• Pros

• "It is so easy and works so well. I have had a computer crash and was thankfully already using Carbonite. It was so simple to load everything on the new computer. It is absolutely worth the money."

• "Price and easy to configure. Customer support was very courteous and professional "

• "Unbeatable for the price, especially for the Home user. Easy to set up and runs on its own. Couldn't be simpler."

• Cons

• "Not really con but depending on amount of data, syncing it up and recovery can take sometime to complete."

• "I've never been a fan of monthly subscriptions. I would rather buy the product and purchase additional storage if needed. Other than that it is a great product."

• "As with any automatic software, it is a good idea to check weekly to see if it really is doing what it is supposed to. There is an occasional glitch."

Browse Carbonite Reviews

Andrew from KnightRiley Strategic Marketing

Makes for very easy regualr backups

Very good. We trialled a few different options but this was the best one.

Pros

Once it is set up properly you don't need to touch it again. If a problem occurs, it gives you a notification and is fixed easy.

Cons

Indicating which files and folders to back up can be a pain. By default, it backs up heaps of things that don't need backing up.

Reasons for Choosing Carbonite

Better pricing and much better support responsiveness.

Felicia from Shifting Tides Chiropractic

Great Customer Support

My employees are not IT people, so when we have a backup problem we get on the phone with Carbonite. They take over the computer and find the problems. It's as simple as that. They are so respectful to my team when there are issues and they have taught us how to do simple problem solving checks that can solve the problem! We are very happy with Carbonite.

Pros

We use Carbonite as our backup program for our computer system. On occasion when our computers update it will change settings on the computer. Carbonite has the ability to let you know via email if it backed up successfully or not. This way we can catch a problem as soon as it arises.

Cons

On occasion there are issues with the computers backing up because of new computer updates. This is solved by alerting us via email when our server does not backup properly.

Michael from Hearthstone Alzheimer Care

Great Peace of Mind, but expensive

this product has provided peace of mind for at least five years. i use it for my business. all my employees have it. this has saved me several times. highly recommended, despite the price.

Pros

I like that this gives peace of mind that all my files will be safe. I like the green dots that show easily which stuff is backed up. also, i like that you can get to your files easily in the cloud as needed.

Cons

the only thing i don't like about the software is the price. this is pretty expensive compared to other options.

Dustin from NAACCR, Inc.

Industry: Research

Reliable Software that provides piece of mind

I really liked it until they implemented the HUGE price increase. Perhaps it was a problem with just that one employee but they definitely need to get better at communicating changes to their customers. I'll be switching to a more cost effective product once our subscription is up.

Pros

Ease of install - It is extremely easy to deploy Carbonite. I have installed it on our Windows 10 workstations as well as our server VMs running Windows Server 2012. Each time the process is quick and simple. I also like the custom updates it provides on backup status. It also lets you customize backup policies for each individual device to optimize utilization.

Cons

They wanted to increase our yearly cost by more than 50% with minimal account upgrades. Our account was set to renew automatically at this increased price with no warning. An account rep reached out to me a 6-8 weeks ahead of our renewal date but wouldn't respond until we were about 2 weeks out. At that time he informed me our price was going up. The strange thing was that under billing it still showed the price we had been paying for the past six years, and showed we would be charged the same amount again on our renewal date. If he hadn't mentioned it on the call they would have charged us the new price without informing us until we received the receipt. I really did not like that their system was showing one price but they planned to spring another on us.

Trevor from Wesleyan Christian Center

An absolute Must

Overall very positive. I will always use an online backup system and carbonite is the best I've ever used.

Pros

After losing all my files on an external hard drive, I switched to Carbonite. It automatically backs up my computer files daily. I can access them online and download them on any computer. If in the event my computer crashes, I can download all my files to my new computer.

Cons

It didn't back up all my videos. Not sure why it may have been my subscription. But I lost several video files.

Monique from COMF

Industry: Government Relations

Worth the Money

Carbonite is definitely worth the money. Yes, it may be a little pricey; however, the cost is relative if you ever need to recover information/data from several PCs.

Pros

We use Carbonite in our office and it is a great program to have. The software runs in the background and doesn't slow your computer down. I also appreciate the friendly reminders of when we're either running out of space or didn't backup a computer during the week.

Cons

Make sure each machine has a specific profile name because the system will get confused. Also, please don't attempt to duplicate machine names (i.e. if your computer is completing an IT replacement) as this also confusing the system.

Kris from St. Michael's Lutheran Church

Carbonite Cloud Backup

It did the job when we switched to new machines but it's not the easiest program from a general user perspective. Designed more for the IT folks at bigger companies.

Pros

Carbonite automatically backs up your entire user files making it easier to transfer between an old or disabled PC and a new machine if you have tech experience.

Cons

Restore option takes a fairly long time and isn't as clear as it could be as to how to restore to the same directories as you had.

Lisha from Bethlehem House Inc.

Assurance of Recent Backups!

Overall, it is a positive experience. Have been really grateful for the recent backups on multiple occasions.

Pros

It works in the background and backs up regularly.

Cons

Sometimes takes all of my processing speed.

Jacob from Davis & Sanchez, PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

Good experience with Home version, poor experience with Business version

I purchased two separate licenses at the same time. One was for my home and another for my business. I have been satisfied with the home version, but ended up cancelling my business license after a year. I just kept getting error after error. Each time I called customer support, they had me uninstall then reinstall the software. It never fixed the problem. Eventually, I gave up calling customer support because they didn't try anything new. I don't really know that the difference is between the two, but I had nothing but trouble with the version installed on my work server. The home version, on the other hand, has worked great. It runs quietly in the background. I gave my parents a license for Christmas one year, and they have enjoyed the piece of mind knowing their files are being backed up.

Pros

The home version works great. I like the ability to access my files remotely from any computer with internet connection.

Cons

When running, this Carbonite slows down my computer a little. However, I understand this is a problem with all cloud based backup storage.

Rene from American Textile & Apparel

Affordable backup solution

Their support and customer service is really good , they answer to you in a good amount of time. I installed the trial version because the pricing seems good for everything they offer. Sadly I run into some issues in the installation process, their support team tried to help but they sent it to different support tiers and I didn't wanted to move forward.

Pros

It's very affordable for all the features they offer on the website. You can backup workstations and servers directly into their cloud servers.

Cons

It didn't work for us. We installed the trial version, it gave some errors on the server side, their support team tried to help and they were just elevating to their next support tier. I didn't wanted to deal with different support people so I decided not to go further.

Use Carbonite if you don't want to risk losing your data on your computer

Pros

I have used Carbonite in the past when I was running a company with 10 employees. One of my worst fears in the world would be having a computer corrupt or damaged and not able to access the files. It is better to be prepared than kick yourself later for not doing it. It was easy to set up carbonite on all of the computer and synced the backup on changes that were made within the computer. You select what folders that carbonite will consistently backup, such as my documents or customer invoices folder etc. The plan did not have any data limits on the amount of data you can backup. Carbonite really saved us when one of the disgruntled employees was trying to maliciously delete important documents and negatively hurt the company. It was about as simple as can be to retrieve the documents that were deleted and so nothing bad happened in result of this individuals actions. I never noticed any computer performance when running this software on a computer. I was surprised because I thought it would affect the computer in a negative way. I would recommend Carbonite for anybody dealing with important documents on a computer that cannot lose the information.

Cons

The least of what I liked about this is probably pricing. I feel like it should be a little lower for a backup system. There are quite a few plans to choose from but think the pricing for all of them should be a little lower. Other than that everything is perfect!

Gregory from USAF

Great Backup software - expensive

I hav ebeen using Carbonite for about 5 years.

Pros

Carbonite was one of the first cloud backup services available. For an annual fee (which can be renewed for up to three years at a time), you can have all your files uploaded to a secure server. All files are encrypted and stored safely until you need them again. Carbonite constantly checks your system for new files and updates the backup as needed. Carbonite also has an option to back up your entire system--not just document files. The best selling point is that your files are encrypted before they leave your system.

Cons

Carbonite is a bit on the expensive side, when you consider that there are less expensive options available for simple (unencrypted) cloud services. Also, restoring a backup from Carbonite can take many days because of the encryption/decryption process. Unless you absolutely need a system backup, use another service for cloud storage.

Dependable service

Have not had to use at work because no problems. However, several years ago at home I did lose my files and it was easy to access and download what I anted. I truly wish they had not increased their annual fee but I am using a freebie. I don't have the money at home to have Sea Gate to backup everything but we do have at work along with Carbonite. However, when the contract expires we will be leaving Carbonite because they charge too much.

Pros

Carbonite works behind the scenes and I have used here at work and at home. You can be confident your files are available if they are lost on your computer

Cons

The increase in the yearly fee. There are other systems that do similar saving like in cloud that are free. You would still need something like Sea Gate to back up the external and that would cost more in Carbonite but it would make more sense paying for. However, Sea Gate is a one time purchase.

Kim from Teed Sales LLC

Peace of Mind

We have used Carbonite for at least 10 years. It has saved us more than once in the case of hard drive failures. It is easy to configure. They now offer multiple plans and help you decide which one will best serve our needs. I gave the features and functionality 4 stars because it occasionally does not connect to their server and it waits 7 days to tell you it hasn't backed up a particular computer. We now are in the habit of checking for backup daily. Compared to other backup methods we have used in the past such as tape drives or rewritable cd's or cassettes, this is far superior. I used to worry about having our data in the cloud, but times are changing, and they have some tough encryption.

Pros

Ease of use. Tough encryption. Competent support staff, real people to talk to.

Cons

The 7-day delay in notification of failure to back-up.

Heather from Erhart Legal, LLC

Reliable

Overall this is a great product for adding another method of backup to your files for a good price.

Pros

I like that this software is very reliable. It is working in the background constantly updating all new files. Not only that, but it doesn't slow down the computer while doing it which is a huge plus in my book. I've had many other software programs slow my computer down and I end up ditching them. If we accidentally delete a file, we can go into Carbonite and recover it.

Cons

A couple downsides to this is that if you do happen to lose your information, it takes a long time to download all of the files back onto your computer. Another downside is that Cabonite does not backup any files that have the symbol ~ in the name. I use this often to put certain commonly used files up at the top of list for quick access.

Carbonite has saved me a couple of times

I needed the ability to back up my laptop to a remote location. I've used Carbonite for probably 10 years. I had two instances where hard drives went bad during my busy season. Thankfully we were using Carbonite on each computer. I was able to get up and running within a day and ever since then, I've used Carbonite. It's a lifesaver and gives me piece of mind knowing that my files are safely backed up.

Pros

It's easy to set up and operates behind the scenes. You don't even know it's running and it backs up your files to the cloud. Super simple to set up and use.

Cons

I don't have any issues with this software. The prices is reasonable, the back up process is simple, and it's a great piece of mind software.

Jessica from Florida Virtual Bookkeeper LLC

Set it and forget it while having peace of mind

I've had them for over 10 years in my personal computer and I've been very happy. I didn't care for the business version so chose not to use it for my business as there are other products that offer a better value.

Pros

Once you configure your initial backup, Carbonite will take care of everything for you on auto pilot. New files and changed files will automatically be backed up without you having to remember to. Restoring files after a catastrophic hard drive failure took a while due to the size of the backup but worked well.

Cons

Price has been increasing steadily over the years without adding value, other providers are now more competitive price wise.

sharon from Liberty Labs, LLC

Good backup software for personal or home use

Peace of mind knowing my files are backed up.

Pros

- You can back up an unlimited amount of photos, music, and files. - You can easily see what files are included in the backup, and easily add more files. - Backup is continuous, you don't have to check it or worry about it. - Overall a good backup solution. I have not had any problems or errors.

Cons

- It takes forever to retrieve your files. I am restoring files from my old computer to my new one. It has been going for about three WEEKS and it is now at 83%. However, if I needed one particular file right away, I could search for and download that one sooner.

Ken from DASCOM Americas

Carbonite has been there for me through a few system crashes - had my date backed up and ready to go

Great backup of my work - only downside was slow in getting them loaded back.

Pros

Carbonite was my safety net when my system crashed. I have created a LOT of marketing material over time and it is imperative to have a backup system. I was able to find the files I needed and load them back. Their phone line customer service was also top-notch the one time I called. They were professional and helpful and had me up and running quickly.

Cons

The main detriment is that if you have a lot of large files it will take you a long time even with fast upload speed to get your files loaded back.

Don from Boeing

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Sleep well knowing your data is protected!

it provide the peace of mind knowing that your data is always backed up. It does this on a daily basis, so you have the most up to date image of current data.

Pros

One of the best features of this software is the ease of use. Upon setup, it walks you through the entire process. Doesn't get any easier than that. I've used this software for several years and during that time had on two occasions lost a hard drive and all the data on it. Thankfully Carbonite was there to restore.

Cons

I've used Carbonite for several years and honestly don't have any negatives for this program. It just works!

Erik from Bethany Baptist Church

automatic cloud backup

Peace of mind.

Pros

Been using it at home for years. Very reasonably priced. I love that it can run automatically during the specified hours so I don't have to worry about it using bandwidth. Files are then available to other devices.

Cons

Video files are not automatic. You have to specify to back up each one, or a bunch at a time, but it's not as automatic as other file types. So, every once in a while, I search file type: video, select all, and make sure they're all being backed up. Interface for getting files from the cloud is a little slow and clunky.

Santosh from The Law Offices Of Hilda Sibrian

Carbonite - Review

- it is a good overall experience with Carbonite application.

Pros

- This is an application which helps us to keep a backup of all our servers daily - This application is very easy to setup and access. - This application is very efficient is storing and retrieving data files without any issues.

Cons

- the pricing can be more affordable in pricing - this application can have more features to handle more use cases. - this application can be more optimized on UI

Reasons for Choosing Carbonite

- the features available with the price range in market.

Paul from Baptist Mid-Missions

Carbonite

Overall I have loved Carbonite. It gives great peace of mind and is very affordable.

Pros

I love this software! It is so easy to use and gives great peace of mind that my documents are stored. I like how you don't have to do anything but simply let the software run in the background.

Cons

It can take Carbonite quite a bit of time to restore documents after a factory reset of the computer. While I understand that a lot of files take time, it does seem that there can be some duplicates that don't need to happen.

Greg from Carwash Services of Southeast

Industry: Chemicals

Carbonite

It has been a life savor for me. Our owner had lost his laptop and I was able to fully recover his data to restore on new laptop. He was extremely great full that we had this software installed.

Pros

Users love being able to login on phone/pad and view files that have been synced from their workstation/laptop. Also, gives them security that their files are backed up if something went wrong with their workstation/laptop.

Cons

Great product for all kinds of backups

Overall it continues to be a great experience. Support has been great. its saved my clients bacon a number of times when it comes to local restores. highly recommend

Pros

Ease of setup, ease of use. backup types and styles, and the ability to customize. Solid interface. Customer service and support.

Cons

When they updated to version 6, they changed the software interface quiet a bit, it feels restricted in terms of the ability to administer tasks. I much prefer that older classic look and feel for those of us who know their way about backup software. Price point is a little high, especially for small offices who only have 2-3 servers vs bigger clients who could have 6-10 or more.

Lance from DASCOM Americas

Industry: Computer Hardware

Carbonite User

Pros

We use Carbonite on all of our laptops in our office. We do not have a central server and so everyone has company information stored on their laptops. You select which folders, files or drives you want backed up. It will back them up and you really don't need to do anything. I had to restore a few files and it was a snap.

Cons

Sometimes it goes offline and I need to reboot my laptop to get it recognize my mac. Once I do that it is all good to go.

Alex from My Sherpa Ltd

Used to be great but functionality has been reduced

Pros

It's quite easy to install and set up and you can leave it just to do it's thing. Plenty of storage space. Mobile app is also usefully for accessing files.

Cons

It's now expensive compared with competitors. Functionality has also been reduced over time which means that some things are no longer available or you have to buy a more expensive package. Basic licence only covers one computer and it's quite expensive to add more computers. Poor renewal deals for loyal customers.

Spencer from MHCEDC

Carbonite provides the peace of mind you need for your files

Pros

I like the peace of mind that Carbonite provides, knowing that my files are constantly being backed up. I don't have to worry about losing one file should something go wrong at my workplace.

Cons

Sometimes Carbonite loses its connection to the internet and sends a message that you have not backed up in X number of days/weeks. I have to reboot the server and this usually fixes the problem, but it can be annoying to have to do that.

Pete from Landair LLC

Excellent way to back up my personal files, pictures, videos.

Pros

It is extremely easy to set up. My media folders are already set to back up each night so as I add files to these folders I know they are being stored in the cloud for me.

Cons

From what I can tell there is no easy way to get your files back if your computer crashes. When I say easy I mean fast way to get them. The upload times to back up your files are long, so I can imagine if you are trying to restore a backup it would take days.

Love that Backup, Hate the Slowdown

Pros

Carbonite has saved my butt a few times when I've lost files. You used to be able to also see files on your iPhone but that feature was discontinued. I do like that you can choose what specifically to back up.

Cons

It slows down my computer A LOT. I've talked with tech support and they've tried to help but no matter what, it's slow. I set Carbonite to only run while in the middle of the night and that helps.

BRAD from Rea Landscape

An essential product for anyone with critical information stored on their computer

Pros

Very easy to use. We first started using Carbonite about 7 years ago when we lost our entire hard drive to a virus. Unfortunately, we hadn't signed up for the service prior but we quickly learned our lesson and have used since.

Best cloud backup

Pros

I love Carbonite for backing up my files on my computer. The thing I love best about it is that I literally don't have to do anything. My files are backed up every day on their own. The files are also accessible from any computer if you sign into your account.

Cons

Only drawback I would say is that sometimes it takes a little while for the files to download onto the cloud.

Deborah from The McMillan Group

Easy as it can get!!

I just like the feeling of my information being protected.

Pros

What's not to like. Download, simple set up and you're protected. It's really that way. What a great feel to know that your information is being constantly protected. It doesn't slow your system down either.

Cons

I would always like it to be free to users but I doubt that will happen. I'm sorry but I really can't think of any cons.

Becky from TPUDC

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Peace of mind and ease of access

Pros

I love how quickly I can access a file on my computer remotely from my phone - for example, I recently went on a trip and forgot the itinerary spreadsheet I had saved to my desktop at home. It only took a minute to retrieve it while waiting at baggage claim.

Cons

I have not had any issues with this software, except forgetting to unpause the backup sometimes.

Brian from Chaplain Training Academy

Essential cloud backup solution!

Ability to restore files to a new computer.

Pros

Carbonite provided outstanding customer service when we needed to transfer files to a new computer. They walked us through the entire process and saved us hours of heartache!

Cons

The price point is fairly competitive with other cloud backup solutions and sometimes they offer discounts at time of renewal if a 5-year plan is chosen.

Good Program but can get Pricey

Pros

It offers an additional back up source for me at a reasonable cost. I am a belt and suspenders type of person so I want multiple back ups of everything I do. This provides me with an easy way to have an extra backup source.

Cons

I looked into using this program as my main back up software but when you start looking at the server version it can get expensive in a hurry.

James from Ada Regional United Way Inc.

Easy to set up for peace of mind

Pros

We've used Carbonite in our office for years. We recently upgraded to a higher package, and I enjoy the ease of use. Carbonite backs up our files in the background and gives me peace of mind, in case of a catastrophic loss of data.

Cons

Can slow down the use of the computer sometimes. Especially if trying to delete a file that is being backed up at the time.

Ok until it isn’t.

Quit working and customer service was unable to help me get it working again.

Pros

Once set up it is very easy to use. It will continue working in the background.

Cons

Can have errors or quit working and the user not be aware. The bing that makes it nice, automatic hands off backup, also makes it a danger. You need to verify frequently that the software is doing its job.

Lester from ProSys, Inc.

Great online backup service

It helps me to sleep at night.

Pros

You can backup your server and desktops using the locally installed software. You have great control over what and when everything is backed up.

Cons

When I needed to do a full server restore, it would have taken days to restore. I contacted Carbonite which sent me a hard drive with our backup on it, which save me many hours.

Larissa from US Tax Recovery Partners

Great desktop PC backup solution!

Pros

Carbonite works well for backup of desktop PCs, but the product is lacking when it comes to server/enterprise level backup. It's good value for the price when it comes to desktop PC back.

Cons

The server file restore process takes significantly more time than I have experienced with other enterprise-level backup solutions, which results in more down-time in some cases. We have a high speed wired Internet connection to our servers, but file restore from the cloud can take days to complete in most cases.

John from Homebase USA

Simple, reliable and reasonably priced file back up system!

Continuous, reliable and automatic file back up to the cloud.

Pros

I love that Carbonite is constantly running in the background and instantly and automatically backs up file changes and new files without me having to do anything!

Cons

The price is little bit high compared to some other alternatives. but the ease of use of this software makes it worth it.

John from Boardroom Partners, Inc.

Backups You Can Count On

Our consulting firm runs on computers. Backups are essential to our business. Carbonite solved our backup problem, period.

Pros

I like everything about this software. It's easy to setup. It runs in the background, and I don't even notice it. You have access to your files online.

Cons

There is no con, except maybe the price. But, you get what you pay for.

Rob from CS3

Good

Pros

With so many different types of backup software out there I think this is the best deal for a single computer. I love to be able to look up things from my backup on the app.

Cons

The thing I least like about it is that you have to manually choose to backup each video. That is a real pain and I have no idea why they make you do that!

Jennifer from Jennifer Dvoskin

Industry: Mental Health Care

Great Product!

It has been excellent. Highly highly recommended.

Pros

Cons

I don't like when they contact me to try to upsell new products. The one I have works great for me. I wish I could opt-out​ of promotional emails, but I also think others can benefit from the other products so I understand why they do it.

Kim from New Era Nursery

Great peace of mind

Peace of mind that our data is backed up.

Pros

Our data is being backed up continually with minimal interactions from the user. Multiple computers are bundled together on the same account.

Ross from Nanofiber Solutions

Industry: Biotechnology

I use Carbonite to backup my data files.

Peace of mind that my data is backed up.

Pros

The fact that Carbonite runs in the background and ensures my files are always backed up is great. Once it is setup, you do not have to do anything with 95% of your data.

Cons

It would be nice to have it automatically backup all file sizes - without going to specific large files to add them.

Linda from FranBizNetwork

Insurance!

I have had to recover files and it was easy to figure out how to do it. In one instance I needed technical support and they were responsive and helpful

Pros

I use this product on my personal and business machine. If my computer were to die, I can easily recover everything

Cons

I like it, it works great. I have recovered files myself with no assistance

Phillip from University of Florida, IFAS Facilities

Set it and forget it.

Stress free off site backup solution.

Pros

Easy setup, easy upgrades. Product is easy to navigate. It's file icon feature easily lets you see what has or hasn't been backed up.

Cons

Pricing structure has recently changed, not offering previous plan. Pricing model has increased without offering explanation of what current plan covered.

Carbonite works well - until you want to restore a large file

Pros

Carbonite is pretty easy to set up, and it will capture changes in files pretty quickly. It's a set-it-and-forget-it backup utility. You simply choose which folders you want to be backed up, and it will monitor for changes and get the files into the cloud.

Cons

Carbonite owns your encryption key, meaning that when it does encrypt, the employees of Carbonite could theoretically gain access to your data. It's better to use a service that allows you to create an encryption key (there are many alternatives). Also, the biggest con to this is restoring. When you are restoring from the web interface (because, say, your server/PC is dead), then what happens is that the page will time out during the download. When this happens the download is canceled and you have to start over. For restores of large files, I've had to sit in front of the computer to click within the window every few minutes so I wouldn't get disconnected. Also, they are not HIPAA compliant, they do not encrypt the data prior to transmission, and I don't trust their security.

Joni from Lambert Entertainment

Carbonite is great, but could be better

For the price, it's worth the piece of mind.

Pros

The security of having my files automatically backing up to the cloud.

Cons

Files aren't always uploaded as they exist on your computer. For instance, instead of files being in a folder, Carbonite sometimes uploads the folder (empty) and files individually. Very annoying.