilities, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed November 2021

Solved the Scheduling Problem

It has been an excellent experience. I brought resource guru to my current company after experiencing it as a project manager at another consulting firm.

PROS

The ability to filter, sort, and visualize resource assignments across 50+ individuals with a variety of technical abilities has helped remove a lot of the pain in managing geographical diverse field crews

CONS

I would like the ability to see 4-6 months on the screen at once. Instead of individual blocks for each day, I would like to see each block represent one week (a zoom out option). Some projects are 1-5 days, while a lot of assignments are 3+ months.

Reason for choosing Resource Guru

Deltek was great for accounting, but not user friendly when trying to play tetris with the schedule and 40-50 technicians.

Hi Patrick Thanks for leaving your feedback! I'm pleased to say you can achieve viewing the Schedule in a weekly or monthly way is firmly on our roadmap. In the meantime I would advise you to try using the Browser zoom together with the zoomed in view in the Schedule: https://help.resourceguruapp.com/en/articles/2942101-zooming-in-and-out Depending on your browser, you will find the zoom in different locations but usually it's under the menu item "View" or you use the shortcut "Cmd" (Mac) / "Ctrl" (PC) and "+/-/0". I hope this helps but if there's anything else I can do to help please just let me know. Thanks, Michelle

Replied November 2021

Jane

Professional Training & Coaching, 11-50 employees

Reviewed July 2021

Value for money and SO easy to use

This has saved us countless hours of email writing and phone calls as our trainers can see their bookings without us having to call or write to them each time something changes. All of our sales and booking team can immediately see who is available for times requested by a client. Our Marketing and Finance departments love the reports and they are so easy to customise.

PROS

Colour-coded projects, ability to mark projects as confirmed or tentative, able to sync the software to individual calendars, easy to customise reports, everything on one screen, easy to add and customise new resources. I could go on but, this software has grown with our company over the past 4 years and we are all very happy with it.

CONS

The new features that are added are not always in the order we want. For example, it took 4 years for the confirmed/tentative option to be added - a very useful feature for us but I understand that the Resource Guru Team needs to prioritise features based on the overall needs of their customers.

Reason for choosing Resource Guru

Personal support, fast service, adaptability of software, ease of use, best value for money

Lara

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Review from a user perspective

Resource guru has been a bit of a god send as both a user checking when you're scheduled in for work but also as an admin to have big visibility of what everyone is working on and when.

PROS

Scheduling is really easy to do on the web version, I can book, amend or cancel resource in a matter of moments and easily drop and drag to move things around.

CONS

The mobile version on web browser can be a little clunky, it would be good to have an app version to make checking scheduling on the go (whilst at external meetings etc) easier to use, the same for booking resource on the go, its almost impossible to do so on mobile

Reason for choosing Resource Guru

I didn't choose this product, the company had it when I joined but was instantly far better than previous company processes such as excel spreadsheets etc which were unreliable and messy.

Hi Lara Thanks for leaving a review of Resource Guru! I wanted to let you know that the new schedule is mobile optimised, so you should now have a much better experience when using Resource Guru on a mobile in browser. We do have plans to release dedicated mobile apps in future, so keep your eyes peeled for further updates :) Happy scheduling! Kat

Elom

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Reviewed February 2020

Resource Guru - RMT

We are trying to ensure all jobs have been staffed. Jobs may have from 1 to 3 people with different experience levels. So far we've staffed the jobs, however we're unable to determine who's overloaded and who isn't.

PROS

Ease of scheduling and color coding to identify the job owner.

CONS

Differentiating between confirmed file and unconfirmed files; Unable to sort resources by experience level Unable to view staff capacity in one shot - We didn't sign up for reports so that may likely be the reason. Unable to color code by client and also by booker

Hi Elom Thanks for sharing your review of Resource Guru! I wanted to let you know that you can use custom fields to filter your resources by experience. Here's a walkthrough you might find useful: https://help.resourceguruapp.com/en/articles/2942075-using-custom-fields-to-categorize-resources-by-skills-department-and-more When it comes to tracking utilisation and capacity, this is all done in the Reports section so you'd need to upgrade to the Blackbelt or Master plan in order to access this information. You can learn more about what the reports have to offer here: https://help.resourceguruapp.com/en/collections/38289-reports Finally, you can definitely color your bookings by Client or Booker, as well as by Project :) You'll find a walkthrough on using colors here: https://help.resourceguruapp.com/en/articles/2942102-using-colors I hope this helps! If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to reach out :) Happy scheduling! Kat

Replied February 2020

Damien

Graphic Design, 11-50 employees

Reviewed December 2023

review resource guru

Great tool and handy to make scheduling

PROS

It's a great tool Great tool and handy to make scheduling

CONS

Missing to indicate the jobs that are ready are ready.

Hi Damien Thanks for sharing your review of Resource Guru! You mentioned that there's no way to indicate when a job is ready, so I wondered if you were familiar with the difference between confirmed/unconfirmed bookings? If a booking is not yet ready to be confirmed, it can be added as a tentative booking, or added to the waiting list, or it could be pending approval. When bookings are ready to be confirmed, just change the tentative status, approve/decline it, or move it off the waiting list. These workflows help you and your team to differentiate between confirmed and unconfirmed bookings. You can learn more over in our Help Centre: https://help.resourceguruapp.com/ I hope this helps! If there's anything else we can do for you please don't hesitate to reach out :) Happy scheduling! Kat

Replied December 2023