(1,041)

1,041

• Pros

• "Easy processing. Reasonable prices. Great support."

• "The price is great and the software is so easy to use. I would recommend to any small business because it has everything needed all on one interface."

• "Excellent customer service. Very reliable software. Ease of use. "

• Cons

• "It is a little hard to setup at first, but I also have 401K plans so mine might be a bit complicated. After that it is a breeze."

• "The UI was difficult to begin with. But, with the recent upgrades it is much better."

• "An app will be great. But it's not a deal breaker for my company"

Browse Patriot Payroll Reviews

Brian from Joblyt LLC

Industry: Online Media

Easy to use and affordable payroll software

Pros

I would assume every payroll software is relatively similar once set up. With Patriot's full service plan, the set up was even easier and a breeze compared to trying to set up payroll with competitors or even my bank. Aside from just set up, there is a ton of helpful information on the site so I don't have to consult with support often.

Cons

It feels a little more "old" design-wise. For me, this isn't a problem since it functions the way I need it to.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Easier set up and price was reasonable. Also, it had the best reviews which I believe ultimately made me choose.

Christine from SBS CPA's

Love this Software

Everything has been amazing. The customer service is awesome, the software is easy to use, and the price is just the best.

Pros

I love everything about this. 1) The ease, it is so easy to use 2) the customer service team is always so helpful and listens to suggestions and has implemented suggestions we have made 3) the Price, we came from Intuit and the price savings was crazy amazing 4) They process all payroll forms, Intuit would not process our local LST returns, but Patriot does, they do them all!

Cons

The few items I would like to see changed are mainly just with check printing. It would be nice to be able to print DD stubs with a layout that looks like a laser check so that they could be folded and put into double window envelopes like the checks are. The second thing would be to be able the change the stub options on checks. Currently, laser checks take up both stubs on a check to make one pay stub. It would be nice if you could have an option that it all fit on just one of the check stubs, and then repeats again on the second stub for the employer's copy.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

They offered all the options we were looking for as accountants processing clients' payrolls along with the price.

Kristen from Bookkeeping Illuminations

Patriot Software

Customer Service is great . It's not always intuitive with where to find things, but over the year + we've used it they've made a few great improvments (like multi hour wages, and pto tracking).

Pros

We use Patriot Software in a wide variety of industries (restaurant, retail, day care, and more). I love how I can set it up for a client, and show them briefly how to run their own payroll. Very easy for simply payrolls.

Cons

My biggest pet peeve is the inflexibility of making tax adjustments. For Example: a restaurant where they pay out tips each night means that a check would be for sever hours only, usually about $40 for the week. The tips justify enough taxes that they end up with a negative paycheck. In any other system I can manually adjust the taxes held to get the check to zero or close. (the server ends up owing money at the end of the year). With PS, I have to come up with other options for getting the paycheck to zero (like getting the business to cover the taxes in the meantime).

Price point.

Chris from KABOOST

Get a real company to do your payroll

Pros

It is very inexpensive and takes on clients that have very few employees. Customer service reps are EXTREMELY HELPFUL, polite, and very knowledgeable of the program abilities and shortfalls.

Cons

You can cancel ANYTIME, but then you have to send all the State/Government taxes collect to their respective agencies with the appropriate paperwork. Patriot sends all the taxes back to you to deal with. Some taxes are due annually, due the end of January, so if you want Patriot to file it, you have to keep the subscription until that date. Nickel and diming. If you want them to track sick days, accumulated vacation days etc, it is included. If you want your employees to be able to track it through the online portal, that will cost you additional per month. Check out the list of add-ons to determine what is important to you. They offer QuickBooks import of data, but I have yet to see how anything matches anything on the bank statement. Like taxes are deducted from payroll, they show in a different month than the payroll, and the payroll imports as the gross amount which is not the amount sent to the employee by NatPay. If you use a dummy account in your accounting software (QuickBooks) to run all the payroll functions through, this will not bother you and your accountant will made the journal entry additional adjustments. I could not get my first payroll to reconcile, and it was determined that Patriot made an error and did not collect $ 3.60 in taxes somewhere. I am going with when the taxes were going to be sent to the agency, the error would have been found and corrected (depending on the tax agency, some are sent monthly, some quarterly, some annually.) The next payrolls were done correctly. NatPay is a 3rd party vendor that facilitates the employee direct deposit. If you enter a payroll incorrectly and want to cancel, even seconds later, Patriot says it is canceled, but you have to CALL NATPAY otherwise it goes through. Be sure to not miss the pop-up warning. I was advised they are working on a better solution to make sure it is clear what to do in order to cancel a mistake payroll that was submitted. The site is not all that easy to navigate. There are report and default options that may not be easy to locate how to set. Strongly suggest that you contact customer services and they will walk you quickly through the process. I have worked with 4 different Payroll service companies over the last couple of years. They are not all the same, they each have strengths and weaknesses and wide range of costs. From what I can tell, they all do the payroll functions of collecting and distributing employee payments and taxes correctly. The big difference, besides costs, is what they include in the base price, and if/how they enter this information into your accounting system like QuickBooks. With any payroll service, you always have the option to enter it manually into your system from the paystubs which ensure it is entered how you want it.

Response from Michele

Replied May 2017

I'd like to take the opportunity to clarify some of your misgivings about Patriot: 1. You are correct, you can cancel anytime. If you do cancel, we do give you any money back we have collected so that you can make your filings yourself. If you want Patriot to file, for you, (we'd be happy to), you just need to cancel after the filings have been made. 2. You do not get charged to keep track of sick days or vacation days. There is a free feature in the software called "Manage Time Off". 3. Next pay periods DO automatically populate. This was a feature we added last year. 4. All payroll reports are under the Payroll tab under "Reports". We have an excellent "Payroll Details Report" where you can adjust dates and select specific employees and/or taxes to view. These can be grouped in a variety of ways: check, employee, paydate, totals 5. Once you run a payroll, a file is instantly sent to Natpay. If you void the payroll, you are correct, you will want to call Natpay and make sure the file has been canceled. Because this is a third party vendor who handles direct deposit, we can't control how their system works after the file is sent, unfortunately. We do give warning in the system to remind you. (We want to be sure your employees are only paid once.) 6. Our QB export only sends by pay date, not pay period. 7. We appreciate that we can make our navigation easier, and our UX team is on it! I'm having a customer support rep reach out to you to help you with these things. We are here for you, Chris. We want you to be among the thousands of satisfied customers Patriot serves every day!

Matthew from Choose to Love, LLC

Easiest and best service and value!

Patriot Software's customer service team has been friendly and helpful every time I have reached out. All of my questions have been answered quickly so I could get back to work.

Pros

I love Patriot Software Payroll's incredible ease of use. I used it for a year, then switched to Quickbooks Payroll because I thought it would be easier because we use QBO. I was wrong. Quickbooks Payroll was much harder to use. The primary reason is that you still have to do a great deal when using QBO Payroll. With Patriot Software, once it is set up, the do so much more FOR you as part of the service. This gives me peace of mind, because I don't worry about making a mistake or overlooking one of the many filings.

Cons

For Patriot Software's Payroll software, I have experienced no downsides.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

I stayed with QBO for accounting because Patriot Software Accounting lacks the ability to enter a split transaction.

Marshall from Inbound Studio

A low-cost Payroll service

Pros

It's one of the lower cost full-service payroll providers out there, and it has an attractive feel, and will appeal to business owners who are not full-time HR professionals. The dashboard is straightforward, decently uncluttered, and shows useful information at a glance, with the ability to quickly dive into more information as necessary. Running payroll is also relatively easy once everything is set up, and with full-service payroll, they will take care of all filings as well which is nice. The service is pay as you go, cancel anytime without penalty.

Cons

Running a payroll is a manual process, and when entering hours there doesn't seem to be a method for uploading a spreadsheet or any import process. For some businesses with many employees this would be tedious, unless you use their time tracking service as well (at an additional fee). They offer additional services, which may appeal to some businesses, such as accounting, but unfortunately they leave those menus intact regardless of if you have the product or not. The result was that as I learned the product, I often found myself on screens that unhelpfully said I don't have a subscription for this. In my opinion those options are cluttering up space, I don't need a constant reminder for a service I don't need. The only reason it is there is for gratuitous upsell, which doesn't help user experience. The biggest con for me, and the reason I ultimately chose another service, is the setup process. While I'd imagine it wasn't necessary difficult, it was overly complex, and involved printing documents, scanning, initialing, and steps other services don't require (or simplify) for setting up services such as Direct Deposit. Working with customer support felt like talking to a robot, not a human, who stood behind her curtain of company policies and couldn't engage in real conversation or sympathy for a frustrated customer. In 2018, we have enough robots to talk to, when we speak to a human they should really sound like one.

Eric from All Seasons Care, LLC

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Best Low Cost Alternative

Best Payroll Software for its money. Has the employee portal and everything. Makes a big company feel with half the costs.

Pros

The software has all the functionalities that other software providers offer with half the cost of them. I used other payroll software that doesn't even come close to pricing.

Cons

There isn't much. The only thing I would say would be the look of the website. Looks outdated but other then that all the functions work and i haven't had a problem out if it yet.

Costs.

Jonathan from Kulshan Painting LLC

Payroll for small business

Overall, payroll has been easy and quick to set up and customer support has been quick to help with any issues.

Pros

Learning to use Patriot Payroll was quick and easy. it is extremely self explanatory and their online support was very helpful while setting up the program.

Cons

The only issue we have had is that we can't divide the hours on payroll per employee for different L&I rates. For example, our crew will sometimes work an interior job and an exterior job in the same pay period which have very different L&I rates but as far as I know there is no way to select different codes for different hours. It's all or nothing

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Having not a lot of experience with any payroll system, we just went with what was recommended by a friend who has been happy with it.

Jonathan from Harbour Express Contracting

Saving me loads of time every month

I would use this software even without direct deposit as it greatly simplifies payroll for my small business (5 employees). With DD, I don't even have to write checks anymore, so it's a win/win. I tried other options in the market and they were too complicated.

Pros

Automated payrolls with direct deposit, multiple payroll runs per period, automatic federal monthly and and state quarterly tax payments, email notifications when funds need to be transferred. I was doing this whole process manually for 5 employees (no software) and hiring an accountant to prepare the quarterly statements. Now that is all entirely covered by Patriot.

Cons

Four business day processing for direct deposit is about 1-2 days too long. I've had to tell my employees to turn in their timecards 2 days early in order to get paid in a reasonable time (especially when weekends get in the way).

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Easier to set up and use. Price was about the same.

Matthew from Charlotte Counseling and Wellness

The best option for household employers

We are big fans of Patriot Payroll. It saves us a lot of time and headaches!

Pros

My wife and I tried handling payroll for our nanny on our own for the first 6 months or so. It was a disaster. We weren't thrilled about having to pay for this service, but in hindsight, it was absolutely the right call. Patriot's interface is really easy to use. We like that all we have to do is indicate the number of hours our nanny has worked for the pay period and the rest is taken care of for us.

Cons

Setting up the payroll service took more time than we expected. Fortunately, you only have to do this once.

Tony from Concentric

Patriot Payroll has great customer service and is easy to use!!

This is a very user-friendly and inexpensive way to get payroll done. This software has saved our company a lot of time and money. I would recommend this product to small and medium-size companies.

Pros

The customer support is very effective and made Implementation process very smooth. The process for logging employee hours and applying deductions are very easy to understand and straightforward. This product has a very user-friendly UI that is clean and very intuitive, this makes reporting very flexible. This is a cost effective solution for small companies as long as you do not need extensive job costing integration into an accounting system.

Cons

The direct deposit functionality is very restrictive at times and they require that the payroll is processed by Monday for it to be distributed to the employee's account on Friday. Patriot Payroll does use ADP as a third party to do the direct deposits. This doesn't really work well with our paperless environment. After you have entered hours you can not go back and correct any mistakes you may have made on a payroll deduction. This is frustrating at times. You have to delete the entire payroll, edit the deduction and then re-enter the payroll. This makes the software feel very clunky, an alternative would be to approve the payroll void the incorrect check and then re-run another payroll.

Response from Michele

Replied February 2018

Tony, as of December 2018, we no longer use a third party to manage direct deposit. Everything is seamless and in our software. Did you know that if you are paying your employees by direct deposit, and have set them up with the free employee portal, no printing is necessary on your end? Employees can log in to their employee portal and download paystubs from their if needed, making your payroll paperless. :)

Neal from Massage Fishers

Bang for your buck!

I had tried ADP and PAYCHEX before switching to Patriot. As a sole proprietor running a small business, I was not prepared to handle payroll taxes. ADP was so expensive, i felt. Paychex had me depend on a person to take my info and process it. That person was off one day when my payroll needed completed and i missed payroll! That didn't go over well. For the last few years we have used and fallen in love with the simplicity of Patriot. I input the numbers and it gives me a PDF to print onto my checks instantly. It's all I ever wanted.

Pros

1.) Its simple to use. 2.) Its cheap. 3.) Full featured but lets me print my own checks instantly.

Cons

I thought at first that Patriot was going to send out the Tax documents to my employees. But that wasnt the case. That was a bummer as i wasnt at first prepared. But it makes since that we should send them to know we meet our deadlines and have proof they were sent.

Response from Patriot Software

Replied September 2019

Neal, you've made our day! Thank you for spreading the word about Patriot!

Danielle from San Diego Youth Science, LLC

The best decision!

Purchasing access to the Patriot Software program was one of my best decisions. In fact, I wish I had started sooner because it would have saved me a lot of time and money. I appreciate knowing when I call for tech support I will be able to speak with a person in a timely manner, and that person will be patient with me. I cannot imagine growing my business without Patriot Software.

Pros

I am both a scientist and an educator, not a business person by training. Patriot Software was recommended to me by my accountant. I primarily use the payroll features for my small business. It is so easy to use for both myself and employees. I appreciate the fact there is an employee portal. All of the features from running payrolls, to creating W2s is so user-friendly. And when I haven't been sure how to accomplish something the phone in teach support has been amazing. Aside from the product being a wonderful time saver for me to use, it also at a price point that is incredibly reasonable.

Cons

This is one of the rare items I have ever used where I have nothing constructive that should be changed. I have been thrilled with all aspects of the Patriot System.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

I spoke with their representatives a number of times on the phone and really liked the staff I encountered. I also felt the services I needed were offered at the right price point for my small business.

Crystal from Crystal Clear Mobile Providers

Honest Patriot Payroll Review

This software has saved me a huge amount of money regarding payroll.

Pros

Cost was a big thing especially compared to other accounting software. It is easy to use.

Cons

I wish it was easier to calculate the PTO part.

Response from Patriot Software

Replied September 2019

Hi Crystal, Thank you for your terrific review. We wanted to let you know that in addition to the free manage time off feature, we also have time off accruals where you can set up "rules" so employees earn their PTO hours based on the number of hours worked. Please check out our help article on how to set those up,(https://www.patriotsoftware.com/payroll/training/help/setting-up-company-time-off-accrual-rules/) or chat or call us! We are here to help.

Vickey from Vickey's Bookkeeping Inc

Great Software for the Price!

Overall, Patriot Payroll works very well for my bookkeeping business and I would highly recommend them for other bookkeepers, small business owners, and nonprofits. I was using a very expensive full service payroll software that works inside of QBO...but had so many issues with them that when I switched to Patriot...it was a breath of fresh air! Their support was so much more "supportive" and being able to control the payroll transactions in QBO was wonderful! AND paying a fourth of the monthly fee of the "other" payroll software for better and more reliable software was nice too!

Pros

I use Patriot Software for all of my bookkeeping software because it is reliable and easy to use. It also cost a fraction of what other full service payroll software cost. Their Support staff is awesome and seems more knowledgable than the support reps I talked with my prior full service payroll provider. The payroll reports are easier to run and have the detail I need for my church clients. Setting up the unique compensation and taxes for churches is MUCH easier in Patriot also.

Cons

I don't like the journal entries (JE) Patriot automatically creates when you connect them to QBO. Better account mapping capabilities would solve that issue...but in the meantime I just turn off that feature and enter my own payroll JEs in QBO. I also don't like that I can't assign one employee to 2 or more different locations. You also can't assign more than one pay rate per employee. I have one client that is an employee of the church and of the church's preschool with different pay rates for both. Patriot helped me set up a work around...but it is not ideal. BUT even with these cons...I still love the software and am happy with their service.

William from Advice PC Group LLC

What a life saver

Even with the check printing challenges, I love the service. Nothing is perfect. We have been with Patriot for over a year now and our experience has been very consistent. We moved from another payroll service that cost about the same but did far less and had issues several times a year. I feel Patriot Software is fair. Most of the time when companies of multi service options as "piece meal" solution, the company does this in order to maximize the appearance of low cost. With Patriot, it is not the case, in my opinion it is to allow business owners to pick what their company needs.

Pros

Easy to use web interface and good help functions if you need them. Quick service if you have questions with their chat help feature. Very knowledgeable staff every time I have spoken to them. Patriot offers many options to pick from in order to meet each business needs. System just works without issues. If you choose, they will file all of your forms for you and I think it is well worth it. The employee portal is a great tool that allows employees to access their information at any time without using any man hours.

Cons

The printing of checks is the biggest issue we have found. It does print well once you setup. Printer setup is a bit challenging. The second part of the check printing issue is when you print on check voucher laser checks, no matter how you setup, it really does not print info in the right areas. Also unsure why you have to enter a check number on the "print payroll" page in order to download the file to print check with. Check numbers are already printed on the checks.

Carol from J-Pro Inspects, llc

July 2016

Used it for a month, liking it so far.

Took me awhile to navigate everything, mostly because we've never employed anyone before. I needed help to get started and great customer service to get me through the process since I was unfamiliar with all that was needed. They took me from New Hire to setting up the payroll. You can print checks or write them out yourself. It's been pretty smooth. Competitively priced.

Pros

It was pretty easy once I got all the forms from the employees and numbers I needed from the state and bank. PS is right their to help you. They don't send a bazillion e-mails but a check up once in awhile. I have only been using it for about a month but so far so good. I did have the advantage of a friend's experiences with other payroll software...she's been through 3 or 4 so far. So I didn't give those a try at all. They will run my 1099's and W-2's at the end of the year for me. We do need to request some services as they don't necessarily do them automatically. I've had great customer service and they patiently walk me through everything when I need it.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to know where the online info is that I need. The "check stub" gives the employee fees as well as the the employer contributions so I cut it in half. But that may be due to the fact that I write the checks instead of printing off a business payroll check. I would like them to have an option just for commission. You have to put in some hourly thing (I put $1) and then you can put in commission later in the program. So it works, it's kind of like they worked for you for an hour and you paid them $500. Expensive looking hour. Everything is online ( I am a paper in hand person...) so some times I am not sure where to find what I am looking for. However, a walk-through is just a phone call away (a Pro).

Karen from Cypress Pediatrics

I tell everyone about Patriot Software!

I was really desperate to get another payroll system after several years of frustration with Paychex. When I first saw that I would be the one handling all the payroll, I was very intimidated by the concept! After all, I went to medical school, not business school. Then, I realized, if Paychex can repeatedly mess up the payroll, I was fairly sure that I could do it competently with the Patriot team's help. And it was the smartest business decision that I have made. It is so easy to set up, and running a payroll takes less than 10 minutes- including the time to print out a report! As a business person, it puts me in control and is an easy tool to use. Love would be a strong word to use but let's just say, when the patriot jingle comes on the radio, I smile and sing along! Oh- and it costs half of what Paychex was costing for doing the same thing! Can't beat that!

Pros

The software is so easy to use and the company support is phenomenal!!!

Cons

The only con is that I didn't know about Patriot when I was starting my business! I lost hundreds of dollars and hours of frustration with Paychex!

Ralph from New Hope Christian Church

Heard About Patriot Software On The Radio

I was using QuickBooks Non-Profit for accounting and payroll. The payroll add-on was so expensive and I had to file and pay all of my reports to the IRS, and state and local taxing authorities! By switching to Patriot all I have to do is record the transactions and file all the reports of collections, payments and filings. By switching my nerves are settled and calm knowing that everything is taken care of and is correct! No pressure now.

Pros

The cost for the services and the scope of the services provided.

Cons

I don't know of anything I dislike about Patriot Software.

Response from Patriot Software

Replied August 2019

Thanks for sharing Ralph! We love that you no longer have to worry about payroll mistakes. Calming the nerves is one side effects of using Patriot Software. :)

Kim from Kauer & Son, LLC

FANTASTIC Service and Company!

Pros

Love the ease of use, accuracy and customer service is the best! Was able to set up ourselves and not having to rely on a CDR that was different every time was key.

Cons

Nothing so far! I really have nothing bad to say 2 years in.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Liked being hands on and not having to rely on someone else to set us up!

Elizabeth from Thelostchurch.org Inc

Taking the anxiety out of Payroll

Overall the set up and customer service is awesome. I called a handful of times during set up requesting help figuring something out..and it was always a great experience. We started with 1 employee and now have several, and payroll is a quick and painless task. I recommend PatriotSoftware to friends who run businesses, whom aren't tech savvy...encouraging them, they can do it too!

Pros

This software has the functionality of different pay rates for different jobs...1 employee might do several different jobs within a pay period, and as a non profit we need to keep track of where hours and money gets classified. This makes it so easy! I like that we see all our employees and all the pay rates within the same table. That way you can add the hours into each column, and see your estimates of what payroll will be, before you actually run it. The flawless integration of Direct Deposit to employees and Payroll Taxes being withdrawn is amazing. I don't have to think about it any further.

Cons

I ran into a couple problems with running adequate reporting for quickbooks entry. My Quickbooks Guru we work with, found a workaround within the reporting available to us..it worked out fine, just needed to do an extra step of calculations. I wish during the final step of payroll, it would give me a simple listed breakdown and total sum of : 1. payroll being deposited 2. employee taxes 3. employer taxes Total

Melissa from Ablak Holdings LLC

Industry: Restaurants

Patriot Software

The software is so easy to use compared to other payroll software.

Pros

It is easy to use the payroll software. You can pull reports quickly and without having to make a call to request the reports. Your tax filings are easy to pull up and see what was filed and when.

Cons

The availability of reports for a multi store company.

MELANIE from Visual Eyes Creativity Center

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

I'm so glad I found Patriot

I needed a program that would do my payroll that I could afford. I was so thrilled to come across Patriot. With Patriot I do the time keeping and then just plug those numbers in. The payroll is figured for me and I can download and print professional paystubs and checks (plus tax documents) at no extra cost. It even tracks accrued and used time off to the minute and figures in contributions and deductions. I can also print reports and see/print my payroll history at and time, for one or all employees. You can extend the services and do overall accounting, but I just have the basic payroll plan. I did, however, take advantage of the workers compensation insurance that can be figured right from the figures in the payroll and deducted automatically. No more yearly audits and surprise balloon payments.

Pros

It is easy to use, even for people like me with few accounting skills. It is affordable. Plus they are always improving upon it and responding to customer needs.

Cons

The only issue I've had is that my time record is in minutes and the Patriot figures are in decimals. I have to convert each emplyee's time. I only have 6 employees so it's not a big deal, but I wish they gave the option to simply enter minutes.

Denise from Groves & Verona, P.A.

Industry: Law Practice

Switch to Patriot Software now and save!

The cost savings for our small business is tremendous. No more spending thousands of dollars a year.

Pros

I have been looking at Patriot Software for our small business payroll for a couple of years and finally made the switch in January. It was a bit scary at first, but it was the best decision for our office. Our payroll does not fluctuate much each pay period and Patriot makes it very easy!! The online help Chat feature and phone customer service is great as well!! They have been able to answer all of my questions quickly and easily. I'm so glad we made the switch and highly recommend any small business do the same.

Cons

Nothing to dislike about Patriot Software. I haven't had one bad experience since making the switch in January.

Rebecca from Elkins and Associates, PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

Patriot Lifesaver

I use to have so many problems with taxes and filings and now it is a breeze!

Pros

This system is so easy to learn and set up. The ability to not worry about payroll anymore is fantastic.

Cons

I wish that the tax information was sometimes more detailed.

Katie from The James Industrial Cleaning LLC

Industry: Facilities Services

Patriot software's Full service payroll ---save the time and hassle of payroll filing yourself

Customer service is prompt, friendly, and helpful. When a mistake was made, they took responsibility for it and covered the fees involved. Payroll input is fairly simple, though any changes made to an employee's info must be done before you start the payroll or you have to cancel the entire payroll and start again after the employee info has been updated.

Pros

It is fairly easy to use, and if you don't know how to do something, customer support is very helpful and prompt to respond.

Cons

Any changes made to an employee's info must be done before you start the payroll or you have to cancel the entire payroll and start again after the employee info has been updated. i.e. if you forget to add a wage change to one employee's info and discover this during the payroll data entry process, you have to cancel your work, update the wage info for the employee, and then start the payroll all over again.

Response from Patriot Software

Replied January 2017

Thanks for your feedback, Katie! This is very helpful user feedback -- we'll be sure to look into ways to make inputting employee info more intuitive. Thank you so much for sticking with us -- here's to the success of your company!

Harvey from Fisher Tax Services LLC

Great Product for the Price

I really enjoyed the software and it does a lot that these other software providers offer but for a cheaper price. I would recommend this to anyone needing a payroll solution.

Pros

Ease of Use, Eases of setup, Price, Reporting tools. I also like the ease of entering in the payroll time sheets for the employees. They offer great support also.

Cons

Export features were complicated. I had to try several times to export to my quickbooks software before I figured it out.

Affordable

Patrick from Brown Studios Photography

Industry: Photography

If Patriot were only around when I started over 30 years ago!

I have one (1) part-time employee and Patriot software is an easy-to-use complete solution for me at a great price.

Pros

This software is so easy to use and it is sized and priced for the small guy like me. Definitely the best total payroll solution I have had - and I have used many. Having great pay period flexibility and making it easy to print my own checks is wonderful. Being a total solution, including W-2's and year-end reports, makes me want to write this review (I never write reviews).

Cons

I wish that the reports available made it easier for me to access simple totals. I have limited understanding of accounting and perhaps a "search" option would help. The available Chat is very good but I would prefer to be able to get the simple numbers on my own.

Melanie from Hackworth Child Care Home

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Home Child Care

Patriot allowed me to run weekly payroll for my part-time help in my In-home child care. I used a different payroll program originally but they raised their prices and combined thier payroll with other features that I did not need. Patriot gave me just what I needed and I could pick what bells and whistles that I wanted for a small extra charge.

Pros

Patriot was EASY to use and running payroll for my part-time help only took a few minutes a week. Filing my quarterly 941 with the IRS was just a click and print and ready to mail. Printing out the end-of-year paperwork was a breeze. Very easy to change the number of employees when my one of my part-time workers went away to college. I like Patriot because I have the option to file my own taxes but Patriot has the capability of making my tax payments if I wanted to pay a little extra.

Cons

I don't have anything that I disliked about Patriot.

Krista R Strueby from Strueby Diesel LLC

Love this Program

We were paying someone to do our payroll and they kept filling late and we were being charged extra, so I started doing our own using Patriot and have been able to file quickly and efficiently

Pros

This program is super easy to use! Any time I have had an issue the help section has been awesome and I didn't even need to contact anyone. Makes Payroll so much easier then I expected it to be. I love that I can bring it up on my Smartphone also, our accountant is a 2 hour drive and I had forgotten to print something, pulled it up and printed it from my phone!

Cons

I don't know that there is anything I dislike about this program.

MIROSLAVA from FORTUNE ENTERPRISES

AWESOME PAYROLL SOFTWARE

I use this software for all my payroll customers and I have never had a problem with anything, reports submitted on time, accurate and excellent customer support. I love it!

Pros

The easy process to prepare payroll and to submit of the payroll reports

Cons

Nothing being honest, this software has made my life easier with my customers. I print reports, payroll deposits, etc for each of them and they understand the information very easy

Renee from Non-Physician Provider

Industry: Mental Health Care

Full service payroll customer, and wouldn't switch elsewhere!

Full service payroll at an economical and predictable price, that does everything that I need it to.

Pros

This company provides full service payroll at a bargain price, significantly below their competitors. I have been using them since 1/2017, and have been very happy. Set up is easy, and customer service will walk you through setting up the tax accounts if you need them to. They pay all my taxes for me on time, and submit relevant quarterly and year-end reports to tax authorities. Interface is easy to use and intuitive. Once employees are set up in payroll, I can run my salaried payroll from anywhere, in about 3 clicks. They have a variety of reports to help keep track of taxes and accounting, free direct deposit for employees, and an available employee portal. Before I chose Patriot, I got quote from two other companies, all of which had higher prices and/or set up fees. I haven't compromised one thing to get my payroll through Patriot, at their very economical price.

Cons

There is really nothing I don't like. Set up of direct deposit through Natpay (a company that Patriot uses to handle this service) wasn't particularly friendly, but it was once and done. If you want direct deposit without any additional fees, Natpay needs at least three business days lead time, and if you don't make that, payroll gets pushed back a day, but, really, that's all about planning. They take your payroll out well in advance of pay date, so you have to have it in the account, but that may be all payroll companies for all I know.

bryan from Freedom Construction

Very affordable

Patriot software has saved me hundreds in payroll and accounting expenses.

Pros

Patriot software is more affordable and easier to use.

Cons

Patriot software has performed exceptionally well. I am sure there are some shortcomings i just can't think of any off hand.

Response from Patriot Software

Replied August 2019

Woohoo! We love it when we save our customers money! Thanks for the great review Bryan!

John from McCallum's Pool Service & Repair, LLC

Very cost effective

Extremely easy to use. Only needed help from Support on one occasion. They were prompt and helpful resolving by questions.

Pros

The Patriot Software platform has been very easy to use. Since day one, I have never had any issues with tax collections being handled properly. For a small business owner, having a payroll company that you trust and have faith in, AND is at a very economical price point, is priceless. I'm glad I chose Patriot for my payroll needs.

Cons

Don't have anything that I have been displeased with.

Cost effectiveness.

Vakota from Industrial

Top Notch customer service, implementation and good value

Pros

The customer service is the best feature; they are so willing to go above and beyond in getting the software setup, training, and any questions along the way. Once set up, the software is easy to use and is a very good value.

Cons

I would like the reporting to be a little easier to find and more to the point. Most times, I don't need a detailed report, I just want to know how much did I pay out to employees in total and how much tax total (liability and expense) did I pay. Another thing I would like to see is a place to add accrued PTO and have it automatically add the time. Currently, I have to manually add the PTO on the 1st of every month. Setting up the Nat Pay direct deposit was a bit unsettling as there is a final step that must be completed or the employees don't get paid. This is where the staff of Patriot went above and beyond to help ensure that I didn't miss this crucial step. Still, this is a great software solution and I'm happy to have it.

Awesome software...great price as well

I moved over from gusto because the price. And they do just as much as gusto. I recommend it to all my clients. They have excellent customer service. I have not had an issue with them.

Pros

Price is excellent especially for what you get.

Cons

When sending over to QB doesn't exactly send over as it hits the bank so you have to adjust so bank can be reconciled. For example, the employer and employee taxes are separated even though they are withdrawn as one lump sum.

Pricing

Response from Patriot Software

Replied May 2019

Thank you for the terrific review! We love helping business owners keep their time and money!

Judd from Keller Williams Realty - New Bern

Patriot Payroll - Great Facilitator

Patriot Payroll has met my needs for a payroll system and communicates well regarding holidays and tax statements. Thank you.

Pros

The support/chat system is excellent. As I set up payroll for my first employee they answered every question, small or large, along the way. The chat support was either instant or began engaging with me each time within a few minutes. The guides also stepped me through the majority of my concerns and educated me along the way. I do not have to worry about the federal and state taxes being paid on time, whether monthly, quarterly, or annually. The money and forms are submitted on time and are available for my review at any time.

Cons

I have not found the Payroll Register available to print in the same format as it appears when I immediately select Submit payroll. (To be fair, it may be available and I have just not gotten around to ask for where to access it.) To be frank, nothing I disklike to date.

Jjohn from Sweetsnack LLC

Great and affordable total payroll and more

I have used Patriot Software for several years and love it. It's the total package. My employees handle their own time cards and payroll forms, Patriot handles all the taxes and filing. All my HR tasks are managed online as well as document handling. For the price, you can go wrong.

Pros

Ease of use, functionality, total package.

Cons

The only con is that I would like for it to handle multiple tax rates and tax groups better.

Response from Patriot Software

Replied February 2017

Thanks for your helpful feedback, John! The employee self-service is one of our favorite features, too. We're constantly working to improve our software, so be on the lookout for even more features in the future!

Tim from Classic interiors Painting

Payroll made easy

This software is the most cost effective program I have ever used. The full service feature takes care of every tax filing, its literally worry free.

Pros

The software is so easy to use, a few clicks & you are done! Absolutely the best value without question.

Cons

My experience has been trouble free- no complaints.

Lanita from That Office Girl

I am a fan!!

I have been very impressed with every facet of the experience with Patriot. I hope they do not falter, and continue to offer a fabulous price with robust support!

Pros

I think the US based Customer Support is the greatest asset to this software. They answer quickly and have efficiently addressed any issue I have encountered. Coupled with the value, I have no problem making this my ONLY choice.

Cons

The software does not have as many features as Intuit, my second favorite option, but the price makes those inconveniences minor.

Price!

Tom from Kava Haus

Patriot Software for a Small Business

The time it has saved me because I used to do payroll manually using spreadsheets. And filing year end tax forms and generating W-2s was very time consuming and stressful. Now Patriot does almost all of it. Also the business now has a time clock function that employees can access via their portals.

Pros

The ease of use. The exceptional customer support. The extended hours that Patriot Support and Customer Service Personnel are available. The knowledge of the Support and Customer Service Personnel. I have never waited more than a few minutes when connecting with Patriot Personnel either via phone or chat. The time it has saved me because I used to do payroll manually using spreadsheets. And filing year end tax forms and generating W-2s was very time consuming and stressful. Now Patriot does almost all of it.

Cons

Originally the limited hours of support. That is no longer an issue because of the extended hours support and customer service personnel are available.

T from Dearing Full Gospel Church

Patriot Software the solution to put payroll in the easy column

We needed a software that would handle Payroll and filings. Patriot software fit the need perfectly. No software to upgrade, no tax calculations to handle, no filing to take care of -it is all handled by a patriot. Just simply download the W2s and print and if the employee has agreed to receive an electronic W2 then attach it to their login. They enter the portal and can get directly to it. My favorite part is the no-nonsense filing. You run the payroll and the file. You can even print your checks or set up direct deposit. This software works for you not against you!

Pros

You enter the hours and process the payroll. They handle the filing and all the calculations.

Cons

They were not sure if we would be required to pay SUTA as each state is different. But a call to the state got the information we needed and a call to patriot software finished the setup.

Response from Patriot Software

Replied January 2017

Wow, we are over the moon from your review! We are so happy to hear that payroll is a breeze for you. We also know that getting all your rates in order is a bit tricky -- our customer support team is always available to help sort it out, plus we've got a State Payroll Guide that outlines specific payroll info by state: http://bit.ly/2iW2JLZ Hopefully this helps and thank you for being our customer!

Michael from Lucky Day LLC

Easy to use and administer payroll!

I started with Patriot because I hired one person back in 2017. We were supposed to be a very small operation with no employees. They made it easy to have just one employee. We since have added a second location and have hired and released several others. I used to work (operations HR and GM) at a major retailers (several of them) and Patriot is EASIER than any of their systems I have used.

Pros

Patiot Payroll is a easy self administered payroll who will do all the "back end" work of calculating, deducting and ensuring the deductions get to the correct accounts on time. All we need to do is key the employee info, click finish and print checks.

Cons

Whats not to like when a company makes a task easy?

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Patriot's overall features for value outweigh just about every other solution out their. I even use square and their timecard feature and it should be just as easy, but I won't switch as they have been changing "fee" structure to often.

Lakisha from 2 Dance 4 Life

Industry: Performing Arts

Easy to Use

Having the use of direct deposit and also sending my quarterly payments in on time has saved me many headaches and stress. By using the Timekeeping, I've gotten rid of trying to track employees' time by hand which has been a huge relief.

Pros

The customer service is top-notch. Any time I've had a problem they were easy to reach and the problem was resolved that day. I also love the time card feature. It eliminated keeping track of everyone's time by hand.

Cons

There isn't anything about them I dislike. They have everything that I need to successfully run payroll.

Kelley from Smith Best & Stoneking, PC

Excellent decision to change

We are a CPA firm and our company made a major switch from another payroll provider. The switch couldn't have been easier or smoother!! The customer support team is AMAZING and so easy and helpful to work with. We are extremely pleased that we made the switch.

Pros

I love how easy it is to manage my data myself without having the "support team" have to make different changes. I love the ease and quickness of the quarterly reports. I love the 2 day direct deposit turn around.

Cons

There are a couple of reports that I had been used to getting from an other software company. I use them often, and although I have cobbled up similar ones, they aren't quite as easy to read/use. I also wish that Patriot did the new hire reporting.

Ashlea from Walt's Upholstery, Inc.

Industry: Furniture

Easiest Payroll Software!

We are a small, family owned and operated business who, for the last 36 years, has been processing payroll by hand. Patriot Software has allowed us to run a payroll quickly and efficiently. It typically takes me less than 15 minutes to run and print my checks, and print my reports! Well worth the price, which is extremely reasonable! I highly recommend this software!

Pros

Ease of use, low cost, customization, quick.

Cons

In the 2 years using this software, I have not come across anything I didn't like!

Response from Patriot Software

Replied November 2019

Thank you Ashlea! We love helping you get payroll completed quickly so you can get back to the business of running your business!

October 2015

Ray from Shoe Shi Boutique

October 2015

Simple & Straightforward without breaking our Small Business

Pros

This product is so simple and easy. No software to install or updates on the software, this is a web portal (aka "the cloud") where you can essentially log in from any computer. Testing this out for 1 month was a breeze. It's not complicated and the GUI is straightforward and not riddled with numerous options so you know exactly what you're looking for.

Cons

2 things ... (1) if you made a mistake on a payroll check you can't go and easily re-submit the correct hours, you have to cancel the payroll check and start all over. Somewhat of a nuisance, but I can understand the IT security logic for not wanting this to be "open access" for anyone because fraud would run rampant. But I've made mistakes on checks and had to start all over again... (2) is they are open from 8a-5p EST time zone. If you're on any other time zone don't wait until 8pm at night when you've got a problem and need some help.

Stephanie from Farmhouse Catering

Chose Patriot

I like that Patriot Software is very user friendly! The site isn't cluttered. The payroll reports are easily downloaded. I did a lot of price comparing before choosing Patriot! They are very reasonable and without the headaches of Quickbooks!

Pros

Cons

If I had to think of a con, it would be that if I'm in the middle of entering a payroll and I realize I need to make a change to an employee's information, I need to cancel the whole payroll or wait till next time. I understand the reasoning, so this complaint is more directed at the user!

Response from Patriot Software

Replied March 2017

Thank you so much, Stephanie! We put our customers and users first when designing our software. We couldn't be happier to hear that we've made your job easier! Keep sending us feedback--we're listening, and we strive to make our software even better for you.

paule from First Help

User friendly/ Very easy to use software

Patriot is very easy to use software. Employees gets access to update their info anytime, anywhere.

Pros

You have access to you pay stubs are able to print whenever you need them without having to deal with HR.

Cons

My employer has been using this system for over 3 years. I can only remember 1 issue where I was not able to clock out at the end of my shift. That issue was resolved by my employer without them having to call customer service. Beside that, never really had a problem with Patriot.

prentiss from Custom Crafted Cars LLC

Patriot Payroll review

great customer service, price is 80% less than what we paid our previous service adp. we can get through to real people and not be on hold

Pros

great customer service, price is 80% less than what we paid our previous service adp. easy to implement, very intuitive

Cons

the direct deposit functionality is very restrictive. they require that the payroll be processed by monday to be in the employee's account on friday. they use a third party to do the direct deposits.(with adp you can do it right up the the day before payday) i think they need to address this to accommodate a more and more paperless environment. also if you make a mistake on a payroll deduction you cannot go back and edit the deduction after you have entered hours. you have to delete the entire payroll edit the deduction and then re-enter the payroll. very clunky. the alternative would be to approve the payroll void the incorrect check and then re run another payroll. :( To get around the lead time required for direct deposits, you can (1) do an ACH from your company account manually - banks usu charge for this feature or (2) set your employees up in bill pay but this also allows any one who might see a bank statement to also see payroll numbers so you must be careful with the descriptions you give these transactions. the data export to Quickbooks is bogus if you are looking to enter actual accounting numbers in to quickbooks

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,217 reviews