Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"The best solution for secure chat available. Works on desktop, laptop, and phone, so you can always get your messages."
  • icon"I was impressed with the chat quality and the features of the program like emoticons, chatting, you can send pictures to your friends and family."
  • icon"Works great for the price. You can use on desktop and mobile phone which has helped me with being on call all the time."
  • icon"Download time was rough but that might of been my computer had lag alot."
  • icon"The PC chat window is a little confusing for us at times."
  • icon"There is not much we don't like about this software."

Have you used Trillian and would like to share your experience with others?

All Trillian Reviews

Industry: Publishing

Great Alternative To The Bloated "Slack"

Trillian has been great. The alternative we looked at, Slack, just has too many features, is too expensive, and does way more than what I need. Trillian is perfect for our basic inter-office needs. They keep the client software regularly updated which is nice, and their server has excellent uptime. We rarely if ever experience outages. It's absolutely a five star product.

Pros

I have used Trillian since its days as a primarily IRC client. Then moved over to business use via AIM. When AIM shut down, we needed a solution for quick interoffice communication. Trillian had exactly what we needed without too many bloated features, and best of all it is extremely affordable per-user.

Cons

There's very little to dislike about Trillian. If I had a criticism at all, it would be that at times it's a bit to "cutesy" with audible "ha ha" sounds and animated emojis. They're fun on occasion, but in general I find them distracting in a work environment. It's a reach to criticize them, though.

Reasons for choosing Trillian

Slack was far too expensive and had far too many extras which we didn't need. We simply needed to be able to pass files back and forth easily, and chat about things inside our office. Slack was just too much. Trillian was perfect.

Reasons for switching to Trillian

AOL shut down their AIM service.

Joe

We love this platform!

This solved a very hard problem for us. Our practice management system has a communication module, but it only goes Tx to front desk, the front desk can't reply! We needed to have a running conversation between tx and the front, and also for different people to interact privately or without conversation. We love working with this. Setting up was easy easy easy and tech support has been great with everything.

Pros

We love the ease of communicating safely across the office and when we are out of the office. The HIPAA compliant feature makes this a great tool for staying connected in a place where we would otherwise be running around on foot!

Cons

The PC chat window is a little confusing for us at times. We use different chat groups for different purposes and if someone is looking at the wrong group window they may not see what they want or may write in the wrong setting. It's not bad, but a highlight of what the window is might help. Also, I'd love to be able to set different sounds for different groups and users so I know what I have to jump for and what I can ignore for a while. I have to monitor activity, but don't always need to respond so I'd like to set sounds so I know what's what.

Reasons for choosing Trillian

HIPAA HIPAA HIPAA! Security, ease of install and use, ease of adoption. HIPAA security. Oh, great price/value.

Reasons for switching to Trillian

Way too complicated for a very straight-forward communication problem.

Luis

Simple to use

it is really fast and reliable

Pros

It is easy to set up users, and add new contacts to the list

Cons

it doesn't have a video chat or audio chat option

Reasons for choosing Trillian

It is easy to migrate from the old IM that we had

Good Product

Excellent.

Pros

Ease of use for employees, ability to pull archives for reports.

Cons

Unable to edit main group (we have two companies under the same umbrella), we'd like to change the name of the main default group to be more encompassing. Chat Disclaimer is sent with every message or none. We are wanting to send a disclaimer to each user at least once. Ideally, every time a new chat window between users is opened it should appear once. The price is steep, every year is getting harder and harder to justify the cost to my board with lesser costly options like Microsoft Teams, etc.

Reasons for choosing Trillian

Easiest ability to use with tried and true track record.

Reasons for switching to Trillian

Product was server based and remote users needed to connect to the network via vpn to chat. We needed something cloud based.

Thomas

Industry: Publishing

Easy To Use and train up

Needed a simple and easy to use app that didn't require my IT department to hand hold existing users and provide extended training for new users as we have many ever changing off-site contributors.

Pros

Very easy to use and new users pick it up quicker than most apps. Plus, continual upgrade & updates make Trillian the best instant messenger for business.

Cons

Do not believe Trillian has any functional flaws- Only suggestions have been minor cosmetic changes which they usually respond to in a timely fashion.

Reasons for choosing Trillian

Ease of use and training for rotating off-site staff.

Ease of use.

Marianne

Industry: Veterinary

Excellent Communications Software

We love Trillian at work and find it so easy to communicate across departments in a large facility and also communicate when I am away from the office but need to be available to the whole team. Group messaging is especially helpful.

Pros

Ability to share attachments, ability to customize login info and visibility, mobile option. Group communication options are excellent.

Cons

Would love more media content like gifs to spice it up!

Reasons for choosing Trillian

Best features for the price. Not much else out there for similar price, at least when I researched.

Reasons for switching to Trillian

Yahoo discontinued their product. I had to find something reliable and affordable.

Barry

Industry: Shipbuilding

In 25 Years of Using Instant Messaging Software - Trillian is the BEST!

Great experience. Has greatly increased communication ability within the company! Great experience thus far!

Pros

Easy to use, small file size, quick, convenient

Cons

I haven't found any Cons in 2+ years of using this software.

Reasons for choosing Trillian

Pricing, ease of use, customer service.

Reasons for switching to Trillian

Yahoo Messenger has HORRIBLE... slow, lots of ads.... bogged down 3D CAD work stations.

Philip

Trillian is a great way for a team to comminucate

Improved communication within a team.

Pros

Trillian is a great solution for a team to communicate.

Cons

Integration with third party apps was not easy to figure out.

Reasons for switching to Trillian

Streamline team, department, and company-wide communications.

Emma

Great for our uses, but could do with a few feature updates

Our communication has improved, we were previously using walkie talkies, which while helpful, became distracting. Trillian is a more subtle way of communicating during clinic. Unfortunately, with this trillian is sometimes not noticed immediately by the user and so a way to distinguish urgency would be incredibly useful.

Pros

Ability to communicate in the moment with our team, ability to set up different groups, customization of notification sound/location

Cons

could do with a way to notify different levels of urgency in terms of sound and appearance

Reasons for choosing Trillian

Price point, excess features that we were not using, inability to show message text in notification bubble

Trillian: Great Instant messaging tool for cross messaging platforms

Overall the experience with Trillian was positive and it helped with communication with team-members but mostly on the 1-on-1 level.

Pros

I liked Trillian mostly for the ability to interact with different messaging platforms such as IRC, AIM, google chat, and many others.

Cons

It was hard to find a way to do a group chat, especially when trying to communicate to broadcast messages for the entire team.

Jeffrey

Trilian for healthcare

The software is solid, secure, and easy to use. The support is phenomenal. Thank you Trillian!

Pros

Cons

Looking forward to voice calling. Everything else is wonderful

Reasons for switching to Trillian

WhatsApp does not meet HIPAA, HITECH, and the final Omnibus guidelines. Also, Trillian is willing to sign a BAA which is essential for compliance.

Margy

Looking for Good Chat Options? Trillian May be For You!

Trillian was a simple way for my teammates and me to communicate, stay on top of projects and tasks, and collaboratively discuss happenings in our various offices. It helped us keep connect personally, which in turn helped us grow as a team professionally.

Pros

I want to be up front - I no longer use Trillian. It was the chat software of choice at my office five years ago when I began working there, but we eventually cycled through two options before landing where we are now (RingCentral, which is another ballgame). I though Trillian was a great option for chatting with team members in various locations (or within the same office without getting up). Working in a remote office, it is imperative that I remain in touch with my teammates. Trillian helped me do that in a simple, effective way with an easy-to-use, pleasant interface. I was pleased with the ability to toggle between chat streams easily with Trillian, and was also really grateful for the search function in each conversation. I find that chatting is very useful for intra-office communication, but without the ability to search (or archive) within chat streams, it's USELESS. We all need to be able to refer to our comments, questions and answers in order to properly do our jobs, and Trillian was aces in that regard. I also really appreciated the simplicity of the interface. I don't want to have to search and spend time figuring out HOW to chat with people. I just want to be able to chat. Trillian does exactly that.

Cons

When I was using Trillian, it did not have a very robust document collaboration function. My guess is that by now, Trillian has addressed this issue and has grown into cloud computing in the same way that other chat/collaboration tools have. Besides this one observation, I'd say I had no complaints about Trillian, and in fact truly enjoyed using the software.

Katie

Simple, Does the Job, Few Features, But Reliable

The marketing company that I work for as several "older" souls who aren't too savvy with Project Management Chat Software quite yet. Having this tool as a way to keep in touch and ping teammates has been helpful.

Pros

At first, I thought Trillian was just a sad AIM wannabe that the company I am working for wanted to relive the 90's with. As I got acclimated, I got used to the chat service. It's pretty simple to use, I enjoy the emojis, and having the historical chat messages archived has been a life saver.

Cons

I am patiently waiting a gif search and embed feature. Sometimes words and emojis just don't do the trick, and you need to harness the Michael Scott saying "NO NO NOOOO" gif to get your point across. I do occasionally have some issues with cross-platform synching. (when I chat via my desktop, the message isnt viewable on my iPhone/iMac), and since I switch hit from device to device, this can be pretty inconvenient.

Stephanie

Industry: Mental Health Care

Great IM Platform

Whenever I've contacted Trillian support, I've received fast responses and resolutions. The software is also fast and easy to use which means less training time for new hires.

Pros

I like you can choose to have your different chats in 1 window or separate. I like you can set your own status to something customized. I love the search function - it's quick to find people. I also like there's a mobile app.

Cons

When I sign into Trillian on my cell phone, my status resets to Online then I have to change it back to Away. I often keep my desktop up but need to walk away from my desk and use my mobile phone. I would like to have to option of your status showing in chat history. We put a lot of info in our status's. I would also like to see a few things merged such as Google calendar (so status's are updated automatically) and video conferencing.

Danny

Messaging and More Done Right

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and the team are amazing. They've listened to our feature requests and delivered! We love trillian and our business depends on it heavily every day.

Pros

Trillian is a solid messaging app. The feature we use most is the pier to pier file transfers. No upload/download... just send a file straight to the person you need to. We send a LOT of messages and a LOT of files on a daily basis. Mostly large files. Trillian has been the most solid messaging app we have ever used.

Cons

The only thing I don't like about the software is you need to activate the mobile app (even if it's running in the background) when you step away from your desktop if you want to receive messages. I would prefer it just go to both locations simultaneously.

Reasons for choosing Trillian

The pier to pier file transfer and familiarity of the interface.

Reasons for switching to Trillian

When AIM died we were worried about finding another pier to pier option. Trillian was hands down the best.

Ellie

Awesome Program

My overall experience is that it does exactly what we need it to do and that is to communicate within the firm.

Pros

Once Yahoo Messenger was discontinued I had to find a program that worked similarly like it as this was what we used as a form of communication within our Law Firm. The layout was pretty much like messenger and it was easy to navigate. It is simple and easy to use. We like that we can attach photos, docs and notifications are on point. I receive them on my computer as well as on my phone.

Cons

The only con that I can think of is the emoji's, I wish it had a bigger variety.

Reasons for choosing Trillian

I reviewed many other pro