• Pros

• "Easy to use, very handy customization and powerfull"

• "Great product. Covers all the bases. Really easy to use. Easy to set up Designs. Easy to do any type of analysis for Total Sample."

• "It is easy to use, the updates are good, the styles are nice, the studies fit on any screen."

• Cons

• "While the frequent updates and new features are great, we often find glitches or small issues when we first start using it."

• "It is sometimes a bit cumbursome to integrate the perl script to all attributes and levels, but maybe there is a more easy way of doing that than the way i do it. "

• "It is somewhat pricey, however, it is comparable to other programming software."

Browse Lighthouse Studio Reviews

Tatiana from ConsumerQuest

Our Main Tool for Survey Programming

This is the main tool we use to program surveys of any level of difficulty. Once you have done enough projects, all past surveys serve as excellent templates, on the basis of which it is possible to solve similar tasks, at the same time - customizing for specific needs.

Pros

Super versatile, completely customizable, love the endless options of implementing PERl, Java, HTML by themselves and with the help of SSI Scripts. Can look overwhelming for somebody who needs simple SurveyMonkey-style surveys, but works as a real powerhouse for those who want more. Customer support is exceptional - very responsive, can create specific pieces of codes tailored for your task. Great response time both via the phone and email.

Cons

Just sad that the standalone version of Sawtooth Web is slowly going away and probably will seize to be at some point.

Maxwell from Advantage Research Inc.

Deep Software That Empowers Users

It's been our bread and butter survey publisher for over 10 years! We love it! What else is there to say.

Pros

Nothing is impossible. While many of the new slick, glossy software competing with Sawtooth prioritize aesthetics and wide-spreading integrated functionality, they sacrifice the deeper levels of customization and flexibility that Sawtooth enables with it's native scripting language, unverified perl, and advanced skip logic functionality. While many other softwares offer you a "boxed" solution that may be easier to use for casual users, Sawtooth rewards those willing to learn by empowering them to be able to do whatever they want.

Cons

Some interface items could be streamlined (nested menu only enable you to interact with whatever window is in focus) and the styles could be more robust with animations - Although this has never been Sawtooth's comparitive advantage, in my opinion.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

All other publishers are boxed solutions without the robust scripting capability of Sawtooth.

Ingo from Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Industry: Research

Powerful product with excellent customer service

Overall, this is powerful software that I am happy to use and work with for my research projects.

Pros

We use Lighthouse Studio for an Adaptive Choice Based Conjoint design. The great benefit is certainly excellent customization possibilities, which gives a lot of flexibility to collect the data the way we intend to. What I enjoyed was the overall great responsiveness of the customer service team/their employees, if I had questions where I could not find an answer. This resulted several times in receiving recommendations/customized solutions to solve my problem. You do get the feeling the employees care about the success of their users.

Cons

The high level of customization comes with the downside of complexity which may need some time to get everything set up and find answer to the specific questions. I higher amount of "how to videos" for the different analyses types/could be helpful here (seeing screens is quicker than reading through their very extensive how to guides.

Silvo from ROIRocket

Expensive

OK for what we use it for.

Pros

Efficiency for choice modelling. Not much beyond that.

Cons

Expensive and few usability improvements over the years.

Justin from AMG Research

Lighthouse Studios Review

Overall, I am still extremely happy and satisfied with the Sawtooth and the new Lighthouse Studios program. The customer support is second to none and the team is always available when needed. The employees are also very knowledgeable and answer any questions we have with a solution. After using Sawtooth for all 8 years of my employment at AMG Research, I do not think there is another company that could meet our needs as well as Sawtooth.

Pros

We have used Sawtooth Software for many years. Recently, we upgraded to the Lighthouse Studios version 9. I really enjoyed some of the new features like a drag and drop rank, the increased mobile responsiveness, and the next to none learning curve from the original Sawtooth Software. I could go on and one, but overall it is a very easy to use program.

Cons

With all of the good Lighthouse Studios offers there are some things I would really like to see improved; mostly with the market simulator conjoint. In the past, Sawtooth had a program called SMRT. With SMRT, I was able to make banner variables and analyze multiple segments all at one time. That function was not added to the market simulator. Segmentation is not as easy as it had been in the past. Also, while you can customize your layout surveys, it is difficult to change the .css style sheets to change font colors, text sizes, spacing, and text styles. I have a intermediate knowledge of css and it was still very difficult for me.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

Past familiarity with Sawtooth, the ease of making constructed list, and the simplicity of the skip logic. Our surveys are very complex and with Lighthouse Studios, I was able to do everything I needed.

Phil from Unity Technologies

Industry: Computer Games

Best software for choice modeling

Use for product feature prioritization, pricing research, brand equity. LOVE working in it. It's my favorite tool.

Pros

I love the amount of customization you can do with this software. The options available for doing choice modeling are the best of any available software. The expertise behind the product is amazing as well. Customer support has helped me numerous times. The information available on the website is comprehensive and helpful. The forum is particularly well moderated.

Cons

Not quite as user-friendly as Qualtrics for some things such as survey flow.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

Qualtrics still has a long way to go. Although it has a randomized first choice, there aren't near as many ways to work with it. You also can't do Alternative-specific designs, partial profile designs, conditional displays, and conditional pricing (I think). There's also no way to test your design and look at things like standard errors. They also don't talk about hold-out tasks or make it easy to incorporate them. Have also talked with Saurabh at Knowledge Excel but am so used to using Sawtooth that I just wanted to keep using it.

Duncan from Colmar Brunton

My review

We are most often looking at price, but also other features and benefits of products and services. We haven't used the full functionality of the software (a) because we have our own interviewing and scripting software that our team uses (Dimensions) and (b) because we create our own simulators.

Pros

It is just so easy to use. And there are a number of options available when creating a design so that if one doesn't work I can try something else. Also the ability to include my own designs for modelling if I need to, which I do sometimes.

Cons

The time taken to design and/or analyse large or complicated experiments. Sometimes it's longer than I have available, but there are other options available to me in the software which I use instead.

Julien from Amadeus IT Group

Very sound software, constrainted interface

That was our first use of Lighthouse. We have made some design choices that made the analysis of the results complicated: instead of using levels adjusted to the context of the respondents, we duplicated CBC questionnaires with updated levels. Due to lower responses that expected we had to regroup the responses, that could not be done with the tool but with the help of the support we could do it separately and feed it back in the Analysis tool. Although not recommended that saved our analysis and we could get reasonably good results. The flexibility of the tool was a real plus here, though there is a great margin of improvement still.

Pros

Extensive documentation. Well defined steps (Design, Run, Analysis, Simulation) with csv input/output between last 3 steps to allow adhoc processing in the middle.

Cons

The interface of the questionnaire design is the weakness, some particular points: - impossible to keep the documentation opened while editing the questionnaire - Not possible to copy-paste CBC questions within a questionnaire - UI design of the surveys is fastiduous. we had difficulties to use standard javascript libraries in survey. Also the use of a format easier to process for the .ssi files (XML ?) would enable to update questionnaires by script.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

More extensive and better documented analytics. Sawtooth trainings and workshops

Greg from Sibilance, Inc.

Comprehensive Survey Software - Sawtooth

We rely on Lighthouse Studio for our product optimization efforts, enabling us to do scenario planning, product development prioritization and alignment to customer segment targets.

Pros

If you are in need of sophisticated analyses (e.g. conjoint, MaxDiff, etc.), there is no comparable to Sawtooth in terms of feature breadth, sophistication of exercises, and overall flexibility in survey design incorporating these complicated exercises.

Cons

The overall UX is built for hardcore programmers, and while there is seemingly infinite flexibility, this is often too much for the modest user, and is not comparable to the other SaaS software options like Qualtrics, SurveyGizmo, Decipher or Dynata.

Sumit from Knowledge Excel

Industry: Market Research

The software is very user friendly. Conjoint and maxdiff analysis is very powerful and recommendable

Overall experience is very good that's why I have associated with this software for last 5 years.

Pros

Output of conjoint and maxdiff is very user friendly. Making customized survey is very easy. The best part is data collection in different mode like online/offline and can integrate with other platform is also helpful to sustain in market. Some desired questions are not there by default but can make it using Jquery/CSS/HTML like text highlighter/Heatmap.

Cons

Sometimes data lost for any particular question which should not but we can find the same in history table which is good.

Claudio from marketmind

Industry: Market Research

Solid package, especially if you'd like to customise or if you're into Conjoint, MaxDiff etc.

Compared to other survey software, Lighthouse is a solid product that has a lot of capabilities and helps develop great surveys. Sure there is a lot that could be improved (and hey, Sawtooth, if you'd like some input or ideas, you're welcome to get in touch;) but in comparison it is one of the better solutions if you are looking for a certain degree of freedom and know your way around JS, CSS, Perl etc.

Pros

Highly customisable. Tailored towards people who are developers or have a strong tendency towards developing and therefore more intuitive than other products that do have more pleasing UIs yet more cumbersome UXs. It's one of the few solutions that provide good functionality when it comes to all types of Conjoint studies, MaxDiff etc. Backwards compatibility in terms of "the interwebs" is pretty deep (supports browser and platforms way back) although that's also something that holds the software back more than it should. Offline functionality works ok - although only on Android.

Cons

Innovation is lacking a bit. The overall architecture, look and feel of the software is almost unchanged in the past decade. Still relying heavily on jQuery and other libraries (which is totally unnecessary since almost everything can be done with vanilla JS and much reduced overhead!). The DOM and the structure comprises of a lot of jank. After all it's a web-experience and there are many things that can be improved upon to rise up to modern days web-standards to provide decent loading times, UXs for the respondents and make use of modern APIs and browser capabilities. I wish there was a more open dialog with developers in terms of roadmaps, development cycles, including suggestions etc. Offline functionality for iOS would be nice!

Paul from Paul Moon Consulting

Why Lighthouse Studio should be in your consideration set

I have been using the Lighthouse Studio since 2006. It has steadily grown in that time with more and more features / improvement included constantly across the journey. The Sawtooth Software team listen to their clients. They encourage you to voice your opinion. They regularly seek out your feedback for the good of their products. They really do get it right.

Pros

It contains all the standard survey question types and many of the more complex / customised question types that other software includes. It has the ability to add customised features / programming via HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Perl, etc. As with any software you become familiar with, it is easy to navigate your way around the menus and features within. The Sawtooth Software support is world class. It consists of a vibrant online forum and a generous and friendly help desk direct from Sawtooth Software themselves. I rely heavily on their ongoing support.

Cons

I guess self interest kicks in here. There are a couple of features I would love to see included such as a bulk emailer, carousels (programmed by Sawtooth Software rather than me) and file uploading within a survey.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

Lighthouse Studio was reasonably priced for small-medium-large users (it catered for all shapes and sizes). I also heard their support tools (e.g. forum, help desk, etc.) was outstanding, and from experience, this became fact.

Steve from Bovitz, Inc.

Industry: Market Research

With you for the long run

Lighthouse, although we don't fully utilize every feature, is exactly what we needed to accomplish the MaxDiff tasks for both our research teams and clients. If you're not sure how do do something, call them. I can almost guarantee they have the exact something you need and will definitely help you through everything. They are among the smartest in the industry and know the ins and outs of everything they give us the ability to accomplish. So even if you get everything set up, but just don't fully understand the results, they can easily help with that as well. If you're on the fence, I would highly recommend this side as the greener one.

Pros

I have used Sawtooth Software since their first days of Ci2 back in the 90s. I've used their interviewing software (CATI/CAPI), went with to Ci3 and then Sensus as they entered the Web space. Their software has always been on point, giving you all of the features needed for a complete market research system. Since the early days, I have morphed to different systems with different companies, but have come back to Lighthouse for its ability to help run MaxDiff designs. We set everything up in Sawtooth, transfer the design to our interviewing software, import it back to Lighthouse, run the scores and upload it to the online analyzer. Our teams, and even some clients really love the ease of the online analyzer that also includes TURF analysis side-by-side with the MaxDiff analysis.

Cons

They have SO many choices for researchers, sometimes it can be difficult to know which is best for you, but if you tell them what you are trying to do, they'll get you to the exact product/service/logic you need.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

It was the best solution for our needs and it doesn't hurt to have a 30 year history with using the company's software. With the wealth of knowledge they have, and have shared with the industry, this is not just a software company. They are a partner in research.

Nico from elucidate

Industry: Market Research

Essential product for our business

Has been an everyday part of our business for years. Couldn’t live without it.

Pros

Flexible and robust - does everything we need to conduct research and analyses. Excellent customer service. This product helps us provide essential services to our clients.

Cons

Does everything we need. No concerns at all.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

Ease of use, price, capabilities, service

Daniel from Research America Inc

Industry: Market Research

Lighthouse Studio makes my job a joy to do.

Overall I find Lighthouse Studio to be one of the easiest platforms to use that doesn't sacrifice features in the name of usability. Our company uses another platform for programming surveys (Voxco) and the client software for it is clumsy, and the web app lacks many of the basic features I uses for almost all surveys I program.

Pros

The built in questions and functionality are reason enough to find Lighthouse Studio worth the price, but the support and flexibility of the software are why I think it is almost the perfect solution for programming surveys. The Perl and JavaScript support gives me the ability to create almost anything a client requests. Add in the user forums and the question library, and there isn't much I cannot do with Studio.

Cons

The only 2 features that the software is missing (at least I have not found a way to implement them) are the ability to assign custom values to items in a list ( example: on a 3 item list, such as 'yes' 'no' and 'none', the value of 'yes' will always be 1, 'no' will always be 2, and 'none' will always be 3) and project managers sometimes want that, since it is possible in another platform our company uses(Voxco). And the other is the ability to tie it into our dialing solutions for over the phone interviews. But these are not mission critical, just features that would allow us to use Studio for more projects.

Steven from Deft Research

Sawtooth Lighthouse Studio Not Just for Conjoint Anymore

It gets the job done and allows us to explore new ways of surveying people.

Pros

Sawtooth's Lighthouse Studio is a great overall survey tool. My first introduction to Sawtooth was over 30 years ago doing conjoint surveys offline. And for years I had pretty much considered them the go-to firm for conjoint design software. But I have been using Sawtooth as my primary survey software for about seven years now. It does everything we need. And their customer support is wonderful. Every so often we have a new use that no one has done before. The techs at Sawtooth are always up to the challenge.

Cons

Styles may not be as fashionable as some of the alternatives, but the system is exceptionally flexible.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

The conjoint capability is the best.

ROD from ILLUME

Lighthouse By Far the Best

We have programmed thousands of surveys with Lighthouse for companies in various industries around the world. We are a full-service market research company, and Lighthouse is our primary data collection tool.

Pros

We have used Lighthouse / SSI_Web / CiW for 20+ years. It is by far the best survey authoring software available, and Sawtooth's MaxDiff and conjoint modules speak for themselves. Rapid development / programming. Hosting included with license. Much easier to program and more powerful than the online portal systems such as Decipher, Qualtrics, Confirmit, etc. Perl language easy to implement as well as JavaScript. Works great on mobile. Support is the best!

Cons

FIrst and foremost - The online reporting module stinks. This is where the online portal systems such as Decipher and Qualtrics blow Lighthouse away. The quotas only tally when a survey is completed. If you add a new quota cell midstream, current completes are not tallied. They need to have the quotas hit the database server real-time instead of tally with completes.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

Rapid programming and not priced per complete. Plus the software is installed on your computer and you do not have to program online.

Geoffrey from Research Design Specialists

Heavy Lighthouse User

We've used Sawtooth Software going back to Dos, and have always found them to be easy to work with, great customer support and well priced. And, since we do so much conjoint work, why not go straight to the source?

Pros

It is a great out-of-the-box software that is simple to setup and use, but there are a lot of ways to get advanced functionality from the software, using different programming languages. It's almost limitless what can be done with some advanced programming, and there are many additional question types available from the user library.

Cons

Some of the advanced programming is a little out of my league, and while knowing things can be done just not knowing exactly how to do them is a little frustrating.

Conjoint.

Scott from Advantage Research, Inc.

Very robust survey platform

We have been using Lighthouse Studio and it predecessors for many years - more than ten. The upgrades and enhancements have been sufficient for our needs. We recently investigated Quatrics survey platform and the list of things we discovered that Qualtics couldn't do that Lighthouse could grew quickly and we ended our investigation. Quatrics is a very nice product, but I think Lighthouse is better.

Pros

There are virtually no constraints on the types of questions, survey elements, design elements, etc. that you can include in a survey. This makes Lighthouse not quite as easy to use as some of the others, but for a firm such as ours, these capabilities are a must. We have compared it to almost every other product on the market and have never really been close to switching away.

Cons

I wish it were a bit cheaper and I wish it would cater more toward general survey administration rather than advanced statistical procedures. It's not a 'complete' solution in that it lacks a list management/email invitation module. The reporting backend is robust, but a way to make nice looking client dashboards would be a good add.

Megan from Numerious Inc.

The Gold Standard for Choice Based Research

We use Lighthouse Studio for 100% of our projects because of it's flexibility and power. I can program anything my clients can come up and trust that the conjoint modules are the vetted and correct. Not to mention, if I ever have an issue, the Customer Support team is always there to help answer my questions.

Pros

Sawtooth Software is the most powerful choice based survey and analysis tool that exists today. I can easily create a conjoint or maxdiff exercise along with programming non-conjoint questions. Not to mention, I can completely customize my designs or survey as needed. Our business uses Sawtooth Software as the sole programming software for our research needs. We also leverage Sawtooth's incredible customer support hotline and their online user forum when we have tricky questions and need help. The support team is amazing!

Cons

The desktop software may look a little dated, but its power and capabilities overcome this!

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

There is no question that Lighthouse Studio is the absolute best conjoint analysis survey and analysis tool. Other vendors/products were not even considered.

Kegan from Riot Games

UI is Ugly, but the results are beautiful

We use Lighthouse to build many different types of survey for a variety of applications (from doing concept testing for new monetization products, to tracking sentiment, to measuring interest in new game ideas). It has consistently provided us with the tools we need to segment easily, and create differentiated stack ranks of preference. I love Lighthouse Studio, despite the way it looks.

Pros

I love that Lighthouse Studio allows us to design and analyze choice task surveys with ease. I especially love the LCA functionality that is built in.

Cons

The UI is not very good. It looks like it was made by Russian hackers. It isn't as drag and drop as other survey design software I've used in the past (e.g. Qualtrics). These issues are less important to me than the capabilities the software offers, and the way it has transformed our research approaches at Riot.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

The alternatives did not meet the basic threshold of features and functions required to analyze choice data. The design capabilities of Qualtrics' version of maxdiff were so limiting as to be useless for many of our existing applications.

Max from Goldmedia Custom Research

Industry: Market Research

Easy to learn, difficult to master survey software with a lot of freedoms

All in all, Lighthouse is a very good choice for all those who want to set up complex online surveys and who need a lot of freedom (e.g. in filter management, design customization or quota control). If you regularly carry out conjoint analyses, there is no getting around the program. If you prefer fancy user interfaces and want to carry out relatively simple surveys, where nothing can go wrong with the programming, even with infrequent users, you should use something else.

Pros

Sawtooth is incredibly flexible and lets the user conduct even the most complex online surveys. Especially the conjoint features are absolutely unbeaten. The design of the online surveys is modern and automatically optimized for mobile use. Even the integration of a dedicated survey server is relatively simple. Customer service is excellent and fast.

Cons

The freedoms come at a price: anything that goes beyond a simple survey is quite complex and requires employees who are at least familiar with a little coding. The design of the user interface could also use a few updates.

Mark from Sawtooth Technologies, Inc.

The Best Software Package For Conjoint and Maxdiff Data Collection and Analysis

Sawtooth Software delivers a high-end, user friendly, robust software package, high level support personnel and access to them, when the need is there, that allows our business to service our customer's needs in their market research. We are fortunate to be able to present to our clients the latest research techniques and solutions with Sawtooth Software's Lighthouse Studio.

Pros

The ability to build custom studies in conjoint analysis and maximum difference scaling for our client's market research needs for data collection and comprehensive analysis. I have been using this software for a very long time. I am excited for each new release of more advanced function, the integration of new techniques, and new data analysis I've have the opportunity to provide our clients. And besides the software, I am always impressed by their superb support. They care about the problem and their users.

Cons

I love the software. I love the support. I love the expertise exhibited by the developers and support personal.

Nathan from Northwest Research Group

Industry: Market Research

There is virtually nothing you CANNOT do

We use lighthouse for nearly every project we do...several dozen a year. The one thing I didn't mention earlier is the customer support is absolutly top notch. When I call, I get a human, and often one of the same humans so I feel like I know them personally.

Pros

We do all sorts of crazy custom projects that involve programming surveys for multiple modes (online, phone, etc.) and in multiple languages. Lighthouse has the ability to incorporate HTML, JAVA, PERL and CSS giving you basically limitless functionality and customizability if you are willing to put in the effort. Additionally, I have the ability to write functions into the programming which means that my back-end data cleaning is easier and faster.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that they do not verify Perl scripting (which I use more than other scripts). So, when I have a Perl error I don't have any hints on how to fix it...which is a bit annoying at times.

Catherine from QAD Inc.

GReat Product, Troublesome on Macs

Overall, pretty good except for when Parallels makes my computer crash.

Pros

Lighthouse has excellent functionality and everything I need to do my MaxDiff and CBC surveys and analysis. The help section is incredibly useful, as is tech support. Anytime I have a question they really take the time to help me solve the issue, which I absolutely love because I'm newer to this and I need the help. The software is relatively easy to use and figure out

Cons

I have a Mac, so I have to use Parallels to get it to run. Parallels slows down my computer LIKE CRAZY. Sometimes starting up Sawtooth in Parallels takes 25 minutes just to get Sawtooth TO OPEN. It also freezes up on me. I've had to un-install and re-instal Sawtooth a handful of times just to get it to work. I think this is Parallel's issue, not Sawtooth. But if there was ONE thing I could change about Lighthouse is that I would make it run on Macs. It's 2020, you guys need to get past this PC vs Mac war. That is so 2004. Both have been around for decades, neither is going away, and I have a Mac, please make your software work on my computer.

Mostly price

Markus from GIM

Industry: Market Research

Powerful application with special special needs to achieve your goal

We do custom made conjoints, not the usual conjoints, always with special needs. :o) I always use JavaScript and Perl for this task.

Pros

It is very easy to setup simple surveys. The integrated conjoint estimation is quick to learn and easy to use. Good documentation and I always find hints in the forum.

Cons

Some variables (i.e. CurrentTask) are not available, if you setup a custom made CBC. You always have to to a workaround. If you write code, you always have to remind what piece of code is in which part of the program. It´s easy to loose oversight. Randomization of design is not available in Conjoints. If you setup a study on 8 computers at the same time, they all start from the beginning of the design. => Workaround: Using different designs for every computer. Multilanguage isn´t really supported. Again, a workaround with lists is necessary. Otherwise you have to setup a survey for every language.

Michael from Morgan Analytics Research Institute

Sawtooth's product quality and performance are understated

I am not doing individual survey project work anymore, but instead trying to figure out how to handle a very large number of respondents efficiently using virtual cloud architecture. Challenges include not only how to make sure your product will run in a server whose operating system may be foreign to the one you use, but how you manage to offload data from the servers quickly enough to handle new logins. You might call this the "streaming respondent" problem.

Pros

It makes it easier to get around in things like self-hosting and providing client-ready monitoring tools.

Cons

I've discussed this with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] before, but I want to mention that there has been a significant development in behavioral theory (economics, finance, etc.) that should be considered for future development. For example, Drazen Prelec at MIT several years ago proposed a simple model for assessing how truthful respondents are on single-item response scales. There are other articles in this area - just the "moral hazard" problem, as well as the "adverse selection" problem (propensity for survey participants to lie about their qualifications in order to be selected for the sample). The folks in these areas are a bit off the mainstream of behavioral economics or psychology, but since the work by Jean Lafontte (sp?) in the 1980s (UChicago?), some important findings have been offered.

Arnaud from Arnaud Miconnet

Lighthouse Studio, your go-to tool for conjoint, maxdiff -and more

I am programming all my online questionnaires (60+ a year) using Sawtooth's Lighthouse Studio, whether they include conjoints / maxdiff or not. With a bit of css / javascript know-how, there is not much the tool cannot handle. This includes programming heavily customized questions (shopping baskets etc), leveraging the tool for data collection / database preparation.

Pros

Pretty much the industry standard when it comes to conjoint analysis and maxdiff (best-worst scaling). Brilliant customer support, and a very helpful community (e.g., via the forum). The (free, for yearly licenses) hosting solution of online questionnaires also solves many headaches for small organizations / independent consultants.

Cons

Could include some more advanced / modern question formats (e.g., drag & drop ranking still requires customization for dynamic number of items or presence of an "other please specify" field)

Heather from ALG Research

User Friendly and Intuitive

Pros

I have used several kinds of online survey programming platforms and Lighthouse is, by far, the most user-friendly and intuitive. The ability to import most of the survey from Word has also been revolutionary in our ability to get a project programmed and out the door. Additionally, their customer service and support is wonderful. Whenever I run into a road block on a project, they are extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and patient whether that is on the phone or through their support email.

Cons

I have been using this product for over 7 years, so I have become very familiar with the survey flow commands and list-building syntax needed to accomplish most of my needs in a project. I often feel that the help resources and reference guide, though, could be more helpful if more details and more varied examples of HOW to accomplish some of the more technical and advanced functions. There have been several times that I have found that a particular action was possible, but not enough information about how to adjust the one example given for my particular project needs.

Amber from Campaign Support

Sawtooth Software is top notch

We have been using Sawtooth Software for many years and intend to continue using it for many years to come.

Pros

Our company utilizes Sawtooth Software for many different uses and we are always pleased with the robust options for customizing for our various needs. When we need the software to do something that isn't available out of the box, the Sawtooth team has helped us find ways to accomplish what we need the software to do for us.

Cons

Sawtooth has many sophisticated options and it tries to bridge the gap between the deeply technical capabilities and making the software easy to use, but sometimes the learning curve can be steep.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

Sawtooth Software has a wide range of capabilities, including very complex streaming.

Gladys from Pricing Solutions

Happy user

I'm satisfied and our company is satisfied. We like that it's one platform to create the survey and analyze the conjoint exercises except for the MBC.

Pros

I like the built in simulator that enables us to analyze the results fast and easy. Also love that we are able to share it with our clients. It looks so professional (windows based) and our clients appreciate that we are able to deliver this as part of the project.

Cons

A few downtime when I'm rushing something. It takes sometime to get used to the software and learn the various functions. I'm not sure if the least fill functionality is already in place but we need that most of the time.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

The conjoint...we know that Sawtooth is well known for the conjoint functionality.

Alex from Junicon

Sawtooth Software

I conduct around 10 conjoint projects per year, and have used the looping feature to make very complex studies manageable.

Pros

This is the goto software for Conjoint Analysis. Very flexible platform that is approachable for basic needs and can be customized by advanced users. Documentation and resources very thorough, the team seems to be proactive about helping users.

Cons

Steep learning curve for advanced use if the users do not have a strong background in mathematical logic and basic computer programming. The documentation is good, but there could be a better way to pull the most popular topics from the online forum into a secondary documentation center. It would also be nice to be able to run batch commands.

John from MarketView Research

Lighthouse Studio Review

Overall good experience and I would recommend and continue using myself.

Pros

MaxDiff and general ease of use. I will be using the simulator as well once I have a better handle on it.

Cons

Can be pretty expensive, and support can be challenging.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

I have both.... XLSTAT great with some features where Sawtooth not ideal. But for higher level analyses such as MaxDiff & DCM would prefer to use Lighthouse. COST is the biggest hurdle-

Allan from BuzzBack LLC

My Review

Love using the tool. Makes my life easier.

Pros

Cons

No way to produce results by subgroups. Would like to be able to save the results from the iterations.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

Just overall a better product. Easier to use. Better support. Run by the people who developed and expanded this approach

Andrew from Quadratic

Powerful, thoughtful, and easy to use

Pros

I have saved so much time with Sawtooth because it's programming platform and analysis capabilities are so powerful. Many pain points using DIY survey platforms are gone now that I am using Lighthouse more frequently. Many times it feels like the software has read my mind by providing easy solutions and options to fit my needs. At first I thought the software was going to difficult to use because it doesn't look as snazzy and modern as some other platforms, but it is very user-friendly.

Cons

No cons so far. I'm still learning the software though and will be using it for more clients moving forward.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

We are actually using SurveyGizmo and Lighthouse Studio, but I chose Lighthouse over Qualtrics because it was more affordable, more powerful, and I trusted Sawtooth more than Qualtrics. Anytime I deal with Qualtrics I feel like they are just out to make money. It's like going to a car dealership or mechanic. Sawtooth seems to genuinely care about me as a user and helping me do my best work.

Vijay from Trinity

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Great could be greater

Pros

More user friendly than others to run design and optimizing outputs

Cons

Software glitches and would be great if outputs can be customized (zero centered utilities)

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

Most recommended for specific needs (product conjoint)

Prashanth from Stax Inc.

Powerful Tool, steep learning curve

We program surveys to gather market insights for our clients.

Pros

Hands down sawtooth is the most powerful tool for survey programming out there. While more competitors are not incorporating some of the advanced functionalities into their platforms, sawtooth is still well ahead on most aspects.

Cons

There is a steep learning curve. You need to be pretty comfortable with a lot is scripting etc in order to unlock the full potential of it. So definitely not the go to tool for a novice or a very simple survey.

Tyler from Engine Group

Great Overall Product

We are using Lighthouse to bring advanced analytics to our clients.

Pros

It is a very straight forward and easy to use product. The GUI is great and make intuitive sense. It has a wide variety of analytical power and techniques that we can be leveraged and interpreted easily.

Cons

The only problem I ever have with the software is appending data (such as subgroups) to loaded file. I often mess up and screw up my data and it is very frustrating. The tool for doing so is the only part of the interface that I have a problem with. Also would prefer the option to not have the program change every single change I make in real time. There have been times I made a change that wasn't what I wanted and it has been problematic since I couldn't just reload from the last starting point. Its one of those features that is convenient only when everything is going right.

Kallen from Cicero Group

Highly Customize-able, Clear Software

My preferred software for survey crafting. The ability to customize and the wealth of knowledge in the community allows for almost everything I want programmed to be programmed. I have legitimate fun when programming through Lighthouse.

Pros

The capacity for customization, especially if you know JavaScript and CSS. Easy to navigate UI. Easy to transfer text from another source (especially text in tables to create answer options). The forums provide answers to a lot of questions you might have for more customized stuff, and the general Lighthouse help manual has a lot of easy to parse information. Helpful customer service with great solutions. Self-hosting ability.

Cons

Missing some question types and features found in other softwares. Steep learning curve. Hosting on Sawtooth's own server can be frustrating and overly complicated, especially with multiple users involved.

Julie from Clear Insights Group

Easy to use Survey Softwar

Overall it's been easy to work with, and the proactive development and bug squashing is great.

Pros

Ease of data output. The robust data output options make it easy to pull data for multiple reports and client needs from the same data set at the same time. The ability to recode the data responses by question makes using the same response list between questions painless, even in situations when the same response text has different codes across different questions.

Cons

Grid rows can't be named. There are times when some questions need to be presented in a grid format, but the only thing the questions have in common are their responses, and the names for these variables have to be changed in another software package, as there is no way to change these labels within the grid.

Luke from Hiner & Partners, Inc.

Outstaning Customer Support and 1st in Conjoint Design and Analysis

I've been using their survey software since 2001 and I would not consider using another survey software platform.

Pros

This software is very easy to use and has many built-in features that make programming surveys extremely easy. The tools for conjoint design and analysis are the best in the industry--I wouldn't use any other platform for conjoint. We use Lighthouse Studio for all of our general survey programming needs as well. If you do run into any issues their customer support is the *best* customer support I have every experienced in the software industry.

Cons

Some very advanced functions require Java or Perl coding and that can get tricky. But these situations are rare and they give good examples of how to implement those functions. They also have a great user forum that is very helpful in these situations.

Sudhakar from SRI

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Pros and Cons

Excellent! Built-in modeling features are easy to use and simplify our work

Pros

Advanced analytics features such as MaxDiff, ACA, CBC are very useful from Sawtooth. In addition, the ability to customize the survey beyond the built-in features is great.

Cons

It is somewhat pricey, however, it is comparable to other programming software.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

Modeling features, thought leadership from the senior team members, and easy-to-use features.

Jay from Information Specialists Group

Industry: Market Research

Great overall product with unbeatable customer service!

Pros

I like that it is relatively easy to use and customizable for enhanced use. There are a lot of add-on customized scripts available for use as well.

Cons

There are some features that are not available out of the box that I've seen in other similar software. It would be nice to have it offer everything it's competitors do.

Scott from CRA

A powerful software tool that supports our business

Global consumer research in a variety of categories. The tool is flexible enough to support that variety.

Pros

Easy to use, very fully featured.

Cons

My only gripe with Sawtooth is that new versions are not tested completely enough. We wait post a release for weeks to see if some other org finds bugs before we use it. A complete test set would eliminate this. Costly but what is a quality reputation worth?

Brian from Putnam Associates

Ease to learn, easy to teach

Pros

Honestly, the thing that blows me away from Sawtooth is their support. The software is very intuitive, but if you have questions, you can get answers from A) a real person with expertise or B) their very extensive and active product forum.

Cons

I can't really think of anything. I'm a huge fan

VEYSEL from Sia insight

User friendly & Valuable

My favorite tools for my job. I used several different tools but the Lighthouse is very strong and useful.

Pros

Easy to use, very handy customization and powerfull

Cons

Regarding customization needs high level perl and java experience.

Reasons for Choosing Lighthouse Studio

The lighthouse packs inculding several tools. The others offers seems light version. I need commercialized and high level experince as well.

Jakke from Jegan Research Associates

Industry: Market Research

Its just too good. User friendly

Loving it.

Pros

Just like everything. Options are so good. Even if we do not have any idea of few fuctionalities, there will is a help page which includes everything. So many advanced features and its keeps getting better and better with the new features in new versions.

Cons

Not many for now. So cannot say something as least.

Jaclyn from Radius Global Market Research

Industry: Market Research

Don't know what we'd do without Sawtooth

Pros

The software has a very user-friendly interface, the customer support is pretty great, they are always releasing updates to the software to fix bugs.

Cons

It can be buggy, each new version released seems to come with some host of new bugs. When reaching out to Sawtooth they try to release a patch to fix it

Ishara from Stax Inc

One of BEST survey programming platform

I am using Sawtooth software over the last 6 years. I have evaluated other programming platforms. However, Lighthouse Studio has all necessary features to program and share a survey.

Pros

Dynamic flow/piping/looping, Conjoint, find and replace, free format question type

Cons

It is great if you can optimize more look and feel for mobile users

Curtis from Radius Illumination

Indispensible

Pros

We primarily use the analytics portions of Lighthouse. It's easy to use and highly customizable so when we have out of the box needs, we can usually figure out some way to modify things for our needs.

Cons

We don't use the fielding piece often - except when we do ACBC. I don't love having to add in Perl script or modify CSS. As marketing scientists, we would end up spending a lot of time doing trial and error trying to work through aspects that are just not part of our core skill set. That said, to have the customization that I mentioned previously, it's probably necessary to move away from completely templated or drag-and-drop approach.