(1,044)

1,044

Browse MATLAB Reviews

Redaet from University of Ottawa

Industry: Research

A must use in the biological world

I use Matlab personally to get quantitative data from micrscopy images. This allows me to report details in strucure and migration for cellular biology images. Although it's tricky when you first start using Matlab and it's counterparts, once you understand or look through the forums it's smooth sailing. Keep in mind if you plan on doing intensive analysis/calculations that's all possible with Matlab which has been extremly benefical for me but you will need a good computer. I find that some users play the software for lag/delays but Matlab is calculating such complex and small detailed analysis that the computer creates the delay in communication back to them. Overall without this program I would not have been able to 1)finish my Masters thesis and 2)provide support to my customers with my current job.

Pros

Matlab's additional plugins and programming abilities has helped with my research analysis incredibly. It's allowed me to measure details that have not been reported in the past and has allowed me to learn more about coding language. I used a plugin known as celltracker. When doing so I was able to launch and see the additional coding. This helped me customize other scripts I later created for my work because I was able to see the backbone scripts through matlab. It's a lot more user friendly than other softwares like Fiji or R but because the language is similar it made it for an easier transition for me personally.

Cons

If you're using matlab for graphing data I find that the coding and implementation of stylistics components a bit more complicated than say using Prism or R. Sometimes text background looks dated and trying to change it takes a lot longer than it should. A really nice feature is the 3D graphs that are produced through Matlab but sadly they are pretty hard to transfer to reports and publications unless you capture the graph at a specific angle or use a screen recording of turning the 3D graph for presentation purposes.

Reasons for Switching to MATLAB

I need more 3D graphs and migraiton based graphs which I couldn't get with the other softwares.

Eutimio from UNL

The best tool for learning numerical analysis

Matlab allowed me to perform several exercises regarding numerical analysis, some examples of the implementations performed in Matlab have been; Lagrange Method, Monty Hall Problem, Gauss-Jordan Elimination, Newton-Raphson method, Newton-Raphson method.

Pros

Matlab has many tools and libraries that allow the user to perform exercises based on numerical analysis.

Cons

It takes some time to understand how matlab works, something that is particularly difficult for new users who want to start using this tool, but with some practice and time this complication becomes less complicated.

Reasons for Switching to MATLAB

Matlab has more tools to be able to perform exercises easily.

Thuffail from Kevilton Electrical Products

Best for mathematical modelling

Annual and monthly data collected in businesses can be easily analyzed using this software. Machine learning can be used on available data to predict on future trends in market.

Pros

MATLAB is basically a coding software. The coding language is very easy to self learn. However a basic knowledge on mathematics and coding fundamentals is needed. Any person who is familiar in any computer language can grasp the techniques of using MATLAB. Therefore the codes can be debugged easily. This is a software that can be used in mathematical modelling for in engineering fields. In electrical engineering the software can be used to simulate control systems. It also can be used to do complex calculations that need many iterations. It facilitates the extraction of data from excel formats. Most data are stored in excels .Therefore mathematical analysis on data stored in excel can be easily done using this software. Therefore this is one of the best software for data visualization in a mathematical sense. Another advantage is the ability to use image processing and signal analysis tools for practical applications. These processing techniques can be performed on data by coding the fundamental methods of processing. This software can be used in building applications using graphical user interfaces.

Cons

The software can be used for analysis of large data sets .However the time to process or run codes involving large data sets may take few minutes. As a result more powerful computers with improved process speed should be used in some cases to get results from the software. The interface has not been improved in improved versions. The interface can be made more user friendly. Though debugging is comparatively is easy when considering other computer languages, it will be better if it can be further improved.

Mostafa from Egyptian electricity transmission company

Matlab is such a great tool for all engineers

A very great experience I recommend it to anyone who deal with engineering and of course curious people

Pros

Great tool for analyzing, sorting, and simulating data. easy to understand and to learn it. In addition, it helps in plots and graphs and simulation scenarios I hope to see it applicable for smart phone as small app

Cons

Great library Easy to learn Easy to use Reliable Great accuracy

Reasons for Choosing MATLAB

I found myself in love with matlab, it helped me alot it's not hard software to be learning Such a great library for every thing Easy to learn and very reliable and it is accuracy is not comparable.

Orlando from UTP

Industry: Biotechnology

The go to

Pros

This is the most widely known software in it's category, and for a good reason. It is so powerful and has so many different applications that I will be using it for a complete fluid and bio-growth simulation for my masters thesis.

Cons

It is very expensive. Affordable if the organization you're working at is able to purchase licenses, but if you're a single user it does become expensive.

Reasons for Switching to MATLAB

I was given the opportunity to use Matlab by my organization

Alessandro from Politecnico di Torino

December 2021

One software for everything there is

This is a monster software, full of basic functions and useful packages. If you're an engineer or are studying to become one, you've almost certainly heard of it at least once. I've used it to simulate complex systems, to solve partial differential equations, linear systems and non linear equations. I've used it for simple coding purpose and a lot more.

Pros

This software is incredibly full of features of every kind... I've used it for some time now, as I'm an engineer student, but I may have not used even a 100th of it's full potential. Matlab is not a simple programming language: it's a complex environment with tons of integrations. You can write some simple code, ok (and by the way if you're familiar with some other basic programming codes, you'll get easily used to it); it's designed to solve primarily linear algebraic systems, but you can also solve partial differential equations, evaluate frequency response functions... if you use the Simulink package, even non linear equations in block diagrams can be solved! Talking about Simulink, which is one of the packages I use more frequently, you can get to study (real) or simulate (yet to be built) very complex systems in a short time thanks to the fact that there are tons of ready to use subsystems (like, just for the purpose of citing one, a DC motor). As I mentioned, there are many useful integrations but, depending on what you need to do, you wouldn't necessarily need them... for instance using Matlab, some mates of mine from Student Team I'm part of, have developed an algorithm to evaluate the experimental drag coefficient of our prototypes. One more important thing to cite is the documentation: you don't know something, you're gonna learn it in no time. There is an extended documentation for every command and the software is very well supported by a large community.

Cons

Concerning the price... since I'm a student and, thanks to the welfare politics of my university I have free access to the software, but I've heard that some packages could cost a bit. Anyway this is really one of the most difficult things for me to review... I think you should evaluate for yourself if it's worth the price by downloading the 30 days free trial. Except for this I can't say that I've really found anything wrong with the program.

Emir from Citi

Interactive and efficient product

Matlab is a simple and efficient tool that provides us with interactive features to easily construct machine learning and predictive models, deploy multiple models to enterprise IT systems, and access and preprocess data easily. We are using Matlab's comprehensive range of tools to conduct a variety of machine learning tasks, such as connecting to and importing data, quickly and easily. Matlab code can be generated by apps, allowing us to automate processes.

Pros

Matlab contains a user-friendly library that allows users to master the software in a short amount of time. Writing code is easier with our style, model training functions include hyperparameter optimization, which allows us to quickly determine the optimal parameters to tweak our model. Matlab is excellent in assisting me in creating files that I can share with anyone, wherever. It allows me to build a script and then share it with others so that they may open it in Notepad on their Mac or PC. The Matlab help system is excellent as they respond fast and solve their customer's issues. We'll discover pretty much every feature we'll ever need in the instructions.

Cons

For new users, the application is not very intuitive. It's considerably easier once we've gotten acquainted with the software, but it's difficult to just pick it up and start using Matlab. We can't write a lot of in-depth code with Matlab because it's more of a mathematics and engineering aid package.

The "Photoshop" of data processing

We did a lot of engineering with matlab, and we still fire it up whenever there's some calculi to do. Data visualization / analysis / simulation / forecast can be done with many softwares, but who's the one where you can do it all and then more, in the same package and language? Matlab.

Pros

MATLAB is the swiss pocket knife for data processing, is does almost everything and you can program it to do almost everything you need. It does a lot out of the box, and by it very nature is expandable and programmable to do any math, engineering, data, whatever.

Cons

Online resources might be a bit outdated and refer to past matlab versions, and installing/uninstalling modules might be a bit clunky sometimes.

Reasons for Choosing MATLAB

We also use Octave, but mainly to run stuff written in Octave.

Dikshant from Iowa State University

December 2021

Excellent computational software. Need to improve the MATLAB app designer environment.

Pros

I use MATLAB everyday for data processing and visualization. Everything is smooth and very easy with MATLAB.

Cons

I used MATLAB app designer for developing an application. It’s very slow for multi page applications. This should be looked into.

Heetak from Indian Institute of Technology Bombay

Review for MATLAB for education

Pros

The software is really great, it is well built, the documentation is good.

Cons

Not very good for non mathematical-simulations

Mariana from IPN

Industry: Medical Devices

Perfect for a Biomedical Engineering Student

Currently, MATLAB has been working perfectly for me, this software has lots of applications, it can be used for beginners and for more specialized applications. I highly recommend MATLAB.

Pros

MATLAB is excellent for engineering students because it’s easy to learn, there are lots of tutorials on the Mathworks page that you can use, as a beginner, another programming language can be overwhelming but that’s not the case when using MATLAB, the environment is very interactive and easy to learn, it´s perfect for analyzing data, image processing, signal processing, neural networks, dynamic graphs. The built-in functions are very helpful, and the function help gives you a quick explanation of how to use the built-in function, which is perfect, so you do not have to memorize everything. Another feature that I really love is the add-ons, MATLAB has lots of add-ons and toolboxes that you can install and use, personally the toolboxes for Arduino, Solidworks, Simscape, Robotics System Toolbox, and the Statistics and Machine Learning Toolbox are my favorites and the ones that I use the most. Lately, I have been using MATLAB to export excel sheets and do some data analyzing, it would take hours in excel but I just spend a couple of hours to make a code and I run it and analyze new data, in addition, you can use the GUIDE to make a program for everyone to use. Also, Simulink is a very powerful tool that MATLAB offer us, personally I have used Simulink to simulate dynamic systems and the environment was easy and intuitive, I am very satisfied whit Simulink.

Cons

The only thing that I would not recommend when using MATLAB, connecting Arduino to read and graph voltage values, the data acquisition rate is just not good enough to get a graph as if you were using Arduino. If you want to store data and later do analysis it would work fine.

Catherine from N/A

Easy to use, Excellent documentation but Expensive Tool

If you are student, I would recommend that if you are interested in using this software, take note if your institution has a license to it and if you can get access to it that way. I would also recommend you identify what you expect to do with it and if you have the capabilities of running it. I would primarily recommend this to professionals with decent computing power available to them and with large datasets to analyze and visualize. Overall, I found that it was very easy to use and the documentation was easy to understand (even for a newbie like me).

Pros

Downloading and Installing Matlab was easy and simple. It was also quite easy to get started even as some one who was learning it as one of my first coding platforms. It is a platform that is heavily focused on data analysis and computing so this platform is NOT for developers or people looking to create an end-user product. I would recommend it for anyone with large datasets that can be represented or comprises of numbers. The documentation and community forum were excellent and often contained really helpful tools. The were a robust community file exchange that was amazing for finding code for specific tasks. Overall it was very easy to debug and learn thanks to the amount of great resources for it.

Cons

The greatest disadvantage of this software is probably the cost. Buying an individual license for the software is expensive and I would recommend that if this seems like the coding platform for you, you should check if your company or institution already has a access to it. It should also be noted that whilst the software has run on all of the computers I've installed it on, the wait time for it to load and allow you to get started can get quite long. The computing resources required to run it (depending on your needs) can also be prohibitively be large and since it is a propriety program there were no readily available cloud computing services that I could sign up to, to offload the computing. Short of renting server space and running a virtual machine, there were nothing like google colab for python for Matlab for example. The size of the program can also balloon in size if you download and install the add-on toolboxes without considering if you really need it or not.

Reasons for Switching to MATLAB

I switched to Python as it could do a lot of what Matlab was doing for me. With the added benefit of being more generalized and required less resources to run.

MATLAB, One Solution to all Engineering and Mathematical problems.

My overall experience with MATLAB is so good. It has so many good points that If I would highlight each and every point so the maximum word limit would cross So in a nutshell If someone wants one solution to all Engineering and Mathematical problem he/she should must try and install this software to feel the peace in life as you don't need to have so many software for different tasks to perform, MATLAB is there to help you in all fields.

Pros

When I just entered University, In the very first semester I was introduced to this software by my instructor. Initially, I learnt to apply basic mathematical formulas like taking derivatives, solving matrices etc but then almost in each semester I used this software in one way or another that's why I used to call MATLAB, one solution to all Engineering and Mathematical problems. We can solve all kind of mathematical problems either integration, differentiation etc on MATLAB. It also provides its user to simulate electrical, mechanical etc system on it. This software is verified and because of its high quality, we can simulate our designed projects on it and once that design project provides the desired output on MATLAB, then that projects implementation on hardware and the output will not deviate from the outputs we have gotten on MATLAB that's why often students use MATLAB for their final year projects. Besides, its other features it also provides the GUI functionality which I have incorporated in several projects. The mathematical techniques like Fourier series and Laplace transform etc, MATLAB provides the ease to implement it and get the infinite plotted results and better interpret the results by visualizing the data, not only two dimensional but also three-dimensional graphs can also be plotted on MATLAB. Above all, it provides the facility of coding and producing the desired result. So I said rightly it is one Solution to all Engineering and Mathematical Problems.

Cons

Overall the performance of MATLAB is quite good, it user friendly but the only problem which I have encountered is the installation process. As it is a bulky software so its installation requires approximately two to three hours of yours and have to follow the guideline which is provided in the software as in read me files etc. to easily install this software so this is the main task. Once You have Installed the software now you are good to go to enjoy its immense features.

khoubeib from Politecnico Di milano

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Matlab use Review

i'm satistified in the overall experience but i would appreciate that they add some tools to make it more intuitive and easy to use especially for understanding what the problem are and where are they exactly, also their types more intuitive and precise .

Pros

it is a easy use product that you cant use almsot for porjects with teams and it is helping a lot in doing work in distance, we even did exams using this tool so i recommand so much.

Cons

i don't like just one thing about it, it is in the use command interactive menu, for example, there is a lot of tools that we can't use, it's not so intuitive sometimes and most of the time there is some problems to understand what the problem is exactly when you have a code error.

Reasons for Choosing MATLAB

Because it is helpful for distance work with teams when we can't be all present physically we can manipulate our code files from our sides and then get the overall code.

Reasons for Switching to MATLAB

for some projects, python could be more easy to use and having more options and tool that Matlab don't have them or where you can find them in a harder way.

Caleb from University of Nebraska–Lincoln

Industry: Research

High quality, but not an automatic buy

MATLAB is a high quality and generally valuable for computational science and engineering. Nevertheless, it is sometimes hard to get MATLAB to do exactly what you need, due to missing features or a confusing programming interface. In the latter connection, its programming interface is sub-par relative to languages like Python and C++. Large organizations with wide-ranging and intensive computational needs may find it well worth the price. For small organizations, however, I don't think it is an automatic buy -- probably worth giving serious consideration to cheaper or open-source tools first.

Pros

MATLAB has a wide range of tools and capabilities that are valuable to computational scientists. Many features are general purpose (e.g., standard linear algebra routines, data processing tools, interfacing with other programming languages) and can be adapted to a variety of use cases. So I feel that one can count on it remaining useful even if an organization's computing needs change over time. It is a standard tool and widely used, so one can count on its reliability and portability. Due to its large userbase, it is also easy to find documentation and help information online (beyond MATLAB's own documentation).

Cons

I find the MATLAB programming language nonintuitive. Some features seem to be optimized for command line execution, i.e. statement-by-statement, and not for writing longer scripts and external dependencies. Someone accustomed to standard object-oriented programming (C++ as an example) may be frustrated programming with MATLAB. Their graphing and plotting is not bad, but it is does lack some desirable features. It has happened several times that I wanted to configure graphical output in a particular way, and MATLAB simply lacked the capability. So if graphical visualization is extremely important to your use case, I would recommend leaving room in your budget for a separate graphics software.

Ashkan from The Ohio State University

Industry: Civil Engineering

Essential for research

I am a research assistant and I use MATLAB for different purposes. In fact, I have used MATLAB extensively for the last 4 years. MATLAB is one of the pioneers in mathematical programming, and one of the first things every engineer needs to learn. Researchers all over the world use MATLAB to solve mathematically complex problems and publish journal articles every day. Like any other programming language, there is a learning curve for MATLAB, but as someone who has tried different programming languages, I believe that MATLAB is one of the easiest yet most powerful coding languages. The great experience of the MathWorks team has made MATLAB almost perfect; however, as recently other programming languages are getting more popular, MATLAB needs to catch up with them.

Pros

MATLAB has a long list of useful commands. With these commands, one can edit text, solve complicated math problems, process images, and many more applications. Basically, any problem that is in some way related to numbers can be implemented in MATLAB. There are several useful built-in apps and toolboxes, such as signal processing, machine learning, optimization, etc. These built-in toolboxes are very handy and easy to use. MATLAB has one of the most comprehensive and helpful documentation I have ever seen. For any command available in MATLAB, you can find at least one example that shows every aspect of using that command. Even if you cannot find the answer to any of your issues, there are many people on the internet that can help you. As MATLAB has been around for a long time, there is a great community of MATLAB users all over the world. MathWorks has provided an official forum and it is called MATLAB central. In this platform, users can ask their questions and problems and they can share codes in the “File Exchange” section. It is almost impossible to face an issue and not finding the answer in MATLAB central. One of the good points about using MATLAB is that it frequently gets updated. These updates do not change the way user interacts with the software, and that is another positive point, because after all these years I am used to the user interface.

Cons

One of the downsides of MATLAB compared to other available coding platforms is its outdated code editor. There are many features that can be added to the editor section, such as the column text editor, and different themes. I personally love my workspace to be dark, and one of the first things I try to change in every programming platform is its theme. Although there are some personalization options available, they are far from being perfect and customizable. Collaboration or sharing the codes with other users seems to be a must nowadays, as most of the programming platforms provide this feature. Additionally, I believe the loading time of MATLAB should be improved.

Gianetan from Punjabi University, Guru Kashi Campus, Talwandi Sabo

The Harbinger of Engineering Research

MATLAB has been at the centerstage of our academic activities in general and research in particular. It has helped in solving research problems in the area of image processing. Medical diagnosis of various diseases, object recognition and character recognition are some specific areas in which MATLAB has been really useful. Now I am also researching in the area of data science. I have found it to be surprisingly and pleasantly useful in this area although people are making use of Python and its libraries and R for this purpose.

Pros

The abstraction of best of the cutting edge techniques scaled down to function level makes it powerhouse of research in the field of science and engineering. Input of data in the form of matrices make it intuitive to use and visualization of data makes it an extension of your own mind. It doesn't take much time before it gets you working with the lifeless data transforming it useful insights.

Cons

The black box approach of using functions wherein you are aware what the input and output of function is but not its source code is a double edge sword. Whereas it makes it easy to use the function per se but it also makes it difficult to customize software. The source code of the commonly used functions should be available.

Reasons for Choosing MATLAB

MATLAB and Simulink has wider reach as far as science and engineering research is concerned as compared to Wolfram Mathematica. The use of matrices and provision of relevant toolboxes makes MATLAB a programmer's delight. MATLAB has a huge following which contributes tremendous amount of knowledge on various forums such as Github and Quora. If you aim some of the best universities one can be confident it shall find a vast acceptance among the teacher community.

Surendrika from University of Jaffna

MATLAB for complex maths

I have used MATLAB for three years. In those years I have learned about MATLAB as well as I used it to solve so many mathematical problems. It is reliable, fast and also easy to use. The majority of engineering students as well as scientist are using MATLAB to achieve their purposes. But the person, who is going to use MATLAB to achieve his purposes, should have a proper knowledge about MATLAB. If someone uses MATLAB for solving very easy mathematical problems, I think it is unnecessary thing. According to my knowledge I think we should have proper understanding on that language to get more benefits.

Pros

As we all know, we use so many programing languages like c, java, MATLAB, HTML to communicate instructions to a machine. When we consider about benefits of MATLAB, it is very faster as well as comprehensive. Engineering students most probably use MATLAB for solving complex mathematical problems. But this language is also very familiar among scientist because it also eases their works. MATLAB provides helps to user for facilitating their tasks. It has so many syntax and keywords for different mathematical purposes. It gives us a chance to create functions as our needs. Therefore we can make functions to solve problems depending on our mathematical problems. MATLAB can be used as a calculator and it is very reliable. So the point of my view, as a person who is using MATLAB, I think it is very essential for engineering students.

Cons

Though MATLAB is very essential to engineering and other students when solving mathematical problems there are some difficulties with it. It has great number of keywords for arithmetic. So it is difficult to memories all those keywords when solving problems. And if we get an error in our code I think it is somewhat difficult to debug. And the other thing is the time it takes to give us the answer. MATLAB is an interpreted language, so that it is slower than a compiled language. It means MATLAB takes some time to give us the answer. We have to wait for the answer. It cannot be bought freely and also people should have knowledge about MATLAB before it use otherwise it is not easy to work with this language.

Supun from University of Jaffna

MATLAB - Matrix Laboratory

I recommend MATLAB if you handle heavy mathematical problems in your career. Otherwise it is not needed for a person who handles complex mathematical problems rarely because of the high cost. This software is especially suitable for engineers, scientists and mathematicians. Since MATLAB is fast, powerful and accurate software, those people can ease their work using MATLAB. MATLAB can be highly recommended for the data analysis purposes because the software gives out very accurate output for the processed raw data. MATLAB is a great tool for the commercial use, but not for the personal use.

Pros

MATLAB is a programming language specially designed for mathematical works. From this software we can interact with complex mathematical problems such as matrix problems, functions, data analysis, plotting graphs, signal processing and much more complex engineering and scientific problems. Lots of mathematical functions are built-in with MATLAB. They can be use directly to solve our problems as our need. If the needed function is not available built-in, we can create one and save it for future use. Special keyword called “help” is designed in MATLAB to find the meaning of unknown keywords and how to use that keyword (i.e. If we want to find the meaning of keyword det, help det shows the meaning of keyword det and what can we done using this keyword. Also it shows how to use this keyword in MATLAB). There is a mobile application developed for MATLAB. We can solve some of the mathematical operations that are not much complex with the use of mobile application also. This option helped me a lot when the PC or laptop is not with me. Another advantage of MATLAB is the advanced user interface comes with software that eases the process of coding and debugging.

Cons

Since MATLAB is used to compute complex mathematical operations, there are many functions, keywords and syntaxes are used in MATLAB. Therefore it is difficult to remember all these functions, keywords and syntaxes in our mind. Much time is required for the installation process of the software even in a high end computer. Same issue happens when executing the program also. We have to wait some time until the MATLAB is loaded before working on it. Also it uses higher amount of RAM. Because of this we cannot run MATLAB smoothly in a low end computer. Since MATLAB is mathematic related software it cannot be used as general purpose programming language. MATLAB is commercial software and the cost for the software also very high. Therefore it is not worthy if we buy it without a proper knowledge on MATLAB and how to get the maximum output from the software.

Muhammad from Transnet

Matlab: The multi-paradigm computing software tool

Matlab is an extremely powerful system modelling tool and development environment. Students and professionals that work in the engineering and science backgrounds will find this software invaluable.

Pros

The software allows users to perform complex computations (linear algebra, differential equations, integration transforms etc), system modelling, and develop programmed algorithms that can be executed and simulated. I used this software from my undergraduate days, whilst studying electronic engineering, to compute state space models of control systems and visually analyse control loops from their transfer functions using Matlab's programming script feature and graphing capabilities. I also used it to quickly develop, simulate (using the Simulink toolbox add-on), graphically observe and fine tune the performance of a PID controller which was much easier and quicker than manually calculating and plotting the solutions. Numerous mathematical processes that usually require multiple steps can be executed by a single prebuilt command on Matlab, e.g the [x , y] = cart2pol(theta, r) command converts Cartesian co-ordinates into polar co-ordinates; this greatly simplifies the programming and mathematical input required by the user. Since its latest update (R2019a), Matlab is fully capable of developing, simulating and training deep neural networks, autonomous systems and a lot more.

Cons

Due to its extensive capabilities, this software can be complicated and over whelming for first time users. The complexity also inflates the memory requirements of the software. The syntax, notation and structure to input commands requires some time to get used to. Sometimes, when trying to achieve certain calculations, it leads to error messages that require some time to understand and correct. In fact, users need to understand the basic rules of linear algebra first (matrix multiplication, addition etc) in order to perform calculations because this program treats all numerical inputs as vectors/matrices. Users will also need to have some programming capabilities in order to fully utilize the computational capabilities of this software, which is similar in structure to C programming, using the propriety programming language that is developed by MathWorks.

Chiranjib from Nokia Bell Labs

Essential for Engineers

I started with matlab from my undergrad days and still use it on daily basis for simulations and numerical analysis in my research work. Many industries (like the cellular network industry) heavily rely on Matlab for system level simulations. In my opinion, translating a pseudo code of any given algorithm to a working program is very easy in Matlab.

Pros

Matlab is an essential scientific computing environment. It is a must have for all students studying science and engineering. The pros are-- 1. Easy manipulation of matrices. This is actually the main power of matlab. 2. Very intuitive way of writing program with no hassle of bookkeeping about data types, memory management, variable declarations etc which are essential for other programming languages. 3. Debugging tool is very easy to use. 4. One best feature is the GUI window for managing figures. A user can switch between the gui and the underlying code for generating any figures. This unique feature is absent in many of the advanced programming languages (like python or R, at least in the basic setup!)

Cons

The main problem is that it is not free. While the other open source languages have caught up Matlab in terms of ease of usage and availability of packages, Matlab is suffering due to its proprietary nature. A standard distribution of Matlab comes with a set of packages. For the other packages, one has to pay Mathworks for getting access. On the other hand, in Python or R, there are multiple packages available online and everything is free to use. After the recent boom in AI and machine learning, almost everyone has shifted to python to use the popular open source libraries released by several sources. Matlab being a proprietary software is failing to catch up to this fast evolving open source world!

Asad from COMSATS UNIVERSITY

About working of matlab

I would state I've been utilizing MATLAB reliably for around 3 years, since my first year in doctoral level college. In undergrad, I may have utilized it a couple of times for a homework set. I say "I may have" in light of the fact that I don't exactly recollect that anything about it aside from that I had an establishment circle. My involvement in programming before MATLAB was some BASIC from youth and a smidgen of Pascal from a few courses in undergrad. My alumni counsel was an overwhelming MATLAB client, and my underlying knowledge with it included disentangling his MATLAB code for doing a few plots. In the meantime, I was taking a controls course which expected me to learn Simulink.

Pros

I esteem MATLAB. It is so smart and easy to make programming to do what you require. It has amazing exploring and profiling devices. It is cross stage, making code easy to share (expecting alternate people have forked out for the not by any stretch of the imagination unobtrusive allow). It has interfaces to other programming. In any case, there are a couple of things about it that chafe me. I'd get a kick out of the opportunity to get warning from different people what things aggravate them about MATLAB.

Cons

Supplanting subsref and subsasgn in a class is greatly awkward. The issue is this. Expect you override subsref with the true objective to change lead of obj(...). By then your subsref is moreover required the dialect structure obj.propname. With the objective for it to manage this viably (i.e. carry on the proportional as the intrinsic subsref) it needs to reimplement all of the checks for access confirmations that are normally done by the system. For precisely how precarious this is, see our rep's answer for my request here. Beside this genuine inconvenience, it's furthermore inefficient for each subsref to need to switch on the requesting type ('.', '()', or '{}') on each call, and for the system to need to collect a struct that joins the requesting type and furthermore the rundowns. To the degree I can see, it would be so much better if the various requesting accentuations called three unmistakable procedures.

Carlos from Universidad de Oriente

It is an excellent dynamic software to make programs and graphs of simple and complex calculations.

the benefits with matlab has been very satisfactory because through this software I managed to perform four regression programs: Linear Regression (least squares methods), Nonlinear Regression (Newton and Rhapson, Ascending Steps and Marquart). This program served to present the work of promotion in the university, which consisted in taking the data of a researcher on the behavior of the size of the fish with respect to the time and to estimate the parameters of the mathematical model exponential of Von Bertalaffi to find the mathematical expression that calculates the length of a fish. The program made three functional representations: the analytical, the tabular and the graphical. With this program I was able to manipulate the data, change colors, thicknesses of the lines, place the main title and title to the axes, in addition, the results could be exported to the word processor for the final report. This program has also provided me with tools for teaching calculus with analytical geometry (subject of functions), differential and integral calculus, with the possibility of manipulating the results and visualizing their changes when changes are made in the functional analytical representation. With this strategy the student has a greater possibility to reflect on the representations of the functions and their results. When I had difficulties to perform a complex calculation or use advanced programs I was supported by the documentation included in the help window, where there is a great variety of programming examples and software commands.

Pros

It is a language of high level of technical computing that facilitates simple and complex numerical calculations, which also allows the graphic visualization in 3D and 2D of them. It has a wide application in scientific studies. Integrates numerical analysis and matrix calculation where problems are expressed in the same way. It has specialized programs called toolboxes highlighting in the area of teaching basic mathematics, financial mathematics, statistics, simulation of dynamic systems, among others. It is an ideal software to develop advanced control systems in the engineering area. Allows the control of fonts, Greek letters, symbols, subscripts and superscripts. Make presentations with animation, with supports of colors as it is desired by the user. It allows you to make impressions both of the created program, the calculation made, of the 2D and 3D graphics, results table. It allows to export and import images, graphs, tables and mathematical expressions. You can enter and extract data from the fmatlab quickly. It has a wide range of linear algebra functions, specialized mathematical functions, logical and arithmetic operators, elementary matrices and vector manipulation, special matrices, basic statistics and data analysis, polynomials and interpolation. It has a help folder for software operation through a manual that allows it to be used by all types of beginner users or not.

Cons

The software despite having a documentation of its commands: description, characteristics and access, it is necessary for the user to understand that to create a program and can be manipulated: change data, formulas, presentation of results, fix badly scheduled lines , you must first execute the tutorm command to save the file where you want it, and then return to the saved file and execute other commands, this process requires a lot of practice and for some users it is complicated, therefore they stop using it. have extensive knowledge of the integrals and their methods to solve.

Atanu Kumar from Purdue University

A Simple yet Powerful Computational Tool

I have been using MATLAB for last 10-12 years. It is my day to day computational companion. I have been implemented several numerical solvers for complex equations and algorithms in MATLAB. Starting from simple calculations to very complex solvers, built-in MATLAB functions are always a plus point when compared to other coding platforms, such as C, C++, C sharp, etc. I also have used MATLAB for plotting scientific and statistical data for publication. It does a great job of doing what it is supposed to do.

Pros

Matlab is a versatile computational tool for a diverse field of physical, mathematical, and social sciences. The most important features of MATLAB are the simple user-friendly interface, tons of library functions, and a significant amount of examples. Starting from data visualization, numerical calculation/computation to solving machine learning algorithms, this software provides a very easy to follow documentation. Writing code in MATLAB is extremely easy and well guided. Visualization tools are extremely handy. Moreover, there are several toolboxes which can be helpful for different engineering application.

Cons

Sometimes the software can become very slow in performance. Depending on the configuration of the computer, it can take up to a minute to complete the initialization. Even though MATLAB supports parallel computation, the pulling of the parallel nodes may be time-consuming, therefore, not very useful for medium load computations. Sometimes the newer version may not support the library functions from the older version and it can cause unnecessary waste of time.

Alejandro Daniel from Xavia IOT

MATLAB is the solution to make quickly and powerful programs.

Pros

MATLAB is a very complete suite to make programs using a simple language and with an very intuitive workspace. Although is simple, it's very powerful, and have a lot of toolboxes that you can install for specifics themes, like electronic theory, image processing, digital systems, etc. You can also create Graphic User Interfaces whit the wizard that MATLAB has. This is simple because you don't have to manipulate graphic libraries, and you don't have problems if you change your platform, I mean, you can start a program in OS X and you can open it in a Windows environment. If you have a little knowledge of C/C++/Java, you can start using MATLAB and write simple programs just with open the app. Also it has powerful complements like SIMULINK, where you can study the response of electrical circuits by drawing them with boxes and lines, very intuitive.

Cons

I work a lot by making Graphic User Interfaces, because the independence of any graphic library, but I dislike that when the GUI started to grow up and have a lot of things inside, MATLAB start to work slowly and sometimes, you have to reboot the program. Also I work a lot with microprocessors, programming in C/C++, and when I have to return to MATLAB, I need to "translate" the C/C++ codes to MATLAB code. Another thing that I dislike is that you only can have one function per file. I mean, you can't make a library all in one file, and if you have a big project, you have to have a lot of different files and the size of it start to grow quickly.

Jonathan from JARB

Industry: Civil Engineering

Matlab, an alternative for programming and calculation

According to my experience with the software, I can say that it is the most complete with respect to other similar software. The implementation of this software can be a bit tedious for companies, but for what it offers it is very cost effective. The advantages for calculation and scheduling are fantastic, however the sophisticated language of the software makes it somewhat difficult to use. On the other hand, it is an effective tool for engineers and all types of professionals related to calculation and programming.

Pros

What I liked most about this software was that it gives you different tools to design mathematical models, graph all kinds of data and program with algorithms, from the simplest to the most sophisticated. Besides, in my student life, it has been very useful to solve different types of calculation problems. In my opinion, the flexible language of this software allows professionals to express their calculations and programming in an efficient way. A positive point is the easy implementation in any type of company. Finally, the wide variety of tools that the software has, allows you to model control systems, analyze data and process different prototypes.

Cons

What I liked least about this software is how difficult it is to program for inexperienced users. Learning the programming language of this software can be a bit sophisticated at first. Also, the results obtained when performing simulations can be difficult to understand. Another negative point is the large amount of resources that the software needs for proper operation.

Aniket from Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology - Delhi

Matlab: Making Programming Easier

I had to switch to Matlab when I had to design machine learning pipelines quickly and had to deploy them as well. Matlab was very easy to setup, with just one installer doing the heavy lifting to install all the necessary packages and everything. The drag+drop interface is easy to use and understand, and helps in designing the pipelines quickly and efficiently. Matlab also runs faster, making efficient use of the GPU, which all in all is very easy as compared to it's alternatives.

Pros

Toolboxes. There are a lot of toolboxes for each different type of research domain, be it signals, image processing, machine learning, audio and what not. Each tool box is packed with a feature rich library of inbuilt functions for processing and analyzing data. Furthermore, using them is very easy with their drag+drop interface.

Cons

The user interface. I know that Mathworks is working continuously working on the UI, but it is still not at par with the current generation. The IDE looks very outdated with limited configuration. This gives it a whole outdated feel and makes very uncomfortable to use.

Reasons for Switching to MATLAB

We were using Tensorflow with Python. It is a more powerful library for Machine Learning as compared to Matlab, but using it is a mess and needs a different level of expertise. On the other hand, Matlab has a simplistic interface which one could learn easily by using it once.

Stuart from RDM Group Ltd.

Very powerful, very expensive computing tool suite

MATLAB is an extremely powerful data analysis tool; we have used it for visualising data both in real time and after the fact to find trends and isolate faults. The automotive toolkits are high quality; in particular the CAN bus support easy manipulation of CAN bus data for producing graphs and test rigs for components and systems.

Pros

If you can do it in software, you can probably do it with MATLAB! It has a vast range of functions from simple matrix manipulation (its namesake) to computer vision algorithms for autonomous driving. The MATLAB language has a simple syntax which is easy to learn, and code be executed one line at a time while testing and experimenting, or can be run automatically as a script. The debugger is also very good. It is fairly straightforward to produce functional GUIs which make a project appear professional and easy to use, important when distributing code to to coworkers or customers. Documentation is excellent, both within the MATLAB and online.

Cons

In recent years the addition of more and more features has started to take its toll on the overall responsiveness of the software; MATLAB no longer starts up as quickly as it used to and general clicking through menus and UI is more sluggish than in the past. Due to its ease-of-use there is a degree of abstraction in the language which slow execution; once a software module has been written and tested in MATLAB it is common to port it to C or C++ to improve performance. No MATLAB review would be complete without a complaint about the cost; especially if one has some use case, such as embedded code generation using Simulink, which requires several additional toolboxes on top of base MATLAB. The per-seat license cost can easily reach tens of thousands, which can be a tough sell in a world filled with excellent free and open source alternatives.

Pablo from Everis

My own experience using Matlab

My general experience with Matlab is good, since it is a very good programming language for developers who have not programmed much, and also, for Engineering, it is the best. The part that I do not like, is the real use in the working life that Matlab has. They should encourage or try to make companies use more Matlab to get their results.

Pros

Thanks to Matlab I have been able to develop my projects over 5 years in the university. In my studies, all the programming was done in Matlab. With Matlab I have been able to develop complex codes very easily, since this Software is really easy to use, and its language is very similar to that used in Python, for example. It is a kind of language that is very easy to understand. In addition to this, Matlab allows you to make "plots" to graphically see the value of our variables or graphs. In my particular case, it was really necessary and very good, to be able to get a 2D or 3D graphic representation on the screen where to see, for example, an electrical signal. For the treatment of signals and images, from my point of view, Matlab is the best software to use.

Cons

The worst thing about Matlab, without a doubt, is the lack of projects or work in the workplace. This means that, in comparison with other programming languages ​​or other technologies, in Spain, Matlab is very little used, to say nothing. This is a pity, since the tool is good, but there are no job opportunities to develop with Matlab, which causes less use of the tool for lack of customers who use it. On the other hand, the license is extremely expensive for the free features that you can get in other programs. From my point of view, they should be able to give the option of a free, limited version. This will greatly encourage its use in the community and in future ones.

Thomas from Université de Yaoundé II

Powerful tool for econometric analysis of panel data!

Matlab software is a powerful and essential tool for econometric analysis. Long used by mathematicians and physicists for simulation calculations, spherical graphs on a plane with more than two dimensions, etc., we currently use it for cross-sectional, time series and especially panel data analysis. Thanks to its functionality of being easily exploitable through scripting, we are able to estimate non-linear economic models (Panel Smoth Threshold Regression: PSTR, Generalized Method of Moments : GMM) and linear models (Least Square Model : LSM, Fixed Effects Model : FEM, Random Effects Model : REM, etc.).

Pros

Matlab is a totally free software to write any type of scripts concerning any type of data estimation models and therefore allows to estimate non-linear econometric models such as PSTR, GMM and linear ones (Fixed Effects Model or the Random Effects Model, OLS, etc.). It also allows you to produce the most optimal and well-designed graphs that few other statistical software can do. On the other hand, it has a better quality-price ratio.

Cons

As disadvantages, the software is too heavy because it occupies a lot of space during its installation (takes about 15,3Gb on the C disk) and can therefore lead to a slowdown of the functionalities of computers with low characteristics (RAM less than 2Gb, processor less than 2.00). It also appears relatively expensive compared to statistical analysis software of lower quality.

Excellent programming software for engineering applications

I have been using Matlab since starting my undergrad, and now through graduate school. The more you use it, the more you realize how powerful of a computational tool it can be.

Pros

Provides a powerful tool for engineers (students or professionals) to solve complex numerical problems. The programming language is based on C, and makes it easy to pick up for those already used to programming, and does not have too steep of a learning curve for students just learning to code. Though, It is definitely recommended to learn Matlab through a course, as is often done in undergraduate engineering curriculums. As an engineering tool, it is invaluable for processing data and numerically solving complex equations (like PDEs), amongst other problems. The large library of available functions, accompanied by Matlab's useful "help" function and online resources makes learning and using the program that much easier. The user interface is also very clean and easy to use. Definitely an essential tool for any engineer or scientist.

Cons

It would be nice to see autofilling features for commonly used functions. This is exists in Python, where brackets/parentheses are automatically closed. A readily available list of functions would also be nice to have located in the main toolbars. The online resources are extremely useful, but it would be nice to have examples and list of commonly used functions within the application itself to make writing new scripts a bit easier, especially when offline. The default graph settings are also not the best. Too many times do we see presentations with Matlab graphs that have extremely small lines and markers, and illegible axis labels.

MATLAB programming

I am highly dependent on Matlab. It is like a piece of un-stitched fabric for me and it is upto me what I make out of it. It has very strong support for scientific and technical community. Though the new version of Matlab (R2018b) tends to be slow on my desktop with 16GB RAM and i7 processor.

Pros

This is perhaps the most powerful software used by engineers of all disciplines. The best part of this software is the programming. You can write almost any kind of script which can also work with hardware. If you already know C++, using Matlab is not difficult at all. I have been controlling a whole million dollar machine using Matlab where a script was sending commands to the machine through a serial port and acquiring data simultaneously. The speed of Matlab is impressive to a level that I was able to acquire data at a rate of 2MS/s.

Cons

Matlab's Simulink was supposed to be a tool like Labview for visualization of a process but it became one of the least favorite features for many people. So instead of Simulink, I have to use Labview and then call Matlab script within Labview. This indirect approach bring compatibility issues. The block diagrams in Simulink was clumsy especially when you add more than 200 parts. One way to get through is dividing whole task into pieces and save a separate Simulink file for each sub task.

Eyamir from UDO

Excellent tool to solve scientific and engineering problems

In the subject numerical calculation and simulation and models has been very useful to solve problems in class, as well as great help to the currency of teaching subjects

Pros

Excellent tool to solve scientific and engineering problems with a high level language based on numerical calculations with vectors and matrices where you can work with scalar numbers both real and complex, and with strings of characters and with other more complex information structures. It also provides a very good desktop environment for iterative exploration, design and troubleshooting, aunadio to this provides graphs to visualize data and tools to create custom diagrams and also applications to adjust curves, classify data, analyze signals, adjust systems of control and many other tasks; It also has an extensive library of complementary tools for a wide variety of scientific and engineering applications. It allows the study of continuous, discrete, linear and non-linear systems, by means of internal and external description, in the time domain and frequency. Tools to create applications with custom user interfaces and with Interfaces for C / C ++, Java, .NET, Python, SQL, Hadoop and Microsoft Excel, as well as royalty-free implementation options for sharing MATLAB programs with end users. Wide mathematical support as well as the possibility of using extended precision in the calculations, besides a wide Mathematical support besides possibility of use of precision extended in the calculations. It has a large community on the web, where there are forums and support.

Cons

debuggin and profiling tools are not usually easy to use for some users, it also has speed problems. On the other hand, it does not have its own symbolic calculation library, which is why it uses Maple commands. When not being designed for the work in line of commandos it does not present any menu of quick access to procedures of frequent use.

Afshin from Gatech

elegant but pricey computing environment, programming software

Pros

Coding in MATLAB is really simple, easy and can be learned fast. Its rich toolboxes and numerous user-provided files (through its file exchange) makes it easy to quickly test and verify ideas. The one thing I liked most compared to other languages is its gui, visualization of results and the flexibility of editing the figures and plots. Its rich features from integration with C to parallel/distributed computations makes it appealing even to people who seek a simple coding environment which can yet deliver fast computations (although in terms of computing speed, there are better options).

Cons

1- price: since there are few free opensource programming languages such as python and R with great community behind them and lots of functionalities, sometimes it is difficult to justify the price for someone at the entry level who wants to learn a scientific programming language. 2- Since I personally prefer object oriented programming, sometimes I find it difficult to keep track of all different function names, ... that already exist in MATLAB and its toolboxes. To me, the way python handles the packages is more appealing and helps to avoid confusion (this might be my personal preference and some may like the way the toolboxes work in MATLAB)

Brian from Sachse Research Group

Industry: Biotechnology

Great for academia, not so great if you have to pay for it

I have used MATLAB for a lot of processing of data and data visualization. I have used it to build packages that process videos (not recommended, MATLAB has some functionality on this front but it isn't by any means thorough) but if used for what it is meant for, namely the manipulation, processing and visualization of data, it works very well.

Pros

The interface, functionality, and storage of data are very useful for doing work on large matrices and datasets. For things like interfacing with external hardware the pre-built packages and functionalities like Simulink work well if you have all the right parts. Even for things like machine learning MATLAB does a great job of making it more accessible while still giving you access to the process. MATLAB also is essentially ready to go right out of install, really no need to setup a specific environment for the program.

Cons

It is definitely proprietary, and though the forums and populated and the documentation is well put together its proprietary nature makes it less ubiquitous, meaning that if you have a sort of "fringy" problem you are trying to solve it is likely that no one has done it before. There are other open source languages that are even more fleshed out but have a longer learning curve than MATLAB because of environment setup.

MATLAB use case for industry and students

Great tool for performing engineering operations, algorithm development, and is a must for all Engineers!

Pros

MATLAB can be widely used in both industries as well as in education institutions due to its flexibility to deal with large multi-dimensional matrices very easily. In a world driven by data, mathematical operations to analyze the data and derive insights from those datasets has become essential and Matlab does that job very easily in a few lines of code. In fact, the company responsible for creating Matlab, Mathworks, provides a huge repository of documentation and examples to very easily explain each method and function to new users. This documentation can be considered unique as the documentation for all other programming tools (including Python and R) do not match up to the preciseness of the help provided by the MATLAB support system.

Cons

Due to its "mathematical setup" of using engineering techniques extensively, it can be a little overwhelming for first-time users, but the documentation should ease out the process of learning and implementing things in Matlab. The pricing of Matlab is on the higher side, which led to the development of Octave, a free tool replicating the functionalities of Matlab. Nevertheless, if you are a university student you should have free access to Matlab, as Mathworks networks heavily with educational institutions to grant access to all students across the globe.

Matthew from Jacobs

An Incredibly powerful piece of kit

Pros

As a mechanical engineer I use Matlab literally everyday and I not sure that I would be able to live (or at least do my job very well) without it. It is a very powerful software that can be used in many different ways for different professions. I really like how many useful built in features (functions) there are, and it's great that there are many different options to choose from if you wish to add more features (tool boxes). I like how versatile the program with when if comes to the different formats that you can import and export, for example anything from a spreadsheet full of data to a 3D CAT scan image. I feel like the possibilities are endless with what you can do with Matlab. I also used Matlab frequently as an engineering student. It made doing complex calculations and plotting such as differential equations so much easier and saved me a great deal of time too.

Cons

I have been using Matlab for several years now so I am very familiar with it, but it can take some time and learning to get used to at first and can feel a little intimidating. That being said, there are a wealth of resources out there, including some great tutorials on the Matlab/Mathworks website.

I use MATLAB for engineering coursework. Works well for the problems I need to solve.

I was able to quickly and efficiently solve chemical engineering problems. I also have the tools to solve a wide variety of other types of engineering and math problems.

Pros

This software works well with certain types of engineering problems, such as iterations and dew and bubble point calculations. It is very easy to write for loops, while loops, and functions, which can be used over and over again in different problems, classes and situations. There are a lot of specific packages you can get that are catered to your needs, and a lot of other majors at my school use MATLAB for a wide variety of purposes. The syntax is not hard to use at all, and is very similar to other programming languages. If you are familiar with others, learning MATLAB is a breeze. If you aren't familiar with other programming languages, learning MATLAB is more difficult but definitely doable through a in person class or online. Like any other programming language, the more you use it the better you get. The interface is fairly easy to use, and the debugger works well. It is easy to step through your code to see what the issues are.

Cons

This software should implement easier ways to solve ODEs and other challenging engineering problems. Other math related software do this easily, so it should not be an issue to implement them into MATLAB. It could also be easier if the interface was easier to clean up, and if the command window results did not have so many spaces in it. I dislike having to scroll through the command window when I am trying to find results to a function that has a lot of outputs. I wish some of the add on packs came embedded in the software at the start. It is really annoying having to get a new add on pack just for one use!

Nicolas from University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez

Matlab is indispensable for all STEM careers, it is a complete platform to design and test concepts

This software has helped me a lot in the topic of optimization and repeating algorithms to solve some problem. In addition, the part of data management and complex operations for image processing and systems control.

Pros

It is a tool so universal that in almost all universities it is used, it has an easy-to-understand graphical interface. It contains a basic help menu that can be extended until you see complex examples of what you want. When you want to generate algorithms, it contains a proprietary language that avoids the use of a complex syntax, unlike other programming languages. It contains many functions and pre-made algorithms that allow you to test a concept at a high level, in a few lines of code.

Cons

not having a categorized menu with functions, many times you do not know what is available and you have to resort to the internet to search forums for the available functions, because many times you perform the algorithm from scratch, and then you realize that they had a function For that. In the simulink tool, there is a need for more things to be considered for the electronic part, due to the fact that other branches such as controls and power have enough resources, but the electronics at the level of CMOS transistors do not.

Best coding I have ever used

Pros

As a basic coding software, MatlLab is the best among the other coding software. Many benefits that I got from using this software. One of it is the language of the programme is flexible which helping not just the professionals but also a freshly user to use the software in an efficient way in calculation and other things. Besides that, as the software one of the important things in engineering field which require some complex calculations, by using this software, it can help for the problem solution with some coding fundamentals is needed. Last but not least, MatLab software have the ability in processing and analysis of image, tools an many things in their system, which some of software did not have such as Octave.

Cons

The ability in analysis of bigger data in this software is undeniable. But the cons here is the time taken in running codes. This software is not the only one who take few minutes to running codes, but in my opinion, as MatLab is my favorite coding software, it will be better if it can be further improved. The price also one of the cons in this software. As a full-time student, the price is a little bit expensive. Not just for me, some student wherever country may experience the same thing. It may be better if there is an affordable price for student.

Israa from top me

Matlab review

The MATLAB program is viewed as the most well-known program is digit of an expectation to learn and adapt, particularly for those simply figuring out how to program Blunder messages could be more enlightening to established researchers. This program is utilized in general logical and design issues. Subsequent to demonstrating any issue or peculiarity, the job of this program comes to manage those projects and break down them in the least difficult, generally present-day and most straightforward method for programming. It is actually significant that this program shows in excess of 200 establishments and universities in the United States of America just, with the exception of those foundations in Europe and the remainder of the world. It is sufficient to enter one of the web indexes on the Internet and type just MATLAB, then, at that point, you will be flabbergasted at the number of locales that discussion about this program.

Pros

- Quick prototyping of sign processing applications. - Simplicity of testing and accompanies a decent proofreader and toolset. - Information Analytics and Matrix Processing Capabilities. - Ease of creating a simple and intuitive GUI with a very powerful wizard.

Cons

- A digit of an expectation to learn and adapt, particularly for those simply figuring out how to program - Blunder messages could be more enlightening

Marco from Unipd

One of the most powerful products in engeneering field.

I now use Matlab to do all my University projects. I have used it for 4 years. The first impact was literally very tough. At the beginning I think you need someone that teaches you to use the program. If not it is very difficult to start. But when you begin using it, after some time you can use it to do whatever project, calculations, program you want.

Pros

This software is so deep that you can do whatever you want with it. I used this product to make projects, models, simulations, programs, calculations during my universtity years. If you begin trying and learning to use this product the possibilities are endless. The interface is a little bit confusing at a first use. But with a little bit of training it takes its sense.

Cons

There are mainly two things that I don't really like of this products. The first one is that it is a program a little bit difficult to install and to update to the next release (sometimes I hade to uninstall completely two times the program to succed update it). The other thing that I don't really like is that the interface is maybe too complicated. You have lots of things that you can need. But when you are working on something specific you don't really need everything. It can be confusing.

Mirza from Texas A&M University

MATLAB should be your go to for your programming needs

MATLAB has been great overall. If you're a new user looking to buy it, I'd say go for it without any hesitation. It's the best once you get familiar with it. It is a very powerful toll if you're in the industry or academic research.

Pros

The main thing I love about MATLAB is the help documentation. You can literally search for anything you want to do and its there. You can google it or search it on MATLAB's website. If you've run in to an error chances are 1000s of people before you have run into the same issue before, googling it helps. There are various toolboxes available. My most used toolbox is the Image Processing Toolbox. A lot of data visualization and analysis options are also available. You can automate almost everything. I have written a code with a GUI that decides on which restaurant to eat at. People who say python is better haven't used MATALB to it's full potential.

Cons

The main downside is that MATLAB needs to make their GUI more minimalist, it's 2020 already!! The other thing that I miss is an option to add semicolon automatically after every line. It gets annoying when you miss a semicolon.

Samridh from TSI Incorporated

MATLAB as student and professional

Overall MATLAB is a great software tool and can be of great benefit to one's career learning the tool and it's capabilities.

Pros

I learnt how to use MATLAB as a student during my Engineering school days and very quickly I found out this is a very powerful tool. It has pre-programmed functions which can be used to make your life easier. You can also develop codes and run them to get graphs and simulations. It is extremely good at developing 2D/ 3D models where one can use it to identify poles and zero locations. Hence obviously I used it extensively for control applications. The Simulink feature which comes with MATLAB is an excellent tool which I think everyone should know how to use if they are a controls engineer. In the professional world MATLAB is used pretty much everywhere for simulation and controls applications hence if you know how to use MATLAB with Simulink it's a boost on the Resume. MATLAB has very well established help and libraries which is beneficial and comes pretty handy.

Cons

MATLAB is a powerful tool hence it's an expensive tool. As a student it is not possible for someone to be able to afford and learn this tool however educational institutions have it. Only drawback is you cannot take it home and learn it on your own. MATLAB requires also a very fast computer as it demands a lot of power. The only major con I see is using MATLAB in place of other faster platforms such as C, C++, Python may not fancy lot of people as it takes lot of processing time compared to others.

Amin from Cleveland State University

A must for any engineer

Pros

Its ease of use and variety of options it offers in different fields. No matter what you do, if you need a simulation, calculation, virtual lad experiment, etc... MATLAB ahs it! It can be easily connected to hardware and used for many online action. It has so many features that it may bot be possible to claim to learned MATLAB 100%! You need to look for anything you need inside the software and do your research for it.

Cons

The problem with MATLAB is its updates! every year there is a new version with more features but they change some small things that users usually get used to it and it looks like wasting time to find the substitute and changes! For example, till 2019 when you plot something, there was a button for editing and by just clicking on it you could directly go to edit. After that they change it and now you have to go to menu bar look for it and click three times to find get the same thing you could get by one click. They hide some features/ or they do not operate properly (I do not know) but something as simple as a zoom in/out is not that easy to find!

muhamamd from comsats universty abbottabad

matlab review

AS I am using Matlab for previous 4 years and itsvery useful the more you get into it the more you find it intreting. AS it had some issues of pricing and slow loading but due to its great features its still a useful tools for many organisation and institute

Pros

AS I am using MATLAB over a certain years I have observed many of its features and defects. 1)MATLAB tools are best as it provide a vast library for linear algebra,Fourier,and statistics. 2)MATLAB contains a simulink library which can be use to model power systems and run simulations. MATLAB is very accurate when providing simulation result 3)using MATLAB complex problems of signal processing,image processing can be solved easily. 4)the help function of MATLAB makes its very easy to use all you have to do is just type help followed by your desired keyword and it will provide you a complete documentation of how to use the function. 5)when ever there is any mistake in your code it will clearly highlight the position and type of error. 6)MATLAB can be used to plot graphs and graphs formed are very clear and accurate.

Cons

1)To be expert in MATLAB is not very easy. for saving different functions you needs to have different type of files.you cannot store different functions in one .m file 2)one cannot share his MATLAB work to a person who does not have access to MATLAB. 3)Highly priced as you have to renew the license after some time of use. 4)some times the program get freeze without any reason.

Sandipan from Arizona State University

A good application for analysis on small datasets.

My overall experience with Matlab has been good. I find it valuable when running programs on small datasets. During large computations, it makes the system too slow and is not preferred for analysis over large data.

Pros

I have been using Matlab for quite a while now. It has the following prospects: 1) The user interface is quite simple and easy to use. 2) The Matlab coding language is simpler than many programming languages and more operations can be done by writing less code. 3) It has an integrated UI building tool, which makes it easier to connect the front-end and the backend of a project. 4) It is supported by lots of plugins that are easy to download and use.

Cons

During usage, I found the following limitations of Matlab: 1) The application is resource exhausting and the system turns too slow during its usage. 2) The installation files take up lots of space in the disk. 3) Although Matlab coding is modular, programmers migrating from standard object-oriented programming languages to Matlab might find it inconvenient initially. 4) Some of the important plugins required purchasing.

Ryan from BYU Crop Biomechanics Lab

Powerful and flexible computation tool

I currently use MATLAB in my research in plant biomechanics. It's a powerful computational tool and very easy to get started with. We use MATLAB to perform statistical analyses, organize data, and perform engineering calculations. In the past, I've used MATLAB in coursework for optimization, control systems, dynamic system simulation, and more.

Pros

I first used MATLAB as a novice programmer, and I found it much easier to pick up than C++, which I was also learning at the time. MATLAB is very robust, has easy-to-follow documentation, and an active community where questions can be answered. It's a great all-in-one software for research and coursework, and I know I'm only just scratching the surface of what it can do. The development environment is very flexible.

Cons

MATLAB is not cheap, which means it's pretty unlikely you'll want to use it for personal computing. Other than that my only complaint is the difficulty of displaying everything you might want to see on a laptop screen. It's not usually a problem on a desktop, but on a laptop the different windows can get crowded, making it difficult to see what you're working on in the editor.

Nikola from High Performance Tutoring - Salt Lake City

The standard for research

I have used MATLAB to develop an app with GUI for hardware automation and data processing. I was amazed how well it worked. In everyday work MATLAB can be used for fast model prototyping and calculations. Anything you can calculate, MATLAB does it better.

Pros

What I like the most about software is that it can be easily used for anything from a calculator to programming full fledged GUI applications and simulation tool. As a calculator it's fast and powerful together with scripting functionality, the library of functions pretty much covers anything you can think of. It is very fast when handling a lot of data in matrix form. Parallel processing feature allows you to speed it up even faster. GUI customization and preset scheme is great. Debugger is very intuitive and the fact that MATLAB language is a sequential programming language allows you execute lines of code independently. Documentation is amazing! I wish every single software/programming language is documented as well as MATLAB. There is plenty of examples for any function that just work when you copy paste them.

Cons

The Mac OSX version is not developed well enough to take advantage of all OSX features in my opinion. For example MATLAB manages clipboard really funky on Mac. I couldn't get any 3rd party snippet clipboard managers to work well with MATLAB (anyone who programs a lot knows how helpful these are). I couldn't get third party editors to work with.

Caiwei from University of Maryland College Park

Powerful data analysis software

It is not the most inviting software for someone who has just begun coding. The error messages could be bewildering. Personally I think this is a shortcoming inherited from C. It takes up considerable hard drive and CPU space. More people in research now use Python, and for that reason Python has more third-party packages available. For tasks that do not require powerful data analysis, it might be more time-efficient and computationally efficient to use another language that is easier to code with.

Pros

Matlab is perhaps by far the most power data analysis software I have come across for analyzing molecular motion. We construct our own data acquisition and processing platform with Matlab by embedding the code in GUI. With the numerous built-in and third-party packages, Matlab has been able to handle almost any experimental data generated and give us the plots we need.

Cons

The insurmountable analytical power. So far that has been unsurpassed by any other software. The numerous built-in and third-party code packages have been really useful in algorithm development and capturing, processing of experimental data.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,620 reviews