• icon"It has the PlayBook plug in right off the bat. Playbook helps assign various tasks in case of disaster and keeps a log of whatever is done and sent, so collaboration is good."
  • icon"It is very well designed, it allows usage of emojis and gifs, so communication within platform is fun after hard working day."
  • icon"Chat options, the emojis all the perfect. The integrations with 3rd party tools is also so easy and smooth."
  • icon"Getting mobile app and making it running is little bit hard because you need to know your chat server and its little bit hard for most people."
  • icon"Well, sometimes, I can't find the message I'm looking for with the research feature, but it surely is caused by bad search terms."
  • icon"Hard to see the history of the chats. You can not search in a concrete chat."

All Mattermost Reviews

Emily

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

Not the best collaboration software

Jander

March 2022

Facilitate communication with your team

Mattermost helps us a lot in communicating with the team. We can communicate with different teams and different projects. The tool has become essential for a good performance of projects.

Pros

Communication with channels, private or public; Individual communication; Integration with other solutions: Gitlab, for example; Possibility of using plugins.

Cons

Some bugs in notifications sometimes make us miss messages; Plugins do not work in the mobile app;

As an open source tool.

Reasons for switching to Mattermost

Because it only has basic communication features.

Mattermost: Self-Hosted Superior Alternative To Slack

Mattermost allows us to quickly keep connected to our colleagues across the world. It allows people to form groups and chat easily to many different teams, all within the same desktop app, web app, or mobile app.

Pros

This software is very easy to install and supports a simple Docker install, which makes it easy to keep up to date and secure. There are multiple examples on installing and running Mattermost in different cloud hosting environments, and the user community is also very helpful. Running the software locally means you can keep a much better eye on its security and usage. Its user management and directory integration is superior to Slack's. The desktop and mobile clients are fast and easy to install/configure/maintain.

Cons

There's not much that I dislike about Mattermost. Its open source nature may put some people off, but paid support and enterprise licensing solve that issue immediately.

Reasons for choosing Mattermost

Mattermost simply works far faster and more smoothly than Microsoft Teams, its apps are far more lightweight than the Microsoft offerings. Discord didn't have the features and open source nature that led us to Mattermost.

Reasons for switching to Mattermost

Slack's pricing and features were simply onerous and drove us away.

Fernando Matías

October 2022

Alternativa aceptable

En las versiones más recientes del software se ha mejorado bastante su usabilidad y sus características, así también como su estabilidad (principalmente, en sistemas operativos del tipo linux).

Pros

Tiene mucha facilidad de uso, y se implementa sin muchas complejidades para las necesidades de nuestro uso diario.

Cons

La configuración de ciertas características puede llegar a ser un poco tediosa.

Reasons for choosing Mattermost

Por las características que contaba y la mayor compatibilidad con los sistemas que tenemos desarrollados en la compañia.

Reasons for switching to Mattermost

Porque su manejo de los canales era más amigable e intuitivo que Slack

Mattermost user for more than 2 years -- here's my review

Pros

1. If you like a free messaging tool for your team, Mattermost might be for you. It is like a knock-off version of Slack. 2. It has a mobile app that can be accessed both in PlayStore and AppStore. 3. I love its customized emoji functionality! You can also react to each reply so it is very desirable for me. 4. Even though it is free, your messages do not expire and be auto-deleted, unlike in Slack -- I love this feature.

Cons

1. Reply functionality is a bit of a hassle because your replies tend to be a little bit scattered, unlike in Slack where it is more neat and organized.

Reasons for switching to Mattermost

Our company made a technology update

September 2022

Mattermost Review

We prefer Mattermost for real-time messaging within the team. The biggest reason why it is preferred is that it can be used internally. It is secure, successful in instant messaging, notifications arrive on time. Sometimes there is a problem with file sharing.

Pros

The interface is nice, real-time messaging is successful, the biggest plus is that it can be used internally.

Cons

Uploading files for file sharing is sometimes a problem and if you don't use the desktop application, you may experience problems with notifications.

Reasons for switching to Mattermost

The reason we chose BeeBEEP was because it is secure, serverless and free, but Mattermost meets these needs and its interface is much better, user friendly.

Fernando

April 2022

Awesome colaboration tool

We use mattermost for team communication in presencial and remote job. We change from mail communication to chat communication

Pros

Main features for us: easy use, on site option, boards and channels and easy API

Cons

I would like Mattermost has better video and call options

Reasons for switching to Mattermost

Because Mattermost can be installed on-site server

Ana

Good collaborative tool

It is good collaborative tool as alternative to slack.

Pros

I like how easy is to use and allows different "rooms" for collaboration for teams. It is a great tool for fast daily communication.

Cons

Not much that I didn't like but I have been using for so long different products so habbit of using and switching to it was a tricky part. Maybe lack of 3ed party connection to tools.

Reasons for switching to Mattermost

Some part of the team preferred to use it as management desided and choose it as for security data reasons.

Silvan

March 2022

A good alternative to Slack

We ended up looking for an alternative to Mattermost because of Slack's price-performance ratio and would switch again today.

Pros

Mattermost is constantly being developed and you can tell that it's going further. In addition, as a collaboration tool, it provides the most important information. No more and no less.

Cons

At the beginning (approx. 2018) it was still a bit unstable and some important features were still missing. This has gotten much better in 2022. Over the years, with many users, maintenance and upkeep should never be neglected. Otherwise it will be slow and have long loading times when changing channels etc. Plugins work, but not all are mature (e.g. Jitsi caused problems for us)

Reasons for switching to Mattermost

using more open source software ...

Wassim

November 2022

Pros

A great messaging tool for internal chatting with the co-workers. It has a great user interface and I like the fact that you can find a lot of gifs and create your own sticker. Very convenient and fun

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to keep track of thread messages. It would be better if threads can be more visible

I used this as a potential slack replacement.

Pros

It's free and integrates with gitlab. It has the same features as slack and doesn't have many of the limitations

Cons

It (used to at least) require your own notification service and wasn't as smooth as slack. The apps may have gotten better since I used it last (it's been about a year). Free Slack still tends to dominate the market.

Adam

Switched to Mattermost after using Slack extensively, but got sick of the 10000 message limit

A platform to discuss issues and feature ideas around our open source project, without cluttering up the threads on github. A great way to stay in touch with devs from all around the world.

Pros

That we can host it ourselves, for one. We used to use the free tier of slack, but quickly discovered that the message limit was causing issues when we needed to recall conversations had in the past. It's been relatively hassle-free in getting it set up, and the whole team love it! One or two of us (myself included) were inspired to brush up on some of our coding skills when we discovered it didn't quite have the integrations that slack did, and as such have learned a lot about how Mattermost is put together, and how to create bots to get the information we need via webhooks. The Mattermost developers and community at large have been very helpful in answering questions when we've come up against issues, and I have even got a couple of my integrations featured on the integrations page of their website!

Cons

Really, not a whole lot. Ideally I would like to be able to sign into multiple slack servers from the mobile app (though, the native app has really come along in leaps and bounds recently). The only thing I miss from the Slack days is a sidebar/widget that tells you the local times of the other users (handy when working with folk from overseas!), though we have recently developed our own slash command to return this information, it would be nice if it was built in to the server. I should probably feed this back to the devs.... ;)

Viorel-Cosmin

Our day with Mattermost

We solve the need to have a Support/Chat/Client support software, with this we have it all in one. It helped us keep communications across teams and countries painless. Integrated with all entire ecosystem from Taiga.io to Gitlab for a better DevOps experience. Overall every chance we had to contribute we toke it, thats why we decided to fully translate mattermost in Romanian language, do we did. If you need a centralized devops collaborative platform, give it a try!

Pros

One executable binary, simple to upgrade and maintain! Reliable self hosted alternative to other SaaS PaaS options. Cross-platform applications ready to use. Amazing open source community built around the product, friendly and helpful people!

Cons

It requires integration directory to allow users app deployment in mattermost ecosystem with ease. A bot repository is missing, this can fir next to all others apps and allow users automatic deployments of any apps from the store. Store idea is not a new concept, and a company that respects themselves should make use of own repository. Allow users to safely deploy tested and 100% working apps along their Mattermost instance.

paata

Industry: Computer Networking

mattermost review

I use mattermos mohr than one year, but still can not used to it. main reason is that when I get the new notification, I don't get some signal, or beep. it doesn't appears on screen. mattermost is in my company main communication system. if I would asked, I would changed it with skype for business, or lync

Pros

mattermost is our companies inside network. we use it everyday to communicate. I like it because I have it also in my mobile. now when I work remotely, i am not always nearby computer and with mattermost I am always in touch.

our company financial interess

Shawn

Mostly good, but I do feel it is a slightly lesser experience than some proprietary options.

Control over our hosting and data

Pros

Open source and self hosted, I don't get irritated if slack goes down and I don't have to worry about my data security or my data just being lost of the company goes belly up. This is far and away our primary reason for using this instead of Slack,Hipchat,Cisco, etc. It doesn't ask anywhere on this survey, but we use it for about 80 people, 60 staff and then various clients and contractors. We don't use many of the enterprise features, we just pay the licensing to support open source.

Cons

iOS and Android Apps are pretty idiocy, they're getting a bit better, but they are easily the worst part and I field lots of complaints about them. I would trade all new features and other fixes for faster and more reliable apps. The web interface is much better, but a bit buggy, nothing serious but little lags and quirks persist longer than I would expect. The install process is also a bit silly, copy pasting files and such, a provided .deb or a custom apt repository would be 100x better and save me upgrade time and downtime. The lack of this is surprising considering almost all other software I use has this, even when it is free or small.

Great for communication and to stay connected.

It is a great experience just that call options are not possible yet.

Pros

The best thing about mattermost is it has minimal crashed unlike Skype and here we can create groups and have the groups without the need to create the groups again and again. Also personal chats are possible. Anybody can join a group with an invitation. this is very useful in cases like a organization has a support group and all employees added to that group and communication is reachable to all the members. There is no limit for members in the group. A member can leave or join the group as required. Groups can be made private or public.

Cons

The only concern is mattermost doesn't have calling option.. this is the only drawback. Would be great if calling is enabled.

Reasons for switching to Mattermost

Too many crashes and poor performance