Browse Google Chat Reviews

Ahmed from TALABAT MENA REGION

Best Texting and Business Chat software

Overall experience with Google chat is great, It provides me professional usage for texting and connecting with my team mates as it's one if the apps that I am using and will not switch it off

Pros

The best in Google Chat that it's a professional chat used for business allows to add different type of documentation and connecting with any of the team members is easy and simple just add the mail address and start chatting

Cons

Google Chat need to have feature to manage calls directly without moving to Google meet so like this feature will be something awesome

Sohail from KP Bar council

Industry: Law Practice

Google Chat

Google Chats is a good chat option especially for Android users as it easily incorporates in other Google Apps.

Pros

Google Chat is an excellent software to communicate with friends and fellows. It is seen as a replacement and better version of Google Hangouts by google. It has a very pleasant and simple design. It offers multiple modes of communication like text chatting, audio and video calls. You can also initiate group call or chat among team member to use it as a collaboration tool. Along with chatting, you can also send files of any format with it easily.

Cons

Though technically Google Chat is not less than any of its competitors in any manner, but its smaller user base makes it a little less priority for users.

Reasons for Switching to Google Chat

Because google chat is better and improved than that.

Esther from Smart media company

Industry: Broadcast Media

Simple,efficient chatting tool

It's not very great like Google hangouts where it had better features.This app is only suitable for informing but not entertaining since it's hard to attach videos

Pros

It's importance of passing information to members of your same room. Its tight integration with other Google work space apps like Google drive. Easy collaboration in projects with other members. Free for workspace users.

Cons

It's difficult to attach multiple files in a single message. Hanging of chats when sending especially in a poor network set up. Help center isn't of great help when in need of any assistance.

Lindsey from Four Sisters Inns

Google Chat Makes Remote Work Possible

We began using Google Chat when our team moved to remote work in 2020. We now use it across our entire team to share quick updates, check in, ask questions, and avoid endless calls and meetings. It helps us stay productive, collaborate, and remain in touch while we work remotely.

Pros

We use Google Chat across all of our teams to quickly get information out or to share updates. It drastically cuts down on the calls, emails, texts, and even meetings that are required for our team because we can quickly and effectively communicate on Chat. The history makes it easy to go back in conversations if you forgot something, and it is super intuitive to use overall. I love that it is also easily accessible in mobile without having to download an additional app!

Cons

I wish it was a little more user-friendly in terms of sharing documents - but once we have shown our team how to do it they have all figured it out! I really don't have anything to add as this software is so great for our team.

Reasons for Choosing Google Chat

The integration with other software made the switch to Google a no-brainer for our team.

Google Chat is Free & Easy to Yse

Overall I like Google chat it’s free & easy to use while providing sense of privacy when you use this chat service.,

Pros

I like the fact that Google Chat is free & you also can keep a record of your chat history that is saved to your gmail account that you can always reference.

Cons

I don’t like the fact the spam messages & the fact they are not marked as spam. I constantly received messages from women soliciting the video content & the request comes in like you have a message.

Muneeb from Black Box Sounds.

Chat

Pros

1. ease of use of the software. 2. people can add each other through gmail i.d 3. ios and android apps are available. it can be used through browser. 4. its quite fast 5. there is not much lag when it comes to google chat 6. its safe and secure.

Cons

1. Google chat does not offer to change the font style and size. 2. Users cant send audio notes in google chat. 3. the emoji's are not so good looking

Simplicity for chat

Pros

So easy and clean to use. Use this for small projects and just chatting with friends. Easy to move from mobile to desktop anytime. Not burdened with extra features that you don't need.

Cons

Nothing except that Google is getting rid of it. WHY?!

Kory from Dallas SEO Dogs

If You Use Google Worksspace, Use Google Chat

The switch from Hangouts to Chat is great! We look forward to Google's continued enhancements of its products.

Pros

At first, the switch from Google Hangouts to Google Chat was alarming. Once we started using it, we discovered that we all love it even more than Hangouts. What we like the best is the features and functionality of the desktop app.

Cons

The only thing we like least about Google Chat is the separation of Chat and Spaces. Sometimes the Spaces (group) messages get lost in the shuffle.

Justin from Randstad Technologies

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Google Chat

Google Chat has been awesome in many ways and we all love it. I've been using it for just over a year and never had a problem.

Pros

Google Chat is one of my favorite things as it is easy to talk to my colleagues and pass along information.

Cons

No dislikes about this software. You can use it for your phone and computer.

Benny from IBI

Industry: Civil Engineering

Overall Impression

Pros

Not a bad messaging system, easy to use.

Cons

create an app to simply things would be better.

Christine from Stand Out 4 Mental Health

A user-friendly messaging tool

The app is free to use and is a cheap way for communicating with employees, especially, since I have employees who have the habit of ignoring text messages. I can send unlimited texts at no cost whatsoever, which is a very cost-effective way of communicating with employees.

Pros

I like it how easy it is to search for a contact within the chat. It also enables me set reminders, which keeps me on tabs of all the things I need to do throughout the day. The messaging app is reliable and very secure. It allows for all of us with Gmail accounts to interact seamlessly. It is a wonderful tool that has reduced the number of messages in my inbox. If I want my chatbox to read unavailable, I can easily sign out from the chat.

Cons

The pop up messages can be so distracting especially when concentrating on work. At times the messages fail to send and I cannot make out if its the internet connection that has issues or the app. At times the app can be too slow and groggy.

Reasons for Choosing Google Chat

It is free therefore very economical. As a company we can conduct group chats as well which is really nice.

Reasons for Switching to Google Chat

The user interface is more professional compared to whatsapp.

Jennie from J.F. Posthumus

Industry: Writing and Editing

Fun and easy to use!

Overall, google chat is a great product that fits in wonderfully with the entire Google product suite. You can easily copy/past from chat into a word document (though there is formatting issues to deal with; I typically go from chat to notepad then to word). It's user friendly, has an app to use on other devices, and you can use chat either inside gmail or as a "pop out", so the email page can be minimized (not closed!) and still use the chat box. Chats can be saved, so you don't have to worry about ever saving it and loosing it. I've been using gmail since it was by invite only, and have seen gmail grow, including the inclusion of the chat feature. It's definitely a product I would recommend to anyone.

Pros

Gmail Chat has been around for a good long time. It's a great tool if you're wanting to contact a fellow gmail user and strike up a conversation for work or personal use. I often use it to discuss the current novel I'm writing with my husband (who is my sounding board and listens to me prattle on about the corner I've written myself into). I've also used it to send links, grocery lists, recipes, etc. It's really easy to use: you sent an invite to someone using their email, phone number, or name. The other person gets the request, and they can either accept or decline it. If they accept (and are a fellow gmail user), they can immediately start chatting via text. Quick, simple, and very user friendly! Also, the chats are always saved (though you can turn that option off), and are searchable. (I've had to use that feature MANY times!)

Cons

There is a limit to the characters you can send. Since I frequently send stuff to the husband while writing, I often have to divide it up into sections. Same with anything else I send that is very long. I haven't used it for anyone that isn't a gmail user, so I honestly have zero clue how that would even work. The app for using it on an iphone is called "hangouts" and not "chat", so that can be confusing when you're trying to find the right app. But it works great once you find it, download and install it.

One of the best messaging tool

My experience overall is quite good with Chat. It provides a very user friendly messaging tool which has rooms and groups both. You can browse rooms as well and while joining any room, you can Preview the room and messages in it to make a decision whether to join or not. The overall functionality and features of 'rooms' are great and I find them very useful which in turn saves a lot of time and effort. Other all basic functions are present like mute notifications, online status. To add to it, you can also set push notification in case you are not available. Simple yet very useful feature. Then there's smart reply and desktop notifications feature too. Desktop notification is useful if you google chat window is not open. You can also block members. In conclusion, this is one of the best messaging tools which I have used and I would recommend this to everyone.

Pros

The interface of the tool is user friendly and very easy to use. Search is very simple and straight forward. Simply put the name of the person you want to chat with and results are displayed instantly using smart search feature. You can create various discussion rooms by inviting members. I never had any problem creating room , in fact once I have to create a room with a lot of members from different projects but never faced and delays or problems with it. You can create multiple threads in a room which is very useful feature. You can also customize name of the room as per your need and project. Then there are groups which are very similar to a group in any messaging app. You can add multiple people but it's a single threaded chat. this is basically a personal group and rooms are for primarily for project related conversations. Search feature is also useful and easy. You can also search individually in a room. The results are easy to obtain and very helpful. Furthermore, a great feature is, you can edit you messages. A lot of times we enter incorrect information in the message which can create confusion. You can edit it or delete as required by the user. I personally, find this feature very user friendly. You can also shared a file form google drive directly or from your desktop. Additionally, there's a shortcut for video meeting, which when clicked send video meeting invite and the best part, creates dial in number is automatically generated which saves a lot of time.

Cons

Apart from all the great features what I don't like about it is, Google chat and hangouts and not synced. When you delete something from chat it is still present in hangout. So, basically you you are still looking at the deleted information in hangouts which is not required. Another functionality which I miss from microsoft lync is that, you can not control other persons machine during screen share with mutual consent and continue with the discussion / transition. Except this, almost everything is great about this tool.

Leo from Microsoft

Chat provide the best communication with the aweasome video chat.

Chat is the best software for the communication purpose. I would really like this software because it is the most powerful messaging tool. The best thing that I really liked about it is that I can easily share the important information with the group video chat. Hence, for me it is the best tool for the communication and collaboration. It allow me to easily connect with my relatives, colleagues and team members.

Pros

Chat is so easy to use with the versatile features. We can easily communicate with each others at anytime and at anywhere in the world with the help of this efficient software. This software provide the best video communication services. The great advantage that this software provide us is that it makes the best communication by the instant messages, calling and the awesome video chat. It allow us to easily connect with the relatives, colleagues any team members. This software is also the most powerful messaging software. So, Chat software is a great for the fast conversation. The another advantage that this software provide us the great options for the direct messages to anyone and that's why Chat software is also a best source of communication.

Cons

The disadvantage of this software provide us is that it does not provide the best options for the audio and video calls and also messaging with the great collaboration. So, there are some features that are missing, so it should must enhanced the features. This software should also need some extraordinary options and then all the business companies get benefited from the Chat software. The another disadvantage of this efficient software is that it does not allow us for the video calls and conferences. But otherwise, it also provide the biggest benefit for us is that we can share all of our important information with the group video chat with our colleagues and team members.

Modern Enterprise Chat

Pros

One of the obvious competitors for Google Chat is the prevalent Skype (previously Lync) instant messaging application often bundled with Microsoft products such as Outlook and Office for ease of integration. Unlike Skype, Google Chat offers a more modern set of features. Foremost is the way in which content can be directly shared in the chat window such as images or image previews from URL resources. Rich content can simply be pasted directly into Google chat and seamlessly integrated into the conversation. In Skype, copy pasting an image results in the image being sent as an attached file which is disruptive and really negates the convenience of sending an image over IM versus more conventional means such as e-mail. Overall Google Chat offers a modern approach to enterprise instant messaging that simply works and works well.

Cons

One of the main concerns for Google Chat revolves around the precarious nature of Google long term product support. On the other side of the fence Skype users are migrating to a more Discord or Slack like application called Microsoft Teams. This next generation of application incorporates IM into a broader context that includes more robust moderation and content sharing capabilities. As of now, Google Chat is in a branding transition to be incorporated as Google Hangouts Chat which indicates that Google intends to stay in the IM application space, but its not clear what features will be updated to bring Google Hangouts Chat in-line with competing applications.

Andrew from Amazon

Google Chat Review

Chat has been great for our organization, especially during our work from home phase which makes communication easy but also has kept our team closer together and has allowed everyone to be accessible both at work but also at a personal-level. Without the day-to-day social interactions we were used to pre-COVID, Chat allows our team to connect and take care of each other at work and outside the office.

Pros

Google Chat makes communicating across teams super easy and efficient. It's incredibly easy to integrate and implement across different teams, verticals, and locales and is the perfect substitute for email when you are in a bind.

Cons

Since Google is accessible to practically everyone, there is little to not like about Chat, but the software can incorporate more features and functionality to make it an even more powerful tool. If other Google software was integrated into Chat (such as Sheets, Drive, or Docs) Chat could make more simple to transfer internal documents in a more efficient and seamless way.

Tara from Brainchild Design Studio

Easier than Skype

One of our group does not have a smartphone (hard as that is to imagine nowadays), so chatting with him on a computer is the best way to enjoy face-to-face communication. We tried Skype, Facebook messages, and Google Hangouts with varying success, but Google Hangouts Chat was the most reliable and by far the easiest to figure out—and it is completely integrated with other G Suite features, so file sharing and accessing contacts is effortless.

Pros

It makes chatting with my writing group very easy—while I'm reading their submissions in my Gmail, I can see if they are online, and I can shoot them a quick message in the moment. It is already part of the G Suite, so no extra programs need to be installed. At the same time, that means I can communicate with anyone who has emailed me without sharing other contact information. We were able to have three people involved in the conversation easily, and I enjoyed being able to turn off the view of myself.

Cons

Sometimes the video/ sound is intermittent, much the way Skype cuts in and out or a FaceTime call will freeze. I believe the speed of your internet connection and that of your companions plays a critical role.

Reasons for Switching to Google Chat

Skype was not more reliable in our past experience, and it required downloading/ installing an extra program that we didn't need.

Zuhairah from Shopee

Great quick messenger quality

My experience of more than 5 years using this software is wonderful and will continue working with it.

Pros

I use Google product a lot and this software is one of the best quick messenger software that i have use to communicate with my team. It can be integrated easily with other software like Google Calendar and Drive which make a speedy process to share files and document with my team directly from the messenger.

Cons

Nothing that i dislike with this software. It is free to use and included in the Google Workspace that we have use.

Reasons for Switching to Google Chat

I use Google Chat for more professional look and setting compared to WhatsApp.

Tyler from Freelancer

Industry: Graphic Design

Essential.

Pros

What's not to like? It's a chat function! It's very basic but I find it essential for dealing with colleagues. I work freelance right now, so am using it less these days, but in the past have worked in charities and it is essential to day to day communication with co-workers. It allows you to easily and quickly ask small questions without clogging up the inbox with unnecessary emails, and also without physically getting up and having to disturb people in the middle of their work day. I've been with orgs that have used project management software; they have been very expensive and in the end the only function we've really ended up using is the chat. GSuite already has that, and it's free.

Cons

It doesn't pretend to be anything different, but it's very basic. If Google expanded it even a little bit it could easily supplant things like Slack, which many people/organizations are currently making use of, as it allows for things like topic threads and easier group file sharing. I would love to see Google flesh this app out a bit more - as it is it is good, but it could be so much better.

Chat, a communication tool made by Google

We use this product for formal communication purposes and it's a simple to use product and has a very good user experience, because it's easy to use and we are solving a lot of business problems. We choose this product because we find

Pros

Chat is a good tool for communication, it has a perfect integration with all the GSuite Environment, for the price is a very good tool because you can use it with Hangouts, Drive and Gmail.

Cons

The only con that I found on this product is the price. In a small business probably is going to be expensive if you have 10+ employers, because this product has a price per user.

Reasons for Choosing Google Chat

Because has a better price per user and with a low price we acquired this product that includes Chat, Hangouts, Gmail, Drive and all the products of the Google Environment.

Bienvenido from In-Home Supportive Services - San Mateo County Health

Want simple way to communicate, use Chat by Google!

Overall, this software is awesome for simple messaging only! It consumes less bandwidth so if you want just to communicate without having audio or video then use this software.

Pros

When it comes to have leading innovation, it is definitely Google! From complex to simple software tool, it is pioneered by Google. Chat by Google is simple yet innovative way of communicating. I can consider this chatting software as small but really an indispensable software in the sense that by using this you can communicate instantly across the world. I think it is very useful to use in different establishments like what we our doing in our company. I can easily get in touch with other caregivers of our company though we are working from home. We can easily share the information from one another and it does not require high end device where you can install it. If you want simple yet useful software for chatting so it is Chat by Google.

Cons

Chat by Google is designed specifically for chatting. If you are looking for chatting tool that has audio and video features then don't install it. It is basically for text communication only and not for multimedia sharing of information. This software is definitely designed for basic chatting only!

Adra Safiya from Tesco Stores (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd

Simple and quick to use

Pros

Google Chat is free and very easy to use. There are no software needed to be install to start using it. It can be access directly from the Gmail account, and any available people that are in my contact list will be shown on the sidebar of the Gmail application. Really easy.

Cons

The application is too simple and sometimes i cannot find the tools that i need. There are no option to archive older chat and to sharing a files with other, i will need to be linked with Google Drive. It wasn't a bad thing, but i would prefer to be able to share the files directly from the chat head.

Great Cross Platform Chat Service

This is a great alternative to other more “popular” chat software. It does not require a mobile number to be used and best of all its free! I haven’t experienced any deal breakers and I will continue to use this.

Pros

It is extremely easy to set up once you have a google account. You can use this without a mobile device as well which helps me keep in contact with friends , coworkers and family for free. You also do not need a mobile number which is a massive benefit.

Cons

Not everyone is aware of it. This can be easily fixed if more people download and use it, but as of right now, I cannot use it to its full capabilities.

Guido from Different

Great chat app, if you don't care the sad interface

I use it daily in my agency to communicate with the internal teams of each project. It's easy and straightforward, you set it up in no time (it's integrated in our Google email accounts!).

Pros

Works everywhere (from mobile, desktop, tablet... really, anywhere!), flexible and powerful, it natively integrates with Google Drive so you can also transfer files very easily, rooms are easy to create and manage and they let you manage your projects and teams in an easy and elegant way.

Cons

The UX is ugly, as most of Google products. Notifications are not easy to set up and this is quite important for an instant messaging app.

Reasons for Switching to Google Chat

Google chat is free and included with our corporate Google account (though most of us in the agency prefer Slack ;) ).

Maria from Motion Ave

Great Communication Tool

My team loves it, and I do too. They are really happy with the migration from WhatsApp and Telegram to Chat because it allows them to focus more without the phone distractions and also separate completely their personal communication tool from the ones for the job.

Pros

It allows us to have constant and direct communication without invading the personal communications channels of our team. You can create all types of rooms you might need according to your team structure and use threads to maintain the different topics in each room so nobody misses anything.

Cons

You cant easily reply to a previous message or comment "tagging" it and you cant send voice notes I understand it makes sense as it is a working tool, but it would make some message communication more easily.

Juan Manuel from Melezca

Google Chat: Upgrading to Outdated Hangouts

My experience with google chat is satisfactory. I have been using its version of Hangouts for more than 3 years and this evolution shows that it is more worked. Not only at the interface level and its divisions between common chats and rooms, but also in the great addition of an option to be able to silence notifications for a certain time or to be able to add bots, such as Trello. Today this is the tool we use to communicate internally in the company. Highly recommended

Pros

Among the best options that Google Chat has is the possibility of adding own and third-party bots, being able to handle notifications and alerts so as not to be disturbed. Being able to have a full screen in another exclusive tab for chat. In addition, it no longer requires a separate application to use, since it is included within the gmail application.

Cons

It works really well and a lot of missing options were added, like you can share files or use bots. Perhaps as against it could be mentioned that even the system to create bots is not as complete as other messaging services

Reasons for Choosing Google Chat

We ended up selecting this option since the interface seemed much cleaner to us and additionally it came with other interesting add-ons for being part of the Workspace package

An Application With Some Problems, With A Lot Of Potential

While it is a chat application with many possibilities to be the suite of Google products, for the moment I think it has several points against it do not allow you to be up to the rest of the tools for chat. However, I still use it! ;)

Pros

The fact that this chat tool is 100% integrated to the suite of Google applications that we use in the company, makes everyday work with it very simple. It has the possibility of being used both from a PC (via web or through the standalone version) or from a mobile device.

Cons

Several points against: 1- the mobile version for Android does not solve the whole well to do with notifications, even more if it is used with the standalone version together. 2- The notifications in the mobile version take a while to arrive in comparison with other chat applications that we have used (HeapChat, for example). 3- The user interface and the actions that are carried out many times are not entirely clear until you learn them (for example: how to attach an image or document in a conversation, in which it is unclear what to send this document once attached to it). 4- The updates: they are very frequent and many times the session is lost when restarting the application after it.

Good but not great

It is a simple tool which lacks features and needs to work on tool designing.

Pros

I like the simplicity of the product. Its overall functioning is smooth , i guess the best part is that has access through gmail app on laptop and desktops so you don't have to switch over apps.

Cons

Chats does not pop out easily , the chat boxes are pretty small and designing of tools is not great. when you switch the history on , the instant notification goes to other user/users , there should be an option to stop that.

Eric from Borrego Solar Systems

Industry: Renewables & Environment

Great Chat Software

If you are looking for a way to interact with co-workers remotely, especially if you use other Google applications, then Google Chat is the way to go.

Pros

Google chat is very easy to use and offers multiple ways to interact with it. You can remain in the gmail window, you can have a separate chrome tab, or you can use the desktop chat app. Also available on mobile.

Cons

It is hard to find much to dislike, the old version was a little clunky, but the recent update fixed many of the old problems.

Company change

Great chat service for your Google account

This new interface allows many capabilities that the regular chat does not allow. It enhances the communication experience for Google account users.

Pros

Many tools added to this standalone chat application that allow a great communication experience. Chat bots, rooms, groups and individual chats have a great view and allows a smoother experience for users.

Cons

Jumping from that email chat to the Chat feature may be problematic, so you need to make sure that all users are using the same technology.

Robin from HotChalk

New Google CHAT for Gsuite

Early adoption participation is key. Without it, its just a simple internal chat. That works for some companies, but not most. The tool itself is clean and the layout is easy to use. Just waiting for Google to loosen the noose and allow other chat users that aren't on Google to participate in chats.

Pros

Be an early adopter for updates and features. This allows external chat, which is always a desired feature by end users.

Cons

It only allows you to chat with other Gmail/Gsuite users. Google is too restrictive on chat participants, which leaves people using other tools like RAMBOX to manage their chats and use accounts outside of the organization.

Gsuite evolution of products

Aatif from University of Sawat

Google Chat

I have been using Google Chat from quite some time and love it for its simplicity and providing multiple modes of communication with our contacts.

Pros

Google Chat has shown to be quite useful in terms of communication and marketing of products and services. communication with your clients and suppliers becomes simple using Google Chat functionality and features such as Groups, Broadcast Messages, Status Updates, and so on, regardless of how many people are involved as long as they all have it in their phone. Unlike most social communication platforms, where you have to deal with a large number of people you don't know, it let you communicate with selected circle or friends which is more convenient. Also it keeops your communications l encrypted which gives you a sense of security.

Cons

It hasn't gained the deserved popularity and mass adoptation yet because of which it is not possible to find as many of your contacts on it.

Wedy from The Weekend Gourmet

Google Chat -- Streamlining My Work Day

My personal experience has been great! Instead of calling someone to address a project-related question or issue rather than walk to their desk multiple times per day. I like getting my answers in real time -- and the ability to e-mail myself a chat transcript to refer back to later. I like to have work decisions in writing, and this feature lets me do that.

Pros

What I like best about Google Chat is how it allows me to communicate with my colleagues without having to leave my desk -- a time suck! I can talk with one person or a project-specific group. I like that I can address simple questions and clarifications almost instantly without having to leave my desk. My team can make sure we're on the same page via the group chat function

Cons

There is always the possibility that users will waste time chatting about non-work subjects using the Google Chat feature. I try to treat my staff like adults and trust them to not waste time or abuse the privilege of having Chat on their desktop.

Sung from Epitomics

Industry: Biotechnology

Simple and easy to use messaging platform, basic but get the job done!

Pros

Simple design makes it easy to understand makes it very intuitive and makes a easy to use chat program. Its integration with gmails makes it a very smooth process to switch back and forth between chat and email clients. The contacts are already loaded from your gmail client and make it easier to start chatting with those contacts right away. Also, due to the popularity of gmails, most users have gchat account and can be easily contacting using the gchat client.

Cons

Lack of advance features seen in other chat clients, such as notification on when the receiver of the message has ready the message or not. Video chat functionality is sometimes poor compared to other video chat clients, especially when the bandwidth is low. Can't do larger multiple user chat level similar to Zoom. Also, it is not really clear on how to share files or screen share with other users in the same conversation.

Christina from Peanut Media

Industry: Public Relations and Communications

This review is for Google Voice

Pros

What I like most about the Google Voice software is the ability to have a separate phone number connected to my active phone number to use for my company number. I was able to choose something that was easy to remember (at least I think) and completely dissociates Peanut Media from me when I need it to. Another reason it is great is that I can tell it to show me the number so I know it is a customer calling and I make it an importance to answer, especially because of the time we live in now, where telemarketers knows how to get local numbers and you get 20 calls a day.

Cons

I would love if there was a way to mask the call but also show you it is Google Voice calling? Like a notification that pops up as the phone number is calling so that there would be no need to mask the call with the phone number instead of showing the customer. It is completely Russian roulette when answering otherwise.

Integrated, Simple, and Still One of the Best

I've used Google Chat in various capacities since the 2000s, and continue to do so for personal communications. While other software packages have surpassed it for enterprise-wide use, its integration with the rest of the Google suite and its simplicity (not to mention its price) make it a go-to program for small businesses, friend groups, and other use cases.

Pros

The simplicity of Google Chat for both personal and business communications still sits it among the top of text communication software. While it lacks some of the group dynamics and project-based bells and whistles of competitor Slack, this program can still keep your company connected, wherever you are in the world.

Cons

There are better options. For example, at a midsize company -- especially one that might be spread across the country or the world -- Google Chat doesn't quite get the job done like competitors like Slack. It's still an extremely useful tool, but simplicity is a two-sided coin.

jose from datalink c.a

Since I've been using google chat I've had better communication with family and friends.

Pros

What I like most about google chat is that you can not only chat via text, but you can also do it in the form of voice chat video chat is excellent service on the goole platform and also provides a free service also is can send and receive images in real time I also like it because not only to use the chat has to be only a computer you can also do it from your smart phone is an excellent service thanks to google chat I can communicate with several people at the same time , as I can also make a video chat with several people at the time for me to have been the best software that has the Google platform I recommend it to the users so that their communication is much better.

Cons

What I do not like about Google chat is that it is not as private as, for example, the intelligent service of the United States has access to all conversations inside and through Gmail. At least that should be confidential. I do not like that they only have one client. for windonws 2000 because they should have more clients on that part are the things that I do not like.

We use G Suite including Gmail for our business email and we use the integrated G Suite Chat Daily.

As users of Gsuite and Gmail, it makes perfect sense to use Chat within the Gmail window for informal daily communications and collaborations.

Pros

We use Gmail for our business emails, so it is very convenient to have the integrated G Suite Chat available in the same tab and window of our browser. We will typically use Chat when it is more appropriate than sending an email for quick daily messages to keep our business running smoothly and efficiently. Chat allows us to quickly share status, have 1-1 and group conversations, share links and even quickly paste and send a screenshot. Chat is used daily by all business members, and chat logs can be optionally saved and searched later right within Gmail.

Cons

Chat messages that are send while the recipient is not online are usually not seen or noticed when the recipient does log on later. This is a major issue for Chat and makes it unreliable for important communications.

Aki from Givaudan

Industry: Chemicals

Google Chat - Real Time Communication of Google

I get what I need with Google Chat. As I am a fan of Google and its apps, I find this very much aligned with their minimalistic approach. I get real-time chat, I get file sharing, it does what it was tasked to do, so I am fully satisfied.

Pros

There was a time when Google named this as Hangout, but now they split Hangout into Meet and Chat. Like the usual Google offering, Chat has a minimalistic approach to real-time communication. Since it is Google, it is integrated with all your contacts. How I see it is that it can give you the basics of text chatting and file sharing, but not as advanced as WebEx and MS Teams and similar competitors. Having said that, Google Chat is fundamental, although good enough to give you the team collaboration spirit that you need.

Cons

Very limited features, just basic text and file sharing. So if you are used to MS Teams and WebEx or Skype, Google Chat looks very limiting.

Tyler from Randco Tanks

Amazing Chat for Connecting Teams

This chat has been great for our team. SMS group chats are the worst, so this smart messaging system was a solid switch. I wish there were some more chat features that Microsoft Team and Slack has, just need those faster. This software is clean and gets the job done.

Pros

easy to use Group chats keep you connected on specific topics or areas You can use GIF's making work convo fun. Bots for supporting software/automation.

Cons

Can't delete, turn off, or hide a chat thread. people can accidentally start a thread, confusing a chat room. Need to be able to call from Chat, either Dialpad or Google Voice. Need chat within Gmail (coming soon) Better controls on what people can and cannot do within a chat room. Maybe some Microsoft teams functionalities. Better GIF integration

Reasons for Switching to Google Chat

We were using dialpad, which is basically just an SMS group chat. So by switching to chat we got a lot more features and capabilities.

Elena from SHIFT

Google Chat ... Professional and Personal

Excellent!!! I've been using it forever and love it.

Pros

It's incredibly easy to use. Click the name of the person you want to talk to, and talk. More companies are using Gmail now, over Outlook, especially the more technically saavy companies. Something I find incredibly convenient as well is that you have everything in one place and easy access to it all - your chat for quick contact, email if you want to share documents, etc, the option for group hangouts, and your Google drive. All things I use on a regular basis and having them just a click away, rather than having to open up different programs/apps, is huge and a big reason why I love it. Convenience is key!!

Cons

I don't love when the look of it is updated, but that's just a personal "adverse to change once I know how to use it" preference and you have the option to set it back. So really, this isn't a dislike, just a thought :)

Another Google service that saved us money

Overall we are quite satisfied with the Chat offerings and I am sure they will continue to improve on the service.

Pros

I like the ability to create rooms specific to any necessary topic and to bring in both staff and outsiders to a specific space from which we can collaborate

Cons

We had some issues with the meetings early on but they have been ironed out. I would also love the ability to choose to not have the "Enter" button be the send option. All too often a message will be sent out by accident incomplete.

Reasons for Switching to Google Chat

We switched because it was an addon to our existing services which made it fairly seamless while at the same time it allowed us to eliminate 2 other services we had been paying for.

Lindsay from Jesus Film Project

Industry: Writing and Editing

I use it daily!

This is a must for healthy and convenient work communication! All teams need to be able to communicate quickly while working from home, but I also used it while working in the office too because it can save so much time when all I need is a quick response.

Pros

I cannot imagine working without access to chat. I rely heavily on this to be able to communicate daily with my coworkers, especially during pandemic life. And it's so easy to turn it into a video or voice call if needed. I also like that I can easily create group chats, take the conversation off the record, or search my email using keywords to see past chats.

Cons

I haven't had it happen as much recently, but there was a period of a few months when I was continually being logged out of chat and had to wait a few hours to successfully log back in. I'm still not sure what the issue was, but thankfully it seems to have resolved itself.

Steve from Toddy, LLC

Great for collaboration and comunication.

Keeping projects going and getting questions answered in real time.

Pros

Easy to get a hold of people you are working with and also start a meeting. Keeps the workflow simply and moving forward.

Cons

I don't like the constant updates. This can be cumbersome to install new items all of the time.

Reasons for Choosing Google Chat

It is a bit easier to use between devices and have the entire team participate.

Anvita from Freelance

Google Chat is Convenient

My overall experience with Google Chat has been incredibly positive! I would highly recommend using it especially for professional reasons. Every parent of my students owns a Gmail account and it makes communicating with them as well as people in my personal life so easy!

Pros

I like Google Chat because most people these days own a Gmail account, and I am able to chat with them directly from my Gmail homescreen. As an educator in particular, it is very helpful for me to send a parent a message when I see that they are online rather than having to wait for them to reply to an email. This helps me get things done quickly and to give and get feedback in my work. This also applies to my friends and family, many of whom have Gmail in the background. I love utilizing all of Google's tools because everything is so centralized in one area and helps me be efficient and quick. Plus I love that I can start a video call and add people to my conversations!!

Cons

What I like least about Google Chat is that the chatbox is somehow inconveniently placed and I have to constantly minimize it to send an email in the background. It would be helpful if I could move the box to where I need it, or if it could detach and be placed elsewhere on the screen. The only other thing I would say is that not everyone is always on their Gmail so I would not utilize this for the same purposes as Facebook Messenger, for example, but rather to reach people I see online immediately or for communication that I do not require an immediate response from.

Simply works

Pros

Talking to colleagues behind firewalls at their work is made simpler with g-chat. Because Google is getting more ingrained into the business culture, asking for advice or simple corresponding with people outside of my own company's network is that much easier when both parties can use the same chat service instead of passing slower emails back and forth.

Cons

My understanding is that you must utilize chat from within Gmail. This is fine generally speaking, but does make the experience unlike that of using messenger by facebook when you want to interact with many people at once or view past conversations quickly. The searching functionality is also baked into email search which makes it hard to find things that were in chat but not email without looking up specific search filters you wouldn't use elsewhere. So not hard, but annoying at times.

Ricardo from Belize Adventure Group

This is the best software to communicate with my colleagues

The experience has been great. We started with Google Hangouts, and this transition to Google chat has been excellent. Keeping the software simple and user friendly

Pros

This software is easy to use and creates chat groups for each out our company department. It keeps communications simple, fast, and easy to use. You can not only chat but also have video conferences with your teams

Cons

the video feature has room for improvement, but it has evolved so much I am really happy with this feature.

Reasons for Switching to Google Chat

Need an easy to use software for better price.

Mansi from Logitech

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Not a happy switch from Hangout

I liked hangout better than chat. Overall experience is satisfactory but not great.

Pros

Option to add a separate group as a room, sharing files directly from the computer and drive made easy.

Cons

Hangout had an option to name group chats. Here there is a need to create a separate room for any group, else Chat cannot be named which is a bit annoying.

Google made a switch:(

Darryl from Agreement Express

Google Chat Rocks!

Amazing product, it regularly receives updates and will make your team more collaborative

Pros

I love gsuite and google chat, the product is amazing for collaboration and works great with google drive.

Cons

I do not like when people ignore the threading functionality -- please add predictive feeeback to tell people when to use new threads!!!

Reasons for Switching to Google Chat

We wanted all gsuite products

The perfect solution to communicate at your computer and on the go

I can’t imagine my workday without Google chat. It is perfect for one on one chats or to can create a group and send it to multiple people at once. This has allowed others outside of my team to be able to communicate to everyone on my team efficiently. If you are using Google chat, what’s stopping you?

Pros

Google chat is used every single day within my organization. It is a quick and efficient way to be able to easily communicate with others. I love that you were able to search chats, if you choose to archive them, within your Gmail inbox. I also use it a lot to share images with colleagues. I use it on my phone and on my computer and it’s very quick and efficient. It is also used frequently by our team to do any video conferencing.

Cons

Honestly, I don’t have any cons about this software. I have never experienced any glitches or problems with it and it always operates smoothly.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,329 reviews