• Pros

• "It was real easy to get around the system and work in different windows."

• "Easy of use and love the ability to copy into excel. So much easier now than in the old CP versions."

• " I think Costpoint 7 is very easy to work with and was easy to learn. It has helped me increase productivity."

• Cons

• "Some features are a bit non-intuitive, though they're features that aren't often accessed. Proper setup requires expert help."

• "Flexibility sometimes is not your best, if you set up a project wrong you got live with it until it end"

• "Need the ability to link to other software for downstream functionality. Such as MES or ERP systems. "

Browse Deltek Costpoint Reviews

Simple software everyone understands

Deltek helps us take care of our timesheets in short order, with very helpful search and report functions to boot.

Pros

I always like how easy it is to use. I create favorites so I don't even have to search for the right codes - they're just right there. And the web pages load very quickly on our awful work computers!

Cons

Depending on how your company set it up, it can be confusing to find your codes initially... but all they have to do is give them to you and then it's super easy.

Juliana from Special applications group

Costpoint

This was a lot more time consuming to implement. Other softwares we surveyed before going with CP had a tool that would export our data from quick books into their system. Not sure why CP doesnt have this feature.

Pros

The reporting feature. We really liked the cognos relationship, and the ability to export directly to excel as well as upload from excel.

Cons

The revenue to income statement. I have never worked with an accounting system where once I created and posted an invoice, the total revenue for that product on the income statement is different then what was billed. I do not understand why I have to tell my system to recognize or pick up my revenue. Its redundant and causes a lot of headaches.

Reasons for Choosing Deltek Costpoint

Because of the partnership with COGNOS

Sandra from JCFS

Industry: Military

Costpoint from BRM viewpoint

Great software overall

Pros

Ease to learn and easy to use screen and download data

Cons

Incomplete error messages and missing edits.

PRICE

Ruby from Capital One

Deltek Review

It is an ok system overall but there needs to be a huge update to the system to compete with it's competitors. The strong point is that most government contractor are using Deltek Time and Attendance since it is engineered for this industry so people are more likely to get the HRIS system to integrate easily with timesheets.

Pros

The system has a pretty easy interface to enter in basic information such as personal information, checking, tax information, and updating benefits. The ESS system once setup, it is pretty great for the employees as they can choose benefits through open enrollment, update tax information and update their address information. The reporting is simple for standard reports and can be easily pulled in excel format so you are able to manipulate the spreadsheets.

Cons

The software is very outdated and has not been updated in several years. Other systems are light years ahead of this system as it looks like it is from the 1990's. The custom reporting is very clunky and hard to create any of these reports as there are many files to look into and no intelligent search functions. You can only pull the reports in excel format so there not other options such as CSV and PDF. The ESS section is also out of date and not very integrative to the HRIS system. The setup for benefits, tax and validations tables in the back end of the system is hard to recognize and makes it harder for complete setup. There is ACA integration as well and it makes it hard that you have to click on separate sections of the screen to look at information rather than clicking one repository to reach all of the information.

JADE from GCI INC

COSTPOINT IS PRETTY AWESOME

After using it for over a year, I am noticing that a lot of the processes are streamlined which helps with accurate accounting of POs and the information stored for vendors.

Pros

I like the fact that their interfaces are able to communicate with each other. I also like the ease of use when using the software. It is honestly cut an dry and if you have used various SAP before, you should not have an issue with this one. I transitioned from the US Army using GCSS-Army and the interfaces in costpoint were virtually the same.

Cons

I like the software, but my company does not or wants to ay for all the modules needed, so I feel as though I cannot use Costpoint to its full potential as I feel it can be used. I hope after this conference I am able to go back to my Company's President and change his mind.

Tina from Orbital ATK

Industry: Defense & Space

Easy-to-use but doesn't work for every situation

Pros

I use costpoint daily at my job and the software is very easy to navigate. I have no issues searching for BOMs (Bill of Materials) and costpoint interacts relatively seamlessly with the systems that we use for engineering drawings and shop floor instructions.

Cons

A lot of the materials in the BOMs seem to be controlled by effectivity dates. This may work well for companies that have interchangeable parts with planned obsolescence dates, but the industry I work in has variable production schedules where it'd be preferable to control materials by engineering drawing effectivity.

Brant from Johnson controls navy systems

Industry: Shipbuilding

Need improvement with standard reports

Pros

Ease of movement around system. The query function is a great way to filter info.

Cons

The standard reports are very poor. I wonder if they consulted actual users and asked what they needed. Has forced us to use cognos query and writer which is not user friendly. There are standard reports such as dispatch lists that should be part of the package.

Costpoint from a Programmer's View

It works well, it is easy to learn and run.

Pros

Ease to select rows of data and export to excel and vice versa. Help information is great as well

Cons

Error messages are not clear as to the real issue is. It lacks some of the report functionality.

Reasons for Choosing Deltek Costpoint

It was used by other teams within the company. Price and extensibility

Diana from ATI

From Costpoint 3.1 to 7.1.1

Costpoint allows us to easily track costs by project.

Pros

Cons

Change Management and having to clear cache all the time.

none

Carmen from IAP Worldwide Services

Costpoint Review

Costpoint is our financial system and it works well for us tracking our government contracts.

Pros

How the different modules are integrated .

Cons

The way that hot fixes/patches are released, too cumbersome to apply at times.

Karen from C. Martin Company, Inc.

I have used Costpoint for 8 years. I have been able to learn a lot.

Reporting, payroll, versatility, project reporting and capture, labor capture

Pros

I love the versatility of this software. It does so much and we can pull a lot of different information. It's very detailed in most areas and we can hold notes as well. Since I work in payroll, I think that the people and payroll modules are most useful for me.

Cons

I really don't like that we can not accrue a non-cash fringe. We have asked and asked for this feature and it has never been considered. All our employees accrue fringe non-cash to use towards benefits. I also don't like the way the employee garnishments are set up. Every time there is a change to a garnishment (such as the amount in a child support order), I have to stop the garnishment and set up a new one in order to preserve any history. It can be confusing for anyone else looking at someone's file. Also, the note field is to small, doesn't hold enough information for the order (like children or custodial parents) that used to be included in Costpoint 6. I was disappointed when this was removed.

Robert from KeyW Corporation

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

This Software is a must have for any Gov't Contractor that wants to do business in this space

Pros

The application is very powerful and very flexible which allows you to set things up for your business as simply or as complex as you would like. The ability to enter everything only once and capture all the data needed to properly allocate all of your Fringe / Overhead / G&A or Material & Handling Cost Pools is critical to being able to prepare DCAA / DCMA compliant Invoices, DCAA Disclosure Statements and Incurred Cost Submissions. Every module that you add on automatically links with the existing Accounting data so no extra steps are needed to get different modules to talk to one another.

Cons

Not always easy to tell if or when a patch is needed to update a specific module. Don't really know anything is needed until you run into an error message. Sometimes it is hard to update or patch just the application that is giving you problems because fixes can cover more then one application.

Vicki from Kimley-Horn

Costpoint is an extremely powerful project based accounting system

Pros

The flexibility it provides. With both private and public clients, we are required to provide invoices to clients in many different formats, and some project setups can be quite complicated. Costpoint allows us the flexibility we need to manage our projects effectively and also meet our client's needs. We also love the extensibility tool introduced with Costpoint 7 that has allowed us to customize the software in order to enforce many of our internal procedures and business rules.

Cons

Because of it's flexibility, it can be complicated, which leads to errors. We hear from our new users that systems they worked on previously provided more of a standard workflow that guided them through the project setup process. We realize this is very difficult to do with some many different project setup requirements, and we've tried to accomplish some of this through the extensibility tool.

Nabeel from Salient CRGT

CostPoint Review

Overall, if you are in the government contracting industry, CostPoint is as reliable as a software as any out there. With its wide acceptance across the industry, it is a extremely useful software to be familiar with.

Pros

CostPoint is an extremely powerful and a widely used accounting software. One of its best features is the ability to accommodate a diverse set of accounting and financial needs and the innate ability to run seamless interfaces with other Deltek products such as T&E and Cognos. It's relatively easy to use and can be picked up by most users quickly.

Cons

Costpoint lags behind its competitor in the innovation it offers it's users and customers. They software updates are infrequent and often do not result in any major updates and upgrades. There are also many areas of functionality within Costpoint that seem to be offer duplicity and could be improved.

Nicholas from IAI LLC

Deltek Costpoint Review

It has been a decent system overall but there is a lack of customization, predictive features, poor reporting features and no updates for several years so other HRIS systems are way ahead of this particular system.

Pros

It is a pretty simple to use software for HRIS data and has a lot of fields to enter. It is great that there is a reporting system to allow for standard and custom reports. There is an immediate entry into the system once changes are made so it is great to get an immediate response.

Cons

There are several cons with the system. First, it has not been updated over several years and no upgrades have been made to keep up with the times. It feels like the system is dated back to the 1980's. There is no predictive searches for employees, there are too many windows for different types of employee data so it is hard to find certain employee data. The reporting is also hard to create custom reports as you have to understand extensive knowledge of Cognos, hard to search fields for employee data and it is clunky. There are no workflows or business rules that can be setup in order to allow for notifications for certain events regarding employee self service.

james from SESI

COSTPOINT IS LAZY AND STUPID

There is not a day that goes by that I am not pissed off at this software. It's 10:00 A.M and I have stopped working to come here and post about how awful cospoint is. Example: While creating a Purchase order costpoint tells me there are 10 PR's total for the PO. I continue to the PO and start pluggin in the information and realize there are only 9. What hapenened? Did I do something wrong? So I go back to create the PO and run it again and it says that 1 is processed. No problem right? sure, but this kind of thing happens all the time. Why would software only do part of a task? why does it get lazy and decide it doesn't want to do it. This happens all the time and it isn't always so simple. This can cause huge problems on a larger PO. Another example I am going through right now is when costpoint is assigning PO's it will do it with multiple people so someone cannot use it. They won't know until later when they open the PO that it was assigned to someone else and have to back out everything they did and start over. I have to back out 30 PR's right now but wanted to say how absolutely awful this software is. If you are working you need to save after each thing you do or every couple things. yyou can't just work through something and hit save at the end because you will confuse cospoint and it will generate an error. then you have to refresh the screen thus losing all data input and start over again. you have to realize that cospoint is lazy and stupid and you have to work with it slowly to avoid doing things twice. This is the worst software I have worked with for inventory and everyone I work with will agree across all departments. It is like an ongoing joke. I left working for my current employer and then returned a few years later and when I returned I realized I had forgotten what a piece of crap costpoint was and should have held out for more pay due to having to deal with it again. It will put you in a situation where you will look like you made a mistake countless times. It will create more work for you over and over again.

Pros

There really isn't much that I like about costpoint except that it is an online database that can be accessed from the internet instead of being hosted on a server at the company. however this also limits it as well so I remain neutral on anything positive. Over several years of working with it my hatred of the software has grown to the point of me not seeing any thing really that good about it. It completes tasks sometimes.... which is unacceptable. it should complete them all the time.

Cons

You cannot work fast and have to save often because the program will get confused if you do too much at one time. It creates extra workload due to the time it takes to undo the problems that it created. program seems to be lazy and does tasks intermittently. When you click the save button it is like a gamble as to whether or not it will carry out the task. it will assign key tracking numbers to multiple people at the same time without the users knowing and they will have to back out all their data.

Stacy from Hacker Architects, Inc

Industry: Architecture & Planning

CostPoint Software User

I first used Deltek using CostPoint. I found it relatively easy to get around. It was pretty clean cut. The only issue I may have had was how the paid when paid worked, it never seemed to work right. The consultant helping us set up really didn't know what she was doing, and never came back to tell us her findings after she took notes and said she would look into it. Then I left that company and started using Vision. It was real easy to convert having worked in CostPoint.

Pros

It was real easy to get around the system and work in different windows.

Cons

Paid when Paid never worked correctly, never could get a reason why.

Heather from Calista Corporation

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

The system is very straight forward and easy to navigate.

It meets all my HR Technology needs.

Pros

From an HR standpoint, the system is very easy to use and well thought out. The reporting is easy to do for mandatory compliance. It makes our jobs easier. We just starting using the Talent Management last year for applicant tracking and onboarding. Once we go live with the integration from Talent Management to Costpoint, it will create efficiencies for HR and payroll departments.

Cons

Once some is entered and saved in someone's record. It can be hard to remove that person. There also seems to be a lot of hotfixes, but it does make the system better in the long run.

Jane from MBN

CP is good and user friendly

Pros

Costpoint offers government contractors unparalleled project management, accounting, labor, reporting and compliance features so you get the exact capability you need to increase efficiency and improve profitability. It was built specifically for government contractors and has been adopted by thousands of government contractors and earned the trust of federal agencies and their auditors.

Cons

System bug, system not stable. Take long time to get customer service back some time. Field names and connections to other fields are not readily apparent. Takes years to become fluent in the program.

Harlan from STS International

7.1.1 Admin disappointed with the constant updates but the end-users like it

Pros

Our end-users generally have zero complaints with the software. We use it for everything from purchasing and receiving to HR functions.

Cons

I'm not a fan of the new update model they have rolled out with 7.1.1. It seems there are constant updates and, unlike previous versions where you only installed the updates you needed to fix a particular issue, they now expect ALL updates to be installed. I realize they are trying to get away from the need for major revision upgrades by doing this but the load on the IT department is WAY more than it used to be for day-to-day operations.

Jason from ULTIMOUS Business Systems

Ultimate GovCon Compliance

Deltek pushes this ERP solution to all Government Contractors now, no matter the size of the business. As a GovCon accounting/business system SME, I would not recommend this system to businesses with less than 100 FTE / 5M annual revenue.

Pros

The Costpoint ERP system is well integrated depending on the features/add-ons you purchase. It drives compliant practices if you've set it up correctly.

Cons

Setup and maintenance is not for the average user. Training is a bit scarce unless you hire a consultant. Very expensive if you want full integration. Support from the manufacturer is fair at best.

William from MVM, Inc.

Industry: Security and Investigations

Costpoint - A+ for DCAA compliance, a D for all else

Costpoint sets the standard for project accounting and indirect rate application and reporting. But Costpoint has none of the features that users love in other ERP systems, like drill down reports, modifiable reports, paperless processing, budget setup, easy bank reconciliations, etc. Users of Quickbooks, Dynamics and others will miss these features.

Pros

Project and indirect rate applicaton accounting & reporting

Cons

Much more expensive than comparable solutions. Extremely high lifecycle expense. You will buy this software every year with maintenance. And growing is expensive with employee based fees.

Sarah from TranSystems

Industry: Civil Engineering

A few kinks but easy to use

Pros

The platform is decently organized by Employee/Salary information and Leave information - managing either is simple and the accrual process is easy as well. I manage employee data and leave data but I am not an expert on any of the other system capabilities.

Cons

We've had issues with file feeds that have taken a long time to resolve. There are a few manual processes that need to be done during the accrual process that seem like they should be automated (i.e. removing duplicate beginning balance records when an employee goes from one type of leave to another in the same year).

David from NCTCOG

Work Smarter not Harder

The Costpoint enterprise suite allows a complete set of tools that can influence critical business decisions in a vertical business. What sets this software apart from others, is the tools available to customize the software using Extensibility.

Pros

ease of use and customization features

Cons

native application limitations out of the box.

Laura from Southwest Research Institute

Industry: Research

User since 1999

From the initial setup till now a strong asset in the Project Setup and Billing Modules. I look forward to the continued enhancement in CostPoint and improvements that allow us to meet the DOD requirements.

Pros

Allows us to meet government requirements both in CLIN, ACRN and contract limitations.

Cons

Does not maintain Zero Invoices that are required by DCMA, The retroactive rate adjustments still need improvements to work in the system.

Kent from ATK

Deltek

Pros

Deltek Costpoint is a great software tool to manage parts, inventory, finances and cost reports. It is very easy to use if you are aware that the first priority of Costpoint is a financial tool. It is customizable to link to other software for ERP and MES solutions.

Cons

There is a dedicated support team, but for an enterprise solution there aren't many options for individual sites.

Jeremy from SalientCRGT

Great product overall for government contractors.

Efficiencies with back-office processes.

Pros

Heavily integrated. It offers a lot of features suitable for government contractors. Companies that rely heavily on projects and reporting will find the system very suitable for their requirements.

Cons

Very complex. The system requires a lot of hands-on interaction to become proficient. The integration is great, but with it comes a steep learning curve.

Luther from ASRC Federal

Industry: Government Relations

Good tool for analytics. Mostly prebuilt reports help

I am in the bi team and reporting is easy. I was forecasting was as easy as other tools.

Pros

Search from any thing is easy. Reporting is easy. Integrated package helps save money. Subcontractor costs calculation - pools is integrated well.

Cons

Some of the joins in Congo's framework manager do not exist and we had to build again. When. The new release comes to market, we have to add them back.

David from NCTCOG

Industry: Philanthropy

Work Smarter not Harder

Pros

Cons

Limitations on customization unless you have in-house experience or willing to pay for consulting which is a consideration.

John from ICMA

Costpoint is a very extensive accounting package, with all the modules we need

Excellent accounting and reporting

Pros

Customizable for our needs, especially in project management. We also own Cognos reporting, Costpoint Enterprise reporting and Time & Expense, and all of those Deltek products work together very well.

Anne from WPS Health Solutions

Big fan of Time & Expense

We moved from an Excel, paper-based expense reporting system to Deltek and it has drastically reduced the number of errors we see (and the number of expense reports we send back to employees for revisions). We are spending less time processing expense reports and employees are getting paid faster. Like any new software, there's been a learning curve with our users but overall, most people prefer this system over our old method of reporting.

Pros

Hard edits prevent people from making many of the mistakes we saw with our paper-based system, the approvals are automated and done electronically

Cons

You can't have more than one window open at a time (unlike CostPoint).

Barbara from DeerCreek LLC

Controller

Costpoint is a dynamic system with many features that are automated. We use it for not only our accounting system, but also our budgeting and reporting. It is complex and able to do many things, but the right people must be in place to ensure the system works for you and is used to it's fullest. We are only using some of the capabilities of the system, and have only started to unlock all the possibilities of the system 2 years into implementation.

Lisa from ASM Research

An Accurate Way to Track Time

Easy capture of time to various charge codes and projects. Easy to navigate between indirect and direct charges.

Pros

Deltek is pretty intuitive and is a good way to capture your time at work. I like the breakdown of multiple charge codes and projects and the easy search features.

Cons

Sometimes I have a hard time signing into the software remotely.

Dee Dee from L3 Interstate Electronics

Data Center Story

We host 9 divisions all on Costpoint and have helped in their migrations all have been successful and able to support all ERP processes at go-live which says a lot about the ease of use and transition to the Costpoint ERP system!

Pros

Price vs Functionality for Defense Firm. Hits the mark for defense contracting and is easy to configure and transition to in a short timeframe

Cons

DSM difficult to use.

Great functionality but not easy to use

Due to our type of work, it was a great product to use when working government contracts.

Pros

The software had great reports. It's payroll portion was very easy to understand and navigate while processing biweekly checks.

Cons

The software is not user friendly. It took quite some time to learn how to use properly and the reporting function is complicated.

Randall from TMC Technologies of WV

Industry: Defense & Space

Easy to use once you get the hang of it

Overall I think Deltek is a solid tool and I would not mind continuing to use the software, however I've worked at other places that have had better or at least more user-friendly timekeeping systems.

Pros

As a user, my only involvement with Deltek is entering my hours on a daily basis after work. It took some fiddling around but once I got the hang of it, it was pretty straight forward to log my data. The tool allows you to see how much holiday or PTO balance you have as well as allowing you to access your paystub. These were things that my company previously had as separate systems, so it's nice that they're all together now.

Cons

It was hard to familiarize myself with the tool at first as it seems all the basic functions for simply entering my time data is hidden under various levels of menus. I don't know if it's merely because of the way my company configured the tool, but I haven't figured out how to print things, especially my paystub. There is no option that I'm aware of for looking at my PTO history.

Jim from Unisys Federal

Good product, good customer experience

Pros

Good product that continues to evolve. The customer experience is excellent and their annual conference is a great opportunity to learn more about how to better use the product.

Cons

Some things, like expense reporting are lacking. They are making progress, but this is one area that needs improvement.

Ernesto from Defense & Space

Fair Weather Application

Fair weather - not good nor bad just a system I have to use.

Pros

They're a govt approved system which is a requirement for companies in the defense and contracting industry

Cons

The platform is not intuitive nor user friendly and it's hard to get customer support w/o being charged extra. Not an open source.

Employees won't love it

Pros

There isn't much to like about this software. It does let you save time codes to favorites, but that's the bare minimum and doesn't do much more to make the work of someone entering a daily time card easy.

Cons

The loading times seem slower than peer software I've used and the features to populate saved time codes aren't as good. Requesting time off is especially burdensome and requires several steps where it should really only have one.

Kalli from Telligen

Costpoint is very complex but quite easy to use once you are familiar with it.

Pros

I like that the many different modules are so integrated. The query parameters that you can create for yourself and/or others makes it easy for monthly tasks.

Cons

I would like Costpoint even more integrated Time & Expense...one database. The reporting functionality needs to be made even more user friendly.

Alba from LMI

System

We track all our financials, invoicing our costumes and track our incur costs submmtion

Pros

Very easy to use and easy to learn very robust system from the beginning of a project all the way to the end

Francis from Stratis Health

Use of Deltek Costpoint in managing our projects and also developing and forecasting for new project

Have had Costpoint since 1998 and found it to have helped the organization it business mission. Deltek Costpoint project based accounting system has been useful to our submission of the Incurred Cost Proposals to DCAA.

Pros

I like its flexibility in project management

Cons

The software is sometimes complex if you are new to it.

Christy from PwC

Worked in Costpoint for 7 yrs.

It makes my job easier. Less paper needed

Pros

Its security controls. Its checks and balances. It's user-friendliness. Its fixed asset module.

Cons

the Fact that you can't have more than one user in everything other than reports. The fact that you can't approve and postin the same window.

Mark from Cherokee Nation Technologies

Industry: Government Relations

Deltek is a reasonable timetracking tool

Pros

It does what it needs to do. It is pretty simple to use and get setup, and allows you to track what needs tracking.

Cons

All time tracking is harder then we would like. Deltek at times needs work to be configured to be as helpful as I wish it could be.

Omar from IntelliSense Systems Inc.

Industry: Military

Omar CP review

Its an easy to use software that has real-time inventory management that I find useful in everyday tasks.

Pros

The ease of running MRP once everything is set up.

Cons

User interface seems outdated. Friendlier screens can be used where you can finally use dual monitor support.

Use daily reports work well

Just in time reporting

Pros

It combines accounting and contracts. Easy to use and run reports and pull data from system. Love the real-time reporting

Cons

The contracts model needs more attention. It could be more robust. It is really not functional out of the box

Tawnyia from Vencore, Inc

I have used Deltek on the Project side and the Accounting side. Very positive experience!

Pros

The software is intuitive and very easy to use. All modules seem to flow together from project set up to billing.

Cons

There is not very many things that I do not like about Deltek Costpoint. Compared to other accounting software it is the best!

Kent from Northrop Grumman

Using Deltek Costpoint

Pros

Ease of use for end user. Very useful for finance and cost reporting. Ability to manage inventory, receiving, orders and configuration.

Cons

Heather from McCallie Associates, Inc.

Good product that meets our needs

Pros

Deltek is always making sure they are improving the software. Lots of add-ons fit about any need or want the customer may have.

Cons

Pricing structure is not great for our small business. Add-ons are great, but come with additional cost (of course)

Pauline from Quadel Consulting

Makes reporting especially easy

Pros

Ease of use. From data entry to reporting, it is easy to use and also to translate the numbers into easy to read reports.

Cons

Not customized completely to meet our needs so we have to have work a around in order to accomplish our day to day activities.