• Pros

• "I love the reporting capabilities, and also all the additional modules you can use to get a 360° view of your donors. I also love the plug-ins that help you integrate RE with other systems."

• "Ease of pulling specific data out of the database."

• "The updates make it more useful to more of our staff, especially when on the road. Being able to access more and do more from webview is definitely handy. "

• Cons

• "This product doesn't function at the same high level as the database version, but it certainly doesn't stop it from coming in handy to those who don't often use RE in our organization."

• "I can't tell the difference from duplicate alumni by their class year when searched. There is no other point to mention at this time as I have not used it on a constant basis yet."

• "It can be too big for some organizations. If you are very small, it can be too expensive to jump in to right off the bat. But also worth it down the line if you have the money to invest."

Browse The Raiser's Edge Reviews

Tracey from New Hampton School

A Game Changer for Prospect Managers

I think the RE NXT interface is incredibly intuitive. It helps new team members get on the ground faster with learning how to search records and find the information that they need. That said, a strong background in the database view is helpful to any member of your team, whether they are on the road or not. I would strongly suggest having teams trained formally on both systems.

Pros

What I love about RE NXT is that it helps to visualize graphs, such as donor patterns and key financial data, automatically. You no longer have to have endless queries and exports and dashboards to access the data you want the most. This helps facilitate staff meeting discussions, and also keeps all team members informed on the fly. Secondly, the prospect profiles for managers. Gone are the days of exporting travel profiles in plain text. Now a PM can login from the road to see all the details they need in a useful manner -- and what's even better? They can change how the data is displayed so that it is personalized to them. It is clean, well constructed, and yet also flexible enough to be able to dig deeper with a couple of clicks. And if they need to find a new person to visit in their area, the map tools are perfect. Highly recommended for offices with lots of traveling teammates.

Cons

As with both versions of RE, you only get out what you put into it. You need to make sure you have the right policies and procedures in place, for example, to make sure that certain fields in actions are required. You'll also need to work with your team to make sure they understand the updated language from the database view to the NXT view. For example, proposals and opportunities are the same thing. This is a bit of a challenge in offices where the NXT vs. database team may not interact that much and will be speaking slightly different languages about this software. It is not a deal-breaker, just a trainable moment.

Alex from Save the Manatee Club

Industry: Environmental Services

Becoming a benefit to our organization

While we have had some hiccups converting our staff over, I think the product itself is wonderful and introduces features that we've wanted in the main database since we converted to Blackbaud products. For most, the features that it currently offers will suffice, and if they don't many of the missing features can be found in the main system. The development of new features has been going surprisingly quickly, and we expect that most of the problems we have had so far will go away as the product is updated.

Pros

The interface is a lot friendlier to the average user than the database view, making it easier to use for our employees that don't like working in databases as much. It also introduced certain features that were missing from the main database, which added some new tools to manage data and keep our information clean. The analytics is my favorite addition; while some dashboard tools exist in Raiser's Edge, in NXT they are fully thought out and allow for excellent reporting and visual depictions of our progress.

Cons

It's still an in-development product, so while this could be great for some organizations it's not at the point where it's great for all organizations. Despite the fact that it's user-friendly and many of our staff members prefer to use it, the lack of certain features from the main database make it hard for them to convert completely, and they feel that switching between the two views of the same system is a hassle. While it's understandable that the extra add-ons would take a back seat to the development of the main features, with our membership module missing it does make it hard for our organization to shift most of our staff over to it from the main database view. There are also some things that don't synchronize properly between the two systems yet, which sometimes makes database maintenance feel like we're checking in two different databases for information.

Jennifer from UNC Wilmington

It Keeps Getting Better

Pros

We are a higher ed institution and we have moved from Banner to Raiser's Edge to NXT. What we saw right away was that NXT is very intuitive and easy to use. Our frontline gift officers love that they can use it on their phones, computers, tablets, and laptops, and that it's just a website away. Pulling lists is a lot easier and more accessible than the database query and the built-in mapping feature is widely used. It is a very clean and easy interface, which has made it a clear winner with our frontline staff.

Cons

Some very basic components are missing, which can be very frustrating. For instance, you can view an list of your Opportunities (Proposals) and a list of your Portfolio assignments, but not a list of them together. You also can't filter lists by looking for missing values (e.g., Prospect Status is blank), which creates some headaches. You very much have to adapt your processes to the database, rather than adapting the database to your processes. That can create some serious headaches during conversion, but overall it will save time.

Gina from Pediatric Therapy Network

Great online database

Pros

NXT is user-friendly and easy to use the basic features

Cons

Not everything is available yet, but they are always rolling out new features

May 2016

Cheena from International Tennis Hall of Fame

Industry: Fine Art

May 2016

Raiser's Edge Lifer Rant

Pros

My biggest likes for the Raiser's Edge are the various modules: Events, Membership and Online Express. I can organize the information and pull it back out in queries so easily. The canned reporting is not bad either. They pretty much have every kind of basic report you could need. You can pull some pretty decent reports that track actions, solicitors, giving and profiles. The key is making sure your data is clean and organized. Speaking of which, Raiser's Edge has done a great job of improving it's data clean up functions. They have improved duplicate removals. They have added e-mail and phone clean ups. And they are always on top of making sure their clients are heard (even if it takes them a little while to deliver).

Cons

The reports have aged out at this point in the desktop version (non-cloud). Development departments are looking for different ways to report their money and we are now depending on Crystal Reports to constantly fill that void. I wished the reports were more malleable and you could really build out the layouts to accommodate what staff wants to see. The biggest thing I hear in terms of complaints from my staff are the number of clicks to get a process done, whether entering an event on a record to recording a membership. Sure we can set up default settings for many of the procedures, but there is still that need sometimes to have to go through and enter manually.

Jaimie from Kentucky Wesleyan College

Very user friendly

Having NXT is invaluable to having donor information at our fingertips, and for having an efficient process for recording contact and actions with donors for historical purposes.

Pros

I work a lot on the database side of Raiser's Edge, but NXT is super user friendly for those on your team that need information at their finger tips but aren't "database administrators".

Cons

There are a few functionalities that cannot be done in NXT and must be done in the database, and a few that do not report clearly (i.e. soft credits).

Waileia from Punahou School

Great for Front Line Fundraisers

We have excelled using RE NXT. Our previous systems crippled our users, creativity, effectiveness, etc....RE NXT Has allowed us to create programs for our donors that we were unable to do previously.

Pros

Ease of use, layout, look...Blackbaud did a great job thinking of the front line fundraisers' busy schedule. It is great to use on the go or in the office.

Cons

Not all functionality in the database view hasn't been implemented yet it in the webview. For my position, the webview isn't quite ready. However, due to the limitations, pulling certain lists and other functionalities within actions - it can be hard to train users (you think the functionality is there, but it hasn't been implemented yet).

Lauri from Pacific Northwest University Of Health Sciences

Excellent Donor Management for Front Line Fundraisers

Overall we are very happy with Raiser's Edge NXT and plan to continue using this product into the future.

Pros

Easy to use from the start. Works well on mobile devices. Allow fundraisers to use a talk-to-text app to input contact reports for meetings. Blackbaud keeps increasing the functionality and roll out new features. All of our gift officers are happy with this product and use it daily to manage portfolios.

Cons

This is not a heavy work system for database managers. Still no events management in this version. Attachments added to records in NXT cannot be seen in database view.

Michael from Crossroads International

Potentially a large step up from RE7

Pros

The ease of use for those not accustomed to the traditional Raiser's Edge database, this allows other teams to use it when before they would not have. Ability to access records from anywhere. Reporting is great to easily identify metrics for our organization.

Cons

A large number of features that we are very excited for are not yet fully active resulting in us using both NXT and RE OLX. In particular we are waiting for the ability to create donation forms, as well more functionality in the email platform to allow us to add the responses to the records.

Simone from Red Cloud Indian School

Industry: Fund-Raising

I love NXT

I love NXT for our fundraisers - easy to train, and see progress

Pros

So easy to teach on the road fundraisers to enter actions and notes. I love the mile radius search!

Cons

Needs more query, export options -- but new things are being added every day

Mary from Boston Youth Symphony Orchestras

Industry: Fine Art

Powerful Database

My recommendation is to get formal training if you are going to use the database and give each new staff member the opportunity to be trained by a Raiser's Edge specialist. The database is absolutely worth the time and money if you also invest in your staff's knowledge of it. If two people are doing the same task in even a slightly different way, you can end up with holes in your data. However, if you do get good training, you'll find this database to be well worth it and will assist your fundraising strategies quite well.

Pros

The Raiser's Edge is a very powerful database that can provide great insight into your organization's fundraising. It has the capability to track and report on anything you would ever need to look at for fundraising. The template reports are customizable, which is very helpful. My favorite feature is the query and export combo - I can pull out any piece of information I need to analyze and Raiser's Edge does a good job of getting rid of duplicate information for me. The dashboard feature is also good - you can create multiple dashboards to compare fiscal years, appeals, funds, recent gifts list, summaries, etc. You can also share your dashboard with other users so that everyone can be looking at the same thing.

Cons

Building custom reports from scratch (not using a template) can be challenging to create through Crystal Reports. However, you can usually find a template that you can customize to create a similar report, if not the exact report you want to write. Duplicate records can also be challenging in Raiser's Edge. When Constituents are uploaded to the database from a list or entered manually, Raiser's Edge will not identify duplicates if the name or address is not an exact match. This can be frustrating - for example, it won't recognize a duplicate address if the only difference is between "Street" and "St." in the database. Cleaning up the duplicates is even more challenging. I have needed to export lists of constituents, identify duplicates in Excel, and then go back into Raiser's Edge to merge and delete the duplicate constituent records.

Stephanie from The Catholic Foundation of Central Florida, Inc.

Satisfied Raiser's Edge 7 user Ready to Make the Jump to RE NXT

I previously worked with many other database interface software in the for-profit world, where I worked for the first 15+ years of my career. So when I started using Raiser's Edge, it came relatively easily to me as it reminded me of other previously used interfaces. We have a large database of over 350K donors, and Raiser's Edge has no problem handling our volume. The Raiser's Edge 7 is now showing some age in how it's structured and functions, but mostly in look and feel. We have been using Raiser's Edge with our database on premise. With the seismic shift into cloud computing, we are planning to move to a Blackbaud hosted environment, which will, in and of itself, bring us closer to feeling like it's not the 90's anymore. But the good news is that Blackbaud knows that the look and feel, usability, functionality and ability to play well with others need to catch up with the rest of technology, and so they introduced Raiser's Edge NXT a couple of years ago. RE NXT looks modern and fills many checkboxes of what fundraisers need to do their jobs in today's environment. (See Pros to find out more of what I like about RE NXT.)

Pros

Raiser's Edge 7 gives you the tools (and/or gives you optional add-on tools) to manage your donor relationships and data in just about any way you can think of. It's a great all-purpose fundraising tool for non-profit organizations. Raiser's Edge NXT (RE NXT) is the next generation, and we are most likely moving to that within the next year. The awesome things about RE NXT are 1. User access to your donor data from anywhere on any device, 2. Unintimidating ease of use for non-techie and techie alike, 3. Open API which means lots of more fantastic compatible tools are being built by Blackbaud partners, 4. Unlimited users - which means now our Board members and many other stakeholders will be able to login and get their reports on the dashboard instead of waiting for emailed or, even worse, hard-copy reports to be run and delivered to them by our staff.

Cons

My experience with the Customer Support has been less than stellar. Sometimes it seems like the Customer Support's go-to answer is, "No" or "No, you can't do that." Unless the answer is, "Well, if you buy this other tool we have, then you can do that." But since we have no plans to move off of Blackbaud products, thank heavens they have an amazing Blackbaud Community network where you can ask any question and get tons of advice from folks just like you working in this software daily. Blackbaud Community is now the first place I go when I need support. Many times the question I have has already been asked and answered in the past, and so just searching through the discussions will get me my answer or point me in the right direction, instead of wasting time trying to re-invent the wheel. My fairly high rating in this review on Customer Support is mostly because of Blackbaud Community and our fairly newly assigned account manager.

Lindsay from Marin Community Clinics

Raisers Edge - IF you are good to it, it will give you GOLD

Raiser's Edge is great for development departments of medium to large nonprofits, schools, etc, especially those with sophisticated fundraising programs. It may not be the best fit for small nonprofits with limited resources in the budget. The Raiser's Edge is an excellent software for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship and allows for easy tracking of each constituent's relationship with your organization. Raisers Edge is being used by the development department to track donations and our constituents relationship to us as an organization. Our database is not large but the relationships are long and often complicated. A database like this allows us to see the constituent and all of the interactions we have had with them over the years. The Raisers Edge in combination with some of the add on's like online express have been helpful for seamless tracking of newsletter readership and conversions from our website and online publications.

Pros

Queries are what we use to create lists of constituents with particular behaviors or similarities that we can use for creating mailings, invitations or actions. An amazing tool with endless possibilities. Raisers Edge is a beast of a program. It can do just about anything you could want for a donor database and Blackbaud offers several supplemental solutions that seamlessly integrate. Donor stewardship, from first contact, to donation, to acknowledgement letter, is a process that is handled particularly well with Raisers Edge

Cons

The program is quite complicated and if data is not entered correctly than the program just won't work well. "bad in, bad out'. But that is not unique to this program. That some of the features that I like to use like global changes for adding appeals is pretty buried and the way of finding it convoluted. Attributes could be more flexible: like I would prefer to have all events under one table (which it can do now) but then there is no step further where I can then say whether they RSVP and then also whether they attended and their name for easy export for nametags.

Michelle from Healthy Smiles, Healthy Children

Raiser's Finally Got an Update

I use Raiser's Edge as our donor database and the data entry, reporting features are really updated. However, when they came out with NXT, it was a game changer. NXT is amazing! It has a very attractive interface and super user friendly. As soon as you search for a record, consecutive years and all information on the donor is clear to see and it lets you know which donors you should be reaching out to. You could assign donors to others to initiate contact. You could easily access information on your mobile device. It takes the Raiser's Edge data entry interface and completely gives it a makeover. You are easily able to review giving history and all donor information on one page and very clearly. The only thing I don't like about NXT is that the consecutive years aren't always the same as in the donor records in the database version.

Dana from St. Anthony Foundation

Valuable and versatile database

I'm speaking to RE7, i.e. the database view specifically, which many nonprofits use exclusively but those who purchase the NXT bundle also have access to the full database view as well. I've been using RE7 for 12 years and overall I love it, especially in combination with the NXT web view.

Pros

There is so much you can do with Raiser's Edge, it's a robust and powerful tool. It works "out of the box" without need for programming or customization per se (other than settings and configuration etc.) so you don't need to be a coder to set up and use. I particularly love queries to pull together lists of donors who meet certain criteria, which can then be used for mailing lists, reports, exports, etc. The acknowledgement letters are incredibly valuable, allowing variable data and personalized language, e.g. when a gift is designated to a particular program we pull in a paragraph about that program without our gift entry staff having to do any manual or extra work.

Cons

Can be a bit clunky, and not always intuitive (NXT web view is a huge improvement in those areas). The reports aren't pretty (again NXT is astronomically better there) and sometimes there isn't a report that will work for our needs so I have to set up with queries and exports. There is almost always a way to do what I need to do, but I sometimes have to go through some complicated digital acrobatics to get there.

Cain from Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation

Great Product, but Could be Overkill for Most Nonprofits

It's doubtful to me, especially after having worked with a few smaller nonprofits which have used Raisers Edge, that even the heaviest users in this arena are using even 50% of the product's out of the box functionality. So while I love the product, and especially love it because it integrates seamlessly with Financial Edge for the accounting reporting, smaller nonprofits are probably better served with something just as user-friendly but much cheaper for donations/events/membership management, like Avectra's Net Forum.

Pros

Blackbaud's Raisers Edge is great software for donations management, including special events and memberships. It's very easy to use, and very easy to get information from, whether through any of the many canned reports, or through queries and exports. Support is extra, but well worth the cost, at least in the initial years after set-up.

Cons

The cost - upwards for just the donations management - is considerable. And things like the Special Events module and Membership and Tributes and Memorials modules are not included in the base package. Like most other software, a lot of thought needs to happen when setting Raisers Edge up. But seriously for every con that I could list, the customer support that comes extra with the annual maintenance, if purchases, offsets the con with quick answers and fixes, so that even the most complicated thing in RE is easily addressed with a quick phone call to support.

Allison from Brown University

The Raiser's Edge is an industry standard for a reason. It's robust but doesn't play well with non-Blackbaud software.

If you're a small-to-medium shop looking to invest in a CRM, The Raiser's Edge will work well for you. If you need easy integration with other software solutions (email marketing, event marketing, etc.) you may want to look elsewhere, but if your main need is a robust CRM, then The Raiser's Edge a good way to go.

Pros

The Raiser's Edge is consistent and reliable as a CRM. Because it is so widely used, there are tons of good resources online if you have any questions, and you are likely to be able to easily hire staff who have experience with it. You are able to set up your data structure with a good amount of customization. The the query tool is easy to use as long as you understand how you've set up your fields. You don't need to be able to code to administer the database, which I appreciated. Permissions are fairly straightforward.

Cons

As part of the Blackbaud suite of products, The Raiser's Edge is not easy to integrate with other products. If you need easy integration with other software solutions, you'll either have to buy other Blackbaud products, which are expensive and sometimes not the best in their class, or do a lot of data transfers between the systems. For example, when I was administering a Raiser's Edge database, I had to regularly export lists for use with Constant Contact, and import transactions for our online giving page, because we didn't use Blackbaud solutions for email marketing or online giving. It wasn't very difficult to do, but it did slow us down with tasks that should be automated.

Jeff from Tennyson Center for Children

The best donor database

If you decide on Raiser's Edge, try to combine it with Financial Edge. Very similar software, integration, and user knowledge overlap. Just be prepared to pay.

Pros

Raiser's Edge is the best donor database I've seen. It has comprehensive fields and capability to track projects, funds, and appeals. When we used RE, we had about 250 different appeals categorized and about 50 different funds. When running reports or queries, you could slice and dice the data pretty much any way you wanted. Query functions were huge for me. You can dig down into anything you want - all donations by xyz appeal during 10-11 timeframe and paid by check at a certain event? That's an option, for example, with the click and choose query. Huge added bonus if you use RE in conjunction with Financial Edge, Blackbaud's accounting system, as the two systems actually integrate (not export and import but a true integration).

Cons

The biggest obstacle we faced with RE was the pricing. Blackbaud prices you into tiers based on number of constituents, so if you keep old donor records "just in case", you end up accumulating all these records and data that you are paying for annually. If you can afford it, it's great. They are definitely shooting for the quality model not the low-cost model.

Kayla from Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation

Great Product with Room for Improvement

Pros

This is such a great tool to keep track of your constituents. Everything is organized, making it easy to find the information you need with little hassle. It was also relatively to learn how to use it. I had never heard of Raiser's Edge before beginning an internship during college, and without any experience outside of that using it, I was able to find a job where I spend all day using Raiser's Edge. Not being particularly computer-savy, it's almost unbelieveable to me how comfortable I feel using this product.

Cons

There always seems to be little kinks and bugs that make little to no sense, and many times even those at Blackbaud don't seem to know why. For example, I work a lot with tributes. Recently I discovered that when you are entering a gift and you have a tribute open, if you go into one of the tribute acknowledgee's records and then back out, RE will check off all of the acknowledgees to acknowledge even if you previously did not have them all checked off. My manager asked why this was happening and how we can fix it, and the short-term suggestion we got was to exit out of the acknowledgee record instead of saving and closing. Frankly, that's a horrible suggestion. Obviously there are going to be times when we need to save and close. I understand you may not have an immediate answer, but I'd rather you not be able to give me a suggestion than to give me a bad one. In short, I think there are many kinks to be worked out and customer service can be improved.

January 2016

Joan from Diocese of Camden

January 2016

Helpful fundraising software

Pros

The software allows you to keep more than just address and gift data for your constituents. You can customize parts of the software to meet your organization's specific needs. Additional modules can be added as your organization needs grow and budgets allow. Customer support is available through many channels and the company works to help users interact with each other, which can be very beneficial. They offer a variety of training options that are also beneficial and I would argue essential.

Cons

Their growth and expansion of products seems to be outpacing the ability in all areas to support it all. On a few occasions I have found promises made by sales staff to be unmet by the software...though it appears to be more of a lack of true understanding of my questions/needs on the part of specific people sales staff. When I ask support staff about it later, they are much clearer on what the software can & can't do.

Michelle from American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry

Raiser's Edge NXT is a big improvement!

Raiser's Edge NXT has notified us when prospect donor pledges are ending and recommendations for cultivation which has increased our major giving donors.

Pros

The Raiser's Edge database was very outdated however with the addition of NXT it's now very visually appealing and user-friendly. They took the old database look and revamped it to include charts, recommendations for donor cultivation and alerts daily referencing which donors to reach out to. It's very mobile friendly and great for major giving officers so they could make notes and assign tasks to their team while on the road. You could easily look up donor records and it's all accessible from Blackbaud.com so you don't need to download an app. It's good to have when on meetings and if you have to be an exhibitor for your Foundation and quickly look up donor records.

Cons

NXT shows consecutive donor years at the top of each profile however the years are not always accurate with the years in Raiser's database. Sometimes the years are way off. Also, they should make it easier to view outstanding pledges in NXT. NXT is a bit pricey however worth the cost and your return on investment is improved as it notifies you when you have major giving prospects to reach out to.

April 2016

Jennifer from Beech Acres Parenting Center

April 2016

The Raiser's Edge NXT: Moving Fundraising Forward

Pros

I love that the fundraisers I work with are more comfortable with the NXT interface, yet I still have access to RE:7 to do the heavy-lifting. And I love that Blackbaud actively solicits feedback and input from customers/users to drive development of the product. This gives us the chance to get a product that is more tailored to what we need and want.

Cons

Much too early for anything to mention here. Because it's cloud-based, NXT can get upgrades and new features rolled out regularly, with no action needed on the user's part...I do wish there was an update product development map that showed what is coming when, even if the timing is constantly in-flux.

March 2016

Connie from CSC

March 2016

Overall very pleased

Pros

The data is well organized, easy to pull, and easy to export. Although this is the only major database software I have used personally, I have heard multiple comments from others that Raiser's Edge is so much easier and more efficient than other software types on the market. Our organization has been using Raiser's Edge for over 15 years, and we are well pleased with its capabilities and performance. This software manages everything fundraising related - donor profiles, biological data, giving history, mailing histories, event attendance and seating, EFT and automated credit card transactions, memberships, to-do tasks, alumni information, online giving forms and email blasts (with the optional Online Express module), etc. BlackBaud has an easy-to-access support system if you need help, as well as training, blogs, free webinars and videos so that beginners can easily learn the system.

Cons

BlackBaud is a little over-priced on some of its data cleansing services, like EmailFinder and Deceased People Finder. We often get the same service for much cheaper through our mailing house vendors.

Chelsea from The Mariners' Museum and Park

Industry: Museums and Institutions

Blackbaud is great for non-profits!

Blackbaud has allowed our team to increase relationship with our patrons through the careful documentation of every interaction and helpful information regarding the constituent- including sales orders, event registrations, donations, prospect management, memberships, contact information, household/organization relationships, marketing communications, etc. We also utilize the training and support available through Blackbaud to ensure we are using their tools to their full potential.

Pros

I love that Blackbaud has many different software options. The non-profit I work for used Blackbaud's Raisers Edge software for many years and switched to Altru in 2012 as our CRM needs had increased/developed as our organization grew. I also am appreciative of the time and attention that Blackbaud employees provide when support or training is needed.

Cons

Blackbaud's client base is largely owned by non-profit organizations. Non-profits aren't typically the kind that can spend thousands of dollars on software every month. However, Blackbaud's products are very costly. I would say they are worth the money, if it's affordable. But I do question their motives when it comes to cost, as they seem very high for who the products are for.

Meghan from Children's Home + Aid

A huge step forward from RE7

Pros

RENXT is a wonderful leap forward for those that are currently using RE7. First off, it is online, so you can login anywhere and on any device, which for me makes it far more useful to fundraisers. Ultimately, I am a big fan and I think it makes your fundraisers spend more time reaching out to key donors, rather than working on back end tracking and database work. Also, what I appreciate the most is that I do not have to hire people who have RE experience anymore, because it is so easy for them to immediately start working out of NXT. It opens up the candidate pool!

Cons

This is a general blackbaud critique, but their customer service is not always the best. They can be difficult to get in touch with and you sometimes have to wait for a while to get a question answered or problem fixed. I will say, we have not had any issues with NXT in particular, where we needed to call them though.

August 2016

Kristen from Children First, Inc.

2.5

August 2016

Donor data taken to the next level

Pros

Raiser's Edge is a powerhouse for the management of donor data. It is easy to track a donor's contributions and see their giving history at a glance. I especially like the ability to identify each donor with a constituent code, which makes it very convenient to pull reports on specific groups of people who donate (like volunteers, board members, or staff). With the ability to see giving trends in multiple ways, data analysis is much more comprehensive and quicker to review than with other similar software types I have used.

Cons

Certain custom reports or queries can be difficult to design for the desired output, requiring help from Customer Service. Unfortunately, the wait time to speak with a live customer service representative is always VERY long. The online chat option can work in some instances, but not always. It would be nice if there were more representatives available to help via phone. The product is also very expensive and there are additional costs to add new components, even modifications like changes to the online interface. Every new development for the product comes with a high price.

Mary Jo from Immaculata High School

Raiser's Edge 7.94

Overall, Raiser's Edge is a great product with a lot of functionality. It can be pricey, but my research shows me that for many major fundraising organizations, they all use it. Raiser's Edge is the industry standard. If your organization uses it, I would not migrate away from it. If your organization is not using, it might be a worthwhile investment for the functionality it provides.

Pros

Relatively easy to use. Great functionality as a constituent database and donor giving software. Definitely top of the line.

Cons

Multiple modules needed for credit card processing, events, education/alumni. Each module is additional cost. Conversioncost could be high if converting away from Raiser's Edge due to its complexity compared to other providers. Customer support can take a long time to get through via phone. Sales really pushes to move you RE-NXT, which is cloud-based and costs several thousand more than server-based RE.

Gwen from The University of Texas at Tyler

Easy to use product...even for non-technical people

I'd like to see search and list options included for Fund records, Events, and memberships. Adding this functionality would make it a more complete product for our development staff to use and be able to easily view information that is tracked in each of these key areas like lists of endowments, attendees of specific events, etc.

Pros

The data is in an easy to use format, especially for non-technical people. In addition, the list and analyze features provide an easy way to view specific information easily. Our staff really likes the ability to move tiles around, the mapping feature, and integration with outlook.

Cons

The integration with Outlook doesn't allow the ability to change a completed date and add the name of a solicitor when creating an action. It does not allow searching or lists for fund, campaign, membership, or event records.

Kelly from Westfield State University

Great product for our fundraising team!

This is a great product for those who have teams where technology may not be a strong suit or entering into the full RE database is challenging. Our team is on the road often and they are able to quickly add contact reports and get simple constituent profiles on the go. As a database manager, NXT is not sophisticated enough for me to use solely, but I do utilize it occasionally so I am up to speed on the functionality.

Pros

Ease of use, integration with The Raiser's Edge database, easy to access via mobile devices, has a pleasant look and feel to the application. Overall, an excellent product!

Cons

Attachments do not integrate with RE when loaded through NXT, and there is no way to pull a report or query of attachments made in NXT. A little more integration development so the two systems can talk to one another is probably needed.

Very Robust CRM

One thing that stood out is that the UI is near intuitive, nice to look at and the data is well supported by a dedicated team at Blackbaud. I was able to pull reports on data quickly and easily for other users. Training is pretty seamless as far as getting users acclimated into the system. Though we didn't like the out-of-the-box functionalities, we understood that we wanted some customization, which was a bit pricey for our company. Once when we did get the essential functionalities edited, we were quite happy with the results. Customer support is great at quickly responding in helping us with issues.

Pros

Easy flow in adding donors, easy flow in taking donations, pretty UI, intuitive use and workflow. Reporting functions are easy to edit and create.

Cons

Licensing and customization can be pricey. If you have your own developer to improve functionality, you may not get access to test environments or else you're paying for their developer for customizations.

Cain from Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation

WITH RE-NXT, BLACKBAUD MAY HAVE GOTTEN ON THE CLOUD TOO FAST

With the NXT version of its products, along with Blackbaud pretty much forcing its customers onto the cloud, Blackbaud is making some big mistakes. They haven't thought the web products out too much before pushing them out, for one (lots of functionality that previously existed doesn't exist now, although promised), and their customer service is no longer something to rave about. Anyone interested in RE-NXT but who hasn't used the older version of the product at all is going to be more impressed by (for example) Avectra's NetForum, which is cheaper and isn't waiting for significant functionality to be rolled out.

Pros

It's good Blackbaud realized that it needed to build in the classic version ("database view") of the old Raisers Edge into its NXT cloud version of the product. The old RE remains one of the best donor-, events-, membership-management software packages around. I've been using since 1997, and Raisers Edge integrates perfectly with Financial Edge.

Cons

As I mentioned, the cloud version of the software ("web view," or what you land on as soon as you click into Blackbaud.com and sign on) is weak. Adding to the frustration is that it looks completely different from the old version of the software. The worst thing about the cloud version is that a lot of the functionality in the old version has yet to show up in the web version, although Blackbaud keeps promising that future updates will contain familiar functions. In the middle of all this frustration is that Blackbaud's customer service, once the gold standard for what any customer service should be when paying this much for a product, has changed dramatically to customer service sometimes helping directly as they always did in the past, to customer service sending you Knowledgebase links for you, the customer, to figure out things yourself.

Tamera from Damien Center

Raisers Edge is Dysfunctional

Either have SalesForce build software for you - disadvantage being that no one will be on exactly the same software so if you need changes or upgrades, you will need to pay for the programming. Advantage is that you have control over the product, and most of the expense is up front. Or go with Donor Perfect, which is truly relational, far less expensive, highly configurable, and has the best mobile ap around. And I am NOT paid by DP to say that, nor did I ever work for Blackbaud or RE.

Pros

Batch entry. That's it. If ALL you do are massive fundraisers where you bring in a thousand donations of 10 bucks apiece in one day, then RE has the batch entry system for you.

Cons

Blackbaud's contracts all have clauses that prevent users from making derogatory statements or posting negative reviews. The contract allows them to lock you out, kick you off, charge for the remainder of the contract, blah blah blah. And they enforce it. Ask yourself why a decent software would need something like that? This is NOT a relational database, and if you understand anything about software file structure, then that explains why RE is so flawed: If someone hits all of those categories, they will appear three times. Ask for their phone or email and they are now listed six times. Process to get rid of dupe listings of the same name loses all of the field access with the exception of addresses - because it's not relational that's the only way they can do it. Raisers Edge NXT has been designed to hide the 'background' so you have less access to work-arounds, but in order to do that they have had to 'assume' what fields are really important to us to be able to export from a specific query. RE is designed to archive a ton of information, it is simply not designed to use it or get it out. Support is dismal, and most support staff have never been users; not customizable; clunky, slow; embedded Word is out-of-date and difficult to update; proprietary e-mail communication tool extremely limited; nothing is intuitive; research analytics and events modules are extremely weak. A waste of money.

April from Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation

2.5

April 2015

The only game in town . . .

Pros

I believe Raiser's Edge allows you to track a lot of informaiton in its constituent-relationship database and I like that it has products which it speaks to easily, i.e. a financial product (Financial Edge) and an Internet option (NetCommunity.) I enjoy having the subscription that we have which allows us access to unlimited online and phone questions/issues and also unlimited online training. Very pricey, but worth it, because of the complexity of the system. Blackbaud makes a habit of buying out a lot of their competitors which makes them "the only game in town" in some aspects, but also allows them to take the best of their competitors products and incorporate them into Raiser's Edge, etc. I am most excited about their new product launching July 1, 2015 called RE NXT. This is a cloud based application which will be a great asset to any non-profit focused on major and principal gifts. The only caveat at this point is that non-profit has to have its RE environment hosted by Blackbaud in order to purchase this product.

Cons

The customer service leaves a lot to be desired. They often do not get back to us when we have issues with RE; they seem to focus most of their customer service toward "hosted" clients (and we are not hosted at the present time); we still have cases open with them and unresolved since November 2014 (and this is now April 2015); they do not exude the "customer is always right" attitude and they are a very expensive product. Also be careful with their pricing, different customers pay different costs for the same service/products. There also seems to be a lot of hidden costs when purchasing new products or modules from Blackbaud for the RE so make sure that you delve into that with your customer representative if you are looking to purchase anything from them.

Erin from Planned Parenthood of IN and KY

Excellent robust tool for fundraisers

Pros

The modern interface is intuitive, robust and incredibly mobile-responsive. The reporting options are great for CEOs, board members, and Development departments. The 360-degree view of each constituent is insightful and helpful. Love the ability to log in from anywhere with no additional downloads needed. Real-time constituent updates keep everyone in the loop. Blackbaud is continuing to develop and push out additional features that will make this more and more useful and relevant.

Cons

Honestly, for what I use it for, it's hard to find anything missing that Blackbaud isn't addressing and planning for future releases.

Cassandra from Childrens Hospital Pittsburgh Foundation

Cassandra's day in the life with Raiser's Edge

Pros

I love that Blackbaud is always offering different training options around their products. If there's an area of Raiser's Edge that you'd like to become more proficient at using, you can do so by signing up for a webinar. Once you learn the functionalities of Raiser's Edge and how to use them, any organization would benefit from using the software.

Cons

Although training is always available to learn more about the software, if you don;t take advantage of it, there are a lot of important and useful functions you won't know how to use. If your organization needs something by a certain deadline and you are not familiar with that aspect of Raiser's Edge, you might face the challenge of needing to know how to use something before you have time to schedule adequate training on it.

Allison from Boys & Girls Club

August 2016

Raiser's Edge has a lot to offer

Pros

I love how many capabilities that this database has to offer. There are so many ways to get to know your donors, track giving, and a variety of grouping/reporting tools. Everyone I have worked with at Blackbaud has been really friendly and willing to help. I have used Raiser's Edge at both a small organization as well as medium to large organization in terms of budgets and gifts coming in. I love using it and the fluidity of the tasks. At the small organization, we also utilized the membership module.

Cons

Raiser's Edge capabilities are overwhelming when you are learning and takes a long time to really understand even the basic capabilities. When working with Blackbaud you have several people connected to your account. For example, you have an Account Rep, a Target Analytics Rep, a Training Rep, ect. It can be confusing when it is time to renew your policy and you want to make changes.

Zack from Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary

Great Donor Management Enterprise Software for large/established non-profits

I would recommend this software to a large or established non-profit that either brings in a lot of money (over $500k per annum), or is hoping to take fundraising "to the next level." I have used Raiser's Edge with two different organizations

Pros

- So many features, reports, queries, and fields. - Highly customizable. - Basic functions are fairly intuitive and easy-to-use. - Scalable, with lots of optional add-on features.

Cons

- Complex. If you want to "go deep" with this software, be prepared to invest a lot of time into the process. - Very expensive, and pricing is not dependent upon things like constituent counts (like marketing automation software is doing).

Cindy from Sunshine House Inc

perspective on Raisers Edge

I would not recommend it for small organizations.

Pros

Raiser's Edge has wonderful reporting capabilities. It definitely personifies garbage in, garbage out though, so you want to be sure to set things up the correct way right from the beginning. Also if you want to be able to quantify your data you have to put in fields that you can do so - not something like notes.

Cons

It is not the easiest to learn and I don't feel like we ever used the full capability of the software. I wish there were more opportunities for general training's using it and learning how other companies are utilizing it.

Kendall from Global Down Syndrome Foundation

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Easy to use for everyone

Pros

RE NXT is very easy to navigate and colleagues who have little or no experience with the database view are able to find the information they need without a hassle. I like that NXT offers suggestions and specially prepared reports that provide useful information for reigniting lapsed donors and gauging capacity for future asks. I also love the visual analytics offered, as they help to segment and illustrate the entire scope of our constituent base rather than just looking at spreadsheets.

Cons

There are some limitations as to how much information can be added to lists in NXT, making it easier to generate more complex lists in the database view. I also think it would be beneficial to offer a complete guide of all of the training and webinars available as a benefit of NXT, as our team has not taken advantage of many useful resources because we have not been aware of them.

Daniel from Bennington College

A database for frontliners

Pros

For years our front line fundraisers were complaining about not having easy access to information on the road, but with NXT they are now able to login with their existing Google credentials and are off. As the database manager, there is no more looking up a prospect's address or phone number or resetting forgotten passwords. The work center also puts answers about a gift officer's portfolio right in front of them.

Cons

Not all of the information from classic RE has been transferred over to NXT yet and some of the cool features (time in stage, consecutive years given) are not exportable. Additionally, there is not the level of customization many organizations need to report on areas like giving.

Matthew from Lutheran Family Services Rocky Mountains

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

The best donor management software

Raiser's Edge is the premium donor management package. We've used a couple other solutions in the past, and they don't even come close to the power of RE. It's expensive - as most Blackbaud products are - but it's well worth it for us.

Pros

Highly customizable Powerful query and report builder Multiple modules including Events and Volunteer Management If you're hosted instead of on-prem, Online Express is a fantastic add-on for email blasts, form building, and event registration

Cons

Very expensive Proper setup requires a serious time commitment Some features are only available in the hosted environment

Deborah from Neighborhood House

As the development director of a small non-profit, we use this software to track our donor activity.

Pros

It provides a comprehensive, detailed account of all interactions, donations, and potential contacts among our donor base. Whenever I've had to call customer support, they have been incredibly knowledgeable and friendly, and typically have gotten to the bottom of whatever issue I'm having.

Cons

There are SO many functions and features that it is hard to utilize them successfully at any given time. Reports can be complicated to produce, and creating queries to generate the specific sets of donor groups you are looking for is difficult at best.

Jenna from International Relief Teams

The Raiser's Edge is the Heart of our Organization

It is pretty expensive, but if you know how to truly use it, it will enhance your fundraising program.

Pros

The Raiser's Edge has an incredible amount of features from extensive reporting to in-depth donor records. One specific fixture that my organization finds extremely useful is the ability to search for donors using any piece of information in their record.

Cons

The Raiser's Edge has a steep learning curve and requires quite a bit of training to fully grasp all of its features. Just a slight warning before venturing into this program, patience is required.

Melanie from Fundraising consultant

Industry: Fund-Raising

Still the most sophisticated fundraising software.

I've used Raisers Edge for years and it is still the industry standard for larger nonprofits that don't want to create their own software. The most important caveat is how much time a nonprofit spends on implementation.

Pros

It is built by fundraisers and they continue to improve it.

Cons

While it is excellent, if you put garbage data in or you don't take the time to implement correctly, it will not help you achieve your fundraising goals. It can be complicated and expensive.

July 2015

Ursula from The Bloomsburg University Foundation

July 2015

I'd marry RE if I could

Pros

For the most part, the product is very user friendly. We've hired several individuals with no database and/or RE experience and after a few basic training sessions they are able to pick up what they need to perform basic daily operations. I've used other products which require extensive training, which is fine, but can be time consuming especially when dealing with on-boarding a new hire. As for the vendor, cannot speak highly enough with the people I have interacted with. I always feel confident that my questions and issues will be addressed in a timely matter.

Cons

I do feel there are some definite things lacking in the export and report aspect of RE.

Veronica from UHS Foundation

Great Features

We are still fairly new to NXT. I am the database coordinator so a lot of the functions do not really pertain to me. I love the dashboard and I love the info you can pull up on a constituent. Very impressive. I would love a better tutorial or a class on everything it can offer. I do hope once we get a designated fundraiser that they will utilize NXT. It is a great tool for when you are out fundraising.

Pros

Ease of use - Once you start looking around there is a lot you can do and it is fairly easy to find the info you need. Great for Fundraisers on the go Lots of info Great Dashboard

Cons

Takes getting used to - especially if you are used to the database Lots of features - but we need a better way to learn all it can offer

Mark from Landmark Christian School

Almost There

Raiser's Edge NXT has a bright future, especially when combined with other Blackbaud (NXT or otherwise) products.

Pros

The navigation of the NXT products is easy to learn and intuitive. The format of constituent pages is clean, which is makes it very simple to get an overall picture of the donor. The built-in overview and reporting features are crisp and elegant. It is very simple to see how far a campaign has gone to completing its goal or useful information about specific appeals. RENXT does a fantastic job of showing trends over time.

Cons

The program houses huge amounts of information and the creation of reports hasn't been fully built out, yet. Even when that is completed, if you don't have time to spend in educating yourself on the features you'll be missing out or under-utilizing the program. At this stage in the program development you'll still be utilizing the database view quite a bit to make changes. That will require you to pick up knowledge on two similar, yet separate programs. This could be a problem if you've never used Raiser's Edge before.

Gwen from The University of Texas at Tyler

Great product that is easy to use

I think this is a great product and I can see it being a valued resource in any organization.

Pros

NXT is very easy to use and the tiles can be moved around to create a custom view. In addition, the mapping feature with lists makes it very easy to see who is in an area we are planning a visit for. Because it is so easy to use, it allows others to create their own lists easily.

Cons

There is not a more granular query tool incorporated yet or reporting so back office users can also take advantage of this view.

August 2015

JoAnn from YMCA of Rapid City

August 2015

RE - The good, the bad and the ugly?!

Pros

The software is generally user friendly and flexible. Offers more than most orgs can/will use for functionality. Provides what we need for accurate gift entry, recogniton, prospect data and reports. Forums and knowledgebase provide good support options.

Cons

The length of time it takes to make basis software programming fixes. Sometimes feel like company is too busy trying to be all things to all people (schools/museums/fundraising orgs/social services orgs/top of the heap for new technology/etc.) to get basic issues addressed by users fixed. And lack of testing prior to releasing new update. We still with prior versions until the bugs are worked through. Cost of modules/features can be prohibitive, especially for 'small' users.

Kelsi from Grace College

NXT Early Adopter

We have been extremely pleased with NXT from the onset, but are continually amazed by the updates rolled out regularly which make it an even more powerful tool!

Pros

The ease of use for users is huge! Our frontline Gift Officers love the functionality of NXT! Our team benefits from the dynamic way it presents the data which makes the data more useful and telling for decisions.

Cons

We would love to see it be an app, so it is even easier to access, but we love the product as it is and have no hesitation in recommending.