Skyward Student Management Suite Software Reviews

Skyward Student Management Suite Software Reviews

FrontRunners 2022

• icon"I love how quick and easy it is to post for my students and their families. It is a great communication tool."
  • icon"The technical support is the best I've seen in the industry. Everyone is very knowledgeable and is kind."
  • icon"The integration with other systems and the wealth of dashboard options allows for all things to be managed in one system."
  • icon"Gradebook can be difficult to use compared to other programs. We have just started using it and at the moment it is not completely syncing with our other programs."
  • icon"You have to set the fields and ranges and then waste time running a report to see if it works."
  • icon"For example, in regards to attendance, it is hard for us teachers to adjust the attendance after they have been entered as absent in first period, but they show up later in third period."

All Skyward Student Management Suite Reviews

Natalie

Company size: 51 - 200 employees

Excellent Education Management Tool

Natalie

Excellent Education Management Tool

Over Skyward provides teachers, students and administrators with up-to-date, accessible and easy to understand grades, disciplinary reports, and academic history. With very little training, I was able to navigate and operate the system within days.

Pros

This software is easily navigable for educators. I can input grades, edit assignments and change due dates with only the click of a button. Its integration with Google Calendar allows my students to keep track of due dates, as well.

Cons

Skyward has pre-set grading periods, but as a teacher there are still intermittent periods (6 week grade period) where I need to manually input each student's grade. This seems an unnecessarily arduous task.

Response from Skyward

Thank you so much for the review Natalie. We're happy to see that your use of Skyward with Google Calendar is going well. In terms of your issue with the grading periods, we recommend that you put in a service call. Depending upon the way you have your gradebooks set up, someone at Skyward will likely need to learn more about what you are doing and your specific goals in order to help you.

Replied December 2020

QMLATIV is the most intuitive software!

We're using it both Business and Student and it's just easy to use.

Pros

I have experience with pretty much every SIS in Wisconsin and Qmlativ is definitely the easiest to use. The intuitive nature of it makes it easy to get stuff done. The technical support is the best I've seen in the industry. Everyone is very knowledgeable and is kind.

Cons

I wish Skyward Business and Student are merged, but I know they're working on that. Still would be nice!

Reasons for choosing Skyward Student Management Suite

Skyward is a lot easier to use and is more intuitive.

Reasons for switching to Skyward Student Management Suite

JMC did not fit our needs and was not designed well. State reporting was painful but now it's easier with a single button to click!

Response from Skyward

Thanks for your awesome review John. From the beginning, one of the main goals of Qmlativ was ease of use, so we are happy you are finding it to be intuitive.

Replied February 2020

October 2022

Skyward is Superior

Pros

Ease of useFlexibility managing complex schedules, reports, etcProduct RangeCustomer Support

Cons

The interface is dated but that is solved with the new Qmlativ product.

Reasons for choosing Skyward Student Management Suite

Superior product, management flexibility, customer support

Reasons for switching to Skyward Student Management Suite

Move off of legacy mainframe system.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for the super review, John. We're so happy we're meeting your expectations.

Replied November 2022

Kevin

Stuck in 2003; Avoid.

Terrible. Wasn't even interested in looking at their newer option.

Pros

-It is a more reasonably priced option than the bigger players like Campus or PowerSchool. -It is still better than JMC (which is sad). - IF you can figure out how to do things in it and IF you don't mind an ugly program that visually is stuck in 2003, it may work for you.

Cons

- Probably the least user-friendly software I've ever used. It has tons of random settings that are sprinkled all over the software and requires a super-user on your team to accomplish even some of the more regular day to day functions. - Reports are terrible. You have to set the fields and ranges and then waste time running a report to see if it works. I can't tell you how many times I've done this and had the system return a blank report because one tiny parameter was off OR the report doesn't do what I thought it did from the title (with no explanation). - Teachers hate it. It's so limited, it forces your district into changing its grading procedures to fit the limitations of the product - Customer service is dismissive and unhelpful.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for your brutally honest feedback Mr. Furst. As difficult as this review was for us to read, we welcome all feedback--good and bad--and our goal is to deliver a user-centric experience for everyone. One of the reasons we launched our Qmlativ platform a few years ago was because we recognized we needed to upgrade the design and navigation to help create a better experience for users. We hope you reconsider taking a look at Qmlativ and we are confident you will be pleasantly surprised at what you see. Thank you.

Replied June 2021

Keith

October 2022

East Allen County Schools, Indiana Skyward Qmlative Review

Excellent 2.5 years in. Good training, good support, great tool, and it does everything we need the SIS to do.

Pros

Skyward does a good job of meeting teachers needs, making grading and attendance easy, and simply making teachers' jobs easier.

Cons

Adding columns or data within a screen is easy to do (2 clicks to start), but the process of choosing the correct data you want is a rabbit hole. There is SO MUCH data in the database, that you need to know an exact pathway in order to add the correct data to a screen.

Reasons for choosing Skyward Student Management Suite

A committee of 26 admins and teachers sat through demos, and the committee chose Skyward. The teachers on the committee unanimously chose Skyward.

Reasons for switching to Skyward Student Management Suite

Old SIS did not have a working MTSS module, and student assessment data was not easily accessible by staff.

Response from Skyward

We appreciate you taking the time to send us your comments Keith. It's great to hear that we are meeting the needs of the teachers at East Allen County Schools and we appreciate your continued partnership with us.

Replied October 2022

Arnie

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

June 2022

The most compatible choice for Student Information Systems

As our primary student information system, we have experiences very few problems that cannot be overcome between our local team and their support staff. Our experience has been successful and our experience with the provider is always solutions based and quickly resolved.

Pros

SKYWARD continues to be an industry leader in the area of records management, fiscal management, employee access. It has been the one stop place for all student, financial and employee records in every district I have worked with. The integration with other systems and the wealth of dashboard options allows for all things to be managed in one system.

Cons

As an interface, there are areas that need to be updated. The introduction of QMLATIV should address many of the shortcomings of the existing software. We are excited to see what the next generation of the software has to offer.

Response from Skyward

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback Arnie. It's always great to hear that Skyward has been successful for users in a variety of settings. We look forward to getting you moved to Qmlativ so you can continue to grow with us and experience continued success.

Replied July 2022

Susan

August 2022

Parent Review

With us having a family account, we can see both children. This makes accessing important information really easy for us!

Pros

We have a family account with SKYWARD and we used it several times a week for our high school aged children. The software is very user friendly. We are able to check grades, add lunch money, see announcements, etc ..

Cons

Since using the software, we have not found anything we don't like. Having family access allows everyone to see our account.

Different school

Response from Skyward

Thanks for your comments Susan. We're always happy to see the positive impact we are having on school-to-home communication.

Replied August 2022

Damon

Industry: Writing and Editing

September 2022

My review of skyward

Overall, my experience with Skyward is pretty good. I don’t have any other complaints. Other than that annoying password reset thing that it does. Fix that and I would say you are completely perfect.

Pros

The user interfaces designed very well, and the ease of use is not notch. I was able to learn skyward within one day when I started working for the school district. So I would say that ease-of-use is by far my favorite part of the software.

Cons

Having to reset my password every couple of weeks is rather annoying. If we could fix that, I would really appreciate it. I don’t like having to call tech-support to reset my password every two weeks to one month.

Response from Skyward

We appreciate your feedback, Damon. The password reset issue is something that your administrator should be able to adjust in the settings, however some customers prefer to have people reset them more often for security reasons.

Replied October 2022

Fadi

November 2022

Nice but need enhancements

Pros

It is a very good software, full of features and options, to some extent easy to use specially for the daily basis tasks. Very good support.

Cons

Not very opened to customizations, and being an international customer our requests are not heard or taken into consideration.

Reasons for switching to Skyward Student Management Suite

Blackbaud was not evolved since a long time ago, and there was a degradation of services and features. We moved to Skyward for a better sfotware for both Student & business suits, but the business part didn't work for us as international customer.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for the positive review Fadi.

Replied November 2022

savannah

Industry: Information Services

August 2022

Registration

Pros

So far helping with registration for parents and integrating our business side has been with ease.

Cons

Learning curve with new implementation onto the system but have been successful in getting parents registered with some guidance from skyward.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback, Savannah. Glad to hear the folks here at Skyward have been assisting you and your team in getting up to speed.

Replied September 2022

Barb

February 2022

One stop shop for your student educational needs

The best feature to me is that everything is in one place! Having multiple systems to manage makes data tracking much more difficult. One system, Skyward, allows our district the ability to have our student data more readily available.

Pros

I have been using Skyward Student Information System for the past 25 years. We have slowly added other features to our portfolio. The Student Services system has worked well for assistance with IEPs for our special education students. Having the ability to track information for due dates, form status, etc. has been wonderful. The ability to have it tied to the student database is terrific because if a family moves, the addresses are automatically reflected in the special education areas. We have use the Enrollment feature for the past 5 years now and it has saved countless hours for staff by allowing them to verify information, instead of having to decipher information and enter it into the system. Parents are able to enroll at any time of the day because it is completed through our website, and doesn't require the family having to find the time to come to the school to enroll. Food Service allows a wanding message to be added for those that have allergies or other health issues, which assists the workers when the students come through the line. With Fee Management and Food Service, parents are able to pay fees or add money to their food service account through Family Access. There are many great features about this product and we are very pleased with the product.

Cons

The 504 Accommodation Plan area is a little cumbersome and doesn't flow quite as nicely as the special education model does, but there are not as clear cut state requirements so product development does not work the same.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for the positive review Barb, and for being such a strong advocate for Skyward. We love hearing from all of our customers, but it's especially great when comments come from long-time customers like you!

Replied March 2022

Karee

Skyward - great for attendance, everything else is just ok.

Overall, it works for what we need it at our school (an attendance management system and to keep track of class rosters). However, I think it is unfortunate we can't use more of it's capabilities and that we use so many different systems instead of it all being streamlined into one. I wish being able to toggle how to print and see attendance and class data was easier and more intuitive.

Pros

Our school mostly uses this for class rosters and tracking attendance. For those purposes, it works really quite well. Tracking attendance is quick and easy, you can go in and mark students as absent or present or tardy. You can also click "all here". You can add in health notes about students and other important things we need to know as teachers.

Cons

The other features we don't use because they aren't good (e.g. the grade book) and we use it with schoology instead as it links with assignments that can be turned in. However, I really wish we could streamline it and use all one program for everything (learning management system, grade book, attendance, etc.) or that they all connected. Also, while the class rosters and schedules work and can be printed, it is not intuitive how to do so. They are not displayed well or functional for how I'd like to use them. While I like I can go in and see student notes and data, you have to click on students individually which sometimes is difficult.

Response from Skyward

Karee, There are so many things schools can do with Skyward that it can seem overwhelming at times. We recently wrote this article (https://www.skyward.com/discover/insider/november-2019/10-things-every-teacher-should-know-in-skyward) to help teachers get comfortable with some of the basics. In addition, we recommend checking out the Skyward Academy free webinars or attending a user group to increase your knowledge of Skyward. Thanks for your feedback and have a great summer.

Replied June 2021

Teresa

Skyward review

This is my district's 7th year using Skyward. I am the counseling secretary in our high school and work in Student Management. I am also a security manager for our district. Honestly, when we made the transition to Skyward I was very unhappy. I didn't find Skyward to be very user friendly and I wasn't pleased with the customer support response time. Oftentimes I was unable to find a way to make Skyward do what I needed. However, as the years have passed, Skyward has made improvements to the program, I have learned the system better and the customer support live chat option is a huge timesaver. Now, I really enjoy using Skyward. I have the dubious distinction of being our district's "Skyward guru" and I believe I've learned a lot through exploration in my efforts to assist others. When I can't find answers, I know that help is only a live chat away! I would definitely recommend Skyward to other districts.

Pros

Possibly my favorite aspect of Skyward is the ability to dump data directly into Excel. This is a huge timesaver and allows me to manipulate, sort, share and utilize data as needed. I also like the ability to create reports based on my needs using Data Mining.

Cons

There are still a few things that I wish I could do in Skyward, that I can't, such as use activity groups to run certain reports/schedules. Occasionally, we experience what I call "Skyward quirks" when something doesn't work right one day, but it works the next. Recently, our library parapro ran a report and new that the info displayed wasn't wholly accurate. I checked her format and everything was good. I printed it with the same results. I cloned the report, changing nothing, and ran that and it was accurate. The next day her report worked properly again.

Response from Skyward

So glad we were able to grow together, Teresa, and turn a negative experience into such a positive one. Thank you for all you do to help your district get more out of Skyward.

Replied January 2017

Jacque

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Long-Time User

I have used Skyward for many years, so I have seen it evolve. I will tell you this; you get what you pay for. Skyward is top-of-the-line! It will not always be the least expensive software, but it is more than worth the cost!! The software definitely helps customers work smarter not harder. With many of us wearing different hats, we need to find all of the time-saving opportunities we can; Skyward makes that happen! Skyward has many ways to get to the same information, so the ease of use is really in the end-user's hands. There is a plethora of shortcuts that Skyward has provided for the end-user, so no need to get bogged down trying to find programs/areas. Their Customer Service is top-notch. I have never had an issue that was not solved in a timely manner. They are wonderful! I could go on and on where Skyward is concerned. I not only love the software, but I like that the fact that Cliff King and the entire company has a focus on nothing but schools. They are truly concerned about the customer feedback, and they use that to make the software better (although I think it's pretty close to perfect now)!

Pros

The flexibility and multiple ways to achieve the end results we are looking for.

Cons

None!

Response from Skyward

Thanks so much for the kind words, Jacque, and congratulations on your well-deserved recognition as a Leader in Excellence for 2017!

Replied January 2017

Carlos

Skyward School Management Review

Skyward is a fantastic program and quite simply I cannot imagine doing my job without it. It helps with decision making both at the school and admin level, giving decision-makers the data they need to get the job done.

Pros

*Skyward has an excellent report making system and it's practically limited by the creativity of the user. I have not experienced a case where there was not a report created for something I needed. Best of all reports can be shared by other users and you can learn a lot by how others use their reports. *Improve business process agility. *Enhanced decision making. *Surprisingly easy to teach.

Cons

Skyward has a very high learning curve. I would not recommend someone start using it without at least a couple of hours of training. I received 10 before starting it on the job and that was just scratching the surface. It's a complex program and users should be adequately trained for it. Managers need to know that it's not something can be self-taught. There are training manuals for it but it's best learned when trained by experience users.

Reasons for choosing Skyward Student Management Suite

Skyward is used by many school districts in the area, meaning that teachers and staff members that transfer into our district are familiar with it and do not have to receive so much training on it.

Response from Skyward

Thank you for the great comments Carlos. We hear from a lot of customers who share your views on the value of our reports. As for the learning curve, we agree that training is critical to getting the most from Skyward and many customers tell us the investment they made in PD made their move to Skyward much smoother.

Replied February 2020