• Pros

• "This is extremely affordable software for everyday Church needs. Their customer support is extremely helpful. Interface is easy to manage."

• "The dashboard is very powerful and provides a lot of data up front. Reports look very professional. Customer support is excellent!"

• "It is very easy to use and saves us money from having our Accounting come on site weekly. The articles, tutorials, and staff are great. "

• Cons

• "I wish the giving statements were easily customizable. They look good, but it would be great for us if we could customize them."

• "The setup process can take some effort so that the software can perform what is desired to be accomplished and is properly customized for it."

• "It is a little pricey. However, despite it being pricier than programs such as Quickbooks and other accounting software, the cloud-based feature more than makes up for its cost."

Browse Aplos Fund Accounting Reviews

Brandon from Tidelands Church

Simple and easy, but with advanced features for those who need it.

We began using Aplos as a brand new church. They helped us every step of the way as we grew - absolutely stellar customer service! We still don't have the complexity that some larger churches do, but every time we have needed to add something, the capacity has been there. The one exception was the lack of payroll integration, which I understand that they are now adding but we have not used yet. What I love about the product is that it is easy for us who are new to accounting to use, but also robust enough that our treasure (CPA) is able to use it in more complex ways.

Pros

Cloud-based Accounting with multiple user accounts makes it easy to keep finances updated. Clean, simple, straight-forward layout makes use easy. Super-responsive customer service are always there when you need them. Bank integration makes it easy to import transactions. Contact management. Reports are quick and easy to generate with customized data. Ability to connect to online-giving.

Cons

At the moment we are unable to link families within the contact management system. There are awesome graphs and charts on the dashboard, but unfortunately they do not have a lot of customization options or the ability to easily export.

Wendy from Kure Beach First Baptist Church

APLOS Software for my Small (but growing) Church

The people at APLOS are great to work with. Easy to reach out to, quick to respond, They are really good at listening to my particular need and showing me how APLOS helps with it vs. just a generic response. Also, you can't beat the price. (I got a Black Friday 50% off special for a year). I looked at other options - some were too much for my need (both cost and complexity) and some could be made to work (Quickbooks for example) but were not really designed for a church. This is PERFECT for us.

Pros

I purchased this software to help me take on a new role as treasurer of a small church. Am about 6 weeks into a "practice period" and will wipe out my practice data and start clean in January. It has (almost) everything I could want and some things I did not expect. The people database for church members, vendors, & prospects supports communication and there are robust accounting features (budgeting, bill pay, offerings, etc.). It has predesigned reports of all kinds that can be easily customized. You can import and export data. And it is really easy to use. Clearly designed for non-professionals like me - a volunteer doing a treasurer's job. Loved it from the first time I started playing with it during the free trial period. Also the resources (webinars, academy, one on one support) are great! Have watched several webinars, and chatted with people in customer support several times to get specific guidance/suggestions on my questions.

Cons

Have found only 2 things missing so far: 1) My pastor wants the ability to use the letter/email functions to communicate with members (uses the contact database) without seeing their donation records - and right now that "separation" isn't available. Also in recording donations, I would like to differentiate between cash and check because you need that info to make your bank deposit. APLOS doesn't provide for that. There's a workaround but not a great one. Customer Service made note of both of these needs for future releases.

joseph from Youth Assist Network

Aplos Review

will give it a 7/10 for easy use and a not so expensive budget but the biggest proof the software is to be able to do most of the accounting jobs in one software and even a person with low accounting knowledge can easily decode the information on the software

Pros

-easy to use and setup -offers the project management and budget setup which is crucial for my office -its an all in one package that allows any organization to fulfill their accounting needs in one place

Cons

the lack of social media management and it does not integrate well with some of our fundraising softwarew

William from Saint Kateri Tekakwitha Conservation Center

Very Difficult and Complicated, With Poor Tech Support

Not good. I need help, and the support never provides help that works.

Pros

Had potential for non-profits vs QuickBooks

Cons

Bank integration does not work. I've used QuickBooks for non-profits, with integration that works fine. In Aplos, what shows up in Aplos doesn't match what the banks say. Tech support answers fairly quickly, however, they come up with all kinds of solutions that don't work. And different people will offer a different solution. None of them work. Then they drop it leaving me hanging. I may go back to QuickBooks which once you get a few words down (business terms vs non-profit) it is actually quite easy, and more dependable.

Reasons for Choosing Aplos Fund Accounting

I believed the Aplos advertising, and the trial offer of a low price.

Response from Aplos

Replied June 2020

Hi William! Thank you for your feedback, and I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you've had concerning bank integration. You also mentioned using QuickBooks instead, so if you don't mind I'll briefly speak to both. QuickBooks creates and maintains its own bank integration feature, whereas Aplos has a partnership with Plaid and Finicity, which are industry leaders in the space. Plaid and Finicity both connect with the financial institutions and pass the information back to Aplos. We have very little control over the information received. However, we do have a great relationship with both partners, and consistently work with them on improving the experience for our customers. As for using QuickBooks, this may be a better fit if you do not need Fund Accounting and donor management. Our Customer Success Director, Alex Acree, will be reaching out personally to help troubleshoot the bank integration issues you're seeing. If you have any other questions or feedback please let us know.

April from Alliance Christian Center, Inc.

The Aplos Advantage

Our church accounting is much more efficient with Aplos. It is easy to set up and use. I'm able to keep track of multiple accounts with ease. Two of us use the software almost daily and have never had any issues or hiccups.

Pros

I love that this software is cloud based. All entries are automatically saved and easy to correct or delete. Because it is "in the cloud" I can access from anywhere.

Cons

Instead of using accounting terminology, they use simpler words or methods. It all makes sense, but I had to get used to words such as tags and purposes.

Response from Aplos

Replied August 2020

Thank you, April, for the review! We are happy to hear that you like our product and our tech support.

Susan from State Street

Great for our small Condo Association

They are incredibly responsive, and when we initially set up the Accounts, they spent the time with me to help set us up based on our needs.

Pros

Bank Integration is a huge benefit. As the Treasurer of a small condominium association (volunteer job), I only need to spend a couple of hours a month on our financials. Running reports for our condo meetings and taxes is a breeze.

Cons

Its not completely made for condo association accounting, but we've been able to retrofit our needs. Funds doesn't exactly translate to the accounts we track, as we really do have 3 separate bank accounts. This requires an extra step in our monthly recons, but its not awful.

Don from First United Methodist Church of Hico

Great for church finances and more

Much more accurate accounting and record keeping, balancing with bank deposits.

Pros

We made the transition from paper to online accounting via Aplos. It is very easy to make entries and retrieve reports, keep up with contributions and even church membership.

Cons

Users with little computer experience could be put off a bit but that would be the case with any online accounting system.

Response from Aplos Software

Replied January 2020

Thank you for the valuable review, Don! We appreciate the fact you're enjoying Aplos.

Gurpreet from Harvest KL

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] (Customer Serice) - Thank You!

Fantastic! Big shout out to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] who helped us with billing. His customer centric approach really reflected a genuine care and concern for us as a customer and ensures we will continue using Aplos. Thanks [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. Great stuff man.

Pros

Features, usability. I am still learning but the software helps provide great clarity for the management of account of our church.

Cons

Not too sure. Still learning how to use the software and maximise on its features. Will keep you informed if i have some ideas. Happy to share.

Response from Aplos

Replied June 2020

Thank you, Gurpreet, for the review! We are happy to hear that you like our product and customer service.

Michael from CWRT Congress, Inc.

GREAT Software

The overall versatility of Aplos is outstanding. Tracking donors with a functional database is wonderful. The WePay integration is phenomenal. And, although I haven't used it yet, the event management aspect will save us time and money.

Pros

That it was written specifically for nonprofit organizations.

Cons

Knowledge base could be improved by including better word recognition.

Response from Aplos

Replied June 2020

Thank you, Michael, for your review. We are happy to see that you enjoy our software! We will definitely look into the knowledge base improvement.

William from Village Heights

Aplos makes accounting easy and efficient!

Pros

It's obvious the creators of Aplos designed this platform with church accounting in mind. I really like how flexible and customizable it is!

Cons

I do wish the reporting and descriptive graphics were a little more dynamic. This would help when presenting budgets to staff, boards or investors.

Bart from Trinity Lutheran Church

Floats to the top

Aplos is doing the job for me. Some things are frustrating, but mostly, it's better than doing things by hand or by spreadsheet. Occasionally odd things happen. For instance, it's now January 17, and the home page is telling me that my YTD income is different from my monthly income. This can't be true in January. Similar things happen in some reports. The balance sheet will say that a fund has X dollars, but the report for that fund will say Y dollars. So there are some quirks to get around, but it's no worse than making a spreadsheet (or other software that knows nothing about fund accounting) behave. I like the reports Aplos generates. Especially at the end of the year, when everyone in our congregation wants a statement for their taxes. It's really just one button. If I were the boss of Aplos, the first thing I'd change is that I'd clean up the wasted screen real-estate. There's a button on the bottom right that has a bad habit of covering half the number I want to see, and pop-up "alerts" occasionally disrupt my work. And the box the pop-ups come from is also wasted screen area. Actually, this box keeps telling me I'm 85% set up. It's wrong. I'm as set up as I want to be. I can't see how to make the box go away, except to buy more product which I don't need. This amounts to a pop-up ad, and not the good kind. So this isn't a glowing review. But software nowadays is written so poorly, that bare competence floats to the top. Aplos is better than anything else I've used, but that's not saying a lot. If they raise the price again, I'm going back to spreadsheets.

Pros

Fairly clean interface. Most reports are close to what I want.

Cons

It's still buggy. Amounts that should match, don't always. The cost has tripled in the last 3 years.

Response from Aplos Software

Replied March 2017

Hi Bart, If the numbers are off by a few dollars, this may be due to rounding. If you¿d like, our Support Team would be happy to look into this to give you a more specific answer. Please feel free to reach out to our Support Team at support@aplos.com. For the Setup alert: You can click on the Go To Setup button and choose some of the options like, I don¿t want to set Starting Balances. Or, there are feature options that you can say ¿no¿ to, like Contributions. This should help clear that alert. Also, sorry that the bottom right icon is a bit pesky. We want you to be able to contact our Support Team if you ever have questions, so that¿s why it¿s there, but we realize that it can sometimes get in the way. That¿s a suggestion that we¿re happy to pass along to our development team. The Aplos Team

Terry from In2Out

March 2015

Amazing Fund Accounting software for small to medium non-profits!

If you are busy with the stuff that your non-profit is about, and accounting for the organisation is a necessary dragon, then Aplos will be your knight in shining armor to slay it! Having implemented a number of other products for small organisations in the past (Quickbooks, Xero, Sage, MS Dynamics GP) I have to give the award for easiest, quickest & most readily accepted to Aplos. If you want to account for your Funds discretely (separate pots of income) then Aplos just works! Took about an hour to sign up and set up a sandbox (using the trial license) to represent the way my small organisation works - I uncovered a couple of desirable features for product development (see later) but within another 30 minutes I had reports and analysis that would do the job for us so much better than my grumpy accountant! - I showed the software to a user who, after a 5 minute demo, needed no more explanation and was able to enter transactions with multiple expense lines each separately analysed by fund. The user interface is clearly the 'killer' feature - it is so intuitive that I wonder why others didn't think of it (why didn't I think of it?). The transaction input process for most accounting products is the 'ugly baby' of the product - in Aplos it's the wonder child! Some caveats to bring this back to earth... a) The product is currently for the North American market - needs additional features to make it more readily accepted in UK/Europe: 1. Needs a parameterised currency symbol (we don't do dollars!) - but the easy export of reports allows replacement of currency symbol in Excel. 2. Online donations (a great feature!) require a US Bank Account 3. Needs Paypal integration 4. UK giving sites like justgiving.com are very common - integration needed b) Many grant funders want a full budget before grant - we then need to account against the budget elements (e.g. £500 for travel + £5000 for salary). Aplos currently doesn't budget by Fund element (just at Fund level) but the Income Report provides a full breakdown by expense for each Fund (so allowing manual comparison). The free support provided by Aplos is responsive and helpful and I am assured that most of these features are on future development plans. I'm just going to go ahead and sign up for the paid version - I need this software so that I can get on with the purpose of our Charity!! Terry Wilcox Project Director In2Out www.in2out.org.uk

Patty from Desert Outreach Synagogue

Aplos far out performs its competition

Overall, this is the best software for the money and I highly recommend it both for the product and the customer service.

Pros

The set up and functionality of the software is wonderfully easy. I've been using it for a little over a year and the security of having it all online and not having to worry about backups or workstation failures is great. Report flexibility is fantastic. I can create any report for any time period with ease. The customer service people are generally very helpful and on the rare occasion that a question doesn't get answered, the second attempt is always successful. But, it's rare to have to call back.

Cons

The only problem is that the donor statements are not posted from any screen other than the contributions screen. You cannot effect the donor statement from A/R, A/P or AJE's. You must then prepare a deposit and mark it to NOT post to the system. While this is a small inconvenience, it is not highlighted in the tutorials and takes a couple head scratching hours to figure out when first using the software. Once understood, it's a simple workaround.

Roslyn from Mecklenburg Baptist Church

Great Software for Non-profits

Aplos has THE BEST Customer Service team you could ask for! No matter what the issue or who answers the phone, I am always treated professionally and courteously. For example, I recently called because our church was changing our fiscal year from the calendar year to a July-June year. In a matter of minutes, I was on my way with my questions answered! At times when what I wanted wasn't available in the software, I have always been told that my request would be sent to the IT team for review and consideration. I like the fact that Aplos LISTENS to its customers and responds! The webinars and support areas offered are always helpful as well. Lastly, I personally enjoy the humor of the Aplos team; and the occasional contests/prizes are fun, too!

Pros

The software is basically user-friendly.

Cons

Some areas (like events) don't allow me all the options I wish were available.

Brandon from Tidelands Church

Perfect Solution For A Church Plant

Starting a new church comes with a lot of tasks for a small group of people that are typically spread out between many in larger churches. We didn't have anyone with professional accounting experience, and we didn't need anything complicated to start out. Aplos was the perfect solution! They offered us a discount as a church plant, and got us moving in the right direction. Now four years into the process, Aplos has grown with us. We have been able to easily add others to the account management, add new funds and new features as we have grown, and the customer service has been quick and helpful whenever we have needed it. Some things I like best: *easy to use *the "dashboard" gives a quick read on finances at a glance *fund-based accounting makes it easy to track various donations *customer service is excellent *cloud-based design makes access easy from anywhere Things I would like to see improved: *I would love to be able to integrate payroll with Aplos *Report can be customized, but not always as much as we would like Overall, this is an excellent product for the value and I would recommend it to anyone starting out.

Pros

Ease of use Fund-based accounting Cloud-based design Scalable Excellent customer support

Cons

Wish it included payroll integration Would like to be able to customize reports more

Brian from Grace Evangelical Free Church

Great Church Software with wonderful customer service

We have been very satisfied with Aplos as our main accounting software. The customer service has been top notch and many of our suggestions about improving the software have been implemented into new versions. Hoping for a more robust Contacts module (email, texting, more information tracking) in the future!

Pros

Its online. Multiple user access. Great reporting. Easy to use. Great customer service.

Cons

The Contacts module is very limited - would be great to have more contact management tools (email, texting, grouping, tracking) so that we wouldn't have to have a separate software for that. Other software was somewhat disappointing - hasn't always worked correctly and a bit confusing on how it integrates with Aplos.

Sherry from Rescue Pink

Good Software for Beginning Nonprofits

Pros

I like that everything is all together in one spot - donor software, accounting, newletters and online giving forms. I like how when someone gives online through your forms that it automatically incorporates into your accounting and saves info from the giver into your contacts. Their customer service and support is their beacon of light. Extreme strong point. It's almost as if you have nonprofit accountant on your staff to answer your questions. They answer you quickly, and their answers are always helpful. And often times they've logged in and completely helped me fix an issue. This is the best thing I love about them and something that makes them completely unique. This was a game changer for me as a brand new nonprofit and didn't know what I was doing. I can't say enough about this! This is what makes me recommend them to everyone I know that's a nonprofit leader.

Cons

The newsletter email templates and online giving forms are very template-y and don't give you a lot of control. The final product can help you get information out, however it looks pretty amateurish, which in turn makes your nonprofit/your brand, look amateurish - which is more important than most people know. If Aplos could follow constant contact's lead on design formatting they would be top notch. The other thing I don't like is often I'm fundraising for events and have options for customers to pick (example : I want to buy tickets for an event and a tshirt for two people), or want them to be able to buy multiples of items and it really needs somewhat of a "cart" option for online giving forms. Third, I get lots of complaints from customers about the transaction errors which make it hard to give. I get this a lot. Which can hinder givers, often they won't go back again and give again when they get an email way later that the transaction didn't go through, so you lose donations. I've addressed this with them several times, but there hasn't been any resolution. I think it has to do with that the provider they use does a micro-transaction to the bank and then banks don't approve it.

Linda from Friends for Life Foodshelf

Aplos Fund Accounting

I have used the basic version Aplos for our small nonprofit foodshelf for nearly a year. I am a novice at accounting, so I started with the fun, informative teaching videos and it all made sense. Initially setting up the accounts we needed took some thought, but it was up and running in a short time. I'm able to enter transactions quickly, make changes easily as needed, and run all the reports I need for our payroll taxes. I love the fact that it doesn't use more complicated terminology, like "customer, vendor, employee" like QB, because that's not what we call our donors and suppliers. I like the check printing function, too, but it would be great if Aplos could print deposit slips. I have to re-enter into QB and then print it out, or do a handwritten deposit slip. Other than that, I am very happy with Aplos. Have not needed customer support yet, except to ask if it had a deposit slip printing function. My answer was prompt and courteous. Our Board was pleased that we were able to get a discount on the monthly rate since we have a small budget, and the fact that Aplos is cloud-based means both the treasurer and foodshelf manager can access the software without going onsite. Definitely a PLUS! Bank reconciliation is a breeze, too.

Pros

I liked the ease of navigating the different functions, ease of setting up accounts and budget, the cloud-based format, the number and types of reports that meet all our needs, and the easy bank reconciliation function. Our small nonprofit got a monthly discount. Training videos very to-the-point and entertaining too.

Cons

I wish Aplos had a deposit slip printing function in the basic version - not sure if they do in the upgrade?

Dr Rev Brian from Mobile Care Ministry Inc & BEM Enterprises

Aplos Software Review: Why it's the best Software for Small Non-Profits

I would recommend it to anyone who needs both an accounting and donor management solution for their non-profit organization.

Pros

A complete package that handles both your accounting needs and donor management needs. Is very affordable. Aplos has a program for new non-profits that makes it even more affordable. Has a program that does email marketing for you and collects emails thus building your donor base. Lets you design online web pages to post. Form 990 Reporting. Excellent Customer Service and will schedule regular calls with you to train you on the software. However it's easier to use than QuickBooks. Directly links to your checking account so that your balances are updated continuously. Takes online payments through WePay Can manage up to 5000 contacts. Contribution statements emailed to your donors. Can Integrate with Paypal

August 2014

Denise from Onos CPA

August 2014

Aplos is perfect for Non-Profits who want easy bookkeeping.

Pros

It is affordable for every non-profit. It is very simple and basic to use, and they have great customer service. They saw a need for non-profits to have an easier way of doing their finances other than Quickbooks and met that need at a very affordable price, which is very important to non profits. Simplicity is important because often, the bookkeeper is a volunteer and does not have the experience required to use a cumbersome program like QuickBooks. I like that they allow you to use if free for a month first to try it out. We have never experienced a time when we could not get on the Aplos website. I am in an accountant's office, and I love the fact that I can go online anytime to check on my client's progress with their transactions at no cost to us! This is the sign of a non-greedy company who is here to meet a need.

Cons

The reports available are good and basic, but maybe a few more reports would be helpful, like a cash flow report. Also, since this is a cloud-based program (only available for use over the internet), this may be a downside for some. Simply save all your monthly reports and transactions easily by downloading them into an Excel spreadsheet, and you have all your information on your computer hard drive.

Priscilla from Venture Church

Best customer support ever!

I have been very happy with Aplos Accounting and have used for over 4 years now. My favorite thing about Aplos is the customer support. The Aplos team is easy to reach by phone and have always been willing to help answer questions, give suggestions and solve problems no matter how much time it takes. It's nice to talk to a real person and not to have to email the question and wait for a reply back. Thank you Aplos team for your help over the last 4 years!!!

Pros

Easy to use and Tech support.

Cons

It's hard to think of something but a couple times I have wanted certain items on a report that I couldn't get.

Vickey from Vickey's Bookkeeping Inc

Aplos is Great for Churches and NonProfits

Even with the bank integration issues with some of my clients and the lack of apps that connect, I still highly recommend this awesome accounting and donation tracking software!

Pros

I love the simplicity of using Apolos. It is a great choice for non-accountants! I love the "tags" for tracking fundraisers, programs, projects, etc.

Cons

Not very applications integrate with it such as Hubdoc and Bill.com that I use with my bookkeeping clients. I also have some issues with the bank integration.

Gregory from First Baptist Church

Excellent Software!!!

Pros

This software does it all for non-profits. It's ability to track donors, provide year-end contribution statements, payroll and W-2's, as well as track by budget every transaction helps our small church in ways we'd otherwise have to hire an accountant to do. I'm looking forward to a year of reports that fit our needs. The customizable reports and standard reports make this the flexible program we need around here. It even does a few things that we don't need - like printing checks. Compared to QuickBooks, this just FITS the non-profit better. It's fund accounting helps us manage ear-marked monies as well as multiple accounts. Additionally, the ability to use the software over multiple platforms makes it handy, too. Our treasurer can do his work from home, and we can print the reports anytime from the church. Department heads and the pastor can always check where their budget areas stand. Pretty useful.

Cons

While it's supposed to provide an automatic link to banks, our small-town bank does not work with this program directly. BUT, it's simple to download transactions to a file and import that file into Aplos. Just assign budget categories with transactions - and voila! Reconciled! Of course, this is web-based - demanding internet access. While they say it's quite secure, hackers are always out there. And this makes it a bit vulnerable - potentially.

Billy from Victory Baptist Church, Macon, GA

Great Church Financial Software

After looking at several other church financial software products, we decided on Aplos Software and are very satisfied with the product. It meets all of our needs.

Pros

Aplos software is simple to use and the fund accounts can be easily customized and updated to fit your churches budget categories. Great for volunteer church treasurers. You don't have to be an accountant to use this software. After populating the people management tool and the account set up, all you have to do is enter contributions and maintain the check registry. All of the calculations are performed for you and the reports are built by the software. The reports in the report tool can be downloaded into excel or pdf and used to build monthly treasurer's reports or other budget statements. At the end of the year simply download the contribution statements report, hit print, and you are done. The cost is very affordable compared to other products. The customer service and technical support are outstanding.

Cons

We have had some compatability issues with Internet Explorer 9 in regard to downloading reports. However, the technical support folks at Aplos were quick to respond with a fix. We are a small church so I'm not sure if it would meet all the needs of a larger church. Aplos is expanding their capabilities.

Stephanie from The HelpMe Foundation

Easy to Use Software for Non profits

I really liked the software and the compatibility to link it with your bank account. This software actually does assist with mailing out info to donors and setting up recurring donations etc.

Pros

I liked the ease of use and the fact that you could chat with representatives to assist with any questions. They also provided free webinars often to assist with fundraising tactics and other things.

Cons

Well if you utilize their promotions it is affordable but if not it can be a little costly for a starting non profit.

Efficient and Easy

Pros

The software is easy to use and not too expensive. Minimal accounting or bookkeeping experience is needed.

Cons

I saw the software worked great when our church was small. As it grew the amount of accounting required a program that could keep track of individual versus batch transactions.

Kathryn from Honest Financial Partners

My favorite online software EVER

Pros

Aplos is super user-friendly. The training videos are clear, concise and so helpful. It only takes minutes to set up your system and customize it. And the ability to customize is limitless!!!

Cons

No cons. I've been using Aplos for years and haven't found anything I don't like!

Justine from The Catholic Foundation

Affordable and Friendly

Pros

Cons

I haven't had any issues with donor management and this software. It's a great purchase for organizations.

Melissa from Thresholds Community

Mostly love Aplos

I have had a good experience with Aplos. There are a few things that seem a bit clunky, inefficient and I've asked about changing those. Other than that, it's been great!

Pros

Cons

A few inefficient things (can't hide funds so you don't see them on all of the reports)

David from Propempo International

a wonderful transition from QB

Aplos fund accounting structure helped us organize our accounting in much better consistency and compliance with non-profit standards. QuickBooks forces your to twist and turn their product to fit with non-profit practices. Having online access by multiple "seats" is a big step forward in efficiency. Aplos support staff have been over-the-top and better-than-expected helpful, from initial import or data to addressing specific features we wanted.

Pros

Non-profit structure, multiple seat accessibility online, online giving integration, Form 990 head start

Cons

Costs have a bit more than doubled since we started. Donor receipts customization within Aplos could be much better. Ability to contact Donors individually or as selected segments or as a whole is missing. Would love to be able to send year-end contributions receipts via email PDFs!

Jasmia from Higher Hope International Ministries

Aplos Review

Overall, Aplos has been great with improving the software and I can tell that they are really listening to feedback.

Pros

Cons

The Pledges feature does not have a lot effective reporting so we will not use it.

Tammy from White Oak Baptist church

Excellent program

I have used this program for at least 5 years. The program has grow as my needs change. There are parts of the program that I don't use because I am the treasurer for a small church and I don't need them at this time. Anytime I have contacted the company I have received excellent help.

Pros

Has all of the reports I need even for the contribution reports for taxes. Just a click and you have all of your reports in hand ready to sign and send out.

Cons

Some times I get lost in all of the reports because there are so many.

Ryan from Bible Baptist Church

Extremely easy, cloud-based accounting software

Pros

The fact that Aplos Accounting is cloud-based means that I can access our books from any computer, whether I am at the office or not.

Mary from Gawlicki Family Foundation

Industry: Philanthropy

Great accounting software at an affordable priceI

Great buy for any non-profit.

Pros

This accounting software has many features only found in more expensive packages. Very flexible reporting options. Easy to train set up and train staff.

Cons

I have not found anything I couldn't do with Aplos that I wanted to do other than delete extra rows in a journal entry.

Bev from Rockpoint Church

We have used Aplos since December 2016, and their have been ongoing upgrades and improvements that enhance the operations of the system.

Pros

Improvements, enhancements and options available

Cons

too much additions too quickly without going back to current functions and reports and improving or modifying them.

julie from Friends Organization

Industry: Fine Art

excellent not-for-profit accounting software!

I recently took over the financial for a not-for-profit. I'm not an accountant but good with data and numbers. I researched applications and found aplos fund accounting. After watching some videos and reading articles, I learned how to set up the chart of accounts and enter transactions. After that, it was easy. All of the reports you need are built in to the software. Backups are not needed since it is web-based. And the customer support is exceptional! There is a button on the screen while you work to ask customer support a question. They have always been very prompt in responding. And the support videos, featuring a rep, are very informative and entertaining! I have since entered all transactions for the last 2 fiscal years and produced reports for a grant application. Highly recommend aplos!

Pros

everything. I wish all products had the same high level of customer support that aplos offers.

Cons

nothing to note as of yet.

Carmen from Harvest Bible Church

Aplos Review

Aplos has been great about adding features that are helpful for book-keeping for a church with multiple funds. I appreciate that when feedback is given, Aplos listens and accommodates the needs that we have! Everyone at Aplos is super-friendly and very helpful!

Pros

That it is "multiple-fund friendly". I appreciate the ease of use for recording contributions and expenses.

Cons

Reporting but probably because I'm not sure what I'm doing. Contacts- I wish there was a way to record spouses together as a single contact.

Thomas from SCYP - Church in Anaheim

Aplos Software Simplifies My work

I recommend this product to any small church group or any non-profit organization that depends very much on untrained volunteers to help with the office. Try it out, you'll see the ease of use and the benefits of having multi-users having access from several computers makes it very nice to use.

Pros

I have found Aplos Accounting Software to be simple to use and a great help to us in our organization. I am responsible to pay the bills while the secretary in the office is the one who inputs our deposits and book sales revenue. I can look at the accounting books from anywhere in the world and can make decisions concerning making payments or purchases from anywhere while the office can print out the checks and input the sales. It is as easy to use as my checkbook check register at home and produces reports and database inquiries very easily. Thanks Aplos! I just deleted Quickbooks from my computer, never to go back anymore. Please keep the add-ons coming.

Cons

I am not finding much to complain about yet. It is working very well for our organization.

James from Apostolic Lutheran Church

Well Suited for Smaller Churches

The support provided us was exceptional from well-trained staff. Satisfied customers are an obvious objective of this company at every level.

Pros

The software's features and format, and setup flexibility, were almost ideal for our needs and preferences.

Debra from Jesus Project Ministries

CFO of Nonprofit for decades.

I love the ability to due true fund balance accounting. For years I used Peachtree with job costs and spreadsheets to accomplish. This is a huge upgrade. I think the work around in the deposits is worth it for the fund balances.

Pros

It is easy to use "out of the box." If you been working with Quickbooks or Quicken this will be an easy transition. Also, you can add multiple tags to a single transaction, and then you can sort on these different tags. This provides and amazing matrix of data.

Cons

I big big draw back for me is the inability to batch deposits. It makes it more difficult to do reconciliations. They do this because the want you to use their CRM component. Of course there is a work around, but I would rather not "work around" such a critical area.

Steve from Christian Life International Church

Aplos Software Is The Perfect Solution For Our Church

Pros

Aplos overcomes a huge barrier for some by making a complex process simple and easy to understand. The product provides ease of use while delivering professional results. The quality of the product is second only to the quality of the service. The team at Aplos exceeds expectations and delivers an exceptional product.

Cons

The only feature I need that is not present is currency conversion.

September 2016

Lisa from Teamwork Ministries

September 2016

Great decision to change to Aplos Fund Accounting

Pros

This product took several things that we were doing separately and put them all together in one place. Accounting, credit card processing, year-end tax statements, donor communication, fund management. I have only been using the software about 6 months and they have already changed or updated several functions so I know they are constantly listening to users and making changes and improvements.

Cons

There is no function to create a deposit slip for the bank. I'm told they are working on it. Sometimes the navigation between functions is a little inconvenient. We had used quickbooks for many years and I like this product so much better for fund accounting.

Richard from First United Methodist Church

Pricey Product with Shallow Slate of Features

I hoped this would be a good solution for our needs, but it is a very expensive non-solution to even basic church management and accounting needs.

Pros

It is online, and mostly attractively put together. The support is integrated into the interface. It is available through most any computer with a web browser.

Cons

It is not a robust accounting system. For example, there is no way to track a group of Memorial Funds within one overall Memorial Fund. They offered suggestions for work arounds to this, but the general response for this and most other questions I had was, "Unfortunately, we don't do that." They claimed on their marketing materials that you could track attendance at various worship services, but you manifestly cannot do that. The response when I called to find out how was some complicated group setup with needing every person to join the group through a conformation email (even though about half my church doesn't have or actively use email). Eventually the support person admitted that while their marketing did seem to indicate you could track attendance easily that, "Unfortunately we don't do that." There is some possible checkin system being developed, but that still would leave basic church membership functions non-existent. They are more expensive than other systems available that actually do these functions.

Steve from Fire of God

Easy and very effective

Pros

We as a church have been opened since 2012. Aplos was the first nonprofit software accounting system we started using. I needed a simple but effective tracking system which I could track my member's contribution. At the year end, I am able to generate a report for all my members regarding their contribution to their taxes. It is simple and effective.

Stephanie from Pawsitive Partnerships, Inc.

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

After exploring a number of options, I chose Aplos.

I looked at a number of options for our accounting needs and felt that Aplos was the best option. I still believe that.

Pros

So far, so good. I am still getting my feed wet, but the functionality is good. We were able to integrate the donation form into our website and all seems to be working well. Customer service has been quick to follow up when I've had questions.

Cons

I wish there were more free-form options as they are some limitations with the donation form. They are not huge, but I hope to see more flexibility down the road. Also, the color options for the donation form are a bit limited with some odd color combinations (e.g., red with lavender). Thus far, the cons are minor overall.

Tyler from The Table Church

They just keep getting better.

I have been with Aplos for probably over 4 years. While with every update there is a small learning curve, it is worth it. They continually add new features. The features are never just for the sake of it. Instead they are very useful. I am no accountant for sure, but I can navigate the software very easily and keep our budget working for us. Excellent customer service!

Pros

Logical Navigation

Cons

I have seen the cost rise as new features are launched.

Stephanie from The HelpMe Foundation

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Aplos is a user friendly software

Overall great software for new organizations very user friendly and they offer free web tools to assist with obtain8ng funding and other helpful tools

Pros

I enjoyed the fact that it was user friendly . I enjoyed the affordable monthly fees based of organization size. I also enjoyed the chat availability

Cons

What I liked least was when they changed the bank integration portion it wasn’t as user friendly . I also didn’t like the fees that changed with the new donor management portion it was almost equivalent to the monthly fee

Mike from Antioch Community Church

Alpos Makes Fund Accounting Easy and Hassle Free

We switched to Aplos in February, the support as we transitioned was amazing.

Pros

Web based, true fund accounting, great customer service, the reports are easy to read and understand, everything is real time.

Cons

The only con I can think of is the reconciliation screen is not as customizable as I would have liked.

Yoojin from Holy Fire Ministry

Keeping up with the books of our contributors and expenses

Pros

I am the Treasurer for our non profit church. We are able to easily keep records for our contributors, expenses, and income. The software is simple but effective.

Cons

I have yet to try the bank reconcilation and payroll but I am sure it will integrate nicely once I spend the time to get to know more of the product.

Michele from Off The Front

Very User Friendly!

Our non-profit began using Aplos from the beginning! We have appreciated the consistent customer support and openness to customer feedback. I love Aplos because it offers our non-profit a high-functioning, easy to use platform for someone life myself who does not have an accounting degree.

Pros

Easy to use and very intuitive.