What are OBS Studio users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using OBS Studio software through verified user reviews

• icon"It's easy to setup and use, the settings and help text are very helpful. You can get up and running quickly, and it's very customizable."
  • icon"I liked that I was able to integrate my own layouts and have them show up on my screen. I also loved being able to change back and forth between scenes."
  • icon"Not to mention the integration with the elgato stream deck is amazing, and has allowed me to use OBS in ways it was not originally intended (cue'd premade video assets for a live show)."
  • icon"I disliked the user interface because it is hard to manipulate things in real time."
  • icon"That can means sending the wrong feed live at times - the power of OBS needs to be fully understood so that you don't make simple errors."
  • icon"In my case it sometimes crashes or simply stops recording content. I have not yet reached a conclusion if it is a software failure or a limitation of my computer."

Browse all OBS Studio Reviews

• Have you used OBS Studio and would like to share your experience with others?

CharRon E.

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

OBS time

Ernesto Alfonso

May 2022

Lo mejor que existe para streamers

Imprescindible para mi trabajo online, conferencias, clases y grabación, simplemente imprescindible.

Pros

Es código abierto, una comunidad que contribuye a mejoras continuas. Cada vez se desarrollan nuevas funcionalidades, es configurable, personalizable, funciona para Stream en cualquier plataforma o redes sociales, Grabación a cualquier formato, cámara virtual compatible con cualquier otro software como zoom, Video Prezi, Google meetings, etc. Puedes configurarlo como mixer como estudio.

Cons

Las configuraciones y mezclador de Audio cuestra trabajo mezclar fácilmente.

Reasons for choosing OBS Studio

Primero porque es codigo abierto, Ofrece lo mismo y mejor lo que los demás de paga proporcionan. Su calidad es insuperable.

Ridwan

Industry: Broadcast Media

This screen recorder can beat all the big name easily

I am a fan of OBS which you already know if you have read the review. It is a screen recorder and it is the best. Don't freak out with its control, give it some love and time it will return the favor ten fold

Pros

What not to love. Its lightweight, feature rich and can record long videos. OBS gives you flexibility not available in most screen recorder. Once I start using it I never looked back once. Other screen recorder require you to tell it what to do each time. OBS doesn't have that problem. Once I setup my profiles it is just selecting profiles. And it can handle anything. No need for configuring every time you launch.

Cons

OBS has a little difficult learning curve but I will suggest you to watch an YouTube tutorial if necessary cause once you get the hang of it you will save hours throughout your use of OBS. Another thing I miss time to time is a video cutter. I believe it will be a nice addition.

Cost and flexibility

Jeff

December 2021

Tie-ing It All Together

Pros

It's ease of use. We have a production team that, may I say, are not the most technically advanced but are able to follow simple directions. OBS Studio allows us to easily record our Sunday services directly from the Google Meet streaming service presented on the OBS Studio laptop. Once Google took away the ability to record (this was removed for non-profit accounts), we switched over to OBS Studio, and have been happy ever since.

Cons

No Cons about the software. The only Con is that we have to use another piece of software to record our Service instead of a direct download from Google Meet. OBS has come through for the last 16 months.

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

Google Meet stopped allowing the Admin to record the meeting for those of us using the non-profit edition of Google Workspace.

JAZE

Industry: Architecture & Planning

What You Should Know About OBS Studio

My ability to stream content and record live events from my PC has been phenomenal thanks to this software... it's easy to use and tons of fun once you get totally used to it.

Pros

The best screen recording software in the game. Add different audio sources, change backgrounds accordingly, livestream with ease... you got it all in one with OBS Studio. Connect any of your favorite social media platforms to use livestream and you'll be totally impressed with what you get, no other software does it better.

Cons

I honestly have no qualms or cons against this software, I have yet to find any.

Reasons for choosing OBS Studio

I saw a lot of Youtubers going the OBS Studio route so I decided to investigate the software one time. To my surprise, it was the better choice to make.

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

The versatility of OBS Studio was what made me change my mind. The stream quality of Icecream is a lot lower than OBS Studio so making the switch for me was a no brainer.

Dale

Industry: Wholesale

March 2022

Best FREE screen and stream recording software out there

Overall i've found OBS to be a great free streaming software. For the purpose of streaming its fantastic with all the 'bells and whistles' next to the paid version that are out there. I've used it in both capacities for streaming gaming to twitch, as well as an educational stream over twitch through both schools and colleges.

Pros

The fact that OBS Studio is free and open source. It has tons of support and a very well rounded community backing its use. Any issues using the software is quickly solved by the great cupport community. Other than this the software is very intuitive and easy to use, especially if the main purpose is streaming, and screen sharing across a stream.

Cons

The issue I had with the software was calibrating OBS audio so that there were no delays in the streams audio. The good thing about this however, is there is a built in audio delay where you can purposefully delay someones audio so it matches the delay of other person streaming or recording. Not only is audio delay and issue, but audio sync with the video being streamed, but this has got far beter with each version update.

Reasons for choosing OBS Studio

OBS had a easier user interface and the over UX semmed far easy for a beginner to use than other software of this type.

Bidharva

Industry: Graphic Design

#Best in Live Production and Recording

I'm really satisfied with how well OBS is optimized , its the best streaming software that I've seen in awhile after vMix

Pros

I really like the open and start streaming feature of OBS , just a click of the button..and boom I'm live on YouTube or another streaming service

Cons

I really didn't like the hotkey for changing scenes , when I'm in the studio I press the letter that's on my scene , it automatically changes to it , like I didn't mean to change it But it changes . and for video editing side, never used it mostly because I'm a video editor and I use other third party software to edit

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

because the UI is the too much customized and its really hard for beginners to learn and understand how the software works.

German Liber

OBS, the king of streaming (on budget) studios

It was a slow learning curve and at first really confused me, but OBS Studio was the best solution for my project. While looking at the stream I really thought it looked professional, and I was very satisfied.

Pros

I started using OBS while doing a film series in my city, the project was open to the public, but the pandemic forced me to turn the thing into an online project. I used a lot of streaming software at first, skipping OBS for no reason, but when I tried the software I was in awe. The whole package its free to use, while limited sometimes, if you learn how to set it up (Wiki and guides are really useful on the official website), you're good to go. I like to think about OBS as a solution for basic or minimalistic projects. On audio, you can set different audio tracks, separate them and record them. About video, the settings for streaming are useful if your internet connection it's not too good or if your PC/laptop it's not the most powerful out there. The software was using a lot of ram on my laptop at first, but after tweaking the settings a bit, it became really lightweight. You can add a capture device, you can capture your own desktop, a window, you can even add GIFs, images and videos and resize them or drag them through the screen. And yes, you can record on .H264, and that's one of the best things about it. Rookie streamer, if you're reading this and want to take a challenge, download and install OBS right now, it's the best solution for your project if you're on a tight budget.

Cons

As said, sometimes it lags the computer a bit if you didn't set up the whole thing correctly. The instructions guide it's really extensive and things are kind of hard to understand if you're a novice (YouTube tutorials can help you a lot on this).

Reasons for choosing OBS Studio

OBS it's free and open source, and I chose it because I had zero money on the project.

Shefali

Industry: Research

April 2022

A slightly outdated screen capture program

Its complicated to navigate, but once you get used to it, it has some nice features to offer. If they could make it more user friendly it would actually be a really enjoyable tool.

Pros

The options of having different screens to manage is pretty convenient. I like how easy it is to understand how to stack the different UI elements for streaming.

Cons

Sometimes the audio lags behind the screen capture which can be very inconvenient and hinders the user experience. It used to be extremely user-unfriendly, which they have improved on significantly, but its still overly complicated. The selective part of the screen for the stream sometimes just shows up as a black screen.

Ariel

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Promete pero no cumple!

Mediocre, son lugar a dudas.

Pros

El software es gratuito y buena puerta de entrada, sin enbargo no cumple con las espectativas.

Cons

Como usuario de mac, creeria que las posibilidades de configurar son complejas.

Aniket

Industry: Research

The best screen-casting software out there!

OBS Studio has helped me record a lot of my lectures (for the students) very easy! I could record off my camera, screen, windows and the filters help enhance the quality or crop off sections off the recording. This makes my post-recording work almost none! The best part is that its open source and hence, FREE! There is an excellent community that maintain this software and I am nonetheless amazed of what all it has to offer.

Pros

The features OBS Studio offers are immense. There are a truck load of features, from recording screens/windows to streaming/broadcasting to adding filters! OBS Studio is efficiently optimized to do its work and doesn't add much to the system load! It is available for all major distributions, like Windows, Mac, Linux and supports all of them flawlessly!

Cons

You'll need a manual before starting out with OBS. Although, once you start, it gets pretty intuitive and it gets better by the minute. It would take some time to get accustomed to the UI, but it is a really powerful software, that can literally do anything!

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

I used to use Bandicam and Windows Game Bar to record my screen earlier. I had nothing for my camera earlier, and used a regular camera video. However, OBS offers to do both, record screen and camera, making it an all-in-one package. Bandicam is a paid tool and most of the functionalities it offers are paid, with certain limitations. Furthermore, since its a proprietary product, we don't know how it runs under the hood and hence is less "secure" than OBS studio which is open source and FREE! Windows Game Bar is just a windows-specific service to record screen capture, and that's it. No specific window or camera, but just the screen. It lacks a lot of features and also can't be tuned as per our requirement.

Charles Boampong

March 2022

Best screen recorder and video editing software

As an open-source software that offers an extremely high screen recording and video recording for professional work, I will recommend OBS for everyone, especially new YouTubers, Facebook content managers, and other digital marketers.

Pros

It has a great configuration and advanced tools for video streaming, recording, and editing.

Cons

It can be a little complicated as a first-time user, but you soon discover that it's easy to use.

Reasons for choosing OBS Studio

A friend recommended OBS to me.

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

I found it easier and much more convenient to use OBS.

Philip

OBS is a tremendous option for LIVE Streaming to either Facebook or YouTube

It's been a bit of learning curve and some things are a little difficult to to figure out (it's not a very intuitive user interface) but overall it works well. I'm able to live stream on two of the platforms I am on most often and I can do this with a bit of finesse which is important to me as a video professional.

Pros

The ability to create multiple scenes and switch between them while live streaming. Each scene can be either a pre-recorded video source (thus giving you the option of going "Live" with a taped segment [or segments]), a camera (live video source) or a static image.

Cons

The inability to create a playlist of scenes so that I could more easily go from one to the next. OBS seems to require me to select a preview and then switch it to live. I'd rather be able to fading a sequence of scenes and then just press one button to go through them.

Price

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

OBS is a lot less expensive and has a similar feature set for my needs.

Gift

Industry: Music

Best Video Live Streaming Software

It is there when I need it the most, the in-the-moment recording of my digital journeys.

Pros

For me, it was the multi-tasking screen recording facet inside the software. There are 2 screens which records the videos upon installing this and that helps a lot to double record, in case the other one screws up. Also, it was easy to learn all the buttons and easy to navigate esp for beginners like me back then. The app records in the background with no fuss at all.

Cons

Probably the amount of time I have to research and learn the software but after that, everything is easier.

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

Bandicam, even though its easy to use, still has so much less options for the livestreamer. It only records but can't live stream. But I would say, still is a good second best when one needs a screen recorder.

Philip

OBS Studio - Great Screen and Sound Capture Solution

Pros

For creating demonstration or review videos, for uploading to Youtube (for example), OBS Studio provides all I need. Setting up hotkeys was straightforward. The video and audio quality of the results are faultless as long as a good quality microphone is used and positioned correctly.

Cons

I did experience some dropping of frames, but it was easy to find help on this and thus it was quickly rectified. That being said, I found the help a little bit unstructured (just a list of FAQs), but the OBS Studio is intuitive so resorting to the help documentation was seldom necessary, plus I found plenty of help on Youtube.

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

Some of my videos are longer than 15 minutes and Screencast-o-matic (free version) requires you to have a watermark on the video (and restricts videos to under 15 minutes). OBS is free.

Marcos

OBS Is the King of Streaming Software... For a Reason

OBS can be a pain to set up, but once you get over that initial hump, it's peerless. The feature set you have access to for free is incredible. There's a reason why most professional streamers have incorporated OBS into their workflow: it's the king. There's simply no better value out there than OBS.

Pros

The fact that you can use OBS for free is a testament to the open source community and their commitment to providing value. I've used OBS to do online workshops, host virtual events and capture screen footage. It has done every single one of those tasks flawlessly, and without costing me a penny. Hardware acceleration is well implemented, too, so you know you're getting the most out of your rig.

Cons

It can be a bit cumbersome to set up, and a bit counter-intuitive. If you've never set up a capture and streaming type of software, than it probably will take you a few YouTube tutorials before you're up and running. Commercial solutions are much more user-friendly, but cost a bunch of money.

Reasons for choosing OBS Studio

If you put in the time to learn the software, OBS does everything XSplit does, and more, for free.

T. Ryan

Extremely powerful tool for broadcasting multiple video and audio sources.

Overall I think OBS is fantastic. It is a bit kludge-y in certain aspects but I have been using it for about a year and a half now and I can't imagine switching to a different tool. It has been able to handle multiple camera scenarios with ease. I just love it.

Pros

This product allowed me to quickly put together professional "studio grade" composite video scenes that were then easily broadcast to a number of online sites. I used it most frequently with Twitch and it has nicely integrated twitch features, but it can also be used to broadcast to facebook or youtube given that you have things configured correctly. The ability to apply video and audio filters as well as support for a variety of different audio and video formats for inset playback was extremely useful.

Cons

This product has a bit of a DIY flair. For anyone with a background in video editing or audio editing it wont take too long to figure out how to set up a scene and broadcast with OBS. However, the onbaording for new users is virtually non existant. I certainly wouldn't give OBS to someone with little to know technical experience and expect them to be successfull. In today's tech landscape, especially when it comes to streaming there are so many unsophisticated users attempting to get started that I think a few more passes to the UX and UI would be beneficial.

Reasons for choosing OBS Studio

OBS has much better integrated streaming features that many of the other video / screen capturing products i looked at do not.

sergio

May 2022

Fácil de implementar para tus transmisiones

Muy buena herramienta aunque es necesario tener buen internet para que no salga cortada la transmisión

Pros

La manera fácil de usarla pero también de vincular la transmisión hacia otros canales como Youtube o Twich

Cons

No había mucha información dentro de la app sobre cómo hacer la configuración en una primera instancia para obtener los videos como uno lo necesita, pero viendo tutoriales se soluciona

Reasons for choosing OBS Studio

porque me permite tener varias escenas y la otra no, era todo directo

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

porque en zoom no me permitían tener varias escenas

Alessio

March 2022

Fantastic solution for streaming with multiple cameras

Pros

The program is open source compatible with a wide range of technologies, and its functionality can be extended with plugins. It’s in active development and great new features are added continuously.

Cons

There is no native solution for bringing remote guests into the stream.

Reasons for choosing OBS Studio

I chose OBS over Ecamm Live because OBS allows you to view multiple scenes at the same time with Multiview. This feature is essential if you have several cameras and want to choose the best shot continuously during the live stream.

Lacey

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

February 2022

No just skilled level, but master level need only apply!

It's been about a 50/50 love/hate type relationship. When it's good it's great... when it's bad it's terrible! I feel certain 50% off my issues are equipment and hardware not being up to par and the other 50% of my issues are with the UI.

Pros

I like how it breaks the barrier of my internet service weakness and my low quality equipment and can make my video look professional.

Cons

I don't like that it makes me feel inadequate because i have no idea what I'm doing really. I follow the instructions and it takes me a few times of trying before i get it up and running... but then the slightest pull on my internet or my laptop will quickly freeze it all up.

Reasons for choosing OBS Studio

Droidcam was a basic broadcast of my phone camera to my laptop, it offered a few extras that my built in webcam didn't but it froze a lot and didn't offer enough features

Pablo

El mejor software de transmisión

Se pueden realizar cualquier tipo de transmisiones en vivo, principalmente por Youtube, eventos, reuniones, etc. El nuevo complemento de cámara virtual (antes también estaba como plugin) permite insertar una cámara virtual completamente configurable en cualquier plataforma de videollamada.

Pros

Sin duda es el mejor software para transmitir y/o crear secuencias audiovisuales en tiempo real, la posibilidad de mezclar diversas fuentes, cada vez más variadas, tanto de audio como de video, la incorporación del editor en tiempo real (como un director de cámara), la transmisión en distintos medios con calidad y codecs completamente configurables, filtros y transiciones en tiempo real. Y además totalmente gratuito y open source!

Cons

Solo puedo hacer una leve objeción respecto a la complejidad de la configuración y la interfaz para un usuario principiante, pero realmente esa crítica queda atrás frente a la cantidad de opciones y el funcionamiento del programa.

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

Una vez que se aprende a utilizar, la fluidez y características únicas que proporciona el programa es inigualable

Stepan

OBS Studio - my first choice for screen recording

I was looking for a screen recording software and got recommendet OBS by collegue. Quick download, installation, setup few thing and I was recording. Quick and easy. Quality of the recorded footage is great. All of this happened 3 years ago and I am still big fan of OBS Stuido and it is my go tool for screen recording. And as a cherry on top of that, it is free. What more can I say?

Pros

I am really pleased with how easy and straightforward this software is. I don't like messing with loads of different settings. First time setup was setting up resolution, location for recordings and that was it. Quick and easy. I am usually recording simulations and games, which are CPU and GPU intensive on its own, so I appreciate minimal additional load from OBS during recordings.

Cons

I don't really have any. Maybe the GUI looks bit dated, but it is personal taste and doesn't affect usage.

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

Fraps is paid, available settings and quality was not on the same level as OBS Studio.

Rodrigo

April 2022

No Brainer, but be aware...

No Brainer, giving OBS is a free tool and it is used by millions of user accros the globe. As I said, at the begining and if you are not familiar in setting up screen recording tool you may face some headaches but at the end and reading the Help Portal you will manage.

Pros

It is a free tool and it is full of resources.

Cons

It requires patience to understand how the tool works and you may have some headache when using with some platforms. But do not give up as OBS works smoothly once you understand how the tool works and how to set it up properly.

It is free.

Tinotenda

If you want to stream and record, OBS is the best software

OBS is an awesome online streaming software that I have also used to record my lectures and to record my game plays. All these features are available in OBS for free. As for the me it is the best recording tool out there.

Pros

OBS is a great tool for streamers, because it can stream directly to Youtube. Gamers for example can play, record and stream with the app to Youtube. It is also free and has all features that a professional streamer needs. It is very flexible and easy to use.

Cons

The add-on management needs a bit of improvement

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

In the free version, Bandicam puts a watermark on your videos which I did not like.

Loucas

Industry: Music

May 2022

Live streaming and video recording easy and free!

Perfect! I love it!

Pros

I first used OBS Studio when we had the first lockdown for covid. I used it for live streaming my music so i can keep my communication with the fans. It is the best by far! You can download it free and give it a try! I recommend it 100%.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say, it is the best by far!

Reasons for switching to OBS Studio

Wirecast doesn't capture the sound as clean as the OBS Studio

OBS Studio