Clio Reviews

4.71 / 5 (1,071)

Our advisors have recommended this product 90 times in the last 30 days

• Pros

• "Easy to use. Good training sessions and support. Good integration wit other Apps."

• "Easy to use, love the document production, clear and concise."

• "Easy to use and very user friendly, even on the mobile app."

• Cons

• "Customization options for home page and lack of deep search. Reporting could be better and easier but overall its a great tool. "

• "The updated calendar on the app took a little getting used to, but otherwise everything has been very user-friendly"

• "Not many complaints--the only thing is that the software recently updated (within the past year or so), and it took some time to adjust."

Browse Clio Reviews

Stephen from Quest Law PLLC

Fantastic Practice Management Solution

Pros

Clio's intuitive design is easy to use for anyone from the tech savy to the "how do I turn this thing on" person. They are constantly adding features and functionality to the software solution making the administrative side of practicing law much easier and less time consuming. Clio's support team is always quick to respond and is always friendly and helpful. The growing list of integrations is definite plus and gives us the ability to extend the already great functionality to the next level. And if you are into coding, you can always create a custom integration to suit your needs.

Cons

Really the only complaint I have about Clio is the reporting capabilities. While it has some great canned reports within the interface, there is no ability to customize reports to massage out information that would be useful to my practice. We make do, of course, but this has been my complaint for some time now. Last time I checked there was a pay integration that allowed for more robust reporting but adding yet another subscription isn't appealing when it would be relatively easy for Clio to add this capability to their platform.

Tanya Mitchell from The Law Office of Tanya Mitchell Graham, P.C.

Industry: Law Practice

Clio has changed my life!

My CFO's timed has been freed up tremendously because we now bill with Clio and she does not have to enter time from all users into a similar computer software. We all can work from anywhere and capture our time with the Clio app! Love it!

Pros

I love the functionality of Clio, and how we can manage time for each user on multiple devices. I not longer have to keep up with my start time for a task, my completion time, the calculation with what portion of an hour was teh time, or completing timesheets for a billing professional to then enter into a software to generate client invoices. Additionally, the billing process has been simplied and can be run from any computer. Further, the ability to keep up with each staff member's productivity is AWESOME! Clio has definitely changed my legal life!

Cons

Getting acclimated was sort of difficult because my rep was new at the time. The regular support team helped us with the remaining onboarding.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Clio had better customer service and unlimited storage space for documents.

Jared from Law Offices of Jared I. Loucel, P.A.

Industry: Law Practice

Review of Clio use and functionality

I have been able to delegate more to my support staff by using the different scheduling and tasking features without giving up on my oversight, since I can verify overdue tasks and completed tasks. Also, my staff has been able to manage my calendar through the case and firm calendar features which allows me to draft more and be able to schedule more hearings. I am in and out of the office most days and the cloud-based aspect of this software and mobile app allows me to keep track of my schedule, access my matters, and contact clients as needed. Overall my experience has been excellent; I moved from using 4-5 programs and apps to manage my practice, to using 2 because of the integration in the Clio suite. I have recommended this software to several friends and have help to train some of them on the basics while they were feeling it out.

Pros

I like the fact that there are different levels of cost for the need of your business. I started with one user on the lower tier, then moved up to include more options and added a user. I like the fact that not only does it provide billing and payment integration, but, at the time I upgraded, it included the monthly cost to use Law Pay (which I have also found helpful).

Cons

I feel there are some personal preferences I would like to use in my reports viewing and accounting. But there was a recent revamp rolled out a few months ago that did address some of my needs. Admittedly, although I have used the product for almost 4 years now, I have not watched all the tutorial videos or called with all of my specific questions, even though with the boutique package there is a dedicated help line.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

I liked the feel of the product and flow of the features better. Also, I have friends who made the switch to Abacus and after they moved all files and information decided it wasn't exactly what they were looking for, but did not want the headache of making another switch.

Steven from Martin law Firm, PL

Industry: Law Practice

Highly motived to get this to work... but it is a nightmare.

Clio has tremendous potential. Their support and sales staff are extremely nice people and I feel terrible writing such a poor review of their product. I am concerned that Clio's development staff lacks experience with developing a robust financial accounting system. I feel the current system has been developed by a bunch of very smart people who have never actually run or operated a business. So many of these glitches are just basic. Previous to attempting to use Clio my firm used Quickbooks Online, Google Apps and Google Drive with an internally developed call management system. It worked well for us but the Clio interface was just beautiful! We are paying about a month now for Clio and I regretfully feel I have made a major mistake with this system. My CPA, however, is quite happy with all the new billables cleaning up the mess this system has caused me.

Pros

Thought was put into the billing and time capture capabilities of the software. Great implementation with Google Drive and the advertising tracking is a brilliant idea. Actually, the entire software package is well designed and has tremendous potential. But...

Cons

But the implementation of all this is not good. The click flow of the user interface is very cumbersome. Basic tasks require far too many user interactions and it is not streamlined. Reporting is basic and requires .CSV dumps of data to recover meaningful information such as a summary of collections in a month for all staff broken down by time keepers. The Quickbooks implementation is a disaster. Trust Account sync creates a journal entry for each debit/credit to your trust bank account whenever you add funds to trust or use trust account to pay a bill. This is all well and good except that in Quickbooks, journal entries are a separate line in the ledger. That results in two lines in the ledger for each transaction. My firm deposits thousands of dollars into our trust account daily and this quickly generates a maze of transactions in our accounts. Where this is more problematic when we do batch deposits because well we don't have just one client a day. So now when I need to reconcile my accounts I need to then go sum up all journal entries and ensure the accounting is correct. Even worse is when writing a disbursement from Trust it seems that the same journal entry process is used to create the draft. The problem is that I cannot print a journal entry from Quickbooks, so we need to hand write the check. Support tells me the work around for this is to deactivate the sync feature and enter the check in Quickbooks manually.

Response from Clio

Replied August 2018

Hi Steven, Thanks so much for taking the time to share your candid feedbackyou raise some excellent points and we're very sorry to hear about your frustration with our Quickbooks integration. We'll have someone from our team reach out shortly to see how we can resolve this for youwe're extremely motivated to keep customers like yourself happy and we'll do what we can to make that happen. If you have any other feedback, please feel free to email me directly at derek.bolen@clio.com. Thanks, Steven!

J.P. from Hoene & Worrell

Industry: Law Practice

Clio is the best option for a solo or small firm law practice

After 3 years, I am still working at discarding habits and practices built up over 25 years as a practicing attorney to better incorporate Clio's feature into my daily work flow. One of Clio's driving philosophy's is to make lawyers more productive with their time, and make lawyers services more accessible to persons that need legal advice. Clio's focus on providing multiple access points, including mobile apps designed from the ground up with these two goals in mind, will pay off for both Clio and my practice in the long run.

Pros

The Clio platform is not intended to be a closed, proprietary system. Instead, it forms the foundation for the day to day management of leads, clients, time, documents, and billing, supplemented by almost 200 third party integrations, with new offerings coming on line each month. Clio offers unlimited cloud storage and IOS/Android apps making all of your firm information, clients, and documents available 24/7. Clio continues to innovate and as the leading provider to small/medium law firms throughout the world, I don't worry about whether they will be in business a few years from now. Finally, all, yes all, of your data saved in Clio is easily exportable should you decide to change to a different vendor.

Cons

Clio's growth means that feature changes must be more fully vetted as they are used by more than 150,000 legal professionals. As they broaden their perspective to encompass larger firms, the pace of change may continue to be more deliberate. The movement and management of files without a third party integration, such as FasterLaw, is cumbersome. Clio's own integrations with Office365 for emails and calendaring remain a work in progress.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Largest user base and least likely to get assimilated or go out of business, forcing another vendor change.

Megan from Momentum Business Law

Long time Clio Manage and Clio Grow Enthusiast

Clio is a very robust and complete practice management tool - we have continually expanded our use of the product as our team has grown and new features have been introduced. We are committed to the product after 7 years and can't imagine switching.

Pros

1) The software is extremely intuitive - I've used 3 different practice management platforms and found this the most intuitive. 2) Feature rich in the sense of file data, allowing the extremely important congregation of information which all team members can access and organize. 3) As a market leader, the number of companies building integrations is large and growing every day. 4) The company is continually building out new features 5) The company is committed to supporting it's customer's business and being a thought leader in innovation in our space, beyond simply their product.

Cons

1) A year in to Clio Grow acquisition, the two products are still operating completely independently - would like to have assurance that the products will become one at some point. 2) More transparency on feature build - it can be a time waste/ cost to implement a different 3rd party solution if Clio is already building that feature for future release. 3) Client portal is not great and not customizable at all.

Michael V. from Mancini Shenk LLP

Clio Makes Our Practice Leaner, Cleaner, and Better

It is one of the best pieces of software in the legal industry (Office 365 and Practical Law are our other favorites) and it is a massive improvement over every practice management solution we've experienced at other firms. We have complete practice management out-of-office and in-office, and it is easy. We love Clio.

Pros

Clio allows us to conduct advanced analytics about our utilization of time, billing efficiency, collections, and revenue. Clio is the application we use to issue monthly invoices for dozens of matters in less than two hours, every month. Clio is a one-stop shop for case and client management, computerized calendaring, document management, timekeeping, and billing. It is the single best tool in our thriving litigation practice, and a mission-critical advantage over traditional law practices. Finally, Clio is improved with new features on a consistent basis. The new features always improve our practice and our lives.

Cons

My minor complaints about the software are merely thoughts on further improvement. I expect they will be implemented sooner rather than later, as that has been past experience.

Stephanie from Futeral & Nelson, LLC

Supreme Case Management Software

Pros

Being able to keep track of clients, matters, expenses, time, documents, and everything in one program.

Cons

I have no complaints about CLIO. However, I did prefer the old interface where I had the option in the lower right corner of the screen to click and open matter that I had recently worked on.

Jean from Brandl Law, LLC

Highly Recommend Clio

I have been very happy with Clio and it seems to do literally everything I need it to.

Pros

What I like about the software is that it is mostly intuitive, but if there is something I can't figure out, the customer service is excellent. The whole system is perfect for me as a solo practitioner.

Cons

Sometimes some of the processes are not intuitive. For example, when I type in the first couple letters of a client's name to enter time in that file, I should be able to press tab to pull it up, but instead I have to go down and click on that name to have it entered.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Highly recommended by other attorneys

Hari from Nimble Legal

Industry: Law Practice

Great for small law practice

We are happy with Clio for now. As we get bigger, we will need more adaptive functionality (like revenue splits between lawyers / teams, for example). Hopefully, the product will evolve by then.

Pros

If you're a lawyer with a big firm background, you'll find Clio has most of the features of whatever law practice management software you were using before. It is fairly intuitive and easy to learn and to train people to use.

Cons

You can't do split revenue allocations, which is a problem when you want your lawyers to cross-sell each other's services.

Eileen Noon from Law Offices Of Eileen Noon Miller, LLC

Why I find a Clio essential

Terrific.

Pros

Why I find a Clio essential Is as a sole proprietor of a small business, Clio operates as my check and balance. The small law firm I was at prior to going on my own used Clio and while I do not use all the features because I do mostly appointed work, the features I do use are essential on assuring me I am on top of my game 99.44% of the time.

Cons

As a very busy person, what I like least about Clio is it operates as a reminder to me that I could probably do a lot more if I ever took the day or two to get all the educated on how to do some of the things I do in a rather long handled manner. I am 60 years old and have been a lawyer for 33 years. I recommend Clio to many of the young lawyers I know just starting out or only a few years in the practice to help them ensure themselves theyre keeping track of their time, their appointments, their clients etc. I point out any problem Ive ever had with Clio was quickly addressed and fixed and that I couldnt be happier. I have to tell them that if I was them and had their computer skills and knowledge this thing would operate all necessary prompting for me I have to tell them that if I was them and had their computer skills and knowledge this thing would operate all necessary prompting for me.

Richard from LAW OFFICES OF GOMEZ & GOMEZ

Best Decision I made was to make the switch

Easier to manage all aspects of a case with CLIO

Pros

Easy to use, customer support is awesome, helpful tutorial videos and great client experience. I have received multiple compliments on the style and ease of paying on-line.

Cons

It was not syncing with QuickBooks when posting to CLIO but that may have been addressed recently. I need to check with my bookkeeper.

Margy from HKM Employment Attorneys LLP

The Future of Cloud Computing in the Legal Industry

Clio has been really helpful organizing a small solo practice and getting that attorney up and running, and then expanding their practice accordingly. It's a great, central location for file management, and being able to use Quickbooks and Clio for billing is spectacular. Clio's client support is stellar, and that is worth a LOT when it comes to case management. Overall, Clio is an excellent choice, and even with my complaints, I do believe it is the standard for the future.

Pros

I really do believe that Clio is the future of legal cloud computing and practice/file management. It's a functional piece of software that allows attorneys and legal staff to manage cases with ease. There are a few things that I find to be useful with Clio: 1. Clio integrates with tons of other software options, including Grow (a CRM management tool). Keeping things "in the family" is really useful and speeds up management. 2. Clio's billing functionality is really nice. It's one of the more functional back end management tools I've seen, and I really like the way it works. You can integrate it with Quickbooks for easy accounting, which we really appreciate and which looks great on the user end (for clients, when they receive bills). 3. Clio sports a really professional interface, which just looks nice when you're working. It looks grown up and sleek, so if someone peeks over your shoulder or you're working while in the vicinity of clients, it doesn't have a preschool feeling to it. 4. Most important - Clio's customer support is incredible. Have an issue? There are videos you can watch, or people you can talk to. They will literally stay on the phone with you for hours as you troubleshoot issues together, or learn something new. Top notch, seriously.

Cons

I do have a few gripes about Clio. If these were addressed, it would get a 5-star rating from me: 1. Mouseclicks. Clio requires so. many. mouseclicks. It is infuriating at times. I realize this sounds stupid, but over time, they add up. I am a huge fan of efficiency, and Clio is one of the most inefficient programs I've used. 2. Workflows. I really enjoy using workflows to track various projects. Clio sucks at workflows. A complete rework of how they approach them, and how they look for interface with the staff who are responsible for executing, would go a LONG WAY toward making Clio a more useful application. I think workflows are really the topic that causes Clio to lag behind other software out on the market. I would like to see something in place that allows a user to create a workflow, move tasks around in the list, add subtasks to tasks, and assign triggering dates, secondary dates, etc. It would also be useful to be able to assign various tasks to various users. Until that's in place, I'll be sad about using Clio. 3. A central location for performing various functions. Clio does have a left-hand toolbar that allows you to do SOME things, but not ALL things. It would be good if, from the left-hand menu, I could do each discrete thing that I can do in Clio by clicking a mouse a zillion times. Once that happens, I'll be happier. 4. Document management. I'm out of room, but it is not idea. Too much downloading/uploading. Dropbox is better (for collaborati

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Clio came recommended by another practitioner who had gone solo and had a great experience.

Christopher from OPLaw, L.L.C.

Industry: Law Practice

A good product, getting better all the time

My overall experience with CLIO has been very positive. Having a system that tracks my cases, especially my time management, has been essential. While I don't love the algorithm used in the metrics, as opposed to just showing me what I have done and earned in whole minutes and dollars, having those metrics lets me see how close I am to meeting my goals. And the billing software is incredible and easy to use. Most of all, I like that the CLIO team seems to understand that there is always room for improvement and is asking its customers and users for feedback, and actually makes improvements. I have been using CLIO for only a year, and CLIO has had two significant improvements in that time, both that were in my view positive adjustments of an already good product. CLIO is some monolithic and static program that you have to take as it is; it continues to grow and improve with user input.

Pros

CLIO does all of the basic things that a lawyer needs a case management software system to do - keeps track of clients, cases, related persons, keeps a calendar of events, even does billing in all the ways a lawyer bills a client. I especially like the document generation software, which allows our firm to efficiently create a large number of similar documents, motions, and other pleadings for our cases. Finally, I appreciate CLIO's ability to customize fields for contacts and matters.

Cons

CLIO is missing some things that I took for granted in other software, the biggest being warning the user when a scheduling conflict occurs on the calendar. For a busy litigation practice that spans several counties in my state, having a automatic conflict warning when I am scheduling would be extremely helpful in ensuring I am never double-booked. One of the things I hope CLIO will consider improving in the future is making their document templates able to be organized or with a search function. As an attorney who works in criminal court, family, court probate court, and civil court, I generate a lot of different documents, and its always a chore going through the list to find the one I need. Even organizing documents by category, which CLIO also permits users to customize as needed, would be an improvement in efficiency. A final thought for improving CLIO would be in the Contacts system, adding a checkbox to permit the use of a work address and other contact information for the contact, both when creating a contact from scratch, or when adding a new contact under a Matter as a related person. Right now, whenever I add a new police officer in my criminal defense cases, even though I have their police department in my contacts, I have to type out the address, phone number, website, etc. in the new officer's contact. A checkbox would save me a great deal of time, or just add the employer contact information as the contact's work addresses as a default.

Sean from Lynch LLP

Best feature set available

Very positive; I love the software.

Pros

Clio integrates with so much other software to make your life easier that is just can't be beat. Saving emails via Outlook, generating document templates, collecting e-signatures on engagement agreementswhatever you need, Clio has it. I can also run billing, monitor bill payments, and overall run the entire law firm with minimal effort, minimal time commitment, and with confidence that everything is running smoothly.

Cons

There are some smaller points that can drive you insane. For example, you cannot customize the look of the emails that go out when you share matters, bill, etc. with your clients. If youlike metransition from a solo practitioner to running a small law firm, you will eventually need to open new bank accounts. Clio will not let you eliminate the old bank accounts and start from scratch. You can't even force the old bank accounts to be otherwise "invisible" to the system so that you cannot accidentally record money moving into a defunct account. This is a minor complaint, but man does it drive me insane. I also still want to see a task assignment that allows me to set a supervisor for each assigned task.

Sue from LevickRoth

Clio's billing system

Overall, our experience with Clio's billing system has been positive - everyone likes the time entry. We are glad we went to Clio, its so much better than that other program we had been using.

Pros

We got Clio specifically for its billing program. Its great that everyone can enter their own time into Clio. I like how Clio does macros [they call them text snippets]. They work without having to use a code key. The software is easy to use for someone like me who is not a bookkeeper and hasnt done a lot of billing before, it takes a little while to learn how to use it correctly, but once you know how things work, its a breeze. The very best thing about Clio, though, is its support staff! They are all great it doesnt matter who Ive talked to they are all quick at getting to the root of my problem and showing me how to fix it. I have called other companies asking questions about their software and sometimes you just dont believe what they tell you. It has never been that way with Clio every one of their support staff is very knowledgeable and can quickly set you straight! Also, Clio is open to suggestions from us and when they get a certain amount of inquiries asking if they could change this or that, they will work on it. We have been using Clio for 2 years next month and there are a couple of things they have implemented that we had requested, which is really cool!

Cons

Spell checking in the billing software is not what it could be it does have the little red underlines if it thinks something is misspelled [like Word], which apparently is easy for some people to ignore. It would be better if Clio had its own dictionary and didnt depend on the one in the browser. In order to do spell checks, we have to: export the time to a CSV file, spread out the column for the description, run a spell check and remember not to correct the errors there, but go back and find each entry in Clio and correct them there. Its a little time consuming, and depending on how many typos each person makes during the month, it can be very time consuming, but its much better than reading the draft invoices word for word and finding the errors that way. It would be great if Clio could add spell checking so that it can be run in Clio without having to export and go back and forth. The only other con we have with Clios billing system is with discounting invoices. It is very easy to discount an invoice by percentage or a dollar amount, but Clio only applies discounts on the total amount of the invoice, including client expenses, not on time spent only, so we usually put in a dollar amount so the discount comes out to the amount we want it to be , although Clio still applies that amount to the entire invoice.

Peter from Law Offices of Peter Sverd, PLLC

All I Need

Terrific, a true game changer!

Pros

Clio provides an all in one suite of applications that are necessary for my law firm to operate. We used to rely on a stand-alone billing software program for our billing and time-tracking. Of course every computer or user we added cost us more money on top of the software itself. When the software became outdated and no longer supported, we had to purchase the latest version. We also relied upon emails to assign tasks, and give each other messages about the cases we were working on together- without a centralized location for the team to track and review each other's notes and progress, each member had to rely upon their own notes, memos, emails, etc. This was inefficient and time consuming. Another fun part of my day was searching for contact information of opposing counsel on particular matters. Often times I would search emails, review the documents on a case, or review documents in the file to get the contact information I needed. Calendaring was also an administrative hurdle. Entering dates in a separate software system led to disorganization, and required jumping around from one program to another to manage information and learn where attorneys were supposed to be. Clio puts all of these functions , and more, under one roof. It has made the work flow in my law firm seamless, efficient, easy, and organized. Clio does it all, and I am truly grateful for this product.

Cons

I would like it to be easier to review the billing entries of other users in real time.

Amber from BDM Law LLP

Industry: Law Practice

Easy to use and great support

The overall experience has been an absolute pleasure. I love it! It makes time recording, billing and credit control very straightforward. It sets out the matter and client information in a very simple and straightforward manner. Support is great too which makes a big difference. Everyone who has joined our company has got on with it with just half an hour of general training. Nobody complains about it.

Pros

Clio is very user-friendly and intuitive. Even if you do not have experience or training on Clio, there is a certain about of functions which you can work out how to use but by having a play with the system. Time recording is very straightforward and it makes our billing easy.

Cons

Downsides are: there is no currency conversation; cannot split invoices on one matter (e.g. we have to 2 or more entities responsible for payment say, 50/50, but there is no way of automatically splitting the invoice; no summary front sheet for an invoice.

Steven from Law Offices of Steven E. Blumenthal, P.A.

Very Satisfied

Very satisfied; excellent product.

Pros

Easy to use -- calendaring, opening new matters, time entries, notes, billing. I like the interface, the way it looks. Program includes trust accounting. Can include/integrate credit card billing as an option which I did, and works well. Have used Law Pay for a while and it integrates through Clio. Send out invoices through Clio, client can click on button to make credit card payment, and have option to have program automatically apply to open invoices when payment comes in -- get email notifications of payments. Very satisfied with the program -- does what I need and enjoy using.

Cons

I don't think it's a negative factor, but don't use the mobile app much, for whatever that means. Tend to just check my iphone calendar (I use Office 365 to integrate, other options also I think like Google to integrate -- Clio integrates with Office 365 and iphone calendar will show Office and Google calendar events). There is a new beta version of the mobile app available for use that looked at today and I like -- I could see using that to make entries if I need while out of the office, but usually just do all of that at my computer in the office.

Tracy from Vaught Law Firm, P.C.

Clio is a mixed bag

The worst is retainers. Without being able to customize my email message globally, I can't use the trust payment request. It just confuses clients. Did I say hours and hours and hours? I will say that their service is fabulous. However, they keep making new abilities that to me are inconsequential compared with retainers. Oh, and not having global text snippets? How hard can that be? I have to go to 8 different users if I add something. Really a waste of time. Fix the real stuff. Then add bells and whistles.

Pros

I love that billing is so much easier, that my team can enter time remotely.

Cons

Clio was not developed by any sort of accountant. The reports are lacking, you can't memorize reports, everything within the software isn't consistent (like using the term everyone one place and all users in another place). The reports are inconsistent with what you can filter by on each report. There are still things where my account names are redundant - like Johnson - Divorce: Divorce. The biggest gripe I have is about replenishing retainers. The retainer replenishments don't get printed on the bill - I know it is because clio payments won't let you make a combined trust/legal fee payment, but they could have one link for anything owed and another link if a replenishment is due. Really - we webt to the moon 50 years ago but we can't figure this out? I spend hours and hours dealing with contacting clients to replenish. Also, way you enter into clio is clunky. I have to pick up my mouse all the time. It needs to be more like quickbooks entry. You never have to pick up your mouse.

Alicia from Bellatrix PC

Best in Class for Small Firms

In addition to what I wrote above, Clio Management's customer service and technical support are great. They are still working out the kinks on the Clio Grow side after acquiring Lexicata (which I also used and was happy to see integrated). I am excited to see what improvements they have in connecting up the two systems.

Pros

I've been using Clio since 2010. I have tried other software over the years. I also originally had to use other software that integrated with Clio, but slowly have been able to reduce subscriptions as Clio built out features. Clio is the best in class, affordable, and the software around which I ultimately chose to build all my systems. I like that Clio allows me to manage the entire client file, including documents and emails, bills, and file shares, all within a single integrated system. Less software is cheaper, easier to manage, helps me capture details, and requires less employee training and management.

Cons

Clio still has some features and kinks to work out. Not everything is intuitive. Its plugin with Outlook is a little slow and I don't like that it strips the attachments from emails when placing them in the file. There still isn't enough flexibility in fee arrangements. It could improve the marketing side quite a bit. And I wish you could edit billing entries in bulk a little easier (especially if you made a mistake in one edit, it doesn't save and you lose ALL your edits -- super annoying). That said, all of these bugs and annoyances get addressed by Clio over time. They continually improve and grow the software. So I don't feel that there are any fatal flaws; just quirks that you learn to work around.

Rosalinda from Law Offices of David L. Olson

Very easy to use

It makes part of my job easier. 1.Attorneys are much more comfortable going into Clio by themselves to enter their time or find information/reports instead of having to wait and rely on me to do it. 2.It's much easier and faster to quickly generate reports that split Time (by keeper) and Expenses. 3.Monthly billing goes by much smoother, invoices go out faster, payments are received much faster than if by mail. Attorney's are happier. : ) 4.Clients like to be able to receive email with link to process payments online.

Pros

Time entries can be imported by batch. Trust Requests and Bills can be emailed w/payment link directly from Clio. Past Due Bills can be "shared" with a coupled clicks versus printing out and mailing or using another app to email it.

Cons

1. When looking at a past due bill (and additional bills have been issued and remain unpaid for that same matter) the Outstanding Balance on the Statement of Account section will update and include the balance due for that matter as of the current date + any open Trust Replenishment requests instead of the balance due for that invoice + the balance due of all invoices issued previously to that one. 2. Evergreen Retainers - I keep getting calls from clients saying they can't view the "Shared" invoice when I have applied Trust funds that covered the whole balance. They can see the Trust Request to replenish funds used/applied to an invoice, but they can't see the actual invoice and review what was billed. I have to print the invoice to PDF and go to my email app and send from there. 3. I would like to see a report that shows that various billing rates per timekeeper for each client/matter.

Kimberly from Beasley Legal, P.C.

Fantastic product!

The experience has been great. The support team is very helpful and made getting set up a quick process, and they've helped solve several operator-error problems along the way. We don't yet use the full capability of what Clio can do, but it's nice to know we have room to grow our practice without outgrowing the software that helps us manage it.

Pros

Clio easily tracks time and expenses, keeps client and matter details organized, generates invoices, and gives us reports that help track our firm's growth. It is easy to learn, easy to use, easy to customize to our practice, and has very helpful and responsive customer service. Since it's cloud based, we can also work remotely as needed. Very glad to have Clio!

Cons

I like most everything about Clio except that it can be slow if our internet service is being slow (not Clio's fault, but it comes with being cloud-based). Every once in a while I find a glitch that frustrates me in creating invoices. Usually, though, chatting with customer support online leads to a) their showing me how to solve my problem, or b) the problem being sent to tech support for fixing in Clio's system.

Lucy from Lucy Dowd Law

Solo Attorney Highly Recommends Clio

Clio has made me much more organized and efficient. My billing process is easier and smoother and I keep better track of accounts receivable. Much easier to track the progress of a file and leads. It is easy to share documents and communications securely with clients

Pros

Clio software is comprehensive and covers everything that I need as a solo attorney to keep my practice running smoothly and efficiently. Clio Grow is a new feature that helps me track leads, lead sources, the intake process, etc. It is very comprehensive and is easily merged with Clio Manage. The Clio help desk is excellent. Answers are always spot on. If they cannot fix my problem, they will honestly tell me that Clio does not have the capability that I'm looking for and they will offer to submit a request for that capability to be considered in the future. Clio is always looking to address customer needs.

Cons

Does not have all of the capabilities that I need but has most of them. Sometimes the queue for the help desk/chat is rather long.

Nicole from The Law Office of Gerald F. Chefalo

Clio Review

Our overall experience with Clio has been fantastic!! The benefit of having all our information (contacts, notes, calendar, documents, etc.) in one program is huge for us as we often end up having to access this information outside of the office. The continued updates that Clio has made since we first began using it several years ago have all been excellent as well.

Pros

The software is easy to use and understand. The transition to Clio from our previous system was relatively seamless and the customer service is fantastic. I like that we can share documents with our clients and are able to see what date and time a client viewed each document. It is also extremely convenient to have our documents stored in Clio so that they can be viewed when we are not physically in the office.

Cons

It would be nice if you could integrate notes from a contact directly into a new matter as you are opening one. Currently, I have to copy and paste each note from the contact into the matter notes. Also, when I put in messages for Mr. Chefalo on people he needs to call back I make a task for him. When he views the tasks on his cell phone, it would be nice if he could simple tap on the phone number in the task and have it directly call the number as opposed to him having to type the number in on his cell phone to make the call. Finally, a client suggested that it would be nice if he had the option to opt in to receiving text messages from Clio any time we share a document with him or generate a bill on his matter.

Justin from Dituri Law Offices, P.C.

What I Like Most About Clio

Clio had a long learning curve. That said, any software that has wide capability will have a long learning curve. However, the support team has been very helpful. It does not work for me to try to read articles to learn how to use the system, I appreciate being able to get someone on the phone or on chat who can simply show me how to do what I want to do.

Pros

As a solo practicing attorney for almost a quarter century, tracking time, preparing and sending out bills has been my least favorite activity, and the place where I have lost revenue and had upset clients. My experience is that clients don't appreciate it when bills are sent timely or when they receive billing after six to twelve months of work - they really prefer regular billing. Clio has revolutionized the billing and collection part of my solo practice environment. Now that I have learned how to create clients and matters and to input time, it is a simple once a month task to create professional monthly client bills which I can print and snail mail, email, or send with the LawPay connection and the client can "click through" the email bill to pay with credit card.

Cons

I cannot figure out how to set up or use the form template function. When I have tried it does not really work and I have stopped trying to use this. I would very much like to create some form engagement letters. My work is mainly transaction, not so much litigation. At first it was difficult to figure out how to prepare a nice looking flat-fee for a project type bill. However, with the updates I have been able to customize bills to have both hourly fee bills and flat-fee bills.

Michelle from Michelle K. Smith, Attorney at Law, PLLC

Review of Clio From Attorney Owner At Small Firm

I recommend Clio to solo and small firm attorneys. It has a lot of features that you may not use but it is nice to have the option. In spite of its many features, Clio is easy to use. My billing and collections went up when I switched to Clio because logging time and billing is very easy and the gmail feature makes sure I remember to bill for mass of emails I receive each day. My calendar, matter and contact information is available quickly wherever I am. Clio has improved my efficiency and made my work day easier.

Pros

Clio is very fast, even when I am accessing the full website on my ipad. I love the new add on for Gmail that allows me to bill directly to Clio from the email and even save the mail to Clio if I want. The program feels modern. The program is easy to use in spite of the many many features. I have three staff members, one under 30, one under 50 and one in her 70s. All three are able to easily use the program. I like the third party apps that work directly with Clio such as Dropbox, Invoice Sherpa , Gmail and Fastcase. Customer service is very responsive and Clio is constantly receiving significant upgrades.

Cons

Based on all of the options and information available in Clio I am still surprised by the minimal reporting capabilities in the practice management side of the program. The basics are there but in my opinion there are many helpful reports that are missing. Even if Clio does not want to add additional reports, making an option for the user to create custom reports would be a good alternative. Clio added an option to require and maintain an evergreen retainer. That is very helpful, however, you have to send a separate request to the client for the evergreen retainer to be replenished. It would be much more helpful if you had the option to include the evergreen retainer request on the client invoice. My clients get confused when they receive a billing invoice and then on the same day or some days later yet another invoice with a new request for retainer replenishment.

Response from Clio

Replied September 2019

Thank you for the review, Michelle! Glad to see the software is serving your team well. We've shared your feedback on reporting with the Product Team, which will be very helpful for future improvements. The team will reach out if they require further context.

Joseph from The Privacy Firm PC

Clio is an essential part of this law firm

Pros

Having direct access to the company, and the developers is a huge benefit to using Clio. If there's something that's not quite right, there's usually an easy fix or workaround, and you don't have to wait around for days or weeks to get a response from support. As far as the software itself, we love the nearly limitless integration ability of Clio, and the fact that they're always adding/improving features, like CourtRules, which is essential to our litigation practice.

Cons

We've been powered by Clio since 2011, and at the time, subscription software was a new concept, which took me a while to warm up to. Eight years later, however, everything requires a subscription, so this is a non-issue. I can only think of two things that I wish Clio would come up with a fix for: (1) ability to merge duplicate contacts; and (2) bring back the ability to have a less expensive subscriptions for non-attorney users.

Response from Clio

Replied September 2019

Thank you for the feedback, Joseph! We've shared your feedback with our Product Team. Though a one-click merge contact option isn't currently available, the steps listed here will help you achieve the same results (hope this helps!): https://support.clio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002325034-Is-There-a-Way-to-Merge-Contacts-

Tami from Matt Cohen and Associates LLC

Clio in our law firm

Our greatest benefit to date was when we added the payment links to our invoices and the speed we are now getting paid by clients. They love the online ability to pay for their bill and we love the speed it's processed in. The ease that the monthly billing process has become has also freed up a tremendous amount of time for staff.

Pros

The Clio platform was very easy to implement with our firm's daily usage. The onboarding process was smooth and the learning and transition for staff were easy. The software is meeting our firm's needs on a daily basis. I also appreciate that they listen to suggestions and continue to improve and add features throughout the year. Clio has allowed our monthly billing process to go from a day-long process to an hour process.

Cons

Some of the reporting features need to be fine-tuned or added to. My biggest pet peeve is the limit of 50 items to a page, so you update to 200 but it defaults back to 50 every time you move around between pages.

Response from Clio

Replied September 2019

Thank you for the feedback, Tami! We've submitted your reporting recommendation to the Product Team for review. They will be sure to reach out if they require further context.

Lovedip from Sandhu Injury Legal Services

Clio Review July 9, 2019

The speed of creating standard letters is not a feature that most other programs have. I research 3 other programs and used 1 legal software program for about a year. I have been able to save time and speed up common tasks with Clio. Also, in the past i have had to use multiple platforms to perform legal work. Now i only relay on Clio

Pros

compared to other software on the market, Clio is very user friendly I can access it from anywhere in the world customer service is quick with providing answers to questions

Cons

on the mobile app, the documents are difficult to access because if the name of the document is too long, you may not know which document it is.

Marie from Rain & Zepp, PLC

Clio Review

My overall experience has been positive. There are plenty of resources for day to day activities and for more complex matters the live support has been indispensable. I find it easy to navigate and learn.

Pros

Initially it was a better system overall than the systems we were trying to make fit our needs (Timeslips and Sharepoint). Subsequently, the updates that are implemented by the development team when there is an obvious need or lack identified.

Cons

I did not like that the billing of outstanding balances was not automated during billing runs to capture all outstanding balances so anyone who does not have a current bill still gets a bill when I do not enter a start time as a filter option. I also do not like that I have to clean up so much on the Quickbooks Online end of a Retainer transfer, especially after a billing run when its many clients at once, it creates a lot of work in the Retainer in Trust register in QBO.

Stephen from Cortes Law Firm

Changed my practice

Pros

Clio has been a game changer for my practice. Before I would write my time on a sheet of paper (sometimes any paper within reach) and hope it got entered at some point before the end of the month. Now, I immediately enter my time either on my computer or iPhone. A phone call, client conversations, anytime I work on a file it immediately gets entered into Clio. At the end of the month, Billing is a breeze. I am able to see all of my Billable Clients for the month and with a few clicks, they are all sent out by either email or Clio Connect. My clients can pay with their credit cards, and many times they have paid overnight before I even get to the office the next day. I remember when I first switched to Clio about 80% of my accounts receivable paid within the first week. My clients also like the billing detail with separate time, attorneys, and expenses. I have been able to create custom invoices to comply with some of my government contracts, which require invoices to look a certain way. We are also big fans on the integration with Office365. The software automatically creates a client folder on OneDrive when a new matter is opened. This has been a huge help in keeping everyone working on the same files and storing documents in the correct client folder. Also, the Outlook plugin has been great to keep all emails received and sent copied to the client's matter. I do not know how many times I have easily found an email related to a client matter.

Cons

I wish there was better integration with Infusionsoft (now Keap). There is a way to connect using third parties, but it would be nice to only enter client information once.

Gary from Hill Law Firm PLC

Clio Is The Best

I have not had a single issue with Clio. I have used it now for three years. My bills look sharp and the time/activity record keeping is flawless, which helps when I have to push to get paid. The trust accounting is redundant and airtight. I am looking forward to developing my practice and I know that Clio is expanding its range of functions at a rate faster than any of my needs. Clio is leading the industry in coordinating with third party vendors (Lawpay, Outlook etc) to make Clio even more functional and efficient.

Pros

There is much to like about Clio. Their customer support is first rate and comprehensive. For example, learning to manage trust accounting and the creation of regular client invoices are critical and time sensitive activities. During my first year with Clio, I would call customer service at the end of each month as I encountered small mistakes I made in billing or accounting. Clio was always there willing to patiently walk me through my steps to help me fix my errors. The billing and accounting features are redundant and it is almost impossible to make a mistake that cannot be fixed. Time entry is simple and efficient.

Cons

I love the ease of use with respect to creating bills and managing trust accounting. On a different level, I have confidence that Clio is on the cutting edge of technology and software developments. As is evidenced by their annual conference, Clio is a leader in the industry. My investment in time learning this platform will continue to pay dividends as I mature as a solo practitioner. I am a veteran litigator but I recently opened my own practice. Clio has been the one indispensable tool to my new practice.

Candace from Werth Law LLC

I have been so impressed with Clio. There is so much it can do and the customer service is amazing.

There are too many to mention. I was only looking for conflict management software and didn't know if I needed a case management software because I am a solo attorney that is just starting out. It turns out that Clio does so much more. The timer feature lets you track work on different matters and easily switch to a different matter when a phone rings or interruption happens. You don't lost time. The billing is clean, neat and easy. After that you can move on to so many other options -- document automation, cloud storage, phone logs, email logs, quick and easy email drop. I have been here less than a year and I wouldn't switch. I am so pleased with Clio and how it makes the business end of practicing so much easier.

Pros

What is best? There is so much. The Dashboard (to see instantly how the I am doing, and for each client so I can see how much time and billing has occurred on each matter and easily find the information I need); Time keeping, invoicing, secured email, email drop (to easily put emails into client matters in Clio and free up inbox space, ) and DOCUMENT TEMPLATES with Custom Fields -- I have automated my engagement letter, a basic client letter, will forms, POAs, etc. It saves so much time. To write a letter and not have to look up an address or block/copy it is so nice. You generate the document and edit to start typing the body right away. It requires work on the front end but in the end it is worth it. Also, the customer service being one click on a chat icon away is great. They are so friendly and talked me through invoicing each month for the first few months.

Cons

The customer service and training videos are great but sometimes it feels like an Easter egg hunt to find out what all it can do. I spent the first 8 months just keeping time and doing invoicing. I knew it did other things but wasn't sure what and how. Once I started digging around I have been amazed at what all I have found. It has saved so much time and made things for a solo attorney so much easier. I am sold.

David from David Myers Law

Industry: Law Practice

Best all-in-one solution out there

It's a major time saver. It's great for billing, keeping tabs of your time, costs associated with a file, trust money for each file, docketing, contact lists, and all the rest. It feels a bit short/incomplete in some areas, but they keep improving it so hopefully that will happen soon. It's still the best damn law practice software out there, and I've searched high and low!

Pros

- Easy to use and learn - Easy to show others to use - Really easy billing features - Great organization - The Notes feature is fantastic and replaces any need for docketing and memos to file - The "add time" feature makes it easy to keep track of billings and what's to go on the next invoice - The linking of contacts to files is a time saver - The Calendar is easy to use and does what you need it to - The accounting that exists is great for keeping track of the movement of money directly connected with a file. It has helped keep my trust accounting immaculate. IT also helps me keep track of expenses associated with each file.

Cons

Clio is fantastic and the best solution I've been able to find, and I've done a lot of searching both before and after buying Clio. That said, Clio seems half finished in some areas and I'm hoping more work will come. - The accounting is adequate, but should go a lot further than it does. I would love an integrated cheque writing program, for example. - I don't know why you can't have more than one client per file. It's a small thing, but it bugs me. I put additional clients in the "contact" list associated with the file, and just pick one as a primary client to list. It doesn't matter, but again, it's a weird oversight. - The firm metrics is a great idea, but it seems half finished. I don't know why, but it doesn't save stuff year to year and just dumps the information. There's also a dramatic lack of ability to customize things. This is frequent in some of Clio's features, such as how to list matters or client names. It's not a deal breaker, but it's a weird thing to not make more usable. Overall, Clio is a fantastic program and I don't know how I'd run my practice without it. It's a lot better than everything else I've tried. I just wish the damn thing integrated with more programs and capabilities, and that they just expanded on it. I think the reason why it's frustrating is because it's so close to being sort of perfect, and they just don't go far enough. Hopefully they'll keep adding to it and raise it to that level! It's definitely worth the buy.

Jared from Law Offices of Stephen C. Brown & Associates

Customer service makes all the difference.

All the information you need at your fingertips, anywhere in the world. Hassle-free and comprehensive customer service.

Pros

Packed with features. There is just so much that can be done with this software that a firm might not have thought to do with some of the older software platforms. Everything is secure and designed from a legal professional's viewpoint. Every person in our firm can handle a case from start to finish without leaving the Clio platform -- anywhere, anytime. Also, the customer service should not be overlooked. When we were researching various platforms to take over for Time Matters (Practice Panther, Rocket Matter, MyCase, etc.) Clio was the only company that had a knowledgable onboarding professional at the ready. They were incredibly flexible with letting us extend our demo phase and spent many hours running through different functions with us. They even held a full-scale training session with our entire staff BEFORE we had signed up. Even after we purchased Clio, they continued to hold our hand through the entire implementation process. That sort of service made our transition into the cloud seamless and allowed us to really take advantage of cost-savings that we were aiming for.

Cons

The only issue that we've had so far is personalizing the goals on the dashboard page. It would be nice to have a more granular and specific revenue analysis for each attorney. Granted, we are still implementing other more important features firm-wide, so this hasn't been the highest priority, and it's more of a luxury anyway.

Owen from The Law Offices of Owen Hathaway

Industry: Law Practice

Fantastic value, modern software, steadily improving features

I've been using Clio since 2011 to help me run my solo practice. I use it primarily for calendaring , time tracking, and billing. Those features are fantastic. Almost all of my billable time is calendared, and Clio lets me add time right to those events and assign it to a matter right from the calendar. I cut my administrative time to bill clients by 40% the first time I used Clio, and it's now down roughly 90%. I love that Clio lets me use third-party software with it rather than forcing users to rely on less convenient built-in solutions. For instance, Clio creates a folder for each client and matter for me in Box.com where I can work on my clients' documents using the rich feature set of Box. Clio Documents is okay for sharing with Clients, but there's no way they could replicate Box. There are two things I really wish Clio would improve. First is the ability to natively support joint representation. I do some consumer bankruptcy work, and many of my cases are joint petitions. The Clio solution is to add one of the joint parties as a 'related party'. Strictly speaking, this is not a related party, but my actual client. I can note the relationship type, so it works okay for conflict checks, but I'd rather the software reflect the real legal relationship. The other has to do with transaction tracking and integration with bookkeeping software. Maybe I just need to learn how to do this better, but I end up doing double work in Clio and Quickbooks for expenses and trust accounting. Bills and payments integrate, but the details, which are important for accounting disclosures, are manual in Clio. All in all, Clio continues to be the best option for me. I'm very mobile, so a SaaS/Cloud solution is absolutely required. The features were very basic when I started using it, but the folks at Clio are constantly releasing new functionality, improving existing functionality, and integrating new useful apps. Oh yeah, I'm a bit of a tech geek, so having access to an open API is extremely tempting to me. I've done one integration with Zapier, and I have some ideas for other things I might do directly with the API. Highly recommended.

Pros

SaaS platform, integrations with useful software like Box.com and NextChapter (bankruptcy service), comprehensive workflow features

Cons

Detailed expense accounting is cumbersome, joint representation is not natively supported

Jonathan from Nazette, Marner, Nathanson & Shea, LLP

Really great!

My firm has been using Clio for just under 4 years. I have watched Clio grow a great deal in that amount of time. I am very pleased that Clio has regularly updated its service and added new features. Although the changeover was a challenge (what software migration isn't?), everyone in my firm now uses Clio quite happily. Of course, there are always things that I would like to see improved, but I have no major gripes. Reporting options could be more robust. It would be nice to see some sort of feature that would help to avoid duplication of contacts (a common problem for us). It is also disappointing that Clio chose to tier its services such that we no longer have access to all of the features. We would have to pay more to get access to all of the features, which we have deemed not worth the investment at this time. I can't say enough good things about their customer support. They have always been quick to answer and are ready to help us with any problems we have had. Fortunately, once we got everything converted over, the issues or questions we have had since then have been few and far between. In my opinion, Clio should be on everyone's short list for a web-based practice management system!

Pros

The features that are offered by Clio are second to none. The system is easy to use. The interface is nicely designed. They offer mobile applications, which I use frequently. Can handle firms of any size.

Cons

I would like to see Clio offer more reporting options. Clio doesn't have an attorney-centric view. It would be nice to have Clio "lock in" on the fact that I always want to see reports, bills, etc. for only my matters. I don't ever need to see matters, reports, bills, etc. that don't belong to me.

June 2016

Amber from BDM Law LLP

June 2016

Simple, flexible and user-friendly

Right from the outset I have found the support at Clio to be fantastically helpful. It's a big decision working out which product is right for your particular business. Clio, as you expect from most companies in the beginning, were great at informing us what Clio could do and answering our initial questions. However, what I am really impressed about it the continued support from Clio. It does not matter who you speak to, they are friendly, knowledgeable and will do all they can to help you. And if they don't know, which is rare, they will find out and get back to you. And they do get back to you! Plus every phone call is followed up with an email. With regard to the product itself, it is pretty easy to use. Most things are quite logical and therefore you can work it out fairly simply. I am of the view that no product is perfect as every business will have different requirements. In the case of Clio, there are a few very minor things we would like to see available. Clio are continuously developing and improving the product and, I think, everything we have enquired about that is not already a function of Clio, is in the pipeline. However, it is still great for us as it is but we always strive for perfection!

Pros

I love the simplicity and flexibility of Clio. It is very user friendly and the way it looks is very neat. It does not take long to work out exactly what you are looking at and what it all means. For me personally, I do a lot of billing and compared with a previous software package, Clio has saved me a lot of time and it's really easy to keep track of where you are as it automatically incorporates a workflow. Also, setting up new cases is easy and flexible. You are easily able to incorporate your own requirements and information.

Cons

This is quite specific but for us, the biggest drawback is not being able to present the invoice in exactly the way we want (i.e. a front cover summary of figures without the time description wording). There is a lot of flexibility on the invoices which is great but the one thing we can't do is take the wording away from the first page. Our company like to keep the first page of the invoice very simple and clear and then have the narrative on the following pages. We understand, however, that this is being developed by Clio and should be rolled out some time in the next couple of months or so.

Lori from The RayNa Corporation

Great Bang for Your Buck

Clio offers a ton of features for a very, affordable price. No need for hefty servers or IT departments, simply utilize their unlimited document storage and secure client portal to easily store and share documents, invoices, etc. While a huge fan of cloud-based practice management, Clio earns high marks from me as one of the easiest to learn. Whether you use Clio for the basics or customize it to its fullest - Clio adds not only efficiency to your practice - it's like adding a staff member. Conflict checking, matter specific info at your fingertips, document automation and integrations with over 50 third-party apps means you can easily build Clio to meet your firm's specific needs. But just to prove I am a real person giving real feedback - I gave a 4 on the features and functionality section simply because there are minimal reporting features in Clio. Basic reports are available (Work in Progress, Productivity and Accounts Receivables) but for more intensive reporting options, additional work is required utilizing exporting options. I also don't love the current option for entering contacts, however, I simply connected my Clio account to a Google account and import my contacts from Google. Works like a dream and keeps me from doing tons of data entry when entering new contacts. Clio is well worth the money at any level! I always suggest at least the Boutique level (well worth the additional funds) and see lots of value in the Elite level (marketing/CRM module that will help you actually track what is working and what isn't)!

Pros

Ease of use, fantastic customer support (including building of features based on client feedback), document automation and custom task lists.

Cons

Minimal reporting options and contact entry.

John from John Gear Law Office LLC

September 2016

Clio will never be perfect, but continuously improving is all we can hope for in software anyway

Over five years ago, while still in my first year of solo practice (6 years after first bar admission), I tried another product advertised to work for Mac users and it was a nightmare, so I resolved to try Rocketmatter and Clio; for whatever reason, I found I preferred the look and feel of Clio, and have been with it since. It's the first program I open every day and the last program I shut down when I go home. I am a true solo with no staff support still, and am just now tip-toeing into hiring some staff support - Clio makes it easy for me to use remote support, work-from-home assistants, etc., which is great for keeping the overhead low and the ROI on it high.

Pros

The integrated suite of functions

Cons

1) There are some known glitches that result from the cloud exchange of data that don't seem to be getting corrected. 2) The UI should be more customizable within the total Clio palette of functions and features. I'm very oriented towards being able to do everything with keystrokes as efficiently as possible, and Clio isn't there yet in its usability. 3) I'm growing increasingly concerned about my inability to access my data following a big natural disaster (such as the Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake). Clio needs to offer a function that will allow lawyers to use Clio in "isolated/local only" mode (i.e., with no internet connection to the mothership) and then sync all the changes once the internet is restored. If I ever leave Clio it will be because of this concern. In the event of a big disaster recovery, I should be able to keep practicing as much as possible just like I am now, even if Clio and the Internet are not available.

Matthew from Law Office of Matthew Scott Martin, LLC

My experience with Clio

Clio is allowing me to be more efficient in my use of time, which then allows me to get more work done. Then, I save time doing additional work, which then allows me to get even more work done. Clio is constantly striving to upgrade and improve the system. Sometimes they are a little slow at integrating new features, but I understand that there is only so much they can accomplish in a given space of time.

Pros

What I like most about the software is the court calendaring feature, which sets up deadlines in the Clio calendar. I also like that Clio is continuously upgrading and improving the program, including making the program easier to use. Also, I appreciated that Clio saw a real good thing in Lexicata, to which I subscribed, and bought the company and integrated it into the Clio product. As a solo practitioner, I am doing more and more outsourcing. For example, I have a contract paralegal, and the Clio license for my contract paralegal is well-worth the price. Also, I just found out that Clio and LawClerk.Legal have a 3rd party app partnership, and so I signed up for LawClerk.Legal and am looking forward to see how well the program integrates with Clio. The relationship should make billing for the "law clerk" or associate attorney seamless, at no extra cost to me on the Clio end.

Cons

The template system does not allow for the entry of variable information into a document during the merge process.

Douglas from Bailey | Stock | Harmon | Cottam | Lopez LLP

Don't do it without Clio

Pros

Clio is the best practice management system out there. It will allow you and your team to be productive and efficient from wherever you practice - at home, in the office, or out of a hotel room while you're taking depositions in another state. It has all the features you need for a successful and robust practice.

Cons

Document management continues to get better but still lags behind other document management platforms like Box or Dropbox. That's okay though because Clio integrates with other technologies and platforms so that you can continue to use the ones you like and still work seamlessly within Clio.

Ben from Law Office of Benjamin V. Platon II

Industry: Law Practice

Clio is a very good practice management platform

I like Clio for what it does, and there are user based improvements rolled out regularly. It has integration capabilities with plenty of other business apps. I use two integration apps, one for email capture, document storage and it integrates with my estate planning software.

Pros

I like the cloud based cross-platform capability to access client, matter & calendar info

Cons

Cloud based has hiccups where I cannot access info. It has happened to me twice in a year and a half of use.

Jennifer from Stotler Hayes Group, LLC

We love CLIO!

I have had a wonderful overall experience with CLIO and everyone associated with the product.

Pros

I started with our firm in October of 2018. Prior to starting here, I had worked as a paralegal in large corporations and never for law firms, so I was unfamiliar with most legal software. Having no experience with CLIO before, I was able to jump right in and found the system to be very easy to learn, easy to use, and intuitive. I have unofficially become the CLIO point of contact for our firm and have found that even if theres something that I dont know when a question is asked of me, CLIO makes it easy for me to find the answer. In my time here, I have found that the CLIO team, and especially CSR, are extremely professional and responsive if we ever need anything. They also consistently reach out to us to get our input on new and exciting products and add ons to see how we might benefit from future use of such. Additionally, we recently added CLIO Grow to our profile and are excited to utilize it to continue growing our firm and client base. Overall, we are extremely pleased with CLIO and are excited to continue using and exploring how this product can help us reach new heights of case management, customer service, and new client onboarding!

Cons

I'm really hoping CLIO can upgrade their reporting capabilities. Especially surrounding custom fields and our ability to export them. We would love to be able to customize our reports easily that right now, are a pretty manual and time consuming process due to the lack of reporting functionality within CLIO.

Jonathan from 303 Legal, P.C.

Clio is the Leader of the Pack

I have been using Clio for about 6 years. It has grown so much in that time. I am very pleased with the direction they have taken the product and I can't wait to see what else they come up with!

Pros

Clio is repeatedly at the top of the charts for available features. Clio is constantly working to improve their service and adding new features and functionality. We have had no problems to speak of. Any issues that we have had have been related to finding a particular option or feature.

Cons

I wish that Clio would support more advanced document generation. At present, it just does mail-merge-type generation. Substituting fields in Clio with a field indicator in a Word doc. I would love to be able to get rid of HotDocs and use Clio instead, but it just can't match what HotDocs can do. The other feature that I wish it supported is the ability for external uses (clients) to fill out forms or data, which can then be stored in Clio.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Clio has more features, functionality, and integrations than the competition.

Brett from Cragun & Cragun

Clio Review

Our firm has a great experience. We have a single program which manages our entire practice. The new ClioGrow program even assists with lead generation.

Pros

This is an all inclusive practice management program which has great features and several integrations. It does everything needed to operate a law practice.

Cons

There is a learning curve to implement all of the features, but most programs would have a similar situation.

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Clio is an overall better product.

Joshua from ChancoSchiffer

Industry: Law Practice

The best option for our firm

We have been very pleased and are going to expand our use over the next 6 mo nths

Pros

It is an industry standard and has a lot of options included in the flat rate. I like how easy the easy parts are to use, as we are not the most tech savvy office.

Cons

The mobile app is terrible and the billing app is tough to use. I do not find the GUI intuitive for may items, but that might just be me

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Industry standard. It really is the best option out of many competitors

Adam from Granholm & Gynac LLC

Industry: Law Practice

An absolute necessity for modern law practice

Pros

Clio provides an awesome, constantly evolving practice management software solution for the small or medium sized law firm. The software allows attorneys and legal support staff to manage client information; keep track of time; push out bills; and run a number of different reports. Clio allows my own practice of two attorneys and one paralegal to work incredibly efficiently. Without Clio, I'd probably have to have at least one more staff member on payroll, just to do all the things that the product does for us.

Cons

If Clio could somehow integrate better with Quickbooks and/or Dropbox, that would be amazing. But I really have no complaints about the software. It's very useful even in its current format.

Nina from Yakima Law, PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

Perfect Software for Law Practices!

Overall, Clio is an amazing software. It's easy to work with whether you're a computer wizard or not. I've trained several new employees who have not had any issues with Clio and have caught on real quick. Because of how easy, fast and organized Clio is, I 100% recommend this program.

Pros

This software is perfect. I like how it keeps client files, notes and funds along with other features organized. I like that we are able to share secure files with clients and that clients are able to make secure payments. Customer service when I can't figure something out or simply having issues with the software is amazing. No matter what the issue is if any at all, you have easy access to online videos and round the clock help that are able to help you right away. I love the new beta application and the upgrade that was recently done to the dashboard and the fact that if there is an issue with Clio or maintenance we get a notification letting us know right away.

Cons

The one thing that I found a bit confusing as well as some of our clients are the invoices. Sometimes there a little hard to read. However, once you get used to viewing them more frequently you obviously get the hang of it. To be more specific, the confusing part of an invoice is the bottom of the invoice the "Detailed Statement of Account." Either way, it's not a daily thing when explaining these to client's. However, that being said, Clio is very good at following up with any issues that anyone experiences in a quickly and professional manner to ensure we as a client/user are having a great experience.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,023 reviews