All NextGen Office Reviews

Entertainment, 10,000+ employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed June 2020

NextGen Healthcare-Still a leader in Patient/Physician communication

This was a Premiere Patient and Physician portal many years ago and worked so smoothly. I did live in another state, but happily when researching my info for older records, this Portal was still there and had all I needed. I did not pursue moving items to another portal that some of my doctors use today since they seems to be on an ever evolving and ever revolving system of chaos on some of the models being implemented currently. This wasn't broken, so I wish it had stayed for many other people. But a refreshing relief to still find it and get to use it. It may be working in other parts of the world and in those places I hope that the users feels as good as I do about it.

PROS

I needed to find some older records from another place and time. My portal still was available from 2014 and I had many and virtually all options available to me despite being in other Physician based web portals over the years. Beyond Helpful.

CONS

I only dislike that it is phased out in many common places and dominated by more complex systems. I experienced this issue recently at a physicians office.

Vipul

Reviewed March 2020

family physician review

I'm overall happy. Every EHR system has its pros and cons, but I believe Nextgen Office has a very good combination of ease of use and overall cost.

PROS

It is very easy to complete my notes at the time of examination of the patients

CONS

whenever an upgrade or maintenance is completed over a weekend, many times we run into problems coming back to work on that Monday. For examples, slowness, screen freezes up, etc. The latest incident was this past weekend. It was eventually corrected on the Monday, but it slows us down.

Reason for choosing NextGen Office

more cost effective, and in my opinion easier to use

Reasons for switching to NextGen Office

The integration between the EHR and practice management was important to me, and at the time of my switch, Practice Fusion didn't offer this

Cheryl

Medical Practice

Reviewed September 2014

Great potential, but needs some improvement!

PROS

They are improving the product consistently. There have been two product updates since we started with them in March. Customer service has improved greatly as well. 99% of the time someone who picks up the phone and helps you with your problems. They have daily webinars that are free of a particular topic, so you can log in, ask questions, get help, and then log off. The product has a lot of great things such as ease of sending the charges from the docs to the billing department, seeing the exact statement that a patient received so you can talk to them more intelligently, getting lots of detail on the claims, rescheduling a patient from one day to the next, and blocking a portion of the schedule or opening a portion of the schedule.

CONS

You can submit issues via email, but once they respond back, they close the case. Even if they didn't give you the answer you were looking for, you then have to email again and reference the case requiring you to print everything to keep track, because there is no way to follow the status of your case. If you submit feature requests, there is no way to know if they are working on it, aren't considering it, holding it for a future update, etc. There are specific reports that you can get, but if you need something that's not pre-built, there is very little way to obtain the info, if at all. I requested some kind of report writer. The reports all come out as an Excel spreadsheet which is good, because it allows you to manipulate and move around the data, but when you print it's very unwieldy and not pretty. They need to have a way to convert the report to a PDF format once you have it the way you like. Many of the reports don't offer options such as picking providers, locations, payers, so you have to manipulate the report after it opens to delete what you do not need, which is time consuming. The software is extremely dependent on location, which means everything you do has to be done by location creating a lot of work. If you have many offices, your docs do surgery in several locations and they are outpatient or inpatient. Changing or adding something has to be done many times, because you do it by location. It would be easier if there was a drop-down listing your locations and you only had to check the locations to which your additions or changes were applicable. Parts of the software feel as if they are too structured and everything has to fit into their predetermined way to do things. There is not enough flexibility and leeway to change portions that suit your practice. Vendor training was not great when we started and we paid for an outside vendor that works with Healthfusion to come on site and train us. I understand that the help and training portions have changed a bit since then and may be better. It has great potential if they would open up the software and be more flexible!

erin

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Reviewed April 2024

Next gen is a wonderful tool for the office and for customer service personnel to use.

PROS

The real time updating is amazing a patient can call right away with questions and we can get the answers.

CONS

I really do not have a negative. I enjo9y this product.

Barry

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2019

Get to know it

Took a while to learn the system, but in’s you learn the ins and outs of navigation it a breeze

PROS

Everything thing you need is there. Options are unlimited. Navigation is straight forward once you learn the system. Support is knowlegible and fast.

CONS

Tough to learn. Training team needs a lot to be desired

Reason for choosing NextGen Office

Betting linking with other ears , but tough decision

Reasons for switching to NextGen Office

Bad support and very expensive to use

Dalton

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Reviewed July 2020

Limited Customization & Difficult Corporate Team

I would not recommend working with this company/software. There are numerous options in the market at comparable price points that offer superior products.

PROS

Provides standard EMR and Practice Management functionality. If all you're looking for is a simple EMR to track your patient encounters, this software is a decent option.

CONS

1. Extremely difficult to transfer from other EMRs to this system. Beware that there will be a lot of manpower needed in order to get you up and running unless you're willing to pay expensive migration rates. 2. Account management and customer support teams are unorganized and inefficient. Often you have difficulty finding somebody who can answer your questions. 3. The pricing is based on a per physician basis. If you have a provider leave your practice/company, you are not allowed to terminate prior to your next renewal date. You could be left with significant fees for unused licenses if your company has any turnover. Their team offered no flexibility with fees during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Reason for choosing NextGen Office

The cost of NextGen was less that the others. We did not factor in the additional features that come with ECW or Epic. Either would have been a vastly better pick for our company due to the desire to customtize the account to best fit the needs of both our patients and providers.

Reasons for switching to NextGen Office

We outgrew P2P mostly due to our desire to bill insurance. The NextGen sales team showed the robust features of the software. Unfortunately, they did not display the difficulties that come withe using this product.

Nathan

Reviewed August 2020

NextGen is not user friendly

I was unhappy with the product because it slowed me down and required so much excess minutia in button clicking and scrolling. Overall it is a very inconvenient software to use. Eventually I became accustomed to it, but you realize how bad it is once you switch to a better software

PROS

The layout is fairly readable. Sometimes it is nice to click on a box and have it instantly bring up a table to select different options, but it is generally annoying and difficult to customize.

CONS

Excessive tabs, scrolling, and button-clicking. It is very time-consuming to complete exam charts due to the poor layout design of the system. The layout design does not utilize monitor real estate very well.

Reasons for switching to NextGen Office

We switched softwares due the choice of certain administrators in the organization. I eventually left and switched back to Compulink because I had a much better experience with Compulink originally.

Jay

Reviewed September 2019

About to go live

In my heart I know, after the growing pains, it will be a good product. They have a lot of videos to watch and webinars available. Call back is never as quick as when you need help.

PROS

2015 certified APMA partnered to work with them. NextGen uses APMA registry. Health Fusion was already purchased by NextGen so they aren't going anywhere. Customizable

CONS

1. It looks great when sales people show you but out of the box requires A LOT of customization. Of course, the good is that it is able to be customized - but YOU do it. 2. YOU do all work. They show you but you DO it 3. Many of the verbage they use looks good until you READ it. Then you realize how many changes YOU need to make.

Reason for choosing NextGen Office

Sammy not 2015 certified Small company (may be sold) - MM has scared me. Otherwise, this was a GREAT podiatry software

Reasons for switching to NextGen Office

MM closing up shop - sucks

Christian

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

Reviewed December 2018

NextGen for Small to Midsize Healthcare Organizations

After over a decade of being a user, trainer, then developer supporting this software, I’ve seen how the software is used in healthcare organizations small, medium, and large. From experience NextGen is good for Small and Medium organizations because it’s easier to handle a moderate amount of customizations and frequency of updates/fixes with the current 8.x KBM and 5.9x App versions. Reporting is strong with the NextGen application suite because it’s based off of SQL. Vendor Support has improved over the decade I have dealt with NG.

PROS

I like that the NextGen application suite is highly customizable.

CONS

The need for many service packs or updates to address known issues.

patti

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

Reviewed November 2023

NextGen is a great option for your medical billing needs.

Overall, I had a great experience with NextGen. The report features were nice in that you can save and share the reports amongst other users.

PROS

The software is user friendly. I liked the reporting function and the ease of creating and sharing reports.

CONS

Some of the data could be misconstrued based on the various date options within NextGen. For example, there were transaction dates, dates of service and dates of entry.

Jon

Reviewed March 2020

Shady ethical practices

In order to get my auto bill pay to stop I had to change my credit card number. NextGen would not stop extracting monthly payment from autopay that I had established years before. This company made a great deal of money from me for the years and the parting thanks was an exit gouge for all the money they could get. I spent many hours in discussion and in correspondence with the company to resolve this issue. Each person with whom I spot expressed understanding but said they didn't have authority to made the decision of turning off the automatic billing, even though I wasn't using the product. They acknowledged that I did notify the company but I notified the "wrong" department.

PROS

It was accessible in the cloud. I was able to free text fairly easily.

CONS

I had to nag my regional representative to get a response. He acted like he just didn't have time to help with issues. I needed to archive my records because I was retiring. My rep and the technical backup team from NextGen did not speak with a different department (billing). The billing department felt that I should given earlier notification in order not to fulfill a yearly billing cycle. It became apparent to me that the various departments don't communicate with each other. The billing department could have honored my telephonic and email communications that I had with two of their other departments and simply closed my account in a month or two. They chose to stiff me for a complete year of billing.

Reason for choosing NextGen Office

Stay away from NextGen. They are a shady company. Given that their right hand doesn't know what their left hand is going, the customer is left to make up for their failure to internally communicate. Exiting the company into retirement was a goat rope to say the least.

Reasons for switching to NextGen Office

I switched to MediTouch because it was cloud based. MediTouch was purchased by NextGen and that is when the trouble began.

Deidre

Reviewed February 2012

We are a single physician clinic in rural Texas. My physician is also my husband, and he is a board certified Family Practice osteopathic physician practicing in the same clinic for almost 30 years now. Our clinic is busy, and my staff is small. Employees are cross-trained in medical assisting and clerical duties and often cover each other depending on patient needs and/or staff absences. Having MediTouch PM software has given me a peace of mind, regarding patient care business needs, that I never had with prior computer programs. The system gets the insurance information correct and the insurance forms completed so much better than anything I've used in the past 15 years or more. I have less missed charges thanks to the patient page showing the listing of a patient's office visits. If the charges have not yet been entered, there is an "ENTER" beside the date just waiting to be clicked. This better assures the correct dates are posted. Staff uses the recall options to follow up on patient care and schedule future appointments with less chance of letting a patient slip by without follow up. The Electronic Remittance Advice documents are wonderful - no more paper and everything in one place. The search options allow us to go back to anything as needed. Automatic posting saves time and frees staff for other tasks. At present, we are operating with one less staff member as when we first began to use the system. As the physician's manager and wife, I appreciate that I can work on this day and night (for better or worse) without being tied to the clinic building. I am here at my home desk completing this review right now. I can finish posting claims, follow up on denied claims, generate and print statements all without carrying home boxes of papers. Having the data for both management and health records stored off-site is a blessing to me. The constant fear of system crashes and failed backups is over. I do not have the burden of upgrading to newer and more powerful servers at the clinic, but can use money to by better single computers that can connect with HealthFusion remotely and not to a central in-house server system. I am still learning many aspects of the system, and anything not yet learned is entirely my own fault as HealthFusion has improved the training materials greatly over the past year. They are now easy to find and access. My time is all that needs to be planned because they have done everything else for us. Reports are available if I want them, too. I have seen our clinic income increase; payments come more quickly and less error thanks to the MediTouch PM system. Whenever I do find areas that I think need attention, the customer service is quick to respond and have taken my suggestions into implementation on a few occasions. They are very personable and professional whenever we call, although I tend to use email when possible. The replies are quick and complete. We signed up for the programs in November 2010 based on promotional programs that were offered via the American Osteopathic Association. We didn't jump in to actually using the product until the following June when e-prescribing was required. If I could go back, I would have started the programs' use much earlier. I was simply afraid to jump in and leave our old systems behind. To my surprise, the transition has been easy. Thank you very much for the chance to share this experience. I do not mind providing more details if needed.

Saeed

Reviewed December 2016

Dermatology Office Using MediTouch's HealthFusion for nearly 1 year

In 2015, I spent countless hours reviewing/sampling one EHR after another to find a good fit for what we needed/wanted in an EHR. We were moving from paper and wanted a cloud-based solution. As a dermatology office, we absolutely need the ability to document patient's skin findings on a diagram. HealthFusion was one of the few that gave this ability and even allowed us to upload our own images which we have designed for quick easy use. Most dermatologists will utilize a more derm-specific product such as Modernizing Medicine's EMA, PracticeStudio, etc, however, another criteria we wanted in our EHR was something that was truly platform-independent and browser-independent -- could work on a ChromeOS computer, a Mac, a Windows machine, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer, etc. Again, MediTouch's HealthFusion EHR & Practice Management product provided this capability while other derm-specific products did not and continue not to. We also do our billing in-house and wanted a robust billing product. MediTouch is their own clearinghouse which is a big benefit so when there are issues, we don't hear from our vendor "Oh it's a problem with the Clearinghouse", instead MediTouch customer service tells us "Oh we need to fix that". Customer service is overall very good - it is here in the United States (Pacific Coast which is our local time zone) and available relatively quickly. So why not five stars? Well, the EHR itself is not designed very well for a specialty-specific practice like ours so we went through a process of customizing it for our needs. We are happy that customization was available however it was a daunting and time consuming process. While the EHR system allows for some meaningful use and PQRS measures it does NOT collect data for specialty-specific measures so it's basically useless for our PQRS/MU/MACRA reporting needs. Which is very unfortunate and might force us to move to a derm-specific product.

PROS

Platform-independent (works on ChromeOS, MacOS, iOS, Android, etc.) Browser-independent (works in Chrome, Safari, Edge, Internet Explorer, Opera, etc) Cloud-based with no need for specific hardware/software in-house. Local to our time zone (Pacific) with U.S. based customer service Clearinghouse is in-house with the vendor Speed of operation - there have been moments when the cloud-based

CONS

Lack of specialty-specific Meaningful Use, PQRS, and MACRA measures Need for heavy customization for the purposes of documenting specific scenarios (specialty or otherwise) Extra components within standard documentation unnecessary for most specialties Integration of PM and EHR could be a bit better

Kevin

Reviewed April 2020

Don't waste your hardwork or time trying to use or implement.

Beyond terrible. Do not waste your time

PROS

None. Beyond bad. The other programs are much better even with some frustation. This is easily the worst.

CONS

1. Nextgen customer service for implentation is an absolute joke. I had spoken to so many different employees and none seem to know what they are doing. Common answer to questions and you are placed on hold while they ask someone else or transferred to the next employee. 2. Difficult to set up. Eclinicals, practice fusion, and athena got it right. Next gen is so wrong. If you are going to make it difficult to set up, maybe have employees trained how to use your program. 3. After about 3 years of using the program and trying to put up with the short comings, I had switched EMR programs. Boy, did I forget how much better my life is with out Nextgen. I can leave work with records completed. Other programs are just so much more efficient. 4. Just when you think you are out of the Nextgen trap. They will hold you records hostage. I was served a subpeona to request for a medical record, patient sueing an employer. I requested the record for 2 weeks and still have not received the record. I had missed the deadline, now probably in contempt of court. Please save your sanity and choose a different program.

Reasons for switching to NextGen Office

The others are better. Personally Practice Fusion is the best.

Reviewed November 2017

NextGen has been easy to learn and has grown with the changes that occur in the medical field.

We transitioned from paper charts to this EHR. The process was challenging but nextgen navigated us through all of the ups and downs it takes to get through scanning paper records and training staff. We have improved all processes since the initial implementation. We have from scheduling on the front end to the billing and statements on the back end we improved those processes. We took our antiquated tickler tab system for prior authorization of our outpatient surgical procedures and moved it to an electronic way to tracked, authorize and then schedule procedures. This cut down on any procedure being schedules before it was approved. This help improve revenue in the long run. The benefits of patient portal are still being realized. Patients can communicate with office staff on their own schedule. After implementing online billing and payment options our payments on account have increased a great deal.

PROS

The ability to track authorizations using tasking and worklog as patient portal and how the messages easily populate into the front desk inbox. Patient portal can easily route the messages appropriately. And last, the ability to customize it to the needs of our specific practices slash specialty!

CONS

The ongoing upgrades although I know that is necessary for any EHR. Also there is no "reschedule" option for appointments. You can cancel then rebook and look at reschedule history but I personally like a reschedule button then follow the sequence needed.

Shirley

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2017

Not what we were hoping for

We have about eight months into this software and are still struggling with very basic issues such as claims not making it to the carrier and reports not functioning to our (or our clients') level of expectation. I cannot report on many fields in the system and despite being told in the beginning that their reporting tool was being enhanced and we could report on individual fields, and spend additional money to export data so we could create our own reports. Clients are increasingly frustrated with inability to get eligibility checks on many of their common carriers and to get anything much beyond just confirmation of coverage (not outline of actual benefits, etc.) Collections module is clunky and we have not found it to be effective. On the upside, claims entry is fairly simple, and auto posting is a breeze, as is data entry of patient information.

PROS

Autoposting is fantastic. We find it does it correctly close to 100% of the time. When the system cannot effectively autopost, it "flags" the RA so that you can address it individually. When we initially converted, we found that importing patient demographics was refreshingly simple and something we could do on our own without additional costs. Patient demographics are easy to enter and maintain.

CONS

Reporting is completely ineffective. Canned reports don't balance against each other, and it's hard to quantify values. Not much assistance from Customer Service, although they do try to be helpful. EDI process has been nothing short of challenging. From enrollment issues in the beginning to claims submission and follow-up issues, we are finding as we work AR several months later we're still having issues with some of our claims from early on which can't seem to arrive at the payer, despite acceptance confirmation from Healthfusion/ENS. It's costing us hours of time on the phone and lost productivity. We also cannot actually see the acceptance reports and are told we can't have access to those because they're in larger batches, which again creates additional phone calls and work on our part.

Phillip

Reviewed May 2013

I've always been intrigued with the idea of automating as much as possible in the doctor's office. In addition, I am very compulsive about the quality of clinical note that I write. Over the years this has created circumstances where I would get behind on my documentation simply because I didn't have the time to write a quality note until the weekend. I have spent a very large amount of time off work on completing these charts. I saw MediTouch at a Texas Osteopathic Medical Association meeting and was fascinated with the scope of it's abilities in practice management and medical documentation and the relative simplicity of its use. The reasonableness of the cost was also attractive to me, particularly after going home and calculating the amount of money I spent on printing, mailing, and licensing fees for my checklist medical record system which I was using at the time. I was amazed to find that it saved me $1500.00 a month by a conservative estimation; not to mention improving the accuracy of my insurance filing, and the turnaround time of my payments. The responsiveness of the people at HealthFusion is also quite good. If there is an issue, there are multiple ways to get in touch - including after-hours emergency contact ability, which I have actually used once on a Sunday night. My problem on that occasion was resolved almost immediately. Implementation was a major learning curve as we did it on the fly (as we had been encouraged to do), and while this was extremely trying, it did speed the implementation process along quite well. The fact that the training program is on the Internet and easily accessed is quite good; although, as a constructive criticism, the training program actually could benefit the user if it were streamlined and changed from the format of hour-long lectures. I love walking into the treatment room with an iPad under my arm and not having to leaf through six-inch thick charts to find last year's laboratory work or an x-ray that I need to compare to this year's. I really love ePrescribing in the patient room to any pharmacy in the country, and knowing a call back will not occur because the pharmacist can't read the prescription. The first year we started using the system, I was on a Mediterranean cruise and refilled some prescriptions using my iPad from a lounge in the ship because I could. As for my documentation compulsion, I dictate personalization nuances into the available visit templates in MediTouch using Dragon NaturallySpeaking (which I have been training for over 8 years). I walk out of the office with all of my charts done, and all of my insurance claims completed almost every day.

Monica