• Pros

• "Great Value and ease of use for what we use it for. "

• "Great notifications, timely. The interface is easy to navigate even when you are a new user."

• "This product is easy to use. The Web Interface is clear and informative."

• Cons

• "The mobile app was a nice addition to the platform, however is very basic and could use a lot of improvements to turn it into a useful monitoring and administration tool."

• "its the best but the are some things that need improve"

• "Exchange application monitoring is thorough but almost too thorough. I had to adjust quite a few monitors to get a more simplified view."

Browse WhatsUp Gold Reviews

Dustin from City of Cleveland, TN

WhatsUpGold is a great tool for monitoring the status of your network.

We mainly benefit from the alerts system that will notify all specified employees via text/email whenever a part of our network goes down. Typically we will know something is down before our users even notice the problem.

Pros

The alerts are where WhatsUpGold really shines. They are all fully customizable and once they're setup to your specifications they work like a dream. A majority of the time we will know when something on the network goes down before our users even notice the problem!

Cons

This product can do so many different things it becomes a little overwhelming. Once alerts are setup they work great, but the configuration process can get pretty confusing if you haven't done it before. Online training videos on how to configure certain features would be a great tool.

Response from Ipswitch

Replied June 2018

Hi and thanks so much for the kind words! We¿re delighted that you¿re enjoying WhatsUp Gold and we love hearing about how you¿re using it. Please note that we do have a number of videos on Youtube that go into detail on our most recent release WhatsUp Gold 2018 as well as a Quick Tips series of how-to videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2lCWFrs4paSSNpe1JnTnQ If you have further questions about using WhatsUp Gold please feel free to contact us directly or visit our online Community at commmunity.ipswitch.com for more help. Thanks again for using WhatsUp Gold.

Kristina from Tempel Steel

Industry: Machinery

WhatsUp Gold Review

After everything was set up, we have had almost no issues. The customer support is great and the reps are great. The software has free updates which is awesome and the community board is very helpful. I would recommend this product to any IT environment that is looking for network monitoring solution.

Pros

It fits exactly what we need it to do. Monitor our devices and send us alerts when there is an issue. The schematic is also very helpful because we have it broken down into locations and grouped together to make things easier to use. It is also very helpful to put in all the information we have into the details of the device so that its all in one place. It helps us stay organized!

Cons

The set up was atrocious. We had to run a scan like 6 times to find everything. Eventually I had to add things in one by one which took forever. It is not simple to use. You have to really understand the icons and how things are linked within the software. I wished there was better documentation and videos about this. Especially with the setup. The whole installation and setup was a nightmare.

Reasons for Choosing WhatsUp Gold

It had everything we wanted (feature wise) and the price was good. The demo we had was awesome and sold us on the product. I worked with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] who was exceptional at getting us the info we wanted and helping us see that this product was what we wanted. She was overall amazing.

Reasons for Switching to WhatsUp Gold

It was absurdly expensive.

Steve from ConnectOne Bank

Provides Well Rounded View

We are currently enjoying the benefits of using WUG.

Pros

Scanning ping-able assets to monitor for status, uptime, performance is extremely helpful to the IT team and allows us to be proactive instead of reactive.

Cons

I would like to see or learn how I can more easily configure multiple assets with performance, active, and passive monitors.

Reasons for Choosing WhatsUp Gold

WUG provided me with basic needs and requirements and as I continued learning about the product, I found that there are so many options and information gathered that WUG provides.

Jim from Kelly Services

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

WhatsUp Gold

We use Whatsup Gold to proactively tell us when something is wrong before users start complaining. It has served us well in this capacity We use WUG thresholds and netflow data to determine when business (and non-business) processes are interfering with user performance at our branches with limited network capacity. We use the netflow data and work with the branch to have the offending processes eliminated or moved to afterhours when there is no user impact. We use thresholds and dashboard graphs to provide capacity planning information. Overall WhatsUp Gold has been a mixed bag for us. There have been failed upgrades and bugs that cost us time. Page rendering is adequate at best and frustrating at its worst. But is has provided the monitoring alerting, and capacity planning that we need to stay ahead.

Pros

The ease of adding a device, and getting monitors configured with alerts is what like best. To go from no monitoring to getting a text/email when something goes wrong is relatively easy with this product. The ease of putting specific graph items on a page (dashboard) is also very useful.

Cons

The biggest problem with this product is the performance/capacity of the product to generate graphs. Using java to fetch data from the database to paint pages is slow. I can collect 500,000 data items and generate 100,000 graphs without much horsepower with a tool like CACTI which uses php and flat text rrd files to paint the graph. I can put ten times as many graphs on a page and it still paints 10 times faster. This performance limitation is the biggest week point between your products and the competition. I maintain a CACTI server to do the heavy lifting for graphing high density interface switches in the data centers because WUG is too slow. The thing that I like least about the software is the inability of the administrator to manage other users views. and the lack of an anonymous view. You want to be able to give upper management a link to click on to see pretty graphs and charts. They do not want to have to log in. And you do not want them messing up the view so it constantly has to be fixed. Logging in as admin, changing the users rights, logging out,logging in as the user, changing the dashboard, logging out, logging in as the admin and setting the rights back, is a lousy way to have to manage this.

Brian from Stoughton Utilities

Industry: Utilities

Reliable and easy to use network monitoring software

We have been using WhatsUp as our network monitoring solution for over a decade now, and have found it to be easy to configure and maintain, and pricing was very competitive. We haven't needed to utilize product support more than a couple of times, and they were very responsive and helpful when needed.

Pros

SNMP and WMI monitoring alerts for monitored devices and services are reliable and easy to configure. Alert Center keeps us up to date on device status. Logs are collected and able to be accessed from one location. The software provides a variety of ways to group devices, and a lot of customizability for various monitors and alerts.

Ray from CRA International

WUG CRA Experience

Alerting and allowing us to be proactive on issues is main focus and WUG has allowed my team to accomplish that goal. Reporting/automating reports and providing different practices within CRA the option of personalized dashboards to gauge performance has been a favorite offering from IT to our end users.

Pros

Goes without saying that it is easy to implement, intuitive and easy to manage. Dashboards and views are ++++

Cons

been using WUG for over 10years and have brought in to 3 different companies i've worked for---to date, i haven't found anything I dislike.

Reasons for Choosing WhatsUp Gold

full transparency--- I LIKE IT! but with my previous exposure, it's become easier for me to format presentation to upper management when making recommendations.

Reasons for Switching to WhatsUp Gold

I felt Naggios was very archaic both from implementation phase to operational phase. Discovery was clunky and was all or nothing. With WUG you can discover all or base it on subnet/ip ranges. Naggios was not intuitive as is WUG

Response from Progress Software

Replied August 2020

Mark from Prides Corner Farms

Industry: Farming

WhatsUp Gold Replaces Monitoring Service

WhatsUP gold is monitoring the same things, if not more, than an IT services company was doing for about $500/mo. This saved us a huge amount of money in the long run and was totally worth the configuration issues we had.

Pros

Customizable to monitor only the network parts/components that we wanted monitored. Able to set it to send email and SMS (via email) alerts to multiple users.

Cons

Network discovery was a bit slow and clunky. After a network change we had to delete the current monitors and do a complete re-scan or it doubled up the devices.

Reasons for Choosing WhatsUp Gold

At the time, we really liked the interface and configuration option. Pricing was similar.

Tom from City of Burnsville

Legacy WUG user

We are proactively monitoring network, server and application infrastructure in a way that allows for pro-active maintenance and reporting. It allows us to view and manage IT assets easily, I only wish I had more time to utilize more of it's features.

Pros

It provides a nice visual representation of the health of your IT infrastructure environment and allows for the easy drilling down into details that are needed. It is full of features and information and allows for proactive monitoring.

Cons

Nothing specifically at this time.

Reasons for Choosing WhatsUp Gold

It provides comprehensive monitoring tools and information for the price.

Craig from LaHote Consulting Group, LLC

Easy to configure, customize and implement

Wonderful product and reasonably priced compared to other commercial solutions.

Pros

Ability to setup proactive alerts based upon custom application monitors, to provide notification to key support individuals of critical process failures.

Cons

Web interface can sometimes be slow and/or require clearing cache and refreshing.

Reasons for Choosing WhatsUp Gold

Licensing costs, developer's familiarity with monitor customization process.

Henry from Kiss Products Inc

Industry: Cosmetics

I like the products!

Overall products is good but it needs more easy configurations for basic setting.

Pros

I could view all device status in simple network map

Cons

It is hard to update the changed info. Also too hard to manage notifications.

We have PRTG for network and purchased WhatsUp Gold for servers

RJ from RU

wug 17&18 has an overall better interface that is responsive, a few minor fixes will make it aweso

Pros

The device cards are a nice addition; quickly access common features. Creating dashboard is much easier now than in previous version; more flexible. I like how things are now grouped together, e.g. accessing logs you don't have to go to 3-4 different locations. Searching for devices is great!

Cons

Device roles and discovery could use some work. need to be able finding monitors in library is cumbersome, need a way to search or jump alphabetically Device types were remove, new versions don't support changing OS type Need a way to create dynamic HTTPS content monitor, meaning you could hit an address like so : http://%device.Hostname/NmConsole (hostname is not supported, only address) HTTPS TCP monitors only support SSL TLS 1.0 I spend a lot of time hitting F5 to refresh the browser because the change I just made is not reflected. you can drag and drop devices - need an easier way to manage groups. Need a way to pin favorite groups in navigation pane. When you are on device status page from my network you have to click back button 3-4 times to return to the my network page. Would like to see more youtube videos on how to use the newer version; would be a great way to deliver user training. I would like the ability to delete a device from the devices properties page.

Response from Ipswitch

Replied June 2018

Hi, Thanks so much for the kind words! We're delighted that you're enjoying WhatsUp Gold and we love hearing about how you're using it. Please note that we do have a number of videos on Youtube that go into detail on our most recent release WhatsUp Gold 2018 as well as a Quick Tips series of how-to videos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmaOx9MsMEQ. If you have further questions about using WhatsUp Gold please feel free to contact us directly or visit our online Community for more help. Thanks again for using WhatsUp Gold.

Jim from Apollo Endosurgery, Inc

Industry: Medical Devices

One of the best Monitoring products available

I monitor all critical objects such as CPU, memory, disk and response time. I am also monitoring critical services such as SQL, Rapid Recovery to name a few. One of the main benefits is receiving an email alert before or when a device is down so we can avoid tons of tickets from users.

Pros

I have been using What'sUp Gold network monitoring for years. I was first introduced to the product in 2003. My company at the time was using Solarwinds which I found to be not very user friendly. So I did some research and found What'sUP Gold. Out of the box it was easy to implement and provided much more clarity and features. It provides me with a proactive approach for when any monitored device hits a predetermined threshold. Absolutely love it.

Cons

There isn't much I don't like about the product.

Reasons for Switching to WhatsUp Gold

Better features and more user friendly

Response from Progress Software

Replied October 2020

Thank you for being a long time valued customer and for your positive review!

Glenn from ComplyRight, Inc

Excellent product however lately they are advertising features that are not working

It provides us an overall health of the environment and provides great alerting tool.

Pros

The interface is nice and customizable. Upgrading to new versions are very simple. The overall alert monitoring is great. They continue to add in new features to keep up with the overall demanding IT infrastructure. Working with their technical and product teams are great as they listen to your issues and/or suggestions and look to add new features by communicating to their customers on their sprints.

Cons

As of late the Whats Up Gold Plus product is not delivering based on what has been communicated to their customers. I attended a conference where IPSwitch stated their WhatsUp Gold product supported Microsoft Azure, Dell Compellent Storage and Wireless APs. When we implemented the product it only supports a small piece of Azure that requires Servers and not WebApps/Sites. In addition, the Dell Compellent provides incorrect measurements which is now being looked at on their technical team because there are issues with their release. On the AP Support it is stating they cannot read into our Cisco Airnet APs which are very standard. This too is a feature request. I like the product but for the cost I would expect these types of features to work.

Dustin from Medavie Health Services

Robust and streamlined monitoring

WUG has been a solid piece of our network for years now, their support team is great and the product does everything we need it to do and more. It is reasonably priced for what you get.

Pros

We mostly use WhatsUp for server and service monitoring but we also use it for configuration management on the majority of our network devices, Netflow Analysis, and Application monitoring. For years WUG has been a solid investment and the constant flow of updates keeps adding new features with every release. With the ability to create your own custom monitors and actions WUG will let you do almost anything you can think of.

Cons

Because it is so customizable there is a lot to do to make use of the full capabilities of WUG. It would also be nice to see external integrations via an API of some sort bring able to quickly pull info from WUG using a Slack or Teams bot would be handy. An enhancement of the reporting capabilities such as embedded dashboards allowing users to present information from WUG on other websites and services would help admins present WUG information to customers more easily.

Response from Progress Software

Replied August 2020

Steve from BVRMC

Simple and easy to use

I have had positive experiences with WhatsUpGold. The sales staff and tech support are friendly and knowledgeable.

Pros

This software is simple and easy to use. The alerts it gives the I.S. Department are very valuable in that we have so much infrastructure it would be very difficult to monitor all of it in real time. WhatsUpGold makes that task much easier and often lets us know when there is an issue before we would be informed otherwise.

Cons

There is so much information sent to I.S. it could fill up your mailbox pretty quickly if you don't keep on top of it.

Price and capability.

Response from Progress Software

Replied August 2020

Mike from Union Sanitary District

Always Improving, Some Layer 2 Problems

Adequate tool for monitoring and sending alerts to the IT members, with escalations if not resolved

Pros

It is mostly reliable. Great scan engine, intuitive, maintenance mode with time limits, lots of great features

Cons

Layer 2 auto-maps are not reliable. I have opened several tickets and these problems never get resolved. If this feature worked reliably it would be a huge time saver.

Reasons for Choosing WhatsUp Gold

Too busy to evaluate and switch

Response from Progress Software

Replied October 2020

Dorian from Dura-Line

Industry: Utilities

Great program for monitoring and maintaining your IT infrastructure

Pros

Basic installation and configuration of WUG is very easy. Out of the box, there are many monitors that can be set up without a large amount of experience. The titles and tooltips make setting up the initial software package very simple.

Cons

Adding non-default alerts seem to be a little more difficult than should be.

Reasons for Switching to WhatsUp Gold

Value vs cost. Features were more extensive and ease of use was greater.

Paul from SUNY Buffalo State

I have had nothing but outstanding experience with IPswitch and it's staff.

Our Network and VM monitoring has improved by 200%

Pros

First is its reliability. I have matched it against other products such as CACTI and more accurate in the numbers game. Also, its flexibility when it comes to even exporting and importing of databases to new versions of WUG. Another aspect I like is how there is always constant improvement with the product. The versions never stay static. Always moving forward. I have in recent made of suggestion and IPSwitch said they would investigate it and possibly have it in a beta release.

Cons

This is a most difficult question to answer. If I had to come up with anything ... It is that they are under staffed. Every single employee on tech side, sales, marketing must be working 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Answers are always 100 percent correct but the same staff answers your questions. Those employee s need help. Hire !!!

Chad from First Insurance Company of Hawaii

WhatsUp Gold is great to alert on all types of devices

Benefit of proactively maintaining the full network

Pros

It allows me to monitor all of the network remotely. I'm able to monitor switches, websites, computers, temperature, etc. I just need to only look at my email to be able to see down statuses of devices

Cons

Taking the time to research how to configure monitoring takes up a lot of my time. Wish there were more instructional videos.

Response from Ipswitch

Replied June 2018

Jeffrey from Danville Area School District

Review for k-12 educational technology

It has been a great experience. Many years ago I used WUG in business and I now use it in education. It has evolved tremendously and is a go-to in my everyday arsenal.

Pros

I use many features on a continuous basis. It allows me to be proactive when I see potential issues. In this current world it is essential. I quickly get alerted when things go down and when other things hit thresholds. This has been an awesome addition to my arsenal and saved me on more than one occassion.

Cons

I really do not have any complaints. This offers me exactly what I need and doesn't over complicate things. There are minor hiccups but nothing worth mentioning in this survey.

Reasons for Choosing WhatsUp Gold

I've tried other products but came back to WUG because it is reliable and hits all of my touch points.

Response from Progress Software

Replied August 2020

Denys from East Syracuse Minoa CSD

Happy customer

using for network issues troubleshooting . Very convenient tool

Pros

Currently we're using ping , http monitoring for internal network and also for outsided websites. In live gives me the picture of what's happening with the network if any problems. Overall gives what I'm expecting. I know there are a lot of other features available but don't use them yet.

Cons

It's sitting on the local server so I don't have access to it from outside (from app for example) which not very convenient. Also, we had to purchase third party monitoring system to monitor What's up, in case any problem with internet or with actual server. To have some outside monitoring system would be helpful too.

Was here before I started (5+ years) and I'm happy with it

Response from Progress Software

Replied January 2021

JAMES from Lowell Public Schools

Great monitoring, alerting and switch config backup

Running it for over 4 years and it never went down. Reliable alerting once you get it setup.

Pros

Automated Switch config backups. Great monitoring and alerting systems. Easy viewing and great for displaying on a monitor.

Cons

Complicated alarm setup. No mobile option.

More features.

Response from Progress Software

Replied January 2021

Del from Rainbow Rehab

Excellent monitoring

We switched to WUG from OPManager, brought network monitoring back in house. This saved the company $33K a year. I had previously used WUG at a different company. When I mentioned the potential cost saving the CIO (Big fan of Solarwinds) thought I might be biased, so he gave the project to the other engineer. Luckily he came up with the same results. I was able to display the same information (add more) on the big screen with WUG vs Solarwinds, so the CIO agreed to switch.

Pros

I like the easy of the setup and flexibility of the product. We had two other products SolarWinds and OPmanager. Both complicated compared to WUG. To the point we were not using them accept for the basics. Just today I added a new site.

Cons

Some bulk items have to be done on the server and can't be done on the webpage

Reasons for Choosing WhatsUp Gold

I used it in the past and the other network engineer came up with the same result and cost savings.

Reasons for Switching to WhatsUp Gold

We switched to WUG from OPManager, brought network monitoring back in house. External Company used Solarwinds, so we were running both. This saved the company $33K a year.

excellent monitoring software

we started using this software many years ago. originally, we started before the Gold version existed. it has been running ever since, and it usually provides the first warning when something goes wrong. it also tells us when something is starting to look a little funny, so most of the time we can address the issue before it becomes an issue.

Pros

you can monitor just about anything with this software. that's the whole point of monitoring. if you can't monitor everything you want, you need to find a different product.

Cons

feature wise, i have no problems with the software. however, it is a little pricey. it's not anywhere near as expensive as some other monitoring suites, but it is still a little pricey for a small business.

Response from Ipswitch

Replied December 2019

Thank you for your review and for being a valued customer. We appreciate your feedback!

Raul from Maspeth Federal Savings and Loan Association

Quick & Easy

Pros

We deployed this in less than a day and had it configured pretty well in a few days.

Cons

The licensing is a bit complicated, so that took some time before deploying it to make sure we had the right license.

Response from Progress Software

Replied January 2021

Springman from Sasaki

Visibility is the key

Setting up took a bit time but once it's up and running, pretty much worry free. LOVE IT.

Pros

I have been using WhatsUp Gold since 2007 while the main purpose at the time is to see "what is up and what is down". Over the course of the past 13 year as a WUG user, the focus, to me, is switching to have the visibility of our entire network. How is our Internet bandwidth usage? How is the CPU/memory consumption on the application server, etc. I can't imagine how I can do troubleshooting without WUG.

Cons

The VoIP and Wireless module they offer do not work with what we have. That's probably the only down side that I wish everything can be included in one tool.

Response from Progress Software

Replied January 2021

Bernie from CCSNH

I use it everyday for the past 15 years. Earlier versions were a bit easier to understand.

Pros

I like the graphics. The graphs are great. The product does a lot. It is familiar to me as I've used WUG since 1998

Cons

The product is complex to setup. I need direction/training on all that it can do as it is no longer obvious.

Response from Ipswitch

Replied June 2018

David from CTSH

Industry: Law Practice

WhatsUp Gold in SBM Law Firm

Monitoring of our IT infrastructure for availability and performance. it is easy to create monitoring policy and alerts for a small IT shop to be more proactive in spotting potential service impacting events

Pros

The ease of setup and configuration allowed for minimal time and staff to create our monitoring environment. It is intuitive enough that all staff members can easily make required changes and that is a blessing for small IT environments .

Cons

The additional virtual machine monitoring add-on is not up to where it needs to be. individual Hyper-V Server monitoring is ok but once you try and manage and monitor a failover cluster it becomes a mess. This addon is not ready for non VMware environments.

dave from Self-Employed

Great for keeping track of complicated systems

I've worked in many offices and data centers that use this, and it seems to be the standard. So it's refreshing to walk into a new work-space and already be comfortable using WhatsUp. It's one of the more widespread used software packages (probably for a good reason!)

Pros

I had used other monitoring software before but none were as easy to use and reliable as WhatsUp Gold. The visual representation of your system is the most valuable because it makes everything so much easier to explain over the phone to people. You can have custom settings, alarms, triggers, etc that can all notify the right people. It makes it so much easier to keep things going and have the proper users/admins involved. The way it keeps everything organized is very useful and saves a lot of time with guess-work.

Cons

WhatsUp can be a little on the sensitive side, which I supposed can be a plus for some important machines - but annoying for others. I've had a few times where there were false triggers or errors that weren't a big deal. But from the customer point of view, I'd view this as a gain. It's always good to be ultra aware of whats happening on your network, especially if it's your job!

Response from Ipswitch

Replied January 2019

Thank you Dave for the review and for being a customer.

Frank from Evesham Schools

WhatsUp Gold allows us to be proactive

Pros

It allows us to fix most things before the phone calls come pouring in

Cons

We are very happy with the software for what we use it for, daily network monitoring.

Ease of use

Kay from Chevron Phillips Chemical Co LP

Industry: Chemicals

Great for monitoring network equipment

Provides great monitoring for network issues and machines connected to the network

Pros

The ability to monitor critical machines and connections to observer performance, switching, and other issues. We use email alerts which reach the IT team via email which we can get at our desk or on our mobile phone cuts down on the response time to resolve any issues. The backup configurations and archiving in WhatsUp performs very well. the application is used for both Cisco routers and switches.

Cons

Web interface functionality could be improved and will need to get additional training to fully utilize all the features available in What's Up for maximum usage.

Scott from Share One

long time customer

Very good. ive been very pleased with the service and depend on this daily to deliver important health updates.

Pros

ive used this product over 20 years. the last five years has seen this product grow and stabilize, with very good customer service. ease of use after deployment. dont be fooled. any product in this catagory needs extensive planning. if you do this, it will pay dividends.

Cons

we see that when flexibility is added, so is the complexity. there is a learning curve. but this applies also to similar competitive products.

Response from Progress Software

Replied October 2020

Thank you for being a long time valued customer and for your review!

Jeff from Township Of Centre Wellington

WhatsUp Gold Features

I have this on all my switch and SCADA network, on the switch I can break to see performance monitoring Switch interfaces, Utilization, Memory and CPU pretty simply, grouping is also a nice feature.

Pros

This product was easy to setup and scan your network, with a few clicks you are off and running monitoring your devices. Another nice feature is the up and down dependency which stops 100's of alerts firing off all at once. The mapping is a nice feature to see all of your network in one glance.

Cons

I wish this product was cloud based and a mobile app

Reasons for Choosing WhatsUp Gold

The product was price right for the features.

David from Stroock & Stroock & Lavan

Industry: Law Practice

WhatsUp gold is a good bare bones monitoring tool. The UI and UX is probably one of the worst

Provides basic reporting. What you see is sometimes what you get, but there could be so much more potential with the product.

Pros

the product is not expensive. The ease of use has slightly improved. Upgrades and patches are no longer a problem like they were in the past.

Cons

I don't trust the alerting The UI and UX is terrible. The dashboards you can create are extremely limiting There doesn't seem to be any built-in "hey you haven't been alerting on X,Y,Z, but you should because our other customers do and they see improved results" The competition is leaps and bounds ahead, but so is their price point.

Daniel from JR Automation

Industry: Machinery

Development is a little slow, but breadth of functionality is decent

Overall, there are better solutions dedicated to networking, and solutions dedicated to

Pros

Discovery of devices works really well. The ability to create custom SNMP, WMI, and Powershell monitors is also very valuable.

Cons

The frequency of supported monitors being built and added to the solution is quite slow. For example, Unifi support has been discussed for multiple years, but is still not available.

Reasons for Choosing WhatsUp Gold

Renewal price was much cheaper than new purchase and ability to support networking and systems monitoring in one pane of glass.

Dustin from TransAct Technologies

Industry: Printing

WhatsUp Gold as a Monitoring Tool

I enjoyed using the Windows application view and took a while but I'm now comfortable with the web interface. It provides a critical part of our monitoring environment.

Pros

The ability to easily monitor various items such as Services, Logs (via syslog), SNMP, WMI. Sending periodic reports via email to get snapshots of the system and network statuses.

Nagios, PRTG, Solarwinds.

Response from Progress Software

Replied January 2021

Perry from Widener University

We have been using Whats Up Gold for 17 years and love it!

We live in a very mobile world! I can travel anywhere and get text messages whenever something fails! I am always the first to know when something is down!

Pros

I have worked with many other platforms and the setup and configuration takes many weeks to perform. What's Up Gold can be set up in a day! It is extremely easy to work with. We monitor over 200 switches on our network. The notifications we get are very reliable!

Cons

Loved look and feel of Version 16.5. We are staying on that for awhile. The newer versions are much different and I am not ready to change.... my problem.

Multiple sets of eyeballs for a small team

Pros

The fact that WhatsUp Gold is so versatile is a huge win. You can do basically anything you need with it, and with us having a two person IT Ops team to cover the availability of all systems and services, it really acts as an all-seeing set of eyes into our infrastructure.

Cons

With versatility comes complexity of implementation. It's not as easy as just adding a new monitor. You have to have the type selected, include a maintenance schedule, etc.

Response from Progress Software

Replied September 2020

Tina from Vallejo City USD

WhatsUp Gold is a great product!

It aids us in troubleshooting our network when a device like a switch or router goes down.

Pros

I like that it sends us notifications when a device goes down on the network. It allows us to be able to start troubleshooting before we get a call from a customer. The Network Traffic Analysis tool also helps us to monitor traffic and find potential problems.

Cons

I don't really have any complaints about the product.

Reasons for Choosing WhatsUp Gold

The price was reasonable.

Response from Progress Software

Replied October 2020

Jacek from Criticall

Its great, really easy to use and allows IT to be more proactive about their environment. Its nicely displayed in our team area on a digital NOC.

Pros

Useful dashboards, and alerts that allows our team to fully see how our environment is behaving in realtime. Allows us to be more proactive than reactive.

Cons

It would be great if this application came with all the "add-on" instead of purchasing individual plugins.

Reasons for Choosing WhatsUp Gold

I inherited this product, but have become a big fan of the application.

Very Impressive

Quite an impressive tool, highly recommended

Pros

WhatsUp Gold helps to monitor network traffic for branches in remote location. It can easily notify on a particular network issue in a remote area which can be quickly attended to to prevent downtime. WhatsUp Gold also allows the easy monitoring of servers and applications.

Cons

- As helpful as this tool is, it should be modified to provide more details on issues identified

Response from Ipswitch

Replied April 2019

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

Good, but has an antiquated licensing model...

My experience has been pretty good, but as of right now we're looking at other more cost effective options.

Pros

I like how reliable it is. Once you've got it set up, it just keeps on chugging no matter how many fires are happening around it. It integrates well with PagerDuty and covers the bulk of our monitoring needs.

Cons

I don't like the licensing model. We have multiple sites and we have to set up fully licensed instances at those remote sites for monitoring of those resources. Additionally, we don't have a way to combine all of those remote sites into a single pane of glass with our main site so that we can get a holistic view of our enviornment.

WUG is a good software that save me time and my company money.

Less downtime and a better vision into how my very large site is doing. It's too far to walk around checking things all the time.

Pros

You can monitor nearly anything all at the same time. Anything from Database instances to a single SNMP trap can be monitored. Alerting works great and saves me the trouble of telling someone a room is overheating or power is out.

Cons

Setup can be rather finicky and difficult to understand. Response time is also rather slow and can fool you into thinking it's not working.

Nick from IMP Aerospace & Defence

Great product that monitors our devices

System awareness

Pros

Know as soon as something goes down. Or when something is getting close to causing you headaches. Don't be in the dark or find out on a Friday night that your server crashed when you could easily avoid it with proper notifications.

Cons

Interface is not intuitive and could use a redesign. Once you figure out it your ok but takes some googeling to find functionality. Custom notifications windows could use a serious rework.

Paul from Sonnax Transmission Company

Been using WUG for 10+ years, great product!

Ability to identify network traffic bottlenecks, down devices or down monitors of devices.

Pros

Layer 2 maps of network with an easy to read & understand status are great. When analyzing network traffic, the ability to filter down to a specific devices' traffic has allowed me to identify networking issues on multiple occasions.

Cons

Challenges working with web interface, sometimes there are issues with certain browsers not being able to perform certain functions.

Michael from Airlines Reporting Corp

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

What's Up Gold

i really love the bandwidth utilization information on our network equipment and that also goes for our wifi network.

Pros

We mainly use WUG for SNMP monitoring of our network. This tool is quite useful for our operations team to use off hours. We have WUG setup to page the network team and/or our operations team can page when devices are down.

Cons

I would say my network map but I haven't spent a lot of time organizing it.

cost and ease of use.

Great Insight into our network

Pros

What's Up Gold give us the ability to tailor it to how much view we want. As well as even starting software for us if/when it crashed on a particular machine. Outside of the standard up/down view it provides it also provides very customizable view/access to our network.

Cons

Can get a bit expensive to cover on how the licensing is done but other than that it works great.

Response from Progress Software

Replied January 2021

Kirk from SELCO Community Credit Union

My Review

It's been mostly positive, low costs, and easy to use and set up.

Pros

Ease of use. Ease of configuration. Simple process of adding new systems, and we can tie it into web site uptime monitoring with iDrone.

Cons

Occasional false positives, too many alerts, but thats likely how we have it configured.

Reasons for Choosing WhatsUp Gold

I was familiar with it from past jobs, and it was inexpensive and better than our home grown product we were using.

Omar from Rybovich Boat Company

Industry: Maritime

Systems Monitoring

Pros

I have always told my teams that something is down when it impacts the business. WhatsUp Gold alerts me of issues, before they impact the business. There is easy reporting and remediation actions when systems have issues.

Cons

It can be complex to setup when monitoring business and database processes, besides the standard network, server and VMware monitoring.

Response from Progress Software

Replied August 2020

Scott from NECC

The interface is getting more cumbersome and tedious to navigate

General monitoring was great, but it's become more difficult to configure for the way we wanted to use it. Free tools now will do the same thing with the same amount of work.

Pros

It was the ease of use, but that's going away. The ability to use a single service monitor to monitor multiple devices. Too bad thats going away.

Cons

It's gotten cumbersome to use and now the monitors all need to be scripted vs a generic monitor you can use for multiple devices.