(5,986)

5,986

(3,175)

3,175

• Pros

• "Very easy to use and effective. Love the minimalist user interface. Does not suck up too much battery. "

• "Love using this tool at work! Very easy to use and communicate at work with coworkers without interrupting them too much!"

• "It's easy to use, and it never got me disconnected. A powerful and nice software. I recommend to anyone."

• Cons

• "The only disadvantage is that when there are connections with low bandwidth, the video freezes a lot, but the alternative of making only voice calls solves it."

• "Desktop plugin sometimes freezes but while it is running correctly it is great"

• "It is a very good application, but I notice that the quality of the video calls does not seem so good to me, currently there are services that offer HD quality."

Browse Google Meet Reviews

Pat from Maine Cottage Keepers

Video Conference from Gmail

I use a variety of collaboration tools, but my regular go-to tool is meet.google.com. Also, since Google upgraded Hangouts to add a phone number option, it's become a possible to use with everyone, regardless of someone's firewall settings.

Pros

Hangouts Meet is already available from within Gmail. It's simple to add to a meeting invitation from Gcal or to launch for impromptu meetings from the G-Suite launchpad.

Cons

Many large organizations have firewall settings that block this tool. Also, Google definitely is no longer a privacy advocate, so be aware that your call.video is stored on one of their servers for their purposes. Finally, while this is all browser-based on Macs/PCs, it is a resource hog, but not as bad as Webex.

Reasons for Choosing Google Meet

It's free and simple to use. For specific scenarios, I do sometimes use other options.

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

Addition of phone number option for each meeting

Jarad from Humboldt Area Foundation

Industry: Philanthropy

Google Meet is a Solid Alternative to Zoom

We turned to Google Meet to help us expand our virtual meeting capabilities. With the low-price Zoom offering, we quickly hit our license limit. With Google Meet, the app is included in our G Suite purchase so there was never a problem with licensing or accessing our accounts.

Pros

My colleagues began our work-from-home adventure using Zoom and quickly encountered some problems, mostly with hitting the limits of our license very quickly. We explored buying more licenses and then decided to give Google Meet a try since it's included with the purchase of the G Suite, which includes other useful tools like Google Drive and Gmail. Google Meet is easy to use, intuitive and has a great mobile app.

Cons

The only drawback to switching to Google Meet was needing to relearn some basic functions like sharing screens. Many of us spent the first six months of COVID exclusively using Zoom, so it took some time to pivot to Google Meet. That said, we're fully entrenched in Google now and like it very much. My IT guy also praises the enhanced security since our Google Meet accounts are linked with our Google Logins, which automatically include two-factor authentication.

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

Licensing issues with Zoom prompted the switch to Google Meet.

Heather from Manarah Islamic academy

Hangouts- not all good

My negatives happen to be that Google hang out sometimes can be distracting especially since we have been teaching virtually and the students will you think they’re paying attention to you on zoom or whatever but they’re not because they are in Google hangouts chatting with each other. This is where I have my negativity comes in because I can’t get them out of the chats and I can’t control the chats like I would like to be able to. I don’t like to be one of those teachers that says no but they need to be focusing on me during class time and not on their Google hangouts.

Pros

I have to say I have mixed review about Google hangouts.When I first found out about the Google hangouts I was really excited about it and I introduced her to my students. It was working great they could do projects together after school they could meet each other and chat about some thing they could find out what the homework was things like that also I am it really works during the COVID-19 because they can’t get together and work next week on there but they can chat to each other on the Google hangouts. With all of that sad I am I also like to use it for my colleagues and to reach out real quick and touch base. But I guess I’ll put the negatives in the con box because I do have negatives.

Tibor from KOMPOT

Industry: Motion Pictures and Film

I want my Google Hangouts

Google Meet solves my need to establish a connection with my colleagues and clients and hold a quick and short meetings when I know that all of the involved are comfortable with Google's platform. The tool has strong competition from other similar providers which are also offering a better and more expansive system which has some benefits for business users. I like the fact that Google is incorporating and connecting its software, so it's on one hand very easy to connect Google Calendar to this and offers some extended functionality, but at the same time you can see quite easily that those two programs are developed by completely different teams that are not thinking alike. I would love a chat buddy (AI of some sorts) to take notes on what everyone is saying during the meetings.

Pros

I adore the overall simplicity and cleanliness of the GUI. As a standard feature available with any of the tier of the new Google Workspace it is very accessible, and most of the clients I work with are already somehow connected to the Google platform, either through email or their phones. I love the option to change my GUI and have multiple screen layouts (not revolutionary, but nice to have). The fact that a shortened link is automatically created on starting a new meeting is also a deal breaker because it's very easy to communicate where to meet with the clients and coworkers. I love the fact that the Meet can create captions to be able to understand others more easily.

Cons

The nice use of white space and the emptyish GUI is also an issue somehow because some of the functionality is lacking. I would love a dedicated desktop app (like Skype, or Zoom, have) - for example to be able to share files just by drag&dropping them into the conversation windows. It would be great to be to chat with people in particular and not just the entire group all at once. Also, a fantastic option would be to be able to record the entire session.

Reasons for Choosing Google Meet

I am continuing to mix and match the software I use to be able to keep up with my clients which use all sorts of computers and business workflows. Hangouts or Meet are just a tool that keeps me where my head needs to be.

Luca Stefano from codersmedia

One of the best options out there, but resource hungry

I generally prefer it over other platforms and Google services are always a guarantee, but there's still room for improvement.

Pros

The limit of 100 attendees is really generous, and it is even more if you have a business account, plus you do not need any additional software other than your browser. Only Zoom can compete with such a number in the free plan, but you need to install a dedicated program to use it and is not as stable as Google Meet.

Cons

CPU and RAM usage ramps up a lot compared to other alternatives

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

Whereby limit of 4 people was too strict and the paid plan price was too high compared to the use we do of the platform.

Paulo from Peerdustry

Industry: Machinery

Pandemic accelerated Google Meet features but it is still lacking some...

Every day companion on these long days at the home office, improving a lot lately, but with room to improve further.

Pros

All-in-one with Google Workspace, easy login, connected to my calendar e-mail, good iOS app, works great on chrome. Stable even with lots of people connected with cameras on. After march/20, google speeded up the new features pace, following zoom active users boom. for a brief period o time in 2020 all enterprise only (pricy) features were open for all.

Cons

I really miss "record meetings" feature on non enterprise accounts. And the fact that you can move features up or down on products inside the google workspace subscription forces decisions to have "another" product (such as zoom) to solve your specific need, although it is a google workspace problem, not Google Meet. A better solution for dual connection (connecting smartphone and laptop browser) at the same meeting is pending, you should be able to connect as viewer only in the same way we do as presenter only.

Reasons for Choosing Google Meet

Gmail over Outlook, more flexible and more startup, less corporate.

Jeff from Canopy

The only way remote work has worked

We have really enjoyed it, and would recommend it to any small company, and I have even used it with my family. The deployment was tremendously easy, and we have all but given up on anything else that we use for video conferencing.

Pros

It is easy to use, and it has directly integrated with our email and calendar. This is tremendously invaluable as we have conducted our remote work all via Hangouts. About a year ago, they were lacking in some functionality, but they have made great strides.

Cons

Initially they were suffering in comparison to Zoom, and there are still some things that aren't ideal, but they have made up a lot of ground. First off was dropping the name hangouts, which was pretty much a nonstarter to use for business cases.

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

Google was far cheaper, and much easier to start meetings as it was directly integrated in the calendar.

Keziah from YFPA

good and affordable but not so great software

I love this software because the free version gives you 60mins to meet with up to 100 people.

Pros

The best thing about Google meet is that anyone who has a google email can start a meeting with up to 100 people who also Gmail accounts. The software is compatible with basically all devices hence one can access a meeting from wherever they are. As the host for a meeting one gets to mute participants in a meeting or even remove them from the meeting. The screen sharing tool makes it easy for one to make presentations in a meeting. Another main thing that I love about this software is that one is able to preview the audio and video quality of the call just before joining the meeting.

Cons

The two things that I least like about this software are that it keeps dropping the audio in a call and the fact that one needs a Gmail account in order to join a meeting.

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

Google Meet integrates well with other Google apps like Google calendar, and it's easy to use.

Jessica from Jessica Mattner, RMT

Google Meet, a great alternative for today's conference calls

I honestly needed an alternative software for conference calls and this was a super easy to use and set up solution. I've had a google account for years for my business, and this works really well for my needs.

Pros

It is so easy to set up, and all you need is a google account, (@gmail email address). You can set up an online meeting for up to 100 participants and up to 60 minutes per meeting.

Cons

The free version does not give you a "hand raise" feature, which is really nice when there are a lot of participants. That's really my only complaint about about it.

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

The security of Zoom is questionable, and falls apart when held up to scrutiny.

Sandesh from Retailigence

One of the best communication tools for anyone

Google meet is stop solution for the group meet-up and sprint planning. People can use collaborative dashboard to present better understanding. It is convenient tool for the enterprises for the communication. We at our organization use this as daily communication tool.

Pros

Multiple people can share their screen and oone can pinned to a particular screen as well. Ease of scheduling meet from multiple channels like calender or slack app. Scheduling meets through calendar is really great feature.

Cons

Recently they removed recording functionality from mid tier.

Reasons for Choosing Google Meet

Other alternative are hard to get up and running within short time and less convenient than Google meet. They also lack some of good features that Google meet offer.

Gihan from Synapsys Limited

Boring? make it excited with google meet

Excellent and easy use software which we have free of charge to cater to our meeting requirements. Recordings and sharing screens are really helpful features defined by the Google team and really helpful during the meetings. overall an excellent software which I can recommend to all the new users who is their second thought of using this amazing software

Pros

Who thought that making the video calls will be this much easy? Thank you google for giving us this opportunity and it will be really helpful to hangout with our office mates, friends, and even with professional life. No further traveling for meetings, No infrastructure requirements for the meetings. Just installed and get connected. The world will become smaller than ever expected. Thank you google for giving us this opportunity without any cost. Arranging meetings is very easy, the video quality is very much high and even the sound quality is very much high, and the minimum disturbances throughout the meetings. Since it is given as an extant ti the google Calendar any user can easily arrange hangout meetings as Calendar events and the required members very easily which I love most

Cons

it would be better if we can take notes with the google software and share the meeting summary with the participants on a real-time basis. Better if we can add personalized sound effects when chatting with the participants. even the voice can be changed. further, if we can rearrange our videos which we can share with the participants with the this they should see and shouldn't see. should have the personalized tool of settings which can be very useful to maintain the professionalism of the meeting.

Easy to use and well integrated to Gmail and google calender

I have been using Google meet for my daily meetings for more than 3 years now and with Covid situation since last year , it has greatly being used as most of the work shifted from in-office to remote working culture. Google meet has stood up the expectations like scaling or customizing some of the features so overall a great communication tool

Pros

It is well integrated with Gmail and Google Calendar so one can join a meeting in click of a button if using Gmail as business email services. Google meet has accurate caption option and is useful when meeting with non native English speaking people. Have great feature to add audio bridge automatically

Cons

Shall have an UI other than from internet browser like chrome just like skype so that it can be used as separate communication tool

Organization decision to move from outlook to Gmail

Organization decision to move from outlook to Gmail

Pressilla from Eternal Insurance Agency

Top-notch Video Quality

It’s a great software. The quality and features are one of the best I’ve ever experienced. It’s so easy to use even for first time users that I’ve had no complaints. I use it daily and the video quality is probably my favorite part. It doesn’t lag, it doesn’t require tons of storage space like many other software and it’s credible

Pros

I use this software for virtual meetings with my team or clients. I love that I can add a link to the attendees calendars that they can just click and join the meeting and I can also set up the meeting to send email reminders about the meeting. It integrates well with my Google calendar, so well I open the app, it shows if I have any meetings scheduled for the day. It’s easy to use and customize. You can even give your meeting a nickname. It includes a “Lean how to start a meeting” link that literally breaks it down to every step. That’s really helpful for beginners. The video and sound quality is amazing and it also has some cool backdrop features that you can use if you want to keep your background discreet, hidden or maybe for other purposes. I use it as a part of my G-suite plan but it is basically free for use by the public. I also think the chat feature is very useful, and it allows me to easily navigate and share my screen while presenting.

Cons

There is a limit of about 100 people that can join the meeting at a time which can be an issue for larger group meetings. And the backdrops are not high quality as you sometimes can see yourself fading into the background, which some clients complain about the way it makes them look.

Ease of use

Jenny from Farmingdale State University

Great for team meetings!

Overall, I do recommend Google Meet as it can be utilized by a variety of organizations, not necessarily an office. For example, if students need to meet with advisors or teachers, this is a great platform to use. Even if it is for family meetings, I think a diverse group can utilize Google Meets as this software is very easy to work with, and if needed, troubleshoot is usually easy to access.

Pros

Google Meet was a convenient way for my co-workers and I to meet during this pandemic. We held weekly meetings and for me personally, I use Google Meet twice a week for different team meetings. I love that Google Meets is a secure platform that requires a password to enter a room, as some meetings are confidential. We also have a few co-workers who are not tech savvy but due to the pandemic, they needed to learn how to utilize the platform. It was easy to teach my co-workers how to utilize the mute/un-mute button on the bottom of the screen and how to use "tiles" to see everyone in the screen. The icons are simple and easy to understand. For example, the team leader usually mutes the entire time upon entering the room however, sometimes when it is someone's turn to speak, they forget that they are muted. So for those who forget how to use Google Meet, we would just tell them to tape the "microphone" to unmute. It was very easy to understand and with a simple click, the job is done! I also love that there is an option to see if your Wi-Fi is low, or has an issue. That is a big indicator and can affect meetings, so if I do see that message I just warn my team that I may disconnect. In addition, Google Meets added a feature that gives us the ability to change our backgrounds during meetings. This been a delight for my team! We love utilizing it and have a little fun during our meetings!

Cons

One thing that I do dislike about this software is that sometimes it glitches. For example, we utilize the "Share screen" option quite often but usually it's blurry or it freezes the Google meeting. We are still able to hear audio, but video that is being shared is affected. Luckily, this only happens once in a while and we have not found a solution to it within our office. Usually, we all just agree to exit and meet back in the room. It is not a big issue for us but it may interfere with some important meetings if utilizing this platform for important matters. Another dislike that I have about this software is that when you do choose "tiles" to see everyone on the meeting, the tiles may not fit everyone. We usually have a meeting with about 12 people but, when I try to use "tiles" to see everyone on the call, I can only see about 10 people on the screen. I'm not sure if this is a glitch. So there is a meeting with more than ten people, this is something to consider. You can still hear them well, just not see them. You can also choose the option "speaker view" which will show the person that is talking at that time. But, this is not a big deal in terms of the quality of the call, it is just a personal opinion.

Excellent free option

We've been doing a lot of video calls throughout 2020, which was causing a rise in our price with other programs. We wanted a cheaper solution, and Google Hangouts fit the bill. I haven't noticed much of a difference because Hangouts does everything I need and want a video conference program to do.

Pros

I like how easy Hangouts is to use, plus having access to it on my phone through the app makes it very convenient. Since my company uses gmail-based email accounts and calendars, the integration for Hangouts is baked-in, which makes using it a breeze. I know our guys in accounting appreciate the price point too, which was a major reason for switching to Google Hangouts. Since it's all in-browser 9or in-app) there's nothing to download, which can confuse clients and sometimes bog down the calls. Hangouts also keep s a nice record of the conversations I've had, including the text, video, and audio conversations, which I've had to refer to from time to time.

Cons

Other programs might have more features, but honestly, Hangouts covers all of them that you might need. I really don't have a problem with it. Maybe the one issue is some clients who aren't using Gmail have had a harder time connecting, but it's not that bad nor is it very common.

Pricing

Simple, free, and it works.

In short, Google Meets works. And they keep making it better. Plus, it integrates super nicely with Google Calendar too of course. Whenever scheduling a meeting, the fact that a Meet link is automatically added is great.

Pros

- I've been using Google Meet/Hangouts for years now but I have been particularly impressed with the feature additions in this past year of covid-19 and the increased demand for video-calling. They've added features that competitors have and that their users had been asking for. Additionally, there were extensions created by people for Google Meets, and seeing the demand from users for these, many of the functionalities from these browser extensions were also implemented. Examples include the tile view as well as selecting a background, adding your own, or simply blurring it. They've also added the option to raise hands, use whiteboards, and SO MUCH MORE. I love the way they have been reacting to requests.

Cons

I am a longtime user, who in the last year became a power user with multiple calls every day, and I haven't experienced a single con to report or mention.

Souhil from OBUYZ Store

one of the best conferencing app's in the Market

Using a Google app is amazing especially when inviting people to join your meeting and you really don't need to explain anything to them because It's easy to use and a well-known app. I really didn't have any problem with it and I know if I had any problem Google Support is there and they will fix my problem in just a few minutes and this will help me to save a lot of time. Google Meet is an excellent option for small and big businesses and the price is great too compared to other apps.

Pros

It's very cheap because it comes with the Google G suit package and it's easy to use application with a friendly user interface. I can share my screen, especially when explained or presenting something. I can share any tips or files during the meeting with as many people as I want without any problem. Google Meet allows me to invite anyone to the meeting using just their email address (Gmail) and I even can invite them using Google Calendar so simply I can schedule a meeting and put the email addresses and automatically they are invited. Google security system is one of the best in the market and I really trust them when I use Google Meet because I feel safe using this app and I really don't have to worry when I share my files or host or join a meeting in general. It's available for both android and IOS devices also, a chrome extension too so in this way, I can't find any problem when inviting people using different devices. I can join the meeting just by phone without using my camera. I can use other Google services with google meet because it's integrated with a lot of google apps like google docs, slides, sheets...etc. The price is great because I have a small business and I don't need to spend a lot of money to have software like this. Google support service is great and they have a lot of resources to help us understand the features and how to use them and they have a phone number available for us 24/7 so, I case I have any problem I will fix it just in a few minutes.

Cons

I can't access it on other browsers because Google allows us to use it only on google chrome as a chrome extension. and I hope they will add more browsers in the future like Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge...etc.

Matthew from freelancer

Comprehensive Tool For video Conferencing

My overall experience with Google Meet has been a very positive one. I do use other means of collaboration with colleagues and friends however Google Meet is by far the most frequently used software I use to keep in touch. Its G Suite integration is likely the top reason I turn to Google Meet every time when I need to collaborate. Based on my user experience I highly recommend using this software.

Pros

When you need to stay in touch with collogues and employees remotely it is highly recommended that you use Google Meet. By far one of the most impressive feature of Google Meet is its ability to offer full access and integration with G Suite programs. This is a great addition to any business because it results in you saving money because using a separate video conferencing service is not necessary. Also there is a free version while the paid version costs only $6 a month which is cheaper when compared to other video conferencing services. This is great for small businesses on a tight budget. Another thing I like about Google Meet is that it is already available in the widely used Gmail software. This allows you to check emails and gather information in preparation for or during a video conference with colleagues and employees. Also, screen sharing is a welcomed bonus to this amazing software.

Cons

Firewall settings can affect the use of Google Meet but overall Google Meet runs smoothly without any interference.

Reasons for Choosing Google Meet

Google Meet seems to be the most affordably option at $6 a month. So cost also played a factor in my final decision. Also most people seem to be familiar with Google products in general and so that is why I chose Google Meet as it is more widely used.

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

The paid version of Google meet costs $6 a month while TeamViewer costs $49 a month.

Sarah from Paintline

Great for remote workers!

Google Meet is a great free video conferencing software that integrates well with Gmail and Hangouts. You can also use the software on your phone if you download the mobile app, which works just as well (if not better) than the desktop version. I love being able to quickly hit the Google Meet button on our Hangouts chat to instantly start a video call with the individuals within that chat. It's a great software for small companies looking to save money on software.

Pros

Google Meet is one of the main communication tools we use for our company. We are all remote employees, working in different states and time zones. Meet helps us keep the communication flowing and open, and have in-person meetings virtually. It's super quick and easy to use.

Cons

Google Meet can sometimes be glitchy if you don't have it set up on your computer correctly. For example, if you are joining a meeting and don't give access to your camera or microphone, you can't change those settings while the meeting is in progress (you have to exit the meeting and then dial back in). It's also crashed on us a few times as well if we have too many people join the video meeting at one time.

Reasons for Choosing Google Meet

We considered using Slack in order to have all of our internal conversations and meetings, though (for the same reasons as Zoom above), we went with Google Meet and Hangouts instead since it was more convenient. We all use Gmail, so it's easier to have our internal conversations on one screen instead of switching back and forth between multiple platforms.

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

We switched over from Zoom due to cost purposes. We are a small company of only 4 employees, so we have to cut costs wherever we can. It was also a little more inconvenient to leave our Google Hangouts conversation (which we use constantly) to open up the Zoom application to start a meeting, then drop that Zoom link into the Hangouts chat box. It was a few extra unnecessary steps, so we started using Google Meet instead which was much more convenient.

Ryan from ISM Connect

Industry: Broadcast Media

Classic Google Simplicity & Basics

No software gets an A+ because there is always room for innovation and improvement but Meet comes very close. From adding a Google Meet video conference to a client invitation to simply joint and being on a call with the company, the ease of use is unparalleled.

Pros

I use Meet everyday both internally and externally and I do that simply because I am able to schedule and include a link to the video chat with a single click and the recipient is presentee with an invitation link with no additional steps except to join in. Ease of use is off the charts with this video conference option and I wouldn't be able to go back to another service that had so many additional steps, Clients would just opt to not show up.

Cons

The absolute only thing Google really needs to focus on improvement wise with this software is the background noise it transmits. A lost of other higher end web clients will remove background noises like interfere or echoing but I do hear it fairly often within Meet.

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

For us it was a cost option. We couldn't justify the pricing for the amount of team mates we had at the time and at this point I doubt we would be moving away from Google Suite any time soon.

Alejandro Javier from Villalon Engineering

My virtual meeting room

Google Meet has allowed me to work with people around the world, its easy integration has made it easier for me to set up meetings, and the feature of share my screen has allowed me to hold very productive meetings.

Pros

Integration with your Google account, you can generate your virtual meeting from your email, from your calendar, etc. Screen sharing allows you to improve your presentation

Cons

It lacks some features, like being able to make notes about what you are presenting ... and the option of being able to record the meeting or part of the meeting.

Reasons for Choosing Google Meet

Integration with your Google account.

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

People hardly have a hotmail account anymore, the gmail account is used more.

Caroline from Chiang Rai International School

Excellent for Collaborative Work

Google Meet provided an excellent experience for me, as a teacher, to be able to communicate with my students while we were all at home. It is quick and easy to set up, and no software needs to be downloaded.

Pros

As a teacher, I used Google Meet during our distance learning. It was easy for my 5th grade students to understand, and they were able to use it without any problems. I also enjoyed that I could link it with my Google Calendar and my students would receive the invite that I shared. I absolutely loved that there was no time limit on it, unlike other online video meeting software. Video was clear, and I was able to mute students who had distracting background sounds. Both students and I were able to share our screens with the group when we needed to explain something that was on our computers.

Cons

I would have loved it if there was a waiting room for the students, so that I could admit them when I was ready. I would also like if there was a background feature so that both I, and my students, could have a background that was less distracting than our rooms.

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

Some of my students struggled to download the Zoom software and to understand how this software worked.

Mora from Universidad de Buenos Aires

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Just a few things

I use Google Meet for all my university lessons. Almost everyday of the week I have a programed meeting with Google Meet. I also use it with my partners to design our architecture project. I really like it! We used to use Zoom, because of what I said before, that the proffessor could see us while he was teaching, but my university settled something with google that allows us to use google meet without spending any money on cellullar data (GREAT). And the fact that the meeting doesn't get cut every 40 minutes also influenced A LOT.

Pros

I like the fact that it is connected with all the other google utilities. Everybody knows about it, it is easy to use, it is easy to setle a meeting with google meet. The fact that it can be connected with google calendar and gmail is a GREAT idea, I would have forgotten half of my classes if it weren't for google calendar. And would have spent too much time looking for the link, but because it is linked with the calendar, I can just enter to the Google Meet webpage and it just appears there. That was great, and all the improvements that were made in the last few weeks, great too.

Cons

There is something that REALLY throws down google meet at the time to choose it, and it is that nowadays, with the quarantine, teachers and professors had to turn to these kind of softwares to be able to give their classes. And everybody wants this online method to be as similar to normal classes as possible, so at least, when you teach, you want to be able to see who you are talking to, but when you share your screen on Google Meet, you can not see anybody, you can not see who you are talking to, if they are listening, you can't see when they tell you something, and mainly, you feel like you are talking to a computer and not to people. It is a detail that makes a really big difference. Another thing that would be great is if people could draw on other person's screen when they are presenting. I use Meet with my classmates to design a project and it is really hard to explain sometimes from which part of the drawing you are talking about, so between that and the fact that the other person can't see you, it becomes really hard. One last thing would be something I saw on Zoom and I thought that was great. When you minimize the it you can still have a little window with the person that is talking just floating there. You can move it and put it wherever you want, so if you are watching a class, or someone giving a speech, you can still work on something else and see who's talking, that is not the same as hearing them.

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

My university settled something with google that allows us to use google meet without spending any money on cellullar data (GREAT). And the fact that the meeting doesn't get cut every 40 minutes also influenced A LOT. And it is simpler, easier, which is better mainly for older professors that don't handle the computer perfectly.

Nadir from University of Pennsylvania

Google What?

I have loved using Google Meet. I have used it for my students, and for my family. It is a simple tool that works with any modern browser, and it has apps for mobile platforms that work pretty well. The self-preview window is tiny, so that takes some time to get used to.

Pros

This tool is built seamlessly into the Google Suite, so if your organization is a GSuite organization or if you are a Gmail user, you have access to this, free of charge, and it works very well. The controls are quite straightforward. The tool is not very feature rich, but whatever it does, it does well. The integration with Gmail came a little late, and was largely in response to Covid19, and before this the tool was only meant for enterprise users.

Cons

Google's messaging and meeting platform is full of confusion. The fact that I started out thinking I was writing a review for Google Hangouts and then I ended up on the Google Meet review page is a good summary of this bungled world of messaging. Google is not a reliable company when it comes to communication. They have gone back and forth on Hangouts, Meet, Messenger, Wave, Plus, Duo, Allo... you name it, they have it, and nothing has really lasted forever. Google Meet works for now, but who knows where it will be in a year!

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

BlueJeans did not have compatible apps for older Android devices, and some of the non-standard app stores for Android don't even carry the BlueJeans app. When I had international video conferences, using BlueJeans was a challenge. You needed to have BlueJeans Rooms which is not a part of the free platform, so it is really not feasible for one to have meetings with people outside the organization. Google Meet has no such issues that I am aware of.

Gustavo from Hospital das Clínicas da Universidade de São Paulo

A great tool that still needs improvement

Google Meet has become a daily tool in my life since the adoption of distance learning at my university. It is very easy and quick to get used to it, but some technical problems can make your experience less fluid and a little irritating at times. Overall, it is a reliable, competent program, but it can improve in some aspects.

Pros

The main advantage of Google Meet is its reliability. There are many competitors on the market, but few can match Google in the stability and security of its servers. The program has a simple and intuitive operation, allowing new users to adapt quickly. The invitation of members to a meeting is very easy, with the generation of an access link that can be shared. However, this does not make it difficult to control who can access the meeting, since new members, to participate, must receive authorization from those who are already at the meeting. Privacy options to disable your microphone and camera are available at all times, and even before entering the room, on the standby screen. Another great possibility is to record the entire meeting, which can be saved and made available through Google Drive to the participants.

Cons

Despite providing a good overall experience, Google Meet suffers from some technical flaws. The main one is the inconsistency of the transmission quality. Even with good internet connections, the video quality presents severe bitrate drops, distorting the images and making some written content being transmitted, almost unreadable. The flaws in the audio are even more uncomfortable, occurring in some moments glitches that can be extremely unpleasant, especially in headphones users. Both failures can be minimized by reducing the number of participants who are broadcasting audio and video, but this goes against the whole proposal for a virtual meeting. A less serious negative point is the impossibility of saving the settings of the program interface in your Google account, being necessary to reconfigure from the default whenever you enter a meeting.

Mira from Blueshore Boutique

Useful for virtual meetings

Overall, this app is useful. That's why I use it daily. I have a Google Pixel 2, so it's easy to use Google apps.

Pros

I appreciate how many people can join a virtual meeting using Google Meet using a shared link or by sharing a meeting code. My last meeting on Google Meet had more than 70 people joining. Everyone had a good experience. Sometimes I wished I was able to mute attendees without having to ask them, but oh well. As the presenters were talking, I was able to send questions via chat that everyone can view without interrupting the speaker. I think the high turnout in our Google Meet meeting is a testimony that it was easy to connect and join the meeting using Google Meet. It's user-friendly. It was free to use Google Meet, which is a plus. I like how app automatically switches to the video of the person who is speaking. I like how that I can turn off speaker phone mode, mute my mic and turn off my video while still tuning into the meeting. The captions feature is a great idea! I'm surprised at how it is able to accurately convert speech-to-text even when I am using uncommon names, sometimes. It is able to go back and correct punctuations/grammar. Sometimes It goes back to incorrectly "correct" a sentence that was correct the 1st time, but I guess it is the way I talk. I talk with a "lisp." I use Zoom, too, and it's hard to get people to understand how to get it working and barely anyone joins Zoom meetings.

Cons

I cannot add a virtual background. Speech-to-text (captions) is a nice feature but is not reliable, because it sometimes go back to incorrectly "correct" a sentence. Easy to accidentally back out or exit a meeting. No tile view. It's hard to figure out how to end the meeting.

Reasons for Choosing Google Meet

Free and easy for me to use.

Google Hangouts! Give it a try, you'll love it!

Overall I loved using google hangouts! It's clean, fast, responsive, good quality video and audio calls and my students love it. Seeing both email and chat's also in Gmail has also been a cool feature just another part of the synchronicity. A great product that is available for free and a product that should be used by everyone.

Pros

In the past I've used many other video conferencing platforms such as skype, zoom or even Whatsapp, but recently I made the switch to use Google Hangouts to communicate with students and I have to say I love it. During these tough times it's hard to meet students and I've committed to doing online teaching and using google hangouts. It syncs up very smoothly and easily to your google account, receiving notifications and messages to any of your devices connected to your google account. It has a very clean and simple interface that can be used very easily in a professional setting. It has great quality in transmitting, voice and video output and the best part about this product is that it's completely free.

Cons

I have no cons regarding this software, my only issue may be that hangouts is not as popular as some of the other video conferencing software's out there. Also maybe a potential negative is the ability for video calls to be automatically recorded and an option for me to download said call afterwards would be a great addition. Hopefully with this review and others I can get more people to use this software for all their needs.

Reasons for Choosing Google Meet

Due to Zoom's safety and security risks of it's data. Also due to the fact that Google Hangouts has a much cleaner interface, better synchronicity and my students have found this to be much easier to use.

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

Due to the fact that hangouts is much easier to use, slick and clean layout, synchronicity with my google account and other devices, and finally the fact that it's completely free to use.

Brittany from Bridal beauty on the go

Love it

Overall love Hangouts.

Pros

Super user friendly. I have used Hangouts to train freelance artists about the company virtually every few weeks. I use it to train employees by sharing my screen and allowing trainees to share their screen. Very simple to use!

Cons

If there’s one thing I don’t like- it’s the connection and functionality when we have over 10 users on the Hangout. I realize it may not be built for large meetings, but it would save us from using Zoom if we were able to use Hangouts!

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

Skype was more of a video chat rather than virtual training room that we were searching for.

Anant from BitRotor

Hangouts - What better way to work from home?

Basically what we were looking for was a conferencing solution that was free and reliable. Working and presentations directly from home was also a big consideration. Hangouts successfully filled that space and has presented no reason to switch

Pros

- If used for video calling, it offers one of the highest quality video calling, this is in fact the most desirable feature of the application. - All of this is for free which makes it extremely economical for the kind of quality it offers. - I personally find that it is very easy to learn and that it gives you a quick option for chatting and video conferencing both personal and in groups. - It also gives the facility of sharing multimedia files, emojis and stickers which makes its use in Business and Personal circles extremely lucrative.

Cons

- It requires a stable and high bandwidth to properly function and if you are in a situation where don't have either of these things the app simply won't work or it would work with a lots of disturbances which can be very disappointing at times. - It doesn't provide you with the facility of seeing the status of your contacts whether or not they are available for conversation which makes it troublesome to use. - You also can't search for a previous conversation or message particularly, you can't even delete messages individually, in case you want to delete one text, you will have to delete the entire chat.

Reasons for Choosing Google Meet

The costs and internet requirements are troublesome. The lag and slow nature makes it hard to recommend.

Leng Maday from Arts for Lawrence

Great for team communications

I love this software! I really do. I use it as the team chat in my organization. For simple communications and messages this is my to-go software. It's instantaneous, and since it's an extension from Google, the messages can be received either through the computer or the cellphone. In addition, the video conferencing and share screen options are awesome! It's been proved to be very helpful to me when I want to discuss about something with somebody who is not physically present. I use this software for work only to avoid confusions with personal communications.

Pros

I like a lot of things about Hangouts. First, I love how simple it is. Second, I like the fact that is an extension from Google and connects/synchronizes to your Google account. I mean, who doesn't have/use a google account these days? You can receive messages directly to your computer or your cellphone. Hangouts knows what device is active. I also like the emoticons, they are different than other messaging softwares and apps. So far, I am loving Google Hangouts because of its simplicity, cool features, and connection/synchronicity to Google account.

Cons

So far, I have no complains about the software. I only use it at work as a way to keep separated work communications from personal ones. Although something I don't like is that in order to be able to receive messages, Google account must be initiated.

Reasons for Choosing Google Meet

I choose Hangouts because of its simplicity, connection to Google, it's free, and the videoconferencing and share screen option are awesome!

Greg from Information Technology

One Spot for all Your Voice Needs

I've used Google Hangouts predecessor, Google Voice, since it came out. I even used it with Sprint when they partnered automatic voice forwarding and using your Sprint number on Google Voice (circa ~2010). Back then, I'd often use my HP laptop's microphone array and speakers covering the width of the device to use the speakerphone. Better quality on my laptop speakerphone setup with Google Voice (later Hangouts) than directly on a phone. Google Hangout's voice quality has always been exceptionally clear and steady. No perceptible delays, no stuttering, and it sounds high bitrate. Google Hangouts continues to provide cheap international phone calls through any of their interfaces. Also, enabled me to call over any Wi-Fi enabled device for cheaper calling when traveling outside USA. I often use a bluetooth headset with my computer, alternate regularly between Android + iOS devices (often carrying two simultaneously), while always maintaining Google Hangouts in the background and the same number across all devices. In recent years, Google Hangouts allowed me to login to multiple phone accounts in a single device. In addition to voice, Google Hangouts in recent years began supporting text and media messages through their desktop and mobile app making it seamless to start a conversation on one device then move to a more efficient device without waiting for a synchronization. Its become a complete cell phone replacement without the need to stay connected to one wireless carrier.

Pros

Google Hangouts best feature is simultaneous use on multiple platforms. I use it on Android, iOS, and a web browser simultaneously. Text messages are forwarded to all devices. Phone calls are forwarded to all devices. Moreover, I can make an outgoing call on one device then put it on hold and call someone else if I need a quick conversation. The combinations are endless.

Cons

There are features that interest me but I struggle to use. I should be able to transfer a call from one open device to another by pressing the '*' (star) button? I haven't succeeded in doing this. I should record calls through some key combination, but it doesn't work for me. Certain distinct features could be better used if there was a menu of options.

Great option for communication!

Very satisfied! This allows me to stay up to date with colleagues and stay on the same page regarding projects and tasks. We tried other platforms, but given Hangouts integration with G Suite, this is hands down the best option.

Pros

Hangouts is a fantastic option for online communication with teams or individuals. Here's what I like the most: - It's a standard app in the G Suite platform so everything works with your Gmail/Drive account. There's no need to learn a new system or create a separate login. If you have a Gmail account, your good to go for free. - Integration of G Suite files is seamless and effortless. - All chat history is saved, so you can go back and review communications if you need to check on something. - The user interface is clean and user-friendly. - It's incredibly easy to learn to use. Not a steep learning curve. - You have the ability to set up contact groups/teams for special purposes. - Reliable - As long as you have a decent connection, audio and video chat is reliable and works well. - Works across devices - laptop, tablet, phone!

Cons

It lacks a few advanced features that competitors offer, but given that it's free with Drive and all that Drive offers, this is hardly a complaint. This may not be suitable for online meetings involving multiple people in places.

Reasons for Choosing Google Meet

The price and integration with G Suite were the major reasons.

G Suite integration

Google Hangouts Review

Overall Google Hangouts provides us with good chatting functionality within our institute. End users find it extremely easy to use and enjoy seeing their email and chats in the same window.

Pros

The integration into gmail is the best option for me. You can also download an app. With Active Directory Sync it is very easy to locate employees and it does allow you to chat externally.

Cons

From time to time Hangouts would lose connectivity and go "Offline" while email was still available. This wasn't very often but it happened enough times to notice it over time. Notifications of a new message need to be worked on. It would be nice to see a more visible pop-up via the web interface. When I installed the app I began to see 2 windows come up and it was difficult to figure how and which one to turn off.

Reasons for Choosing Google Meet

The cost and functionality was the right fit for us.

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

While Jabber had some good phone integration options it often had problems communicating with the server rendering it offline a few times. The update feature was also a bit clumsy as you had to manually update the client on the backend so the server could push it out to end-user machines. This feature was quite inefficient and my team had to visit systems and install it.

Malinda from Ceylon Government Railway

Industry: Government Relations

A wonderful communication tool

Over 2 years I have been using google hangouts and my experience was very positive. It's one of the most famous and incredible applications available for communication. Application is very light and it loads really fast. For me it's a great tool for video conferencing and collaboration. I think it is a good invesment for any business.

Pros

As station masters we do communication mainly through emails and video conferences. There are quite a lot of employees in each and every station and it is somewhat difficult to gather them all at one place to held meetings. So we decided to use video conferencing for meetings when employees are difficult to be gathered. Google hangouts help me to connect with other station masters. Google hangouts has everything that mandatory for communication. I don't need to install any application instead it's perfectly integrate with the email account. I can check the availability of co-workers and the important conversations with them can be archived easily. Normally we create calendar events and join from hangouts.While I'm using hangouts, I can access both my mails and chat from my mobile and my PC. The interface is really simple and easy to follow so that that even an average person can easily use this.

Cons

I love to have the feature of sharing multiple images and different file types with my colleagues. It would be great if google can improve on sharing different file types like pdf,xlsx etc and multiple images at once. Likewise google need to make certain improvements in hangouts to be competitive with other software giants in the industry. Other than that I have no complaints regarding hangouts and it satisfies me with my expectations about communication.

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

The first app we used for video conferencing was slack. Slack limits the number of conference members to 15 but in google hangouts we can invite up to 50 people. Google hangouts comes with Google’s G Suite package. We do not need to spend more because our company is already using G Suite package and that is the main reason why we decided to switch from slack to google hangouts

Gaurav from Priority Health

Video Conferencing Made Super Easy!

I am using Google Hangout tool at work to conduct conferencing calls with web developers so I can explain tagging requirements and strategy for new web pages, sites or applications. I also use it to do vendor presentations on how a particular media campaign performed. Overall my experience has been smooth as long as I am running one conferencing session and have closed all previous sessions. If I am calling using the random conference number and have muted the Hangout session while sharing my screen, it works fine.

Pros

Google Hangout is one of the most intuitive and versatile tools available for video conferencing. Since its integrated with the Google ecosystem, I can access it from my corporate Gmail account or Google Calendar or directly through the meeting link. When I schedule a new meeting with my office colleagues, I can easily add Google Hangout to it when creating the invite which automatically generates a conference number. So, if the video conference doesn't work due to internet issues, I can simply dial into the conference using that random number. My favorite feature is Google Hangout letting me share my screen so other participants can see my presentation or whatever I am sharing in my laptop. All these features are available for use without additional cost, as long as, one has a Google account.

Cons

There are couple of issues which bother me when using Google Hangout. Firstly, I can't have multiple conferencing sessions open at the same time. Secondly, the steps to share my screen or presentation are not very intuitive and confusing to those who are first time users. I also believe active Google Hangout conferencing sessions consume high RAM resources and slows down Chrome browser or CPU. Finally, since Hangout is a Google product, it doesn't work smoothly using any non-Chrome browsers such as Internet Explorer. If I try opening it in Internet Explorer, Google Hangout may not start conference session. Google also needs to add new features and make Hangout more friendly experience when using mobile. Plus, I should be able to use Google Hangout with other meeting participants who don't have Hangout.

Becca from WilsonHCG

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Google Hangouts is the Place to Be!

I love Google Hangouts! It's how my team connects on a daily basis and is so easy to access and utilize. It's super user friendly and very streamlined.

Pros

This is literally the easiest chat and video conference platform, period. It truly puts other software to shame, to the point where it's hard to fathom that companies spend money on specific software to connect in this way when Hangouts is free with G-Suite and super reliable. I love that you can be on or off camera, you can readily mute yourself before even hopping into the hangout, and that it switches the view to the active speaker so that you never have to scroll or click through to see who is talking.

Cons

Sometimes, like with other Google products, it can seize up my Chrome browser. However, this is momentary and the lag will cease after a couple of seconds and allow me into the Hangout chat.

Reasons for Switching to Google Meet

Fuze was constantly dropping, lagging, freezing, and had a limit on the number of people that were able to join. It was honestly TERRIBLE for my company and the quick connections we needed to be making efficiently.

Stephen Olawale from Sunilar Nig.Ltd

MESSAGING PLATFORM BEST FOR THE GOOGLE COMMUNITY

conversations on google hangout cannot be deleted or edited, that makes it to serve has a good record keeping platform for my organisation, in case i forget my past conversation i can search them out. Hangout has helped my organisation to save cost sourcing for other messaging platforms and i prefer it for instant messaging.

Pros

The fact that google hangout is well integrated for the google mail users and chrome users, makes me to prefer it. I receive messages faster, easy to access and communicate with my colleagues at work, hangout makes working from home fun,chat on hangout are well organised and sorted in order, and also, it notify me when messages are sent,hangout offer the ability to create groups for friends or co workers,keeping track of people is made easy, we make video calls daily with clients and trainee , the screen sharing has been very helpful in training our real estate agent on digital marketing. i suggest for my organisation to use google product such as gmail, chrome and hangout, its a great community for easy communication, since they are all well integrated. One other thing is that I can search for my conversations, in case i forget, the fact that messages cannot be deleted after it has been sent has being beneficial, for record keeping, thanks to google.

Cons

I observed that hangout is not keeping up with latest instant messaging features, that allows to send multimedia document easily, accessing, selecting and sending images while on conversation is not easy to access on gallery at ones,the video call functionality needs upgrade to allow more people to share video calls at ones, my organisation is out growing the hangout messaging platforms, we need to be able to send pdf files on hangout, but hangout still remain our choice because it keeps us integrated in the google community, since what cannot be sent through hangout could be sent via gmail.

Jonathan from Legally Mine

Hangouts is a quick and handy, but ultimately lacking chat solution

We have been able to use Google Hangouts to quickly and easily communicate across departments and locations for simple and easy exchange of information.

Pros

Hangouts is incredibly simple to set up and use; it integrates directly into your existing gmail/gsuite account automatically and allows chatting with specific individuals or groups with a single click. You can create new groups very easily, and it's incredibly simple to keep track of who is talking. Chats are sorted by most-recent-first, allowing you to instantly spot new messages and respond.

Cons

There are very, very few features beyond what I've described in the Pros section. It's impossible to edit or delete a chat once it has been sent, there are no 'reactions' to individual chats, and most importantly there's no Level/Tier system meaning all chats are given equal focus and conversations can derail incredibly easily. Furthermore, you're restricted to using either the in-your-email interface, or the chrome addon interface, both of which have serious restrictions and failings in terms of notifications. The in-email interface makes it so you cannot see your chats unless you open your email tab, making multitasking very hard, and also masking notifications to the point it's basically imperceptible. The addon interface is bulky and unwieldy. It lacks any sort of stay-on-top-of-other-windows feature, and even if it had one it's so large you'd never want to use it. It doesn't pop itself forward when you receive any chats. The worst part is that it *used* to have an incredible addon interface, where it sat at the bottom of the screen only taking up a small handful of pixels, and popped up larger and flashed green whenever you had a new chat, and you could click on it to expand that chat to read/reply, and then minimize it back to the bottom of the screen, but then they "updated" it to the current version that's just objectively worse.

Fedra from Foto Studio Sanc

Industry: Photography

A very useful tool offered by Google

I use Hangouts to contact potential clients. I like not having to share my phone number from good to first, I think it's important to keep my personal data protected. I prefer that my clients contact me by email or social networks before sharing my phone number. I also made videoconferences in which the shared screen is one of the tools I use the most. Although it seems incredible, I really like that Hangouts does not notify if the other person saw or did not see the messages, because I think it's an unnecessary functionality. Today we can see a message and not respond immediately because we are busy and for no other reason. But sometimes it's misinterpreted. This is one of the reasons why I like hangouts more than other messaging platforms.

Pros

What I like the most is that I don't need to share my phone number, only my Gmail email account and I already have access. It's totally free since it's another of the tools offered by Google. The interface is intuitive and easy to use, I can share images and videos, I can also make video calls. The app is light and loads very fast. I can chat from the computer or from the cell phone. The videoconferences are excellent, the communication flows very well, although as always, it depends on the internet signal, but in general terms it goes very well, you can share the screen

Cons

There're only two things that I don't like, one of them is that it doesn't have a desktop software but I have to use the web browser. It would be great if they offered software similar to the application they offer for smartphones. And the other thing that I do not like is that it doesn't offer the option to send and receive voice messages.

Ernesto Enrique from Grupo Tera

Best choice if you use Google ecosystem

Google Hangouts helped me and continues to help me with my business to connect with my clients and colleagues, although it has many things that can be improved, it has everything necessary to communicate in addition, free of charge, unlimited and without the need to use other applications, much less install anything . It is a very good solution especially if you are a user of the entire Google ecosystem since, as expected, its integration is excellent.

Pros

I would never have known Hangouts without its integration with the Google mail system and since I am using it I can honestly say that it is the feature that I like the most: its perfect integration with email since it is not necessary to have an application installed on my computer to use it. It is a very simple application to use and it fulfills what it promises, fast, powerful messaging, video calls, ability to create groups of users and quite light if it is used from the web. Another feature that I use a lot and I really like is that the search bar that owns the mail system also finds the messages that you have sent or received through hangouts and it is very useful when you want to find very old messages that you need.

Cons

Something I do not like about Hangouts is that while the competition advances adding more and more features, such as stickers, voice notes, among others, I get the impression that Google Hangouts is not investing time in the platform because it remains the same I also do not like that video calls are not as fluid as their competition and creating a room sometimes gives so many errors that I end up using platform. But when I manage to connect with my colleagues, it works wonders. Finally, I feel that the mobile application must be improved, it is very heavy and slow, today I have a very fast cell phone and it does not affect me but when I had a mid-range cell phone it was a nightmare to use Google Hangouts.

Sheri from Adobe Inn at Cascade

Google Hangouts was my virtual office!

Without Google Hangouts I wouldn't have been able to successfully complete my tasks and responsibilities while working from home remotely. I highly recommend this tool for small companies that want to allow their employees the ability to telecommute.

Pros

Google Hangouts allowed me to stay in touch and collaborate on projects with coworkers while working from remotely for a company from home. Being able to video chat and participate in meetings with others allowed me the freedom to work full time and 100% from a home office. With Google Hangouts you can check a co-workers availability, send direct individual and group messages and video chat easily. I interviewed for the position over Google Hangouts and having never used it before I thought I would be intimidated but it was extremely easy to use. After being hired I was 100% trained by a co-worker in another city over Google Hangouts. Not only did we video chat daily during training she utilized the screen sharing to teach / train me. Once trained I used Google Hangouts every day to communicate and collaborate with coworkers on projects. Google Hangouts was my virtual office and allowed me to be a part of a team while working independently from home.

Cons

Google Hangouts is ideal for work and personal use however our company began to outgrow the video chat limits (Google Hangouts has a limited number of participants that can participate in a video chat meeting) and as a company we needed to switch to a tool that allowed a higher number of users to participate in those type of company wide meetings.

deba from Petronomics Limited

Industry: Oil & Energy

Hangout with convenience and simplicity

Hangout has helped my organization reduce spending on a previous collaboration software we hitherto used. I personally prefer hangout for my instant messaging activities. Not only is the software smooth and lightweight, but it is also very easy to use as well as been quick and unproblematic. It is the epitome of messaging convenience for me.

Pros

Hangout has over the years afforded me a simple and enjoyable messaging experience with the added advantage of been able to send multimedia as well as make calls at reasonable rates to phone numbers and contacts on your Gmail account that also use hangout. I must say that the quality of hangout voice calls (paid option) is just exceptionally great. The video call is free and also nice too. You can archive important conversations as well as easily send an invite to your contact within hangout to adopt the software if they are not using it yet. The ability to have one-to-one or group conversations within Google Hangouts is an advantage that has endured it to me as it has helped my organization reduce spending on a previous collaboration software we hitherto used. The installation is easy and the software is lightweight and as such, hardly cause hanging. I recently was able to install the chrome extension of hangout to my chrome browser and can now reply to my message while on my computer without reaching for my phone. this has furthered made this software more appealing to me. I like the fact that the software is free on Gmail account and yet there are no ads in it

Cons

I miss the SMS functionality that was previously integrated into hangout and I still wonder why it was removed! For you to really enjoy Hangout, you require a very strong internet connection otherwise it becomes a real test of your patience. I also wish there was a way to reach your contact (maybe by assigning a hangout ID phone Number) so that you can call them when they are offline. You might want to avoid sharing very sensitive data with hangout as there is serious concern over the security of files shared with others within hangout. I also think the need to have a Gmail account in order to use hangout is not pleasant. It will be better if hangout can be designed to support a number of email service providers.

Emilio from Wormhole - Live Learning Platform

Industry: Information Services

Our default tool for working from home

Our company has a very flexible work-from-home policy, which means that most of our meetings occur with someone joining via Hangouts. It's usually a very good experience, we share screen and work very much like we were sitting side by side. It's especially useful for working on a shared Google document, both reading and editing at the same time. We also use it with clients, who are increasingly adopting Google suite as their corporative tool for emails and documents. We've grown so used to this way of remote collaborations that we cringe when asked to use Skype and get office documents attached to emails. I would definitely recommend Hangouts as a great tool for video meeting and collaboration, however I cannot vouch for it's performance with large quantity of attendants, we usually have no more than two or three people connecting remotely to Hangouts.

Pros

Simple, intuitive yet powerful. Simple chatting with co-workers has declined on Hangouts since we started using Slack, however, Hangouts remains our default tool for video calling and online conferencing. The best about it is that its easy to use, simply calling from the chat window, or, as we mostly use it, by creating a calendar event and joining from Hangouts. It usually works well, without delays, and we can screen share easily for remote co-working.

Cons

Its a bit connection intensive. If your connection is seeing a lot of use, then Hangouts might be a bit slow. We usually turn the camera off to save somw bandwidth, especially if we are screen sharing since we don't need to see each other anyway. Audio and shared screen is the usual way to work on Hangouts for us, and we do use it often. I'd say that over 80% of our company meetings have someone joining via Hangouts.

Aidan from McCracken Acting

Google Hangouts Analysis

Hangouts definitely has a lot of potential and the fact it can be downloaded on your phone is amazing because a lot of people have issues sending texts between Apple and Android devices. Perhaps, instead of having the hangouts extension open up a mini tab for hangouts, have it take you to the old official site instead? I liked the old site a lot better than the extension window that pops up. Overall, Hangouts is a great communications tool and should be used more than it is by the common person. Highly underrated.

Pros

For a computer communications piece of software, this feature is a very good addition to Google communications. I find it very helpful to be able to access google hangouts straight from your Gmail home screen, so you can see both emails and google chats at the same time. I also like how much quicker and easier it is to send messages that aren't very important and are not worth writing an actual email for. Another thing I loved was how when you linked a video from YouTube, the video title and thumbnail picture pop up as well. Very nice feature.

Cons

There are still a few flaws and setbacks when it comes to google hangouts. Sometimes when I try to copy and paste an image from another tab it won't load, or will just completely discard my image. I find this irritating when trying to send a co-worker an image for a presentation. Also, the hangouts extension available on the chrome web store needs some major work. You can't open it on some tabs, when you do get it to open it won't let you type or click on anything, and when I try to use the official site for google hangouts (not the Gmail inbox home screen) I can never seem to get to it and it won't load.

Kristin from The Reynolds and Reynolds Company

Easy and simple, few extras and few detractors

Integration is the key selling point for using Hangouts. I like that I can access it from anywhere, can talk to people seamlessly through multiple devices, and have search features at my disposal. Having the option to video chat and send multi-media messages is also nice (yay GIFs!). I have definitely told people they need to use it, especially if they have a gmail address. Overall, the good outweighs the bad and I think the bad is sure to be fixed.

Pros

My favorite thing about hangouts is being able to search for conversations I've had from my gmail inbox. Sometimes I will know I've talked about something but I can't remember if it was an email or a conversation, so it's nice to have everything in one place. The fact that it integrates with all the rest of Google's suite, of course.

Cons

The worst part is not being able to access pictures very easily. Other messengers, like imessage or whatsapp, for example, will collect all of the images where you can easily click on one and see everything in a conversation or click info or something like it to access all pictures at once. Hangouts has no such feature. Every time I want to look for an image in a conversation I have to google (ha) how to get to the weirdly-hidden archive folder in Google Photos. For such a common feature, it's sad that Hangouts doesn't have it. Additionally, the Chrome extension and desktop version don't play very nicely. If I have Chrome open (which I invariably do) and someone sent me a message on Hangouts, I would get two separate windows every single time. Both would light up when more messages came. That's a lot of noise and action for one single message. Also the desktop version never took away the "you should try the Chrome extension" message even though I had it. Eventually I uninstalled the extension so I'd stop having everything doubled.

Michael from Whitehall Central School District

Google Hangouts - The Best Soon-to-Be Discontinued Messenger

Google knows best. So it's killing* (arguably) a good service. I like Hangouts. I use it every day many times a day. My work messages come through hangouts. My personal messages come through hangsouts. They are on my phone, my tablet, my car, my computer. They are with me. Text? When my phone service is spotty, I don't get texts..... but I might have wifi. And my wifi get's hangouts! So, it's great, and it's going away in 2019(ish)

Pros

Hangouts, on your phone, in your mail, on your browser. It's everywhere. What killed the old traditional instant messengers (Aol, Yahoo, ICQ....), it might have been texting. But Hangouts was certainly one of the reasons. A cloud operated messaging service, that was right there, in the most modern ubiquitous web mail there is. It works, and it works well. Need to see your messages on your phone, it's there. On your browser, it's there. And all of your history (or at least your most recent messages).

Cons

Hangouts hasn't been touched by Google in some time, and has been slated to be discontinued, although migrated into another service. It's clients are sluggish. The web interface is okay... I find the history parts a bit annoying. Time stamps don't always show. Messages sometimes don't deliver to your phone, until you "wake" up the application (rarely)... Messages in your Gmail is handy, but the search feature sucks. I often cannot find messages I need in the history. As it's not the preferred client, there is no OU configuration for Hangouts in G-Suite. It's an all-or-nothing toggle, which forces people to use a client outside their mail (an alternate service entirely).

Amanda from Self-employed

Industry: Graphic Design

One of the best options for group calls and online chats

Hangouts gives a fast and efficient communication setup for its users, allowing them to contact clients, coworkers, and friends easily and efficiently, with very few drawbacks. It is one of my primary communication tools with coworkers, and I will probably keep using it as such for long into the future.

Pros

It is probably the easiest and most reliable online chat app, in both computers and cellphones. It allows you to make free calls to other hangouts users anywhere and at anytime, and with multiple recipients at the same time, which is great for conferences and also more informal calls between friends and family. It provides some great customization features regarding devices used, as well as video quality, which allows you to lower the quality of video sent and received in case that your internet speed is not high enough for HD conversations, which is a great feature to have under any circumstance. Hangouts also provides a service that allows you to call cellphones or landlines directly, even if they have no affiliation to hangouts, which is a great feature, especially for contacting family members who might not be as good with technology as the average person. Overall it is very practical, the menus are simple and easy to follow, and it only requires a google account to use, so it is very practical and easy to grasp for new users.

Cons

It has a few less options regarding videocalls than some other softwares. For example, it doesn't give you the option of setting up the cameras in group calls so that you can see all the callers equally, but rather prioritizes whoever is talking. This works well in organized discussions, but is not so great for more informal calls.

Mairina from Cibersys

The most optimal tool for personal and corporate communications.

The truth is that I have used many instant messaging tools, and this in particular is my favorite. I think it is very flexible and very well thought out for corporate environments where they can all be communicated in addition to the google suite. My experience with this multiplatform solution has been very good, particularly my agenda is always full of meetings and in most of the time I have some document to present, and what gives me more value is that you can archive the conversations and calls to keep them synchronized on the cloud. I recommend it to all users who wish to have communication under a platform that innovates every day.

Pros

What I like most about this powerful tool is its ease of use, with having a good internet connection you can make video calls from the comfort of your home or office. In particular, I make interactive presentations to clients through the Hangout. You can configure the quality of the call to optimize your resources, that is, if you do not need to make a video or present a document you can optimize your bandwidth in a single click from the tool.

Cons

What I liked the least, however does not take away the value of this tool is that in the update to Hangouts meet, you can not incorporate a person to the call, you must send the link to join it. However, the chat is maintained and the interface is much better with this update. There are some tips that I apply when I need to incorporate a contact to the audio, I make a group by hangout and from there I establish the video call and it shows me the old interface. I do not see it as a limitation, only that you are already accustomed to uniting a person at any time.

Wulliams from UCAB - Universidad Católica Andrés Bello

Excellent video conferencing is possible with this software

An efficient software, easy to use, with a very nice and effective interface. These are the ideas that come to mind at the time of qualifying this incredible software that has facilitated in a considerable way my labor and professional development.

Pros

Google has incorporated Hangouts into its services, a high-performance software, which has contributed significantly to my professional development at the University where I work. This software offers us interesting features that have boosted my work team, leaving behind the problems we had when our work team was not physically in the same space. Hangouts has allowed me to break the limitations of distance thanks to the development of videoconferences of very good quality and free, where you only need internet, a pc or an android phone to make them. This resource is very important because I can do field work and make daily reports by this comfortable software. Another interesting element for me and my work environment are the video calls and chat of this software, very simple to use and quite performance, which has allowed my work development to have better levels of productivity, reducing the delivery time of my products and cultural research, and in the theater, has allowed me to expose my works and productions offstage, taking my knowledge to other spaces and other latitudes.

Cons

This software has more positive elements to rescue than the negative ones, however, there is a problem that I have always seen of this software and is that you can not send multimedia documents. This factor is very important to me since I work a lot with photographs of cultural manifestations, theater presentations, production elements, makeup and costumes that I must photograph to send to add to my theatrical productions. I think Google should work on adding multimedia messages to their services.

Nairoby from CANTV

No Hangouts I do not work

Hangouts for me is essential in day to day

Pros

A work day begins, with the login of my Gmail account and this allows me to use the Chat tool to keep me connected with the outside world. When you work in an office and you can not use a telephone, the only tool that allows me talking to other people besides my co-workers is Hangouts, inside the things that I love this chat, is that I can block people with whom I do not want to talk, I can archive conversations, which is very useful when you used it to make work consultations with friends or colleagues, because, the important data I keep them in the conversations. For me, a great advantage is not showing the date of the last connection or since I write, It is transparent to the receiver if I am from my pc or from the mobile. With friends who are in other countries, the video calls are great and we can connect several people at the same time. Hangouts can be added as a browser extension and you appreciate if you have messages in a way discreet. You can keep conversations as pop-ups or integrated to mail.

Cons

With the previous version called Google Talk one could be placed as "Not available" and be connected similarly without being visible to contacts. Now with Hangouts it is not possible. There are workplaces in which, chat is restricted in internal networks, due to the use undue that is given, as to the time that people lose in a chat without performing the tasks that correspond, despite not being a disadvantage of the SW, should create something that allows be enabled despite any restrictions.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 10,341 reviews