• Pros

• "The gradebook is super useful and rather user friendly. "

• "This is a great LMS, the best right now in my opinion. The design is great and easy to navigate with little instruction. "

• "It is a great place for me to communicate with students and for them to communicate with each other if they have questions. "

• Cons

• "Sometimes it goes down so that would be the only issue that I see with it. Other then that it is a great program. "

• "This software can be kinda expensive, but for everything you get from it I would say it's worth it. "

• "It has too many options for technology limited instructors. Yes it's simple, but it does require some basic tech know how. "

Browse Schoology Reviews

Brian from Colorado State University Global Campus

Engagement Promotes Student Retention

While Facebook has had some bad press regarding privacy here lately, the overall impact and popularity of social media in general and Facebook in particular is undeniable and has become a permanent part of online culture. Why? Because Facebook is, by design, set up in such a manner that it is both extraordinarily easy to use and navigate around, and because it has a well-documented tendency to "suck you in" - it keeps you engaged with the platform. It's easy. It's interesting. It's fun. It's entertainment. So what does that have to do with Schoology, you ask? Immediately after registering for my Schoology account provided by my grad school (MBA student), I was very surprised to see what looked and felt just like Facebook, but with an academic focus. The main feature is the user's feed, which looked and felt exactly like any social media feed. It contained posts from the school admin and financial aid, posts from instructors with information, videos, etc., pertinent to the current material, and posts from fellow classmates asking questions so classmates and the instructor could all interact on the thread. Users are able to "Like" a post or even direct message others in a private, Messenger-style chat feature. Surrounding the feed are links to everything the student needs for college success, from financial aid to wellness. Simply put, Schoology's brilliant adaptation of a popular technology makes studying easy, interesting, fun, and entertaining.

Pros

Schoology is academia's answer for engaging with today's social media obsessed generation of students.

Cons

I can virtually ALWAYS come up with something that I didn't like, Schoology however is one of those few exceptions. For the sake of entering a "con" however, I will say the one lacking feature I did wish users had would be an option to switch from the blaring white to a dark mode type theme. Helpful for battery life when using mobile devices and also more conducive for night-time study and eye health. After all, many students are working while studying, leaving night time as their only option to get their classwork done.

Schoology - Powerful, but User Friendly LMS

Schoology has been a game changer for us. As a district that previously used an open source alternative, we really took a risk by rolling out a new product that was not free. Teachers have really embraced the platform, which is allowing us to move toward a model where learning is individualized and focused on the needs of the learner.

Pros

Schoology feels like a social media platform. It's easy to use and makes sense when you're using it. It has a tremendous ability to be extended with integrations with Google, Microsoft, etc. and connects well with other learning platforms that are important in K-12 settings.

Cons

At the enterprise level, sometimes support the can be lackluster when dealing with things such as the synchronization between Schoology and PowerSchool. On the positive side, we anticipate with PowerSchool's purchase of Schoology that this might improve over time.

Schoology Review from Admin Side

I would recommend Schoology for teachers that have a good understanding of technology. The price is a bit much but it does a lot if the teachers are willing to spend the time on it.

Pros

Schoology is a very good LMS and is very versatile. I allows my teaching staff to communicate with their students on a regular basis. It also helps my teachers with parent communication. The program is also nice for students that have been absent or that are going to miss school for sports or a vacation.

Cons

The cross over from our SMS to this program is not always smooth and is a bit frustrating at times.

Courtney from Self-Employed

Terrible app even worse customer service

Terrible app with even worse customer service

Pros

It was easy to manage my son's schooling.

Cons

It's clunky you have to go in and out to see different grades instead of being under one easy tab. Don't even think of forgetting your password. There is no reset function available and when you ask for help you get a super snarky email. I will copy and paste Hi Cmac0521, We are no longer accepting ticket submissions from Basic users. Helpdesk ticketing support is a feature of our Enterprise subscription. You can see whats included in Enterprise here. To support our millions of free (Basic) users, we have invested in providing you easy access to better support resources, like the newly launched Schoology Guide Center. We also recommend visiting the Schoology Help Center where you can access a wealth of information about Schoology as well as engage with our member Community. Not sure if youre a Basic account holder? Instructors: if you see the word Upgrade in the upper left corner of your Schoology account of your account - that means youre Basic! Parents and Students: check with your instructor! Sincerely, Schoology Support Basically "you didn't pay we don't want to help you, go annoy the school. You're Basic LOL" - Schoology "customer service"

Connect Learners and Content via Schoology

Schoology has been essential in our school's mission to be more agile and flexible when thinking about how we schedule and deliver courses to students. It is a major component of our success in meeting our goals.

Pros

Schoology is a turn-key solution for any school, college, university looking to deploy blended/hybrid learning or develop online courses. Schoology allows for increased communication, collaboration, and connectedness among your class, content, and students. It is extremely easy to use, set up, and navigate for both instructors and students. Its integration with both Google and Microsoft365 increase the efficiency of assignment collection and grading than ever possible in a class without a Learning Management System. Schoology also provides a free version of their platform for teachers who may not be within an organization able to fund the full Enterprise version.

Cons

Schoology needs to devote more of its engineers to expanding the platforms LTI integrations and UI to surpass its competitors.

Sarah from DUXBURY PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Schoology

Schoology has allowed me to hear from students I wouldn't have before. It also has been supportive of us developing and rolling out quality professional development for teachers.

Pros

This LMS is a fantastic tool to integrate technology into the classroom in a way that supports learning and instruction. It is flexible enough to meet any type of classroom's needs- and there is so much room for the educator to be creative in designing their online experience for students.

Cons

I think learning how to leverage the best components of the LMS take time, and that can be hard to find as effectively as possible.

Reasons for Choosing Schoology

We thought it was most supportive of the variety of needs we had across many grades.

Sean from Grace E Metz Middle School

Schoology - Making Learning Better for Students

Fantastic! Students and parents LOVE the communication and assessment transparency. Also, teachers find that it makes their practice more efficient and more effective.

Pros

Schoology is a streamlined LMS that is easily adaptable and integrates well with other products and resources.

Cons

We are not subscribers of the Assessment Management Platform they offer. We will most likely look into it when it has had a few years.

Jennifer from Vbcps

Schoology to the Rescue

Pros

Schoology is a one stop shop for instructional technology! From assignments to assessments, Schoology gives teachers an all-in-one platform to foster collaboration and personalization. It is also easy to use for both teachers and students.

Cons

Schoology is constantly improving so there are few drawbacks, but when something needs attention they are responsive.

Reasons for Choosing Schoology

Their attentiveness to our districts needs.

David from Kanawha County Schools

Learning management system

Schoology allows our school to link assessments to standards. This makes it easy for our staff to identify struggling concepts.

Pros

Our teachers love that they can post assignments on schoology and have their students email it back to them. It also allows them to organize their materials in folders, which makes accessing important documents easy.

Cons

Schoology is a great learning management system.

Michael from Minnesota State Colleges and Universities

Practical and Parent-friendly

Schoology provides an innovative and user-friendly platform for students and teachers alike. It is frequently updated and offers a good support network. The main drawback is that it cannot be integrated or ported to support other LMSs, such as Brightspace. This limitation is a drawback if students are required to use multiple LMSs in their schools.

Pros

User-friendly interface Aesthetically appealing menus Excellent toggling and response times Parents have access

Cons

This is an alternative to Google Classroom, Moodle, and other LMSs. As such, it cannot be easily integrated with LMSs that might be present for other courses, such as concurrent enrollment.

Nick from Ramapo Indian Hills High School District

Number 1 LMS on the Market

Overall, I can't imagine my experience both teaching using Schoology and leading professional development for teachers without Schoology. It has afforded me an opportunity to totally revamp my district's PD to something more teacher centered, self paced, and differentiated, by putting together an online database of modules tailored to our specific district needs.

Pros

This is hands-down my go-to LMS for education. Having used a variety of LMS programs out there, and having come from some such as Google Classroom, and 3DGameLab, Schoology is top notch. Constantly being updated, Schoology helps transition the focus from the teacher to the student. The best features are Schoology's ability to integrate with other tools, as teachers can embed edtech tools such as Padlet, Polleverywhere, Thinglink, etc into a Schoology assignment using their LTI integration. As they continue to partner with other edtech companies, some of these then become options within their platform. I have used their integrated Conferences, Lock Down Browser, and more. The ability to transition ownership to the students, monitor their work while letting them work at their own pace is truly remarkable and a game-changer in education.

Cons

There are some things I wish were available such as the ability to share an entire folder of contents with an individual student, or to set separate completion rules/dates for assignments within a folder. Not sure why these aren't options. I also think a way to automatically award badges upon completion would really help teachers cut down on time awarding them.

Gilda from The Classical Academies

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Schoology - like a Swiss army knife for educators!

I have used Schoology as a teacher with students and as a professional development platform with other teachers. I love all the options I have for sharing content of all types and engaging students in many ways. I constantly find new features to try out with my students. In addition, I am one of the system admins for our school district. I have used both the Basic (free) version and the Enterprise version. Schoology Support is always helpful, and while they cannot always meet my needs right away, they are always working on site improvements and new features.

Pros

Ease of use - Most teachers, students, and parents learn to navigate the LMS pretty easily. Many levels of use - Teachers can begin using the LMS at a simple, basic level with great success, and then progress to use more advanced features that enrich the educational experience of their students. I love incorporating online discussions and media albums in my classes. Anywhere, anytime - Teachers can set up their daily classes in Schoology, embedding images, media, discussions, quizzes, and more. This lends itself to all types of teaching experiences from whole class to small group to individual assignments. Assignments can actually be assigned to small groups or individual students, and these will not populate the Schoology feeds of other students. The Schoology course can be used to facilitate the classroom experience, but also allows student access to classroom content 24/7. Great integration with G Suite - Schoology plays very well with all things Google. I love the Google Drive Assignments app, which organizes my students assignments so beautifully.

Cons

Cannot create recurring calendar events. Badges are only visible on Profile Page. I wish they were more visible on all pages, like they are in Khan Academy. Badges are also not visible on the iOS platform. I wish assignments had both assigned on dates, as well as due dates.

Philip from Fieldcrest CUSD #6

Great LMS option for K-12 schools and post secondary as well. I flip my classes and it works great.

I use Schoology for almost all of my course work. I teach using the flipped classroom model and Schoology's platform allows me to share my lecture videos, conduct assessments of student knowledge and understanding, to give assignments, and to provide communication with students and parents. All of my content is available to my students through Schoology 24/7, I can make it available in a variety of ways, and I can make updates in real time. Recently, Schoology's introduction of the Google Assignment App has me excited about our switch to Chromebooks. This app allows you to attach a Google Doc (say a study guide) as part of an assignment. When students open the assignment the document is copied, renamed, and added to their Google Drive. No more students opening or copying a new version of the document each time they go back to the assignment instead of to the copy they made but didn't actually rename like the directions stated. The document is 'tied' to the assignment and updates no matter where they work on it from (inside the assignment or through their Google Drive.) Still to come, a cleaner looking interface with differentiation for elementary students!

Pros

+Google Assignment App - this is a game changer for schools using Google and Chromebooks. +Most open LMS - it integrates with more outside apps and programs. +New interfaces on the way - a cleaner look for all and an elementary version of the interface. +More question types coming for assessments including labeling. +Options are available for assessment monitoring for schools and districts.

Cons

-I wish I could move and resize pop up editing boxes. I create complex and visual landing pages with hyperlinks for my students. I wish that box were able to be made bigger and many pop up boxes cover information on the page that would be helpful when working in the box. -Settings and due dates for assessments are in two completely different places when creating them. One is in a tab in the content area, the other is in the creation "gear" menu. If both are not set correctly, your assessment will not work.

Crystal from Educational Service Unit #10

BEST LMS experience for teachers, students, admin and community!

Moodle. Blackboard. Edmodo. Google Classroom. Each year of teaching seemed to bring with it another piecemeal LMS until we found Schoology! Schoology allows our teachers, students, admin and community to stay informed and connected. As a teacher, Schoology was easy to figure out due to its intuitive platform. I love the various features and app integrations that allow students to do much of their online learning within the platform avoiding third party site visits and lots of extra clicking. As an Enterprise user, I also appreciate the SIS integration with PowerSchool that automatically transfers student grades from Schoology. The group feature allows me to easily send updates about One-Act and Speech practice schedules or leave time reminders that can be routed to students' phones, and the groups also provide excellent PLNs for various topics. Admins have begun harnessing the power of online professional development modules via Schoology as well. Students enjoy the calendar view, which we have taught them to use like a planner and appreciate the quick feedback from assessments. Parents enjoy more transparency about what is going on at school and the media albums work great for capturing all of the awesome learning that needs to be recognized and celebrated. As a BlendEd Learning leader, Schoology is integral to day to day planning and organization. I also appreciate that Schoology is very responsive to user issues and requests. Their Client Success team is there to answer questions and trouble shoot when you need them, and the product developers are always taking suggestions and creating new features to make the platform more user friendly for teachers and students. Unlike previous platforms, Schoology is my one-stop shop that is here to stay! After four years of use, I couldn't imagine teaching without it!

Pros

-Ease of use -Groups provide online PLNs -Supportive client services -Excellent BlendEd Platform -Can align with CC or state standards -Allows for competency-based grading (Mastery via Enterprise) -Parent log in options (one log in for all of their kids) -App works well on Mac and Android devices

Cons

-Can't create reoccurring events or assignments (yet) -PowerSchool Pro and Schoology integration in beta only (Enterprise)

David from Fairbanks Local Schools

Schoology for Classes and Professional Development

In my 7 years as a teacher, I was always looking for the latest and greatest tools. The one thing that never changed, was Schoology. They are constantly improving their product and updating to make it better. I used all the free features of Schoology with my students. We took all of our assessments via their platform. They submitted assignments, essays, and projects via the other software. I was able to easily attach rubrics to the work that students were creating. My favorite piece was the discussions. It allowed me to elicit responses from all students, not just the ones who were willing to raise their hands. I would often use the online discussions to facilitate a face to face discussion in class the next day. I was able to use the responses from the online portion to direct and call out specific responses that could further our in class discussion. Schoology is an all around great tool, if you are looking for an LMS, it would be a mistake not to consider Schoology. In my current role, I provide more professional development support. I am working with teachers on their implementation of Schoology and other tools. Schoology allows me a way to deliver online courses to teachers and support them in their growth. It is a great experience for our teachers to use Schoology as a student, this gives them the perspective they need when it is time to work with their students. It also affords us the opportunity to show them some best practices of using an LMS. Schoology is a winner in every way, I wouldn't be where I am today without Schoology, and our teachers wouldn't be making the gains they are without the support of Schoology.

Pros

There is an instant comfort to using Schoology for students and teachers. Most things are very easy to find and within a couple uses, teachers begin to develop confidence with the program. As a teacher, I was easily able to teach myself (with some online guidance) how to accomplish what I needed. The range of options available for free is outstanding and the paid version just adds the icing to the cake!

Cons

There are times where it seems like I have to click a lot of buttons to execute something. There are some quirks (as there are with many programs) that don't seem 100% logical to me. With that said, Schoology is always willing to listen, things may not be fixed immediately but it is nice to know they are aware.

November 2015

William from Lancaster Bible College

November 2015

Communicate, Question, Appreciate

Pros

As a vendor, Schoology is top notch. I feel like the crew there is an extension of my immediate work group. Everyone at Support, our Account Manager, and especially their PD team are friendly and professional. I follow many of them on Twitter and we share ideas and thoughts on the product. I'm thankful for their responsiveness and their authenticity about not being able to do everything at all times, but to hear all concerns and appropriately triage them for the product's future. The product is very clean and straightforward. I am a system administrator for our institution, so I am always poking around in the nitty gritty. I may be the sole user at our institution that uses as many aspects of Schoology as I do. From course level settings, to groups, to system wide, I am all over the product and I heartily give my approval. I can navigate through the product with ease and can easily lead others in doing the same. I support our faculty and students on using the product, so it's great to know when I point them to a feature that it will always look and operate the same. I might say that is the BEST part of the product: the uniformity. We previously used Moodle, and our setup was not uniform. Thankfully, Schoology is.

Cons

The product is young and still catered towards the K12 environment. The language, the features, and the community of users are primarily K12. While that's not a big deal, it can often make community events or new features irrelevant to the higher ed environment. The only other downside is that there are not many settings for students with special needs. It is often clunky to create workarounds to accommodate students who need more time in quizzes or struggle to access media content.

Ann from Bellevue Public Schools

Schoology is central to our successful 1:1 blended learning classrooms providing digital workflow.

The software is central to our curriculum delivery in our 1:1 blended learning classrooms. It is a core app that we use daily and streamlines communication, assessment, and assignments.

Pros

Schoology is intuitive for both teachers and students. I love that Schoology is specifically designed for K-12 and has a simple interface for primary students. Schoology provides students one place to access curriculum content, collaborate with peers, and receive immediate feedback from assessments. Our teachers leverage several features in Schoology including grading groups and completion rules. Teachers can privately differentiate curriculum materials to individual students or groups with just a click using grading groups. Teachers can also design lessons that utilize completion rules which forces students to complete on activity with a certain degree of accuracy before moving on to the next activity. Teachers can also provide students feedback in a variety of formats which can include audio, video, drawings or written. The feedback is available to students as soon as it is graded. In addition to courses, Schoology also has a group feature which is one place for teachers to share curriculum materials with one another. The content in the group is shared with just a click to any course. This makes it very easy to move materials from teachers to students without the need to download or upload files, creating a smooth digital workflow.

Cons

None. The Schoology team is responsive to feedback and the team is constantly striving to make improvements.

Schoology Efficiency

I wanted to see if there was a difference in doing school work online and doing school work the traditional way using pen and paper. While you can get more distracted doing school work through Schoology since you are online and you have more access to other applications, I felt encouraged to finish my work faster and more efficiently since it was easy to access and it was quicker to type in my work instead of writing it. Also, it was motivating to see my progress in each class so I know what I need to work on and how well Im doing. Overall, it was a good experience and if I had more professors utilizing this application/software, I would like it.

Pros

It was extremely convenient not only as a student but for staff and teachers that manage a large amount of students. For students, they are more encouraged to finish the school work quickly due to its convenience since they are only required to have a technological device such as a tablet or phone and internet in order to finish their work. They can access this in school, home, or anywhere as long as they have access to the internet. The app or website is easy to navigate through as well. The same goes for teachers and other staff since they are able to go through each students work efficiently since they are listed under their respective classes. Both student and teacher are able to track the progress of their work and they are enabled to see how they are faring in each class which encourages each student to improve and teachers are able to see which topic a student needs to work on. Teachers are also able to post take-home quizzes and lectures online which students can conveniently access.

Cons

If the student does not have access to wifi or internet, they are unable to see their homework/school work and they wont be able to submit their requirements.

Deanna from Garnet Valley School District

Transforming the Digital Space

Schoology has enabled me to create a digital platform for my students to access whenever and however they need. Being a traveling teacher has its own unique set of obstacles, but Schoology has empowered me to bring my in-person style and flare to the digital space. I no longer feel as I am scatted around multiple classrooms. Each of my digital classrooms are organized in the same manner so there is a sense of structure to my instruction, just like a physical space would allow.

Pros

I love that I can use Schoology as a vehicle to personalization--personalization for student learning and personalization for my instruction. I am able to add/delete assignments for students. I can create assignments for specific groups of students. It is easier to use the same rubric for similar assignments because the rubric is already built and saved. I can deliver lessons in various methods. My instruction and assessment have become more transparent (and more fair!) for students due to these features.

Cons

The features that I most dislike about Schoology revolve around the integrations with Google Drive and TurnItIn. While I have long applauded the Google integration, I detest that the Google assignments (when submitted through this integration) are not time stamped. Also, my colleagues and I have found TurnItIn to be a bit more complicated than necessary to use. It is not intuitive, and rather difficult to explain to students. I often end up not using it.

Traci from Sandy Run Middle School

The.LMS.System

Pros

Having come from Google Classroom, Schoology is a more robust learning management system. Teachers can create assignments, discussions, assessments. There is more than just a stream of posts. Folders are necessary to organize content. There is a free version of it that still has decent features but the enterprise version has ALL the tools that you need to manage student learning, grades, feedback, and communication. The online grade-book has the ability to create assessments and rubrics and keep track of student performance. I love that students can use the app, in addition to the Chromebook.

Cons

The learning curve can be steep; the user interface can be overwhelming. I wish that I could link sections of courses so that the I didn't have to re-post the same items in another section. For example, I teach two 7th grade sections. I find myself manually copying and posting in each separately - this takes extra time. Right now this doesn't have grade-book integration for our district, they are working on it. Grade-book integration is truly a requirement. Students and parents also cite issues with things being reported as late/over due that actually are not. Parents may need a streamlined interface or some free training. In terms of communication, it would be helpful to see stats on the message (how many read out of how many).

Julie from Columbia Public Schools

Life Changing

It has streamlined my classroom: Assignments are in schoology, collected in schoology, graded in schoology, I used it to flip my classroom and organize what students do and when. It has streamlined the work that I do to get ready for class: I can easily collaborate with the teachers I work with, I can set up one class and copy to others, It helps me keep track of where my students are and what they are achieving. I teach my students how to use the program to get more out of their own learning: They can check on their level of mastery, rework old assignments and quizzes (when I let them), they can check their progress, see what is coming, and know what is expected of them just by opening the course. 3 years after beginning to use it, I don't know how I ever lived without it.

Pros

I haven't collected a piece of paper in 3 years. It grades many things for me and I can get feedback on how my students are doing. I continue to have access to everything in a course even after it has ended. Schoology is incredibly helpful in fixing problems, and asking for feedback. It merges seamlessly with my school's grade book program. It has allowed me to turn my traditional classroom into a flipped-mastery classroom that use standards based grading. Differentiating instruction and assignments is easy with this program.

Cons

There are still things I wish it could do that it can't... yet. They are still working on those things.

Best Educator Software

This software allowed me to finally free up time and focus on my teaching instead of paperwork! Even better, all the tests and assignments I make can be saved to assignment bank, and I can reuse them for years to come. Absolute game-changer.

Pros

I am a teacher and school district I work for recently rolled out schoology and mandated all teachers to use it and I think this has been the best move in years. Schoology is AMAZING. First, it's very user-friendly (homepage looks like Facebook news feed, and grade books mirror many early-stage online grade books). Gradebook is easy to use and my school district has embedded an option where grades can automatically transfer and post in the district database every 5 weeks. That alone takes hours of work away from teachers when grades are due! Second, students can submit assignments on schoology - everything from exit tickets and papers to discussions and even tests. No more stacks of papers to take home and grade - I can literally access those online from any device and grade at my spare time. Even better - tests and quizzes can be created manually and correct answers programmed in, so when the student submits it, Schoology grades it and posts the grade for you (you have an option to review to verify it).

Cons

I am a math teacher and I would like for the option to allow students to create graphs themselves when doing tests. Schoology does not yet have such options, and instead I have to create graphs and and insert those pictures into tests, and make any graphing question a multiple choice one.

Glen from Wabasha-Kellogg School District

Fantastic, game-changing LMS

Schoology has transformed my teaching! I have been teaching for almost 18 years and I knew that I was basically teaching to the middle group of my students. I was not differentiating for the various learners in my class. The tools available in Schoology helped me to move my teaching from lecture based to a blended classroom approach. I now train teachers on a daily basis to transform their teaching using Schoology. The Schoology community is one of the most active, supportive groups I have ever encountered.

Pros

Schoology is an easy to use LMS initially as a teacher and student. The best part is that there are so many added features and an amazing supportive community to help you customize and develop your courses even further. The customer service for Schoology is fantastic and the professional learning community in Schoology Educators is active and very helpful to anyone from a beginner to an advanced user. We did a side by side comparison between Schoology - Edmodo - Canvas and Google Classroom and our teachers and students completely supported our adoption of Schoology!

Cons

Some missing features include the ability to lock an entire folder and the ability to navigate quiz/tests more easily.

Love this LMS!

This is a great product, and is super easy to use for almost anyone, it is lacking in some features but overall great product.

Pros

This is the best possible LMS that I have found out there-has several features. Organized folders, quiz giving ability and integration with ExamView, discussions, and district wide setup ability.

Cons

It is very spendy if you want to implement it into your school-hard to justify when Google Classroom is free. I wish the integration with google was more seemless, and the lockdown browser option was free for quizzes/tests.

Justin from Lancaster Bible College

Schoology - Empowering Blended Learning

Schoology has transformed my own teaching and assessment strategies, and I have seen it greatly impact the classrooms of my colleagues. It remains one of my top recommendations for any educators across the educational technology spectrum.

Pros

Schoology's greatest asset is its ease of use. When my institution adopted Schoology as the LMS (to replace a previous, more complicated LMS), we saw a 2/3 increase in active users, effectively transforming our classrooms. Schoology excels at communication (to your entire course, co-workers, or individual students) compared to other learning management systems. Additionally, schoology is an LMS visibly built around a learning centered classroom, unlike the obvious content-centered approach favored by prominent, older learning management systems.

Cons

Schoology's ease of use does mean some loss of complicated features. At first glance, schoology has a smaller feature set than some LMS's. However, if you are willing to be creative, the platform engages very cleanly with third party tools to accomplish any functionality that may have been lost.

Leslie from Alief ISD

Program ease in collaborative with teachers and Google easy for that with students across classes.

Being able to collaborate and communicate with teachers in my department is fast and easy. Collaborative projects with students across all class periods has been very productive in my classes. Being able to sync to the gradebook is fast and efficient.

Pros

Ease in posting resources to keep students in Schoology for research projects and assignments. The ability to assess student learning in multiple formats. Being able to use the Google Drive link to create collaborative assignments across class periods for students to participate in allows all students to participate in one big project.

Cons

Schoology needs to solve the problem of students being able to copy and paste into Schoology. It's too easy for students to plagiarize when they can go outside of Schoology and copy and paste information to answer questions. I can tell students not to do that and remove grade points when they do, but if Schoology could find a way to not allow student accounts to copy and paste, there would be more original work done by students in the platform.

December 2015

Cathie from Fox Chapel Area School District

December 2015

Your Classroom Experience Will Change with Schoology

Schoology is an all encompassing learning management system (LMS) that allows teachers to expand the walls of the classroom beyond the school day. Students can easily log into their Schoology account and access class materials, watch embedded videos, practice skills, or respond to class discussions. Teachers can organize and create folders and build an entire course throughout the year. The interface has a social media look that can be appealing for students. However, students treat Schoology as a course and not Facebook. Restrictions can easily be enabled to ensure that student's post before they see other responses. The Schoology App works extremely well in a 1:1 iPad classroom. Students can easily add their Google Drive App and submit assignments from Google Drive directly to Schoology. Teachers have an easy toggle feature that allows them to score student work efficiently without opening new tabs for every student assignment. Rubrics can be easily created and directly attached to the assignment. Schoology does platform with Pearson, Powerschool, and many other online sources. Those services provided do cost money. Schoology is COPPA compliant and has signed the Student Privacy Pledge. Videos and tutorials are easily accessible, and the company is very responsive to questions and suggestions. I was using another popular LMS but found that my students treated it like Facebook. When I switched to Schoology I found that the interface and the assignment feed are easier to manage and sort through. Students treat Schoology as a course and not another form of social media. They respond appropriately and use it as a resource for their learning. Building on-line quizzes take time, but students respond well to receiving the instant feedback. Aa a teacher, I find the assignment feature and uploading from Google Drive seamless. I've been able to leave feedback and not feel overwhelmed reading 100 essays submitted in Schoology. The hardest feature of Schoology is learning and discovering all of the bells and whistles it offers. I would recommend using Schoology with a team of teachers or a colleague. It's much easier to bounce ideas off of each other as you tinker with its features. Once you maneuver through the first weeks of Schoology you won't turn back. I left everything I created on my old LMS and have had no regrets. Schoology is ideal if your looking to go paperless as well.

A beautiful piece of software

Our business is extremely productive thanks to Schoology. It gives teachers a lot of control over their class and a way to organize everything in a way that it saves time and money. Amazing!

Pros

I cannot stress how incredible this software is. It looks a bit like Facebook, which makes it both familiar and easy to use, the user-interface is a huge reason why my company uses Schoology. Schoology interfaces with Google, allowing embed of my google files so that it will automatically update in Schoology if I update an assignment sheet and/or calendar. Students can also upload assignments from their Google Drive. In fact, the interfacing means you can grade, view, and comment on all assignments in Google Drive. It's incredibly easy to use in the classroom setting and I have had student parents thank me for their children's learning progress because of this software.

Cons

The thing I like least about Schoology is that while it has great Google interfacing, there's a lack of some other platforms that could be useful for people who might need that kind of feature. It's not a problem for me and my company.

Jessica from Altus Public Schools

Best LMS in the game!

Schoology changed my classroom experience for the better. It is integral to my classroom and our school district since we are 1:1. Schoology isn't just a tool it creates a culture in your classroom that helps faciliate community in the classroom experience.

Pros

*User Functionality - easy for teachers and students to use! *Consistency of Updates from Schoology - they are constantly improving the platform whether it be with new app integration or ease of use in design. *Support - Their support team is amazing, and client services are impeccable. * Number of Apps that integrate is growing all the time! *Google Assignment App stepped up the overall experience and use for Teachers. * Assessment update changed the game - appeals to all different subject areas.

Cons

Honestly none because any issue that has existed Schoology has responded with an update if there was enough need for a change! That is one of their greatest strengths as a company.

Brittany from Charter School of New Castle

Schoology Success!

At first, I will admit, I struggled using Schoology and I am pretty tech-savvy. After spending some time diving into it, I found it is pretty user-friendly, easily accessible by both students and parents, and a great way to present documents, stations for classes, and assignments. I loved being able create groups for stations and color coding each one. Made it simple for my younger students.

Pros

Schoology is a platform that has features perfect for a middle/high school classroom setting. It allows the ability to have students access their assigned class and find documents needed throughout the year. It is simple and straightforward for students, allows administrators to create groups within the school for educators (ELA, 5th grade, etc.), and can be utilized by everyone.

Cons

It is not an aesthetically pleasing platform, with little to no design features, minus a picture and color coding the folders.

Ross from Pursuant

Good student communication tool, but some features are hard to use.

I think Schoology is a good software that is helpful in school for online submission of projects and documents, however I prefer Google Classroom because it is easier to use. It took me much longer to become acclimated to Schoology than Classroom.

Pros

Schoology is a well designed program that is very similar to Google Classroom. In Schoology, it is easier to organize than google classroom within the certain classes. The teacher is able to create folders that include all the classwork for the students in color coordination. This is easier to view than google classroom, however it is more difficult to view the due dates.

Cons

The hardest part of the software to me is the attachment of files to the assignment. In google classroom, it is very easy to attach videos, files, links, and documents. There is a button that allows students to attach documents of their own, however most of the time in my experience it refuses to attach my document to the file. I have to end up copying and pasting my document into a new document. Also, if a student submits the assignment and then realizes he or she has made a mistake, sometimes there is no option to un-submit it. Also, it will sometimes submit multiple versions of the document as it is edited.

Dakota from West Fargo Public School

Schoology LMS

Overall, Schoology is a great learning management system and has made delivering content and assesssment student progress a much more manageable task.

Pros

What I like most about Schoology is it's ease of use. The interface is clean and takes on a social media feel which most of its users will be used to and appreciate. I also love how you can integrate many of the top educational programs and apps right along with Schoology such as quizlet.com and nearpod.com.

Cons

What I like least about Schoology is how certain features that would seemingly be easy to fix take so long to be developed or go into affect. For example, the launch of the new assessments feature was very exciting because it open up more question types, but lacked some of the features so beneficial to students and educators. These features include the Spanish keyboards, quetion banks, and printable assessments.

David from Chick-fil-A-Franchise

Industry: Restaurants

Schoology helps organize classes and groups. It keeps everything organized and available for all.

Pros

Schoology is a great organization tool for students as it displays all their classes and has each classes' contents inside the group. This allows for teachers to easily make assignments and information available to students digitally. Schoology also has a built-in calendar and notification system to make sure students turn in assignments on time. It has a very intuitive interface and it is easy to access for both administration, teachers, and students from both the mobile app and the web.

Cons

Schoology can sometimes have bugs which makes it frustrating in a classroom setting. Bugs can take time to fix and can delay important teaching material. The settings can be confusing at times and the mobile app can crash at times. Schoology support also takes some time to implement essential features which can be quite annoying at times.

Eric from Lancaster Bible College

Schoology - K-12 Winner, Not So Much for Higher Ed

Schoology is an excellent platform for blended learning or situations where online learning is supplemental to face-to-face learning. For higher education, or fully online learning, it has a long way to go to catch up with the industry leaders.

Pros

Schoology is easy to use, provides an intuitive interface, and leverages the benefits of social media. As an Enterprise user, I have access to the full suite of analytics and universal settings, which are powerful. The mobile apps are feature-rich as well.

Cons

Schoology is not the ideal platform for higher education. The interface, while easy to navigate, is juvenile in its icons and profile images. And while it features a social media "wall" of recent activity across one's courses, the interface looks like an old Facebook. Also, Schoology's font, which cannot be altered, even by Enterprise users, is too small. This raises ADA compatibility concerns.

Marja from Parkview Baptist School

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

When we used it I was very happy with the product.

As a former English teacher, it was so nice to have students be able to speak their voice in a setting they may not have been comfortable with prior to using Schoology. We were able to do many of the same discussions with our Bible students as well. It really helped in studying scripture passages.

Pros

I love the addition of the discussion board feature. Requiring students to post prior to seeing other students' post makes it easier to ensure they are not summarizing/rewording someone else's post. This was something that several teachers at my school requested and Schoology was very quick to implement it.

Cons

I really have nothing negative to say about the software. Many teachers at our school had a real problem with handing over a copy of our drivers licenses to a company when we already had a full background check with our school during the hiring process. It felt like a violation of privacy.

Ruth from Sacred Heart Academy

Schoology Makes Teaching Easier

I have saved so much paper by moving to giving and receiving homework assignments through Schoology.

Pros

I use Schoology on a daily basis. I am a big fan. I love everything that it has to offer. I assign all homework assignments through Schoology and expect my students to submit their assignments through Schoology. It's very easy to upload an assignment and to go through the submitted assignments. I also appreciate the Resources tab, which allows to to upload files, links, and more, making it easy for me to pull up materials I need to use in class.

Cons

I really like this software and it has made my life much easier as a teacher. The only function I wish it had would be the ability to schedule publishing of an assignment. Right now I have to manually publish an assignment when I want it to appear to my students.

Jo from Archbishop of York Youth Trust

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Flexible, fully-featured and fun!

Schoology works best for a whole school setting where different ability levels of instructors and learners will be accessing the platform. Especially suited to an establishment which intends to develop a blended learning and learning self-paced learning approach outside of the classroom. A school which confidently uses mobile apps and digital technologies will find Schoology a healthy addition to their collection of digital tools.

Pros

+A huge community of teachers and learners looking to sharing their experience and support one another in the usage of the platform. +A recognisable user interface which makes the learning curve for new users simple and intuitive. +Superb flexibility to create bespoke learning environments for teachers and learners.

Cons

- Some limitation of iframe embed due to the HTTPS protocol requirement. Use of HTML code editor often strips the inclusion of more advanced features such as Java functions. - Limitation toe badge and gamification of learning. - LTI integration not fully functional, relying on apps developers to plug the gaps.

Nicholas from Ramapo Indian Hills Regional High School District

The MVP LMS

I love having used Schoology in the past when teaching HS English an gamifying my classroom. I now utilize Schoology for professional development purposes. This allows me to create and offer my teachers anytime, anywhere, self-paced learning modules.

Pros

Schoology truly focuses their attention on personalized student learning. The features to set completion settings and afford students the opportunity to complete units/lessons/folders at their own pace is truly a game-changer. With that, it works perfectly when trying to gamify your classroom with the added benefit of included badges.

Cons

Navigation and ease of use require a little bit of time to play around and get comfortable with the program. So many added benefits and features are within other options. But once you figure them out (like embedding other apps into Schoology) they become the norm.

Melissa from District 49

In a 1:1 iPad classroom, Schoology was a lifesaver for assignments, quizzes, and organization!

Pros

The ability to connect assignments with State Standards to create Mastery Grading. Connecting parents with their own log in meant that there were no surprises when it came time for grade reports and when parents were surprised, I could easily see if they had created a parent account. The time/date stamp on assignments was very helpful when a student tried to pit me against their parents. I also appreciated the option to personalize classes with photos, color code folders, and set announcement banners. I can't imagine teaching in today's Ed Tech world without Schoology.

Cons

Some of the features (such as badges) do not show on the IOS app. This was frustrating for me when implementing "gamification". Students needed a laptop or PC to view badges earned.

Aaron from E-Learning

Schoology Rocks!

Pros

Schoology allows you to have the all encompassing digital environment for your students. You can house all of your digital materials in one easy spot for students. The platform has a simple layout- which I love for my elementary students. Perhaps the best feature is the assessments. The new assessments allow you to use multiple choice, drag and drop, paint tools, highlighted text, etc. This allows you to essentially recreate any assignment you would normally have in a much more engaging way. And another great feature is that it can self-grade so your students can get instant feedback.

Cons

I really haven't found anything that I don't like about Schoology. They do have a "shared resource" section that could be easier to navigate.

April from Tarkington High School

Easy to use while giving me the results that I want in my classroom.

I was able to effectively communicate with my students with the software and they enjoy it as it reminds them of social media.

Pros

This software is very easy to use in the classroom setting. I can easily message my students at any time as well as their parents when I need to reach them which is a nice option to have available. I also like the fact I can exchange classroom resources with other educators that may be using the software. I am also a huge fan of the fact that I can make quizzed, grade prior assignment, and keep in touch with my students with just one application.

Cons

I think that there are a few things that can be improved regarding this software such as the mobile application at times seems to be problems with it crashing which means I lose things that I have not been saved at that time. I also dislike the fact that when new features are introduced it seems to take a while for them to become fully functional.

Gretchen from Baltimore County Schools

Multiuser Program for Large School Districts

Overall, I found Schoology to be a very useful platform to be used within a large school system. It allows for information to travel quickly and for collaboration to occur.

Pros

This software allows the users to not only access courses and communications, but also enables groups to be created to share information.

Cons

In order to reach certain aspects of the program you have to click through multiple operations in order to reach the desired destination.

Elizabeth from Spencerport CSD

Why even look at another LMS? Schoology is hands down the top choice!

I have been using Schoology as a classroom teacher and teacher trainer for over 3 years now. I am always amazed when I see other LMS and how it compares to Schoology. It is a such a great tool to personalize and enhance learning for both teachers and students. There are wide variety of features that make Schoology the top choice for all different learners- opportunities for enrichment, individually assigned tasks, language translation, and places for students to post and share their work.

Pros

- Customer Service is amazing and quick - Easily integrates with our SIS - Ability to share resources with other teachers - easy interface for secondary students with multiple courses

Cons

- there were a few updates I did not love- the "top 12" for courses, opening links in the same window instead of a new window

Steven from School

Great for Fast Feedback

It allows me to get fast feedback from students in the form of quizzes.

Pros

The ease of use for myself when uploading or creating quizzes and for students when taking tests or engaging in discussions online . I also like the function that allows students to see the correct answer to questions once they have submitted their quiz.

Cons

When grading short answer essay questions, there are too many steps to get to the question and it slows down the immediacy of my responses.

Reasons for Choosing Schoology

It is easier to create quizzes.

Essential Tool for Online Classrooms!

While Schoology is definitely not perfect, I think that it is still one of the best online educational tools out there! It's great for teachers and school professionals to use and students alike. I would reccomend this to anyone who's looking to transition into Schoology as I think it could be worth trying out.

Pros

Schoology is a great platform for professionals who work in schools! It has an online classroom system where students can be added to classes and teachers can post things like assignments or any other general posts. Some really great features include how students can submit assignments as well as how threads can be created. I particularly like how threads can be created because students can comment on each other's comments and this creates a classroom discussion that can be very important for the assignment. In addition, I also really like how the students can interact with each other or send messages to me or each other.

Cons

What I like the least about Schoology is the interface. I think that it looks a little outdated and can be simplified a lot. I look forward to future updates where the interface of Schoology is changed up a bit because it has been looking the same for a while and needs to adjust to the time. I think that other alternatives out there tend to have a much better interface and is easier to navigate around compared to Schoology.

Michael from University of Washington

Not The Best Out There

Schoology at my school was more or less a necessary evil. Most faculty complained about it, and few were able to champion its intricacies to achieve some really cool results.

Pros

My school used Schoology as its online platform, and it was relatively easy to post, receive, edit, and grade assignments within the platform. Making announcements to classes was also simple.

Cons

I never felt the platform was very user-friendly. There are a lot of hidden features and seem to require a number of special clicking around to achieve. I have used other online learning platforms that seemed simpler to use. The online editing/grading tool was especially bad when it came to editing word processed documents.

Sage from Bellevue Public Schools

Schoology

Schoology has helped to solve the problem of my students not having a copy of an assignment they need. They are able to access any and all worksheets that have been assigned and there are no more excuses that they "lost their homework."

Pros

As a teacher I love using Schoology. With Schoology I am able to post homework assignments for my class, create discussion pages, communicate with parents and so much more. One of the things I like most about Schoology is that I am able to post differentiated assignments for my students without them feeling the stress of having a different assignment then their classmates. Another thing I like about Schoology is being able to collaborate with other teachers by sharing resources and ideas which benefits both teachers and students.

Cons

The only con I have about Schoology is that there are so many things that you can do using Schoology, that sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming navigating the site. So my best advice is to pick one or two things you would like to use Schoology for and focus on just those few things until you get more familiar with the software. After that you can move on to learning and using more of what Schoology has to offer.

August 2016

Kyle from International House of Prayer University (Online)

August 2016

Your students and faculty will actually use Schoology!

Pros

Schoology offers both a free and enterprise (paid) version. Our school of 600 has been using the free version for 3 years and it is still working great! In talking with a Schoology rep, they mentioned that 80% of the functionality of Schoology is available for free. After going through the Schoology Enterprise demo, I would agree. The main things the free version lacks is in the area of custom branding, administrative permissions, high level analytics, video conferencing, various integrations, and open APIs. Each of our instructors sets up their own course and students can log in and take our courses from anywhere they have Internet. We have used Schoology in Spanish, Portuguese, and English. The free iPhone, iPad, and Android apps works great.

Cons

The site occasionally cuts out due to maintenance and does not automatically refresh.

September 2016

Kelli from Spartanburg District 5 Schools

September 2016

21st Century LMS for the 21st Century Learner

I use Schoology in all aspects of my classroom. I create and share resources with other teachers in my district. I share resources with my students. I use Schoology as our online discussion forum. I create assignments/quizzes/tests in Schoology to help with paper clutter. I use the audio function in Schoology to help differentiate assessments. I also use Schoology to keep track of my Relay for Life group at my school where I can share event dates, updates, and important messages. I love that Schoology can be used for teacher-led instruction, but also for students to learn, create, and publish their own work. Schoology is a great tool to use for collaboration as well as differentiation. Super easy to use, and the best part is that there are so many different ways to use Schoology from a Resource Hub for teachers, to a full blown online classroom.

Juvy from Somerton Middle School

Schoology is every K-12 school's aid of delivering success which will be evident to child's growth.

Schoology saves much time of incorporating fun an learning in my classroom.

Pros

When I think of the best learning management system, it is no other than Schoology. It is a software designed for collaboration and interaction with the ease of use since it has a user-friendly interface. I like all of its tools specifically the one that provides instant report on the assessment took by the students. This software was designed based on the needs of the users and their abilities to use modern technology without worrying on how to operate it. It is very portable because you can use any device and still it has a perfect graphical user-interface. Teachers and students will definitely enjoy learning through Schoology. No more boring lesson and no more wait time to check for over-all performance of each learner. I can say the this is the the technology's gift to learn instantly.

Cons

As a teacher, I want all my students to be self-managing when it comes to learning. Schoology helps me realize this. No comments and no suggestions on its improvement or features.