• Pros

• "I liked how the surveys set up differently from other programs but was not completely foreign."

• "Ease of use - you can set up surveys quickly and easily and also view results in anyway you prefer. "

• "We've only just started using SmartSurvey but so far it seems like a great survey product which meets our needs. "

• Cons

• "There is not much not to like. The surveys are quick to set up and easy get results."

• "It doesn't seem possible to customise the formatting of text within a question (italic, bold, paragraphs etc.); this would be a useful tool."

• "One or two question formats that I wanted to use that I couldn't find a way of achieving."

Browse SmartSurvey Reviews

Chris from Caspar-Health

Customized Surveys for Healthcare

Pros

It's easy to create customized surveys, including scorings that are necessary for healthcare usage.

Cons

The overview about the different pricing options is confusing and should get a rework. On the other side customer support was helping a lot.

Reasons for Choosing SmartSurvey

The legal aspect is very clear and mentioned by SmartSurvey and fit completely our needs.

Carlos from Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola

Excellent for student research

Very positive

Pros

It has all the features necessary for academic research and it is flexible with its plans. This is especially important for students and individual academic researchers. Ans it's very easy to use and it gives a professional appearance to the survey.

Cons

I had no issues, except for not knowing how the program classified complete and incomplete surveys, so I had to write and the following morning I had the answer to my question.

Reasons for Choosing SmartSurvey

The other products offer academic pricing but you have to pay for a whole year, instead of just the time you need it for.

Ashwyn from UKBlues Federation

Industry: Music

SmartSurvey, smart choice

It did exactly what we wanted it to do at a reasonable price. We even got a discount as a not-for-profit.

Pros

Easy to use, versatile, flexible and provision of useful and easily worked with statistics/data

Cons

Sometimes it was a little difficult to find some settings.

Reasons for Choosing SmartSurvey

It was the best value offering what we needed.

Response from SmartSurvey

Replied July 2020

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review Ashwyn, your feedback is much appreciated :) Kind regards, Neil

Allison from Moon Juice

SmartSurvey does not meet design requirements.

Pros

SmartSurvey is a platform that does have very good functions to be considered one of the best in the market of surveys, however, it should be stressed that this platform is very good to maintain opinions with a better status.

Cons

SmartSurvey does not fulfill what it promises, because when you go to the registration page, the design is very nice, but when you finish the registration, they send you to a page where nothing that was previously seen is like that, since they give a design horrible with colors that do not attract attention.

Peter from The Ingenious Fox

Fantastic survey software

Fantastic. I think they called me once to check it was all okay, but that was literally a question as to whether there was anything they could do. The rest of the time, the site worked perfectly, downloads of the data were simple. Bottom line is it worked as they said it would and you cant ask for more than that.

Pros

So simple to set up the questionnaires Easy for participants to access (multiple ways to access the site- QR codes, weblinks etc) Brilliant behind the scenes options- things like being able to annonomise respondents by removing IP addresses was a huge benefit for my study and meant i was able to make sure i didnt breach any GDPR requirements

Cons

There is nothing about this that i feel is a con.

Danny from Essity

Great software

Very satisfied. Would highly recommend

Pros

Easy to use with lot of analytical features Cant save multiple views and cut data any way you want

Cons

Chart function is limited Vest to export to excel

Response from SmartSurvey

Replied July 2020

Hi Danny, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review it's much appreciated. With regards to your feedback on charts, we have a whole new results and charts section currently in development so you should see a significant upgrade to that part of the platform in the next couple of months. A couple of highlights are: A new cleaner UI Being able to filter, save and share views Select different types of charts and customise them too. Many thanks, Neil

Andrew from Integral

Creating a questionnaire

Pros

Once you had navigated through the web page the software was easy to use. There were the options of using question templates but you could also make your own. The graphical diagrams of the results enhanced the content of my dissertation.

Cons

It took a couple of attempts to navigate the website to create the questionnaire. To create diagrams, charts etc you are required to upgrade to get this facility.

Response from SmartSurvey

Replied July 2020

Hi Andrew, Thankyou for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback is much appreciated! Kind regards, Neil

Abhijeet from Affluent Technology Ltd.

Online Survey Champions

I would say I had satisfactory experience with SmartSurvey overall, will definitely use SmartSurvey again in the future if required at work.

Pros

I used this software to create an online survey for my master's thesis. It was very easy to use and helped me creating an effective survey in a short period of time. I used the pro version so I used the data presentation tool to create graphs and pie-charts for the answers provided by the participants for each questions. I found that data export tool (5 Stars) very useful and effective.

Cons

Once I created the survey and launched it online, I realised that there could be certain changes needed in some of the questions. I could only change some questions whereas other questions weren't amendable. I didn't like that I was not able to make necessary changes to the questions.

Laura from Goughs Solicitors

Great simple solution for the price

Good. Ease of use and efficiency has hugely helped us respond quickly and gather data effectively.

Pros

This software is extremely easy to use and set up. Overall we're very happy with it.

Cons

The reporting and downloads could be improved, but perhaps are better with a higher package, we have the basic.

Response from SmartSurvey

Replied July 2020

Hi Laura, Thanks so much for leaving a review your feedback is much appreciated. You will be pleased to hear that we currently have a new reporting interface in Beta which we hope will be released to all users soon. This will provide much-enhanced filtering capability and updated UI to the results section of the app. We are also working on new chart types and the ability to customise charts which we hope will launch in the next quarter. Thanks again for taking the time to leave a review. Kind regards, Neil

Natasha from EMPOVA Consulting Ltd

Highly recommend

My overall experience with SmartSurvey has been frictionless, allowing me to efficiently complete my work activities

Pros

The ease of use and the features such as analytical insights, alongside confidence that all of the data I am collecting is GDPR compliant

Cons

Nothing. The software is easy to use and customer support is available if required.

Customer service GDPR compliance

Response from SmartSurvey

Replied July 2020

Hi Natasha, Thanks so much for your review. It's really pleasing to hear you have found the software easy to use and you have been happy with your experience overall. Kind regards, Neil

Nicholas from Green Science Policy Institute

Quick to start, good support, but it can also take some time to figure out all the details

Pros

I've been using SmartSurvey for social science research for about 6 weeks now, and agreed to write a brief review and first impressions of the product and my experience using it in return for a not-for-profit discount on the product. I'm using the service to conduct open-ended social scientific questionnaires about how online communities help people care for those with chronic health conditions, and have so far found SmartSurvey to be quite a nice way for doing so. It allows me to post links to surveys within online communities and efficiently each a globally distributed population. I was originally attracted to the product because I needed a service provider that adhere to EU data privacy laws but offer a product that is in English (since this my native language and the common language of my respondents). A lot of the US providers could not meet the requirements, especially regarding data deletion. SmartSurvey quickly responded to a question I had on this account and told me they could guarantee that upon request, survey data would be deleted from active servers within a week and from backups within 30 days. Most US providers could not come close to guaranteeing this. While you can get a basic survey going quickly, there is a lot of customizability on the back end, and this can take some time to learn. My experience is that documentation is good and support tickets I have submitted have always been answered promptly and helpfully.

Cons

One example of the tool's behavior that takes some getting used to so this is not so much a con as a part of the tool that is a bit more complex and takes more time to learn is the anonymous response function. This function hides respondent IP and geographic information from responses when activated. However, if it is off, and then someone responds, and you then turn it on, the system seems to continue to log the information, although it hides. You can then turn the setting back off and reveal all this information. This means a survey is not a truly anonymous UNLESS you design it so from the get go. Similarly, it is possible to activate both the complete it later function, which lets respondents save incomplete surveys by entering a name and email (identifying information that allows them to receive a unique link). But this identifying information will only be permanently hidden if you set the anonymous response feature to on before your first response. Otherwise, the complete it later function undoes the anonymous response setting. So make sure you peruse the full set of privacy features before opening up your survey to respondents so that the settings are correct before you begin. (Also, if you are testing features, be sure to start with a fresh, unopened survey, rather than just changing features on a survey that for which you have already gathered test responses.)

Pamela from Local Authority Building Standards Scotland

Fantastic! Exactly what we need to be able to collate information effectively.

Pros

The ease of use and simplicity of the programme. I am creating the surveys on behalf of Local Authority Building Standards Scotland. We are currently looking at our membership and require to see if we are currently meeting their needs and where we need to improve. Smart survey as a tool to be able to collate this information is fantastic and the fact that it produces the tables and diagrams for you and makes us as a group move on from the spreadsheet and having to interrogate the information provided saving on valuable man hours as the admin and management team are put together from staff from the 32 Local Authorities and this is not a job we are paid to do this is just for us to hopefully in Scotland improve the services we provide to the customer. We issued our 1st survey at the beginning of February and still have 2 weeks for it to run but it is brilliant seeing the information coming in and being able to see we are making progress and that we are not to far of the mark. The way it is presented is very easy to analysis with lots of tools available to assist. If stuck customer helpline is exactly what is says on the tin help...no question to small or silly.

Cons

There are some questions that need to be adapted but on discussion I was told there are ongoing developments (matrix questions in multiple answers currently all fields require to be completed even if the response is zero - a default of zero if not completed would be perfect)

Charles from Crouch End Neighbourhood forum

Extremely easy to use questionnaire software, suitable for both small and large organisations

Affordable, flexible questionnaire design, administration and management

Pros

It is very easy to set up a questionnaire, and there is a very good range of question types and answers. Images and video can be embedded in a question, broadening the design. The design-test-redesign cycle is well implemented. The whole questionnaire can be easily branded to give a unique look. Deployment is simple, and with multiple versions easily set up. Usefully for a forum, it is possible to produce a print copy of on-line survey with ease, so that the same questionnaire can be used on street stalls or visiting where online use is not possible or low. There is also support for publishing links to the survey via social media such as Twitter or Facebook. Analysis facilities are good, with basic summaries and a frequency count of answers immediately available. This aids continuous tracking of the survey. There are good export features, so data can be moved to Excel or R for more detailed review. I found this a very useful software suite and can wholeheartedly recommend it. The speed at which a survey can be prepared and sent out, and distributed via a variety of means such as email lists, social media or web sites makes it a very effective tool for carrying out a wide variety of consultations, such as in planning and community surveys. Local authorities would benefit from a slightly more expensive version that could allow them to get to know their community views in greater depth.

Dan from Auto Windscreens

A very good system for NPS

We can now see our customers responses instantly and this help the business to identify trends quickly. Dependent on what package you have the option to change/add to your surveys without having to go via the support team is very beneficial. The sales team did not try and over sell and didn't put any pressure on us to make a decision if we wanted to buy.

Pros

The system is easy to use and we could quickly navigate around it to create and update our surveys. The staff are always polite and helpful and the response to queries raised are answered very quickly.

Cons

The help guides are good but a few questions we have had are not covered which means a call or ticket being raised. Not easy to add more than one logo onto the survey (co-branding) and instruction from help line was just trial and error.

Reasons for Choosing SmartSurvey

Suited our needs and cost

Robin from Infobahn Softworld

Satisfactory surveys with verified information

Pros

This is the only survey which verifies the demographic information of the attendee of a survey that is created thus making it more legitimate.

Cons

Because it is free it is also used by fraudsters creating scams, we advise them to make it more secured.

Suzanne from Clarion Housing Group

Easy to use product, with great customer service

High quality surveys are straightforward to put together and send to a large number of people.

Pros

We are using SmartSurvey to gather views from both our employees and our customers. We have set up a few surveys now, collecting responses in the form of free text boxes, radio buttons and drop downs. The dashboard is easy to navigate. It is helpful to have the option to use pre-programmed questions and our own corporate template. The response formats are professional and the skip logic is easy to implement. There are comprehensive online guides for each stage of creating and using the survey. Where we needed additional help, the customer service was prompt.

Cons

Response from SmartSurvey

Replied November 2017

Hi Suzanne, thanks for your feedback. Re your query about customising the formatting of text within a question - when you go into edit a question, there is an 'enable editor' button in the bottom right hand corner that turns on all the standard formatting features, such as bolding and italicising etc. Hope that helps.

Sara from Concord College

SmartSurvey is very easy to use and we use it regularly

I write lots of stories for our Alumni Community. I use SmartSurvey to set up typical Q&A for people to fill out so rather than emailing people the questions every time I simply direct them to the Smart Survey URL (which you can customise).

Pros

Cons

I have yet to find anything I don't like.

Amy from ANW Coop

Have filled out survey's using this app/software. Easy to navigate and fill out.

Giving information I thought was important to the organization asking for the input.

Pros

It was easy to navigate as a user. I don't have any experience at the other end of those seeking information.

Cons

I did not have any cons as a user. Screen was a good size, easy to read and easy to flip through pages. Length was determined by those seeking information and sometimes this was long.

Yvonne from Federation for Industry Sector Skills and Standards

Straightforward online survey system with great customer support

Ease of use, competitive price, helpful customer support, ease of reporting and ability to develop surveys that are unique and tailored to our requirements.

Pros

When initially looking at options for an online survey tool, SmartSurvey offered by far the best service for a competitive price. When enquiring about the service the customer service answered all of our questions and we signed up with multiple accounts. Many people have accessed SmartSurvey and no one has had any difficulties in creating surveys or analyising them. The ease of use and expert customer support is great service.

Cons

Having used SmartSurvey for a number of years now we have not had any issue or found anything we 'least' like.

Sarah from Chelmsford Education Network

Excellent customer service, brilliant survey tool and great value

Huge increased ability to canvass our existing client base, plus the potential to canvass a wider group. We can use this software for course/service/event feedback, to assess the demand for future courses/services, to understand how schools manage certain functions with a view to best-practice sharing opportunities. Surveys are far quicker for school personnel to complete than lengthy responses to emails or opening and completing email attachments. As such response rates have been vastly improved.

Pros

Customer service - quicker, more cohesive and proactive than other survey vendors we approached. The system is extremely easy to navigate and the option to use/view pre-populated questions was very useful. Data Output - the responses are very easy to read and quantify, meaning both at a glance and indepth analysis can be performed very quickly.

Cons

I'd perhaps like there to be more options for the background choices on the Pro version - as its designed for professional users I felt it would benefit from a greater range of choices. This was a minor complaint though !

Andrew from POINT

A great experience in setting up the account with SmartSurvey. Team are very friendly and can be con

Pros

Very Accessible visually and the navigation and editing functions are really user friendly. The team at SmartSurvey were really helpful, approachable and importantly can be contacted with ease.

Cons

Getting used to the system still and wanting to get more creative so need to understand how some of the functionality contributes to the overall impact of surveys. Would like to have option to download data directly in to powerpoint. To be honest this is really picky because you have to highlight cons on the review, but to be honest don't have any grumbles at all!

August 2016

Jackie from Collinson Group

August 2016

Really intuitive to use and great customer support

Easy to use despite loads of features - offers great value for money compared to other tools and has first class support.

Pros

Easy to use, great functionality and adding new features all the time. Multi-language support is great and the servers are in the UK so Safe Harbour isn't an issue.

Easy to use even for beginners

the ease of creating surveys quickly and the ability to create and collect results very quickly which was convenient for me

Pros

i came across this site when doing my dissertation when i was weighing up my options on which platform to use, with this one i found that like some of the others it was one which is very simple and easy to use and gave the user a lot of control over the layout of the service and the format of the questions that can be asked and even as a beginner knew to this i was able to glide through the navigation and have a good play around with all of its features and found it was pretty easy to create services gather results and even export and downloa the results in different formats

Cons

sometimes you would like to format text of the questions for example if i wanted to bold something that was important for some reason i had a problem doing this and had to just leave it out but it just didnt work

Teddy from PABC

Surveys When Needed

If you're needing to survey a group of people, this is a fantastic way to do so. Easy breezy.

Pros

I use this software when I need to send out short surveys to our committee members. It took me a bit to get the hang out creating the survey, but other than that it's been great.

Cons

It took me a but to figure it out. That might be a user error on my part, nothing wrong with the software.

Response from SmartSurvey

Replied December 2018

Hi Teddy, Thank you for taking the time to review our software! We are really pleased to hear that it has been effective for you when distributing your surveys to a group of people. We are interested to hear a bit more about how you found its ease of use, and which parts you found not to be clear so that we can make strides to improve these for any future use. Thanks, SmartSurvey.

Lisa from Eljay Research Ltd.

Easy to use with a great end result!

Pros

It's a dream to use and there is a steadfast back up team to answer any questions you may have. The templates are great - very professional

Sarah from Malvern Hills AONB

Great, user-friendly survey platform

The need to upgrade to access all features such as exporting the data to excel, but this is entirely understandable.

Pros

We have used other survey platforms before, but have found that smart survey offers the best value and is very user friendly. A great way to gather data and feedback. We will continue to use their service.

Paul from TEAM Academy Trust

A very good overall experience . Easy to set up and retrieve information.

Ability to easily survey our population groups and drill down on areas that are perceived to need improvement or are strengths

Pros

Good interface with attractive options for survey Very easy to set up and publish Give good information of analysis with good range of display and presentation options.

Cons

Very few. May benefit from a little more online help in setting up some aspects such as how to filter to receive specific information.

David from Cranleigh School

Up and running quickly, easy to create survey, excellent support.

Allowed us to carry out one aspect of our pupil voice quickly and easily.

Pros

The user experience is excellent - it was very straightforward to create a form, preview it, test it and then extract the results. Every type of form field I wanted was available and the interface made it easy to create the forms I wanted. Support was excellent too - there's a good FAQ available but if not, support replied usually on the same day and often within a couple of hours.

Cons

Storing the forms in the folder structure needs a bit of work. At the moment I can only have one folder level - at least two levels of nested folders would make it easier to keep things in order. I have put this in as a feature request.

Lisa from King's College London

Easy to use survey tool

Pros

Smartsurvey is easy to use, has friendly staff support when needed, and complies with our data protection regulations by assuring we remain the data controllers and storing the data on UK based servers.

David from The Hayesbrook School

Great survey tool

It was great to be able to survey the school quickly

Pros

Easy to create rules such as if answer yes on question 1 it can skip to another question

Cons

It did take me a while to work out what things did

Cost

Alexandra from Keele University

Excellent product

I have found this product extremely easy to use - I have used it myself to collect all kinds of survey data and also used it in teaching with students, who find the set up very easy to operate and have designed great surveys using a range of different response forms and mechanisms. The templates for each question are particularly useful.

Pros

Templates for question types

Cons

Skip logic is a little complex at first

Roland from Hayfield Sustainable Transport Ltd

Surveying transport demand

We ask rail commuters to take part in a survey by giving them a card at the station with a QR code on it. It is very useful to be able to modify the survey so we can correct for unexpected issues and so we can use the same cards at more than one station.

Pros

Skip logic has been very useful to save the respondents from going through unnecessary questions, it gives the survey a professional edge. We will continue to use Smart Survey

Cons

When skip logic is used the page and question numbering is out of sync.

Reasons for Choosing SmartSurvey

Nicer to use, free to try.

Alla from cms

SmartSurvey

I have never had any issues using this program for surveys.

Pros

I am a teacher and we are supposed to fill out surveys all the time. SmartSurvey is a good way to go, for sure.

Cons

It might take some time to learn how to create surveys using this program. It's easy to use it though.

Stephen from St Augustine's RC High School

Smart Survey has been an invaluable tool for our school saving time, money and paper

Easy to use.

Pros

Easy to use UK based servers Good interface Can change the colour scheme and add a logo Very pleased with the product

Cons

We have not had any issue with the software. I would like to see the software developed to include the facility to create quizzes for schools.

Lorne from Solent University

Industry: Research

Great for research

Very satisfied overall. Great for my graduate research!

Pros

Easy to use, simple interface, great report options

Cons

Some of the output of tables and charts could use a bit more work as the resolution and sizing is sometimes spotty.

Tom from Uni of Nottingham

Industry: Market Research

Student Experience with Smart Survey

Pros

- The interface is so intuitive to use, it took my minutes to set up a survey form for my undergraduate charity research project. - All the responses are collated in realtime on your dashboard - Multiple people can respond to the survey at the same time and, if you need to, several times per device

Cons

Nothing - it is awesome and does exactly what survey software should do.

Melissa from Self Help Enterprises

Great Information Gathering Product

Great new tool for our organization to use when conducting classes and trainings!

Pros

SmartSurvey is great for gathering data and encouraging participation from clients. Love the ease of use.

Cons

Based on my use, I did not find any real issues with the software. A longer free trial period might encourage more use since it will allow new users to really grasp how convenience this tool can be.

Anne from HomeStart Aberdeen

So simple! I was able to jump right in, set up my survey and gather the responses with ease.

I wish to gather anonymous feedback and be able to collate and distribute a report via email. Both were done with ease.

Pros

Its intuitive and easy to use. I wanted to gather views anonymously in advance of a board meeting and to collate the responses at the touch of a button for distribution by email in advance of the meeting. I was able to do both with ease. The report was impressive even in its simplest form.

Cons

I set up survey and also completed it and found it all straight forward but some of fellow responders had a few issues. They were unable to access the survey again or were unable to resume where they left off. Not sure if that was my fault in that I didn't pay enough attention to the settings or if access via a laptop is perhaps a better option than in iPad. I've only done one survey, although we would hope to do them regularly so still have much to learn around functionality.

Gayle from MiBudi

Honestly didn't expect the functionality to be so comprehensive - and extremely easy to use

Very positive results providing me with a clear overview of what customers are looking for in my product.

Pros

It was so very easy to navigate around the website, compiling the survey questions and making changes etch was so very easy, but the outcome of results exceeded my expectations - I was expecting to have to put some work into compiling the results at the end but it done all the work for me. Being able to export to excel and word was an absolute bonus. This was for a personal project of my own but I will be implementing it in my work for auditing purposes.

Khalil from AmurProperty

Great app to gather the information

I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to gather information

Pros

this is one of the most amazing apps that allows you to gather the information on the internet with very easy way

Cons

it is almost one of the best software available for gathering information to let you make the decision need to be more famous tho

Nicola from Keele University

Great survey software

This is a great product for collecting large amounts of data and it is very easy to use as a researcher. The surveys are easy to design and edit and the guidance is very straight forward to follow. There are a variety of options that ensure that it can be designed to match your needs, which is ideal! I also like that it is user friendly for people taking part in the surveys. Overall, a great online survey product!

Emma from Keele University

Simple and effective

Survey design is intuitive with a variety of possible question formats. Editing is simple and you can easily check the functionality of your surveys before use. Data collection and export is effective.

Pros

Intuitive survey design and simple editing.

O from DBEIS

Easy to use, intuitive

I found creating the survey easy to use and intuitive. There were a large range of question types (multiple choice, single answer etc), allowing you to tailor the survey to your needs and keep it interesting for respondents. The results can be exported as data, and there is easy analysis and easy filtering of results. Highly recommended.

September 2015

Jade from Leisure at Cheltenham

September 2015

Easy to use and has really great advanced features

I found this tool really easy to use even though I am not a very technical person. It was intuitive so when I needed more advanced features they were easy to find and use. One of my main concerns was data security and this software ticks that box for me because all my data is stored in the UK, they state that they are UK Data Protection Act compliant.

Marie from Marie Polley Consultancy

Industry: Research

Good product

a good research tool

Pros

good to have a flexible survey product where data is stored in UK, has a great range of feature that allows a range in questions and structures for a survey. Fast responses from customer support and good analytic features allowing data analysis of specific groups. Would recommend this.

Cons

Analysing aspects of the whole sample - filtering - took a little figuring out.

Matthew from Teesside University

Smart survey was very easy to use and navigate around.

Efficient capturing of data.

Pros

Finding the different aspects to use was very simple, the only time I did have an issue I contacted the support team and my issue was resolved very quickly.

Cons

I forgot to turn the key analysis feature on which was a slight inconvenience to me. I feel as though the key analysis feature should be automatically enabled and there to disable if the user wishes to.

Rob from Skills and Learning

I have found this product very easy to use.

Pros

This is an intuitive piece of software and is very clean looking and so easy to use. I have used a leading market competitor or many year and changed to be certain to meet new data protection requirements. I wish I had moved earlier

Cons

So far I haven't had any concerns. Some things weren't where I expected them to be but that is probably just changing from the competitor.

Paula from Wiltshire Health and Care

Efficient, effective, productive

Increased number of responses which has helped increase employee engagement.

Pros

I had previously used another online survey and found SmartSurvey much more intuitive and user friendly. Easy to share the survey to potential respondents. Able to analyse responses by a number of different factors which has enabled us to produce action plans to support continuous improvement.

Mark from Dudley Mind

Industry: Mental Health Care

Great survey product

It enables us to better support our clients.

Pros

Cons

Haven't spotted anything yet as such. Although I would suggest some initial set up support from SmartSurvey would be useful to help familiarize with the UI and the different product features, especially if like us you've never used any survey software.

Karen from Fish Lake Resorts