Browse Descript Reviews

Cameron from sidekickk

The podcast editing tool that has helped us scale our podcast editing agency

Descript helps my team collaborate with clients on their podcast episodes. Hosts give us their recordings and then they leave us feedback in the form of comments on the transcript. It makes communication clear for everyone on our team and the collaboration features make it possible for us to have our remote team. We are able to help our clients sound their best with the filler word detection, something that would not be an effective option if we were editing with audio alone.

Pros

I love how easy it is to edit audio using the auto transcription. It allows for other great features like filler word and word gap detection/removal. The integration with Zapier allows us to import new media, and the publishing integrations allow us to export to hosts and other apps we use in our clients workflows.

Cons

For more advanced editing, I wish there were integrations with Adobe Audition that would make it easy to locate spots that have been commented on and then reimport or sync the changes. For our workflow, I would also love if we could utilize an API to directly integrate Descript with our workflow rather than needing to utilize Zapier.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

Descript is incredibly user friendly, while Heisenberg was difficult to start using.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

I used to use Audition but it was a difficult software to train other team members on. While I still use Audition for some more advanced editing, 95% of our podcast editing takes place on Descript now because it streamlines the editing process for our whole team.

Chris from Self

Best tool I've found for editing podcasts and producing transcripts and .srt files

I think if you come from a video or text editing background, Descript will make perfect sense to you within seconds of watching their intro vids. I come from those backgrounds and that was my experience. Yesterday I gave a training session to a colleague who also has editing experience and he immediately took to it and mastered the basics as well, despite not having a hardcore tech background. It really does feel like magic when you start using it and completely fix a long and rambling guest answer in minutes. As I mentioned in Cons above, I've had problems with it in the past, and at the time I started testing Otter as an alternative in case I needed to switch. But I preferred Descript and I think it has better tools, and I've had no problems since then while using it several days each week for 6 months.

Pros

1. That it does such a good, incredibly fast job of transcribing and assigning speaker roles 2. That it combines separate audio tracks into a sequence so you can make edits to an entire production, but *also* gives you the ability to drill down into individual tracks for really fine-tuned edits. 3. That it combines audio editing and text editing into a single interface, so you can literally edit your audio track as if you were editing a Word or Google doc. I never imagined that this could be an interface or should be an interface, but after seeing it for the first time, the concept clicked into place for me and I immediately took to it. 4. That it auto removes filler words and phrases, BUT even more important, kind of magically smooths over (most of) the cuts so that you can't tell a cut was made. It doesn't always work perfect, but more than half the time it does, and it feels like I'm working with software from a sci-fi future. 5. I want to say I love their Overdub feature, where you can deepfake your own voice (or someone else's on your team if they give you permission, I think--there are some privacy rules in place that I haven't fully explored). It also feels like a sci-fi technology. However, in my day to day usage of this tool, I never use Overdub because I'm almost always editing other people who aren't Descript customers. I'm eager to test it one day with my own voice recordings, but for now I can't really give any feedback on its effectiveness.

Cons

1. At the end of 2020 I had some bad experiences with server-side delays and edits not being saved properly, which reminded me that some of the core functionality for this service is beyond my control because it's not happening locally. On the other hand, I haven't had any problems since (it's been about six months). 2. They update the software very frequently, and often make changes to the interface at the same time. I now just prepare myself to deal with a relocated UI element whenever there's an update, but I don't enjoy the fresh challenge each time it happens. Rapidly making incremental improvements to functionality makes sense to me, but I'm not sure it should be the approach for UI improvements since that can be so destabilizing to a user's workflow.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

Better pricing, more features, better functionality.

Not yet stable enough for professional use

Pros

This is could be a game changing piece of software. it combines transcription and audio editing into one. The option to collaborate in the cloud like a google doc opens up many possibilities. But there is one big downside....

Cons

It is not yet reliable enough. There have been two occasions in last few months where Descript just stopped working. I lost days' worth of work on broadcast critical projects. The first time an entire project wouldn't open and just hung. That meant all of the work for an entire podcast episode was inaccessible. I contacted tech support and tweeted them. I heard nothing back. After a friday and weekend of panic and frustration, the project did open. Perhaps stupidly, i carried on using Descript. A month or so later a Composition (their name for a document within a project) I was working on just stopped working. The error message just said press reload. But that did nothing. Because it is cloud based I had nothing on my hard drive to try and salvage. it just stopped working. i lost at least 8 hours of work. i contacted tech support and their discord server. Still haven't had a response. I had to do the work all over again. If you work in professional audio, sadly my advice is to stay away from Descript till it gets more reliable.

More functionality

Zaiba from Quadrant Resources

For Perfect Transcriptions

This is a must-have product that will simplify your life. You won't realize how much time it saves until you use it. Fortunately, there is a fantastic free trial to try it out. The shortcuts are really useful and will save you a significant amount of time. There is a lot to learn, but once you do, the software will save your life.

Pros

1. Descript's key feature is how it transcribes your audio and converts it into an editable word document. I was astounded to discover how simple it was to effectively cut and paste words while simultaneously moving the audio waveforms. 2. It makes use of the Google speech to text engine, which has been demonstrated to be the market leader in numerous studies. 3. Transcripts are attractive and are designated by individuals. With just one click, you can securely send transcripts with video or audio.

Cons

1. It becomes slow with time, and you must pay to utilize it on a regular basis. 2. Although the automatic, entry-level version of Descript has a transcribing accuracy of roughly 95%, there are still grammatical problems. 3. It takes longer than I expected to look over transcriptions and revise them later, so I have to spend more time correcting the transcripts even during my working hours.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Otter.ai does not provide 600 minutes of free transcription services every month. Hence I had to make the switch.

project editor for visual learners

Overall it's an innovative product and a lot more cost-effective than others on the market. It may not be perfect but it has helped me a lot in my projects. A clever virtual multi-tool for creators.

Pros

I like that I can edit a video based on the visual transcription, The AI and that while I'm recording I get a transcription simultaneously. The features I desire most are a dark mode feature, a chroma key feature so I can add light overlay and animation. I would also like a pause feature added to screen recording and voice recording because I use this to help me think in between recording without stopping the session. And please fix bugs such a lagging. And the integrations I would recommend are Audacity, Davinci Resolve, and Anchor FM because that is what I use.

Cons

Sometimes there are glitches if I am working in multiple windows and Ill get error codes. Sometimes it's hard to place tracks on the timeline, You click where you want it to go and it goes somewhere else in the project. I want some filler words to stay included and it's hard for me to figure out how to keep them. When I record audio and mess up, the overdub function doesn't pop up when I right-click. I wish the zoom and pan were smoother looking.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

This product streamlined all of my needs. I needed transcription, and the overdub doesn't have background noise like my real voice. It cuts down on editing and makes my workflow simpler. I occasionally go back to these other products if I need to fine-tune something but that's rarely.

Made My Podcasting so Much Easier!

I love how simple it is to cut down audio, take out sentences you don't want and edit out silences. I love the automatic syncing of audio files. My cohost and I are long distance and record audio on Zencaster which allows us to have separate audio files! Descript seamlessly matches them up. Descript saves me so much time while editing!

Pros

What I love the most is that when you delete audio from the timeline, it never actually disappears. You can easily go back in and re-add something you took out earlier. It doesn't rely on undo only, if you took out a sentence early on and decided after half an hour of editing you want that sentence back in, its right there. Incredible.

Cons

I don't like the organization on the home page, I don't quite understand the folders. I like organization and not being able to archive my finished edits versus the edits I still need to do is a bit frustrating but easy to overlook!

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Audacity kept crashing and I was recommended Descript from another podcaster as an alternative and I never looked back!

Great Podcast Editing And Transcribing Tool.

We have three podcasts that we work on every week and this software has made editing of the audio and transcribing very easy. We are able to deliver quality podcasts and transcripts for publishing. The platform allows for collaboration on projects with the team members.

Pros

It is user friendly and doesn't require much experience in video and audio editing. Filler words and word gap detection and removal are great features. The export and publish features allow for sharing and publishing the content to other applications. It transcribes very fast and it's great in identifying and assigning speakers. It is easy to cut and paste words while moving the audio waveforms. It also does a great job of matching separate audio files.

Cons

Stability of the software is a great concern. Sometimes it just freezes and you can't access the project you are working on. There is also more that can be done on the sound effects.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Soundtrap has limited features compared to Descript.

Lance from Waller

Industry: Law Practice

Descript is a gamechanger!

Fantastic. Couldn’t be happier.

Pros

We do a smaller podcast, and it’s cut the editing time in half. The ability to automatically delete filler words and audio gaps has been a major timesaver and the software keeps evolving. The company listens to users and makes changes accordingly. Looking forward to see where it goes from here.

Cons

I have no real complaints. The editing tool can sometimes be a bit wonky, but I think it’s note user error than a problem with the tool.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Descript’s ability to match the transcript with the audio is fantastic. For a small team, it truly makes editing a breeze.

Carl from Carl Graham

SMOOTH Audio Editing

I've been able to edit audio a lot faster which means faster turn around on my VO project and a lot less friction from starting a project to completion. I used to dread jumping into Adobe Audition to record and edit files for Voice Over. Descript is a lot smoother.

Pros

The quick auto transcription was really a game-changer for editing audio.

Cons

There was a little learning curve for figuring out playback, but they've since fixed it.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Descript is so much easier to edit Voice over with

December 2021

Dean from Intimacy with All Thingsd

December 2021

The best at removing filler words and silence

Pros

The most robust stand-alone software I have used for what I needed, which was removing filler words and silences. Not only that it makes audiograms and provides transcription too

Cons

The cost. I do not need to use Descript all the time, only when I have projects which may be once every other month. So I cant justify a yearly cost.

Danielle from Danielle Nocon

A video/audio editing tool that fits the way my brain works

I love that Descript lets me edit video by editing a transcript. In the past, planning my edit - because of how my brain was working - I practically ended up with a handwritten transcript. I thought: there's got to be a tool that will do this automatically. Then along came Descript! Descript is a pretty robust tool for editing video and audio. They seem to be headed toward making it a full featured tool that can do it all. However, my background is in Adobe Premiere Pro, and right now it's not worth my time and energy to learn to use Descript instead. But Descript has been a very helpful supplement.

Pros

Descript has many amazing features - even ones that I would have never thought of to wish for. Here are some of the features that most impressed me. I love being able to edit video or audio recordings simply by editing the transcript. You can edit within the same file, or you can open another file in a separate window and copy/paste the sections you want from the original file - which remains intact. Descript's filler word and "dead air" removal are pretty amazing as well. The option to export a format that is editable in Adobe Premiere Pro comes in very handy. Currently, my workflow is to get the main video edit done in Descript, and then fine tune and add additional elements in Premiere. In fact, I had used Descript's Marker feature to indicate section headers that I was going to add in Premiere. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Descript's Markers translate directly to annotated markers in Premiere, making it really easy for me to find the spots to insert section graphics and which header cards to put where. Descript's built-in screen recorder has been very helpful for grabbing b-roll from websites. I even used it to show the Descript team some minor challenges I was having with their app.

Cons

The accuracy of the automatic transcription can be a bit hit or miss. British accents are notoriously problematic. Not only does the app misinterpret words, but the rhythm of the person's speech can cause the app to put the wrong punctuations in all the wrong places. If the transcript needs a lot of editing, I'll put the whole transcript in Edit Mode. But I often need to play back a section of audio to know how to correct it. Playback doesn't seem to work in Edit Mode, and it's very cumbersome to switch back and forth. I often need to add captions to the exact same clip in two different formats for social media - e.g. square and vertical. Simply uploading the caption file I had exported from Descript for the first clip to the second clip didn't work as I would have expected. The Descript developers are continually updating their app - which is both good and bad. It seems like every time you open it, some feature is new or modified when you haven't even had a chance to get comfortable with the way things were.

Aemyn from Pod Paste

Industry: Online Media

The future of podcasting is still just over the horizon

Overall, using Descript is a super positive experience. We're able to preview episode scripts with clients which makes the approval process a better experience for them. Our scriptwriters are able to work directly with the audio and transcript at the same time and when they're done, we can export the raw project for cleanup and sound design in an external DAW which is awesome forethought from Descript. With other projects, editing and sound design and exporting can be done entirely in Descript and I'm really happy with the results. Despite its limitations and bugs, I still struggle not to recommend Descript to anyone making a podcast. Whatever you're doing, there is a good chance you will find a place for it in your process, just maybe not as much or as reliably as you would like.

Pros

Descript is a strong collection of audio tools that just weren't available when I started making podcasts. The ability to organise, collaborate and publish an audio project in the cloud with a friendly interface is great and used to be a huge pain to figure out. Editing audio with the transcript and the waveform at the same time allows you to skip a bunch of technicalities and focus on your creativity. Video capabilities expand the possibilities, and the overall suite of tools make me rethink entirely what podcast editing can or should be in a good way.

Cons

Stability is the biggest problem I have with this. After working on about a lot of different projects with different collaborators, I'm still coming up against things that make it freeze, make it crash, or break a project (usually salvageable at least), and end up needing to work around issues to keep things rolling. Also, while Descript has a lot of features, in comparison to any long-standing audio software it leaves so much to be desired. There are many missing tools that would add a lot of room for creativity and technical cleanup. Things like audio meters, noise gate, spectrum analysis, filters to automate creatively, ducking, but also the more unexpected effects like reverb, stereo delay, pitch shifting, layered FX, these are all things podcasters of any kind might want to use for effect at some point and many folks I know can't, or don't want to tell their stories without them. This is especially true for video which misses on some basic transformations like rotation for text and images.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

Soundtrap as an editing-with-transcript tool was way too limited when I looked into it. Although it would fill a lot of gaps missing among the Descript audio tools, it wasn't anywhere close to a worthy comparison.

Emily from The Ultimate Creative Branding and Marketing Inc.

Made scaling my podcast agency so easy!

We've been able to scale from one podcast client to 20+ in less than a year, and have onboarded 2 editors. It's making it possible for my business to scale rapidly, and revenue to skyrocket!

Pros

I love that I'm able to collaborate with my editing team so that we can implement quick changes from clients no matter who is available. It was super easy to bring in new team members and train them on the workflow as well. I also love how the transcripts make it so much faster than other apps to edit - the combo of seeing words + waveforms (and the search/delete option) cut editing time in half.

Cons

Clicking and dragging still needs some work, not sure yet about the new toolbar. I also really would like to be able to use VSTs to denoise easier, right now the workflow starts in Audition or Pro Tools for any processing (our clients honestly don't understand that they need to record in quiet spaces) and then we bring it into Descript to do the edit.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

Just ease of editing & ease of collaboration. Adobe is a significantly higher cost to collab with, and definitely doesn't have the same level of collaboration capability.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Easier to edit with the transcript

Nathan from Exploring Chiropractic

Potential game changer for podcast editing

The concept is amazing and could save hours on a podcast edit… but, it just doesn't work correctly or as you would expect a lot of the time. Once the automated transcription improves and the workflow stabilizes, this could potentially replace the various tools I use to edit audio and video.

Pros

The ability to edit an interview or podcast just by editing the text is incredible. The workflow is fairly straight forward – import audio file, choose how to transcribe, wait…, edit the transcript & audio in various ways, export or publish as needed.

Cons

The automated transcription is good, but not great. There are always little errors that seem obvious to a human – capitalize the first letter in a sentence, don't capitalize a word in the middle of a sentence, abbreviate doctor as Dr. when a name follows, etc. – and they seem to always show up, even when they've been corrected previously, so it's unclear whether the 'machine' is actually 'learning'. The app appears to not be built as a native app for macOS which means it lacks certain core features. The most annoying to me is that the window always opens in the default size (i.e. small) and never remembers the sizing or positioning that I choose every time I open it. The developers are rapidly adding features, but almost too quickly. Once I get used to a feature or function, it doesn't take long for the menu item to be changed or moved (Share, Export, Publish all do similar–though different–things, and have each had their turn as a unique menu item or being grouped together in various ways). I got very efficient at correcting the transcription (which, unfortunately, must be done frequently) until they changed the entire process of editing the transcript.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

Descript has the potential to do it all – transcribe, edit, publish – for one subscription.

Beau from Prismo Systems

Game Changer

Overall it's great. As I said earlier, for people who are not experienced with editing software who need to create videos, audio files, podcasts, etc, it's a game changer in terms of ease of use, productivity, and enabling people with not video/audio editing skills.

Pros

Many startups with new products use the terms disruptive, game changer, etc. But, in the end few actually are. Based on my experience, Descript is one of those products that really is a game changer. They've taken a fundamentally different approach to video and audio editing by applying a universally familiar document editing UX to video and audio editing. This removes much of the complexity of traditional editing software and puts it into a format that's accessible by virtually anyone. The integrated transcription function is really useful and the Overdub feature is very cool for being able to make edits without re-recording and splicing in audio. And the way it's all integrated with the cloud with one click publishing makes the usability very smooth and frictionless.

Cons

As with any type of new software and when there's a new UX concept, there is a learning curve and things don't always work the way you would expect. Some people experienced with traditional editing software may find the UX a little limiting, but I don't think that's the type of user Descript is targeting with this solution. I've found the learning curve to be very fast at the beginning , so you can be up and running with it and creating content quickly. Once you need to access more advanced features it takes a little bit of time to figure out where the feature is and how to use it, but nothing out of the ordinary. I think it's just that the initial experience of being able to edit video/audio in a word processor is so good that you are then surprised when some of the more advanced features are not quite as intuitive.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

I was not really looking for a solution per se. I was searching online for text to speech solutions for doing videos and ended up on Descript's website. Their solution seemed so compelling that downloaded the free trial and then upgraded it later. So, I didn't really consider other products because no one else has the ability to edit using a document editor UX (at least as far as I know.)

Rowan from Thistle Ridge LLC

Excellent for podcast editing

I love Descript and have recommended it to several other podcast editors who now use it too. I use it for a "story edit" of each episode, taking the full audio then chopping and rearranging it, plus taking out filler words etc. You can do compression/EQ/music/bumpers/etc. in Descript but I prefer to export to a full blown DAW for that part. Descript would be great for this stuff if you are editing your own podcast and audio engineering isn't your primary focus.

Pros

Being able to edit text and have that automatically edit the audio is an amazing time saver. I was skeptical of the quality of edits this would provide, but 95% of the time the cross fades etc. it adds are spot on. For that 5% of the time where it's not quite right, you can easily adjust things using the waveform editor.

Cons

The transcription service seems to have been primarily trained on white/European-descent speakers. I've edited several episodes with African guests and the transcription is awful. You can still use it to edit the audio OK, with some laughs at the mistakes it made. But, if you want to publish a transcript then you're basically rewriting the whole thing.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

The ability to edit a transcript (with fallback to waveform editing) is a complete game changer. I can focus on the content and just drop out to audio editing when I need to. I still use other DAWs later in the process, but Descript makes that big edit of 90+min of raw audio for each episode so much more manageable.

Rohit from JMS

Industry: Broadcast Media

Most amazing audio editing tool I’ve used in 20 years

I love editing audio and video again. I feel like I’m editing a taking Word Document. Simply amazing. Try it and you won’t go back to editing only using a waveform.

Pros

This is a whole new way to edit audio and video content. I love the fact that there are frequent updates and new features. Simply amazing to edit content.

Cons

Not much in terms of audio processing. No noise reduction, etc.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

At the time I chose it because of price. But when I used the free version I was hooked and signed up for a paid version.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Audition was getting to be too expensive as part of the CC Suite.

Jeff from Big Gay Fiction Podcast

Five Stars Across the Board

It's been wonderful. Since I discovered this at Podcast Movement in 2019 it's revolutionized production on the show. I've also used it to in my day job too to help my company do training videos. It's a software I use everyday.

Pros

Descript is so easy to use. It's cut down the editing time for our podcast interviews and the overall show while increasing our quality. With the ongoing new features too, like Overdub and the ability to generate Audiograms, the service continues to get better. The transcripts have also allowed us to increase the accessibility for our podcast and the generated videos while helping to keep costs down (and as the AI continues to improve, our time to correct transcripts as also gone down)

Cons

The feature that needs attention is how the software deals with silence. Long silences are treated as "speakers" with the AI is deciding who it detects speaking. That causes issues with transcript correction. In addition, things that are actual silence can be removed, such as laughter or crosstalking or words the AI might not know. That adds extra editing time so those things are part of the final product. I'm hoping this aspect gets updated soon.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

I know use Descript to do my first pass of editing while Audition and Pro are still used to assemble the final audio and video version.

Deborah from Bluestein Associates

Language compression for better listening

I am committed to continuing with Descript since it enables an ease of editing I haven’t found anywhere else.

Pros

My favorite aspect of this software is the ability to delete filler words, shorten pauses between phrases and make my guests sound so much better than they do in the rough interview track. I love being able to edit the audio file by deleting things from the transcribed text and being able to go back and forth between editing in the text and editing in the audio file. The last episode I edited on descript cut 20 minutes off the interview. Then I bring that edited track into garage band to add intro/outro music, etc. ( i know I’m supposed to be able to do all this inside descript but I haven’t taken the time to learn how to do that.

Cons

Poor transcription of non native speakers. Not knowing how to add in existing transcript and match it with the raw interview track before editing.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Much more ease of editing the main interview track with descript.

April from Impactful Online Solutions

I use Descript for multiple things!

Editing video and audio for podcasts is so much easier in Descript. I can see exactly what I am editing out and it has made my workflow about twice as fast!

Pros

I love that to edit the audio or video, you just make the edits in the transcription instead of trying to find the exact place in the audio file. Makes it so much easier! My favorite is that it can take out all the "filler words" like "um" in about 2 clicks and make the audio sound great! So much faster than how I was doing it before with having to listen and take them out one at a time.

Cons

There are constant updates to the software, about 1 a week. This can be annoying since there is always a pop-up that says you need to update and restart almost everytime I open the app. Also, if you have multiple accounts (I have multiple clients I work with), it is hard to sign out of one account and then sign into another. Not sure why this isn't straightforward, but often when I sign out of one account and then try to sign into another, it just puts me back into the same account.

n/a

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Descript creates a transcription that I can edit from while Audacity I have to edit directly from the audio file.

andrea from bravo therapeutics

mind blowing functionality

Hands down the easiest video and text editor out there. features are mindblowing and makes editing fast and convenient. I recommend this for any video and podcasting editors.

Pros

love that the transcripts are very accurate the product has so many features and i am learning new features everyday love that i can eliminate 4-5 pieces of software love that i can create audio grams very easy for editing text and video

Cons

there are so many features, it does have a long learning curve with some of its functions the demo videos are a little confusing and I had to watch them a few times to figure out how exactly to do certain things.

limited features

Adam from Podcast Royale

You can build your whole business around Descrtip

Huge time-saver. I look forward to creating video clips and editing audio (it makes a tedious experience more fun!). But more than anything it has allowed us to systematize our process in a way that wasn't possible before. We can do things now that would have required extensive domain knowledge before.

Pros

What I love most about Descript is that it makes the process of creating audio and video clips (as well as editing for podcast episodes) super simple. I also love how often the team updates the software and releases new features. I feel like my trust in Descript is well-placed.

Cons

I wish there was more flexibility in the export options. For example, we can do 90% of our audiogram/videogram workflow in Descript, but we still have to move into something like Adobe Premiere for that last 10%. If there were just a few more customization options, we could do 100% in Descript. That said, many of the features I love didn't exist in the beginning, so I'm confident it will eventually get there, and am not worried in the slightest about building our processes and systems around Descript.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

See answer to "why did you make the switch".

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Because Descript is a better product that is easier to use, has team functionality that makes our multi-person process easier to implement, and combines multiple steps (that used to require multiple apps) into one app.

Bryan from Go Be More, LLC

Makes editing a podcast so much easier!

It's been great. We started a podcast with no background in audio production and were doing fine with Audacity, but Descript just changed what we felt we could do, and how much time it takes to do it. I've recommended it to many people already and I expect I'll recommend it to many more.

Pros

It's very easy to use as a novice. There are lots of functionality buried within that I know I'm not utilizing, but I don't need it to get my job done. I love the ability to edit the audio by editing text and adding music onto my podcast voice files is straightforward. This is by far the easiest editing tool I've tried.

Cons

There are lots of features that I know exist but that I don't see or that I don't know how or when I should use them. This is on me to learn, but I do wish tools would provide access to mini-tutorials from within the main workspace so that when you are working you could better identify whether that functionality you've never used might help to solve your problem.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

I liked the ability to edit the audio by editing the text.

Amelia from University of Denver

An Interface That Brings Editing to All!

The ability to edit the transcript and audio and visual simultaneously saves HOURS of time, and allows me to pull off large-scale projects on a tight timeline without working over hours. SO easy to integrate into accessibility initiatives with the .srt exports directly from the transcripts. The automatic removal of filler words and inclusion of multiple speaker tags are fantastic features.

Pros

This software utilizes the experience of using a word processor, and harnesses it to help make an editing process that is intuitive, easy, and efficient. This makes it a time saver for me, and I have been able to teach non-design and non-tech colleagues how to use it in order to share the production work across various projects with ease.

Cons

Initially, the transcript and audio functions worked excellently, while the video was still a but rough. Now, though, Descript has spent several months upgrading and updating their platform so that the video editing is much more seamless and more can be done through the platform to produce great videos. The overdub is clever and helpful, but requires quite a bit of honing to get high-quality results.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

The intuitive interface, ease of accessing educational materials and support through their team, and the products ability to enhance our accessibility efforts across modalities.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Still using WeVideo for many projects, but for podcasting or editing of long videos that need significant adjustments, rearranging, cutting down, and reproduction Descript is the tool to use!

Heather from New Wave Accounting, LLC

Do You Edit? This Software Will Change Your Life!

I LOVE this product. I tell everyone I know with a podcast to use this software. It seriously has changed my life. I'm able to edit much quicker and can cut and paste easily by viewing the text.

Pros

Taking out filler words takes only a few seconds - this is an amazing feature that can save HOURS of time. Not only does it work for audio, but the video is nearly seamless when using this feature.

Cons

Due to it being on the cloud, the video is slow to respond when editing.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

I still use these other products for recording and final editing where I compile the podcast, but for editing audio this is my prefered platform.

The text features

A Game-Changer for media production teams

Descript has really changed the way I produce podcasts and other media. It gives me more control and helps complete many tasks at once. I like that I can get a transcript, and edit the text AND audio at the same time. I haven't even used all the features available, but excited to work with more video projects in Descript.

Pros

What I like the most about using Descript, is that it allows me to use 1 tool for many of my needs. Previously I would have to use 3-4 different sites/tools to get the job done. It also allows me to make media (podcasts) more on my own time, instead of relying on freelancers and others.

Cons

It does seem to take a lot for my computer to process using Descript. I haven't run into any issues yet and have an upgraded computer, but could see an issue if I'm traveling or had less capacity.

Yann from 360 Entrepreneur

Industry: Online Media

A must-have for every video content creator

Pros

I have been using Descript for a while now, and have noticed a new series of features being added to the platform. However, even though those additions have been more than welcome, what I consider the platform's top feature is something that has been at its core for quite some time: Descript's transcription tool. In particular, I was really impressed by the accuracy of the transcription tool's AI. If I had to estimate, I would say that the accuracy of the transcriptions Descript has done for my video content has been around 90%, which is really good.

Cons

While the transcription tool has been very good and accurate, I feel that its user interface could be improved. In fact, it has happened to me a few times to accidentally delete parts of a video (since Descript can be used for video editing too), while I was trying to edit some of the captions/subtitles that were created by the tool's automated transcription feature. Luckily, I have also noticed this in time but this could have very well have led to a video having missing parts because of this "accident".

Jes from Lemberg Films Ltd

Missing link software - hope it sticks to its strengths!

I love descript (although less than I did since the video editing features were added) Descript solves several problems for me. It helps both me and my clients go through interviews more quickly and accurately - and helps with dialogue choices early on in an edit. The compilations I make in Descript I can recreate easily and quickly in Premiere. And then at the end of my process I can output with subtitles - accurately and easily. If I am making animations then I can get accurately time-stamped voice recordings and generate audiograms which make it easy to time the animations precisely.

Pros

The product is pretty easy to use straight off the bat but its when you get the transcripts back that things really get interesting. The way the text and audio/video files are linked is totally special. You can change one and the other follows. You can copy and paste text and the media comes along too. Once you've compiled your rough you can export

Cons

Software feels a bit slower and bloated now due to the addition of the editing features - and a bit more sensitive to handle. I have to be more accurate when I click!

Chelsey from And The Net Appeared

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Makes editing my podcast a breeze!

Overall experience has been a breeze. So grateful for Descript. Makes editing audio simple and fast.

Pros

I love that I can basically edit my podcast episodes by working with what is essentially a word doc. The auto transcriptions are super helpful for pulling quote, clips, and soundbites - especially if I ever go back through and just want to skim the content (without having to listen for a specific section of the episode.

Cons

I don't have many cons to share. If I were using the transcripts as part of my finished product I might like them to be a bit more accurate, but it looks like there are frequent updates to make them more and more spot on (with easy enough features to customize and dial in the exact transcript where needed).

Reasons for Choosing Descript

The transcript feature won me over immediately. Plus the overdub functionality, which I haven't needed to use yet but am very fascinated by.

Daniel from Post Script Audio

Transformative product with lots of bugs to work through

We save tons of time with Descript. It also helps us collaborate as producers (it's so easy to jump into a project and help with a specific subtask). It also helps us collaborate with external stakeholders, like clients or consultants. They can see the progress, provide feedback in a simple way and even write into it if we give them that access.

Pros

Editing text instead of audio has revolutionized my company's workflow. We make podcasts and it has saved us tons of time to use Descript for highly produced shows. It doesn't really help with weekly shows that require minimal editing and fast turnarounds. But for months-long narrative projects, it is so incredibly easy to edit text linked to audio and then script around that. We then export to Audition or Protools to mix and score. But having this step along the way saves many hours of time and improved collaboration with internal and external people.

Cons

It's really buggy! Things stop working frequently. Then Descript fixes it. Then there's another bug. I have faith that they'll get to a point where I'm not running into bugs every week or every few days, but it is frustrating for now.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

Descript replaces key parts of our workflow with Adobe Audition and Avid Pro Tools. But it does not replace them. We still use both of these for other projects and to mix/score/fine tune the exports out of Descript.

William from There’s a Sub For That Podcast

The best in the industry!

Making an all audio podcast sound clean is the bread and butter of this app. It has made me love editing my show!

Pros

A must use tool for any podcast company. Editing has never been more streamlined.

Cons

Video editing the s close but I use three cameras and two to three audio sources. Multicam needs to be more streamlined

Na

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Audio editing is way easier.

Juma from Relate Studios

One of most powerful tools for video creation

Captioning for one. Transcripts for content repurposeing. Fast video output.

Pros

I got this tool for captioning initially, now I use it for all my videos. It's easy to use and the support was good. I also found creative ways to use the timeline to animate images. The control over audio gain, compression etc.

Cons

No COPY and PASTE function for video clips. How clips are pinned is still a bit of a mystery to me. Inability to save editing templates. No green screen support. Why do clips shorten from the back?

Reasons for Switching to Descript

The trial on this was better so I was willing to learn it, plus the UX was better. Why did y'all even put a watermark on video output for the trial version? If it had that from the beginning of my use I would have never switched.

Scott from A Skeptic's Path to Enlightenment

Magical software of the future for audio + video + text editing

It's an incredible tool that we use for all our podcasts and videos. It saves tons of time and improves quality and allows tight collaboration. It's a magical use of AI technology for audio and video editing.

Pros

The killer feature of this product is the ability to edit text and audio or video simultaneously. You can edit each and the other immediately updates, so it's possible to "read" your entire show as well as edit in depth by words or by frames or samples when necessary. It's wonderful to have the whole project in the cloud with comments shared like a Google Doc for collaboration. The automatic transcription works pretty well with clear speakers. Exporting to audio files or DAW projects works well.

Cons

The automatic edits at word boundaries can be a little rough and need hand touching up. Sometimes the software needs to be restarted to take into account a new update. Occasional slipping of time or data due to software updates or collaboration. Could still use a "stem" export function in addition to flattened audio and DAW projects. It would be great to improve automated transcription further, but this is a hard problem.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

There are no viable alternatives

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Ability to edit text and audio Ability to collaborate Automated transcription

Ryan from Pure Creation Multimedia

Industry: Broadcast Media

I use Descript Daily and its irreplaceable

Pros

I love how it makes editing podcasts easy with my clients and collaborators. Editing the text to edit the sound is a really handy feature. Filler word removal has been great Its great for recording scripted ads too as I can quickly punch in/out to get the right cadence and ultimately the best take

Cons

There are some glitches when it comes to collaboration i.e. not being able to make comments (and notifying your collaborator) until the audio is transcribed, which as a collaborator on someone else's drive I cannot do Room tone generation seems to be selected as default When using filler word removal, the cuts can sound quite harsh and require spaces before and after to sound natural

Andrew from The Integrated Schools Podcast

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Fast and Easy - Completely changed my editorial process for the better

The work involved in keeping audio and the content it represented connected in my mind was overwhelming before Descript. The result was that edits that might have improved my podcast ended up not happening due to time constraints. Not only has Descript saved me time, but made the final product more coherent and stronger.

Pros

The speed with which I can turn recorded audio into something I can meaningfully edit from without having to listen and re-listen and try to keep audio sections in mind.

Cons

I would like additional audio processing options (AU plug-in support?), and there are still times where a new update will significantly slow down the application. The ability to watch / listen to published pages on mobile still seems somewhat lacking.

Marissa from Self

Game Changer for Audio Editors

I think the biggest change is that it makes my podcast editing experience more enjoyable. I feel more in touch with what I’m putting out into the world, and better able to edit and parse it. Despite my tech proficiency, I struggle with the frequent UI changes and have yet to make the audio recording feature work, so I have to import my audio from another program; if there were fuller audio controls I could really make it a one-stop shop for my podcast creation.

Pros

I was skeptical that editing audio in this way would result in a good-sounding podcast, but it has made the editing process so much clearer. Lots of great little features enable me to make content that I can push to socials as well!

Cons

The software frequently updates with significant changes to where things are placed and stored and no explanation of these changes. The auto-transcription is riddled with errors that it’s a little tedious to correct. Too many features are behind a SECOND tier paywall. Some of these things I get (the high-tech voice generation feature seems with extra money) but it seems odd that as a paying subscriber I can’t, say, replace the Descript logo in my audiograms.

Richard from NHS

Fantastic Must Have Software!

Overall the experience is extremely positive, so much so I now use this software daily. The business benefits to me are astounding, allowing me to transcribe, overdub and use the many features on descript to make my life easier, make me more productive and increase my efficiency.

Pros

Transcription, text search, the ability to use the software effortlessly means this is a crucial piece of software to me both personally and professionally. I love the feature of after transcription, clicking on a word and playing the video from there, such a simple feature but I am sure was very hard to implement from a programming perspective.

Cons

I think it would be great to see a thumbnail overview of projects currently being worked on, having that option as well as list view would be very helpful to me. Sometimes the software can be buggy in terms of asking something to be transcribed and it says this cannot be completed at this time. The other thing I like least is after you've imported multiple files and transcribed them, the software can re-order them, then the videos and transcription are out of sequence, there is no easy way to re-order them and get them to where you want them to be.

Cyn from Ryan Video Productions

Industry: Motion Pictures and Film

Descript - audio and text editing

Pros

The transcription and editing capabilities is are what I use most. I can edit a podcast and have it blog ready in a very short amount of time. I like that I can edit out filler words painlessly with the touch of a button. Also, the tutorials have been a huge help AND the couple of times I've needed to reach out for help, I've found the Customer Support to be responsive and friendly. No downtime necessary to get my questions answered in a fast and timely manner.

Cons

I'd like to see the voice recognition and transcription continue to be improved. Descript does a great job, but the better it becomes, the faster I get due to having less corrections. Still, my editing is a simpler process now than it was before.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

I found the transcriptions made my work/projectsI easier to do and therefore, they were done in a shorter amount of time. That translates to making more money per job.

Monico from Monico Photography, Inc.

Industry: Photography

Video interviews made easy

I used descript to build scripts from video interviews on a few jobs so far. I love removing filler words, “um’s” and “a”s. Building scripts from transcription services is great, but you still have to mark with a time code and match clips to get the work done. I love theses of exporting the xml and seeing my work in Final Cuts after editing in descript. Saves me hours.

Pros

The difference Descript has over other transcription services is that you can 1. Create variations by making different projects 2. Export XML to Final Cut or Premier for an edited version that speeds up workflow for interviews and the spoken word. Learning the software is pretty straight forward and they have great tutorials when you run into a snag. Descript has been a game changer for my corporate and personal profile video workflow. I share the script with my client and ask them to highlight stuff they want me to try and keep in their spoken word. When I’m done putting a rough together, I send them a link from the site. Super easy and looks really professional.

Cons

I can’t really say there are any con’s at the moment. This software tops the other transcription services that I was using and wouldn’t go back because of the features and cost of descript.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

I like Descript because they have more options, easy to use and cost is fair.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

XPort to XML (final Cut Pro)

Tom from Menzingers LLC

Tom’s review

Pros

It takes a completely unique approach to media editing, with the content and concept as focus instead of just abstract files.

Cons

When I get used to a function it changes quickly with updates affecting work flow. However sometimes the changes are easier.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Descript is easier and faster, you need to make less decisions. I still use protools to edit with high powered plug ins and such but the actual work gets edited in Descript.

Evo from Simpler Media Productions

My go-to transcription and text-based assembly service!

It's a solid product that, as mentioned, will change the way podcasts are made in the future.

Pros

Descript is changing the way the next generation will make podcasts. And for old dogs like me too! It's a refreshing break from the DAW-focused world we live in today.

Cons

It's still a bit buggy on my M1 Mac, with frequent crashes/restarts. Always recoverable, but it does make me reticent to more integrate the tool into my workflow.

Denys from PA Ancestors

Making Podcasts and YouTube Video

Descript was the tool that allowed me to go from an audio only podcast to video podcast.

Pros

Ease of editing by working with the transcript and not the video & audio only.

Cons

The continual updates. Seriously this has got to stop. Every single week a button has moved or been added or changed shape. Please stop. I would pay triple to stop the changes.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

The built in transcription and ease of editing.

Matthew from Dialektic

A Work Of Genius In Progress

Honestly, I don't know how I would do what I do without it. My one regret is I didn't discover it sooner. Not only is it a great product, but it's constantly getting better. It's exciting to be a part of!

Pros

It does so many things that I need it to do. It handles the end-to-end process of recording, editing, polishing and presenting audio and visual self-created media, and does it with class. The 'hook' that originally set me on to the software was the functionality of being able to edit text and have the audio automatically edited. Previously I was using standard audio editing software, and because I do a lot of editing (mid sentence edits, changing the location of words) I would probably have had a breakdown if I hadn't found Descript.

Cons

I think it's not quite right to describe these as 'cons' as the software is continually being updated, and users finding areas for improvement is part of the process. As you use the software more, you discover things that you would like to have differently. For example, at the moment, you can't pause the Screen Recorder - not a massive issue because you can delete gaps automatically - but still something that should be fairly easy to add. These issues don't bother me, because I know I can send an email and there is a high likelihood that the issue will be fixed.

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Way harder to use, and purely audio focussed.

Catherine from Be Still

Great quality and easy to use

Pros

I am a complete novice when it comes to recording. I have found Descript easy to use, fantastic that I can see the transcript and manipulate it to get the recording that I need. The drag and drop of video and music is so easy and brilliant. And when I asked a sound technician to check my quality he was impressed with the sound. The room tone is a great addition

Cons

I don't know what I don't know - I don't know what other options there are. Other than that I have found it great.

Ease of use

Chris from WP Mantis

Take the frustration out of audio/video editing.

Pros

I love that Descript makes editing video and audio content so easy. And the transcriptions are so accurate it's scary! This software has saved me countless hours but more importantly removes so many barriers that keep people from getting started with creating video and audio content.

Cons

The editor UI is a bit clunky and compressed, I feel like the editor area should be larger which might make it even easier to use.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

Ease of use. And more adequate for what we're doing with our content.

Winnie from Winnifred S. da Silva

Descript is a Podcaster's Dream

I use Descript every week to edit and produce my podcast. I recently hired an editor and he uses it too. It has been a great tool. I was able to figure out how to use it and produce my podcast quickly. And it's fun to use!

Pros

I love that I don't have to be a sound expert to edit my podcast. It's like editing a document so it makes it really intuitive and easy to edit, add music and produce a podcast I'm proud of.

Cons

There are quite a few features so sometimes I get the sense that I'm missing out on ways I could maximize this product and tool. There are probably some videos available but the more the better. Also maybe some guidance on how to build up my skills on Descript - like where to start - would be helpful.

Reasons for Choosing Descript

I got really lucky because before I started on my podcast, a friend recommended Descript although so many people I know had never heard of it. I tell people about it whenever I get the chance. I'm so thankful I didn't have to use another audio / podcasting tool!

Cardinal from Genuine Growth Marketing

Versatile - we use Descript for everything

Descript is my #1. We use it for making training videos, editing podcasts, recording client meetings, writing website copy… the list goes on. I am always recommending it to my friends.

Pros

I love how I can edit the text and that changes the audio and video along with it.

Cons

Doing more complicated video editing can get a little clunky but that is perhaps just due to user error.

Madeline from Alteryx

Descript is a life saver!

Pros

It's a life saver for editing audio. Never again will I edit audio blindly - Descript is SO helpful in storytelling, and scripting narrations, and overall getting a better grasp on what you have in your audio. I love being able to add multiple compositions into a single project - it keeps things wonderfully organized.

Cons

The recent update to removing filler words has been cutting off words from either side of the filler word.

Mark from BirdNote

Game Changing Audio Editor

Pros

Descript has changed how I work in documentary audio. It's so much faster and easier to try new story ideas, pull selects, and get a rough mix ready. I've used the app since pre-release in 2017, and they've added great new features at a relentless pace. I can't imagine working without a tool like Descript.

Cons

With new features, the app has gotten more sluggish and more cluttered. Writing text makes my laptop get extremely hot and the fans rev up. I can't work for long on battery power. A release focused on speed, stability, resource efficiency, and cleaning up the interface is sorely needed.

Andrew from CueVu

Industry: Research

My favorite software - Works great and it's fun to use

They have a product called overdub which is really fun to use. I highly recommend it.

Pros

This really helps me get my job done,. It's fun to use, too. Great video editing tool and to make content from interviews.

Cons

I'd say my only criticism is the support is slow. But you will be able to figure it all out for yourself. And there YT videos are the perfect way to learn