• Pros

• "Easy to use and not very complicated to set up."

• "I liked how everything in this program was very easy and straightforward, giving anyone the ability to start streaming or recording video from the display within minutes of use and experience. "

• "So many features, it also integrates beautifully into any game or thing I want to stream."

• Cons

• "As configurações poderiam ser um pouco mais fáceis, mas está bastante acessivel."

• "It is a little hard to learn how to use (not very user friendly at first) but after a while you get use to it and are able to find everything you want after about a month of being really lost. "

• "If you have little or no technical knowledge, you may require some help to get started as it can be a little confusing. This, however, is true of most streaming software."

Browse OBS Studio Reviews

Ian from Ryde School with Upper Chine

Fantastic software for streaming

As someone that has used OBS for many years, it is amazing to see how far it has come. With support for multiple streaming services, plus local recording (which we often use for creating user tutorials), it has been an amazing tool to use for streaming educational/informative content for work. With multiple scenes and sources setup and bound to keyboard shortcuts, I can quickly switch between them to ensure the viewer sees exactly what I need them to.

Pros

Incredible number of features Easy to setup and use Support for many different streaming services No costs involved

Reasons for Choosing OBS Studio

XSplit offered very little extra in content, but cost significantly more.

Giovanna from Self employed

Reliable tool for recording and streaming!

I have used OBS to successfully stream video gameplay with minimal to no latency or problems. I have also used OBS to record tutorials on how to use different software for work-related projects. Overall, it provided me with exactly what I was looking for.

Pros

I downloaded OBS some years back when streaming was starting to kick off. I considered a handful of different streaming programs, but I keep coming back to this one. OBS works great because it is lightweight and powerful. It doesn't take up a lot of memory space, doesn't create lag or latency and the screen recording delay is minimal. If you are playing a game and streaming, it doesn't slow your FPS (frames per second) rate, and it works great with any decent computer set up out there. If you can run any of the popular games out there, you can run OBS. It works great with Twitch, and it being open sourced means it is a budding streamer's best friend. Simple tools let you manage your screen recordings along with sound, screen transitions, and a captioning option; while providing extra tools that help streamline your projects. With a tool kit that is practical and easy to understand, OBS excels at providing just what you want for your screen recording and streaming needs.

Cons

OBS isn't tailored to any specific use or website. It focuses on general use for streaming and/or screen recording. For this reason, it lacks some of the flash and bang that other streaming software may be able to provide. Although the tools are easy to understand, it's not as intuitive as other programs and may require a little time to learn, especially if you are not familiar with similar software.

Reasons for Choosing OBS Studio

Overall, OBS is affordable (being open sourced), has great updates, and is lightweight while still giving me both screen recording and streaming tools. I found a few other programs didn't perform well, didn't save in the format or resolution I was looking for. I also experienced problems where the audio fell out of sync with the image. I have never had any of these issues while using OBS, which is why it's been my number one, most reliable choice for several years now.

Christopher from Christopher Hemsworth Art and Design

The only screen recording app you need

I am an artist and designer and have recorded many time lapse videos, as well as art process videos, wherein I record my screen. That is just scratching the surface too, you can take it so much further. Screen in screen, switching on the fly from one screen to another for live broadcasting, custom overlays and inserts, the list goes on and on! This software is free and incredible. I cannot recommend it enough!

Pros

OBS Studio is amazing. First of all it's FREE. But quite honestly it is my go-to for screen recording over my built-in Quicktime screen recorder (on Mac) because of the versatility, quality control, ability to customize, and so many more features.

Cons

It can be complicated at first, but there are plenty of online tutorials and guides to get you up and running quickly.

Reasons for Choosing OBS Studio

Honestly PRICE was a huge motivator, but unlike other situations, OBS wasn't stripped down and just a basic free app, it was just as robust as you could have hoped for with a paid app. Plus there is a huge devoted community to OBS as well.

Jason from Fellowship Bible Church

Industry: Music

Free and relatively painless

Overall, I have found this program to be dependable. It runs every week, and I have not had to troubleshoot anything in the program in over a YEAR. That alone is commendable for a program that I run on a weekly basis. I run apple products that need more hands-on management than this program. The interface is not as sleek, but it gets the job done. Give me a little more control over audio and video syncing, and some transition effects, and I would be slamming the #5 stars across the board.

Pros

IT IS FREE. May all of my complains and frustrations with this software be safely tucked under the umbrella of a customer who is pleased at the end of the day with a product that is reliable and costs him nothing. That is a miracle and I believe that it is getting easier and easier to use. I love the fact that once I have everything set up in the back end of the program, I can get going with one click. I use this program to record and live-stream our Sunday morning services at Church. On the off-chance that the wifi goes down or something, the ability to continue recording to an external drive has saved us on more than one occasion. It handles the basics such as screen sharing, adding logos, and even some basic audio input options very well. Overall, I am extremely pleased and it made the ability to live-stream in a church of 200 people affordable and attainable.

Cons

Set-up was a long process of educating myself with very little reward and no long-term application for the knowledge that I gained. There seems to be certain settings that you need to select for different types of streaming. Having to wade through numerous youtube videos in order to find what I needed specifically, was not fun. I would love for this software to develop presets for different purposes. Most all gamers tend to used the same presets with some variation depending on their individual internet speeds. Why not have a preset for gamers and another preset for bloggers, or live-streamers? I don't think it would take much and with a few basic questions, the program could do a lot of the heavy lifting that makes the back end of OBS a pain to work with. Additionally the interface, while more intuitive than most open-source programs, does leave something to be desired. I often have to click through all of the setting options in order to find specific settings that need adjustment. Also, I have been running into issues with syncing external audio with the video during live streaming. The video buffer seems to be inconsistent, so the audio and video will start out synced and randomly get out of wack.

Reasons for Choosing OBS Studio

Price and or internal features offered

Michael from Prayer Pursuits

OBS - The best way to stream or record for YouTube

OBS has allowed our organization to enter the video streaming and recording arena. In a day where face-to-face interaction is limited by the government due to the COVID-19 pandemic, video interaction has become so important. OBS provides an easy accessible way to develop effective video communication.

Pros

The flexibility of the software along with the great community of users who put together instructional and how-to videos

Cons

Not much in software help. It was difficult to find the necessary technical help within the software. I spent much time online and found many support avenues which made using OBS easy. It would have been nice to have that same level of information available from within the software.

Reasons for Choosing OBS Studio

More powerful, ease of use, better support community.

Rolando from mixer

The best Free and Only Broadcasting software

i love it, its free, offers more than paid software, lots of tutorials everywhere to use it and it uses the least resources from software i used

Pros

Its free!!! so many forum post and youtube videos to learn how to use it the most popular application does everything paid applications like xsplit do auto configuration wizard for easy set up scans your system and internet and bases it on that plug ins/add ons you can find on the web are easily install able

Cons

nothing, there is nothing to dislike about free software that works and does more than paid programs like xsplit and action.

Great Software for livestreaming

I'v had a great time streaming with OBS it also is great for Remuxing Videos in MKV formats to MPV

Pros

OBS Is %100 free unlike most of its competitors and its basically has held the monopoly on my studio as the best easy to use software.

Cons

its brother application Streamlabs OBS has Auto-Updates that are sometimes not Better for the program.

Matthew from Twitch

Industry: Broadcast Media

A great and easy way to record or live stream

With OBS I am able to do my live streams to all my friends and family and reach out to new people.

Pros

Easy to use and not very complicated to set up.

Cons

It can be slow and stream quality can be low and drop out depending on your internet connection.

Bryce from Freelancer

OBS Studio Overall

Pros

It's functionality and features are great for streaming and videos. Makes streams look amazingly better!

Cons

Slows down computer a lot and makes streaming from my laptop harder.

Shane from Hager Media

Sincere OBS Review of 30 years as a gamer

The problem i solved is i finally found a perfect screen capture that is totally free with a deep learning curve.

Pros

OBS is absolutely is the best Free screen capture software. It will allow several ways to import different screens. In my opinion its AMAZING and free. Also the integration with software like face rig, facebook and twitch is amazing as well!

Cons

The Cons as far as user friendly is lacking. All tho as a gaming software veteran it was hard to figure out but after several trips to youtube I finally figured it out. They need to build a video tutorial integrated system.

Reasons for Choosing OBS Studio

OBS was the most popular at the time for my streaming and integration with Facebook, facerig, youtube and twitch. I latter than use it as a perfect screen capture.

Kai from Planet Dolan

Industry: Animation

An argument for open source software

OBS is the best option for streaming I have used. Any time a website uses its own propriatary streaming software, or an integrated browser extension, I seek out a way to use my favorite settings on obs. Although it is not perfect, most of the issues I've had do have workarounds, mostly on the OBS forums. Overall, I would enjoy easier integration of twitch alerts, and custom animations, but it is still my platform of choice.

Pros

OBS has the widest support for plugins, features and formats to source into a single scene. Coupled with it's grouping feature, it is simple to create scenes that are professional, and high quality. It is also compatible with most any streaming platform, with customizable features, and profile management making the jump between platforms straightforward and easy. Not to mention the integration with the elgato stream deck is amazing, and has allowed me to use OBS in ways it was not originally intended (cue'd premade video assets for a live show)

Cons

Sometimes the software has issues, many of which are resolved by restarting the software, but in particular, no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to fully eliminate the CPU overload error. I was having problems with it until a recent re configuring of my desktop PC, but during the issue, I had to rely almost completely on console games captured through the elgato capture card, rather than force modern games to share cpu/gpu with OBS. As mentioned, this has since been mostly resolved, but optimising the program/changing the settings as per the recommended fixes was not as effective as simply altering the host computer. On occasion, a scene I have recently built will become inaccessible and crash obs, leaving me to recreate it under a new name.

Casey from blues

Best streaming software on the market

At the time I switched over to OBS, I was using the now defunct "Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder" (a mouthful). OBS was a massive improvement over existing streaming applications for a multitude of reasons. FMLE was showing it's age (and lack of support). XSplit was a heavyweight when it came to hardware requirements. And other software on the market was obscure and occupied the same space as XSplit.. only XSplit did it better. And then came OBS. Free, lightweight, open source. It was fantastic. I've never used another streaming app since.

Pros

Well for one, obviously the price tag- can't go wrong with free. But not only is it free, it's lightweight and simple. I've taught many people how to stream using OBS.

Cons

The interface can be a bit of a pain to use. It's a little too simple in my opinion. Some more functionality baked into the main UI could go a long way. This is mostly solved with the "Streamlabs OBS" version, which is built on top of OBS. Honestly it's been a while since I had to use the profile functionality, but admittedly it was a bit lacking when I did have to use it.

John from Johnbie Crawl Thrus

OBS is great for streaming and recording!

Overall, using OBS has been a really good experience. Once you begin to learn the ropes and get an understanding of what the terms mean and the ways that they can affect streams and recordings, it becomes a very valuable tool for content creation that streamlines a lot of the finer details of a streaming and recording setup and allows one to focus on making content.

Pros

OBS is software that really helped to make my streams and recordings really simple to manage. I stream and record most of my gameplay from Xbox One and with OBS I am able to use a simple set up to add personality and flair to my streams. I can also integrate OBS into my operation to stream to places such as YouTube, FaceBook, and Twitch using overlays which aren't provided natively by the Xbox One console which really helps one to stand out amongst other streamers. Set up is relatively easy because the OBS software has features that can detect what you have available and set itself up based on the specifications that it detects. When it comes to recording, using the capture software allows me to add overlays and things such as watermarks to content as it records as well as set up audio options such as microphones and the levels of audio that it records. Getting help is quite simple since there are many forums and other ways to find information and tips online as well as turotials provided by the developers themselves.

Cons

What I liked the least about this software was probably trying to understand what some of the options would do once I began to explore the program and options that it offers. Being new to streaming at the time, it was more or less a problem not having a good understanding of how to set things up overall. Once I spent some time browsing forums and the other sources of help regarding OBS, I found that it was pretty easy to understand how to adjust things as I needed to.

Reasons for Choosing OBS Studio

At the time that I chose OBS, I was using an outdated laptop. While searching for a solution to fit my needs, I had come across quite a few people that recommended OBS since it didn't require much to run. Once I downloaded and found out that it would work on my old laptop just fine, I kept using it.

Andrei from JeFawk Games

Industry: Computer Games

The best free recording and streaming software but not without problems.

OBS saved us money from buying a paid software for recording and streaming. The community providing tutorials is quite big so it was kinda easy to get into using the program. It may be a bit more complex than other programs but that's also a con and a pro. As long as you know that some applications won't get recognized and you'll have to use a display capture you're good using OBS (some programs from the competition have the same issues) This might sound weird and impossible but it would be great if they had a way to not film the OBS frame using a display capture for people with only 1 screen.

Pros

OBS Studio is a great free application for recording and streaming. The best thing about OBS is the amount of customizations, settings, and options you have along with the plugins. This can also be a problem however (read more in Cons). A great improvement to OBS is that for a few updates now it has Twitch UI integration where you can setup your stream info and talk to people on their chat. There are a lot of recording/streaming options and the studio part provides great tools for long streams where you must also act as the director moving from one camera to another, adding transition effects, moving text, etc. The amount of plugins available makes integrating with Twitch, Youtube, etc work really well especially if you're getting donations.

Cons

My biggest problem with OBS is that certain games are not recognized so the only thing to do is to use the display capture. This is quite an issue since not all streamers know of this and as a game developer myself I can see how this could hinder some people from streaming/recording our products. Another con would be that there is no basic mode to set things up, even though they have an Advanced tab in the settings, the "basic" settings are still quite advanced.

Zachery from N.Y.S.

Industry: Law Enforcement

Streaming made easy

Positive, I have been a streamer since Starcraft 2 came out and will continue to be one into many more games. This software is amazing for being free.

Pros

For a free product this is what I use to stream. I like that it is pretty simple to use, easy walkthroughs, it's pretty much click, click ready. But the best feature has got to be how easy it is to make each layer overtop of the other. My stream has 6 layers Game,Webcam,greenscreen, followers screen,donation screen, and gamer tag. Each super easy to set up and super easy to maintain.

Cons

I don't like that it is very demanding on your pc when you start running everything through it, but then again it is a streaming software, and free so who am I to complain.

Tyler from Meridix

Powerful, free encoder that anyone can use

This is by far the best free streaming software out there. Works will nearly all hardware and streaming platforms. Needs hardware with a lot of CPU (or GPU) but works well when it gets them.

Pros

OBS is an incredibly powerful live streaming (and recording) x264 encoder software with a feature set that rivals some of the biggest names in the space - but all open source, and completely free. The breadth of production capabilities is impressive, including overlays, source/camera switching, source mixing, media file playback, and much more. OBS also has direct integrations with many popular hardware devices and streaming platforms, making setup quick and easy.

Cons

Occasionally we have found performance to be an issue, where even on the heftiest hardware the encoding process will still max out resources or drop frames. In addition, it can sometimes be difficult to find certain settings and features (intuitiveness), but this is also rare. Better formal documentation would be helpful, though usually asking a question in the forums will bring a helpful answer.

Open source, price

Jessica from Little Apron Academy

"Okay'' For what it Does

Overall, despite my recent comments, I DO recommend this to other Streamers or content creators. And I know many others that do, too. The program really has enough of a following and dedicated creators that want to keep working with and through problems. The Discord Chat provided and the aid of other content creators has me coming back, working constantly WITH OBS despite its flaws, and looking forward to further improvement. Keep it up! You are doing alright, Team!

Pros

I actually enjoy using this program! Sometimes it can get buggy after an update or freezes up when about to use it. But the customer service availability is good, so I feel pretty well supported and put in the right direction if I need help or advice. I use this to Stream on a regular basis for charity, and it's gotten the job done. Sometimes not perfectly, but usually rather tolerable.

Cons

Updates can set stream time back at time and it can be tricky to backtrack. So, the unpredictability in that regard can be frustrating.

Stefan from Gimnazija i ekonomska skola "Jovan Jovanovic Zmaj"

OBS/Review

I use this app when playing games to show my friends, sometimes I turn on stream mode when I feel a little lonely in the game or when I am having a little fun.

Pros

The program is easy to use, once you have completed the required settings that fit your computer's parameters, it remains to select the broadcast source and broadcast source and then start the process. There is no limit to adding videos and other elements, and it is possible to save a local file to your computer during the stream. The program allows you to select a full-screen mode or a specific area, and you can further control the process by using hot keys, which is very convenient and saves time. Pre-installed popular streaming platforms, including Twitch, are available in OBS settings, but you can manually add addresses and make other changes. Audio is recorded from the microphone and the internal channel of the computer, and it is possible to adjust the volume, for example, to add another background sound.

Cons

The disadvantage of the program is the inability to broadcast simultaneously with several resources and incompatibilities with legacy operating systems (Windows XP), as a result of increased functionality, increased power of the computer, but owners of old computers can help the classic version of the software.

Streaming for the masses

I use OBS as a recording and streaming for personal, freelance work, and volunteer work.

Pros

OBS is an extremely capable piece of broadcasting software capable of anything from basic recordings to broadcasting on platforms such as Twitch.tv, YouTube, Facebook, or even to a custom streaming server. Configuring OBS is very easy for beginners, with many basic configuration options and even a setup wizard to help you get stream settings configured in minutes. However, if you are an advanced user, there are many options for setting up recording, ingest settings, audio, and hotkeys. Because of the wide range of configuration available in OBS, anything from basic screen capture to professional-level broadcasting using multiple scenes, video sources, and effects are possible. Because of the popularity of OBS, there exists an abundant supply of tutorials, guides, and user support that will help resolve any issues you may encounter when configuring and using OBS.

Cons

OBS is still currently being developed, so there may be some features that are not implemented or minor bugs. Because of these issues, OBS may not be the best tool for critical applications compared to similar, paid programs. Additionally, the open source nature of the product means that there is not an official support channel to go to for proper, professional assistance.

Michelle from EchostarMedia

Anyone Can Become A Broadcaster

I am relatively new to live streaming - I didn't even know something as sophisticated as OBS could be obtained for free! It's not necessarily newbie-friendly. You are expected to kind of know what you're doing or at least go read up on the processes. There is a ton of support in the way of user groups, online tutorials, mountains of user-created videos explaining how things work, and there are lots of add-ons and some pretty cool forks of the project as well (a fork is a branch off from the original open source program that's being developed in a slightly different direction). I play in a band and we recently began live streaming one show a month and OBS has been instrumental in this project.

Pros

Open source and still free, supported by 3rd parties, lots of great informational and instructional videos on YouTube because this software enables anyone to create online broadcasts, so yeah, they're gonna be on YouTube, lots of integrated extras, runs on some less robust computers.

Cons

The only problem I have experienced that wasn't user error or learning-curve related is that I own more than one Chinese import action cam and OBS identifies them both as by the same name (because they have the same internal components) and if the software, or the cameras, or the computer gets turned off and back on (power outage, cable comes loose, you take a break and Windows updates and reboots your computer while you're asleep) OBS cannot re-identify these cameras reliably and often gets them mixed up. It is possible that the computer identifier for these cameras is where the lack of distinction comes from, but it's annoying enough that I have since gone to using only one hardwired camera and everything else is IP cam to eliminate this problem of constantly having to guess which iteration of "UVC Camera" is cam 1.

Sean from Twitch Streamer

The go-to for broadcast management!

I stream on Twitch.tv as a side-gig and OBS is my go-to program. Its easy to use and free. Managing subscribers can seem like an overwhelming task for someone new to the business/hobby but with OBS its simple and free.

Pros

- OBS is an extremely easy to use program, very intuitive. - OBS makes managing subscribers and donations easy and simple - Being a free program, you cant beat that. - There are loads of tutorials online where you can learn some very cool things.

Cons

- When first managing your subscriptions it can seem overwhelming but that is just a fleeting feeling that soon fades with experience.

Reasons for Choosing OBS Studio

There was a plethora of easy to follow tutorials online and after watching just a couple I had the confidence to handle my subscriptions easily.

Stefano from Applause

The best tool for recording your screen

I use OBS almost on a daily basis for work, and even more often for personal purposes. At first I had some trouble setting it up, but after a few minutes it's really straightforward. I can now record my entire screen in its original resolutions, with no watermarks, completely for free. Honestly

Pros

The product is completely free, with no limitations. You can immediately start recording from multiple sources at once, with a fairly nice amount of customization in terms of the options you have. File formats, encoding, streaming, and so on. You can also create your own shortcuts to start streaming/recording. More functionalities are also available for users who need more control.

Cons

Shortcut seem not to always work on the first hit, and some users might find it difficult to use the more advanced functions. Sometimes records a blank screen when trying to record over videogames or other programs running in borderless fullscreen.

Jenna from Graphic Designer

Industry: Graphic Design

Great For First-Time Streamers, Okay For Veteran Streamers

I've used OBS for the past several years, and while it's a great piece of software that helps you stream on Twitch and YouTube, it does have some pretty big flaws. One being if you don't have an up-to-date, in other words "newer", computer that can handle this software eating up your memory/RAM while streaming, be prepared for any possible computer crashes that will potentially happen. I've since moved on to software named "Streamlabs OBS", which is still technically OBS but I found it didn't crash my computer as often. For what reason, I have no clue. But just to be safe, I won't be using regular OBS on my new computer just yet.

Pros

OBS has great streaming quality and a fairly easy set-up when it comes to the layout of your streams. Layering webcams, backgrounds/borders (if any), images, and notifications to name a few! It makes you feel very at home and eased into streaming, especially if you've never streamed before and are a little overwhelmed at what the process might entail.

Cons

My biggest gripe with this is is that it's not good for older computers. On an older computer that may still run Windows 7 (unless you did the upgrade, but it will still have this problem), OBS takes up so much memory/RAM to the point where if you have anything else running at the same time, it's only a matter of time before your system crashes and restarts. A system more updated in the past few years, or even just a gaming computer system will give you a better and smoother stream, but most people can't afford this kind of luxury. It's disappointing to say the least, but for someone like me that does like to stream, it was worth the money to upgrade to a newer system and start to do more streams.

Alex from Arizona College of Nursing

Twitch affiliate OBS review

Overall, OBS is a fantastic product that I recommend to anyone wishing to stream on PC. They have plenty of features and options to choose from. The broadcasting is great, and I will continue to use and recommend this product.

Pros

I love that OBS allows me to stream on twitch.tv. However I also love that OBS allows me to twitch on other platforms if I decide to leave twitch as well. I enjoy using the many features of OBS including the "Live" function as well as the "Record" function. This means while livestreaming I can also record for use of the footage later. The computer options for OBS are plentiful too. You can set your overall settings to either use more CPU or less, depending on the quality that you want to stream. Overall, for being a free software, I would highly recommend OBS for anyone trying to get into PC streaming.

Cons

OBS has its occasional crashes. These crashes don't often produce an error report and especially during the middle of a stream/recording can be a hassle. Another downfall to OBS is that sometimes it is the cause behind server to broadcaster communication meaning that your stream will go down simply because OBS is communicating with the platform correctly.

Thomas from Beths Grammar School

Free High Quality Recording Software [NO WATERMARK]

I use OBS as it is really useful. It has excellent audio filters to solve background noise issues during recording. I can record at high resolution and fps.

Pros

FREE Software with no annoying watermark. Good Scene Customisability. Great for streaming and recording. Works with Nvidia and AMD GPU encoders. Great performance recording software.

Cons

Cannot record high quality on bad PCs. Some settings require online tutorials to understand.

Blake from Sheridan College

A Streamers Dream!!!!

I was using it for streaming, and let me have a great experience. I will not switch to any other program for a long time.

Pros

Open Broadcast Software has allowed me to stream from my computer to people on twitch. It is a lightweight application that allows the user to record, stream, store and so much more. It is very easy to use and if you are looking to stream, would highly recommend it! You can stream in great quality, depending on your internet. Set up multiple scenes for easy transitioning and change the window you are capturing by 2 clicks. Streamlabs has built a more streamlined version of this as well, which makes streaming even easier.

Cons

It can be tricky figuring out how to use some of the features but a simple google search is more than enough.

MICHAEL from Twitch.tv/rednekedgamer

OBS The streamer's friend

I started using OBS in 2015. Live streaming required a broadcasting software solution, and I chose OBS because it was FREE. I have friends who use a competitor to OBS. OBS has the ability to totally customize your stream settings. You can mute and unmute your microphone(incase of a sneeze), you can turn on and off your webcam feed. When you are customizing your stream's layout and look, OBS makes it easier with a live preview window. OBS is the best FREE option on the market for internet based broadcasting.

Pros

The thing I like the most about OBS besides the fact that it operates as intended, is that it is absolutely FREE.

Cons

OBS's user interface is not as friendly to use for the beginner, but with the wealth spring of knowledge on the Internet, driven by the fact the it is FREE, you can learn how to achieve your desired action or effect.

Gian Angelo from Freelance

All-In-One Solution For Screen Capture

I really loved OBS especially because it's pretty much free and includes almost all the services you need. If you're casting online for a course or a conference or even for your gaming, OBS is one gigantic software that deserve a top spot for those who need screen capture software.

Pros

Making a course? Doing a podcast? Making a video resume? Streaming your game? OBS can do it all and with a little setup, you can make it look great. There are unlimited ways for you to mix and match what you want to appear in your stream and at the same time, it can also be used as a regular video screen capture software. It's a small but effective way to record or cast your computer screen (or with some tinkering, your console!) online or on-video. I've been using it for a long time for my personal projects and OBS has never let me down yet.

Cons

To make the most out of this software, you really have to study the features it provides. There's a steep learning curve for those who are not tech savvy however, once you learn everything there is to learn, it gets easy and efficient.

Reasons for Choosing OBS Studio

OBS was free however, because of the sheer volume of quality it brings, you really can't help but contribute to the cause. Overall though, OBS was pretty good to use for my needs and probably others' as well. There's a lot of functionality for this software and it's amazing to use when you get the hang of it.

Charles from PixelBite

Best Streaming Service

My experience with OBS has been fantastic. They're actively updating their program and their support has responded to be within a reasonable time.

Pros

There is so much to love about this software. OBS offers so much versatility. You can switch from advanced and basic settings so you can completely customize your experience. I have used OBS and OBS multi-studio for over 4 years. Both programs are fantastic. The best thing about this is that you can stream, record and even do both at the same time.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that this program requires you to know a good amount about how streaming works in order to get the absolute best settings. Even with that said, it shouldn't deter anyone from giving this program a chance.

Leroy from The 1nteger TV

Industry: Broadcast Media

The standard in recording / streaming software.

OBS is the software I use to create recorded and live stream gameplay commentary videos on a regular basis (something like over 250+ videos now spanning from 3-4hrs per video average). So pretty awesome reliable free software.

Pros

*It's open source which means free unless you can and want to support financially or get premium support (or support full-stop, not sure if that's a thing with OBS). *Does everything all the other free or paid options do (that matters anyway). *Very reliable overall. *Pretty flexible and getting a few important updates of late.

Cons

*Might still be a little difficult for some people compared to others. *Open source software can sometimes take longer on average to have major updates / features. *Still pretty easy to crash if you do certain actions too quickly but thus generally easily to avoid although you can get nervous switching scene collections mid stream for instance.

My go-to choice for live streaming

Pros

The general usability of the software overall, especially when paired with StreamElements.

Cons

Rare crashes, settings reverting, and some minor complaints about the user interface sometimes being a little finicky when trying to set it up just right. The biggest issue I've had with OBS is it has a habit of crashing when I'm switching scenes via Studio Mode.

Fantastic Screen Capture Tool

I've used OBS in the past to create presentations/tutorials for teams as well as streaming for a simple screen-share solution with other developers. The combined simplicity of the interface, ease with which to setup a scene as well as switch between scenes for different elements of presentations has been invaluable.

Pros

Literally the best feature of OBS is "free", but as far as features and functionality goes, even if it were paid it'd likely be one of the best tools available for straight forward screen capture and broadcasting. My favorite features are the scene management and sources tools, switching between shots and sources, as well as interfaces and transitions, it's incredibly flexible and invaluable, especially if you're either streaming or recording instructing or giving a presentation.

Cons

Help documentation could be more robust, though with a low-moderate knowledge of encoding it's really straight forward. May have too many features for some, explaining to someone unfamiliar with elements of encoding or the interface can be challenging.

Austin from AustinChallenges

I love using OBS, and here's why..

I have loved my experience with OBS, I use it every day to record my videos for youtube, and i will always use it!

Pros

OBS is a great way to record and stream your gameplay or just capture your screen. Some pros about OBS is the fact that its free, you can't go wrong with something that's this good, and free. It works great and has a lot of features!

Cons

Some cons about OBS, is the fact that you have to configure the settings to your liking, and for some people that could be difficult.

ANTHONY from Mobile DJ by DJ Tony Tone

OBS Streaming is the best

I truly love the experience that I have had with OBS and I tell all my fellow DJ friends to use this software for streaming. Especially right now with the quarantine.

Pros

I love this software because not only is it free but it links to multiple platforms that provide live-streaming capabilities and video chatting/conferencing. I love it because for me being a DJ, I am able to stream live from anywhere without having any other apps that I would need to download.

Cons

I don't have anything that I don't like about it except for one thing...wish that I would of found this software earlier when I first started streaming live as a DJ.

Don from First United Methodist Church of Hico

Complete live video studio for streaming

Again, amazing versatility for producing a professional looking video stream online. A huge blessing to a small organization competing with the big boys. We use it on an Imac that is running other applications at the same time with no problems.

Pros

This software is absolutely amazing. It provides everything needed to produce professional looking live video stream productions and more. The ability to use multiple live video cameras, recorded media, graphics, transitions, effect and presets all in once package that is user friendly and... best part, Open Source. We use it every week in a small church to stream live services to Facebook live. Once some settings are established by someone with experience, it becomes very easy for anyone to operate. Plus it records everything this is streamed if you chose, a life saver at times.

Cons

Setting up the various sources and scenes is a little difficult at first. Occasionally it seems to lose the code for accessing our stream which requires obtaining a new code from FB and entering which could slow down the beginning of a stream if not tested ahead of time.

Open Source and free!

Tyler from Information Technology and Services

Industry: Computer Games

OBS is great for streaming on PC

I've used OBS on and off for multiple years with streaming. I stream mainly video games but it's been great for other things I've streamed to friends. It's got great features to tie into Twitch, as well as many streaming assistance platforms have plugins for OBS. I've never had any software related issues with it, even with Daily use for around (3) months. It did exactly what I needed it too, and even allowed me to setup a very nice green screen behind me for better quality streaming with ease.

Pros

- Easy to use once you understand it - Tons of guides online - Awesome plugins to popular streaming platforms

Cons

- Looks a bit dated - Can be confusing with layers / layouts if you don't look up guides

kristopher from Twitch.tv

my personal thoughts

Very satisfied and quite happy about using it only thing I hope is a full cloud customization saves for when the app needs to be reinstalled

Pros

Best streaming software out there most reliable when it deals with twitch and youtube streaming platforms I love that you have plenty of totorial videos on your website in order to help new streamers start up work as well as observing studio is amazing for customization and you have quite a few widgets to

Cons

Sometimes the software crashes and you have to reinstall everything and redo most of your settings again.

Reasons for Choosing OBS Studio

Obs is better all there is to it

Rose from Massage By Rose

Industry: Cosmetics

OBS is wonderful

OBS is wonderful. My husband and i both use it and we cant be happier. Its so easy to use and gives use the ease to stream and do podcasts. Sometimes obs can act up depending on the update they do, but once they fix it, usually within 24-48 hours, its back to normal. I highly recommend obs software for all your streaming and broadcasting needs.

Pros

I like obs because it gives you the ease of wanting to broadcast or stream without to much of a hassle.

Cons

Every once in a while when obs has a software update, it does tend to have a couple of bugs from not working to stuttering for streaming. Other than that, there is nothing else i dislike about obs.

Edgar from Apple Federal Credit Union

Feature Packed

Overall OBS has been great, it does what i want it to do, whether it be streaming or recording. It does it all!!!

Pros

Let's start off by saying that this software is FREE, while the saying "You get what you pay for" is a valid statement, i think OBS is feature rich for the cost of 0$. You can link up all the different streaming platforms and customize the streaming, recording settings based on what you want. I was actually very surprised how in depth this software was for being freeware.

Cons

No complaints on my end, i haven't run into any issues with it lately, i am a happy user!

Travis from Babson College

Simple and straight forward for more advanced streaming

Great overall experience. I use this time and time again and have had no issues versus any paid-for program!

Pros

I used to use one of Adobe's products, but when support for that got dropped, I had to find something easy to use and inexpensive. OBS fit that bill perfectly. It's simple enough to allow me to select my streaming destinations easily, but also allow me to use my professional capture devices. As long as the computer can recognize it, it can be loaded into OBS and used as an input source. I typically use a switcher for my streaming productions, but for times when I had to cue up other multimedia files, I can load those right into OBS and switch to them outside of the switcher easily. Very flexible software! Not having to use an external recorder is a life saver too. I can just select start streaming and start recording and now I have my clean file to work with later if anything happens with the stream. I also like being able to see my stream health right on the screen very clearly as well.

Cons

Not much! I haven't hit any issues with streaming to different sources, and if anything, maybe had some issues with stream health, but that's an internet connection thing and I'm guessing OBS can't work magic and give me unlimited bandwidth.

Joshua from Vizion Interactive

The Standard For Twitch Streaming

Once I got it set as I like it, it's been great. Everytime I stream it's literally "go live" and I'm up and running. I can count on one hand the number of times OBS has crashed during a stream.

Pros

It was pretty quick to get up and running with streaming, this was something I've wanted to do and this was the software that was widely used and after using it I can see why.

Cons

While it was quick to get setup and going at a "basic" level, the more advanced stuff was a little tricky but doable. I wish they had better tutorials on this stuff, such as adding "current song" playing or adding/moving alerts.

Jason from JasonAA

Great application for screen sharing and live streaming

I've been wanting to engage with my social media more through live streams. OBS has allowed me to do these live streams, record them so that I can archive them later, all while allowing me to keep a professional presence on these accounts, and being free. While there is no official customer support, their forums are very active. if you are having a problem, you can get a solution within hours. I was considering XSplit but I didn't want to cough up the monthly fee.

Pros

I like how you can switch between each "scene", each of which can have different layouts, and sources (cameras, text, screens, and the like), and fade or cut between them with different transition times. I also like how easy it is to monitor audio and adjust audio levels from different audio sources.

Cons

RTMP (the protocol used for live streaming content to an online service) is a little finicky on some networks, especially company networks which usually block the ports which RTMP uses. While this isn't a problem with OBS itself, it is not very good at telling you why your stream didn't start, and how you could fix whatever problems you may or may not have.

Desi from The Suksok Company

Industry: Online Media

Streaming at it's best.

OBS is the best if you are new streaming or even a long time veteran. Having different options at the power of your own creativity.

Pros

Everything about this software is amazing. The ability to use different streaming platforms for output, the customization for scene inputs. Getting your stream to the right theme is a big plus.

Cons

At first, it is a hard software to understand. Getting the right output settings based off of your own ISP speeds and computer specifications. Once you figure out that learning curve, you will be streaming in no time.

Tyler from YouTube.com

OBS is the best screen recorder for gaming

I am able to create crisp, professional looking videos at the low, low price of zero. I also really enjoy learning new features that I can perform with it, which I do almost every day.

Pros

OBS is free which is great, but there are so many good features about this product that it is impossible to list here. What I really love about OBS though is the level of control that it gives you over your gaming videos. You can screen record, while also recording yourself giving a walk through of the game, it looks amazing, and there is no watermark like there is in some "freeware."

Cons

OBS is INCREDIBLY difficult to master. Thankfully there are tons of Youtube videos that give you incredibly detailed instructions.

Thomas from Vitilia Group

OBS : The basic Software for 101 Broadcasting

OBS was the go to software at the beginning, it’s more used as a NDI Server now, but at the beginning of our channel, we used that software, and we were truly happy with it

Pros

This software can do all you want (unless you might wanted to use it as a tricaster) for Gaming, Chatting and all things you want on Twitch, Facebook Live, YouTube Live and all other RTMP live feed

Cons

You cannot use it for TV Broadcast or News Broadcast, because of the lack of preview on the software, but you might consider adding plugins (the CPU charge might increase)

OBS makes streaming so easy

OBS is a fantastic streaming software basically every streamer uses this software.

Pros

There’s a lot of things I like this software for. First you have so much options to make the best stream for your liking and for you fans. Second you can record and stream at the same time which makes it easy for turning a stream into a possible video. Lastly you can have transitions and as much effects as you like.

Cons

I don’t really have anything I don’t like about this software it’s just a perfect software for what I’m doing.

Joseph from Freelance

Industry: Animation

Fairly simple and powerful tools for improving your stream/video's production value

So far I've used OBS to record instructional videos for some clients and friends, and have also tried out streaming animation work and some games. It's a good simple tool for my uses.

Pros

OBS takes what seems like a daunting and difficult process and makes it simple and straightforward. Setting yourself up to stream on platforms like Twitch and/or record video for Youtube takes a few minutes. For someone like me who knows very little about the finer details of video and streaming, this is great. The ability to create different presets for your streaming and capture is also fantastic, so you can easily switch between "starting soon" graphics, your game or software, full-screen face shots, etc. It has ample tools to set yourself up for a successful stream without hassle.

Cons

The OBS interface isn't as intuitive as it could be - as easy as it is to get started, it's not really a "pickup and play" kind of software. I've had trouble getting certain functions to work, particularly in organizing additional elements in a scene, and also selecting my audio source.

William from The GeeksFTW!

OBS is the #1 streaming software

I am able to produce, record and even stream content to followers of my site and it is the best solution out there.

Pros

The software is free and works as well as any paid alternatives. It has a variety of features including adding overlays, chroma key for green screen, alerts, and many more.

Cons

It can get a little confusing when trying to do complex scenes in the software.

Reasons for Choosing OBS Studio

It is free and has better features.

Ronald from Myron Manufacturing

Best video capture software for newbies

Very useful and easy to use. We only found one framerate issue but I'm pretty sure the solution is on the web. Besides that, it's really lightweight, the results are visible inmediatly after the recording is stopped and generates easy to share file formats. The included volume options for mic and desktop audio are all I normally need.

Pros

I didn't need much: record videos for myself and the team of very specific processes. Setting up the app was extremely easy. I loved how the app is very lightway and doesn't take any additional time to process the file: you can see it as soon as you press "stop recording". You're given a lot of audio and video options , as well as the fantastic ability to record the desktop audio which was exactly what I needed. If you eventually need to go beyond that you have filters, multiple input, etc. Only tried once broadcasting in youtube and it was really easy to setup because the interface is really easy and self explainatory.

Cons

I noticed an issue when trying to record footage for a very light videogame we're making that even when the game was running fine, the frame was apparently very very low in the resulting video. Never tried again because it wasn't fully necessary to solve. I really miss not having suggestions from the app itself about how to improve the recording quality specially with some software that is very popular to use (like main game engine editors).

Joshua from Joshua Buckles Media

Great Streaming Tool For Those Needing A Free Alternative

OBS is a great tool for us since we only needed a very basic streaming platform to go to Facebook Live. We are not using OBS to it's fullest extent, and only use one external source for video and audio. However, the great thing is that it easily and simply does what we need without any problems. After initial setup, it's basically a launch and go program every time you need to use it from there on.

Pros

It's very streamlined and easy to use once everything is up and running. Menus are simple to navigate, and there are many sources online to help you get started. It has the functionality of many higher priced streaming softwares, but in a free package. There are endless numbers of possibilities with the software, from desktop capture, to window capture, and the ability to input external sources with proper equipment.

Cons

This software is absolutely free, but it does take some knowledge of basic streaming in order to get things working properly. You have to be able to have a thorough plan in place and knowledge of your system before use, especially if you are planning on using external sources, like ingesting a multi-cam stream from a switcher. There's also no functionality to allow for streaming to multiple sources at once.